Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 23, 2014 12:33 PM

Jun 2013
Damn, shit is going down. Just as Cruchteo begins to show some decency, Saazbaum strikes. Classic Urobutcher. Show some hope just to crush it, it's much more satisfying.

Wonder if there will be a fallout amongst the Orbitak Knights.
Missing the times of Rewrite, good times.
Aug 23, 2014 12:34 PM

Jan 2014
Damn, Slaine getting tortured here and there.
At first, Saazbaum seems like merciful to Slaine, but it is seriously Cruhteo who is the true ally.
"Forgive me, Slaine. You have sworn your loyalty a thousand times over!"

And there he goes, dead.
Well, I hope he's not.
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Aug 23, 2014 12:38 PM

Oct 2007
DejWoSWK said:
Uber_Dewber said:
Completely unrelated to Aldnoah, but in my opinion, Zankyou no Terror is probably the second best show of the season, Barakamon being first. Aldnoah is the bigger let-down.

But I'd say that ZnT's quality is dropping as well. First few episodes were pretty good,at least,up until SHE showed up. Though,it is not as disappointing as Aldnoah.Zero.

Disappointment and Aniplex originals often seem to go hand in hand these days. Hell Aniplex in general, but especially originals. I probably wouldn't be as disappointed in this case though if the preview hadn't gotten my hopes up that there'd be a lot more fleshing out and moving forward of the narrative and some decent character moments and then the episode proceeded to mostly rehash old simplistic ideas and motivations. Boy they sure got me again good this time I'll admit it.
Aug 23, 2014 12:41 PM

Apr 2008
Would love it if Cruhteo somehow survives and goes vigilante wiht maybe a cool scar or something sabotaging Sazbaum. Ah well a guy can dream

May 2009
Damn it. Just when Count Cruhteo is confirmed to be the biggest bro of all time in the anime, and they kill him off. :(

I...I need my healing Barakamon now.

Jul 2014
Visualized said:
At first, Saazbaum seems like merciful to Slaine, but it is seriously Cruhteo who is the true ally.

And there he goes, dead.
Well, I hope he's not.

Hope he is not. Beside there is not dead body.
Aug 23, 2014 12:43 PM

Sep 2010
chickenonthepan said:
Not so much for Inaho and Hime this episode either. Inaho gets nothing and Hime just get a little. She seems determined and has a cute side. But that's all. She thinks about the knowledge Sliane taugh her, but she doesn't worry about him one bit. Just like he is a dead friend lol...

Finally, FAN SERVICE, bah, THAT WAS NOT A KISS, WHY ARE YOU TRYING SO HARD TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE ONE? I"M ANNOYED.

Why would she worry about him? As far as she knows, he's safe in a castle. She pretty much admitted he's the reason why she loves Earth and wants peace so much. She's living in the world he made her love. He. Made. Her. Fall. In. Love. With. Earth.

You're grasping the straws here.

Sure he found out a lot about Inaho, he fights for survival and not for Asseylum. He's being a foil for Slaine in that moment who faces death for her sake. Just like the contrast of Slaine/Asseylum thinking about each other in different contexts.
Aug 23, 2014 12:43 PM
Jul 2018
Poor Slaine, he got tortured so badly.
Aug 23, 2014 12:44 PM

Feb 2013
So, the second attempt to halt the war end with failure too
Putting other things aside, I kinda curious what Count Saazbaum plan to do with Aldnoah research conducted by Slaine's father. For what purpose? I think it is not strategic just to win over the Earth, because they far more advance. Well, 3 Knight that fallen earlier because they were too cocky, and far underestimated their opponent. It is more exciting if Count Saazbaum plan to overthrown the emperor using that research, maybe make Aldnoah drive theirs (As we know current Emperor hold the key of Aldnoah drive).
Aug 23, 2014 12:45 PM

Dec 2013
Why did the princess go all Bruce Lee for no reason, as if she couldn't just let them hear her out first, she should've apologized, b****.

Nevertheless, the episode was 13 pointless passer by talk and the rest was actual plot development, which they destroyed when they killed cruhteo. I was getting excited when he found out, I even started clapping saying "this is better", but then his death probably meant the end of the series being a great one.

