Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 15, 2015 7:16 AM

Oct 2013
Right. its finished airing. I just wanna know how it is compared to Season 1.

So how was it? was it better? best anime ever? the ultimate shit storm of all time?

Please post your reasons as to why you thought it was great or why you thought it was shit.

Kinda wanna know what Im walking into before I do decide to watch it lol

Try not to spoil anything about SAO II please.

Please DO NOT bring your hate comments here. This series gets a lot of hate and I understand that but its not what Im asking for in this topic.

Make your own topic if you wanna hate.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Feb 15, 2015 8:45 AM

Jun 2013
Definitely not best anime ever, but it was infinitely better than first SAO.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Feb 15, 2015 8:48 AM

Oct 2013
Dimitrije1606 said:

How so? or would that be hard to explain without spoilers?
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Feb 15, 2015 8:49 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
All of it is better than the second half of S1, all of it is worse then the first half of S1.
GGO is interesting but has some serious pacing issues and focuses a disturbing amount on Sinon's ass. Mother's Rosario tries to be more serious and emotional but because of the limited time at its disposal, it ends up not being very sad at all even though it tries to be. There's also a mini bonus arc in the middle which noone cares about because it sucked horribly.

Overall... well depends on who you ask. Personally I still prefered the original though
Feb 15, 2015 9:29 AM

Jun 2013
daAmazinFatB0y said:
Dimitrije1606 said:

How so? or would that be hard to explain without spoilers?

No, it wouldn't be hard at all. Harem is minimized, incest is non-existent, Kirito and Asuna got proper development in two arcs and 2 new characters presented had their own share of development, especially Sinon, who has more personality to her than all other side girls combined (Though she is in the end put in harem bandwagon which is to be expected). That is most what I got off the top of my head, but there are few more things which I really loved about SAO II.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Feb 15, 2015 9:31 AM

Sep 2012
By the second time around, all the RAPE RAPE RAPE BAD GUYS RAPE bullshit got tiring.
Feb 15, 2015 9:46 AM

May 2012
Both are good, but SAO II is better
Feb 15, 2015 2:02 PM

Jun 2013
ironically the first half of SAO I was good and second half was sht, while SAO II was opposite, with first half being bad and second half being better
Feb 16, 2015 5:09 AM

Mar 2013
SAOII.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Feb 16, 2015 5:14 AM
Dec 2014
SAO 2 was better definitely.

Gun Gale arc was awesome (Kirito becomes more 'human' and also, the action scenes are the best in the whole anime), while the last arc was heart-warming.

If this keeps up and if they ever decide to make an adaptation for Alicization, it will be that good that even haters will like it.
koinzell_Feb 16, 2015 5:18 AM
Feb 16, 2015 5:55 AM

Jan 2014
First season, because... well because it is ;)
Feb 20, 2015 10:37 AM

Jun 2014
I cant even with that mid arc in S2 ~
Def first Season
Jul 24, 2016 8:42 PM
Jul 2016
well they kind of ruined season 2 i still like part 2 but the 1st season was better then the 2nd season
Jul 24, 2016 11:37 PM

Oct 2013
Ive seen season 2.....though only the main arc. I do not wanna see the rest. Looks too boring.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Aug 3, 2016 10:09 PM
Aug 2016
I thought so was better. I just wish it did not end so darrrrrrrk. Curious if season three to release the cliff hanger.
Aug 9, 2016 6:59 AM
Aug 2016
SAO 2 is much better, compared to the first season where the first half was great and second half was not nearly as good.

The Phantom bullet arc was great. Sinons my fave character. The villain was great.

Calibur was a fun break from the serious stuff. Everyone gets to kick ass, Klein is hilarious.

and the Mothers Rosario arc, man, haters probably might change their opinions after this arc, if not screw em.
KazumaKuzuryuAug 9, 2016 7:08 AM
Aug 9, 2016 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
SAO1 first half > SAO2 > SAO1 second half
Aug 1, 2017 10:14 AM
Aug 2017
SAO. SAO 2 is horrible. They use magic, they have pointy ears, & they barely use their swords. I hate how it now has magic, and is a mix with stupid elves.
Aug 1, 2017 10:35 AM

Jul 2013
Difficult question. SAO had best boy Sugou, but SAO II had Sinon's booty. I just cannot pick one.
Aug 3, 2017 7:01 AM
Jun 2017
The first half of SAO II, the GGO arc, was probably the best arc so far.
The amazing action scenes of the SAO arc is there. The stakes aren't as high as the SAO arc, but high stakes are incorporated near the end.

The part that made this arc stand out compared to the others was the main character. In the SAO and ALO arcs, there was basically no character development which made the characters vastly uninteresting. This is also why the romance between Kirito and Asuna was so forced, generic and bland. On the other hand, the GGO arc of SAO II introduces a new female character, Sinon, who has a compelling backstory and motivation. Her relationship with Kirito seems more real compared to other girls like Asuna, Lis and Silica. Sinon, to me, feels like the only well-rounded and developed character in a series where basically every character is flat as hell.

However, the 2nd half of SAO II is worse than the 1st half. This is similar to the dropoff that happened with Season 1, but the 1st season had a bigger dropoff since the ALO arc was so shit. Excalibur arc, the 2nd arc of Season 2, is filler and useless. The Mother's Rosario arc is better, but is rushed, which takes away from some of the emotional parts.

Basically the GGO arc is by far the best arc of the entire series, which makes the 2nd season better than the 1st season. But the 2nd half of the 2nd season is uninteresting and rushed.

