Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 4, 2015 12:07 PM

Nov 2013
Yes. If I really don't like the art or animation then I'm not going to force myself through it.
Mar 4, 2015 12:08 PM

Jun 2014
black1blade said:
Yeah it totally can. Equally for both old and new. It's a visual medium so visuals are very important. I will punch someone in the face if they can call cowboy bebop, end of eva or GITS SAC ugly.

So, if I tell you I think Cowboy Bebop is ugly, you'll punch me in the face?

Good luck with that.

Mar 4, 2015 12:08 PM
Apr 2013
yes
obviously depend on how bad and how good
Mar 4, 2015 12:18 PM
Dec 2013
Yes. I dropped K-On! because of this, and am close to dropping Cross Game for the same reason.
Mar 4, 2015 12:27 PM

Aug 2014
Working_Designs said:
black1blade said:
Yeah it totally can. Equally for both old and new. It's a visual medium so visuals are very important. I will punch someone in the face if they can call cowboy bebop, end of eva or GITS SAC ugly.

Good luck with that.

Internet punch. You just got healed for negative damage.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 4, 2015 12:29 PM

Feb 2013
I die a bit inside when I see bad cgi.
Mar 4, 2015 12:29 PM

Aug 2014
StevenHu said:
black1blade said:

You don't care about people complaining about the quality of the first two movies, right?

Well GITS sac looks better than a lot of shows coming out now.

Mar 4, 2015 12:31 PM

Jun 2014
black1blade said:
Working_Designs said:

Good luck with that.

Lol.

But seriously, Cowboy Bebop doesn't look appealing to me. I know that almost everyone seems to find it interesting, but there's so many other better looking Anime I would rather watch instead.

That being said, Cowboy Bebop doesn't look half as bad as something as downright ugly as Bakemonogatari.

Mar 4, 2015 12:33 PM

Jun 2014
Not ruin an anime but maybe reduce my enjoyment. It also makes me reluctant to start a show. Good example being what you just mentioned, Higurashi. It'll be hard for me to take a horror seriously with those character designs.
Mar 4, 2015 12:34 PM

Aug 2014
Working_Designs said:
black1blade said:

Lol.

But seriously, Cowboy Bebop doesn't look appealing to me. I know that almost everyone seems to find it interesting, but there's so many other better looking Anime I would rather watch instead.

That being said, Cowboy Bebop doesn't look half as bad as something as downright ugly as Bakemonogatari.

Bakemonogatari looks really really good especially on blu ray. It's like a feast for the eyes.

Mar 4, 2015 12:34 PM

Nov 2014
Working_Designs said:

I'm confused by this statement.
Mar 4, 2015 12:35 PM

Jul 2012
I come back to this thread and there's a war going on.

/mayukaout
Mar 4, 2015 12:37 PM

Aug 2014
Agafin said:
Not ruin an anime but maybe reduce my enjoyment. It also makes me reluctant to start a show. Good example being what you just mentioned, Higurashi. It'll be hard for me to take a horror seriously with those character designs.

Made it even creepier for me. The first arc is just paranoia ++++. The character designs may give me the chance to show friends who like those silly character designs. It will totally fool them as long as I skip the opening.

Mar 4, 2015 12:38 PM

Jun 2014
Hulohot said:
Working_Designs said:

Simple. I think Bakemonogatari looks ugly as shit.

If you want good newer Anime that also looks good, check out the Precure series.

Mar 4, 2015 12:39 PM

Jan 2013
black1blade said:
Agafin said:

Made it even creepier for me. The first arc is just paranoia ++++. The character designs may give me the chance to show friends who like those silly character designs. It will totally fool them as long as I skip the opening.
that's what happened to me ahaha. I skipped the opening first time and the short clip at the beginning of ep 1, and then I was like WTF AM I WATCHING when I saw blood and death everywhere.

