Forum Settings
Forums

How has getting older as an anime fan affected you?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 17, 2015 10:37 PM

May 2014
I stopped flipping out about shock value
Dec 17, 2015 10:48 PM

Nov 2015
Appreciate friends who enjoyed watching anime back in the day
Whole online community and con scene ugh just makes me sick now.
Dec 17, 2015 11:20 PM

Oct 2013
I enjoyed so much SHIT back then. Like literally SHIT.
Titles like Fairy Tail, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach etc., basically generic shonens, were godlike for me. I thought were would never be anything more entertaining and awesome than them. Yeah. That's how wrong I was .... My ratings on those anime are basically a combination of the rating at the time I finished and the rating I would give atm, so for example fairy tail, back then 8, now 3, so overall 6.

Now I'm pretty mad at some friends who rate these tarded anime high and then drop some really insane anime like mushishi, jojo, texhnolyze, space brothers etc... Like I know they are at that phase where I was at one point, but still, it makes me REALLY mad that they somehow find gay ass lame shonens more enjoyable than real anime...

So I would say that the more anime you see the more refined your taste is, because you have more anime to compare everything with, therefore your rating, opinion, despite what everyone says, is way more valid than someone who's only watched naruto and fairy tail.
Dec 17, 2015 11:35 PM

Jul 2015
Main thing with me is I have always been alot more into long running anime because I like to get attached to the charries and honestly 12-13 episodes just isn't enough for 95% of anime but i've found recently I'm almost solely watching shorter anime. Not really by choice but because of the fact that it just seems almost all anime are made to be short like that unless there one of the giants. So unless you REALLY wanna limit your options then your almost forced to watch short anime.

Also prolly common with most but have always hated fan service. I get it in certain anime but have always just thought it was unnecessary threw people off held up story and wasted time. I couldn't stand it and completely avoided it but now I find myself able to stand it a bit more as I go not that I don't still dislike it. But just sorta get used to it and accept that it's a part of it.
Dec 17, 2015 11:38 PM

Apr 2013
I don't think my taste or opinion of shows changed much as I get older. I discover new genres for me though like Slice of Life.
Dec 17, 2015 11:41 PM

Jan 2013
I can't stand generic battle shounen anymore.
Dec 18, 2015 1:08 AM

Jun 2008
when I started, I thought to myself...I'm not gonna be one of those disgusting perverts fapping to cartoons...

and yet 10 years later after my first anime...

Dec 18, 2015 1:18 AM

Oct 2014
When I started watching anime I mostly watched harems because I wanted to watch anime that other thought were good but didn't feel like watching very long anime (harems tend to be one cour). I later got into moe anime and now I'm starting to watch some magical girl anime and battle shounen. I started a bit over a year ago and although technically I have become an adult in that time it wasn't maturity that changed my tastes.
Dec 18, 2015 1:27 AM

Sep 2015
I find it hard at times to relate to characters that are 14 or 15 year olds; I'm 21 so there's already been a fair few years since I was that age. Not to mention that my younger brother is currently 14 and I find it really strange that he's the same age as a lot of anime characters. I just could not see him acting like that at all lol.

I mean, a lot of times problems arise between characters based on misunderstandings and whatnot. To me the solution to these problems is exceedngly simply, sio it can be hard for me to tell whether the problem has been exaggerated on purpose, or if 14 year olds are just genuinely that stupid.

I do enjoy slice of life shows a lot more than I used to, too.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Dec 18, 2015 1:31 AM

Mar 2010
ItsMaz said:
This is doubly funny since Oriegu Zoku is one of your favorite anime and it released this year.
Dec 18, 2015 1:32 AM

Sep 2015
TonyTheme said:
ItsMaz said:
This is doubly funny since Oriegu Zoku is one of your favorite anime and it released this year.

It's precisely WHY I enjoyed Oreigairu as much as I did - it was far more mature and relateable than the majority of other highschool shows.
Dec 18, 2015 1:37 AM

Mar 2010
ItsMaz said:
It's precisely WHY I enjoyed Oreigairu as much as I did - it was far more mature and relateable than the majority of other highschool shows.
My ass. The show's a crock of shit and is far from mature - insipid characters and scenarios along with little to no actual exploration of its ideas. The author writes as if his entire knowledge of human beings comes from anime.

