Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Yearly Manga & Light Novel Rankings for 2014

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 30, 2014 10:52 PM
Oct 2012
*8. *,545,890 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index

This is truly saddening. This used to be the king of LNs alongside queen Haruhi. Thankfully Kamachi still writes on time to keep the series going unlike a certain lazy someone. But still, too see that it's fallen this far. Yes, it has crazy staying power, more than anything on that list BUT I want it to be at the top again. MIKI YOU MOTHERFUCKER ANNOUNCE A NEW SEASON ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 30, 2014 11:11 PM

Sep 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
No they wouldn't unless they're looking at the wrong numbers to judge that off of like the yearly sales that you posted earlier. Which numbers show that it's losing in popularity?
Show me proof that it's happening enough to affect its popularity and let another manga beat it and I will admit it but you have done nothing of the sort yet. Just talking about google trends and the such.

Not really.

SimmianPrime said:

The difference between your "logic" and IntroverTurtle's is that he's using HARD numbers to back his logic up. All you're doing is using google trends to form your opinion.

Here are One Piece sales from the past 7 years plotted

This observed pattern is consistent with the mathematical phenomenon of a "bell curve" shown here:

This phenomenon isn't limited to a simple manga series - it is observed in many statistical analysis, and frequently occurs across numerous fields of study.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2014 11:20 PM

Nov 2013
Give me new season of Chihayafuru already.
Nov 30, 2014 11:21 PM

Nov 2010
mickdrew_99 said:

This observed pattern is consistent with the mathematical phenomenon of a "bell curve" shown here:

This phenomenon isn't limited to a simple manga series - it is observed in many statistical analysis, and frequently occurs across numerous fields of study.
Which sales? Yearly sales? I already said that doesn't represent popularity. Do you understand what an anime boost is?

I will simplify it for you. 500 people are the extra, pretend One Piece had 1,000 people who buy it regularly before these 500/the anime boost. 500 people are introduced through a new movie or some other event to One Piece and instead of just buying the newest volume they have to catch up. So all 500 people buy the previous 70 volumes or so. That is a lot of manga being bought and it boosts the volume sales for that year by a lot. But when they catch up they are only buying the new volumes now. So the next year as they aren't buying the old volumes anymore the yearly sales will have dropped back to a little higher than they were before the boost. But in reality One Piece actually gained 500 fans who now buy it regularly thus its popularity has actually risen even though the sales fell.
If you really want to see popularity then you look at first week volume sales.

Not only that but One Piece only put out 3 volumes this year instead of 4.
Nov 30, 2014 11:29 PM

Sep 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
mickdrew_99 said:

Which sales? Yearly sales? I already said that doesn't represent popularity. Do you understand what an anime boost is?

I will simplify it for you. 500 people are the extra, pretend One Piece had 1,000 people who buy it regularly before these 500/the anime boost. 500 people are introduced through a new movie or some other event to One Piece and instead of just buying the newest volume they have to catch up. So all 500 people buy the previous 70 volumes or so. That is a lot of manga being bought and it boosts the volume sales for that year by a lot. But when they catch up they are only buying the new volumes now. So the next year as they aren't buying the old volumes anymore the yearly sales will have dropped back to a little higher than they were before the boost. But in reality One Piece actually gained 500 fans who now buy it regularly thus its popularity has actually risen even though the sales fell.
If you really want to see popularity then you look at first week volume sales.

Not only that but One Piece only put out 3 volumes this year instead of 4.

The trend still shows One Piece is not adding many newcomers. So the Bell Curve phenomenon is inevitable.

If you run a church, members added need to be greater than or equal to those who leave. If that doesn't happen, your church will shrink.

If One Piece isn't adding new people, then you're simply relying on the existing fanbase to never leave - which some are bound to do.

The Bell Curve phenomenon has happened for every popular trend - whether it be memes or Gangnam Style. It will and is occurring to One Piece right now (shortage of new comers is simply the first sign).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2014 11:42 PM

Apr 2013
Watashi20 said:

This is truly saddening. This used to be the king of LNs alongside queen Haruhi. Thankfully Kamachi still writes on time to keep the series going unlike a certain lazy someone. But still, too see that it's fallen this far. Yes, it has crazy staying power, more than anything on that list BUT I want it to be at the top again. MIKI YOU MOTHERFUCKER ANNOUNCE A NEW SEASON ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a story of what, 6 years ago? And IIRC it was only the case because series more popular on that year didn't publish 4 new volumes/year. Index never sold enough to be considered the top seller on yearly basis if not for the number of volumes released. Don't get me wrong, it's selling extremely well, but the top sellers by volumes years after years are between 500k and 1 million sales throughout the year. Index doesn't reach those numbers and never reached them on only one year.

