Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 7, 2014 8:59 PM

Jan 2014
I was re-watching some of Satoshi Kon's works and Chihayafuru, and was struck how magical seems they are. All of Satoshi Kon's works were animated by Madhouse and they featured some of the most brilliant animations I have ever seen. The dream sequence in Paprika is so realistic that it so anachronistic at the same time.

Now, I realize, with the exception of Studio Ghibli, all of my favorite works were done by Madhouse..

Let's see:

Paprika, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Tatami Galaxy, Death Note, Paranoia Agent, Wolf Children, Rainbow, The Girl Who Leap Through Time, Beck, Trigun, Aoi Bungako, CardCaptor Sakura, Dennou Coil

It seems that Madhouse consistent animation and high artistic aspirations give us some of the better anime in recent years. (OOT: Perhaps, if KyoAni could equal their high artistic aspirations with their impressive animation, they could create
an equal of MH masterpiece).

That is not to say that all MH works are good (Mahouka, comes to mind), but compared to Pierrot and Toei, MH is arguably more consistent and better in producing masterpieces.

What makes Madhouse so special?

From: http://www.animationcareerreview.com/articles/top-100-most-influential-animation-studios-all-time?page=0,9

Madhouse - Madhouse has carried the anime industry on its back for four decades as it created over 200 monumental movies and fully fleshed TV series. It’s not them standing on the shoulders of giants, it’s giants hanging from their colossal shoulders. I can and will list pivotal titles like Akagi, Battle Angel, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Beybalde, Cardcaptor Sakura, Claymore, Death Note, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Gungrave, Kaiji, Metropolis, Millennium Actress, Monster, Ninja Scroll, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue, Rideback, Summer Wars, Texhnolyze, Tokyo Godfathers, Trigun, and Vampire Hunter D, but I’m still omitting dozens of highly acclaimed classics that pushed the anime industry ahead in respect, acceptance, and global influence. If you were to divide the anime industry into ten tiers, the third tier would be filled with studios I’ve already highlighted, the second tier would be empty, and Madhouse would be alone at the top. Fun fact: If you’re reading this list thinking who in the world watches anime and reads manga, well besides millions of people across the globe, so does James Cameron. Also, Satoshi Kon’s Madhouse films have influenced a few of Darren Aronofsky’s films, and even Christopher Nolan’s Inception. Rest in peace, Satoshi.
peeyajOct 7, 2014 9:11 PM
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 7, 2014 9:02 PM

Jul 2014
Nothing. Other studios have their share of masterpieces as well.
Oct 7, 2014 9:03 PM

Dec 2013
Their Based/Sasuga Madhouse animation of course
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 7, 2014 9:04 PM

Jul 2013
Madhouse's large range of appeal generally stems from the fact that for better or worse they're not afraid to produce anything of any genre.
Oct 7, 2014 9:05 PM

Feb 2010
they also made these
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6875/Iron_Man
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6918/Wolverine
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6919/X-Men
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6920/Blade
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 7, 2014 9:06 PM

Jan 2009
most of what you said are movies though, even Toei animation studio has high production values when it comes to making movies

when it comes to animation i judge a studio base on their TV anime works, and i can say that Kyoto Animation and P.A. Works and Ufotable are consistent with high quality TV animation
Oct 7, 2014 9:07 PM

Jul 2012
Fantastic animation. Also, good at adapting the original material.
Oct 7, 2014 9:09 PM

Jan 2014
I forgot to add the masterpiece: Monster.
F0XFIRE said:

Oct 7, 2014 9:09 PM

Jan 2009
mayukachan said:

not really Chaos;Head adaptation of Madhouse was bad and Needless do have average animation quality
Oct 7, 2014 9:22 PM

Mar 2014
From the title I thought you were asking the readers what made Madhouse special, but ithe thread is just more Madhouse wank.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
VudisOct 9, 2014 8:49 AM
Oct 7, 2014 9:26 PM

Mar 2012
Because even their stupid fanservice anime have better quality than other studio's best works.

And they make the best animes ever; HxH namely.
End Zionazism
Oct 7, 2014 9:42 PM

Jul 2014
mayukachan said:

The Trigun adaptation definitely did not stay true to the manga.
Oct 7, 2014 9:43 PM

Oct 2012

I like how the president of Madhouse cares about the audience overseas
Oct 7, 2014 9:44 PM

Jun 2012
The brilliant ways in which they manage to make perfectly fine source material flop in sales as shoddy late night adaptations.

