Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 8, 2014 12:15 AM

Jun 2013
HE DID IT! HE LEFT THE (childhood)[b] FRIEND ZONE! CONGRATS![/b]
I love this movie! This is what I wanted KyotoAni to do in the main series but all this build up between the two was just so perfect to watch that I'm pretty sure I was blushing from the tension too! I really want to see more love stories like these where there is a clear answer and the build-up between the two childhood friends isn't forced or artificial. Thank you Kyoto Animation! :)

Total amount of times I had to pause this because due to short heart attacks: ≈ 20

God why can't I have a story like this ;_ ;
Akio-kunFeb 14, 2015 11:56 PM
Nov 8, 2014 7:10 AM

Feb 2012
Cute movie. Better than the series! I'm happy Tamako finally realized/understood her true feelings towards Ooji.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Nov 8, 2014 7:28 AM

Jul 2010
tsubasalover said:
That short first part with Dera-chan and those two is Minami no Shima no Dera-chan, (...)

Thank you for confirming that. I thought so!

tsubasalover said:
(...) even though the three of them also appear in the second half of the movie for a bit.

What? I'm almost sure I didn't get to see them for the whole film... :O Can you tell me what scene is that? I mean, what are the minutes when they appear or even some lke to that scene...
Nov 9, 2014 7:07 PM
May 2013
Wildcat17 said:
tsubasalover said:
That short first part with Dera-chan and those two is Minami no Shima no Dera-chan, (...)

Thank you for confirming that. I thought so!

tsubasalover said:
(...) even though the three of them also appear in the second half of the movie for a bit.

What? I'm almost sure I didn't get to see them for the whole film... :O Can you tell me what scene is that? I mean, what are the minutes when they appear or even some lke to that scene...

At 76 minutes, 55 seconds.
Nov 10, 2014 4:14 PM

Jul 2009
nuoh my god that was adorable
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Nov 11, 2014 2:16 AM

Nov 2012
BUT DID MOCHIZOU FAIL HIS ENTRANCE EXAM???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm sorry that just really bugged me. Cute movie nonetheless.
Nov 13, 2014 4:14 AM
Jan 2012
SleepyBear said:
BUT DID MOCHIZOU FAIL HIS ENTRANCE EXAM???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm sorry that just really bugged me. Cute movie nonetheless.

Um... where did you get the idea that Mochizou was going for entrance exam? I suppose from the shxxty sub which is only about 65% accurate ? The sub of TLS I've seen somehow skillfully manages to get most crucial points horribly mis-translated (perhaps because the pirates of the People's Republic of China [mainland] (mis-)translates hastily from the Japanese version, then another pirate of Hong Kong (former colony of UK) translates it from Chinese to English; in another words double translation as pirate business without a heart).

I hope KyoAni releases its official overseas version at an affordable price.
GohanwaOkazuNov 13, 2014 4:20 AM
Nov 13, 2014 7:59 AM
Apr 2014
GohanwaOkazu said:

Um... where did you get the idea that Mochizou was going for entrance exam? I suppose from the shxxty sub which is only about 65% accurate ? The sub of TLS I've seen somehow skillfully manages to get most crucial points horribly mis-translated (perhaps because the pirates of the People's Republic of China [mainland] (mis-)translates hastily from the Japanese version, then another pirate of Hong Kong (former colony of UK) translates it from Chinese to English; in another words double translation as pirate business without a heart).

I hope KyoAni releases its official overseas version at an affordable price.

Then why was he going to Tokyo?
Nov 14, 2014 1:09 AM
Aug 2011
Dammit KyoAni! This movie was supposed be nothing to me but you actually found a way.

It actually turned out to be super adorable.
There is a lot more growth to these characters in this film than in the entire series.

Oh, and the build me a house line was golden.
Nov 14, 2014 8:55 AM

Jul 2013
Based KyoAni
Nov 15, 2014 4:13 AM
Jan 2012
thelumpur said:
 Then why was he going to Tokyo?

Before people choose their university, they would normally go and see whether they like the general atmosphere, whether they find actual students and profs and curriculum likable. They check whether they can imagine a satisfying campus life when they actually enter the university.

