Forum Settings
Forums

2015 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion Thread!

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (15) « First ... « 13 14 [15]
Oct 19, 2015 9:14 PM

Mar 2013
Yelenicus said:
Hello, all! Is anyone willing to help me choose a manga about whichever profession? Personally, I've been thinking about giving Bambino! a try, but I am not entirely sure whether it actually focuses on restaurant business or not. Dullboy wrote that it has a sports manga feel to it, so I have my doubts about it fitting the bill for the category.

Speaking about the challenge itself, I was one title away from completing it before a slump hit me. The last two titles I read for the challenge were indeed challenging to complete because I couldn't finish a single chapter without having to move away for a bit before continuing.

You know, on second thought, I would also be grateful for any recommendation that would potentially help me get out of my "manga slump". Which manga impressed you the most in the recent months? Perhaps there's a classic that absolutely deserves one's attention?

I used Subaru to complete the profession challenge because she becomes a professional dancer at some point in the story. You can really use anything as long as the person is pro at something. Even something like Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa or Hajime no Ippo will work . Basically anyone that gets paid to do something that isn't unskilled labor(retail or service basically).

As far as breaking your slump, try Vagabond. It's by the same guy who did Real. That or Beserk.
Oct 20, 2015 11:56 AM

May 2014
Hey.
I was hoping somebody could help me with the manga recommended by another Manga Reading Challenge participant.
Right now, I'm willing to read pretty much any genre, as long as the manga is finished.

Thanks in advance.
Oct 20, 2015 2:55 PM

Apr 2014
Sethlans : Looking at what you seems to like , I would have proposed Blade of the Immortal , but then it's 30 volumes long so...
I don't know if you feel like reading all that before it's 2016 to complete the challenge ^^ ( but well I do think you would like it , so you can keep it in mind , maybe) .

Want to try reading a work by Inio Asano ? I would say Solanin maybe , and then there is Oyasumi Punpun also , of course...
Oct 20, 2015 4:43 PM

Mar 2013
@Sethlans: If you want a short read pick up All You Need Is Kill. Long read, go with Shigurui
Oct 21, 2015 9:09 AM

May 2014
Dullboy said:
Sethlans : Looking at what you seems to like , I would have proposed Blade of the Immortal , but then it's 30 volumes long so...
I don't know if you feel like reading all that before it's 2016 to complete the challenge ^^ ( but well I do think you would like it , so you can keep it in mind , maybe) .

Want to try reading a work by Inio Asano ? I would say Solanin maybe , and then there is Oyasumi Punpun also , of course...

Actually, I have Blade of the Immortal in my plan to read list but, as you said, it's too long to go with it for the challenge right now. Solanin looks interesting, so that might be the one.

AudioTsunami said:
@Sethlans: If you want a short read pick up All You Need Is Kill. Long read, go with Shigurui

Shigurui looks cool, but something short works better for me right now, so it all comes down to All You Need is Kill and Solanin.
I'll read the first chapters and then I'll choose the one I like better.

Anyway, thank you both for your recommendations, you were really helpfull.
Oct 22, 2015 6:20 PM

Mar 2013
TBH, shigurui only took me like 12 or so hours to read.
Oct 23, 2015 12:10 PM

Oct 2007
Dullboy said:
And now , it appear that in the middle of the MAL profile scandale uproar , I finished the challenge a second time ^^ .
big wall of text about my overall thought about the things I read and stuff ahead :

That's it . I'm really bad to talk about all the things I read , I really would have liked to be better at telling what I thought and say more things and more precisely , more in depth ... but well... I guess it's good enough... if someone care about all that of course haha ^^ . Sorry

Dullboy you are too fast and I admire you! I've been taking way too long with my longer picks because I'm giving less priority to my manga reading now sob. I want to read Devilman because of the art. Reading your comments on it makes me glad because I can keep in mind to be patient with it if it becomes too simple or repetitive or something. It's a bit old, so it must be a little hard to get that "fresh" feel. Yuureitou intrigued me a lot. I hadn't heard or read about this manga before and it seems like something I'd really like. I'll keep an eye out for the end of scanlation.

