Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 16, 2014 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, that was funny especially with Rei.

Not too much swimming this episode though so the episode felt more relaxing than usual. Never thought the day I get to see swimmers on land. A lot bromance moments though. Oh and Rei was the superstar of this episode. "HAHAHAHA".
Stark700Jul 16, 2014 8:37 AM
Jul 16, 2014 8:55 AM

Jul 2009
I really loved the interactions between Nagisa and Rei this episode! Nagisa is just too cute!!

I like Rin so much more this season!
Jul 16, 2014 9:07 AM

Jul 2010
This episode made me adore Rei even more! Though I was hoping to see more of Sousuke. And LOL with Momotarou obsessing over Gou
Jul 16, 2014 9:10 AM

Jun 2013
That was nice of Rin helping Rei practicing on getting better at swimming strokes.
Jul 16, 2014 9:13 AM

Nov 2012
rei is not my favorite, but still nice to see an episode centered around him!
the comedy was A+ this episode.
especially this face:
Jul 16, 2014 9:20 AM

Dec 2011
Episode dedicated to Rei, I approve~
But yeah, it was like a filler episode, but still enjoyable.
Jul 16, 2014 9:21 AM

Apr 2013
Didn't expect Rei to be taking swimming lessons from Rin. It's nice to see that he can swim all of the strokes now.
Momotaro's face after he learned that the cookies weren't made by Gou was hilarious. He looked so disappointed.
Jul 16, 2014 9:23 AM

Sep 2008
Whooo!
Episode with Rei as MC!
I don't really fan of him, but this was pretty cool!

Nagisa is such troll xD
But that scene with him and Rei was just awkward to watch xD

Mikoshiba JR. <3
Rin is also big troll like Nagisa :D
But really like him in this episode :)

Iwatobi team is just so funny!
That acting! xD

Lot of good moments in this episode!

Even when I thought I will dislike this episode,
I really liked it and start to like Rei xD
Jul 16, 2014 9:23 AM

Aug 2012
This episode was hilarious. That relay lol.
It was focused on Rei, but it had a lot of the other members too, especially Gou, which pleases me a ton since she's my favorite character.

She was really funny this episode with the love books and assuming Rei was in love with the track captain XP

I liked the scene between her and Haru at the pool since it mirrors a similar scene in Season 1. She may not know exactly what he wants but it's nice she's trying to help.

Rei started learning other stroke styles, so I'm interested in how that will play out later.

We got a lot of Iwatobi in this episode, but it seems like next episode will take a different focus.
Jul 16, 2014 9:46 AM

Apr 2010
"Oh yeah, you prefer the bottom too, don't you?"

Great episode, Rei was one of he chars I disliked (along with Nitori) in the first season but I'm starting to like him more and more. His swimming was so hilarious, in the bottom of the pool :D

Glad to see they didn't ruin this show with the coming of second season which sometimes happens to other series :)
Jul 16, 2014 9:51 AM

May 2014
Definitely got a bit scared when I saw the title of the episode, glad Rei's sticking around! And Rin helping him out was really sweet, I'm finally starting to like him more.

Funniest part for me was definitely Nagisa, Haru and Makoto trying to seem 'surprised' by Rei's swimming LOL don't go into acting, boys!
episkeysJul 16, 2014 1:52 PM
Jul 16, 2014 9:51 AM

Aug 2009
REI DESERVED THIS BEAUTIFUL EPISODE. God I am so emotionally invested in this sweetheart. He definitely needed to be in the limelight after what he has done last season.
I'm so happy that they finally brought up Haru and Rin's gratitude to Rei. Especially Haru! We all know that he doesn't talk much when it's not about water but he expressed a lot of things this episode... for the sake of Rei. Oh friendship!

I love Rei so much. Hnngh.
Jul 16, 2014 9:58 AM
Apr 2014
Finally, an episode dedicated to Rei. He's a golden child.

And Reigisa. *______* <333333
Jul 16, 2014 10:03 AM
Apr 2014
I very much enjoyed having an episode centered around Rei. However, as Ravivi said, there was a good balance with the other characters as well.

The land relay was fun to watch. Rei shined there! Haru as a slow runner is also pretty funny.

