Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 22, 2014 5:43 PM

Nov 2014
We all have opinions and beliefs. Don't you realize that freedom of speech means freedom to offend people? Would you defend someone's right to free speech even if you don't agree with them? Do you support free speech or limited speech?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 22, 2014 5:45 PM

Mar 2008
Ignorant people shouldn't be allowed free speech in regards to public speaking or press.
Nov 22, 2014 5:46 PM
Sep 2014
traed said:
Ignorant people shouldn't be allowed free speech in regards to public speaking or press.
Nov 22, 2014 5:48 PM

Jan 2009
freedom comes with responsibility as they say
Nov 22, 2014 5:49 PM

Jan 2011
Others have the freedom to tell you, you're a moron.
Nov 22, 2014 5:50 PM

Nov 2014
How does one define ignorance? Ignorant people usually think of themselves as the enlightened ones, possessing the right to determine whether the other person is ignorant or not.
Nov 22, 2014 5:50 PM

Nov 2013
It's just as ignorant to deny someone's will of free speech merely because you don't agree with their opinion. So yes, I will defend someone's right to speak freely.
BurenaiNov 22, 2014 5:53 PM
Nov 22, 2014 5:52 PM

Mar 2013
No matter how smart you think you are, there are areas you are still ignorant of. This whole "ignorant people shouldn't be allowed free speech" thing is kinda ridiculous.
Nov 22, 2014 5:53 PM

Jan 2013
Everyone should have the Freedom to say and do as they wish.

Other should have the freedom to do what they want in return however.
Nov 22, 2014 5:53 PM

Nov 2014
html said:
No matter how smart you think you are, there are areas you are still ignorant of. This whole ignorant people shouldn't be allowed free speech thing is kinda ridiculous.
Exactly. Therefore, others shouldn't automatically shut down opinions they disagree with, and perhaps, I dunno, learn to see things from their perspective?
Nov 22, 2014 5:54 PM

Mar 2010
I practice my freedom of speech all the time to sharpen my skillz. And yes you can simply ignore something and not take it personally.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 22, 2014 5:55 PM

Oct 2012
Freedom of speech limits the government's right to deny someone of expression, it does not limit private parties to deny expression of other private parties (supposing no other law is broken, of course). Freedom of speech does not mean every opinion should be respected, but that the police should not arrest you for saying something.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 22, 2014 5:55 PM

Aug 2014
If you are ignorant are you willing to admit your mistake and apologise to the offended party and learn from your mistake?
Nov 22, 2014 5:56 PM
Sep 2014
Roarshaq said:
LucasRTS said:
Trolling profile for sure, he just created this account to do this

Well yeah. But he does have a point.
Maybe, well i will just ignore him then
Nov 22, 2014 5:59 PM

Mar 2008
Mirage-sama said:
How does one define ignorance? Ignorant people usually think of themselves as the enlightened ones, possessing the right to determine whether the other person is ignorant or not.
Ignorance means not knowing. Everyone is ignorant about something. What I mean is a person should not make public speaking about things they dont really know anything about because it causes issues. Or if they do public speak it should be well informed to everyone that they have little knowledge of the subject they speak of.
Nov 22, 2014 6:00 PM

Nov 2014
Drakehawk said:
If you are ignorant are you willing to admit your mistake and apologise to the offended party and learn from your mistake?
Why do you assume that just because someone doesn't agree with your opinions that they're an ignorant person? I will not apologize to the "offended" party unless my opinions change.
Nov 22, 2014 6:03 PM

Nov 2014
traed said:
Mirage-sama said:
Ignorance means not knowing. Everyone is ignorant about something. What I mean is a person should not make public speaking about things they dont really know anything about because it causes issues. Or if they do public speak it should be well informed to everyone that they have little knowledge of the subject they speak of.

If I haven't studied political science in college, does that mean that I don't have the right to go on TV and express my views? Or if I'm a biologist, does that mean that I'm not free to write an opinion piece just because my field of concentration is different than the one I'm writing about?
Nov 22, 2014 6:03 PM

Aug 2014
Mirage-sama said:
Why do you assume that just because someone doesn't agree with your opinions that they're an ignorant person? I will not apologize to the "offended" party unless my opinions change.