BTW, 30th LN sold for 170,000+? I remember the cut off last year to be below 160,000. If that's correct, it may means that the average top seller on the LN side have more sales this year than last year.
ZefyrisNov 30, 2014 11:45 PM
Dec 1, 2014 12:28 AM

Apr 2012
OP too OP as always :)

Watashi20 said:

This is so true it's sad :(
Dec 1, 2014 12:29 AM

Jan 2014
and one piece is back to the top. that was a close battle with AoT
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Dec 1, 2014 12:36 AM

Feb 2013
@Mick
I just want to say it's most likely ( if nothing bad happens to Oda) that One Piece will go up in sales next year if he can make 4 volumes so where's your Bell Curven then

Also if you look at the year 2010 where One Piece Sold 32 million, the highest selling Volume of One Piece had 2.59 million
And the highest selling volume of One Piece has been 3 million+ since 2011 now, so there is a little decline in sales but nothing as big as you're talking
Dec 1, 2014 12:42 AM

Dec 2011
pika09 said:

- MIKAGURA! F*CK YES! My favorite Vocaloid series is selling really well for one that doesn't even have an anime (yet)! I sure hope it gets one!
(no Shuuen no Shiori on that list though... I thought it was still selling more than Mikagura... hehehe...)

Anyway, question: Do these light novel sales reflect the overall sales of the series for this year only? I didn't understand the source :/

Recorded sales per volume of Shuuen no Shiori and Mikagura are about the same, but Mikagura has had 3 volumes out in the covered year whereas Shuuen no Shiori only had 2.

And yes the sales reported are those sales that took place during the year period at the start of the thread.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 1, 2014 12:47 AM
Jul 2014
It saddens me that neither Toriko nor Highschool DxD placed even on the top 30 of their respective categories...
Dec 1, 2014 12:47 AM

Dec 2011
Zefyris said:

BTW, 30th LN sold for 170,000+? I remember the cut off last year to be below 160,000. If that's correct, it may means that the average top seller on the LN side have more sales this year than last year.

For series it's 177k this year against 155k last year.

Of course, there's the duplicate NGNL on there, but we also know from weekly data that Amagi Brilliant Park has a total of >170k so even without that the rankings would be over 170k for the top 30.

It wouldn't actually surprise me if there were 40 series above last year's top 30 requirement, though. There have been a LOT of huge anime boosts over the past year (NGNL, AmaBuri, 6jouma, Black Bullet, LH... StB, Mahouka, Tokyo Ravens and Madan have all seen big boosts as well, although not proportionately on the same scale as those others), and thus stuff (DxD, Haganai, KyouHora) that would likely have got in with last year's threshold don't make it.
kuuderes_shadowDec 1, 2014 1:38 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 1, 2014 12:50 AM
Jul 2018
GREATO DAZE! I'm so glad One Piece is still ranking 1 in the sales, haha you were almost there Shingeki no Kyojin! I hope Bleach picks up and makes it to at least top 10 but that doesn't seem like it'll ever happen.
Dec 1, 2014 1:14 AM
Mar 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:

Recorded sales per volume of Shuuen no Shiori and Mikagura are about the same, but Mikagura has had 3 volumes out in the covered year whereas Shuuen no Shiori only had 2.

And yes the sales reported are those sales that took place during the year period at the start of the thread.

Oh I see! Thanks!

By the way, do you have a link for last year's list? There's something I want to check and I can't find it on the forums anymore.
Dec 1, 2014 1:18 AM

Dec 2011
pika09 said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

Oh I see! Thanks!

By the way, do you have a link for last year's list? There's something I want to check and I can't find it on the forums anymore.

Will this do?
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=731219
Dec 1, 2014 1:24 AM

Mar 2011
Studied said:
GREATO DAZE! I'm so glad One Piece is still ranking 1 in the sales, haha you were almost there Shingeki no Kyojin! I hope Bleach picks up and makes it to at least top 10 but that doesn't seem like it'll ever happen.

When they start the anime, manga will receive some boost.
Dec 1, 2014 1:31 AM

Dec 2013
Haven't update Kimi ni Todoke in a long time, I wonder what happen to the series since the sales slipped a lot :/
Dec 1, 2014 1:35 AM
Mar 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:

Will this do?

