Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (124) « First ... « 121 122 [123] 124 »
May 14, 2020 7:49 AM

Apr 2017
Posts #6087 to #6112 merged from duplicate thread.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
May 14, 2020 1:20 PM
Sep 2017
You put Bleach over Dragon Ball Z?!! DBZ is the pioneer. Idk Bout Super But DBZ Is always gonna be in the top 3 yall Tripping.
Mc Basilic Stanley

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 14, 2020 1:39 PM
Nov 2016
Mikasa said:
That's an un-insightful explanation to say the least. "Protecting your body from a bomb.... with your body"

The range of the bomb doesn't allow Pell to be out of range. When it comes to nukes, not being at point-blank range by a bit is still technically being at point-blank, same results.
thats like saying you can’t break your fall with your hands
Apr 6, 2021 7:56 AM
Jul 2016
How current popular shonen action shows like MHA, Demon Slayer, Black Clover or Jujutsu Kaisen compares to older shonens like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece in your opinion? and if you want, how they compares to other older shonens like Dragon Ball, Yuyu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin and the likes aswell?

What do you think are better at or worse at and why?
Apr 6, 2021 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
i'd say that they're a lot weaker story wise, characters aren't written as well either...
Apr 6, 2021 8:06 AM

Jan 2020
Highly depends on how well they utilize the old formula and improve upon it. Jujutsu Kaisen is a good example of what modern shonen can achieve and is better than most older generation shonens.
Apr 6, 2021 8:06 AM
Aug 2020
They have much better anime adaptations, HxH, Demon Slayer, Mha, and jojo's are all adapted way better than bleach or one piece were, also they have less filler. However in terms of manga I feel like the shounen of the past is better, my two favorite shounen anime of the decade are jojo and hxh which are both old manga
Apr 6, 2021 8:07 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
I love them,
but they ain't shit compared to the OGs.

I can get so invested in the OG worlds (Dragon Ball, One Piece, Bleach)... but I can never find the same investment in modern battle shounen. Demon Slayer, Nanatsu no Taizai and Jujutsu Kaisen are just "decent" to me. Don't get me wrong, I think they're good, but on a personal level, I will never have the same investment I did in the OGs. They just don't have the same feeling on interest I do from the OGs

It has nothing to do with when I watched them either, since I only started Dragon Ball Z last week, and I started One Piece/Bleach the same time I did with stuff like MHA and Nanatsu no Taizai.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2021 8:11 AM

Feb 2019
Old shounen > new shounen in every way except animation.
Apr 6, 2021 8:12 AM

Nov 2018
None at Naruto or One Piece level (I didn't watch enough of Bleach to form an opinion). Not a single aspect done better if we exclude animation quality obviously. Stories aren't as compelling, characters aren't as inspirational and music as well as voice performances aren't as impactful.

It's even more embarrassing compared to Dragon Ball, Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho or Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan level.
Apr 6, 2021 8:13 AM
Dec 2020
Mirabem said:
None at Naruto or One Piece level (I didn't watch enough of Bleach to form an opinion). Not a single aspect done better if we exclude animation quality obviously. Stories aren't as compelling, characters aren't as inspirational and music as well as voice performances aren't as impactful.

It's even more embarrassing compared to Dragon Ball, Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho or Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan level.
how are naruto characters inspiring?
Deathlydash
Apr 6, 2021 8:15 AM
Jul 2018
Ehh, overall weaker for me but most are still good.
Apr 6, 2021 8:18 AM
Oct 2015
Tbh, One Piece doesn't nearly have half the amount of blood and death in the new shounens. I appreciate KnY and JJK or mainly CSM for breaking the usual troupe of having such a lame cliché from shounen.

That aside, DB and OP are legends these new shows could never pass (talking about manga here, OP anime sucks btw). Naruto and Bleach, on the other hand, got blown away from the new ones. I mean the new ones are doing it better than what they've accomplished.

No matter which manga shows up, YYH has the best Tournament Arc in the history of Shounen, period. HxH is inferior to YYH, fight me.
Jul 2018
Black Clover and MHA are both inspired by Naruto. Even though MHA has better writing for it's story and characters, I like Black Clover a lot more. Asta gives me more Naruto vibes with his personality and fearlessness when fighting. I feel like Deku as a battle shounen character overthinks things and is too hesitant when it comes to fighting. His development in his character and powers is also pretty slow, which doesn't really help with me immediately getting invested in him. There's also too much dialogue and introspection from the characters. The writing of Black Clover's characters and story also improves over time.