My Ranking of the Arcs:
1. GGO (by far)
2. SAO (had potential but was rushed) (little character development)
3. Mother's Rosario (rushed) (main character is useless uninteresting asuna)
4. Excalibur (filler and unnecessary)
5. ALO (shit, trash, useless)

Sinon is the best ever and kirito should be with her. tbh Sinon is too good for Kirito tho.
IkiriInkyaAug 3, 2017 7:09 AM
May 5, 2018 10:26 AM
Jul 2017
first half sao1
second half sao 2
May 6, 2018 1:41 AM

Apr 2018
It was for sure better than the first season way better even
May 6, 2018 1:50 AM

Nov 2016
I would go with season 2. GGO arc wasn't the best but the second half was my favourite arc so far. The pacing is bad, but there are some interesting ideas compared to season 1.
May 10, 2018 7:04 PM

Oct 2016
Well the second season turns into a huge steaming pile of garbage after episode 14. The show is pretty much nothing after that point. It's unbearable to watch almost.
May 10, 2018 7:07 PM

Dec 2017
I really liked it compared to season 1 after the ggo arc.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
May 14, 2018 2:56 PM

Oct 2013
Few hours ago I finished watching SAO II. At first I was skeptical. Why? Because of the first SAO. While first half delighted me, the second one with them fairies and elves was very bad. It bored me to to a point in which I dropped SAO for a long period of time, almost completely loosing interest in it. When I heard that SAO II is likely to be made, I decided to finish first SAO just for the plot. It was kinda painful, haha, but I managed to do it.

I was afraid that SAO II will make the same mistakes as did first SAO, improving more or less the quality of its story. I was positively suprised that my thoughts were rather pessimistic.

GGO universe was awesome both to watch and to follow the story. Later, when arc connected to GGO ended and all heroes returned to Alfheim, I was really worried that there will be a situation similar to the one from first SAO: great first arc, and then bad second arc. I was wrong. Alfheim in SAO II proved that fairies' world could be done in a good and entertaining way, having a lot of additional stories related to supporting characters, without going in conflict with action. Mother's Rosario arc was that famous "cherry on top". Perfect ending arc for the serie.

While I gave 6/10 mark to the first SAO, the second one got from me 8/10 points. It was generally speaking better in many ways: characters, art, fights, the plot and its consistency, balanced emotions and romance themes. That's why that kind of score is, at least in my oppinion, fully deserved.
Aug 9, 2018 8:42 AM

Jan 2018
I prefer the first season .
Nov 23, 2019 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
I don't like reviving dead threads, but I have to make an exception here: SAO 2 is so much better than 1.

SAO 1 fans don't like it precisely because it removed many of the fantasy, wish-fulfillment elements from the first season, focusing instead on a more grounded story of lesser scope set in a shooter. Far more relatable, far more closer to reality = less of what the fanbase wants.
And the lesser scope is why it succeeded where SAO 1 failed: It didn't give itself such a herculean task, but just limited itself to "find the bad guy and stop this bad thing from happening".
Sinon gets far better development than any of the girls, and at the end it feels like she's become a good friend of Kirito, rather than a harem member.
Of course, anything good from the 1st arc is ruined by Kirito and by the stupid Excalibur arc, but if you ignore it and watch only Phantom Bullet and Mother's Rosario...speaking of which.

Mother's Rosario finally does something with Asuna! She's finally a proper character instead of Kirito's #1 damsel in distress. And Kirito is just a side character! This works so well, yet this arc is rarely talked about.

TL;DR: Smaller scope allowed SAO 2 to at least partially succeed, 2 main female characters are actually good. And this alone makes it better than SAO 1 which did absolutely nothing meaningful for 24 episodes!
Dec 18, 2019 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
Red_Keys said:
By the second time around, all the RAPE RAPE RAPE BAD GUYS RAPE bullshit got tiring.

So you're telling me that you've skipped the masterfully well-written Mother's Rosario? I suggest you to pick it up again because it is really worth it. Asuna gets the role of pragonist and the newest girl is not a whiny, annoying whore prone to behaving like a contrivied senseless child when things don't go her way. More high-quality drama and less sci-fi BSterry. Give it a shot and get your tissues ready.
Dec 18, 2019 3:25 PM
Jul 2018
Kirito best waifu
Dec 18, 2019 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
Edge_is_a_weapon said:
Kirito best waifu

Good ol' times when 4chan wanted to F his brains out. Now we have Eugeo for this purpose.
Jan 3, 2020 10:03 AM

Nov 2019
Now almost everyone tells that SAO II is better than SAO. So how come it has such a horrible rating!!

Personally I feel that SAO's Aincrad arc is better than everything else. That arc alone deserves an 8. But the Alfheim arc was so bad I had to reduce my rating to a 7.

But SAO II's Mothers Rosario arc is almost as good as Aincrad. But it still feels like a different show altogether which points out filler. Not even a permanent character is introduced into the SAO crew. So itself even Mothers Rosario deserves an 8 but GGO was bad enough to reduce the rating here to a 7.

So my ratings- 7 for both SAO and SAO II

Let's not consider Alicization as that is a different story and ifinitely better than all the previous arcs.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Karoshi- - Dec 20, 2014

618 by MinaseNagi »»
Apr 17, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2014

958 by maki_evergarden »»
Mar 17, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 25, 2014

289 by erixqh »»
Feb 22, 12:26 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2014

762 by minu11 »»
Jan 26, 5:10 AM

» While you're watching Season 2

Bijou146 - Jan 14

23 by katnissmaezie »»
Jan 24, 11:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.