Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime had interesting premise but poor execution?

New
Dec 24, 2014 3:44 AM

Aug 2014
Every now and then a solid idea comes along for an anime which we get all excited about however are unfortunately let down due to it being poorly executed. This could be due to poor direction, characters, plot etc.

Have you ever experienced this annoyance with any anime?

If so what went wrong with that particular anime and how do you think it could be improved if redone?

Try not to list. Explain and discuss.
FoxfireDec 24, 2014 5:13 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 24, 2014 3:53 AM

Dec 2013
I've lost track of all the ones that faceplanted to some degree or another...
Dec 24, 2014 3:56 AM

Jun 2013
Not exactly answering the topic but basically, I'd watch Nanatsu no Taizai seinen/matured version. I like the concept of seven deadly sins, FMA does it pretty well but it does not really focus on it. The same goes with 9 tailed beasts in Naruto.
Dec 24, 2014 3:57 AM

Dec 2013
I must say Suisei no Gargantia ( fuck SAO ).

I still like it, but I feel like 12 episodes are not enough for it, the concept is very interesting but not explored fully.
Dec 24, 2014 4:02 AM

Apr 2014
Campione had so much going for it with a really interesting premise, but it sucked so bad. AND THAT KISSING SCENE?!?!?!
Dec 24, 2014 4:23 AM
Oct 2014
Log Horizon. Good idea but too much political shit I just want some fucking fights
Dec 24, 2014 4:29 AM

Mar 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
Campione had so much going for it with a really interesting premise, but it sucked so bad. AND THAT KISSING SCENE?!?!?!

Oh dear god dont remind me.
Dec 24, 2014 4:29 AM

Oct 2014
Jarkzy said:
Log Horizon. Good idea but too much political shit I just want some fucking fights

Watch SAO :P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2014 4:41 AM

Jan 2011
Milky_way1886 said:
Jarkzy said:

And then you get AIDS drama instead.
Dec 24, 2014 4:42 AM

Apr 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
Milky_way1886 said:

Log Horizon is actually a really good show.
Dec 24, 2014 4:44 AM

Jan 2011
Milk_is_Special said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Log Horizon is actually a really good show.
I agree, although I'm not really sold on season 2 yet.
Dec 24, 2014 4:45 AM

Oct 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
Milky_way1886 said:

We can skip the aids drama by watching the first half of SAO 1.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2014 4:52 AM
Jul 2018
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha whatever it I thought it was going to be bad ass but it ended up talking about how to fucking farm
removed-userDec 24, 2014 4:58 AM
Dec 24, 2014 4:58 AM

Oct 2008
Most recently from what I watched Ghost Hound
amateurDec 24, 2014 5:10 AM
Dec 24, 2014 5:10 AM
Apr 2010
Black Bullet and Zankyou no Terror.

What went wrong?
BB = Everything got rushed which crushed any atmosphere that the events were meant to carry.
Terror = Introduction of a certain someone.
AiriDec 24, 2014 5:15 AM
Dec 24, 2014 5:17 AM

Nov 2009
Yumekui Merry, The fact that she went into dreams and stuff was cool, The show was fucking terrible though as every character was an emotional cripple even ones who have only been in the show for 5 minutes start crying, Constant whinging does not make a good show and as I am watching Letter Bee that is also doing this but its not to the extent where I was so fucking angry during Merry.
Dec 24, 2014 5:49 AM
Nov 2013
Impala said:
Not exactly answering the topic but basically, I'd watch Nanatsu no Taizai seinen/matured version. I like the concept of seven deadly sins, FMA does it pretty well but it does not really focus on it. The same goes with 9 tailed beasts in Naruto.

Are you implying Nanatsu no Taizai has poor execution of the concept? Because of all the problems I could see, this is not one of them. I think this is just a matter of preference. But yeah, I'd prefer a more serious shounen, but I wouldn't put this in the "poor execution" category, is just something I'd prefer.