No I mean that someone that is more knowledgeable in the subject then you are you willing to accept his answer and admit you are wrong.
Nov 22, 2014 6:06 PM

Nov 2014
Drakehawk said:
Mirage-sama said:

No I mean that someone that is more knowledgeable in the subject then you are you willing to accept his answer and admit you are wrong.
I will not blindly accept an expert's answer and admit that I'm wrong unless I see that he is indeed in the right. Just because you're more knowledgeable in the subject in question doesn't mean that I should automatically have to kowtow to your authority.
Nov 22, 2014 6:07 PM

Apr 2014
I'm all for free speech, but if you know you're opinion is going to get backlash, I don't see the point in speaking it in the first place.
Nov 22, 2014 6:09 PM

Jul 2007
katsucats said:
Freedom of speech limits the government's right to deny someone of expression, it does not limit private parties to deny expression of other private parties (supposing no other law is broken, of course). Freedom of speech does not mean every opinion should be respected, but that the police should not arrest you for saying something.

This.

If we're speaking on terms of the internet, our freedom of speech rights aren't guaranteed on any privately owned site. I think that's for the best. Some people don't know where to draw the line and words can affect some people deeply, even to the point where they'd hurt themselves. Especially on the internet when people are more likely to say harsh and rude things than they would in person.
Nov 22, 2014 6:09 PM

Nov 2014
Protaku94 said:
I'm all for free speech, but if you know you're opinion is going to get backlash, I don't see the point in speaking it in the first place.
If that's what you think, then perhaps activists in the early 20th century should've kept their mouth shut because of the "backlash" they will receive from white people. Don't be afraid of speaking out if you know that you're fighting for freedom and justice.
Nov 22, 2014 6:10 PM

Mar 2008
Mirage-sama said:

If I haven't studied political science in college, does that mean that I don't have the right to go on TV and express my views? Or if I'm a biologist, does that mean that I'm not free to write an opinion piece just because my field of concentration is different than the one I'm writing about?
It really depends on the subject. I dont believe a degree makes someone smarter necessarily than someone who studies or experiences other ways. A person can express their views but I was more so referencing hate speech and propaganda type things to be silenced. An opinion piece is fine if it is clearly labelled as such. My whole point is just to help prevent a misinformed public not to silence them entirely. So free speech is there but its regulated.
Nov 22, 2014 6:12 PM

Apr 2014
Mirage-sama said:
Protaku94 said:
If that's what you think, then perhaps activists in the early 20th century should've kept their mouth shut because of the "backlash" they will receive from white people. Don't be afraid of speaking out if you know that you're fighting for freedom and justice.
Them speaking for equality and justice and the overall betterment of mankind is much different than your preaching for the extermination of obese people, holocaust style.
Nov 22, 2014 6:12 PM

Jan 2014
Certain forms of speech should be suppressed in the interests of public order.

i.e. seditious speech, shouting "fire" in a crowded theater, etc.

So, for example, I am all for rooting out these certain imams spreading their radical islamofascism and having them shot.

In general though, anyone should be able to express their opinion, no matter how pedantic or inane.
Nov 22, 2014 6:14 PM

Nov 2014
traed said:
Mirage-sama said:

It really depends on the subject. I dont believe a degree makes someone smarter necessarily than someone who studies or experiences other ways. A person can express their views but I was more so referencing hate speech and propaganda type things to be silenced. An opinion piece is fine if it is clearly labelled as such. My whole point is just to help prevent a misinformed public not to silence them entirely. So free speech is there but its regulated.

Hate speech and propaganda -- how do you know that they are such? Aren't you just calling it that because it doesn't agree with what you know to be true?
Nov 22, 2014 6:14 PM
Nov 2008
free speech and hate speech are different things
Nov 22, 2014 6:16 PM

Nov 2014
Protaku94 said:
Mirage-sama said:
Them speaking for equality and justice and the overall betterment of mankind is much different than your preaching for the extermination of obese people, holocaust style.

But both opinions received backlash throughout history. You should've been more specific in your first post. Tsk-tsk.
Nov 22, 2014 6:17 PM

Nov 2014
dity said:

It's only freedom of speech if you don't offend someone. People should be free to offend other people.
Nov 22, 2014 6:18 PM
Nov 2008
Mirage-sama said:
dity said:

It's only freedom of speech if you don't offend someone. People should be free to offend other people.
if your intent is to offend take a guess at what kind of speech it is
Nov 22, 2014 6:19 PM

Nov 2014
dity said:
Mirage-sama said:

Expressing your opinion doesn't necessarily come with the intent of offending others. What I mean is that if others become offended by something you said (and you had no intent of offending them), then yes, they should be free to "offend" other people.
Nov 22, 2014 6:20 PM
Sep 2014
Man, you just can't just offend people this way, even if is Freedom of Speech, it's morally wrong
Nov 22, 2014 6:20 PM

