Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 26, 2014 9:12 AM
Sep 2013
7/10.
Sep 26, 2014 12:28 PM

Jul 2012
T3hSource said:
mayukachan said:
lol I don't if you've been reading any of the high rated reviews, but OST and "feels" aren't the only things that were praised in this show. There were plenty of other things it achieved that other shows couldn't do as well: atmosphere, mood, thrill, pace, suspense, directing, style, and these aren't even all of the things I can think of.
Again: FEELZ!

I was mocking more the last episode doing its damndest to make me emotional. And the things you mentioned also contribute to that "feel" of the show, which it admittedly does well. Now if it had the storyboard script to back it up.

Isn't feelz more relevant to the viewer's emotions? Like how people cry over Clannad and give it 10/10 just for that. Atmosphere does contribute to the feeling but "feelz" itself is a different factor. This show doesn't really give me any of that but it does the other factors well.
Sep 26, 2014 1:17 PM
Oct 2010
Nah it's definitely nozaki for me. No quality drops, consistently funny and good writing/characters.
Sep 26, 2014 3:11 PM

Jul 2014
I liked Tokyo Ghoul and Akame ga Kill more.
Sep 26, 2014 5:37 PM

Oct 2013
Lol no. It had great production values & potential but the weak characterization(besides Shibazaki's) and Lisa & Five being nothing more than plot devices (poor ones at that) really limited it. Overall, I just found it good -nothing more,nothing less- and gave it a 7/10. Zankyou no Terror isn't good enough objectively in order to be considered the best of summer but I don't think any were this season tbh. It is one of the best shows of the season though and WILL be many people's favorite.

SolviteSekai said:
No, its just the only grimdark anime that didnt get a mediocre adaptation.

Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus would like to have a word with you :P
Sep 26, 2014 5:41 PM
Feb 2014
am i the only one who thought 5 and lisa were good characters?

Yes, easily the best this summer, and maybe one of my favourites of all time. Never cried so hard at the end of an anime before.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2014 5:49 PM

Jul 2013
DiviMike said:

it's sad really. black butler book of circus was one of the best shows this season but not many people watched it on mal which makes it an underappreciated show on this site
Sep 26, 2014 6:17 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:

Flashoftheback said:
I considered Gekkan Shoujo is the best this season, don't be mad.

yo is that an alluka avatar?

Yes, it is.
Sep 26, 2014 6:34 PM

Mar 2014
My favorite this season is Barakamon but I think the best anime this season was Zankyou no Terror.
Zanos1Sep 26, 2014 6:39 PM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Sep 26, 2014 6:59 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
9/10 Biggest flaw: it's too damn short!
Sep 26, 2014 7:44 PM

Jul 2012
Flashoftheback said:
mayukachan said:

yo is that an alluka avatar?

Yes, it is.

You should have replied with "Ai."
I'm still not over HxH ending.... ;___;

BatoKusanagi said:
9/10 Biggest flaw: it's too damn short!

Yep.

orchidork said:
DiviMike said:

it's sad really. black butler book of circus was one of the best shows this season but not many people watched it on mal which makes it an underappreciated show on this site

Popularity: #807
That's pretty high
Sep 26, 2014 11:26 PM
May 2014
It set the bar too high for itself in episode 4. Overall it was pretty good, but not great. An anime driven by its amazing soundtrack, sadly the other factors weren't on-par.
Sep 27, 2014 12:33 AM

Jun 2012
Heck yeah, best anime I watched all day. It's even the best of all one summer series I've seen this year.

Sep 27, 2014 12:54 AM
Jul 2010
Zankyou no Terror and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun are the highlights of Summer 2014 anime, at least for me.
Sep 27, 2014 4:32 AM

Mar 2009
For me best is Hanamonogatari. Second is this.
But that's for me, people wright here about Barakamon, for me is nothing special.
3 setps to become Masochist:
1. Read source material
2. Watch anime adaptation
3. Suffer
Bonus Step: Tell everyone that anime is crap becouse Manga/Novel is better (duh..)

How to find the worst trash anime ever, so bad that people should be ashamed for even knowing this trash exist:
1. Check your favorite anime
2. Enjoy your shit taste pleb
Works everytime for everyone.
Sep 27, 2014 5:11 AM

Aug 2014
Currently it is, the only runner-up is Akame ga Kill for me, since it's the perfect contrast to Zankyou no Terror - one has an overabundance of comedy, the other of drama. However, both succeed almost flawlessly in their departments, so i'll see how AgK turns out.

