Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 29, 2015 9:37 PM

May 2012
I found this info on another forum:

Ema's Angel Exercise is modelled on the real-life Angel Exercise in the 70s.
Bodybuilder Tsushima Seiji, under the name of Mukimuki Man (Muscular Man), comically did the Angel Exercise in the TV commercial for a sweet made by Morinaga and also in other TV programmes in the late 70s. (Morinaga's mascot is an angel, and the founder of Morinaga & Company Morinaga Taichirō was a Christian and learnt how to make Western-style confectionery in the USA.)

The batting form of Ogasawara Rinko is modelled on that of Ogasawara Michihiro.

The pitching style of Ogasawara Rinko is modelled on that of Mizuhara Yūki, who is a female professional baseball pitcher in Yakyū-kyō no Uta.
zenjamibuJan 29, 2015 9:42 PM
Jan 29, 2015 9:50 PM

Sep 2014
I'm loving Ema in this episode.
DAT EXERCISE SCENE IS TOO KAWAII.
Bounce Ema, bounce bounce.

And who knew goth-loli's hidden past time is baseball. :D
she looks cute in t-shirt and jeans by the way.
Onodera-chanJan 29, 2015 9:54 PM
Jan 29, 2015 10:21 PM

Jan 2014
zimno said:
ematasooooooooooooooooooooo

5/5

Oh god this is... this... too cute for me.
That dance and voice made my day, my week <3
Jan 29, 2015 10:39 PM
Nov 2013
I am all for a baseball anime centered around Goth Loli-sama, PA WORKS YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO!

But really, Ogasawara is my new favorite character besides Rii-chan. That dance that Ema was doing on the roof was so adorable. I'm glad that Musani finally took action and put that useless agent in check. Hopefully the production starts going smoothly now that Iguchi's drawings are perfection.
Jan 29, 2015 11:09 PM

Oct 2014
Those calisthenics-- I could not stop laughing!!!
I'm still waiting for the voice actress they picked to bail since she had other offers so Shizuka can join up... that's gonna happen right? That girl needs to catch a break..
Jan 29, 2015 11:11 PM

Jul 2013
Perfect episode just for Ema's exercise XD Sooooo fuckin' kawaii!!

The director Kinoshita is slowly becoming my favorite character, I'm starting to think that he's actually very capable. Not to mention his reactions are always funny when teased ^^

Also, GOTH MIYAMORI & GOTH EMA FTW!!! *worships Goth Loli-sama*

Please PA Works, Gothic Lolita Koushien for Spring 2016 please...
Jan 30, 2015 12:47 AM

Apr 2011
I love how the 'funny story' editor got dragged by those two. That's how you deal with useless editor.

Goth-loli sama finally gets a spotlight.

And DAT Ema.

I love this anime so much that I want a 2nd season already.
Jan 30, 2015 1:22 AM

Jan 2011
Gothic Lolita sensei showing how much of a boss she is so glad she also got some focus this time around

Ema dancing...pls! :P
Jan 30, 2015 1:53 AM

Jul 2013
The Original, second, and the final designs

Aria's salute

Jan 30, 2015 2:50 AM

Jan 2014
HachiKirra said:
Awesome stuff

Nice! I was hoping to find such comment, as I was really interested in seeing the differences..
Jan 30, 2015 2:56 AM

Dec 2014
Where the dance came from:

Watch it at your own risk.
Jan 30, 2015 5:21 AM

Mar 2014
HachiKirra said:

I guess it's better at the end, second is the worst though.
Jan 30, 2015 5:22 AM

Jul 2014
Goth Loli-sama is amazing, really.

And I'm really happy for Iguchi ;w;
Jan 30, 2015 5:56 AM

Mar 2011
D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW

is all I can say, this episode pulled at all my moe strings
Jan 30, 2015 6:41 AM

Feb 2014
Initail D racing in an 80's Volvo was pretty epic. Shame that Miyamori wasn't racing at the same time too. D=

I'm glad that Iguchi's efforts finally paid off. Having her drawings rejected constantly and the author never showing up in person didn't do anything to help her get the character designs spot on. Thank goodness for Ogasawara to help her relieve some stress with baseball and also Ogasawara's personal advice from her experience as a character designer in the past.

The best part of the episode is when the useless editor was FINALLY caught out and put in his place. About damn time too! =D
Jan 30, 2015 7:37 AM

Nov 2011
Fantastic ep, so many great stuff that i don't know where to start complimenting it from.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 30, 2015 10:15 AM
Mar 2013
AaaaaaKun said:

I smell something rotten in Imai, Kinoshita you better stay away from her with your shameful history, this college girl is not as innocent as you think.