AudioTsunami said:
I'm gonna take a queue from the guy above and write some brief things about what I've read so far(I'm 23/25ths done)

I love what you said about All You Need Is Kill because I also found out about the movie afterwards and was really confused. I'm not watching it though!!
omakaseOct 23, 2015 12:13 PM
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Nov 1, 2015 1:50 PM

Oct 2007
With two months left to go, how is everyone doing? I originally planned to do two runs, but my personal life didn't allow for that.

I've decided that I'm definitely running one the next year again so we can look forward to that! I'll definitely not include a list of participants next time though... it's been a bit of work to update, but I'll include one for the people who finish.

With that in mind, I'll also use the 'multiple difficulty' idea I brought up in the original thread that I wrote to ask for items for the list as I saw it used in the Anime Challenge and it looked pretty cool. That said, I was wondering, what do you think should be the number of items per each difficulty? and also do you have any suggestions for new items for the challenge list?

I was considering having 15 items for easy, 30 items for medium and 50 for hard, but other opinions are welcome!
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Nov 1, 2015 6:43 PM

May 2013
The number sounds fair. Though 50 means you got to prepare more than 50 challenges.

Yeah, you shouldn't make the list of participants. Too much burden for you.

I'm 3 more from finish line. Amazing I finished fewer than half of the challenges in half a year and then only left with 3 with 2 months to go. Deadline really is the best motivation. Soul Eater, Buddha, and Orange are my plans. The best till now I've read are still Ashita no Joe and Slam Dunk.

How's yours, tsuyokunaru?
Nov 1, 2015 7:13 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I am doing my second run. But I am also doing a second run for the anime challenge (hard) that I am about half way done. But I am watch a ton of shows this season and Fallout 4 also comes out soon. So, lolololololol time.

I might power through bunch of shorter stuff to finish it up. Even the anime challenge I might switch some of my choices to shorter stuff like movies and OVAs so I can finish it up for the year. Fallout 4 will be most of the rest of this year for me. At least Persona 5 got pushed back so I didn't have to deal with them both at the same time...

I do like the levels like the anime challenge has so I'm all for that. Both challenges helped me get through a lot of backlog. I have to say the anime challenge really got me start watching a ton of stuff I've been meaning to watch for forever and finally get to that 500 completed shows mark.

If you want some suggestions for the next challenge let me know. I'd love to come up with some.
Nov 2, 2015 11:56 AM

Apr 2014
tsuyokunaru said:
I was considering having 15 items for easy, 30 items for medium and 50 for hard, but other opinions are welcome!
that sound good to me , like this it will be more friendly to users that have less time to read or don't read too fast, and the 50 item option will be rewarding for the heavy readers .

We have a lot of time to think for more potential item to had , but I'll keep it in mind and try to give some ideas and contribute .
if you need help to create the new challenge I will be willing to help too, I'll definitly participate, it was really a very nice idea you had doing this challenge and I enjoyed it .

But well , there is still a lot of time . I hope to see a lot of people talking about what they read for the challenge and share their opinion .
Nov 4, 2015 12:43 PM

Oct 2007
FlameWingman21 said:
The number sounds fair. Though 50 means you got to prepare more than 50 challenges.

Yeah, you shouldn't make the list of participants. Too much burden for you.

I'm 3 more from finish line. Amazing I finished fewer than half of the challenges in half a year and then only left with 3 with 2 months to go. Deadline really is the best motivation. Soul Eater, Buddha, and Orange are my plans. The best till now I've read are still Ashita no Joe and Slam Dunk.

How's yours, tsuyokunaru?

Thanks for showing interest! I'm still 6 from finishing and I chose some long stuff but I'll try to stick with it nonetheless. I tried doing the anime challenge, but I'm just too bad at watching things! I'm very slow with shows, for some reason. Right now I'm just actively reading Medaka Box but once I'm done, I'll do the shorter less-than-50-chapters read before the heavier ones. I've liked Medaka Box a lot, but now that it's closer to the end, it's losing its charm.