For now, Terror in Resonance is the best. Hard not to be with that end...
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Sep 27, 2014 6:53 AM

Jun 2014
Qans said:
undercoverism said:
i loved it. technically there are some issues but i still enjoyed it from beginning to end. and not the best of the season, but my favorite of the non - slice of life/comedy series.

that's almost offensive coming from a guy that has naruto shippuden rated a 9/10.

Even if Shippuden isn't a 9 main reason would be because of fillers and shit. Either way it's a much better quality show than this.

That's your opinion. In my opinion Shippuden is shit and doesn't compare to this.

What is up with people complaining about no character development in a 11 episode anime? People don't just change that fast.
RamzeeSep 27, 2014 8:41 AM
Previously: BlueXRam
Sep 27, 2014 10:26 AM

Jul 2012
BlueXRam said:
What is up with people complaining about no character development in a 11 episode anime? People don't just change that fast.

Exactly. And for a one cour, it's best to sacrifice stuff like that and have a main focus (like how ZnT was mainly on thriller and suspense)
Sep 27, 2014 3:44 PM

Mar 2013
Character development is a buzzword used to make an argument sound intelligent, well thought out and well reasoned, as opposed to simply saying "it's shit" without giving any reason, a comment nobody will even read. Really... not having character development is not necessarily a bad thing.

Around here, it's almost as meaningless as the word "pretentious".
Sep 27, 2014 4:24 PM
Oct 2012
fst said:
Character development is a buzzword used to make an argument sound intelligent, well thought out and well reasoned, as opposed to simply saying "it's shit" without giving any reason, a comment nobody will even read. Really... not having character development is not necessarily a bad thing.

Exactly.
Sep 27, 2014 5:19 PM

Jun 2014
From the shows I've watched it's pretty easily been the best.

Akame Ga Kill doesn't know what it wants to be, Tokyo Ghoul is tropey and hardly something we've never seen before, Barakamon is fun but ultimately throwaway and Space Dandy is in a category of its own.
hnughj
Sep 27, 2014 5:42 PM
Jul 2014
the first half of the anime is a bore fest, the threats from the sphinx duo were empty (their goal wasn't to cause any harm) and nothing really happened. it wasn't until the train station episode that I felt any sense of danger for them and the innocents caught up in their crap.

number35Sep 27, 2014 5:50 PM
Sep 27, 2014 5:50 PM

Jun 2014
BlueXRam said:
Qans said:

Even if Shippuden isn't a 9 main reason would be because of fillers and shit. Either way it's a much better quality show than this.

That's your opinion. In my opinion Shippuden is shit and doesn't compare to this.

I'm not arguing about my opinion on Shippuuden, you were the one who brought it up which is completely irrelevant to this topic. They are completely different animes and should not be compared whether its good or bad. I like it you don't simple as that. The only thing going for this anime was the art and concept, besides that it was average. Five was a shitty antagonist and Lisa shouldn't have been a character at all. Shibazaki and 9 were decent, but i just fail to see how this can be 1 point away from a masterpiece to you. It wasn't horrible, but its a very forgettable anime. I'm not going to be looking back on this anime a couple months from now thinking fondly about it or wanting to rewatch it, nor would i strongly recommend this to anyone over other anime. It simply doesn't have that good of a redeeming quality in any area to do that. Anything over a 7 is just overrated, plain and simple
Sep 27, 2014 10:29 PM

Feb 2012
Qans said:
I'm not arguing about my opinion on Shippuuden, you were the one who brought it up which is completely irrelevant to this topic. They are completely different animes and should not be compared whether its good or bad. I like it you don't simple as that. The only thing going for this anime was the art and concept, besides that it was average. Five was a shitty antagonist and Lisa shouldn't have been a character at all. Shibazaki and 9 were decent, but i just fail to see how this can be 1 point away from a masterpiece to you. It wasn't horrible, but its a very forgettable anime. I'm not going to be looking back on this anime a couple months from now thinking fondly about it or wanting to rewatch it, nor would i strongly recommend this to anyone over other anime. It simply doesn't have that good of a redeeming quality in any area to do that. Anything over a 7 is just overrated, plain and simple

actually no, i was the one that bought it up. why? not to make the comparison, but to point how ironic your original point was (which you have since deleted lulz), being this:
Qans said:
Seriously? This show is a 9/10 for you? People like you are why MAL ratings are so inaccurately high

you may not understand how one would rate this show a 9, but i don't see how one would rate Naruto: Shippuuden over a 3 or 4 (i'm being generous). you're also contradicting your own mindset in the same post by claiming ZnT is overrated/calling out the opinions of others while also defending your own opinion with "I like it you don't simple as that."
Sep 27, 2014 10:36 PM