Sure, they make some pretty cute commercials, but until I see some rather lucrative sales figures I wouldn't exactly call them special.

Oct 7, 2014 9:47 PM

Jan 2014
jayss said:

I like how the president of Madhouse cares about the audience overseas

Nice vid. Make sme think that they are not some like money grubbing studio that starts with a T.

Little sad about satoshi Kon's Dreaming Machine though.
F0XFIRE said:

Oct 7, 2014 9:54 PM

Jan 2009
YorozuyaGinSan said:
The brilliant ways in which they manage to make perfectly fine source material flop in sales as shoddy late night adaptations.

Sure, they make some pretty cute commercials, but until I see some rather lucrative sales figures I wouldn't exactly call them special.

that too, madhouse almost got bankcrupt because of this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masao_Maruyama_(film_producer) and now that guy has made MAPPA and are not doing good commercially too, and madhouse is now owned by another company - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=284403 the sales of their anime are not that ground breaking, i yet to see 50,000 average disc sales for madhouse made anime series
Oct 7, 2014 9:58 PM

Jul 2008
I'm also a fan of Madhouse and Satoshi Kon (RIP). To the list you posted at the top I would also add Kaiji and Akagi.

However, I don't believe there is any secret formula here. As you noted, they still have their share of duds, like any studio does. They simply tend to produce more mature, interesting works, on average, and pander to the otaku/moe crowd less. It's that simple.
Oct 7, 2014 10:02 PM

Jan 2009
YoungVagabond said:
They simply tend to produce more mature, interesting works, on average, and pander to the otaku/moe crowd less. It's that simple.

i agree to that and that maybe also the reason why their disc sales or their profit is low
Oct 7, 2014 10:07 PM

Aug 2013
Great animation usually, and they choose fantastic source material.
Oct 7, 2014 10:35 PM

Jul 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:

we know you don't pay any mind to cartoons anyway boo
Oct 7, 2014 10:42 PM

Apr 2014
They're good no doubt, but I hate how many of their TV animations go unfinished with a much needed second season.
Oct 7, 2014 10:45 PM

Feb 2010
Protaku94 said:
They're good no doubt, but I hate how many of their TV animations go unfinished with a much needed second season.
most anime in general end up like that well atlest the ones iv seen
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 7, 2014 10:49 PM

Apr 2014
hazerddex said:
Protaku94 said:
I still can't forgive them for not giving Btooom a second season. Thats the biggest victim here.
Oct 7, 2014 10:49 PM

Jul 2012
j0x said:
mayukachan said:

not really Chaos;Head adaptation of Madhouse was bad and Needless do have average animation quality

I'm referring to the better ones, of course. Chihayafuru, Hunter x Hunter, Diamond no Ace, Hajime no Ippo, One Outs...
Oct 7, 2014 11:39 PM

Mar 2012
Good in adapting manga but destroying light novel adaptations one at a time.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Oct 7, 2014 11:42 PM

Feb 2010
Protaku94 said:
hazerddex said:
I still can't forgive them for not giving Btooom a second season. Thats the biggest victim here.

idk i can name some other big victims spice and wolf, pandora hearts, Medaka Box dear god talk about an awkward place to leave off.

Oct 8, 2014 12:58 AM

Jul 2008
j0x said:
YoungVagabond said:
They simply tend to produce more mature, interesting works, on average, and pander to the otaku/moe crowd less. It's that simple.

i agree to that and that maybe also the reason why their disc sales or their profit is low

That's very possible!
Oct 8, 2014 1:45 AM

Nov 2012
I don't know about all this other shit, I just want Claymore rebooted with NGNL's budget. Make it happen Madhouse. You can be the next SnK.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Oct 8, 2014 1:50 AM

Jan 2009
They had a boss (Maruyama) who has a high opinion of anime in the sense that it can be an artistic and an entertainment medium at the same time.
Things like Kaiba and Redline would have never been produced by anyone else but Madhouse.