@Brand @Dullboy
Yes, as of right now there are 35 items in the list and we'd have to expand it up to 50 and even consider if any of the current ones will be changed (for example people expressed difficulty with the item 'read a manga you can relate to yourself').

I'm trying to come up with ideas and I'd like to discuss them with people interested in them.

I was wondering if it'd be too ridiculous to include something related to magazines? Since the anime challenge included stuff like studios and so on, I was considering it. Something like 'read a manga you haven't read from a magazine that publishes other titles you've read or you've liked'.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Nov 4, 2015 1:39 PM

Apr 2014
tsuyokunaru said:

I was wondering if it'd be too ridiculous to include something related to magazines? Since the anime challenge included stuff like studios and so on, I was considering it. Something like 'read a manga you haven't read from a magazine that publishes other titles you've read or you've liked'.
I like that . Especially since I discovered the manga seach that make it very easy to research things like that. It's funny because I've been doing this with "Big Comic Spirits" actually , I'm reading "SaiKano" right now because of that .

Talking about this Manga Search tool , we can see for exemple that there is less than 300 entry (or even 150 entry sometime) for tags like Space ; Thriller ; Samurai ; Police ; Kid ; Cars ; Vampire ; Game ; Parody and Dementia .

So I was thinking about something like "read a manga that have a tag with less than 300 entry according to the manga search" , or something like that . Could be interesting .
If I happen to have other ideas in the future , I'll post them on your profile to not pollute the thread if you want tsuyokunaru .
DullboyNov 4, 2015 1:44 PM
Nov 4, 2015 3:35 PM

Oct 2007
Don't worry about this cluttering the thread Dullboy! This is what the discussion thread is for actually, so it's better for people to read your idea and comment on it. I think that it's interesting! Because we can link to the search too and people will still have space to choose something they may want to read and less known/popular manga will also get read.

I also remembered that idea with the character archetypes and/or TV tropes that they have in the anime challenge and maybe the one involving the staffers' favorite lists?
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Nov 5, 2015 12:36 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Can someone recommend me a manga. I'm not to picky my only requests is it be finished and (ideally) less than 5 volumes.
Nov 5, 2015 10:45 PM

Mar 2013
Kakukaku Shikajika
March Story
Onanie Master Kurosawa
Nov 6, 2015 8:06 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
AudioTsunami said:
Kakukaku Shikajika
March Story
Onanie Master Kurosawa

Turns out Kakukaku Shikajika was on my plan to read list, so I'll read that one. Thanks!
Dec 12, 2015 1:20 PM

Oct 2013
So i just found out about this earlier this month and started it but i don't think there is any way of me completing it unless i add manga i finished earlier in 2015. Is that allowed?
Dec 12, 2015 7:07 PM
Nov 2015
Already began with the manga that interests me consisting of no more than five series.
Dec 14, 2015 6:47 AM

Apr 2014
blitz1423 said:
So i just found out about this earlier this month and started it but i don't think there is any way of me completing it unless i add manga i finished earlier in 2015. Is that allowed?
As far as you started those manga in 2015 and not before the year started, it's all good. But you might as well want to wait for the new 2016 challenge now .

And since we are talking about it , how is it going tsuyokunaru ? Maybe we should start a brand new thread about the new challenge of the comming year , just for gathering some ideas and feedbacks and start to develop ideas for the new items to select , extend the challenge to different "difficulty level" and so on. What do you think ? I'm saying all this but you are the boss anyway, I'm just a simple "challenger" like the other ^^ .
Dec 15, 2015 6:57 AM

Oct 2007
@blitz1423 It is allowed as long as the manga you finished was also started after January 1st 2015 so yeah, but if you completed manga you started before then, it wouldn't count.

@Dullboy I'll ask for permission to make it and so on to do the planning for the next one, though I was thinking maybe we could do it here. Either way I'll ask one of the moderators. It'll be by the weekend though since right now I've been busy preparing for a trip and I'm traveling tonight.