The torturing of Slaine was sad, he's still my favorite though. I don't understand why people think that he is so one dimensional. Think of it this way, he was saved by the princess, he's been clearly treated badly whilst he's been with the Martians for being a terran, and now the earthlings, who should be the best at being rational and understanding issues, thanks to Inaho asking the stupid question of "is it OK to exploit the princess"has driven him to find comfort in the only person who treats him right ie hime.

He's not going to be happy all the time is he, clearly the way cruhteo described what Slaine's done shows why he's such a good character.

But now the writers have killed off Cruhteo, it's just gonna be more crappy cheap bland villain's and hey ho it's inaho to save the day.

skudoops said:
Uber_Dewber said:
Completely unrelated to Aldnoah, but Zankyou no Terror is probably the second best show of the season, Barakamon being first. Aldnoah is the bigger let-down.

I can't say I agree, ZnT is probably the biggest disappointment this season and I already know which character he's referring to and yes that character is awful.

ZnT has been great, I like the idea of having that girl come in and almost mess things up, definitely better than this let down of a show
Aug 23, 2014 12:47 PM

Jul 2009
good episode. im glad they left slaine behind. no lovey dovey reuniting episode just yet! inaho probably shot him down but didnt kill him cause he in a sense still owed him. however, he didnt owe him to the point of letting him on his ship. good job inaho. but they killed that knight dude, damn... didnt see that coming. 5/5
Aug 23, 2014 12:50 PM

Jun 2013
Maryruss said:
Visualized said:

And there he goes, dead.
Well, I hope he's not.

Hope he is not. Beside there is not dead body.

There's a reason there is no body.

Aug 23, 2014 12:50 PM

Sep 2010
alchem1485 said:
So, the second attempt to halt the war end with failure too
Putting other things aside, I kinda curious what Count Saazbaum plan to do with Aldnoah research conducted by Slaine's father. For what purpose? I think it is not strategic just to win over the Earth, because they far more advance. Well, 3 Knight that fallen earlier because they were too cocky, and far underestimated their opponent. It is more exciting if Count Saazbaum plan to overthrown the emperor using that research, maybe make Aldnoah drive theirs (As we know current Emperor hold the key of Aldnoah drive).

I'll give you a hint: knowing the princess was the last descendant of the Emperor who could provide them Aldnoah, he wanted her dead and he's so interested on Earth war, he remains on Orbit. The very idea of Slaine getting killed makes him board his Kat and do the dashing rescue himself, all eyes on him and ignoring everyone until he's called out by Cruhteo.

And another hint, the files say they'll be a contender to the throne (to Asseylum's claim) that hasn't "been announced."

Also Aoki Eri keeps calling Slaine the "key character".
Aug 23, 2014 12:55 PM

Jan 2014
Thess said:
chickenonthepan said:
Not so much for Inaho and Hime this episode either. Inaho gets nothing and Hime just get a little. She seems determined and has a cute side. But that's all. She thinks about the knowledge Sliane taugh her, but she doesn't worry about him one bit. Just like he is a dead friend lol...

Finally, FAN SERVICE, bah, THAT WAS NOT A KISS, WHY ARE YOU TRYING SO HARD TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE ONE? I"M ANNOYED.

Why would she worry about him? As far as she knows, he's safe in a castle. She pretty much admitted he's the reason why she loves Earth and wants peace so much. She's living in the world he made her love. He. Made. Her. Fall. In. Love. With. Earth.

Sure he found out a lot about Inaho, he fights for survival and not for Asseylum. He's being a foil for Slaine in that moment who faces death for her sake. Just like the contrast of Slaine/Asseylum thinking about each other in different contexts.

I assume you never have a far way friend then.
Even I know my friend is safe and sound, I cannot help myself but to worry about him sometime because things can happens accidentally. Today he may be perfectly fine, but tomorrow he may feel ill for some reasons.

Is that a character development for Inaho? no...

It's pretty much an episode for Hime-Saine shipper as far as I know (with the abusive uses of fan-service scene). Can you point some character development out of this for me? you can't even denied that Slaine is becoming more badass but more one-dimensional.

Too much romantic contexts ruins this episode. And I think you were against it...
Aug 23, 2014 12:58 PM
Apr 2013
Jesus Christ people, seven pages already?!

Anyway, Crutheo is probably still alive. He's gotta go through that arc, man...you know...that ARC?

Aug 23, 2014 12:59 PM
Apr 2013
Fai said:
Darklight0303 said:
Wow the writer fucked up. They actually left him behind.