Thanks for the link! What I was looking for wasn't in there but I'm just going to assume it wasn't really in the rankings in the first place.
Dec 1, 2014 1:38 AM

Dec 2011
pika09 said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

Will this do?

Thanks for the link! What I was looking for wasn't in there but I'm just going to assume it wasn't really in the rankings in the first place.

Care to elaborate on what you were looking for?
Dec 1, 2014 1:40 AM

Nov 2008
Ayy Haikyuu and Magi!h

chihayafuru almost sold 2mil! nice!
Dec 1, 2014 1:41 AM
Jan 2010
Snow said:

Light Novel Sales by Series
*1. 1,599,614 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
*2. 1,403,681 Sword Art Online
*4. *,826,719 Monogatari Series
*5. *,640,119 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
*7. *,594,667 No Game No Life
11. *,373,077 Sword Art Online: Progressive
14. *,358,317 Black Bullet

17. *,275,084 Accel World

21. *,221,158 Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka
25. *,188,587 Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
27. *,187,561 Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou desu yo?
28. *,183,607 Eromanga-sensei
29. *,182,131 Tokyo Ravens
30. *,177,671 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Tanpenshuu
]

yes yes very good. I like this.

Mahouka only went from 947k sold in 2013 to 1.59 million in 2014. That's an awesome boost. Now to just wait to see how volume 15 goes.
Dec 1, 2014 1:58 AM

Jun 2014
OMG haikyuu!!
Dec 1, 2014 2:05 AM
Mar 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:

Ayyy you don't have to bother if it's causing too much trouble! I just remembered a 2013(?) list that included Shuuen no Shiori so I was just wondering if I'd be able to find that series in the full list (since I know that it definitely did not rank in the top 20)

Sorry if it sounded confusing, my memory's a bit hazy but I definitely recall seeing at least volume 1 in a list somewhere.
Dec 1, 2014 2:23 AM
Mar 2010
Extremely happy to see Haikyuu!!, Kurobasu, Daiya no A and of course, YowaPeda. I knew Haikyuu!! would be high and Kurobasu would drop a bit. Daiya no A benefited from the anime a lot. And so did Yowamushi Pedal. I remember at one time YowaPeda's manga was only selling ~35k per volume. How an anime can change things! Well deserved.

Ao Haru Ride got an excellent boost, so did Gekkan Shoujo. And seeing Noragami up there makes me extremely happy. Another case where each volume only used to sell ~50k or so.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Dec 1, 2014 2:28 AM

Oct 2013
Nice to see SAO in the rankings.
Dec 1, 2014 2:49 AM

Dec 2011
pika09 said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

Ayyy you don't have to bother if it's causing too much trouble! I just remembered a 2013(?) list that included Shuuen no Shiori so I was just wondering if I'd be able to find that series in the full list (since I know that it definitely did not rank in the top 20)

Sorry if it sounded confusing, my memory's a bit hazy but I definitely recall seeing at least volume 1 in a list somewhere.

Are you sure it wasn't my all time sales list on LNDB (link in my sig)? I don't think the series has ever ranked on a long term ranking list anywhere else.
Dec 1, 2014 3:02 AM
Mar 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:
pika09 said:

Are you sure it wasn't my all time sales list on LNDB (link in my sig)? I don't think the series has ever ranked on a long term ranking list anywhere else.

Oh that's it! I actually checked this list a while ago, but it's only now that I've seen that the full list is actually enclosed. Thanks a lot for your assistance!
Dec 1, 2014 3:16 AM

Jan 2013
Snow said:

What's the appeal in reading a story about a Gary Stue type character who info dumps the living shit out of you every 5 seconds and his little sister that wants his D deep inside her? Oh boy -_-
Dec 1, 2014 3:19 AM

Dec 2013
The difference of sale between snk and op is literally little wow great job.
Interesting rankings!
Dec 1, 2014 3:24 AM

Apr 2014
TheNaturalPerm said:
Snow said:

What's the appeal in reading a story about a Gary Stue type character who info dumps the living shit out of you every 5 seconds and his little sister that wants his D deep inside her? Oh boy -_-

Some people enjoy his monologues which weren't in the anime and if I recall correctly his sister is a lot less annoying in the novels. Still I think its better than SAO though. *shrugs*
Dec 1, 2014 3:26 AM