EDIT: I'll also update the participants list and so on when I arrive to my destination.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Dec 18, 2015 2:45 AM

Jan 2010
That's great news! I enjoyed this challenge and it helped me read a lot of series I just could not make my mind up to read so I'm definitely in for a new one.
Dec 21, 2015 12:03 PM

Jul 2014
Can anyone recommend me a short manga? (up to 3 volumes)

It can be shoujo, seinen, whatever, as long as it doesn't put me to sleep.
Dec 21, 2015 12:25 PM

Apr 2014
Kurohiki said:

I would recommend to you Sakura-gari. It's exactly 3 volume long . I think you would like it , the plot is interesting and with some "family secret" to resolve. Personally it kept me interested.
DullboyDec 21, 2015 12:32 PM
Dec 21, 2015 12:44 PM

Jul 2014
Dullboy said:
Kurohiki said:

I would recommend to you Sakura-gari. It's exactly 3 volume long . I think you would like it , the plot is interesting and with some "family secret" to resolve. Personally it kept me interested.

Thanks!
Dec 26, 2015 5:18 AM

Oct 2007
The planning thread for 2016 manga challenge is http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1465770
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Dec 28, 2015 6:57 AM

Oct 2007
Gasp. I'm finally done. That took way longer than I originally expected and in the end I didn't read what I had planned to for the last 6 items.

So, my impressions of the whole thing: it was difficult to keep up at times, but it was fun nonetheless! I really enjoyed trying to find things that would fit the criteria for the challenge and it was also interesting to rate my enjoyment of those things afterwards.

I think that with a bit more of time management I could've read what I had planned, but sometimes I got sidetracked a lot by other projects and real life stuff.

From the last things I read, I was entertained by the melodrama in Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru, but it didn't leave me very impressed afterwards, really.

They were 11 was very enjoyable too and I can recommend it to others who like space travel sci-fi but the ending felt a bit rushed.

Aoi Haru was so strange! I still enjoyed it because it gave me a peek into a Japanese cultural phenomenon that I find puzzling and I also like what the author did on the pages and the panels.

Half & Half was really interesting and I couldn't stop reading it, but I was very dissatisfied with the ending and it ruined the story for me.

Baka ga Zenra de Yattekuru was also something I read on a whim and it was very interesting even if the story didn't feel super together. I liked the characters and how they interacted with each other. The twist was sort of confusing though.

From my whole list the thing that I enjoyed the most was definitely Ashita no Ousama! After that, Terra e... and Medaka Box but there were other works like Prunus Girl and Nijigahara Holograph that also had a pretty big impression on me that will last me a while.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Dec 29, 2015 1:14 AM

Apr 2013
I just finished the challenge! It took more than I expected, probably because of a big break I took from manga this year.. :P But still managed to complete it on time.. :)

I finally got to reading some series that I knew I would like, but didn't get to reading because of length/interest/etc, and I found that very refreshing.. It opened up my reading a lot!

In the end I had to rush it a little because I only had 2 weeks left to read 7 series, and taking into account the holidays, I didn't have much time.. I didn't want it to affect my choosing process so instead I chose what I wanted to read, and didn't do much on days I didn't go out apart from reading manga.. :v

I'm waiting for the next challenge to really pick it up in terms of things I wanted to read but couldn't find a place for them in the challenge.. ;)

Last but not least, thanks tsuyokunaru for thinking this one out, and to all the participants for making it a very interesting challenge, I'm glad to have been a part of it..
Dec 30, 2015 4:47 AM

Jan 2011
Phew, managed to finish my second attempt with a day to spare. I was planning to read just long stuff this time around but before I knew it it was December.
Dec 31, 2015 4:33 AM

May 2013
Finished this early this month. Thanks to this, 2015 becomes the most productive year for me in terms of reading manga. Look forward to next year's.