Now Murayama quitted Madhouse and founded MAPPA and we are already seeing the effect of this : MAPPA is making some of the most original productions this year (Bahamut, Garo, ZnTerror), while Madhouse is doing Hanayamata and NGNL.
OkiuraOct 8, 2014 1:58 AM
Oct 8, 2014 1:50 AM

Jul 2008
MiniSiets said:
I don't know about all this other shit, I just want Claymore rebooted with NGNL's budget. Make it happen Madhouse. You can be the next SnK.

As depressing as it is for me to type it out...I actually think Claymore (up to where I have read in the manga) is a little too intricate and smart of a shounen to attain blockbuster appeal nowadays.
Oct 8, 2014 1:55 AM

Dec 2012
Nothing.

I don't particular care for them.

j0x said:
YoungVagabond said:

Yes, and using this logic Toei is poor as shit, because it doesn't pander to ''otakus'' as well.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
VudisOct 9, 2014 8:59 AM
Oct 8, 2014 2:00 AM

Jan 2013
Yuasa

Satoshi Kon
CabronOct 8, 2014 2:10 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 8, 2014 2:01 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
every studio is special in their own ways <3
Oct 8, 2014 2:02 AM
Jul 2013
Very consistent studio with a great track record. Nana, Monster, Hellsing Ultimate, and their film works come to mind for what's good, while NGNL and some crap ass OVAs are what come to mind for bad.
Oct 8, 2014 2:07 AM

Jan 2009
tsudecimo said:
j0x said:

Yes, and using this logic Toei is poor as shit, because it doesn't pander to ''otakus'' as well.

i know that Toei is one of the richest anime studio around, they mostly profit from merchandise and TV ratings anyway, i just take that logic as to why Madhouse almost went bankrupt because they rely on disc sales solely because their anime mostly air on late night time slot
Oct 8, 2014 2:08 AM

Jul 2008
tsudecimo said:
j0x said:

Even ignoring all their massively successful non-anime shows and movies and their many iconic shounen series like Dragonball, we're talking about the same studio that produced Sailor Moon, Air, and Clannad, all of which pander to otaku in a big way, and the latter two which fall squarely in the moe genre.

Compare that to Madhouse, which doesn't have any similar series. (In fact, I'm struggling to think of any show they produced that featured supposedly 18 year-old girls with the bodies of 8 year-olds, giant saucer eyes, and no nose)
YoungVagabondOct 8, 2014 2:12 AM
Oct 8, 2014 2:13 AM

Oct 2008
Well they are responsible for some of the best recent anime titles ever imho :Kaiji,Monster,Nana,Texhnolyze,HunterXHunter... ,but lets be honest a lot of that merit goes to the source material and the people involved.They very rarely do anything different with the manga series they adapt.
Or in the case of Kaiba/Kemonozume/Tatami Galaxy almost all the credit goes exclusively to the director/writer Masaaki Yuasa.

More recently they have been responsible for a lot of complete trash titles,but the same can be said about very anime studio out there.
amateurOct 8, 2014 2:20 AM
Oct 8, 2014 2:31 AM

Dec 2012
YoungVagabond said:
tsudecimo said:

Even ignoring all their massively successful non-anime shows and movies and their many iconic shounen series like Dragonball, we're talking about the same studio that produced Sailor Moon, Air, and Clannad, all of which pander to otaku in a big way, and the latter two which fall squarely in the moe genre.

Compare that to Madhouse, which doesn't have any similar series. (In fact, I'm struggling to think of any show they produced that featured supposedly 18 year-old girls with the bodies of 8 year-olds, giant saucer eyes, and no nose)

Lol, the wank is real.

No Game No Life. Highschool of the dead, Chaos;head, Ichigo 100%, Needless, PhotoKano, etc.

All fall in that made up category of ''pandering''.

I'm also not sure, how Sailor Moon is pandered to Otaku, when it's the equivalent of Dragonball for Shoujo.
Oct 8, 2014 2:34 AM

Jan 2009
amateur said:
Or in the case of Kaiba/Kemonozume/Tatami Galaxy almost all the credit goes exclusively to the director/writer Masaaki Yuasa.

Making anime needs money and manpower. The credits go also to Madhouse's producers for giving him the freedom to do what he wants and financing it.
Oct 8, 2014 2:39 AM

Oct 2008
Okiura said:
amateur said:

Making anime needs money and manpower. The credits go also to Madhouse's producers for giving him the freedom to do what he wants and financing it.