Mar 2008
Mirage-sama said:

Hate speech and propaganda -- how do you know that they are such? Aren't you just calling it that because it doesn't agree with what you know to be true?
Nothing I said suggests it has anything to do with opinions. It applies equally to all opinions based on lack of knowledge. It could be something I agree with or do not.
Nov 22, 2014 6:22 PM

Nov 2014
LucasRTS said:
Man, you just can't just offend people this way, even if is Freedom of Speech, it's morally wrong

lol
Nov 22, 2014 6:24 PM
Nov 2008
Mirage-sama said:
dity said:

Expressing your opinion doesn't necessarily come with the intent of offending others. What I mean is that if others become offended by something you said (and you had no intent of offending them), then yes, they should be free to "offend" other people.
intent is what matters. i think you're just bad with your words.
Nov 22, 2014 6:24 PM
Sep 2014
^
Nov 22, 2014 6:25 PM
Oct 2014
When you see the social media or read the opinion-pages in the news paper. My inner Kim makes me think if it really was a good idea.

Nov 22, 2014 6:26 PM

Sep 2013
The first amendment is still intact?
Nov 22, 2014 6:27 PM
Sep 2014
The first thread got deleted
Nov 22, 2014 6:30 PM

Apr 2014
Mirage-sama said:
Protaku94 said:

But both opinions received backlash throughout history. You should've been more specific in your first post. Tsk-tsk.
It should be common sense. I shouldn't have to explain the innate details like you're a kid, unless you are one.

And I think you're one of, if not the only person who's ever openly said we should exterminate everyone who's overweight. You can't compare that to people asking for civil rights and suffrage.
Nov 22, 2014 6:35 PM

Apr 2013
Freedom has been used the wrong way all this time
Nov 22, 2014 6:39 PM

Aug 2014
Mirage-sama said:
I will not blindly accept an expert's answer and admit that I'm wrong unless I see that he is indeed in the right. Just because you're more knowledgeable in the subject in question doesn't mean that I should automatically have to kowtow to your authority.

But how does one know whether a expert is right or wrong from someone who is less knowledgeable in the subject do you ask another expert to see if it fit your "right" answer but then it contradict what you say "Just because you're more knowledgeable in the subject in question doesn't mean that I should automatically have to kowtow to your authority."?
Nov 22, 2014 6:49 PM

Jan 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
Everyone should have the Freedom to say and do as they wish.

Other should have the freedom to do what they want in return however.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 22, 2014 7:25 PM

Apr 2012
dity said:
[intent is what matters.
uwot.

And you'll know someone's intent because you read minds?
You should take it from both sides.
One is being offended by the free speech of someone else, is that person wrong though? Yes? Then you could claim he's right to be offended. No? Then he's a retard and should re-check his almighty priorities.

Also, really? How does one that is less knowledgeable refuse an expert? If he's using his authority as an argument, I'd say you can tell him to fuck off exactly that instant, that's not how you make an argument.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Nov 22, 2014 7:26 PM

Sep 2012
Mirage-sama said:
We all have opinions and beliefs. Don't you realize that freedom of speech means freedom to offend people? Would you defend someone's right to free speech even if you don't agree with them? Do you support free speech or limited speech?
Do you realize that freedom of speech means freedom to be offended and voice it?
Nov 22, 2014 7:27 PM

Sep 2014
Mirage-sama said:
Would you defend someone's right to free speech even if you don't agree with them?
Yep
Nov 22, 2014 8:05 PM

Apr 2014
Everyone, stupid or intelligent, should have the freedom to say what they want. If you get offended by what someone says, get over it. Case dismissed.
Nov 24, 2014 8:17 PM

May 2014
isn't there something called the harm principle that restricts poeple's actions if it means a way to prevent harm to another individual? it should be the same for freedom of speech. although we say it's freedom, there are its limits. in the same manner how many countries say they offer freedom yet there are laws to restrict individuals to prevent harm to another.
Nov 24, 2014 8:18 PM

Aug 2014
Freedom is so freaking controversial, people get the wrong notion and abuse the term.
Nov 24, 2014 8:23 PM

Jul 2013
Wasn't there an actual case where a judge ruled freedom of speech is a privilege not a right?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

41 by Merve2Love »»
1 minute ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

27 by Rhaelynne »»
31 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

42 by cyandaqil »»
1 hour ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

69 by neol3 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

63 by cyandaqil »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.