Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2015 8:47 PM
Nov 2014
chickiefoo said:
Soooo.. Kaneki totally had his mask in his pocket the whole time?
Anime inconsistency. IIRC, in the manga, Nishiki gives him his mask after they meet again.

I know, that's why it bothered me more than it should have. Wouldn't have been that hard to include Nishiki giving Kaneki his mask, plus it would've given Nishiki more to do... Ah well, not too big of a problem anyways.
Jan 8, 2015 8:53 PM

Aug 2013
That OP is so atrocious. I quite like the 1st season OP (although i think it's quite overrated) but this one is just....... ugh.

And not to mention those terrible animation sequences in several scenes.

But i'm glad they chose to take a different route. The manga doesn't deserve any more butchering by this goddamned studio.
Jan 8, 2015 8:56 PM

Aug 2013
Just because it doesn't follow the manga doesn't mean it's going to be shit. Not everyone reads manga. Also if you're one of those kids that just watches slice of life anime and you're telling me that this second season is going to be garbage well your opinion is just null and void.

Jan 8, 2015 9:02 PM
Oct 2012
I didn't like the OP, but the ED and the is fine, and I really liked that song before the ED. I liked this episode, it was good, but I think it would have been better if it was the last episode of season 1.
Jan 8, 2015 9:04 PM

Dec 2013
Alright episode. I liked the ED song but the OP song........ -_-
I found the animation kind of awkward in some scenes.
Poor Touka, when she found out Kaneki was going to Aogiri ;u;
Jan 8, 2015 9:10 PM
Jun 2014
Glad Tokyo Ghoul is back! <3
I agree that the OP wasn't great as Unravel.
The ED is pretty good though.

So I enjoyed this ep, but I really wonder why Kaneki is joining Aogiri.
It makes me sad. I have no idea what is going on.
Is the anime really not following the manga?
Just wondering if I should start reading it.
Overall, looking forward to next ep!
Jan 8, 2015 9:13 PM

Jan 2015
Phoenix_XIII said:
I'm gunna probably come off as super pretentious in this, but I don't really care, just fair warning:

I HAAAATED this episode. Don't get me wrong, the voice actors were great, the animation was crisp, and they finally got rid of the stupid censoring; but hoooooooly shit, why is it so much to ask that an anime series follow it's manga source material?

I absolutely love the Tokyo Ghoul manga. The storytelling is beautiful, the responses to situations are realistic and the lore and mystery behind everything kept me reading right into constantly refreshing the page in hopes of seeing the new chapter of :re.

This episode single handedly destroyed all of what Tokyo Ghoul was going to evolve into. To cover my tracks, I did like Season 1; there were some changes made that were understandable, some that were unnecessary, and some that actually hindered the characters and their development (specifically the fact that Touka and Kaneki trained fairly often and Kaneki was becoming pretty good at fighting before being kidnapped by Aogiri, and the details of how cannibalism would make ghouls stronger and develop their kakuja), but all in all, it was passable.

Season 2 so far has completely destroyed what could be.

::Spoilers Ahead::

1) Yamori was still alive. Suzuya killed him, earning Suzuya his first Quinque and a promotion. This episode underplayed how sadistic and badass Suzuya is by eliminating that brief fight.

2) Kaneki's fight with Ayato was UNDERWHELMINGLY performed. He was supposed to "half kill" Ayato by breaking 103 of his 206 bones, showing that Kaneki had become much more dulled to the idea of harming another person. This was also the first display of his new level of badassery and a revealing factor that Ayato still wanted to protect Touka

3) Kaneki Joinin Aogiri instead of banding together with Banjou, Tsukiyama and Hinami in order to bring down Aogiri. Not even dipping into the impact this has on Kaneki's relationship with his crew and the implications that has on his own personality when it comes to balancing his friendships with his much darker side, this new change of story has uprooted everything that could happen with Tokyo Ghoul

4) This one is minor, but Kaneki was the one who freed Banjou and company from the prison, making Banjou feel even more indebted to Kaneki, and all the more willing to join his campaign against Aogiri. Instead, Tsukiyama breaks them out with one flimsy line that could possibly be reasoning behind Banjou and Tsukiyama joining up with Kaneki later in the season ("Are you one of Kaneki's friends?" "Yes.")