I know that very well,just pointing out that "credit should be made where credit is due".
Oct 8, 2014 2:52 AM

Jan 2009
amateur said:
Okiura said:

I know that very well,just pointing out that "credit should be made where credit is due".

Which is different from almost all the credit going exclusively to Yuasa.
Oct 8, 2014 2:52 AM

Jan 2009
tsudecimo said:
YoungVagabond said:

Lol, the wank is real.

No Game No Life. Highschool of the dead, Chaos;head, Ichigo 100%, Needless, PhotoKano, etc.

All fall in that made up category of ''pandering''.

I'm also not sure, how Sailor Moon is pandered to Otaku, when it's the equivalent of Dragonball for Shoujo.

yes madhouse has done some otaku oriented shows but thats for them to keep going, only high school of the dead and no game no life has decent sales and they did not even cross the 10K average disc sales or anime hit list line

so they still almost went bankrupt because they did not do more shows like that, but that might change in the future with this new ownership of madhouse
Oct 8, 2014 2:59 AM

Jul 2008
tsudecimo said:
YoungVagabond said:

Lol, the wank is real.

You like wanking it to 8 year-old girls? I would keep that shit off the Internet if I were you.

Anywho, you do have a point. Madhouse has been guilty of some pandering to otaku/moe themselves, which I was unaware of. Fair enough. I guess they just do it relatively less than other studios.

tsudecimo said:

It was a show rife with fan service, including teen girls in skimpy outfits becoming naked during transformation sequences. Very popular among older males in Japan when it aired.
Oct 8, 2014 3:48 AM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:

lol
Oct 8, 2014 5:36 AM

Apr 2014
They just have a pretty high production standard.
Oct 8, 2014 7:48 AM

Jun 2014
Milk_is_Special said:

Yeah this. They actually care about the quality of their work. Sure, all studios objective is for their anime to be profitable but some are so greedy that they care about nothing other than that. You would expect the richest studio (Toei) to have great animation but nope, Madhouse which has nowhere near its budget is much better in that department even when comparing the same types of shows ( long running battle anime.

Also, Madhouse seems to be more willing to take risks by producing late time slots anime hence giving their chance to smaller manga to get adapted. With other studios, it seems like they prefer to milk the same prime time slot series again and again.

Finally, Madhouse made HxH 2011 and Death note which I find amazingly good adaptations of already great manga.
AgafinOct 8, 2014 9:03 AM
Oct 8, 2014 8:07 AM

Jul 2013
I don't find Madhouse studio to that *Great*, For example lets take Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, It was rushed
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2014 8:42 AM

Jun 2013
Agafin said:
Milk_is_Special said:

Yeah this. They actually care about the quality of theirt work. Sure, all studios objective is for their anime to be profitable but some are so greedy that they care about nothing other than that. You would expect the richest studio (Toei) to have great animation but nope, Madhouse which has nowhere near its budget is much better in that department even when comparing the same types of shows ( long running battle anime.

Also, Madhouse seems to be more willing to take risks by producing late time slots anime hence giving their chance to smaller manga to get adapted. With other studios, it seems like they prefer to milk the same prime time slot series again and again.

Finally, Madhouse made HxH 2011 and Death note which I find amazingly good adaptations of already great manga.

Agreed with all you said. Whenever I see something made by MadHouse I get eyegasm. It is amazing, astonishing. OST they choose is also the best. Only thing that can lack whenever they take on some work for adaptation would be the story part. Even though they chose some interesting works, sometimes story falls behind animation and OST quality (Take Mahouka for example- I enjoyed it but it bothered me that MC was Garry Stu, while everyone else was incompetent as much as Tatsuya was opposite). Also, one of their "could be" flaws is that they make animations and never continue them so they can boost selling of source material (NGNL is only example I know off, but some say there are others). But still, I was never disappointed whenever I chose their anime to watch. It has always been above average in the least.

Only recently did I discover that most of anime I really love is made by them- Death Note, HxH 2011, Hajime no Ippo...
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Oct 8, 2014 8:48 AM

May 2013
Renaultclio101 said:
I don't find Madhouse studio to that *Great*, For example lets take Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, It was rushed

I have no problem with them rushing crap.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 28 minutes ago

7 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 5 hours ago

5 by SgtBateMan »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 19

79 by ProGoddess »»
8 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

34 by APolygons2 »»
10 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

36 by Lhundrup »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.