Rei reminds me of myself and my insecurities. Like him, butterfly is my saving grace in the pool with the rest of my strokes being fairly fast at best (free) to kinda bad (backstroke) to completely hopeless at worst (breastroke). I was always insecure about this, so Rei's problems resonate with me.

Oh my god. The show now has invoked gayness... even if it was misdirected. Gou's reaction to Rei's apparent attraction to the track captain made me laugh so hard.

Very interesting watching a major running gag of the show start to disappear. Rin teaching back, breast, and free not only does that, but it also shows how Rin has mellowed out and become more compassionate compared to the first season. Not in my wildest dreams would I have imagined this happening last year.

Rei giving Rin the cookies... ah... <3 He really worked hard for Rin.

Those acting skills. Pitiful and hilarious. Gou made me laugh a ton this episode.

Very enjoyable episode overall. Hopefully we will have more Sousuke soon... :)
Jul 16, 2014 10:07 AM

May 2014
The comedy was brilliant in this episode! xD
This season I'm loving Rin sooo much more too!
I'm still rolling laughing at Momotarou too xD

OTPs:
Makoto x Haruka
Rin x Rei
Nagisa x Gou
Jul 16, 2014 10:10 AM

Aug 2011
"Cleavage" x'D

And like everyone else I love Rin so much more this season~
Jul 16, 2014 10:10 AM

Nov 2013
Despite his jogging practice, Haru is just very slow on land.
Loved all the misunderstandings in this episode, especially Gou thinking Rei is dating the track team captain.
Momotarou ogling Rin's "cleavage" xD
Jul 16, 2014 10:15 AM

Apr 2013
meh comedy
felt like a filler
Jul 16, 2014 10:18 AM

Apr 2013
Nice to have an episode centered around Rei, he was so cute at the end.
Jul 16, 2014 10:19 AM

Feb 2010
Glad to see a little Rei appreciation. This episode was actually pretty funny, I'm already enjoying this season a lot more than the first.
Jul 16, 2014 10:40 AM

Jul 2013
I would've never guessed what Rei was up to after practice. That was neat.

*swoons* Rin and Sousuke sharing a room together?? Give me another fantasy please!
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jul 16, 2014 10:47 AM

Apr 2007
haha I knew those cookies were made by Rei when I first saw them (poor devastated Momo). Despite that I was surprised Rin was teaching him to swim the other strokes, nice that he's able to learn them. Favorite characters ftw~

And yay Sousuke backstory next week. Maybe I'll actually like him o/
MonochromeJul 16, 2014 10:52 AM
Jul 16, 2014 10:52 AM

Jul 2014
Are they ever ever gonna get new members for the club?
How do I signature?
Jul 16, 2014 10:52 AM

Apr 2009
I really enjoyed this episode. I'm glad that episode was mostly about Rei, he's so cute haha :D And I had OTP moments at the end when I saw that Rei was secretly training with Rin <3
Jul 16, 2014 11:03 AM

May 2013
Awesome quotes from this episode:
"The wind is also alive."
"I only swim freestyle and relays."
"Cleavage!"

I don't know what would happen if they actually gained new members.

Dem cookies.
I therefore conclude, Gou may represent the female fans while Momotarou may represent the male fans.

More Rei in this episode! So nice of Rin to help him out! (^_^)
Although it seems like a tense episode coming up focused on Sousuke.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jul 16, 2014 11:19 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Rei's precise calculations are always amazing! Too bad, still no new members for the swimming club..

That misunderstanding of Rei having a girlfriend was pretty funny, especially how Gou brought him an arsenal of love related book!

Emergency meeting scene was nice with how everyone wanted Rei to stay in the team. Such good teammates. (^^)

Nice seeing Rei taking lesson from Rin and that he got the hang of different stroke styles.
Haru and the others trying to emphasize their amazement of Rei doing the strokes was hilarious!

Poor Momotarou.. Thought those homemade cookies were made by Gou. XD

Good episode. Still not liking the Sousuke guy. Next episode will feature their past. Should be interesting.

Jul 16, 2014 11:23 AM

Dec 2012
I really loved this episode! Seeing more of Rei, feels like we rarely get to see him.

And not to mention what he did for Rin & Haru, finally it was addressed.