IT has been very obvious that the writers fucked up way before this episode.

Shit happens because its convenient. The way they handled slaine plot here is no different.

Don't expect common sense from these characters until its time to finally advance the plot.

Dis guy knows...

Aug 23, 2014 1:00 PM

Jun 2013
ollythirteen said:

Anyway, Crutheo is probably still alive. He's gotta go through that arc, man...you know...that ARC?

They showed him getting vaporized inside of the giant beam saber. Are you suggesting that he has a double? Because the man in the scene is undoubtedly dead. Please elaborate.
Aug 23, 2014 1:03 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I did not expect to see that Inaho left Slaine there to die/be captured :|

And seeing him get tortured was brutal...I felt bad for him :(

The stuff with Inaho's side was alright...But the ending though

The dude just finally realized the truth and I was getting into him leading a force against the traitors and then THAT happens...And to make matters worse, Saaz-whatever kidnapped Slaine >.<

Looks like your theory might actually happen @Pakoko lol
TokoyaAug 23, 2014 1:08 PM
Aug 23, 2014 1:03 PM
Aug 2008
maybe he will be back, but with a face-mask
Aug 23, 2014 1:04 PM
Feb 2014
Uber_Dewber said:
Completely unrelated to Aldnoah, but in my opinion, Zankyou no Terror is probably the second best show of the season, Barakamon being first. Aldnoah is the bigger let-down.

skudoops said:
I can't say I agree, ZnT is probably the biggest disappointment this season and I already know which character he's referring to and yes that character is awful.

DejWoSWK said:
But I'd say that ZnT's quality is dropping as well. First few episodes were pretty good,at least,up until SHE showed up. Though,it is not as disappointing as Aldnoah.Zero.

jdbe said:
ZnT has been great, I like the idea of having that girl come in and almost mess things up, definitely better than this let down of a show

Actually, Zankyou no Terror is still hands down the best series this season for me... despite it's deterioration due to the said character. The plot, animation and soundtrack is still the best I've come across in the past 1-2 years.
However, the direction and "mood" of the series completely changed ever since the said character was introduced and putting the fact that it only has 4 more episodes remaining and that it apparently only has 1 cour, it's not a good change. Too much questions to answer, too much loose ends to tie up and too many undeveloped characters. They'll either end up rushing things or they'll end up having a second cour (which I would prefer). Well, there's still the small chance they can pull off a miracle and end things the way it started.

Anyway, back to Aldnoah.Zero. It really wouldn't make any sense if Cruhteo survives (unless his Kataphrakt has the ability to teleport him to safety or make a barrier around him) but since the one who killed him is a Knight as well, his Kataphrakt's abilities should have been known.

It's actually weird as well as how their Orbital Palace's (or whatever it's called) monitors / sensors couldn't detect that another Martian Kataphrakt was heading their way.
Aug 23, 2014 1:06 PM

Jul 2014
chickenonthepan said:
Thess said:

Even I know my friend is safe and sound, I cannot help myself but to worry about him sometime because things can happens accidentally. Today he may be perfectly fine, but tomorrow he may feel ill for some reasons.

It's pretty much an episode for Hime-Saine shipper as far as I know (with the abusive uses of fan-service scene). Can you point some character development out of this for me? you can't even denied that Slaine is becoming more badass but more one-dimensional.

Too much romantic contexts ruins this episode. And I think you were against it...

I will have to disagree, romantic is always welcome. Specially when each other thinks about other in different contexts, is like not explicit what I like most.
Well maybe is that a mecha musn't include romantic scene? :D
Aug 23, 2014 1:07 PM

Jul 2014
What I can't get is that this show is pretty unapologetic whan it comes to fanservice (just remember that kiss or look at this whole episode), but is tumbling when it comes to creating more feels. There're just so many wasted opportunities... Let's list a few from this episode:

1) The main one is the contrast between Slaine being tortured and the others having a relatively peaceful time. The way it was done it didn't achieve anything meaningful, just made me hate the Inaho's crew and the princess a bit more. The chatter between the schoolchildren was kinda annoying when it was made equal in meaning to a guy being beaten to death. If anyone won from this, it was Inaho, cause he was the only one with adequately grim expression.

2) Princess revealing who she was. That was mostly ok, though it could be done better, like without her falling as low as to actually hit a guy during negotiation.

3) Rayet expressing her disgust of the martians. Inaho should've understood who she was, at least.