All in all, Yahari is a terrible experience due to poor writing along with its banal characters and little explorations of its ideas or insight. It believes stating ideas in the form of monologues passes for characterization and getting at the heart of what it's trying to say. It's less interested in telling a resonating story and aspires to masquerade platitudes as the truths within the human heart with unbelievably unauthentic characters and scenarios.
TonyThemeDec 18, 2015 1:40 AM
Dec 18, 2015 1:41 AM

Sep 2015
TonyTheme said:
ItsMaz said:
My ass. The show's a crock of shit and is far from mature - insipid characters and scenarios along with little to no actual exploration of its ideas. The author writes as if his entire knowledge of human beings comes from anime.

All in all, Yahari is a terrible experience due to poor writing along with its banal characters and little explorations of its ideas or insight. It believes stating ideas in the form of monologues passes for characterization and getting at the heart of what it's trying to say. It's less interested in telling a resonating story and aspires to masquerade platitudes as the truths within the human heart with unbelievably unauthentic characters and scenarios.

Whatever you say, mate.
Dec 18, 2015 1:42 AM

Jun 2011
I became open for more genres I guess. Never thought I'd enjoy SoL titles or a few Mecha when I started.
I'm feeling thank you
Dec 18, 2015 1:45 AM

Mar 2010
Vague talk of genuinity. "I'm like that lonely fish with no place to call home, dude." How mature and relatable. Jesus, Watari really gets it.
Dec 18, 2015 1:47 AM

Oct 2013
I don't think my taste has change. I do think my taste in liking different genre has broaden. I use to like only action series when l was younger.
Dec 18, 2015 1:50 AM

Jun 2008
ItsMaz said:
I find it hard at times to relate to characters that are 14 or 15 year olds; I&#039;m 21 so there&#039;s already been a fair few years since I was that age. Not to mention that my younger brother is currently 14 and I find it really strange that he&#039;s the same age as a lot of anime characters. I just could not see him acting like that at all lol.<br />
<br />
I mean, a lot of times problems arise between characters based on misunderstandings and whatnot. To me the solution to these problems is exceedngly simply, sio it can be hard for me to tell whether the problem has been exaggerated on purpose, or if 14 year olds are just genuinely that stupid.<br />
<br />

The ages are literally meaningless.

Shinobu from Monogatari is 500 years old.
Dec 18, 2015 1:55 AM

Sep 2015
JustALEX said:
ItsMaz said:
I find it hard at times to relate to characters that are 14 or 15 year olds; I&#039;m 21 so there&#039;s already been a fair few years since I was that age. Not to mention that my younger brother is currently 14 and I find it really strange that he&#039;s the same age as a lot of anime characters. I just could not see him acting like that at all lol.<br />
<br />
I mean, a lot of times problems arise between characters based on misunderstandings and whatnot. To me the solution to these problems is exceedngly simply, sio it can be hard for me to tell whether the problem has been exaggerated on purpose, or if 14 year olds are just genuinely that stupid.<br />
<br />

The ages are literally meaningless.

Not really, but okay lol. You're entitled to your opinion.
Dec 18, 2015 2:20 AM

Feb 2010
My tastes in anime has changed quite a bit over the years. I used to prefer watching dubs when I was younger, but I think somewhere in my mid or late teen years, I decided to switch over to subs. Nowadays, I almost never watch dubs. I also used to really like reverse harem, but then I came to realize that they were pretty much the same as "regular" harem (Well, minus those stupid "misunderstandings-and-then-getting-beaten-up-for-it" moments), so now I hate it. lol
AL19Dec 18, 2015 2:26 AM
Dec 18, 2015 2:34 AM

Jun 2008
ItsMaz said:
JustALEX said:
<br />
The ages are literally meaningless.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Not really, but okay lol. You're entitled to your opinion.