Out of the 25 manga I've read for this challenge:
- 4 got 10/10 (Slam Dunk, Ashita no Joe, Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan, and Orange)
- 8 got 9/10 (Hikaru no Go, Billionaire Girl, Buddha, All You Need is Kill, Solanin, Nageku Shinigami, Can't See Can't Hear But Love, and My Girl)
- 8 got 8/10 (Tokyo Ghoul, Soul Eater, Medaka Box, Planetes, Bambino, Yunagi no Machi, Full Metal Panic!, Sayonara Piano Sonata, and Aqua)
- 3 got 7/10 (Yokohama Kaidaishi Kikou, Countrouble, and Battle Royale)
- 2 got 6/10 (Monster and Fuusuke)

Edit: Can't believe I messed up the total.
FlameWingman21Jan 1, 2016 5:52 PM
Dec 31, 2015 2:22 PM

Jul 2014
Checked the list of participants who completed the 2015 challenge and didn't see my username. Wasn't aware I was supposed to announce it here.

I've completed the challenge, for what it's worth. There are some things on my list that are still ongoing (Noragami, Spice & Wolf, Trinity Blood, Nukoduke), one that was apparently dropped by scanlators and isn't licensed in English (Bell Princess), one that seems to be on hiatus (Loveless), and another that hasn't finished publishing in English yet (Library Wars: Love and War). But I've read all that was available of them.
TFO1013Dec 31, 2015 2:27 PM
Dec 31, 2015 4:23 PM

Apr 2013
TFO1013 said:
Checked the list of participants who completed the 2015 challenge and didn't see my username. Wasn't aware I was supposed to announce it here.

You're not really supposed to announce it here, but just on the manga reading challenge sign ups, as it said on the original post.. :)

Have you completed the challenge?
Once all your items are done, copy and paste this into a new reply to the thread:
☆Link to your sign up form:
☆Starting date:
☆Finishing date:
Jan 1, 2016 1:25 PM

Sep 2013
I didn't complete it :'(
Only did half or so, meh :(
Jan 1, 2016 1:31 PM

Oct 2007
ichii_1 said:
I didn't complete it :'(
Only did half or so, meh :(

There's always the next one ichii!

@ReaperCreeper Do you want anything special for it? A personal banner or something :D You have to celebrate! Only a few completed it a second time. This offer is open Dullboy and the rest who completed it a second time!

@FlameWingman It's really cool to see your list with the ratings and so on and notice that some of those are things I really like! I'm glad you enjoyed Hikaru no Go :D
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 1, 2016 7:39 PM

May 2010
I also didn't manage to complete it :( And I only had like 3 or 4 left, damn it!

It's been really fun though, definitely will be taking part in the next one, I already can't wait :D
Jan 1, 2016 7:56 PM

May 2013
Hikaru no Go is class. Can't believe that despite having almost 200 chapters, I still wished it were longer. A very rare case for me.
Jan 2, 2016 11:23 PM

Jan 2011
tsuyokunaru said:
@ReaperCreeper Do you want anything special for it? A personal banner or something :D You have to celebrate! Only a few completed it a second time. This offer is open Dullboy and the rest who completed it a second time!
Well I can't think of anything.
Jan 3, 2016 10:34 AM

Oct 2007
So, it's over people! Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion thread and in the challenge. It was really fun last year (and I'm looking forward to see what will be the trends this year!)

I wanted to include some statistics, but I'm really bad at doing some things, so I'll just present the number of participants and the number of people who finished.

In total we had 375 participants sign up officially through the sign ups thread! There might be other posts there that were not considered because they didn't abide to the rules or so on.

Out of those, 86 participants officially announced on the thread that they had finished the challenge (some even more than once)! Congratulations to you all!!
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (15) « First ... « 13 14 [15]

More topics from this board

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

161 by jaeo_k »»
46 minutes ago

» Why do you think MAL users don't read manga?

Nyron - Feb 7

34 by Zedlin »»
1 hour ago

» Any manga out that opposite to world end harem?

Darkrazor22 - May 10

3 by Darkrazor22 »»
4 hours ago

» How do you read your Manwha/Manhua ?

TheDefCrypt - May 8

7 by ST63LTH »»
8 hours ago

» Western Studio Adaptation of Berserk (Thoughts?)

FlydayEthan - May 2

4 by Old_School_Akira »»
May 12, 3:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.