I think I'd say F/SN has a pretty good concept, but with bad execution. Here the problem is different from Nanatsu no Taizai, because it seems that Fate doesn't know exactly what to do (Nanatsu no Taizai sticks with that kind of silly and funny shounen, but Fate...), it's pretty much jarring with all those change of tones. Sometimes looks like an epic fantasy, sometimes looks like a poor high school romance/harem with people going silly for nothing... I guess they could focus on the first aspect, and stop those jarring change of tones. The last episode was a complete waste for example.
Dec 24, 2014 6:27 AM

Feb 2013
kami sama no inai nichiyoubi; the synopsis is relevant only for the first episode after which it becomes pretty much a shitty fantasy adventure
Dec 24, 2014 6:34 AM

Dec 2013
Kolnikov said:
Impala said:

Are you implying Nanatsu no Taizai has poor execution of the concept? Because of all the problems I could see, this is not one of them. I think this is just a matter of preference. But yeah, I'd prefer a more serious shounen, but I wouldn't put this in the "poor execution" category, is just something I'd prefer.

I think I'd say F/SN has a pretty good concept, but with bad execution. Here the problem is different from Nanatsu no Taizai, because it seems that Fate doesn't know exactly what to do (Nanatsu no Taizai sticks with that kind of silly and funny shounen, but Fate...), it's pretty much jarring with all those change of tones. Sometimes looks like an epic fantasy, sometimes looks like a poor high school romance/harem with people going silly for nothing... I guess they could focus on the first aspect, and stop those jarring change of tones. The last episode was a complete waste for example.

I dare you to post this near the priests. Though I agree completely.
Dec 24, 2014 6:52 AM

Oct 2012
Kolnikov said:

Keep in mind we are only halfway through one third of F/SN, its meant to be taken as a whole. I do agree to some extent about the romance stuff, its a bit distracting at times (although jesus christ the cooking scenes in the VN are even more distracting) but because VNs don't sell with H-Scenes it was inevitable. I'm guessing the episode you're talking is the day where Rin and Shirou go on a date?

Either way I know I'm not going to change your opinion on it but I will say that one of the reasons F/SN is so loved is that it has some pretty good twists and that's what this cour as been building towards.
Dec 24, 2014 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
Akame ga Kill!,Zankyou no Terror, Mag and Jormungand.
Dec 24, 2014 7:00 AM

Sep 2014
Akame Ga Kill - The deaths were to predictable. Basically after ep 3, it went down my expectations. I did not like that repetitive missions, and the whole Night Raid vs Jaegers was talked waaaaaay too much, and when they finally fought.............. DISAPPOINTMENT.

SAO II 1st arc: I love the idea of that Gun Game (GGO), but the fights were boring, and they only spend it on 1 tournament. DEATH GUN DEATH GUN. Seriously, is there any other strong players on GGO.

Okami Shoujo kuro ouiji: After they stopped "fake dating". I liked the idea of pretending to be boyfrend and girlfriends, but once they end it, there was nothing special is left. The side characters were boring, and the side stories too.
Dec 24, 2014 7:02 AM

Nov 2012
Wixoss
The main characters didn't help either. Ruuko, the incest girl, the glasses friendless girl, and Tama were all terrible. Akira was entertaining, the rest was either bland or outright annoying.
Dec 24, 2014 7:05 AM

Apr 2014
Eremiel said:
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha whatever it I thought it was going to be bad ass but it ended up talking about how to fucking farm
Farming Simulator is one damn hard game to play.
Dec 24, 2014 7:09 AM

Aug 2013
Glasslip. The supernatural element idea was interest to me but nothing made any sense.

Even though I gave this show a good score, I think that Black Bullet was rushed. Overall, I still enjoyed it but it could have been better.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Dec 24, 2014 7:17 AM

Jan 2014
Feaor said:
Either way I know I'm not going to change your opinion on it but I will say that one of the reasons F/SN is so loved is that it has some pretty good twists and that's what this cour as been building towards.

On that note, that's where the anime also kinda screwed up on already, IMO.
Major spoiler, obviously.

robis798 said:
Kolnikov said:

I dare you to post this near the priests. Though I agree completely.