The ages are given by the creators...the characters themselves can literally look from very young to much older and mature but the age is completely arbitrary.

Konata from lucky star is 18....here's how she looks:

Meanwhile Asuka from NGE is 14....here's how she looks:

^Clearly it doesn't match...
Dec 18, 2015 2:51 AM

Aug 2014
EarWax said:
Like I know they are at that phase where I was at one point, but still, it makes me REALLY mad that they somehow find gay ass lame shonens more enjoyable than real anime...

Real anime? What's that supposed to mean? Battle shonens (One Piece, Naruto, JoJo), Tex, Mushishi... They're all just anime.

Two and a half years later and I still find One Piece to be among the most enjoyable experiences in animanga. Long ass shonens are as fine as anything else.

OT: Welp, I'm willing to try out more things now so getting older has affected me for the better, I guess.
Dec 18, 2015 2:53 AM

Sep 2015
JustALEX said:

The ages are given by the creators...the characters themselves can literally look from very young to much older and mature but the age is completely arbitrary.

You're mising the point I was making completely lol.
Dec 18, 2015 3:59 AM

Oct 2013
Poltergeist18 said:
EarWax said:
Like I know they are at that phase where I was at one point, but still, it makes me REALLY mad that they somehow find gay ass lame shonens more enjoyable than real anime...

Real anime? What's that supposed to mean? Battle shonens (One Piece, Naruto, JoJo), Tex, Mushishi... They're all just anime.

Two and a half years later and I still find One Piece to be among the most enjoyable experiences in animanga. Long ass shonens are as fine as anything else.

OT: Welp, I'm willing to try out more things now so getting older has affected me for the better, I guess.

2.5 years, that's cute. I was watching naruto ~7 years ago and one piece ~4 years ago and I still think I'm pretty late considering they are aring since late 90s or early 2000s. But that was enough to develop hatred to all the generic battle shonens.
Dec 18, 2015 4:09 AM

Jul 2014
ItsMaz said:
JustALEX said:

You're mising the point I was making completely lol.
probably he means just because the author said they're 14y/o doesnt make them have a 14yo brain/attitude/appearance.
Dec 18, 2015 4:31 AM

Aug 2014
EarWax said:
2.5 years, that's cute. I was watching naruto ~7 years ago and one piece ~4 years ago and I still think I'm pretty late considering they are aring since late 90s or early 2000s. But that was enough to develop hatred to all the generic battle shonens.

If I didn't watch the original Dragon Ball when I was a kid, love it and even come back to it who knows how many times without getting tired of it before I even started watching and reading anime and manga actively (which was 2.5 years ago), I might have had a different opinion on shonens now if I tried them more recently. Since that isn't the case...

Oh well, sucks that you can't enjoy these long ass shonens anymore.
Dec 18, 2015 4:46 AM

Oct 2013
Poltergeist18 said:
EarWax said:

If I didn't watch the original Dragon Ball when I was a kid, love it and even come back to it who knows how many times without getting tired of it before I even started watching and reading anime and manga actively (which was 2.5 years ago), I might have had a different opinion on shonens now if I tried them more recently. Since that isn't the case...

Oh well, sucks that you can't enjoy these long ass shonens anymore.

Yeah, kinda sucks, but from the other side, now I really enjoy seinens, which is also good. And yeah, I myself rewatched Dragon Ball like ~6 times like ~10 years ago, it was awesome, I looped through it 4 times in a row, finished the last ep, went back to first and watched everything all over again non-stop and did that 4times :D Now I would probably rather stare at a wall.
Dec 18, 2015 4:54 AM

Aug 2014
@EarWax
Welp, at least you like JoJo and Toriko (unless 8's not too good of a score on your list lol).

Hope you find even more good seinen anime and manga than you already have.
Dec 18, 2015 4:55 AM

Dec 2015
I don't think it has changed me much, though it has only been two year since I've started really getting into anime.
Dec 18, 2015 5:18 AM

Nov 2014
Mycelis_Tsukiyo said:
I don´t seem to have the patience for long anime anymore.
Lancehot said:
As each year goes by, I look at the upcoming shows & feel more like David Wooderson. I keep getting older. The protagonists stay the same age. Yes they do.
Objective said:
I crave variety a lot more, I can't just watch 3-4 romance orientated shows any more without losing interest.
Kruszer said:
Started by basically watching action and sci-fi titles, now I watch pretty much any genre.