University exams in Japan typically take places around January and February. Tamako Love Story takes place shortly after beginning of spring, judging by the green colors of trees.

Which isn't important to watch and enjoy the film, but in any case...
GohanwaOkazuNov 15, 2014 4:18 AM
Nov 17, 2014 10:26 AM
Apr 2014
Oh, I see, it makes a lot more sense now, thanks!
Nov 18, 2014 4:21 AM
Apr 2011
Good work KyoAni. I Liked That Film, cute RomCom
The End was too sudden. I Hope for a After Story OVA

For me the Best Girl and BFF for Tamako was Shiori Asagiri. So Smart Girl, knows exactly what to say. Too bad she had so little Screen Time

She Tells Tamako about First Times, and that Tamako likes Mochizou, that's why she is so confused.
Nov 19, 2014 3:09 PM

Aug 2012
Pretty damn good. Superb payoff after all of Mochizou's suffering in the series, and the build up and execution was top notch. Very well put together film.
Nov 20, 2014 2:08 PM

Aug 2013
Wonderful art, smooth and fluid animation without ugly 3DCGI! Kyoto Animation o/
Seriously it looks awesome, I like characters design too (even if they looks the same like in K-on).
Tamako is cute. Sweet story, 8/10.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 22, 2014 6:50 AM

Jul 2011
Excellent movie! It was a long time since I watched that kind of romance, light and innocent, told in a way so spontaneous and genuine. All the elements are perfect mixed. There is the exact dose of comedy, slice of life and romance. The art is phenomenal as well as the sound work and the direction is fantastic. Of course nothing is perfect and I found some negative points as the final too short and some scenes a little repetitive but that does not go to significantly affect my final vote.

Actually it deserves 8/10 but I will give a 9/10 for to the enjoyment.
Nov 22, 2014 9:20 AM
Jan 2012
There is really something magical about this movie. KyoAni's animation work is constantly very good (as TV series, Hyouka and Futoshi Nishiya as chief animator was probably the best ever), and Reiko Yoshida's script excels at depicting slice of life character's emotions without wasting lines (as in Non-Non Biyori, Girls und Panzer, Shirobako).

But I think the direction was what makes it stands out. As a KyoAni fan watching since Haruhi, I'm usually impressed by Naoko Yamada's cinematographic direction based on her storyboard work. Memorable scenes like the beginning of K-On!! Second TV Series, last live at the classrooom and the rooftop scene in K-On! Movie; the climax of Hyouka Episode 14; beauty of the lantern scene of Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5; the overall execution of Free ES Episode 12 (in Australia); the ED animation of K-On!, Chunibyo, and Tamako Market ED "Neguse".

It's impressive when you think of the motif of the moon going around, Tamako's hair unbound and looking intimate, and Mochizou's filming of Tamako were already prepared at the stage of Tamako Market's ending.

Also to praise is her sense of music and ability to skillfully use it.

By the way, there is a sad rumor that chief animator of Tamako Love Story, Yukiko Horiguchi, has left KyoAni, or perhaps animation altogether, perhaps to pursue her personal life, and that we won't be seeing more of her one-and-the-only moe but elegant girls' designs (Lucky Star, K-On!, Cocoro Connect [as Shiromizakana], based on the fact that she hasn't been found listed for any recent KyoAni's projects. Which is sad if true, but without her the emotions of characters in Tamako LS wouldn't have been shown beautifully by focusing on the flickers of eyes and grasp of hands.
GohanwaOkazuNov 22, 2014 9:26 AM
Nov 22, 2014 9:26 AM

Mar 2008
It was cute, but I expected more to be honest.
Nov 22, 2014 9:13 PM

Nov 2010
This movie was something I eagerly looked forward to, since the broadcast has ended
It was incredibily sweet and romantic which made me die many times
There wasn't a thing unlikeable about it

Midori, Shiori and Kanna have been a great support of Tamako
Just like the two guys from the filmclub backing Ooji Mochizou
From stepping stones to mochi slump I'm afraid there won't be anymore of Tamako with this closure
Nov 23, 2014 8:12 AM
Jan 2012
My most favorite scene:

<At the Kamo River Delta's stepping stones. Dusk>.