4) Calm wanting to avenge his friend. It would have been much more interesting if he had stayed hostile to the princess. It would've been good to see princes coping with being hated. She should learn to as well - those who have lost members of their families won't forgive her because of her good heart. (And we don't see how civilians cope with loss of their loved ones or homes at all).

5) Princess talking about Slaine. I don't even know where to start. That interruption was annoying as hell. She didn't give any new info or insight into his personality. It seems that she doesn't know that he constantly suffers. She wasn't worried in the slightest about what was happening to him after she had left (she must be aware that he should be very unhappy about her death, right?). And she didn't ask Inaho what had happened with the guy who could be Slaine (for god's sake how is that even possible?)

5) Marito. Did we need that silly scene at all? Just, please, leave him be or give him some development. I dunno why we see him being so relaxed too, since he is at war yet unoperational and also he has met the sister of his dead friend, who said that she blames him for everything.

6) Cruhteo's development. They showed us him beating Sline with electricity, sticks, whip and his own hands. Maybe it was possible to cut on the variety of these objects and let us see him being developped as a character, for example, show us how the count is reassessing his thoughts on Slaine. I think that it could've added some variety and create huge amount of feels.

After rewatching some parts of the episode, I must say that the two best moments was Inaho's answer to the princess thanking him and Saazbaum's haughty "Hm" at the end. Saazbaum did it like a boss - came flying to the enemy's castle, blew off the roof, f** up the owner, took what he needed and flew away. That's how it's done, nice.
deadoptimistAug 23, 2014 1:13 PM
Aug 23, 2014 1:11 PM

Dec 2011
We got to see how Seylum revealed herself to the crew and whatnot heh.

I still can't get enough of hearing the OP lol.

A few more scenes of that moment when Slaine arrived and Seylum kissed him in order to save him :3

Poor Slaine is getting tortured because he was caught by the Vers soldiers T.T

So Magbaredge learned of the plot to assassinate the princess as an excuse to start the war against humanity heh.

It seems Rayet is still going on with her "all martians are the enemy" way thinking.

Damn... they're still torturing Slaine T.T

We also got to see a scene where Slaine was teaching Seylum about birds heh.

If only Slaine would realize faster that Count Cruhteo is actually one of the good guys.

Honestly... someone do something about Inaho's attitude... Seylum should seduce or kiss him XD.

I just knew that Cruhteo was a nice guy (to those loyal) XD.

At least the new kataphrakt looked nice.

Funny how one kataphrakt destroyed an entire landing castle on its own lol.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Aug 23, 2014 1:13 PM

Jul 2014
Wait so cruhteo was being tricked all along?! Damn I thought he was in charge of getting the princess killed. Or was he just playing along? In order to not blow his cover.
Aug 23, 2014 1:14 PM

Mar 2012
Surprise to see Slaine just suddenly already in Cruhteo's hand. Poor Cruhteo just realized the truth and had to died straight after. Gonna be harder for Slaine to escape now.
Claude_KennyAug 23, 2014 1:20 PM
Keep moving forward
Aug 23, 2014 1:14 PM

Sep 2013
deadoptimist said:
What I can't get is that this show is pretty unapologetic whan it comes to fanservice (just remember that kiss or look at this whole episode), but is tumbling when it comes to creating more feels. There're just so many wasted opportunities... Let's list a few from this episode:

1) The main one is the contrast between Slaine being tortured and the others having a relatively peaceful time. The way it was done it didn't achieve anything meaningful, just made me hate the Inaho's crew and the princess a bit more. The chatter between the schoolchildren was kinda annoying when it was made equal in meaning to a guy being beaten to death. If anyone won from this, it was Inaho, cause he was the only one with adequately grim expression.

2) Princess revealing who she was. That was mostly ok, though it could be done better, like without her falling as low as to actually hit a guy during negotiation.

3) Rayet expressing her disgust of the martians. Inaho should've understood who she was, at least.

4) Calm wanting to avenge his friend. It would have been much more interesting if he had stayed hostile to the princess. It would've been good to see princes coping with being hated. She should learn to as well - those who have lost members of their families won't forgive her because of her good heart. (And we don't see how civilians cope with loss of their loved ones or homes at all).