::End Spoilers::

I am heartbroken by the changes that were made and this new direction they seem to be going in. All I can hope is that Tokyo Ghoul ends and a few years later we get a new series that will actually follow the story the manga has laid out, similarly to how we had Fullmetal Alchemist, and then the supremely better (and actually canon) Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

All I know is that if they take away Kaneki's mental breakdowns, I might have a mental breakdown.

1) Sui Ishida didn't like how the compressed first season caused his story to suffer. So instead of risking the same fate of the 2nd half of TG, Ishida is using this new story specifically for the anime. Seeing as it's still Ishida writing, and not the studio, you should calm about anything ruining anything.

2) Yeah, Suzuya's "fight" with Yamori was skipped, but it could be revealed in a flashback. Even if it isn't shown, it's not that impressive of a feat; he eviscerated a Yamori who was practically already in the grave. His fight against Kuro and Shiro is much more impressive.

3) The 103 bones scene is epic (even if it does indirectly downplay Ayato's power), but isn't warranted with this new direction. He's supposed to work with Ayato now, if the "lesson" took place how would that even be possible?

4) "Kaneki Joinin Aogiri instead of banding together with Banjou, Tsukiyama and Hinami in order to bring down Aogiri. Not even dipping into the impact this has on Kaneki's relationship with his crew and the implications that has on his own personality when it comes to balancing his friendships with his much darker side, this new change of story has uprooted everything that could happen with Tokyo Ghoul."

=___=

Are you serious? This is just fanboy rage, as literally all of that can easily still happen with Kaneki joining Aogiri. It's just now he's interacting with different characters.

5) Kaneki not freeing Banjou is literally completely off people's radar lol, and it's minor and unwarranted for THIS story. You gotta get the fact that this is a new TG story by the author, for the anime.

You CAN'T compare the plot of the two anymore. Just treat it as another story by the same author.

6) Brotherhood is NOT "supremely better" than the original FMA anime. Both are great, and plenty of people (of which, I admit, I am one of) prefer the original anime to the canon adaptation.

You sound like one of those "anything anime original is lame cuz reasons"-type guys. Not saying there's a lot of amazing anime originals and/or deviations, but, jeez, your bias is even blinding you from the fact that THE AUTHOR, SUI ISHIDA, is writing the story for this season; NOT the studio.
Jan 8, 2015 10:18 PM

Dec 2011
And here I thought he will become a vagabond ghoul. I wonder why he joined Aogiri after all of that torture he went through. I should read the manga since I can't wait to know why.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2015 10:18 PM

Mar 2012
I wonder, who sings the insert song that plays right before the credits?
Jan 8, 2015 10:23 PM
Sep 2013
Hmm...Kaneki with the Aogiri. Well, I am no longer treating the manga and anime as the same thing any more. I'm going to treat them as a separate series.

So far, I'm liking the OST and animation. I really like that snow scene at the end. But damn, anything could happen now since this is no longer based off of the manga :O

lol I expected worse but...it's better than I thought :)
Jan 8, 2015 10:23 PM
Nov 2014
RyuPeter said:
DISAPPOINTED!
Nothing like the manga... where Kaneki broke half of the Ayato bones...
Everyone who read the manga will feel the pain of this episode...

As someone who read the manga, I enjoyed every last bit of it. Taking a different route to the manga would be interesting.
It's sort of similar to Fate/stay night UBW.
Albeit, I was looking forward to the bone breaking scene.
Jan 8, 2015 10:27 PM
Aug 2014
Fiji said:
And here I thought he will become a vagabond ghoul. I wonder why he joined Aogiri after all of that torture he went through. I should read the manga since I can't wait to know why.

You should then you can enjoy the awesome sequel ^^
Jan 8, 2015 10:28 PM

Nov 2014
DiaXisHD said:
RyuPeter said:
DISAPPOINTED!
Nothing like the manga... where Kaneki broke half of the Ayato bones...
Everyone who read the manga will feel the pain of this episode...