May 2010
Snow said:
Here are the Manga and Light Novel sales rankings for the fiscal year of 2014. (November 18, 2013 - November 16, 2014)

Manga Sales by Series
Manga Sales by Series
*3. *8,283,709 Haikyuu!!
*8. *4,657,971 Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
13. *4,166,875 Ao Haru Ride
16. *3,816,372 Nisekoi
17. *3,275,885 Fairy Tail
27. *2,231,805 Noragami
29. *1,967,675 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
30. *1,937,059 Chihayafuru

*3. 1,106,631 Kagerou Days
*6. *,603,511 Haikyuu!! Shousetsu-ban!!
18. *,272,818 Hidan no Aria
19. *,255,512 Kokuhaku Yokou Renshuu
22. *,204,779 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
23. *,201,009 Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru
24. *,199,203 Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku
25. *,188,587 Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?

This. I am just super-duper happy for the bolded ones esp. GSNK.
Dec 1, 2014 4:03 AM

Oct 2013
Civille said:
Interesting rankings!

The difference of each volume is pretty great. But there were more releases of SnK Tankōbons than One Piece this year, right?
Otherwise SnK wouldn't be so close to OP, I guess.
Dec 1, 2014 4:13 AM

Apr 2014
Behemoth11 said:
Civille said:
Interesting rankings!

The difference of each volume is pretty great. But there were more releases of SnK Tankōbons than One Piece this year, right?

SnK would have easily topped the list if it wasn't a monthly manga.
Dec 1, 2014 4:17 AM

Apr 2010
Manga sales show that it's only getting more popular and isn't falling.

Nope that's not true at all. One Piece is indeed falling in manga sales. At it's peak volumes were selling around 2.8-2.9 million copies in a month, now it's down to about 2.5-2.6 million copies in a month.

A quick comparison. Vol 65 sold 2894K copies in 32 days and Vol 75 sold 2562K copies in 31 days. Down about 11% in sales.
Dec 1, 2014 4:23 AM

Jun 2014
Wow, it was really close this year between One Piece and SNK this year. That's it I'm starting Haikyuu now. Those sales are insane. I'm really happy for TG. Naruto didn't sell as much as I expected. NNT had about six episodes released by the time this ranking was done yet it sold so well. Assclass is definitely the most impressive on that list since it sells exceedingly well without an anime and with just a few volumes.

Behemoth11 said:
Civille said:
Interesting rankings!

Nope, actually One Piece always releases more volumes than SNK except this year where they released the same number (3).

Z4k said:
Behemoth11 said:

This.
Dec 1, 2014 4:32 AM

Jan 2013
If SNK wasn't a monthly manga but a weekly,the anime adaptation would have come before 2013 and would not be competing with One Piece 12 - 18 millions of copies but with the 24 - 38 millions of copies.
Dec 1, 2014 5:13 AM
Apr 2012
Good to see One Piece still king, thoroughly deserved as well with an incredible arc ongoing at the moment. SnKs sales still astound me though, it truly is the Bayformers of manga.

*2. 1,403,681 Sword Art Online
11. *,373,077 Sword Art Online: Progressive
12. *,361,363 Strike the Blood
13. *,359,343 Date A Live
17. *,275,084 Accel World
23. *,201,009 Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru
26. *,187,609 Nourin
27. *,187,561 Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou desu yo?
28. *,183,607 Eromanga-sensei
29. *,182,131 Tokyo Ravens

Beautiful list, especially with Mahouka at the top, phenomenal series, one of the best novel series I've ever read, so glad it got a very healthy anime boost. S2 would be lovely.

Abh_jet said:
What's with LN sells? I thought mahouka didnt get much boost from anime??

It likely got a solid boost per novel each week but not enough to consistently rank each week. It all adds up though.
Dec 1, 2014 5:31 AM

Oct 2013
Agafin said:

Nope, actually One Piece always releases more volumes than SNK except this year where they released the same number (3).

And each volume of those three OP tankōbons have sold nearly one Mio. more than SnK-as we can see in the rankings. So why is SnK so close to OP in this fiscal year? Where does the residual number of sales come from?
Dec 1, 2014 5:51 AM
May 2012
Damn, Shingeki no Kyojin.........Almost, man....almost.
Shingeki no Kyojin is rocking alongside with Naruto and One Piece.
Dec 1, 2014 6:39 AM

Nov 2011
3- Haikyuu!
4- Tokyo Ghoul
12- Terra Formars
14- Yowamushi Pedal
25- Detective Conan

AWW YEAH!!!

