Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 15, 2014 6:07 PM

Aug 2013
Tears :(

Touma's here! I really wish this was 2-cour then it would have been fun to see
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 15, 2014 6:21 PM

Apr 2012
Gymkata said:
I guess I'm bewildered by all the uninhibited praise here.

I have to give it props for tackling family trauma and its effects on kids, but the depiction is coming off disappointingly weak/forced. I won't dispute his mother's death as the driving force for his continued despair and social reclusion, but the notion that he's still consumed by guilt for studying too much in middle school and being late for dinner is a bit much.

I think you completely missed the point here. He simply feels guilty for not spending more time with his mother. The little things that you take for granted come back and haunt you when a loved one dies.

Even though it is irrational because he had no control over his mom getting cancer, he felt like he didn't adequately take care of his mother like he was instructed to.

No father in his life. His mom dies. The wheels come off.
zzzeallySep 15, 2014 7:04 PM

Sep 15, 2014 6:27 PM
Dec 2012
Idk why..but after all those feels I couldn't help but to just clap in the ending from being so happy that Kou finally starting to realize something..
Sep 15, 2014 7:03 PM
Aug 2013
Oh my gosh. My new favorite episode. I was wailing. Gosh. I can't handle this. It's so much different than reading a manga.
I had a heart attack when Touma appeared and I hyperventilated for at least two minutes, I'm not even joking. I also had a mini heart attack when...

Best episode so far. Everything was fantastic. I really understood how Futaba felt, because it's true, she will never be able to understand how he felt. It's impossible, and she knew it. Stuff like that is really frustrating, where you can't do anything to get to somehow and you are aware of it. I've experienced that before, and it's such a hopeless feeling. The way I reacted to that feeling...well let's just say Futaba handled it better than me. Frustrated that she couldn't change things, she pushed him down a hill and made it clear that no one will hate him for having fun despite the guilt he feels. She gave him some strings to hold onto. She gave it everything she got...and goodness that hug was beautiful. That was great.
Awesome episode, and now I actually have a spark of hope for a second season because of Kikuchi...
Sep 15, 2014 7:13 PM
Jun 2013
This episode had me balling my eyes out. My mother died of cancer while I was in Highschool, and I felt the exact same way Kou felt in this episode. I made the assumption that succeeding at school was the best way to do right by my parents, but when my mother passed I couldn't help but think nothing I would ever have would amount to what I had just lost. I had lost what really mattered, spending as much time with my mother as possible.

The portrayal of Kou in this episode may seem like a deviation from his character, too sappy to be him, but to me this is as real as a character can get. His experience was enough to change his life. I think the way Futaba ties into his ongoing struggle is perfect. Her qualities and mindset allow her to be the perspective Kou needs to see the most. The end where he says "I wanted to be given permission" is his acknowledgement that what she is saying is right. He had thought it too unjust that he ever be happy again. He should look for happiness and not feel guilty.

I can only hope this episode spoke to others without similar experiences too.
Sep 15, 2014 8:00 PM
Aug 2014
This episode felt so short!! I really liked how they deepened Kou's tragic backstory. So ready for the next episode.
Sep 15, 2014 8:35 PM

Dec 2013
Zeally said:
Gymkata said:

I have to give it props for tackling family trauma and its effects on kids, but the depiction is coming off disappointingly weak/forced. I won't dispute his mother's death as the driving force for his continued despair and social reclusion, but the notion that he's still consumed by guilt for studying too much in middle school and being late for dinner is a bit much.

I think you completely missed the point here. He simply feels guilty for not spending more time with his mother. The little things that you take for granted come back and haunt you when a loved one dies.

Even though it is irrational because he had no control over his mom getting cancer, he felt like he didn't adequately take care of his mother like he was instructed to.

No father in his life. His mom dies. The wheels come off.

That's understandable from a middle schooler's perspective, but a little odd for a soon-to-be college adult. Maybe it's a cultural difference, but the idea of teenagers being charged with 'taking care' of their parents is creepy. I'm not disputing the potential regrets--however trivial--that come with family death. But that twenty second setup as the basis for his past grief and perennial social issues seemed paper thin. I'd have to accept that he hasn't matured mentally or emotionally at all to accept the basis for his guilt.

Still...this ep was one of the best so far imo. More character work, more backstory, and great use of music.

DouluoSep 15, 2014 10:32 PM
Sep 15, 2014 8:52 PM
Aug 2011
Touching backstory that could happen to anyone.