All this.

I have little patience for milking—stories that are drawn out longer than they need to be.

When I see school in the genre tags, it's an instant turn-off. However, if the story sounds interesting, and I like the director or studio involved, I'll give it a try.

I'm tired of the same ole characters doing the same ole shit. I'd like to see more characters of different ages (Seirei no Moribito), backgrounds (Space Brothers), and sexual orientations (Aoi Hana).

And I'm open to any genre, but I don't watch anime as frequently as I used to. I'm down to ~10 episodes a week now.
Dec 18, 2015 5:42 AM

Jun 2008
Gensan said:
Probably he means just because the author said they&#039;re 14y/o doesnt make them have a 14yo brain/attitude/appearance.
Yeah...that's exactly what I'm going for...

Ages in anime mean very little.
Dec 18, 2015 5:47 AM

Apr 2015
Yes, never watched prepubescent student trying to get pussy.
Dec 18, 2015 5:48 AM

Jan 2013
JustALEX said:
Gensan said:
Probably he means just because the author said they&#039;re 14y/o doesnt make them have a 14yo brain/attitude/appearance.
Yeah...that's exactly what I'm going for...

Ages in anime mean very little.

Ages in real life mean very little in the end too.
Dec 18, 2015 6:49 AM
Dec 2015
I've become more picky.

Can recognize when anime is headed towards typical tropes and cliches. Few actually hold my interest and an extremely select few actually effect me on an emotional level.
Dec 18, 2015 7:10 AM

May 2015
Well, when i was a kid i watched Yu gi oh, but couple of months ago, when i started to rewatch it i asked myself, what the f is this shit
Dec 19, 2015 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
I've become very critical when it comes to romance in anime. It has to be done maturely or I'll just straight up drop the show. No second chances.

I also enjoy slice-of-life a lot more than I used to.
Dec 19, 2015 3:48 PM

May 2013
It made me more open to stuff. I have come to like stuff that never thought I would. So I imagine that in a few more years I'll be able to enjoy other anime that I now find bad.
It's a bit sad when I stop liking something as much as I did. But I still have memories from when I liked said anime, so I manage.
Dec 19, 2015 8:58 PM

Dec 2012
Hmmm, I don't really watch ecchi harem's (or I avoid them completely), I don't have patience for Anime that beat around the bush when it comes to romance (yet I still complete them due to being a completionist), I avoid all the longer ones like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece... Don't get me wrong I thought they were amazing when I was younger, but I outgrew them.

And now having a job cuts into my Anime time substantially now. ;/
Dec 19, 2015 10:08 PM

Nov 2015
Not much I started watching the better anime when I was younger so my taste has only gone up, I cant say I watched too many of these shonen or these school setting stuff so it immediately turns me off as these characters are all so whiny and naive.
Dec 19, 2015 10:47 PM

Apr 2013
I thought ecchi was king of everything from like 5th-7th grade, now I understand it is utter trash almost always
Dec 19, 2015 11:12 PM

Jul 2009
Well..I've broadened my tastes in what kinds of series I'll watch. As a kid I only really liked magical girl stuff or shounen stuff (basically anything I grew up with that I was scared to stray from cause they were so familiar). Now I'm open to trying out a lot more.
Dec 20, 2015 1:15 AM

Jan 2015
Well I used to call myself an "otaku" and even a "weeaboo" a few times AND I was into bad anime when I was in my young teen years. Cringe worthy I know...

Now I'm just a fan that doesn't label himself and watches better anime.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 5 hours ago

18 by Gator »»
5 seconds ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

24 by NubFix »»
3 minutes ago

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

24 by animejas »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - Apr 26

12 by IKKIsama »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you track anime milestons?

zombie_pegasus - 9 hours ago

16 by Smugdear »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.