5) Princess talking about Slaine. I don't even know where to start. That interruption was annoying as hell. She didn't give any new info or insight into his personality. It seems that she doesn't know that he constantly suffers. She wasn't worried in the slightest about what was happening to him after she had left (she must be aware that he should be very unhappy about her death, right?). And she didn't ask Inaho what had happened with the guy who could be Slaine (for god's sake how is that even possible?)

5) Marito. Did we need that silly scene at all? Just, please, leave him be or give him some development. I dunno why we see him being so relaxed too, since he is at war and unoperational and also he has met the sister of his dead friend, who said that she blames him for everything.

6) Cruhteo's development. They showed us him beating Sline with electricity, sticks, whip and his own hands. Maybe it was possible to cut on the variety of these objects and let us see him being developped as a cahracter, for example, show us how the count is reassessing his thoughts on Slaine. I think that it could've added some variety and create feels.

After rewatching some parts of the episode, I must say that the two best moments was Inaho's answer to the princess' thaks and Saazbaum's haughty "Hm" at the end. Saazbaum did it like a boss - came flying to the enemy's castle, blew off the roof, f** up the owner, took what he needed and flew away. That's how it's done, nice.

If there is anything this show has proven time and time again, it's that it's absolutely horrendous at characterization.

Inaho's answer to the princess did give a bit of insight, albeit not a lot, into his mind... Maybe by what he said, he meant he doesn't actually like fighting in wars... then again who does? Either way I still don't know his goals, likes, or dislikes but what he said to the Princess was alright.

Saazbaum is just an evil prick in every sense of the word. At the very least he shows some form of intelligence that the rest of the Vers Empire don't seem to have so there's that.

I pretty much agree with your entire post.
Aug 23, 2014 1:16 PM

Mar 2011
It would be a shame if Crutheo is truly dead, I really wanted to see his mecha, besides it seems he is the only the martian that was not completly a one dimensional villain.

Inaho has the potential to become an anti-hero, killing off Yuki is the obvious way to start developing Inaho as character in that way.

Overall I feel this was the weakest episode.
Aug 23, 2014 1:17 PM

Jun 2013
deadoptimist said:

5) Marito. Did we need that silly scene at all? Just, please, leave him be or give him some development. I dunno why we see him being so relaxed too, since he is at war yet unoperational and also he has met the sister of his dead friend, who said that she blames him for everything.

6) Cruhteo's development. They showed us him beating Sline with electricity, sticks, whip and his own hands. Maybe it was possible to cut on the variety of these objects and let us see him being developped as a character, for example, show us how the count is reassessing his thoughts on Slaine. I think that it could've added some variety and create huge amount of feels.

After rewatching some parts of the episode, I must say that the two best moments was Inaho's answer to the princess thanking him and Saazbaum's haughty "Hm" at the end. Saazbaum did it like a boss - came flying to the enemy's castle, blew off the roof, f** up the owner, took what he needed and flew away. That's how it's done, nice.

The show seems to have done a pretty damn good job of bringing "feels" out of you, based on this thread and the previous ones.
Aug 23, 2014 1:18 PM

Apr 2010
It was nice to see that Cruhteo was a relatively good guy after all.

Aug 23, 2014 1:18 PM

Sep 2010
chickenonthepan said:

She promised Slaine she would carry his prayers of peace. She done and messed up that one. It revealed the origin of her motivations too, so it was good for her to at least get this done.

Slaine wasn't one dimensional, he got his thoughts picked and explored and show himself brave in the face of adversary. The dream she has is noble: peace. He's protecting it because it's worthwhile. He also show for the first time a smug, mocking side in how he handled the torture. His defiance was new. He mocked his captors.

There's going to be "romantic context" because it's typical princess/knight loyalty dynamic.
Aug 23, 2014 1:19 PM

Oct 2007
Maryruss said:
chickenonthepan said:

I will have to disagree, romantic is always welcome. Specially when each other thinks about other in different contexts, is like not explicit what I like most.

The characters are too flat and one note to have any sort of meaningful romance though that doesn't mean it can't happen. Any attempt at it at this stage though would just come across as tokenism to appease the slash pairing fandom with something to chew on.

Keten said:

Saazbaum is just an evil prick in every sense of the word. At the very least he shows some form of intelligence that the rest of the Vers Empire don't seem to have so there's that.

If there's anything this series convinces me of further it's that only the characters that show a complete lack of moral fiber that are allowed to accomplish anything or look particularly clever in a Gen Urobuchi concept show. This episode seems to confirm it yet again and even has a character getting killed off the second he apparently decides to embrace the idea of better moral character and trying to do something just for a change even if it's completely and utterly out of the blue.