Tamako: Say, ... Mochi is so small, but makes all kinds of people happy.
... I grew up to become many times larger than mochi, but I'm still no match for it. It's soft ...

(Insert: memory of Tamako's deceased mother Hinako shared by both Tamako and Mochizo;
Hinako encourages Mochizo to come and get together with Tamako [who looks slightly displeased])

Tamako: ... And white, tender, has a nice scent ... warm
... I wonder how I can be that kind of person.
[Asking to Mochizo] ... Do you think I can ?

Mochizo knows exactly what's in Tamako's mind when she refers to being warm, white, tender, and warm, as he's seen Tamako's sufferings and efforts after her mother's death.

We learn that Tamako's nearly "perverted" obsession with mochi actually comes from her adoration of her lost mother, Hinako. Tamako has taken the place of mother in the family business ever since Hinako died. Tamako acts in many ways like mother towards her sister Anko. Tamako is extremely confused upon hearing Mochizo's confession, but ultimately is cleared of distress when she hears Hinako's reply song on auto-reverse tape. After all, even her mother was very confused upon hearing love confession, but eventually responded in a very true-to-life way and with an ordinary high-school girl's innocence. Upon realizing that, Tamako becomes more mature.

The movie is about Tamako's love story, but it's also about maturing and growing up, which makes it really stand out.
GohanwaOkazuNov 23, 2014 8:44 AM
Nov 23, 2014 1:11 PM

Jul 2010
That was an amazing movie. Tamako's thought about life is changing little by little and now, she's considered as matured young girl. I loved the way its showing ''changing by love'' and ''accepted all the changes''. That's what being mature that movie said.
OST are great. I'm just listening Koi no Uta five times. This kind of musics remind me Amelia(the movie). Catching love, being loved ...
Everybody loves somebody, right? :)
Nov 23, 2014 3:44 PM

May 2011
This is what I hoped the anime was. Dera seemed out of place. Tamako actually had character development for once instead of mochi all day errday. Almost.

As always, needed more Anko but I'm happy with how it ended.

5 is average, so 7/10.
Nov 24, 2014 9:24 AM

Mar 2014
The movie is great just like the series but too bad their humor is kinda bit drop maybe because Dera is the only character that I find it funniest

Ending is also mediocre, I mean from the beginning and the middle is interesting to see the development of Mochizuki and Tamako however at the end of the movie I was expecting something less dramatic and more epic/grander finale

Overall the movie is 9/10
Nov 25, 2014 12:05 PM
Apr 2014
By the way this is how you deal with mochi stuck in your throat, grandpa.

Nov 26, 2014 2:35 AM

May 2012
Wow. I really wasn't expecting much from Tamako Love Story with how meh I found Tamako Market.

I would've preferred an extended ending that may have came after the credits, but I did really enjoy this overall.

8/10 for me

Nov 27, 2014 12:27 PM

Jun 2012
That was surprisingly very good. There was actually some fucking romance. And that ending was beautifully done. I actually caught some feels along the way. Kyoani are truly the gods of anime.
Nov 27, 2014 9:54 PM

Nov 2007
And I started to think we may as well give up on sweet romantic stories in anime. Here, while watching the movie, I was left hoping for it to never end! It was that wonderfully done!

Not just the romance, but the growing up, the courage to overcome fear, to move forward, the lessons in life even if it tastes bitter like coffee without milk or sugar, everything from start to finish has left me wanting for more.

Tamako and Mochizou's love story has just started!

A 10/10!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 29, 2014 6:47 AM

Feb 2014
I didn't get it.... University..? be a Carpenter..? be a Photographer..? Go to an overseas university..?

I know that this is what they wanna be in the future, but this future is NOW..?! I wanna mean, the entrance exam to an university is what they gonna do next..?

How old are they..?!