Dec 2013
It's AOTY for me
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 27, 2014 11:22 PM
Jun 2013
fst said:

When is not having, or having very little, character development not a bad thing? It's okay for some characters to be static or flat, but if the majority are - and in this show's case there are probably only two characters that are actually developed - then you have a discrepancy in the plot's progression. Whereby the story is moving, but the characters, whether emotionally or mentally, are not. Something that any critic would definitely point out as a negative.

Also, your post was ironic. Even if I agree with the last bit.
Sep 27, 2014 11:32 PM

Jun 2014
undercoverism said:
Qans said:

actually no, i was the one that bought it up. why? not to make the comparison, but to point how ironic your original point was (which you have since deleted lulz), being this:
Qans said:
Seriously? This show is a 9/10 for you? People like you are why MAL ratings are so inaccurately high

you may not understand how one would rate this show a 9, but i don't see how one would rate Naruto: Shippuuden over a 3 or 4 (i'm being generous). you're also contradicting your own mindset in the same post by claiming ZnT is overrated/calling out the opinions of others while also defending your own opinion with "I like it you don't simple as that."

I didnt delete anything one of the mods must have wtf. I had no reason to since ive been arguing that point all thread. But whatever you have a point, people have different opinions i guess. But at least my criticisms of this show were reasonable. with you theres no point arguing with as i can obviously see you're just trying to biasly bait me by saying its a 3 if you're being generous. You're obviously one of those people who hate shows because they're popular more than any other good reason.

EDIT: The guy who i quoted that gave the 9/10s post is gone too. Must be why my post was deleted
QansSep 27, 2014 11:52 PM
Sep 28, 2014 12:08 AM

Oct 2013
Yes..apart from haikyuu!! which was a spring left over so i would not count that as a summer season anime.. but well yeah most enjoyed was ZnT
Sep 28, 2014 12:21 AM

Jan 2013
TL:DR

This show has cowboy bebop guy's name on it and has "mature themes".

Instant AOTS for MAL.
Sep 28, 2014 12:39 AM

Feb 2012
Qans said:
You're obviously one of those people who hate shows because they're popular more than any other good reason.

i like a lot of popular shows. :-p
Sep 28, 2014 12:45 AM

Jan 2013
Rance-sama said:
SolviteSekai said:
No, its just the only grimdark anime that didnt get a mediocre adaptation.

It's an original anime tho.

yeah i was more just saying all the other grimdark summer anime ended up being mediocre adaptations.
Sep 28, 2014 1:10 AM

Dec 2012
SolviteSekai said:
Rance-sama said:

It's an original anime tho.

yeah i was more just saying all the other grimdark summer anime ended up being mediocre adaptations.
I got a good laugh out of that though since people couldn't circle jerk to why episode x didn't capture panel y 100% perfectly. I saw people shitting on HxH's last ep for using music in a "silent panel." Like what, manga is always silent how in the hell...

@ OP - I disagree due to reasons I just posted in episode 11's discussion. Production wise I'd agree though.
Sep 28, 2014 1:13 AM

Nov 2013
SolviteSekai said:
TL:DR

This show has cowboy bebop guy's name on it and has "mature themes".

Instant AOTS for MAL.

Well if you want to go generalize the entire community instead of actually reading what people have to say, be my guest
Anime gave me more life lessons than school
Sep 28, 2014 4:54 AM

Jun 2014
Qans said:
BlueXRam said:

You keep complaining about people rating it a 9/10, why? Some people like me felt like the captivating atmosphere more than made up for problems in the writing. The anime had some of the most beautiful scenes I have seen in an anime. I believe its a solid 8.5 which rounds to a 9. You have no right to call something overrated. I could just as easily get on you for giving Shippuden a 9 but I'm not, because ratings are subjective, simple as that. Not everyone feels the same way towards an anime as you do. Get over it.
RamzeeSep 28, 2014 4:58 AM
Sep 28, 2014 11:27 AM

Jun 2014
BlueXRam said:
Qans said:

You keep complaining about people rating it a 9/10, why? Some people like me felt like the captivating atmosphere more than made up for problems in the writing. The anime had some of the most beautiful scenes I have seen in an anime. I believe its a solid 8.5 which rounds to a 9. You have no right to call something overrated. I could just as easily get on you for giving Shippuden a 9 but I'm not, because ratings are subjective, simple as that. Not everyone feels the same way towards an anime as you do. Get over it.