It was a pleasant surprise though, ended up being one of my fav anime.
Mar 4, 2015 12:42 PM
Dec 2014
AN ANIME WITH BAD ART CAN'T POSSIBLY BE CATEGORIZED AS A GOOD ANIME

It doesn't matter how good the storyline might be or how well are the characters made.
If you only care about those you'd better read the LN instead of watching the anime since the novel has much more details and it's better structured.

What makes me want to watch the anime instead of reading the LN or also watch the anime after reading the novel, is the artwork.

An anime can't be good if it doesn't have a good artwork.

good plot + good artwork = great anime
Mar 4, 2015 12:44 PM

Jan 2013
orario said:

It doesn't matter how good the storyline might be or how well are the characters made.
If you only care about those you'd better read the LN instead of watching the anime since the novel has much more details and it's better structured.

What makes me want to watch the anime instead of reading the LN or also watch the anime after reading the novel, is the artwork.

this would be true if art was objective, and if you also factored in animation. But alas, art is purely subjective.
Mar 4, 2015 12:44 PM

Aug 2014
Working_Designs said:
Hulohot said:

If you want good newer Anime that also looks good, check out the Precure series.

I think the anime in your profile pic/sig look like shit. Opinions yay. Visual novels are the best combination of visuals and writing imo.

Mar 4, 2015 12:47 PM

Aug 2012
Yes and No
Ping Pong - Great!
Aku no Hana - Rotoscoping at its worse!~

Mar 4, 2015 12:47 PM

Jul 2012
Magnolia said:
orario said:

this would be true if art was objective, and if you also factored in animation. But alas, art is purely subjective.

this.
Mar 4, 2015 12:48 PM

Aug 2014
Shinsekai Yori
Ping Pong
And some others not coming to my head right now.

Nah.

Nov 2013
Working_Designs said:
Hulohot said:

When I see you post something it just makes me think you're not serious at all every time lol.

Jun 2014
black1blade said:
Working_Designs said:

I think the anime in your profile pic/sig look like shit. Opinions yay. Visual novels are the best combination of visuals and writing imo.

Yeah, I hate the art style of most new Anime. You're obviously not into the old school stuff like I am.

Mar 4, 2015 12:50 PM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
Magnolia said:

this.
+1
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Mar 4, 2015 12:51 PM

Jun 2014
Taewan said:
No!
All credit goes to Sacred.
Mar 4, 2015 12:51 PM
Dec 2014
Magnolia said:
orario said:

Usually tastes regarding the artwork are similar among anime fans.

I mean check out Oregairu.

I think it's not an exaggeration to estimate that 90% of people think that this anime's artwork is great, right?
Mar 4, 2015 12:52 PM

Jan 2013
Bad Art isn't just the only factor ruining Baby Steps but yes, it can
Mar 4, 2015 12:54 PM

Feb 2015
gedata said:
MyNameIsTaken said:
Higurashi was enjoyable but everyone looks like a moe, it was kinda disturbing since you have Moe characters killing each other

that's the point, though the show still looks like shit

Same with Kanon.
Mar 4, 2015 12:55 PM

Nov 2014
Working_Designs said:
Hulohot said:

Art style is subjective as fuck m8. I also rather watch Panty and Stocking than precure.
Mar 4, 2015 12:55 PM

Sep 2014
Ruin, no, but it really can make it less enjoyable
I would give lamune a 8 if not the absolutely crappy art
Mar 4, 2015 12:56 PM

Jul 2012
Lmao people are calling art objective now

K
Mar 4, 2015 12:59 PM

Jun 2014
Hulohot said:
Working_Designs said:

Art style is subjective as fuck m8. I also rather watch Panty and Stocking than precure.

That's your opinion. I think Panty and Stocking look ugly, and also, it's Seinen, and I'm not into that stuff. There's only a small amount of Seinen Anime I can watch, like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

Mar 4, 2015 1:00 PM

Feb 2015
Although Tatami Galaxy and Kaiba looks pretty original and inventive for me.
Mar 4, 2015 1:01 PM

Feb 2015
Eletrophonic said:
Although Tatami Galaxy and Kaiba looks pretty original and inventive for me.