I'm almost certain the sole reason that Saazbaum succeeds again and again and is portrayed as smart is that he is by far the most amoral major character in the whole Martian framework while characters like the Emperor and Cruhteo just kind of get the wool pulled over their eyes and completely play into his schemes. This has me thinking that if Inaho can undercut this guy on the amoral scale I'm sure he'll end up doing just fine against him when the time comes.
PeacingOutAug 23, 2014 1:25 PM
Aug 23, 2014 1:21 PM
Oct 2012
Amazing episode. The suspense and emotion from the characters(especially Slaine) is absolutely perfect. I give this episode a 9/10.

Jan 2014
deadoptimist said:

I agree with everything you say, especially this.

Maryruss said:

No, i'm totally fine with romance in mecha anime. As long as they don't abuse fan-service scene and span the little romantic context whole episode. Look how Gundam Unicorn handles the romance and you will see.

This episode solves nothing. No more info about Aldnoah or at least Slaine's father. No more story progress.
Fine, we have Hime and Slaine see each other on different context, but must that span the whole episode?
And finally, it kills off many potentials...

Sep 2013
ex_necross said:

The show seems to have done a pretty damn good job of bringing "feels" out of you, based on this thread and the previous ones.

There's a difference between having feelings for characters in a show and having negative feelings for the show. For example, I could show you a scene where 2 lovers die and it could make you sad which would be "Feels for characters in a show", but then they come back to life and start dancing the hula and then it just ends without explaining what happened. Which of course, would make you question what the hell is going on. (Negative feelings for the show).

Jul 2014
8 Pages, damn, i know i was a bit late but wow.
back to the episode it was nothing special, Hime going all Bruce Lee was kinda dumb.
We get it Slaine is getting tortured, the change of mind in this anime is worse then Inferno Cop's plot twists
Aug 23, 2014 1:22 PM

Mar 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
The characters are too flat and one note to have any sort of meaningful romance though that doesn't mean it can't happen.

There's already plenty of ship tease with Slaine and the Princess. Whatever happens, it can't be worse than Gundam romance.

Maryruss said:
romantic is always welcome.

After watching Stardust Memory, I cannot take anybody who honestly believes this seriously.
Aug 23, 2014 1:23 PM
Apr 2013
ex_necross said:
ollythirteen said:

They showed him getting vaporized inside of the giant beam saber. Are you suggesting that he has a double? Because the man in the scene is undoubtedly dead. Please elaborate.

"Please Elaborate": Dude... Shouko. Okay? Just, Shouko.

(Dat Valvrave Reference)

He's probably dead. The way this show seems to waste characters it wouldn't be strange at all. I mean, they killed off the Martian Princess's Double for christssakes, who does that?!!!

Seriously, though, this show wastes characters. So many people on the martian side with Kata...mecha killed... by a high school student with zero aldnoah (d'you see what I did there? I'm so coooo)

Aug 23, 2014 1:26 PM

Sep 2010
chickenonthepan said:
This episode solves nothing. No more info about Aldnoah or at least Slaine's father. No more story progress.
Fine, we have Hime and Slaine see each other on different context, but must that span the whole episode?
And finally, it kills off many potentials...

Asseylum is kind of an airhead to most things.

Of course things won't be solved or revealed in episode 8 of a 24 episodes show. The second half is supposed to focus more on the Aldnoah. So it's possible we'll just have the Earth crew reaching Russia and trying to contact Mars for the next episodes until it reaches conclusion.
Aug 23, 2014 1:27 PM

Jul 2014
StefanMZ said:
Honestly... someone do something about Inaho's attitude... Seylum should seduce or kiss him.

Please no, I don't like this pairing >.<
Aug 23, 2014 1:31 PM

Jul 2014
Raziel1991 said:
It would be a shame if Crutheo is truly dead, I really wanted to see his mecha, besides it seems he is the only the martian that was not completly a one dimensional villain.

Inaho has the potential to become an anti-hero, killing off Yuki is the obvious way to start developing Inaho as character in that way.

Overall I feel this was the weakest episode.

Uhhh, it's probably with Yuki's dead, he will lose his control :D
Aug 23, 2014 1:31 PM

Jun 2013
ollythirteen said:
ex_necross said:

"Please Elaborate": Dude... Shouko. Okay? Just, Shouko.