However that doesn't mean I like this couple solely from romantic standpoint- because I still don't like them.
Sep 15, 2014 8:56 PM

Feb 2014
Ayya >.< One more episode! I'm sad this series is coming to an end. I hope there will be a second season, perhaps when the manga gets a bit further ahead.

I nearly cried - Poor Kou, so much to deal with for someone so young, I'm glad he has Futaba.
Sep 15, 2014 9:35 PM

May 2010
F E E L S ! ! ! ! ! ! 。゚( ゚இ‸இ゚)゚。

This better get a season 2...
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Sep 15, 2014 9:54 PM

Jun 2014
So glad that I waited to watch this until after I got home from work instead of watching it at work. By the end of the episode I was crying so much that it would have been embarrassing at work.

Only 1 episode left and I DON'T want it to end! Please announce a second season!

This episode was the best one of the season, the ending scenes with Kou and Futaba were excellent and the moments with his mother were so sad!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Sep 15, 2014 10:03 PM
Jun 2014
Kou ;^; the feelsss.

XDD The infamous Touma has arrived~
Even after reading from the manga, I still crack up at that scene.

Things can't end so soon with only one ep left,
They just have to make a second season!
Sep 15, 2014 10:19 PM

Jun 2014
helloisabelle said:

Kou ALLLL THE WAAAYYYYYY~~hahaha.

The anime will be ending next week. Hope to get another season, the anime adaptation is just so good.
Sep 15, 2014 10:28 PM

Jul 2011
wow. that was a very nice episode. Had me hooked the entire time. new character introduced. Well not fully introduced. But i got a feeling we'll see more of him ;).

aww kou finally opened up, or more like accepted Futaba into his heart. Such a sweet episode. Only one episode left. :)
Sep 15, 2014 10:54 PM

Aug 2014
Silver4000 said:

On the dream, was that girl, when Young Kou exited the hospital, someone important? She was entering the hospital, and... wel... she was detailed, and from the camera angle...

also, tat guy that ''lost his virginity'' with Futaba, is he going to be important?.

The girl you're talking about was Narumi.
I literally had to rewind the part 3 times where Narumi entered the hospital just to make sure I wasn't mistaken! Wow a Cameo.
The one who "lost virginity" was Touma. I literally went hunting for touma the moment they entered the library.Yes, he's gonna be important. When I read the manga kou's backstory never made me feel anything, but this episode is so filled with feels.
Sep 15, 2014 11:31 PM
May 2013
the Feelz train hit me hard this episode

.. I lost my mother to cancer myself, and I could relate to both Kou and his brother(I ended up getting sick to the point I couldn't visit and starting thinking about when the symptoms started showing)

slowly tearing down this wall I built around myself :/ >>
Sep 16, 2014 12:05 AM

Aug 2012
Dam the first half of the episode was so sad :(
Sep 16, 2014 12:13 AM
Mar 2011
This episode was great, only at the phone ringing, they could have added the, "I am scared, I am scared" Which he actually is thinking on that moment. To make it a bit more clear. (still it was clear to me, but I do know the manga)

But still it was good, it made me cry. And what Kou showed there felt so real to me.

I cried many many times over my mom. Last night I felt it all coming back again, my mom died 10 years ago, when I was 23, almost 24 years old. But I can still cry like the day it did happen.

I can still beg for forgiveness for all the things I wished I had done for her. Hugged her more, did more things with her, told her more how much I loved her.

I am only child, and my dad was not really a talker, so I always felt so alone.

So yeah that scene of Kou crying his heart out like that, I cried with him.

And that last moment between Kou and Futaba was so great.
Those two belong together, that is what I felt when I saw them like that.

But this only 12 epsiodes long??
Then I don't understand a few things they showed in this episode. Why show it when it will be ending next episode?

There must be a second season?
Sep 16, 2014 12:47 AM

Jan 2013
KellieDee said:
I feel more emotional than when I did reading the manga chapter.
These Koutaba moments are so precious!

Silver4000 said:
On the dream, was that girl, when Young Kou exited the hospital, someone important? She was entering the hospital, and... wel... she was detailed, and from the camera angle...

also, tat guy that ''lost his virginity'' with Futaba, is he going to be important?

I see... thanks.

Chiyo361 said:
Silver4000 said:

also, tat guy that ''lost his virginity'' with Futaba, is he going to be important?.

The girl you're talking about was Narumi.
I literally had to rewind the part 3 times where Narumi entered the hospital just to make sure I wasn't mistaken! Wow a Cameo.
The one who "lost virginity" was Touma. I literally went hunting for touma the moment they entered the library.Yes, he's gonna be important. When I read the manga kou's backstory never made me feel anything, but this episode is so filled with feels.