Deathlydash said:
Mirabem said:

How are they not?
removed-userApr 6, 2021 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
The nu shonens I think are better than the big 3 of the 00s which is on par with the big 3 of the 90s which is fucking atrocious compared to the big 3 of the 80s.
Apr 6, 2021 8:21 AM
Jul 2016
ChartTopper60 said:
I love them,
but they ain't shit compared to the OGs.

I can get so invested in the OG worlds (Dragon Ball, One Piece, Bleach)... but I can never find the same investment in modern battle shounen. Demon Slayer, Nanatsu no Taizai and Jujutsu Kaisen are just "decent" to me. Don't get me wrong, I think they're good, but on a personal level, I will never have the same investment I did in the OGs. They just don't have the same feeling on interest I do from the OGs

It has nothing to do with when I watched them either, since I only started Dragon Ball Z last week, and I started One Piece/Bleach the same time I did with stuff like MHA and Nanatsu no Taizai.

Interesting, i think a big difference is how mostly older shonen were structured, first of all, older shonen were meant to be far longer, lasting years and years before ending, this means you can have enough time until reaching a point in getting fullly invested.

Another key factor is the pacing, older shonen were much slower in pacing, with longer arcs, but this also served as a way to built a lot of stuff and expand worldbuilding, that way ending with a big pay off. Modern shonens on the other hand tends to be more fast paced, more straight to the point and overall quicker in delivery, they rely more in instant gratification. But i like both approach tho, i feel both have their virtues and flaws.
Apr 6, 2021 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
Here is the list I operate on:

Big 3 of the 10s
MHA
Demon Slayer
AOT

Big 3 of the 00s
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece

The transitioning period, late 90s to mid 00s big 3
Yu-Gi-Oh
Pokemon
Digimon

Big 3 of the 90s
DBZ
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu Yu Hakusho

Big 3 of the 80s
Saint Seiya
Dragon Ball
Hokuto no Ken

Shadow Titles
HxH
JoJo
FMA

problems?
removed-userApr 6, 2021 8:29 AM
Apr 6, 2021 8:32 AM

Feb 2019
Jbril said:

Big 3 of the 10s
MHA
Demon Slayer
AOT

Big 3 of the 00s
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece

Yu-Gi-Oh
Pokemon
Digimon

Big 3 of the 90s
DBZ
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu Yu Hakusho

Big 3 of the 80s
Saint Seiya
Dragon Ball
Hokuto no Ken

Shadow Titles
HxH
JoJo
FMA

problems?

There is only one big three in manga.
Apr 6, 2021 8:33 AM
Jul 2018
Sakuta002766 said:
Jbril said:

Big 3 of the 10s
MHA
Demon Slayer
AOT

Big 3 of the 00s
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece

Yu-Gi-Oh
Pokemon
Digimon

Big 3 of the 90s
DBZ
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu Yu Hakusho

Big 3 of the 80s
Saint Seiya
Dragon Ball
Hokuto no Ken

Shadow Titles
HxH
JoJo
FMA

problems?

There is only one big three in manga.

True.

For manga it is Dragon Ball, Golgo 13, and One Piece.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga
Apr 6, 2021 8:40 AM

Nov 2018
Deathlydash said:

Naruto has many problems, one of them being messy characterization at times when it comes to main characters, but if you take a look beyond them, you find characters like Pain, Itachi, Jiraiya, Minato or Kakashi who make the whole cast of those modern Shounen anime seem like babies. And I'm not talking about age nor muscles.
Apr 6, 2021 8:42 AM

Jul 2020
Lol you just awakened those generic old anime>new anime thinkers.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 6, 2021 8:50 AM
Jul 2016
Mirabem said:
Deathlydash said:

Naruto has many problems, one of them being messy characterization at times when it comes to main characters, but if you take a look beyond them, you find characters like Pain, Itachi, Jiraiya, Minato or Kakashi who make the whole cast of those modern Shounen anime seem like babies. And I'm not talking about age nor muscles.

I feel this is extremely biased tho.