(Dat Valvrave Reference)

He's probably dead. The way this show seems to waste characters it wouldn't be strange at all. I mean, they killed off the Martian Princess's Double for christssakes, who does that?!!!

Seriously, though, this show wastes characters. So many people on the martian side with Kata...mecha killed... by a high school student with zero aldnoah (d'you see what I did there? I'm so coooo)

The difference here is they showed his body being disintegrated, while Shouko was never shown.

ex_necross said:

Aug 23, 2014 1:33 PM

Jul 2014
Keten said:
If there is anything this show has proven time and time again, it's that it's absolutely horrendous at characterization.

Sad but true. Beautiful character designs and the acceptance of the need for fanserivice are horribly wasted on underdevelopped characters.

Keten said:
Inaho's answer to the princess did give a bit of insight, albeit not a lot, into his mind... Maybe by what he said, he meant he doesn't actually like fighting in wars... then again who does? Either way I still don't know his goals, likes, or dislikes but what he said to the Princess was alright.

His coldness towards her was a nice touch. She is too pampered. On the other hand, I too didn't understand what he meant by saying that it was only because he had been drafted. He wouldn't have fought then? And what? He would've sat in the corner with civilians? But he takes inititative in every fight and doesn't listen to the orders. It shows that he has motivation and doesn't like to be passive - I don't see him staying away from the fight, since his and his sisters' lives would be endangered anyway.

The only good answer, that I have, is that he wanted to insult the princess. Inaho seems very aggressive towards martians. If that was the case, that was a fine development. Though his attitude towards the officers was martial court-worthy too, so maybe he is simply a quite asshole. Would be the best development, probably.

Keten said:
Saazbaum is just an evil prick in every sense of the word. At the very least he shows some form of intelligence that the rest of the Vers Empire don't seem to have so there's that.t.

Maybe his plotline will be less stupid? There's hope.

ex_necross said:

But it could've done so much more! I have expectations all built up nicely and then the shows leaves them unfullfilled - it's a horrible feeling. Also, yes, as Keten said, there're feelings for characters and feelings for the show itself.
I like Aldnoah, but I see that it has a lot of problems. I post here so much, mostly because I have dropped all the other ongoing shows already and because I'm procrastinating a very boring work.
deadoptimistAug 23, 2014 1:40 PM
Aug 23, 2014 1:38 PM

Mar 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
If there's anything this series convinces me of further it's that only the characters that show a complete lack of moral fiber that are allowed to accomplish anything or look particularly clever in a Gen Urobuchi concept show.

Tsunemori Akane would like a word with you about that.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
This episode seems to confirm it yet again and even has a character getting killed off the second he apparently decides to embrace the idea of better moral character and trying to do something just for a change even if it's completely and utterly out of the blue.

His moral character didn't change at all... he just learned the truth.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
I'm almost certain the sole reason that Saazbaum succeeds again and again and is portrayed as smart is that he is by far the most amoral major character in the whole Martian framework while characters like the Emperor and Cruhteo just kind of get the wool pulled over their eyes and completely play into his schemes. This has me thinking that if Inaho can undercut this guy on the amoral scale I'm sure he'll end up doing just fine against him when the time comes.

Maybe, it's not an unreasonable thesis. But the butcher only wrote enough to set the stage, so who knows.
Aug 23, 2014 1:39 PM

Sep 2013
deadoptimist said:

His coldness towards her was a nice touch. She is too pampered. On the other hand, I too didn't understand what he meant by saying that it was only because he had been drafted. He wouldn't have fought then? And what? He would've sat in the corner with civilians? But he takes inititative in every fight and doesn't listen to the orders. It shows that he has motivation and doesn't like to be passive - I don't see him staying away from the fight, since his and his sisters' lives would be endangered anyway.

The only good answer, that I have, is that he wanted to insult the princess. Inaho seems very aggressive towards martians. If that was the case, that was a fine development. Though his attitude towards the officers was martial court-worthy too, so maybe he is simply a quite asshole. Would be the best development, probably.

Would explain why Slaine hates him so much in that he sort of implied he figures Inaho is just as bad as Cruhteo. Lol... Though that would make me chuckle if behind his near emotionless expressions, his character was just an asshole. I mean he does say pretty sarcastically dickish things sometimes soo...
Aug 23, 2014 1:39 PM

Nov 2010
Well, it's still episode 8 of two cour anime, why people treat a relatively low plot development episode as a sign of the end of the world?