Got it, thanks.
CrimsonSilver4Sep 16, 2014 12:53 AM
Sep 16, 2014 12:49 AM
Mar 2011
Gymkata said:

I won't dispute his mother's death as the driving force for his continued despair and social reclusion, but the notion that he's still consumed by guilt for studying too much in middle school and being late for dinner is a bit much.

But those little things are the things you feel guilty about?

I so wished I hugged my mom more, told her more how I loved her, and didn't was so much in my room.

I wish I had cherished the moments like that more with her.

That she died is things I had no control over, it is sad but true, but the things I could have done, give more hugs, be more with her, that are things I could have done, so that are the things you will feel guilty about.

That is for me the strong part of this episode.

And the "I don't care feeling" Kou gone through, I know so well.
And I knew very well it would make my mom sad, but I still just didn't care anymore.

I guess it is a way of surviving, trying to ignore it. Not a good way, definitely not good. But I couldn't handle the pain at that time.

So I understand Kou so well, feels like the mangaka went through something similar, in how well she shows it.

But everyone goes through this kind of stuff in their own way, I know some great people who done a lot better then me, still I wonder how they feel and act when no one is watching them?
Sep 16, 2014 2:16 AM

Dec 2013
lynxie said:
Gymkata said:

I won't dispute his mother's death as the driving force for his continued despair and social reclusion, but the notion that he's still consumed by guilt for studying too much in middle school and being late for dinner is a bit much.

But those little things are the things you feel guilty about?

I so wished I hugged my mom more, told her more how I loved her, and didn't was so much in my room.

I wish I had cherished the moments like that more with her.

That she died is things I had no control over, it is sad but true, but the things I could have done, give more hugs, be more with her, that are things I could have done, so that are the things you will feel guilty about.

That is for me the strong part of this episode.

And the "I don't care feeling" Kou gone through, I know so well.
And I knew very well it would make my mom sad, but I still just didn't care anymore.

I guess it is a way of surviving, trying to ignore it. Not a good way, definitely not good. But I couldn't handle the pain at that time.

So I understand Kou so well, feels like the mangaka went through something similar, in how well she shows it.

But everyone goes through this kind of stuff in their own way, I know some great people who done a lot better then me, still I wonder how they feel and act when no one is watching them?

You missed my point. It's not regret that I'm criticizing, but the anime's hamfisted and poorly executed handling of it. That short scene was pivotal to understanding his current psyche, so it needed to shine but didnt for me. Hopefully there's more development in later episodes on this subject...
Sep 16, 2014 2:40 AM

Jun 2013
11 eps in and I'm still loving the OP, unconsciously always sing to it~

Shocked myself with the amount of goosebumps I had during the first half of the episode. Dem feels in this episode, ;_; @ Kou's past

Omg the end had me crying, it was too touching
"She's like a storm"
"I've been waiting for something like this, something like a storm"
Kou you've found it :-)))))))

Please please please let there be a season 2
Sep 16, 2014 3:01 AM

May 2013
The feels in this episode. Welcome to the feel trip. I'm gonna miss this anime.

deanzel said:

^ I laughed so hard in that scene. SELF-RESTRAINT XD

tsubasalover said:

I really thought that Daisuke Namikawa or Miyu Irino will voice him. But oh well.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Sep 16, 2014 3:10 AM

May 2014
I cried quite a bit this episode. The scene of Kou's past and the scene at the end with Futaba had me in tears.
Sep 16, 2014 3:31 AM

Jan 2014
The best episode so far imo :')
Sep 16, 2014 4:06 AM

Jun 2012
pyreholocaust said:

Please please please let there be a season 2

Flick-Chan said:
Ayya >.< One more episode! I'm sad this series is coming to an end. I hope there will be a second season, perhaps when the manga gets a bit further ahead.

I nearly cried - Poor Kou, so much to deal with for someone so young, I'm glad he has Futaba.

IchigoHollowfi said:
F E E L S ! ! ! ! ! ! 。゚( ゚இ‸இ゚)゚。

This better get a season 2...

----------------------------------------

I nearly cried this ep too :c (my mother was at home so I had to restrain myself, didn't want her asking me later why was my face so pale and eyes so red orz)

even though I haven't suffered the exact same thing as Kou, I do understands who he feels.... same with Futaba at the beginning of the series

at first I didn't liked Ao Haru Ride because it made me remember a lot of stuff I would rather forget, but I'm slowly getting more and more attached and it hurts ;-;
NemuriNezumiSep 16, 2014 4:24 AM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Sep 16, 2014 4:23 AM
Mar 2011
Gymkata said:

You missed my point. It's not regret that I'm criticizing, but the anime's hamfisted and poorly executed handling of it. That short scene was pivotal to understanding his current psyche, so it needed to shine but didnt for me. Hopefully there's more development in later episodes on this subject...