Fully agreeing as well.
Dec 24, 2014 8:53 AM

Apr 2014
Akame ga Kill- precisely, almost of the characters were killed
Dec 24, 2014 8:54 AM

May 2014
ninjastarforcex said:
aldnoah

Imo aldnoah didn't even have an interesting premise. Anyone who wants to watch a mecha anime involving occupation and resistance should just watch code geass.

As for what i thought could have had potential with its premise...m3 dark metal. It could have been silent hill with mechs, but tbh theyd have to redo the plot and characters from the ground up
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Dec 24, 2014 8:58 AM

Jan 2014
Flare_Tide said:
Akame ga Kill- precisely, almost of the characters were killed

But wasn't the high kill count kinda its main selling point? Never considered its premise anything near interesting/unique/whatever. Actually rather generic and simple.
Dec 24, 2014 9:06 AM

Dec 2013
Akame ga Kill, everything after ep 17 just had poor execution and was a joke from a writer standpoint of view. The canon material itself wasn't as amazing as i expected from reading the reviews, as there's problems with jarring transitions, or villains being evil just for the sake of it, but overall it does a good job at setting up the dark atmosphere and amaze me every month, minor flaws don't detract from my enjoyment.

Obvious SAO mention, all they had to do was show Kirito's hardships through the first floors. That's it, also pseudo-harem was just unnecessary.

I would say Ushinawareta, but did that hold any potential from the start?
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Dec 24, 2014 9:08 AM

Mar 2014
Airi said:
Black Bullet and Zankyou no Terror.

What went wrong?
BB = Everything got rushed which crushed any atmosphere that the events were meant to carry.
Terror = Introduction of a certain someone.

i seriously want to know what you expected from black bullet with all its lolis
Dec 24, 2014 9:19 AM

Jun 2010
waterfallsxo said:
Glasslip. The supernatural element idea was interest to me but nothing made any sense.

Even though I gave this show a good score, I think that Black Bullet was rushed. Overall, I still enjoyed it but it could have been better.

This but with another reason.
I was expecting a glass-making anime, seriously.
P.A.Works artwork and an interesting story about the process would make it at least a 7/10, they could show MC learning how to work with the glass while dealing with daily troubles and adolescent issues... but they fucked it up. The potential to make a beautiful SoL with great visuals was there.
Dec 24, 2014 9:21 AM

Oct 2012
xbobx said:
waterfallsxo said:

P.A.Works artwork and an interesting story about the process would make it at least a 7/10, they could show MC learning how to work with the glass while putting up with daily troubles and adolescent issues... but they fucked it up. The potential to make a beautiful SoL with great visuals was there.
I too was hoping for something like Hanasaku Iroha but with glass making instead of Onsen waitressing. But of course not, we'd never get another SoL like that from P.A. Works :|
Dec 24, 2014 9:23 AM

Mar 2014
Op why are you recycling topics?
Dec 24, 2014 9:27 AM

Oct 2014
K, Blood Lad, Karneval (from what I read the manga is better), NO.6 (I haven't read the novels so don't know if they are better in comparison) and Arcana Famiglia (my god, wow, did this anime run itself into the ground. would've, could've, should've of been something really good honestly).

I'm sure there are others just can't think of anymore.
Dec 24, 2014 1:40 PM

Jun 2013
Kolnikov said:
Impala said:

Not really, guess that's completely unrelated to the topic. Anyway, I had no prior knowledge that Nanatsu was a shounen the first time I heard it's going to be animated. I was simply intrigued by the concept of seven deadly sins and expected, well, more serious show. If Nanatsu intends to be a funny silly shounen mixed with fanservice like Fairy Tail, it does damn good then. Still, it's not to my liking.
Dec 24, 2014 3:36 PM

Dec 2013
Another
- On first ep: Wow me like. Down with bullies!
- By last ep: Df happened tf is this.?

Paranoia Agent
- On first ep: Satoshi Kon! Hope this one's interesting! Who's the boy with the golden bat and skates!?
- By last ep: Really? ?? You decided to abandon the premise and plot like 3 episodes ago, for whatever the ffk this is?