As someone who read the manga, I enjoyed every last bit of it. Taking a different route to the manga would be interesting.

same, as awesome as it would be to have a tokyo ghoul with everything just like the manga no shortcuts im bored enough to enjoy watching a different take on the story.

be nice if this was like ishidas idea and he was doing this to reveal stuff to us thats cannon to the story like joker and jack but in anime.

i could get down with that
Jan 8, 2015 10:30 PM
Aug 2014
bromains said:
DiaXisHD said:

same, as awesome as it would be to have a tokyo ghoul with everything just like the manga no shortcuts im bored enough to enjoy watching a different take on the story.

be nice if this was like ishidas idea and he was doing this to reveal stuff to us thats cannon to the story like joker and jack but in anime.

i could get down with that

Ishida may or may not reveal more stuff on the Aogiri Tree members as I'd like to get to know more about Eto, Tatara, and especially Noro as they weren't seen as much in the manga.
Jan 8, 2015 10:35 PM

Oct 2013
lol at people who still watch OPs
Jan 8, 2015 10:37 PM

Oct 2014
most lazy OP animation ever. The episode felt really fast paced, not sure if thats a good thing.
Jan 8, 2015 10:42 PM
Oct 2014
Not faithful to the manga is okay I guess.. as long as it delivers the same thrill

I think some people are disappointed because the manga is so awesome, so they want to see it animated

Just like that FMA anime...they ended up doing brotherhood because the manga is super awesome so the thought of doing original story with anime is a shame

Let's see another couple episode first then we may judge will it be better or will it be worse...
mbahamoodJan 8, 2015 10:45 PM
Jan 8, 2015 10:45 PM

Dec 2013
Did Kaneki just pull a Sasuke Uchiha?

May 2013
Holy crap, TG is back with a bang!

Nice OP but I like the ED more and the song before it. But dat twist, damn Kaneki, what is your motive now?
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 2013
If reading manga makes you this annoying and whiny every time its anime adaptation strays from the source material, I'm so fucking glad that I don't read it.
Jan 8, 2015 11:15 PM

Oct 2013
This is only the FIRST episode, and they're already messing it up. So many parts were missing, and the episode overall felt so rushed. Most of the scenes made no sense, and they pretty much changed all the scenes I was looking forward to. ಠ_ಠ On the bright side, the ED was pretty good.

The OP is lame.
Jan 8, 2015 11:27 PM
Aug 2014
MrsKiryuin said:
If reading manga makes you this annoying and whiny every time its anime adaptation strays from the source material, I'm so fucking glad that I don't read it.

Ur just as ignorant as ignorant manga readers so pls
Jan 8, 2015 11:32 PM
Jun 2014
Liked the episode. the OP was a bit.... meh. really hoped for something awesome as unravel. ED was great.
Jan 8, 2015 11:37 PM

Aug 2013
Wow they introduced Eto really fast...
Which is awesome
Because Eto is awesome~
wow gay
Jan 8, 2015 11:40 PM

Apr 2014
This episode alone is better than the first season.
Jan 8, 2015 11:46 PM

Sep 2013
"Oh, what a twist!"

Nice epi.

I'm not sure, is it just me or the quality dropped, like, a lot?

The ED was really nice. (I refuse to talk about that they are trying to call OP)
Jan 8, 2015 11:56 PM
Jan 2015
Phoenix_XIII said:

2) Kaneki's fight with Ayato was UNDERWHELMINGLY performed. He was supposed to "half kill" Ayato by breaking 103 of his 206 bones, showing that Kaneki had become much more dulled to the idea of harming another person. This was also the first display of his new level of badassery and a revealing factor that Ayato still wanted to protect Touka

3) Kaneki Joining Aogiri instead of banding together with Banjou, Tsukiyama and Hinami in order to bring down Aogiri. Not even dipping into the impact this has on Kaneki's relationship with his crew and the implications that has on his own personality when it comes to balancing his friendships with his much darker side, this new change of story has uprooted everything that could happen with Tokyo Ghoul

All I know is that if they take away Kaneki's mental breakdowns, I might have a mental breakdown.