I guess I did, because I really don't understand your point. Now is my English not so great. I had to look at translation of hamfisted and pivotal, to see the meaning in what you trying to say.

hamfisted seems to mean something like clumsy.
Pivotal seem to mean of vital/critical importance.

So in short you don't like how they showed it, while it was a very important moment about Kou?

I thought they did it in a really great way?
With so less they showed so much? I was actually impressed how well they did.

I wonder what you would have liked? What would have made it better, in your opinion?
Sep 16, 2014 4:34 AM
May 2013
kou and futaba's pure tears :"((
[URL][/URL]
Sep 16, 2014 5:13 AM

May 2013
Some flashbacks of Kou with his mom were shown. I appreciate how Futaba always get involved in Kou's problems. It's slowly making him a better person. Those dramatic scenes were touching.
Oh! Last episode next week.
Sep 16, 2014 5:24 AM

Oct 2009
This episode was really painful to watch...I'm in a similar situation of Kou ( father ) and watching this episode has made me remember all that happened 3 years ago.
The feelings are well developed but the reality it's different, it's not enough to have friends telling you that it's all right to live happily, at least for me it's not sufficient.
This was painful in the manga too.

I hope there will be a second season.
SkullcrusherSep 16, 2014 5:32 AM
Sep 16, 2014 6:04 AM

Dec 2013
The feels in this episode, felt so sorry for Kou ;_; I wish they had expanded on his backstory earlier in the series, but it's okay, now it serves as more of an explanation for why he's done what he's done so far.
But still, feeling like he needed permission to move on with his life ;_;
The scene between him and Futaba at the end was pretty touching too. Both of them crying together :)
Also...

Anyway, with all the character cameos in this episode, I really hope that they're hinting at a season 2.
Please, Anime Kami-sama, hear my prayers.
One episode left! I hope it's an epic one :D
Sep 16, 2014 6:07 AM

Sep 2013
The pacing is rather slow. This episode should have been episode 8 or 9. I cant believe the next ep is the last.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 16, 2014 6:15 AM

May 2014
lynxie said:
So in short you don't like how they showed it, while it was a very important moment about Kou?
That's what he said earlier, you're interpreting his post correctly.
lynxie said:
I thought they did it in a really great way?
With so less they showed so much? I was actually impressed how well they did.

I wonder what you would have liked? What would have made it better, in your opinion?
Mostly because you personally resonated with the event. It was so well done that even I teared up, and I tend o be emotionally distant and analytical most of the time. So yes, it was very well done.

What I think would've been nice isn't the event itself being better done, it was flawlessly executed as an emotional piece, however this puts into question Kou's actions. Up to now he's been a nice guy and an intentionally cynical bastard by the plot demands. So when the heck does his sentimental switch turn on or off?!

Also Kou shows some tendencies to nihilism, that "I don't care attitude.", if nothing has meaning, then how come more things will have meaning Futaba?! And she's devaluing the one thing Kou sulks about losing.

Of course values are probably the most subjective thing I can pick up, but when it comes to rejecting everything, nihilism provoked by trauma, Futaba's lecture doesn't hold much water. Not to mention time heals such wounds, it doesn't close them, but eases the pain. Hence Kou doesn't have as much reason to be as nihilistic/cynical/cruel again, why has he been as such up to now? Consistency is too much to ask for from an angsty high school student?

In essence there are themes and big questions that can be asked and explored, there could've been some great development and maturing for the characters, but that was scrapped because the mangaka didn't want to go to such depths for various reasons.

And the best part? Kou will be sidetracked later for another love triangle attempt, this time Futaba having to choose between 2 guys. Hence all this drama will also become pointless!
T3hSourceSep 16, 2014 7:50 AM
Sep 16, 2014 6:36 AM

Jun 2013
oh man Kou's past is sad
Sep 16, 2014 6:58 AM

Apr 2011
Sad in the beginning the feels in this anime are so amazing.
I hope we do get a second season.
Sep 16, 2014 7:37 AM

Sep 2013
the feels... WOW
I'm not ready for it to end :'(((((((
Sep 16, 2014 11:42 AM

Feb 2013
Wow....super depressing first part, with a wonderful ending.

Fantastic episode......oh god.....I don't want this show to end yet.
Sep 16, 2014 12:05 PM

Jul 2012
Okay, well that bumped my score back to an 8.