I think you can find characters as inspiring in modern shonens as well, such as All Might, Endeavor, Mirio (MHA), Rengoku (KnY), Yami Sukehiro (Black Clover) Nanami (JJK) and so on.
TheBlackPlagueApr 6, 2021 8:55 AM
Apr 6, 2021 8:53 AM

Nov 2019
Read the Pain Arc and experienced how Jiraiya was one of the finest ninja. Never have had that feeling again, even with Attack on Titans, DBZ and Nar istelf.
SgtBateManApr 6, 2021 9:00 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 6, 2021 9:10 AM
Aug 2020
I would honestly say it's neither better or worse
Apr 6, 2021 9:21 AM

Nov 2018
DeepRiver said:
I feel this is extremely biased tho.
I think you can find characters as inspiring in modern shonens as well, such as All Might, Endeavor, Mirio (MHA), Rengoku (KnY), Yami Sukehiro (Black Clover) Nanami (JJK) and so on.

Of course, it's definitely according to my opinion. That's what was asked. But I actually gave many of those modern Shounen anime a chance too and even enjoyed them at times. It's not like I just want to hate what's popular and stay blinded by nostalgia. I'm as critical when it comes to the older ones (Dragon Ball being the only exception because it means much more to me).

Also, among the characters you mentioned, only All Might is passable, but Boku no Hero Academia seems to enjoy destroying the few good characters it has, although this is another subject. I guess Yami is likeable too. No comment about the others because people won't be able to discern disliking from hating.
Apr 6, 2021 9:31 AM

Jun 2011
I remember when big 3 meant Sailor Moon, DBZ and Pokemon

I think I am just not the target audience anymore. And I’ve always preferred the more adventure-based shonen like original Dragonball and Inuyasha.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 6, 2021 9:33 AM

Jun 2020
Older ones are much better than the newer ones story wise and character wise.
Apr 6, 2021 9:36 AM

Nov 2018
SgtBaitMan said:
Read the Pain Arc and experienced how Jiraiya was one of the finest ninja.

That's not kind. Make a fairer comparison. Not with one of the best arcs in manga history.
Apr 6, 2021 9:37 AM

Nov 2019
Mirabem said:
SgtBaitMan said:

That's not kind. Make a fairer comparison. Not with one of the best arcs in manga history.

There are the rest of my words. They'll explain everything. It's the peak of Naruto, so of course the development ended there.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 6, 2021 9:38 AM
May 2019
I love new shounens compare to old ones, old shounens are bad except for few
Apr 6, 2021 9:53 AM

Nov 2019
Mirabem said:
SgtBaitMan said:

By the way, the Chunin Exam arc was hell of a ride too. Jujutsu Kaisen? No.

Apr 6, 2021 10:24 AM

Sep 2020
They're kinda just the same but higher quality

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
anime-primeApr 6, 2021 3:14 PM
Apr 6, 2021 10:33 AM

Nov 2018
SgtBaitMan said:
Mirabem said:

It's the peak of Naruto, so of course the development ended there.

Agreed. Naruto lost itself quite a few times after that and never reached such level again.

SgtBaitMan said:
By the way, the Chunin Exam arc was hell of a ride too.

Definitely, Orochimaru in the shadows, Lee opening the gates, Shikamaru's big brain, etc. One hell of a ride.
Apr 6, 2021 10:53 AM

Feb 2020
Both are good.

newer ones are more refined, but unoriginal

older ones are less refined but feels more original.

I like naruto doesn't mean I can't like MHA too

So yeah both are pretty good.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 6, 2021 10:54 AM
Apr 2020
I think nostalgia and the age you were while watching the battle shounen play's a big role. I feel the younger generation born in the 10's may find the current big 3 to be the best even if they do go back later on to watch the older eras of the big 3.
Apr 6, 2021 11:05 AM

Jun 2016
on god jujutsu fanboys are the new mha kind of fanboy, I wish they could be more self-aware like Demon slayer, TPN, Fire Force or Dr Stone fandoms to name a few...
Apr 6, 2021 11:17 AM

Jun 2011
KingCanute said:
on god jujutsu fanboys are the new mha kind of fanboy, I wish they could be more self-aware like Demon slayer, TPN, Fire Force or Dr Stone fandoms to name a few...
no, it feels like they are the new HXH fandom LOL
Apr 6, 2021 11:20 AM

Apr 2020
I wouldn't know. I don't watch a lot of battle shounen anymore.

beep boop bop pow
Apr 6, 2021 11:25 AM

Jun 2016
Energetic-Nova said:
KingCanute said:
You went for the only battle shounen I gave a 10? sooo badass D:
Apr 6, 2021 11:40 AM
Sep 2019
Pain invasion, Water7-Ennies Lobby, Soul Society