I already clearly admitted before that people have their own opinions no need to continue the argument
Sep 28, 2014 11:45 AM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:
BlueXRam said:

Exactly. And for a one cour, it's best to sacrifice stuff like that and have a main focus (like how ZnT was mainly on thriller and suspense)
Ping Pong does it. Better than many shows with double the episode count to boot.

But yes, this is a plot driven thriller, Aria style transition development has no place here. What I wanted to see was a bit more meat on the characters. It's a shame that the worst one, five, dominated the screen time. Omitting her would have made room for so much more backstory + real thrills on par with the inspired ingenuity of the Oedipus riddles. Which fyi to the people calling Zankyou pretentious for that, is extremely accurate in its connection to Oedipus Rex and its significance to the story.
Sep 28, 2014 12:01 PM

Jun 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
mayukachan said:

Ping Pong does it. Better than many shows with double the episode count to boot.

But yes, this is a plot driven thriller, Aria style transition development has no place here. What I wanted to see was a bit more meat on the characters. It's a shame that the worst one, five, dominated the screen time. Omitting her would have made room for so much more backstory + real thrills on par with the inspired ingenuity of the Oedipus riddles. Which fyi to the people calling Zankyou pretentious for that, is extremely accurate in its connection to Oedipus Rex and its significance to the story.

This is my major gripe with the show that might end up bringing the score from 9 to an 8 at some point. Five literally served no purpose other than hinting at 12 and 9's death. Her motives were not explained. She was just.. there. However as typical as they may be I rather enjoyed Shizbaki, 9, 12, and Lisa's character. You could at least see some change to 9 at the end.
Sep 28, 2014 1:26 PM
Oct 2012
BlueXRam said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

This is my major gripe with the show that might end up bringing the score from 9 to an 8 at some point. Five literally served no purpose other than hinting at 12 and 9's death. Her motives were not explained. She was just.. there. However as typical as they may be I rather enjoyed Shizbaki, 9, 12, and Lisa's character. You could at least see some change to 9 at the end.

This show does an exquisite job making you guess but never outright explaining what it's purpose is. Mostly the characters since everything is subtle. five has a purpose but her actions and demeanor makes it hard to understand with such brash command when everything else has been tame. Then this dinosaur came in.
Sep 29, 2014 5:04 AM

Apr 2014
Nah, not as good as I expected it to be.
Oct 1, 2014 7:00 AM

Dec 2009
I haven't watched all the anime series of this Summer. But I'm sure Zankyou no Terror was the series with more potential. Too bad they wasted it.
Oct 1, 2014 7:52 AM

Mar 2013
Could have been.
[spoiler]
But the death of the villain (five) was so cliché.... Kinda ruined the show for me.
Oct 1, 2014 8:14 AM

Feb 2014
Yes. It was the perfect mix of dark, edgy, and deep symbelisem. 10/10 would cut myself to again.

(this was at best an extremely mediocre anime. stop overhyping it.)
Oct 1, 2014 9:14 AM

Sep 2014
My opinions have changed since I made this thread I watched barakamon and that has imo been the best show this summer but i still love this show just wish five was not in it ;/
Oct 2, 2014 11:48 AM

Jul 2009
Well it certainly is the one with the most interesting premise of the season but unfortunately, it suffered from poor execution in the 2nd half. I still enjoyed it to an extent though.
Oct 2, 2014 9:23 PM

Jul 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
mayukachan said:

Ping Pong was mainly focused on character growth, not really anything else.

But yes, it definitely could have done better with characters, yes. I think it should have been like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 where it had a focus on plot and characters so it wasn't just leaning on better plot over weak character development.
Oct 2, 2014 9:34 PM

Sep 2014
mayukachan said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

Ping Pong was mainly focused on character growth, not really anything else.

But yes, it definitely could have done better with characters, yes. I think it should have been like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 where it had a focus on plot and characters so it wasn't just leaning on better plot over weak character development.

I agree with you because when I look back at it there a lot of characters with little to no development but I was still entertained just because I enjoyed this tho doesn't mean I want point out it's flaws because it has several.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

380 by Yavicci »»
Apr 24, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

866 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:47 PM

» Boring

egosumjohn - Aug 30, 2023

22 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2014

448 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 5, 2014

422 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.