Anohana
- On First ep: Ya I'm curious about what's gonna happen!
- By last ep: Jesus fk that took forever. They needed 11 episodes for this? I don';t even remember 90% of the main characters' name smfh.

That about breaks it down for a few.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Dec 24, 2014 3:40 PM

Apr 2013
robis798 said:
Sloth_ said:
the 2nd half ruined it for me

Now that's something new.
The way they used the time traveling as a plot device to work through the characters' problems was basic, too fast paced & uninteresting.
I was loving it up until episode 12.
Dec 24, 2014 3:46 PM

Dec 2013
Black Bullet

Seriously, the anime has no idea what it wants to be
Dec 24, 2014 3:48 PM

Aug 2014
2nd half of steins gate was amazing. Maybe they where just searching for a run of the mill harem show.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Dec 24, 2014 4:33 PM

Oct 2012
mirai nikki soooo much. the interesting plot was all it had going for it. so embarrassingly dumb though.
Dec 24, 2014 4:33 PM
Oct 2014
The one that sticks in my mind the most is Blood+. I attempted to read and watch it, but I couldn't find myself getting into either.

I was happy with an attractive butler-like character that played the cello instead of the violin, but I have to say, Hagi was the only engaging character. Taking away the fact that anime twisted the manga's plot way out of proportion, I feel that the story didn't focus on what it needed to right away. Some cool things happened, and the mystery was intriguing. However, they focused more on drama that could have waited. Unfortunately, I can't give a full opinion because I was unable to finish the anime due to disinterest.

The second one I can think of is Deadman Wonderland. I really like the story, but it felt too rushed. There was a large plot twist that I felt was introduced too quickly in the anime. I felt the anime acted like a teaser trailer for the manga, kinda saying "if you liked this story, you should read it!" The manga was executed better, but the anime could have been better if they made it longer.
Dec 24, 2014 4:35 PM

Aug 2013
xbobx said:
waterfallsxo said:

P.A.Works artwork and an interesting story about the process would make it at least a 7/10, they could show MC learning how to work with the glass while dealing with daily troubles and adolescent issues... but they fucked it up. The potential to make a beautiful SoL with great visuals was there.

You know what if the show decided to go that route I wouldn't been upset at all. I like your suggestion more than mine now. Glass making was so minor in this show which is strange seeing how it's title is GLASSLIP. I agree with you that the art work was beautiful and this show had the potential to be at least 7.5 almost 8, but the execution was bad.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Dec 24, 2014 4:37 PM

Jun 2014
Mekkakucity Actors

The first episode was rly good but after that nobody even used their powers and the most interesting thing about it was the post-credits sub story
Dec 24, 2014 5:07 PM

Apr 2014
Jerkhov said:
Mekkakucity Actors

The first episode was rly good but after that nobody even used their powers and the most interesting thing about it was the post-credits sub story
Still a fun show IMO.
Dec 24, 2014 5:47 PM

Jul 2012
Jerkhov said:
Mekkakucity Actors

It's just a really bad adaptation.
Dec 24, 2014 6:07 PM

Dec 2012
To make mention of a less obvious title, Akuma no Riddle is criminally guilty of this. It is the definition of a show that lacks direction. Its tone jumps harder than Akame ga Kill's early episodes, constantly trying to take itself extremely seriously with edgy and grim talk of death yet never bothers to go anywhere with it. Particularly (full series spoilers) -

Dec 24, 2014 6:08 PM

Jul 2012
^ It would have been much better if it wasn't Assassin of the Week. :/
Dec 24, 2014 8:49 PM

Jul 2014
Code Geass: It has and interesting premises; war, justicy, etc but the execution is pretty poor with a lot of plot hole and useless character.
Dec 24, 2014 9:23 PM

Jan 2014
Neon Genesis Evangelion. Going the 2deep4u route ruined it.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 minutes ago

1 by rohan121 »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 29 minutes ago

5 by delirific »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

52 by Punkero »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - Today

49 by Deknijff »»
8 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.