I think that they were 15-16 years old.. and therefore they would be entering in the HIGH SCHOOL, and not in a UNIVERSITY....
TechOtakuNov 29, 2014 6:55 AM
Nov 29, 2014 12:12 PM
Jan 2012
Viteracf said:
 I know that this is what they wanna be in the future, but this future is NOW..?! I wanna mean, the entrance exam to an university is what they gonna do next..?

How old are they..?!

I think that they were 15-16 years old.. and therefore they would be entering in the HIGH SCHOOL, and not in a UNIVERSITY.... 

People in the world seem to differ by the age of entering university, as well as maturing.

In Japan, age 17-18 would be the normal age of the 3rd Year of high school (school year begins in April and terminates in March). They become university students at around 18. 20 is the age when Japanese people are seen as becoming an adult; only after that they become fully responsible according to laws and obtain rights to vote, drive, drink, or smoke.

Traditions as well as general longevity of life in a relatively peaceful and prosperous society may be the reason why they are different from some people's understanding of high school/university life. Also, you have to differentiate KyoAni fiction from real life; real Japanese teen girls and boys aren't as innocent as Tamako and Mochizou ! KyoAni is known for slice of life realism but they are also known to avoid any hint of sex beyond the borderline, up to the point that they (almost) never draw girl's panties (save Mio's!) or couples kissing !

But it's also true that the majority of Japanese teens aren't totally exposed to free sex or drugs either.

In the TV series Tamako Market, the characters were about 16-17 in the 2nd Year of high school; in Tamako Love Story, they've become 17-18. According to the TV series, Tamako's birthday is 31st December and Mochizou's 10th October [Day of Mochi, for some reason], and the Movie takes place somewhere around late Spring, so they are most probably 17.

Notice a slight change in Tamako ? She still has trademark tousled hair (Neguse, which became the title of TV ending song), but apparently learns to correct her eyebrows. Both Mochizou and Tamako were redesigned by the Character designer so that they'd be looking one year older than the TV series.

(My guesstimate is that by showing Tamako without pigtails, with hair smoothed down, and looking more intimate in the room or on grass towards Mochizou filming her in the TV and Movie ending, ... they are implying that she had something more than a kiss with Mochizou, but that sounds too dirty and obscene to write down).

Anko has also visibly grown taller; she called Tamako "Tama-chan" (like friends) and avoided calling Tamako "big sis" in the TV series, but seems to have grown over it in the Movie.
GohanwaOkazuNov 29, 2014 12:49 PM
Nov 29, 2014 12:25 PM

Feb 2014
I really liked this movie. I didn't expect it to be that much better than the series.
It fullfilled its purpose. Well done
Nov 29, 2014 2:39 PM

Jul 2009
And it was over in the best part! I WANT MOOOOOOREEEEEE!!! Argh!!!
I just adore Mochizou, he is so sweet. I am happy Midori decided to help Tamako to find out her true feelings, since for me, it seems that she was a bit possessive over Tamako, so she was in great help.
It was so cute to see Tamako going all confused and without knowing what to do, it was a great movie, but I repeat, it was over in the best part, I can't help but want more, they are so cute together, I wish we could see some moments of them as a couple. 8/10
Dec 1, 2014 5:15 AM

Aug 2014
I really really like it especially mochizou >_<
HEY TAMAKO YOUR SO LUCKY!!! having mochizou confess to you,God if i were you when the time mochizou confess to you I already say,,I LOVE YOU TOO!!

OMG!!I like the scene when mochizou confess on the river and tamako fall in the water because of SHOCKING REVELATION*_*,,
finally tamako say I LOVE YOU TOO to mochizou on the last minute,
I like the OP song ^_^
Dec 9, 2014 2:12 AM

Sep 2011
Wonderfully adorable.
Dec 15, 2014 7:52 AM

Feb 2014
GohanwaOkazu said:
Viteracf said:

How old are they..?!

People in the world seem to differ by the age of entering university, as well as maturing.

In Japan, age 17-18 would be the normal age of the 3rd Year of high school (school year begins in April and terminates in March). They become university students at around 18. 20 is the age when Japanese people are seen as becoming an adult; only after that they become fully responsible according to laws and obtain rights to vote, drive, drink, or smoke.