>I see only Black Clover's elf invasion coming a bit close to one of those three.
>My hero Academia is very basic, doesn't have any emotional bits like the big three
>Demon Slayer is being carried by Ufotable. The story is solid and the best is yet to come in the anime, but the ending itself needs to be reworked, because it was bad.
Apr 6, 2021 11:41 AM

Dec 2015
look my guy Imma say something

"You may delay, but time will not"

Everything has its own era, take DB brings back good memories but if I compare it as if I watched it for the first time now it wouldn't have the same effect.

The big 3, Naruto, One-piece, and bleach
Just compare one piece now to 12years ago, this time we live in now is heavily based on quality and not quantity. We expect perfection, not random things. Bleach coming back sooner or later and it's gonna be a blast with the new technics and helpful devices. Lastly, Naruto.... just look at Boruto it's basically naruto but the shittier story.

I won't deny that old anime made my childhood and I have respect for them but the new animes are better for the most part. example JJK, Vinland saga, YLIA, aot and many many more.

I'm level on mal-badges.
Apr 6, 2021 11:54 AM

Oct 2018
Both Jujutsu Kaisen and Kimetsu are better than Naruto and Bleach.
I don't know about One Piece
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Apr 6, 2021 11:59 AM

Jan 2019
It's overall an easier experience watching battle shounens nowadays, because:
  • Less overtalking and explaining powers and motivations.
  • Less waste of time with "building up" and eternal five minutes fights.
  • Less shenanigans as audiences became more critical of it.
  • Harder rules for what can or can't be done, meaning less asspulls and power of the friendship level ups.

But, at the same time, I feel that these animes became less epic and engaging in some aspects. I doubt I could keep sitting through countless fillers and wastes of time only to get to the good parts of MHA and JJK, the same way I could for Naruto and Bleach. I don't know, maybe it's because of my age and that I got burnt out of it too.
Apr 6, 2021 12:48 PM

Jun 2012
Didn't take long for the children to come out screaming about the most random of things on this thread.
Apr 6, 2021 1:02 PM

Dec 2007
if there's anime that is on the level of one piece, tell me.
(those who watched one piece know what i means, those who'r gonna reply to me "sure there is man! you blind as##@E" are just show off)
Apr 6, 2021 1:22 PM

Jan 2021
I mean, reaching the level of Bleach or Fairy Tail isn't that hard...Naruto and One Piece are quite a bit better by comparison.

I haven't seen all of the stuff from the new kids on the block but what I can say in general is that their anime adaptations are A LOT better than the older ones.
As for the quality of the source material itself, well I don't know them all but from the ones I've seen, I don't think they always reach the same quality in writing but they're not bad as far as I can tell. They have their own interesting ideas even if they stumble a bit in presenting them.

Take My Hero Academia, I dropped it because it just wasn't my thing but the idea behind it with a story of the second generation of super heroes influenced by the greats instead of building from scratch is not bad, quite good in fact. I don't think it was necessarily presented very well but that happens. Maybe the writer just needs to grow a bit more.
Apr 6, 2021 3:19 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Posts 6104-6147 have been merged into this thread after the thread it was in was cleaned.
Apr 6, 2021 8:16 PM

Jun 2011
KingCanute said:
Energetic-Nova said:
You went for the only battle shounen I gave a 10? sooo badass D:

😂 Every shounen fan thinks they are above their show being labeled a shounen. The only ones that don’t have this issues are ones like Inuyasha where people are convinced it is a shoujo.
Mar 14, 2022 8:02 AM
Feb 2021
So i have heard and seen many people saying that bleach is better than naruto but the plot is not that good and naruto is better written than bleach. i have watched both the shows with fillers 3 times already but I don't understand how naruto is better written than bleach. don't say shit like it is repetitive one piece is far more repetitve than both of the shows but it is still said to be the best animanga of all time by many people
Mimoh_24Mar 14, 2022 8:10 AM
Mar 14, 2022 8:17 AM

May 2020
It is not
bleach is much better

Pages (124) « First ... « 121 122 [123] 124 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

23 by rohan121 »»
5 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

14 by Merve2Love »»
6 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 57 minutes ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
13 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

44 by -YaoiBoy- »»
16 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

32 by mentalmondai »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.