Or rather, she is too innocent to understand the truth really can hurt humans. She may be a sort of same kind of a mad scientist who has a faithful adherence to her research so that she would choose anything as necessary measures for deepening her interest and understanding. Or possibly, she is just an normal sadist.
Jan 30, 2015 10:24 AM

Mar 2014
htsuji said:
AaaaaaKun said:

I smell something rotten in Imai, Kinoshita you better stay away from her with your shameful history, this college girl is not as innocent as you think.

Or rather, she is too innocent to understand the truth really can hurt humans. She may be a sort of same kind of a mad scientist who has a faithful adherence to her research so that she would choose anything as necessary measures for deepening her interest and understanding. Or possibly, she is just an normal sadist.
For a second I was wondering if she actually knew he directed that.
I'd like if the show explored the director's character a bit more, he seems like the guy who should have a pretty big depression, his wife left him, he sucks at his job, etc but he's always genki and knows what to say, I think there's potential for something there, maybe in future episodes.
Jan 30, 2015 12:00 PM

Oct 2011
Goodbye to that editor.

Glad she got her designs approved

Goth Loli <3
Jan 30, 2015 1:55 PM

Aug 2009
I'd watch the gothic lolita baseball anime so hard omg
Jan 30, 2015 5:31 PM

Oct 2012
Time passes so quickly while watching Shirobako. I love it.
KoybzJan 30, 2015 5:34 PM
Jan 30, 2015 5:48 PM
Oct 2012
Paulo27 said:
HachiKirra said:

That is what the author thought as well. It's great that this show, by just barely changing the lines and eyes, can show the impact these changes can have on the design. As opposed to the first, the third has the character seeming just a tad bit more worldly, with her smile just a tad more reserved (IMO of course).

Glad to see so many references, and glad that we got a sequel to the Anko Dance. Love this director, he gets the small things so well.
Jan 30, 2015 6:20 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
zimno said:

5/5

Zumba lol
She makes it much more fun :P

The author gives the ok in the end.

It must have been stressful for Iguchi to work in that environment at first. Kind of reminded me of the girl who was drawing nothing but tires. The girls date at the end sure helped clear Iguchi's mind and make the working environment lively.

Jan 30, 2015 7:02 PM

Jul 2011
Paulo27 said:
HachiKirra said:

Taking a look now, I can see the difference. Third looks most true to the original content. First one was a bit too mature. Glad she got over her problem.

And lol @ Goth Loli-san batting. Her sidearm pitch was so dramatic. XD
Jan 30, 2015 9:17 PM

Nov 2012
sanlei said:
zimno said:

5/5

11/10.
Best scene of the year <3
Also goth-loli-sama <3

I second this
Jan 30, 2015 9:40 PM

Aug 2013
Kuro_Kishi said:
sanlei said:

11/10.
Best scene of the year <3
Also goth-loli-sama <3

I second this

Emaaaaaa wth was that? hahahahahahahaha <3
Cute is justice.
Jan 30, 2015 9:51 PM
Mar 2013
Rookies: "Which route should we be taking?"
Tato: "You just need to follow me. Firstly, we are going to..."
Miyamori: "Then, as for you two, choose the right route, Andou-san, Satou-san."
Rookies: "Yes!"
Taro: "You're a bit too harsh."

Miyamori even didn't think she need to correct him but just ignored as if he weren't there in the first place. The girls didn't try to have an agreement or understanding from him, either. It's true that being ignored can be more painful than either hatred or opposition. But for some reason, I don't feel sorry for the probably traumatized coordinator.
htsujiJan 30, 2015 10:13 PM
Jan 30, 2015 10:31 PM

Apr 2012
Retake missile xD

Lol that dance xD

Rinko so awesome in this episode

Yeah give that Mr Funny Story a lesson. >:)

they making progress now

Jan 31, 2015 7:06 PM

Oct 2012
Is your favorite Shirobako character the stuffed white bear named "Roro" (ロロ)?
I am talking about Momijii's constant companion. Thought so.

At first, the yellow crescent moon on his stomach looks like something out of
the old Canadian (Nelvana) TV series "The Care Bears" (1985-1988). In "The
Care Bears", each bear had a different stomach symbol which represented their
personality or special ability.

Not so for Roro. He is apparently modeled very closely on a real-life species of
bear which lives on the Honshū and Shikoku islands of Japan. In fact, such bears
actually do have moon-shaped markings on their belly. See these images:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Ursus_thibetanus_3_%28Wroclaw_zoo%29.JPG/300px-Ursus_thibetanus_3_%28Wroclaw_zoo%29.JPG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/Ursusthibetanus.JPG/500px-Ursusthibetanus.JPG

On this specific topic, director Tsutomu Mizushima sent out an enigmatic tweet
18 hours ago. When translated, what it apparently says is,

"Momijii says that the moon on Roro's tummy is cool."