Well, yeah. You are being TOO PRETENTIOUS.
The hell is wrong with you guys?
2) If our badass Kaneki just "half-kill" Ayato, afaik we wouldn't see him until :Re, then. I know how awesome and badass and glorious, and oh-oh-OH GREAT and awesome and glorious and badass and of course Badass! don't forget BADASS the half-killing would be. But Kaneki was supposed to f*ckin join Aogiri here, and whether you like it or not, he would be teamed-up with Ayato, surprise!
3) Wat.
Kaneki relationship with his crew is still there, but with Aogiri, double surprise! In the end, Eto would get some big-ass character development. Oh, and Tatara, and Noro, and of course Ayato! the guy you guys (and me!) hated! I don't know, but maybe he will just be like Tsukiyama to Kaneki in the manga.
-
If you guys don't stop hating, I'll also order one mental breakdown.
-
Sure, fella, very very sure that the OP is... a letdown. Change the animation, and at least I'm good.
Jan 9, 2015 12:04 AM

Aug 2014
Good Episode :D i hope not sad ending -_-
Jan 9, 2015 12:17 AM
Aug 2013
Pretty good start
Jan 9, 2015 12:18 AM
Aug 2014
Just listened to the new opening again. I think the song is good its just the animations are kind of lacking/bland/boring.
Jan 9, 2015 12:24 AM

Apr 2014
Well played pierrot
Jan 9, 2015 12:25 AM

Aug 2014
Jan 9, 2015 12:38 AM

Jul 2013
What is wrong with people reviewing the shit out of this with only 1 episode out?
Jan 9, 2015 12:41 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I haven't finished the manga but I read past this part and was like what, this didn't happen. It was still quite interesting though. Since they sped through the first season anyways, I'm not too attached to the anime to be angry or anything for not going following the manga. In fact, I think I might enjoy this change. But yeah, one minor disappointment is the Kaneki vs. Ayato fight. Definitely was looking forward to the breaking the bones line but not a big issue. Curious to see how this will go down, and no more manga comparisons/possible spoilers since none of us will know the path the anime will follow.

And yeah, the OP was underwhelming compared to the first season :(
Jan 9, 2015 12:50 AM

Jan 2014
Holy shit pierrot holy fucking shit

Can just someone, anyone pls make them stop?

"When /a/ sends its fags, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you.
They’re sending fags that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems to us.
They’re bringing cancer. They’re bringing bait. They’re shitposters.
And some, I assume, are good fags."
-@Xinil
Jan 9, 2015 12:54 AM

Nov 2013
The scene where Touka was trying to catch up to Kaneki. :'< The ED is lovely.

Tsukiyama went all French on us. "Oui, mush (monsieur)."
Jan 9, 2015 1:10 AM

Jul 2013
A nice start of the 2nd season. The action, animation, art and music pretty much improved since the 1st season. And what's great about it is uncensored :D.

That ending scene of the entire episode, just gave me suspenseful feel to it, and Kaneki joining the Aogiri tree seems interesting enough.

The only problem I have is the OP song, but the ed song is much better. As an anime watcher I am pretty hyped up for the entire season :D.

Jan 9, 2015 1:16 AM
Jan 2015
I am going crazy over the OST being played at 20:00-22:37 when Kaneki is walking away and meeting up with the other. Its great. They should have used that for either the OP or ED.

Any word on if its a fill song or will be release later.

And loved his outfit. BADASS!!!
Jan 9, 2015 1:18 AM

Mar 2009
26 pages...
Calm down, MAL.