Traditions as well as general longevity of life in a relatively peaceful and prosperous society may be the reason why they are different from some people's understanding of high school/university life. Also, you have to differentiate KyoAni fiction from real life; real Japanese teen girls and boys aren't as innocent as Tamako and Mochizou ! KyoAni is known for slice of life realism but they are also known to avoid any hint of sex beyond the borderline, up to the point that they (almost) never draw girl's panties (save Mio's!) or couples kissing !

But it's also true that the majority of Japanese teens aren't totally exposed to free sex or drugs either.

In the TV series Tamako Market, the characters were about 16-17 in the 2nd Year of high school; in Tamako Love Story, they've become 17-18. According to the TV series, Tamako's birthday is 31st December and Mochizou's 10th October [Day of Mochi, for some reason], and the Movie takes place somewhere around late Spring, so they are most probably 17.

Notice a slight change in Tamako ? She still has trademark tousled hair (Neguse, which became the title of TV ending song), but apparently learns to correct her eyebrows. Both Mochizou and Tamako were redesigned by the Character designer so that they'd be looking one year older than the TV series.

(My guesstimate is that by showing Tamako without pigtails, with hair smoothed down, and looking more intimate in the room or on grass towards Mochizou filming her in the TV and Movie ending, ... they are implying that she had something more than a kiss with Mochizou, but that sounds too dirty and obscene to write down).

Anko has also visibly grown taller; she called Tamako "Tama-chan" (like friends) and avoided calling Tamako "big sis" in the TV series, but seems to have grown over it in the Movie.

Oh.. Thanks.. I read everything...
I think I misunderstood their age, then.

"they are implying that she had something more than a kiss with Mochizou, but that sounds too dirty and obscene to write down" - Hm... you really think so..? I have my doubts if they're implying something more than a kiss... I think it wasn't to be seen like this... I think it's just something to be seen in a "normal" way (without second intentions - more than a kiss), I think....
TechOtakuDec 15, 2014 7:55 AM
Dec 18, 2014 4:20 AM

Jun 2012
This reminded me of the tv series, such a feel-good animation despite not being that special. I think it's such an enjoyable movie (like the series), and am really happy they finally had something for Tamako & Mochizou, since it wasn't to be during the anime series.
Also kind of saddening that it ended like that, because most people (including me) were expecting a little more to wrap it up.

Haha, I really love the comedy.
It was especially funny at around 53:18 when it seemed like the VA for the teacher had to fit his lines in before the scene changed, and it sounded like he was racing to say his lines xD I also like how Tamako's father is, such a nostalgic stereotype of a father, haha. All the characters were so joyous and uplifting, the quality of their friends and neighbors.

Very enjoyable, glad I watched this :)
Yasu-kunDec 18, 2014 3:20 PM

Dec 18, 2014 4:21 AM

Jun 2012
GohanwaOkazu said:
I bet some people have missed the best parts of the film, or the whole plot.

When Tamako lost her mother suddenly, it was Mochizo as well as Midori who were beside her. While Mochizo grew to care for Tamako as a boy, Midori developed difficult indescribable emotions towards Tamako (which I would not want anyone to call as lesbianism), as well as sort of rivalry and comradeship with Mochizo over who cares the most for Tamako, their best friend.

Tamako had been helping her family's business after her mother died, and always related the warm, white, and nicely scenting mochi with memories of her deceased mother (for whom she still buys a flower for prayers every day). In her subconsciousness, the problems of maturing and motherhood was growing on her.

Mochizo was initially almost giving up on confession. But knowing Tamako's past sufferings and after hearing Tamako's memories of and helpless admiration towards her deceased mother, he couldn't help but confess his love out of true compassion.
While Tamako is initially very confused, she slowly becomes conscious about maturing and love even by seeing her neighbors. Tamako eventually recognizes how important Mochizo had been after her mother's death.

Midori is seemingly the most mature of girls but is actually the one who needs to grow up the most. She is frustrated by her complicated feelings towards Tamako and probably also about her undetermined future (the others have more or less clear visions about what to do after graduation). She breaks the old strangled bond and sets free Tamako (and Mochizo) by encouraging their love partnership as boyfriend and girlfriend, with her little assisting trick.