And I'm not calling it bad art. It's just... uncommon.
Mar 4, 2015 1:01 PM

Jul 2012
Kaiba looks gorgeous.
Mar 4, 2015 1:06 PM

Oct 2012
mayukachan said:
Lmao people are calling art objective now

K
Yo there is such thing as computational aesthetics, you can use Machine Learning techniques to infer aesthetic quality of images, granted there has to be some framework of determining quality I'd imagine.
Mar 4, 2015 1:09 PM

Nov 2014
Giving an honest answer i don't really care about art too much, hell i'd watch stick men if the story is good enough. But is really nice to watch an anime that has good plot and a pleasent artstyle.

Also i think some things might look "bad" but if the artstyle fits the setting then is all good (for me) i.e. Adventure Time.
Mar 4, 2015 1:11 PM

Jan 2015
at the beginning of Bleach the art was shit. but now the newer episoes just look weird. I was also drunk for the first 120ish episodes of bleach so that could also be a contributing factor.
Mar 4, 2015 1:13 PM

Aug 2014
Lancehot said:
I feel like a boring fart because I like new & old artstyles. But then I don't get all pissy at the suggestion that Western animation artstyles looks good either, so maybe I'm just not :weeb: enough :(

I do too first point anyway :p

Jul 2012
bad in a moe or ping pong way yes it can
הלב שלי כבר מת

Jan 2015

Yes it can
Mar 4, 2015 1:14 PM

Nov 2014
Kisuke_ said:

Yes it can

Assuming Naruto is good.
Mar 4, 2015 1:22 PM

Oct 2010
As far as I'm concerned, if it is ruined it can't be good.

But bad animation or poor art choices can definitely take away a varying degree of enjoyment depending on the focus of the show.
Mar 4, 2015 1:23 PM

May 2014
Hulohot said:
Kisuke_ said:

Yes it can

Assuming Naruto is good.

it is decent, to be fair.
Mar 4, 2015 1:24 PM

May 2014
jal90 said:

But bad animation or poor art choices can definitely take away a varying degree of enjoyment depending on the focus of the show.

for example badly animated fight scenes in battle shounen ?? :|
Mar 4, 2015 1:27 PM

Oct 2010
WAD1992 said:
jal90 said:

Yep, that would be an accurate example. Funnily enough, in One Piece this tends to bother me more when the characters are walking/running or having conversations than in fights.
Mar 4, 2015 1:32 PM

May 2014
jal90 said:
WAD1992 said:

Yep, that would be an accurate example. Funnily enough, in One Piece this tends to bother me more when the characters are walking/running or having conversations than in fights.

despite the fact that the art is ... in OP
i think it really does fir the overall theme of the show, which is like an adventure tale from a book.
On the other hand i found some "arguably" good art , really hard to look at or appreciate , JOJO's for example, its like seriously too sharp!!!
also it makes me look out of shape >_>
Mar 4, 2015 1:57 PM

Aug 2014
WAD1992 said:
jal90 said:

Really annoying when battle scenes in general look bad. Claymore for example-the fights haven't aged well.

Mar 4, 2015 1:59 PM

May 2014
black1blade said:
WAD1992 said:

Really annoying when battle scenes in general look bad. Claymore for example-the fights haven't aged well.

ahh, claymore :(
seriously, only THE GOOD battle shounen never get full adaptations !!!!
Mar 4, 2015 2:02 PM

Feb 2013
black1blade said:
WAD1992 said:

It's not that the fight scenes in Claymore are poorly animated, it's just that it devolves into "DBZ with swords"
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime?

Dragevard - 12 hours ago

47 by APolygons2 »»
13 seconds ago

» who was your first/best anime waifu?

Coldsp33d - 2 hours ago

10 by isolated-otaku »»
3 minutes ago

» What's your waifu's "sparkle power"?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

7 by SgtBateMan »»
7 minutes ago

» What exactly are the perks of having waifu?

SgtBateMan - 3 hours ago

13 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

» How much anime is too much

ST63LTH - 50 minutes ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.