I think it's a good episode, finally bringing a badly needed character development although probably still not as good enough to polish some turds. Yes, there are some wasted potentials/questionable execution :

- I know Slaine being captured by Martians are needed for the plot, but they could have made a reason (for example: something were interrupting them so they have to left that place quickly) for why Inaho and co left Slaine there.
- Princess OOC, knocking down a man on a negotiation lol. What's the purpose of that?
- Martian school characters (except Inaho and probably one of the girl) are still useless for the show. Show would have been better without them.
- That PTSD guy is still very badly executed.
- Cruhteo could have been shown in a more depth before so his action in this episode would be more believable.

However, I think the rest are okay/good. The torture is painful to watch, but I think it's intentional (Yes, probably it could be shortened a bit but it's not a big problem), and I liked the traditional "torture-hapiness" contrast which was shown by princess and Slaine. The plot development in the end is good so far, although I understand that this may lead to some depressing and annoying development later. I don't mind Slaine being too "two dimensional" about Princess, I find it's fitting for his character and he is overall a good Kariya material.

The only thing that I wish is that they could introduce more characters. I hope Cruhteo's death could trigger a good development (probably from a new, smarter character) in Martian's side to show up. I hope they will also introduce a much better Earthling when they (probably) reach Earth HQ. That way A.Z could have a much more interesting development rather than trying to rely constantly on Inaho and Slaine.
Aug 23, 2014 1:40 PM
Feb 2013
Oh, man how could that douch bag Count Cruhteo do that to Slane, so now that he is killed by one of his own, I wonder what will happen to Slaine, now that he is in the hands of that rouge count Saazbaum?
Aug 23, 2014 1:42 PM

Jan 2014
Thess said:

She promised Slaine she would carry his prayers of peace. She done and messed up that one. It revealed the origin of her motivations too, so it was good for her to at least get this done.

Slaine wasn't one dimensional, he got his thoughts picked and explored and show himself brave in the face of adversary. The dream she has is noble: peace. He's protecting it because it's worthwhile. He also show for the first time a smug, mocking side in how he handled the torture. His defiance was new. He mocked his captors.

There's going to be "romantic context" because it's typical princess/knight loyalty dynamic.

As far as the plot shows, Slaine doesn't give shit about "peace" now, all he can think of is the princess.

Thess said:

Asseylum is kind of an airhead to most things.

Of course things won't be solved or revealed in episode 8 of a 24 episodes show. The second half is supposed to focus more on the Aldnoah. So it's possible we'll just have the Earth crew reaching Russia and trying to contact Mars for the next episodes until it reaches conclusion.

What an assumption about Hime, wow. Can you link the official statement that says she is an airhead liek you always did?

One episode devoted to romance subplot and no story progress. I cannot wish for less...
Aug 23, 2014 1:45 PM

Sep 2010
chickenonthepan said:
What an assumption about Hime, wow. Can you link the official statement that says she is an airhead liek you always did?

One episode devoted to romance subplot and no story progress. I cannot wish for less...

She acts like a complete ditz. She's good natured and graceful but she's still a ditz.

The episode progressed: bad guy got Slaine.
Aug 23, 2014 1:51 PM

Nov 2013
ex_necross said:
I have nothing worthwhile to say so I'm just going to put my fingers in my ears and bark incoherently at people who aren't giving a mediocre show 8/10.

Great going there fella. It's not nitpicking pointing out flaws in characterisation and plot which are about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face. Perhaps you should redefine your fictional version of the term 'nitpicking' to something which allots a more proper meaning.

When the show has fairly little going for it outside of high production values there's nothing much else to talk about, if you're not watching this show with rose-tinted goggles I'm pretty sure you can see where most of the 'nitpickers' are coming from. Even pretty hardcore fans of this show I've seen singing it's praises in previous episode discussions are questioning it this episode...
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 23, 2014 1:51 PM

Jul 2014
ex_necross said:

*sigh* I guess, I have to accept it. Unless he has some aldnoah protective field device on him all the time, which is most likely not the case, he must be dead.
That makes me want to drop the series, but I won't for a while.
deadoptimistAug 23, 2014 2:07 PM
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2014

719 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 1:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.