See here for a link to the original tweet from Mizushima:
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari/status/561444316489322500

I watched Episode 16 carefully, and the subject of Roro's moon never came up.
So could this twitter message be a foreshadowing of some upcoming episode?
Are Momijii and Roro going to be the one true pairing of the entire series?

Many thanks to htsuji who was able to explain the meaning of Mizushima's tweet.

okanaganJan 31, 2015 7:16 PM
Jan 31, 2015 7:11 PM
Oct 2012
okanagan said:
Not so for Roro. He is actually modeled very closely on an actual species of bear
which lives on the Honshū and Shikoku islands of Japan. In fact, such bears
actually do have moon-shaped markings on their belly.

I don't think I have ever told you this directly, but going back to our GuP days, I really love the obsession you show to things you like. Though I am most definitely "not japanese", it is a trait that I most love about the Japanese (and yes I know you are a Canadian, your existence makes me appreciate Canada more than I otherwise would :-)
Jan 31, 2015 7:47 PM

Mar 2011
okanagan said:
Is your favorite Shirobako character the stuffed white bear named "Roro" (ロロ)?

At first, the yellow crescent moon on his stomach looks like something out of [...] "The Care Bears" (1985-1988). In "The Care Bears", each bear had a different stomach symbol which represented their personality or special ability.

Not so for Roro. He is apparently modeled very closely on a real-life species of bear which lives on the Honshū and Shikoku islands of Japan. In fact, such bears actually do have moon-shaped markings on their belly.

SHOCK!

Kuma shock!

(Actually no though, I don't much care for him or the one-eye doll :-) I guess I'm in Team Diesel?)
Jan 31, 2015 9:02 PM
Mar 2013
okanagan said:

See here for a link to the original tweet from Mizushima:
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari/status/561444316489322500

The director's tweet said "月の輪 (Tsuki no wa)" or, "a ring-shaped moon" and the Japanese name of Asian black bear is "ツキノワグマ (Tsuki no wa guma)” that literally means a bear with a a crescent-shaped mark.

Speaking of corpus linguistics of Japanese, I'm sure the most possible word following to "Tsuki no wa" is "kuma (or guma)" or bear even if I hadn't watched Shirobako or Yuri Kuma Arashi because "ツキノワグマ (Tsuki no wa guma)” is a commonly known name as the only bear inhabiting in Honshu, where is the largest part of the main lands of Japan. (By the way, Higuma, which is a kind of Grizzly bear, lives in Hokkaido.)
Since wild wolfs were extinct in Japan many years ago, it is believed that bears are the most deadly animal in Japan. (In reality, we have more casualties by toxic snakes and hornets in Japan but people are tend to underestimate those.)
To be honest, I believed Roro was a kind of Polar bear just because he was white and never noticed the yellow mark on his stomach. But if Mimuji says she likes his "Tskinowa", I'm pretty sure he is a variation of Tsukinowa-guma that is usually black body with a white crescent moon shaped mark on its chest.

As for the tweet, I guess it is an advance announcement at about some moment in the newer episode than episode 16.

She accepted the love letter from Roro at the last moment on the ending movie of the episode 12 but we haven't known the outcome yet. I'm now looking forward to watching how it would be.
htsujiFeb 2, 2015 5:14 AM
Feb 1, 2015 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
I like how relatable this show is. Not for the animation industry but for their struggles concerning their goals. This time it was Iguchi-san.
I like how they gave Goth Loli-sama some development as well, I really like her. :D
I'm glad they are finally ready to move forward though they still have a lot of work to do. I hope I can find a nice company to work in, like Musani, where everyone helps each other. It would be awsome. :)
Feb 1, 2015 7:25 AM

Oct 2008
This episode Rinko "Goth-Lolita" Ogasawara was very cool!

Oh Ema, why are you getting cuter by the second?
matias067Feb 1, 2015 7:40 AM

Feb 1, 2015 12:08 PM

Jan 2013
Nice to see that obstacle overcome.
Feb 1, 2015 12:09 PM

Oct 2012
Meta_Yoshi said:
Initial D racing in an 80's Volvo was pretty epic.

Wow! . It sounds like you really know your Volvos!
Just an hour ago, Director Tsutomu Mizushima sent out a brief tweet indicating
that it is in fact a Volvo 240.

Here is a link to his actual tweet:
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari/status/561959039110627330
Here is some information for any non-Volvo-experts here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_200_Series
There is a Japanese-language Wikipedia page exclusively about the Volvo 240:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9C%E3%83%AB%E3%83%9C%E3%83%BB240

He didn't say so. However, I suspect that Mizushima must have been getting
inquiries from Shirobako fans all over Japan asking about the Volvo.
Feb 1, 2015 12:18 PM

Aug 2014
They did it again! xD World/10
OMG EEEMMMMAAAA can you stop being sooo cute? Totally didn't expect that dance at all, like it was so random! xDD

Hmm I thought GothLoli gonna take over the role as the character designer. Welp, guess this is fine too.
Nice to see GothLoli got some more screentime and background since she's barely got screentime before. :S
Feb 2, 2015 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
Awesome episode, they finally kidnapped "funny story" guy and forced him to do something. GothLoli was awesome in this episode!
Feb 2, 2015 8:59 AM
Mar 2013
xcess090 said:
Awesome episode, they finally kidnapped "funny story" guy and forced him to do something.