Powerful episode, they went full out with the budget and music. Praying for a second season because this series needs it, but I'm worried on how they'll handle the
Sep 16, 2014 12:19 PM
Feb 2013
Oh that sooo sweet.
Sep 16, 2014 12:38 PM

Jun 2013
Oh my GOD I was not expecting for that episode to RIP MY HEART INTO A MILLION PIECES LIKE IT JUST DID. I read the manga and I was STILL not prepared. I mean it hits me harder than most because I have literally been in Kou's exact situation before, my dad passed away of cancer when I was a kid and as a result I had the EXACT SAME problems he has, this tendency to bottle things in and an extreme fear of getting close to people only to lose them. I don't think I've ever empathized with a character more or cried as hard as I did in those first and last thirds of this episode (and I guess that's saying a lot considering I've seen a lot of the notorious 'heartbreaking' anime and only teared up a little if at all..... But that's prob just me being weirdly emotionless about most things/relating to his scenario more than most ppl)

That being said I was p grateful for the comic relief in the middle and finally the introduction of kikuchi!! (I don't hate him like everyone else does, either due to my tendency to over empathize for everyone or the fact that I'm only on chapter 31 ish) I'm really impressed with the show so far even though a lot of the story is slower paced than I would have preferred. It does an amazing job of replicating the mangaka's art style and it's one of the more aesthetically pleasing shoujo I've seen. I hOPE they stick to the manga in the ending and/or it gets a second season so that I can have more episodes to induce ugly crying out of me
sailormeanSep 16, 2014 4:21 PM
Sep 16, 2014 1:00 PM
Mar 2012
Skullcrusher said:
The feelings are well developed but the reality it's different, it's not enough to have friends telling you that it's all right to live happily, at least for me it's not sufficient.
Yeah, I thought it was over-simplified, too. I mean, we're talking about parents here, no matter how many "little things" - nothing can replace them.

My first ex-boyfriend died of cancer and I could really relate to the thought "could I have noticed something earlier".
I now wish I had more pictures and more videos to remember him by. The sound of him laughing, the stupid jokes, the smell.
And I think that's one message this episode really gets across: it's those little things that count. We should all put more value into the little, every-day things. Because you never know and in the end it's those things you'll miss. It's not the big graduation party (well, maybe a little), it's having dinner together. It's not the promotion, it's laughing together in front of the TV. It's not the one time fancy holiday, it's the regular evening strolls.
Sep 16, 2014 1:17 PM

Oct 2011
The entire episode I was crying T ______T Can't stop the tears !!!!!! Kou OMG </3
Sep 16, 2014 4:33 PM

Jul 2013
EW TOUMA APPEARED KILL HIM. He literally made me wanna rip my hair out every single page in the manga. ugh.

Such a great episode. Kou makes my heart hurt.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Sep 16, 2014 5:10 PM

Nov 2007
Bwaha, so glad we got the accidental crotch grab scene~ /perv

[avatar from Tales of the Abyss]
Sep 16, 2014 5:30 PM

Jul 2012
dekopinn said:
EW TOUMA APPEARED KILL HIM. He literally made me wanna rip my hair out every single page in the manga. ugh.

What's wrong with him?
Sep 16, 2014 7:28 PM

Jul 2010
So sad yet so beautiful, I mean for some people Kou's backstory might be exaggerated but it seems pretty fair to me, during adolescence feeling what he felt must have been devastating.

That said, that HNNG moment at the end was so adorable.
Guys can we expect a second season?
Sep 16, 2014 8:12 PM

Oct 2013

The final scene with Kou and Futaba holding each other was SO TOUCHING.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 16, 2014 9:02 PM

Feb 2014
ANIME. ORIGINAL. ENDING.
AHHHHHHH yisssssssssssssssss.
に触
祟ら
りぬ
な神

Sep 16, 2014 9:05 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, had an emotional peak.
Kou will get better, they are so close to being a couple
Sep 16, 2014 9:11 PM
Jul 2012
flowerheaddress said:
ANIME. ORIGINAL. ENDING.
AHHHHHHH yisssssssssssssssss.

Really? LOL. I'm glad.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

296 by Kotori-chama »»
Apr 13, 8:47 AM

» Season 2?

Roni1703 - Apr 3

27 by v4lerria_a »»
Apr 5, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2014

377 by Fenyy »»
Feb 23, 1:25 PM

» What do you think of the anime?

7ohan - Nov 11, 2023

24 by earthborn »»
Nov 15, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

156 by n0t_4dy »»
Oct 30, 2023 2:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.