Who informed Midori about Mochizo's short trip (and not his definite farewell) to Tokyo is not shown in the film; it's left as a mystery. I suspect it was Tamako's little sister Anko who really liked Mochizo and Tamako, who knew about their difficult feelings, and who heard and knew what Tamako was planning. I assume it was Anko worrying about the two and seeing Mochizo go off to Tokyo that morning, she informed Midori.

Midori after seeing Tamako off running towards her love is broken-hearted as well as feeling satisfied with what she had done. She is not alone, as Kanna her best friend had always known Midori's emotions (see the TV series) and comes to her rescue, telling that Midori looks beautiful after having done what had to be done (that is maturing by letting Tamako go free; poetically shown by the pictures of dandelion flying off). Kanna in turn asks Midori to lend a hand in her growing up; that is her overcoming of fear of heights in order to become a carpenter.

Thus, this isn't a simple story of a boy meets girl, but it's about acknowledging love of the family, friends, and good peoples of the neighborhood. It's about overcoming of burdens and maturing. Kiss or no kiss, is unimportant, as we know that Tamako's and Mochizo's story will go on, and the future is implied in the film (the ED of the series and film) which we now know that Mochizo took featuring more confident and intimate looking Tamako. The two shadows side by side colliding in the ED tells their relationship well enough.

The phrase used for promotion of the film was "Tamako peeled off" and "About maturing", btw.

How to mature and find true love is a difficult issue, but there are hints given in this film. If we are careful, we should recognize the reference to the gravity pull, the Sun and the Moon, the apple, and Isaac Newton, who when asked about how he found the law of universal graviations replied that "By always thinking unto them".

This is a well thought-out and very clever film with a good script and superb direction. If you didn't get it, watch again.

Thanks for this, it makes it a lot clearer and allows me to appreciate what was done with this animation. I hadn't realized beforehand most of what you said, it means a lot now that I do.

Dec 18, 2014 9:57 AM
Jan 2012
Saburo-kun said:
I hadn't realized beforehand most of what you said, it means a lot now that I do.

Thanks to you. While the film is not "difficult" at all, it has certain depth in it. The direction is really good so people can watch it over again, and perhaps also refer to the Tamako Market episodes even, and find something new. The storyboard book that came with the original production DVD/BluRay package sold in Japan really shows Yamada's talents. I wish I could show parts of it here.

It's a pity that the subtitle (at least the one I saw) is terrible with misleading errors and doesn't catch the important nuances. It was probably done by someone who didn't understand or care about the movie.
Dec 22, 2014 2:43 PM

Dec 2012
Meh... it was very bland. First part with Dera was the best!

Mido x Tama all the way!

I guess this was a just a little too shallow for me.

7/10
Dec 23, 2014 3:02 AM
Jan 2012
Bland films don't get awarded at Japan Media Arts Festival; they won't receive praises from various directors like Makoto Shinkai, Ryosuke Takahashi, and Hiroshi Nishikiori...
Dec 23, 2014 7:29 AM

Nov 2014
Ahhh, the movie was super cute~
The ending was a bit sudden, though.
Dec 28, 2014 5:00 PM

Dec 2011
So much hnng in this movie. I was so hyped when Mochizou finally confessed... and of course Tamako returning her answers to him. So innocent. ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2015 6:28 PM

Oct 2012
Tamako really is just so cute
Jan 3, 2015 7:03 PM

Mar 2014
Simply amazing, I'm at a loss for words, glad I picked up this series tonight, the payoff was amazing.
Jan 4, 2015 10:34 AM

Mar 2014
This was so sweet and relaxing just like the tv series. Really well done.

Loved the music too!
Jan 7, 2015 8:19 AM

Apr 2012
I never expected anything from this movie as I disliked the TV series, but man this movie is amazing. Well done KyoAni!!
Jan 10, 2015 4:58 PM

Apr 2013
Amazing 10/10.