It seemed the editor had never let them and the original author have a meeting in person. Even the responds from the author were not directly sent but the editor was on a relay point. But finally, I'm sure they forced him to introduce them and the revised character designs to the author in person because it was really an urgent matter.
So, I 'm inclined to be a bit optimistic about the currently undecided last two episodes that the script writer Maitake has to complete. Possibly, those people concerned to this project are getting closer because of this incident. I'm sure the funny editor had been ignoring not only the questions from Misani to the author but also the answers from author.
Feb 2, 2015 11:24 PM

May 2010
Iguchi in so much stress...

Ema exercising was so cute that I lost my words. Like one of the best things ever!

Rinko to save the day, hell yeah!

The final character design was so cute, like perfect.
Feb 3, 2015 5:06 PM

Oct 2012
Ogasawara aka Goth-Loli is best girl. She was my favorite from the beginning and I loved her backstory. My favorite 3 scenes from this ep were Ema doing that awesome Angel Exercise, Goth-Loli being a pro at baseball and that final part of the ep with Aria's chara design coming to life and saluting~
gust11Feb 3, 2015 5:13 PM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Feb 4, 2015 12:18 AM
Nov 2010
zimno said:

I knew someone here would animate this. xD So hilarious when she squealed <3

I loved the goth-loli baseball spinoff.

And that moment when they grabbed the agent was so gratifying, Was justice!

And actually seeing Igushi smile when the author approved made me so happy. What a great episode. =)
Feb 4, 2015 12:11 PM

Feb 2012
Before I saw Ema dancing, I had no idea what this show was about.

After that I'm so glad I picked this up. I still keep watching the loop, too cute!
Feb 4, 2015 9:34 PM

Oct 2012
Officially tweeted one hour ago! The glossary of technical terms has had two new
phrases added for Episode 17. The entire list is here: (page often fails to load)
http://shirobako-anime.com/words.html
That gives fans in Japan only a few hours to study this new vocabulary in advance
of the episode airing. In addition to that, just 15 minutes ago, director Tsutomu
Mizushima himself sent out a tweet to remind fans of the exact time that Episode
17 will begin on TokyoMX. It starts at 11:30 pm, as usual.
Feb 7, 2015 5:29 AM

Sep 2013
glad the author accept the character design
Feb 8, 2015 7:59 PM

Nov 2007
Ema was incredibly cute in this episode.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 9, 2015 6:59 AM

Nov 2014
The episode was quite down at the start with character design been rejected and telling the one doing the char design to 'make it better' isn't going to work at all; the author should really appear to choose no matter how tight his schedule is in making his manga. I mean the fact that he cared that his characters are not drawn well, show that he likes them so can't he make out some of his time? And that editor... Funny story that the 'author agrees' (said by him) yet suddenly there is email saying the char design is unacceptable. It was awesome to see him being dragged off from his so called 'busy business' to do. And then, just when everything seem so down and almost lost of hope... This comes in:
zimno said:

I was shocked by this scene before re-watching multiple times, laughing at how funny yet cute Ema was in this scene. And even better was when she got seen by Megane girl and Megane girl joined in the dance as well. There's also the baseball scene; Ema's post before throwing the ball with her leg raised, resembled of a pro softballer throwing the softball but sadly, the technique and power are not there. The most surprising one would be the Gothic girl.-Never thought she's the type that plays softball. Seeing her past, it showed another reality of the working world; without support and direction to go, it's like running in circles and never meeting the expectations. I suppose that's partly why Gothic girl know how megane girl feel and helped her much.
Feb 13, 2015 11:34 PM

Jun 2013
Yasuhara just stole my heart. It wasn't just the dancing scene. She was adorable the entire episode.
Feb 15, 2015 2:58 AM

Jun 2013
Favorite episode so far for shure

So much good content, ema too cute
Feb 17, 2015 2:42 AM
Mar 2012
Was hoping for an Ogasawara backstory since her debut... and this was amazing, go club, baseball, rejections, and goth-armor activation!
Ema angel dance was oddly funny (gif saved thanks), counting in Japanese, German, Chinese, Italian & other languages, with perfect voice acting.
Kantoku getting pwned by Diesel-san, and his sad backstory gave him depth in more ways than one.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Does Shirobako get any better?

terryacer - May 7, 2018

26 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

286 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

138 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 12, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

115 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 11, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

165 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 6, 2:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.