(Gotta check out Nanatsu no Taizai and Assassination Classroom)

And most importantly
#1 goes to ... ONE PIECE
HELL YESSSS!!!
Dec 1, 2014 6:44 AM

Jan 2014
Bleach @ 18?! Damn. And Nanatsu @ 9., must watch the anime.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Dec 1, 2014 6:57 AM

Nov 2013
Happy to see some Black Bullet and Hidan No Aria in here. Though I doubt we will see them again in anime, at least the LN is doing great.
Dec 1, 2014 7:01 AM
Dec 2012
I'm seeing some people saying what they don't know, so I'm going to clear it up for them.
One Piece isn't losing popularity, when a volume comes out, it sales pratically around the same as it always did ( 2.5-3 million) but the sales are decreasing because the people stopped catching up to it after the boom of Marineford, but the sales per volume are the same, and it increased since Marineford, which the best volume sold was around 2.59 million.
Now, I've seen some people say that SNK would beat OP if it wasn't a monthly series, how can you say that? SNK wouldn't be as well drawn and well planned out if it was a weekly series, Oda can do it in a week, but Isayama can't that's why he needs more time to bring the good quality, if it didn't have the same quality, it wouldn't be selling as much.
Dec 1, 2014 7:08 AM

Jun 2014
Behemoth11 said:
Agafin said:

And each volume of those three OP tankōbons have sold nearly one Mio. more than SnK-as we can see in the rankings. So why is SnK so close to OP in this fiscal year? Where does the residual number of sales come from?

It's a combination of anime boost for SNK and decline in sales for One Piece.
Dec 1, 2014 7:16 AM

Dec 2013
Z4k said:
Behemoth11 said:

Remember one piece is 15year manga right?I loved snk manga,
but i cant compare a 3 year manga to a 15year one piece!Their ages are different unlike their sales!
TyrelDec 1, 2014 8:22 PM
Dec 1, 2014 7:25 AM
Dec 2012
SNK realeased 3 volumes and OP too, I think the difference is that Isayama put out 2 spinoff series ( I think it's 2) with 2 volumes each, one of the spinoffs is about Levi's past.
Dec 1, 2014 7:30 AM

Sep 2013
The feminists and the decline in popularity of Bara contributed to toriko's fall.
ichii_1Dec 1, 2014 6:39 PM
Dec 1, 2014 7:38 AM

Dec 2011
MAGiC_DREAMBOX said:

Abh_jet said:
What's with LN sells? I thought mahouka didnt get much boost from anime??

It likely got a solid boost per novel each week but not enough to consistently rank each week. It all adds up though.

Indeed. Last week (which is also the first week that doesn't count towards these yearly rankings) was the first time since our first data from the weekly series rankings (back in early August) in which Mahouka did not rank in the top 10 best selling series. Given the level of the sales it was seeing, and the fact that the biggest boosts tend to come in the first few weeks in which an anime airs, it was probably in there every week since the anime started back in April - that's 7.5 months continuously if it did. And the anime seems to have boosted the sales of new volumes by about 50-60% or so on pre-anime volumes.

Bear in mind that its year's sales went up by 50% on last year despite the fact that only two volumes came out this year, compared to five that came out last year. That's one heck of an anime boost.
Dec 1, 2014 7:42 AM

Jun 2014
Marocas said:
SNK realeased 3 volumes and OP too, I think the difference is that Isayama put out 2 spinoff series ( I think it's 2) with 2 volumes each, one of the spinoffs is about Levi's past.

Spinoffs don't count. If they did, SNK would've been first.
Dec 1, 2014 7:44 AM

Apr 2014
Civille said:
Z4k said:

Remember one piece is 15year manga right?I loved snk manga,
but i cant compare a 3 year manga to a 15year one piece!Their ages are different unlike their sales!

What does one piece being a 15 year old manga have to do with the sales? lol so what?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

14 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Today, 1:21 AM

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Apr 26

10 by Deoxyribo9 »»
Yesterday, 6:55 AM

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 7

20 by Zedlin »»
May 10, 4:23 PM

» Light Novel 'Izure Saikyou no Renkinjutsushi?' Gets TV Anime in Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - May 9

5 by Zedlin »»
May 10, 4:21 PM

» 'Dungeon no Naka no Hito' Announces Additional Cast, Staff

DatRandomDude - May 9

2 by Zedlin »»
May 10, 4:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.