Jan 10, 2015 7:53 PM

Aug 2012
I'm not really confident that Tamako 'loves' Mochizou. She might have said that only to stop him. She has seen him as her childhood friend and she wants him around, but not that 'way'. Also, I'm kinda inclined to think that she's not into love stuff, I mean, maybe she's not grown up inside and still doesn't see the world from the way adult people see, which she implied in a scene saying the world has changed all of a sudden as she grew up, that's why she got so shocked.

But she's uber-cute nonetheless. :)
AlturiablueSep 27, 2018 5:18 PM
Jan 11, 2015 7:50 PM
Jan 2012
Vellamo said:
I'm not really confident that Tamako 'loves' Mochizou. She might have said that only to stop him. She has seen him as her childhood friend and she wants him around, but not that 'way'. Also, I'm kinda inclined to think that she's not into love stuff, I mean, maybe she's not grown up inside and still doesn't see the world from the way adult people see, which she implied in a scene saying the world changed all of a sudden as she grew up, that's why she got so shocked.

Your views are interesting and thought provoking.

Something might be lost in translation by the poorly done pirate sub, though. It's not Tamako's wish to "stop" Mochizou from going to Tokyo for university that made her yell out for him in the end. It was her wish to confess love, to let Mochizou know directly her feelings before his departure, that made her run for him. As we know, in reality Midori laid out the trick for Tamako to face up to her emotions (and set Tamako free of Midori's bonds); Mochizou is not leaving for good that day but just going temporarily to check the campus to see how things are at the university.

You're partly right that maybe she's not grown up inside and still doesn't see the world from the way adult people see it. She must have felt like clueless "standing at the gate of the universe" (as Kanna said in the series, and as implied in the movie). We won't know just how deep Tamako becomes emotionally and physically attracted to Mochizo in the future, although we see her start to think about him all the time in the movie. She even surprisingly realizes herself looking at Mochizou subconsciously while the teacher is talking about his wife in classroom. The station scene is just the beginning of her love story, but we see from the expressions in Tamako's face in the film that was taken by Mochizou after the events how intimate they become after the events in the movie.

Tamako is a bit special girl as she lost her mother in childhood. Ever since that her wishes were to become like her mother and support the family in the mochi business. Tomako's extreme focus on mochi, copying of mother's actions in relation to little sister Anko, and her innocence or bluntness in love affairs and sexual symbols is partly explained by that (which is a contrast to how Anko has become). Thus she is shocked by Mochizou's confession, while she nonetheless seems to be pleased by it and admires his boldness in moving step ahead for the future.

Tamako doesn't know how to reply to Mochizou's confessions. After hearing Shiori's suggestion that "I am happy" might suffice (see the now inverted relation of Shiori and Tamako from the series Episode 3?), and particularly hearing mother's equally simple but honest reaction on tape, she becomes more confident and makes her decision.

However, Tamako is still not entirely proactive in how she decides to reply to Mochizou, taking advantage of the school's flu leave, for passively expecting Mochizou to turn up. Anko is not convinced by Tamako's actions when she overhears the telephone conversation and is asked what happens if the information isn't passed over (if people think Anko is just a little sister and not aware of what is happening between Tamako and Mochizou, you need to see the series and the movie again!).

While it's not directly shown in the movie, Midori must have been informed by Anko that morning what Tamako has been up to. Feeling the necessity of a final push as a friend, Midori must have made that decisive move. And Kanna with a sharp intuition must have been watching over Midori without being intrusive all along (notice Kanna's own small lie in saying that she just came over to build shelves while noone's around, and Midori's chuckle given to that).
Jan 23, 2015 11:06 PM

May 2009
Just finished and it was amazing! Artwork was great and beautiful, the show is filled with moe :D

Didn't expect Tamako to confess her feelings back because of how kyoani is, but good thing they delivered.
Jan 24, 2015 10:25 AM

Mar 2014
GohanwaOkazu said:
Vellamo said:
I'm not really confident that Tamako 'loves' Mochizou. She might have said that only to stop him. She has seen him as her childhood friend and she wants him around, but not that 'way'. Also, I'm kinda inclined to think that she's not into love stuff, I mean, maybe she's not grown up inside and still doesn't see the world from the way adult people see, which she implied in a scene saying the world changed all of a sudden as she grew up, that's why she got so shocked.