I'm terrified to see how long the Aldnoah thread is going to be.
Jan 9, 2015 1:27 AM
Dec 2014
so funny how this is a discussion thread and all you read about is about comparisons to the manga or how people versus the manga and the new route aka original authors take... sholdnt we be making predictions as well as analyzing whats going to happen based on what we have so far any way so without further ado.

i think they were never fighting the one eyes owl it was just the "owl" right? because it seems pretty obvious it was yoshimura especially in episode 12 season 1 when he said he was going to fight and not only that there voices also sound the same, and also kaneki realized aogori was going after anteku so it was only in his doing to go over to there side and also eto is a half ghoul technically the daughter of the the owl yashimura sho if she is the one eyed owl how can she be fighting and watching at the same time? unless there is another one that has no relation to either. anyways so it would seem obvious hes going to aoigori to try to stop them from obviously trying to take over anteku to protect that of which he loves most especially after jason told him that anteiku was in the way and that they were going to kill them, thats why kaneki said to toukas brother about protection seems like he was almost forced into joining in order to protect his sister. just rememeber touka is a main character so we have to see where this goes whether its kaneki turning into the enemy for a while and finally revealing his true intentions to protect that of which he loves by tearing up that organization from the inside out. or if he was trying to change the views of those humans who really appose ghouls and try to create a peace between the two anyways these are all just here say i honestly just here-say.SO far so good lets keep it going just dont fucking leave out touka chan she is the fucking dopest dope i ever smoked.

i have alot of theories and good ones in which this could go in lets hope it doesnt let me down and just kills it
ozzynothingJan 9, 2015 1:33 AM
Jan 9, 2015 1:28 AM

Apr 2014
I like it so far. Even as a die hard manga fan

Ishida is writing this branch off, with Pierrot. So it's not like they are butchering the story. Think of this as if Kaneki were to choose differently at this point in time in the story, compared to the manga. It gives a pretty fresh perspective on the story. Kind of like a Zelda story line theme, where different choices lead to different outcomes. I actually really enjoy it so far. I don't so much care if it's completely canon, so long as the story flows and isn't rushed so much so as they did with the first season.
Jan 9, 2015 1:28 AM

Nov 2012
Was an alright episode. Nothing interesting, but it wasn't bad in any way. Kinda looking forward to see what Kaneki's motives are, but as it stands, I think Tokyo Ghoul ended perfectly with season 1.
Jan 9, 2015 1:40 AM

Jun 2014
Does anyone know the name of the english song that started playing when Kaneki left Touka when the snow was falling? It was absolutely beautiful!
La familia es todo.
Jan 9, 2015 1:43 AM
Jul 2018
Alternative story, huh?
Worth to watch then. Looking forward to see how badass Kaneki in the alternative route.
Jan 9, 2015 1:46 AM

Jun 2012
Indifferent OP/ED.

Episode just picked up where s1 left off, was ok I guess.

Lets see how much they can rush it now
Jan 9, 2015 1:46 AM
Jun 2014
PURE EPICNESS. When he said "Shut up im talking" omggggggg. OP song is not good in my opinion. Unravel couldnt be beated mut maybe something close. Not a manga reader and am hyped but I have decided to read the manga too since everyone keeps talking about the 103 bones thingo. Beast ep 11/10
Dem anime hipsters tho 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Jan 9, 2015 1:50 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Whoa alternative unvierse Tokyo Ghoul compared to the manga. A "what if" situation and honestly a good idea since they butchered the first season so badly anyway.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 9, 2015 1:51 AM

Sep 2011
Well, it's fine for the first episode

Don't like the OP :((
Jan 9, 2015 1:54 AM

Jun 2013
iAmZiro said:
Been waiting for this for a while, I actually like the opening, It may not be Unravel but I think it's good.

Edit: Man I had a blast watching this episode, badass Kaneki is badass.

I agree with everything you just said.
ED was just great, as well. Can't wait to have it.
Jan 9, 2015 2:03 AM

Jan 2014
Liked this episode alot, the new ED is going to be one of my favourites for sure. (OP was pretty weak imo but yeah that's been mentioned a bunch already)
Pages (17) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

760 by ShirJager »»
Apr 17, 5:39 PM

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

37 by Zimmu »»
Apr 3, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

256 by dustyblue »»
Feb 7, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2015

300 by RapidPhantom »»
Jan 23, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.