Your views are interesting and thought provoking.

Something might be lost in translation by the poorly done pirate sub, though. It's not Tamako's wish to "stop" Mochizou from going to Tokyo for university that made her yell out for him in the end. It was her wish to confess love, to let Mochizou know directly her feelings before his departure, that made her run for him. As we know, in reality Midori laid out the trick for Tamako to face up to her emotions (and set Tamako free of Midori's bonds); Mochizou is not leaving for good that day but just going temporarily to check the campus to see how things are at the university.

You're partly right that maybe she's not grown up inside and still doesn't see the world from the way adult people see it. She must have felt like clueless "standing at the gate of the universe" (as Kanna said in the series, and as implied in the movie). We won't know just how deep Tamako becomes emotionally and physically attracted to Mochizo in the future, although we see her start to think about him all the time in the movie. She even surprisingly realizes herself looking at Mochizou subconsciously while the teacher is talking about his wife in classroom. The station scene is just the beginning of her love story, but we see from the expressions in Tamako's face in the film that was taken by Mochizou after the events how intimate they become after the events in the movie.

Tamako is a bit special girl as she lost her mother in childhood. Ever since that her wishes were to become like her mother and support the family in the mochi business. Tomako's extreme focus on mochi, copying of mother's actions in relation to little sister Anko, and her innocence or bluntness in love affairs and sexual symbols is partly explained by that (which is a contrast to how Anko has become). Thus she is shocked by Mochizou's confession, while she nonetheless seems to be pleased by it and admires his boldness in moving step ahead for the future.

Tamako doesn't know how to reply to Mochizou's confessions. After hearing Shiori's suggestion that "I am happy" might suffice (see the now inverted relation of Shiori and Tamako from the series Episode 3?), and particularly hearing mother's equally simple but honest reaction on tape, she becomes more confident and makes her decision.

However, Tamako is still not entirely proactive in how she decides to reply to Mochizou, taking advantage of the school's flu leave, for passively expecting Mochizou to turn up. Anko is not convinced by Tamako's actions when she overhears the telephone conversation and is asked what happens if the information isn't passed over (if people think Anko is just a little sister and not aware of what is happening between Tamako and Mochizou, you need to see the series and the movie again!).

While it's not directly shown in the movie, Midori must have been informed by Anko that morning what Tamako has been up to. Feeling the necessity of a final push as a friend, Midori must have made that decisive move. And Kanna with a sharp intuition must have been watching over Midori without being intrusive all along (notice Kanna's own small lie in saying that she just came over to build shelves while noone's around, and Midori's chuckle given to that).
Do you think Midori liked Mochizou too or was Midori just sad/confused about one of her closest friends moving on without her?
I could feel tension between Midori and Mochizou but didn't know what to think of it, honestly, glad it didn't turn out to be a love triangle, at least not an obvious one.
I do also think Tamako's feeling developed a bit too fast (almost to the point that it seemed like she was just going with the flow and that it just so happened to be Mochizou to confess, obviously them being close friends and all that helped her accept her feelings and I'm not saying any guy would have worked but that's kinda of the impression the movie gave which was probably the only thing I didn't think it got quite right), there should have maybe been some sort of development in the series but you can't have everything I guess.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Can i watch it without watching tamako market?

ogseyo - Dec 7, 2021

26 by ANormalUser »»
Apr 11, 6:35 PM

» New Project Announced

_MushiRock11_ - Jan 8, 2023

14 by Assassin2112 »»
Mar 23, 9:12 PM

» 2021! Tamako after story?

yesvirgi - Jan 14, 2021

7 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 30, 2022 6:09 AM

» tamako love story ending

briannaxlee - Jun 28, 2015

22 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 28, 2022 9:09 PM

» Can I watch this without watching the TV series?

bunny1ov3r - Nov 2, 2014

12 by Egoist_Animehead »»
Oct 4, 2020 1:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.