Jul 16, 2014 11:32 AM

Nov 2012
Finally another Rei-centric episode! I didn't expect that Rin would be training him.
Jul 16, 2014 11:47 AM

Apr 2014
I absolutely love how the characters are becoming more multifaceted in this season. The character development is a huge plus to this. The expansion upon the basic personalities that were introduced to us is really giving me a sense of these characters having personalities that could be real. Nagisa isn't just bright and bubbly, but also determined to keep the team together [ tries to get to the bottom of problems and resolve any issues ]. Rei isn't just serious, he's also determined and he can have fun, too [ asks Rin to help him, really wants to train hard so that he can do the best he can to contribute to the team]. Makoto was introduced to us as caring and somewhat submissive, but now we see him as prepared to take initiative [ he stops Haru from jumping into the pool, tells the swim club what to do, is the one to decide to confront Rei about whatever he happens to be doing]. I'm probably most impressed with Haruka's character development. In season one, I thought his character was alright, but lacked more to it than a basic tsundere personality. However, now we see him actually talking, and encouraging others, as well as trying to solve some problems on his own. I feel as though the team became a lot closer, overall.

Momotarou Mikoshiba is still as adorable as always. And I'm glad we get to see a different side of Rin, which is really just a side to the determined and somewhat bitter personality he had in the first season. Now he still has that passion to train hard and succeed, but it's reflecting upon others, too. While I still don't like Sousuke as a character, I do have to appreciate the close friendship between him and Rin; I mean, shipping and whatnot aside, this anime really does focus a lot on the bonds of friendship, and Sousuke and Rin convey that idea pretty well.

Sometimes, though, I wish I wasn't a swimmer when I watch this. Looking at everyone's gorgeous swimming makes me jealous and I feel massive amounts of pity for Rei because in my opinion, butterfly is a difficult and tiring stroke, and he's stuck doing it for the rest of his swimming career.

But compliments to KyoAni for switching things up a bit and making this into a story with not only beautifully animated water and people, but also characters with vibrant and interesting personalities. It's much more than muscles and shipping this time around. I don't believe that Free! is the best anime, but it's most certainly a good one this season.

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Jul 16, 2014 11:51 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Momotarou is hilarious, he's such a spaz that even Nitori doesn't know how to deal with him lol.

Wow, what a surprise that Rei's "errand" was taking lessons from Rin! I like how Rin considers Rei as a friend too ^^ Everyone's forced surprised reactions was so great, good thing Rei was too excited to show them that he didn't realize they already knew. So happy for Rei that he finally learned to swim different strokes~
Jul 16, 2014 12:04 PM

Sep 2010
I loved this episode!
I haven't been the biggest fan of Rei before, but I'm growing to like him more and more this season! I was worried about the angst to come this episode, but surprisingly, I enjoyed it a great lot.
I honestly didn't expect Rin to be helping Rei, thought Rei was going to that newly opened swim club, but I loved this part. And also Rei baking cookies (and then Mikoshiba jr enjoying them) for him!
I can see a lot of character development this season, especially Haru. My heart melted when he said "I only swim free... and relays"!

Also lol @ Rei feeling like Picasso during arts class:
Jul 16, 2014 12:10 PM
Aug 2011
That was absolutely beautiful.

FINALLY a much needed "we need you with us Rei- you said you were going to swim with us" episode.
This guy gave it all up to have Rin swimming and they've just kind of disregarded that fact up until now.
To even having Rin basically acknowledging that he couldn't have swam alongside Haru if it wasn't for Rei was pretty dang great.

Would have liked a more direct form of thanks but you're talking about a guy who previously was angsty about everything so this was definately progress from Rin if we're ever going to see it.

You crazy fucks calling this a filler.
This shit right here has finally has begun smoothing over what some people hated from the last season. As in this was absolutely necessary. Not my problem if you're too dense to see that.

Bonus points for cleavage and bottom bunks BOTTOM BUNKS- loooooooool you slay me KyoAni.
standJul 16, 2014 12:13 PM
Jul 16, 2014 12:17 PM

May 2013
Nice job of Rei being able to do all of the swimming strokes. Lol'd at the cleavage part.
Jul 16, 2014 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
Reiiii! he can finally swim now :')

this episode was just adorable all around. And hilarious. (Momotarou's too funny)
Jul 16, 2014 12:41 PM

Apr 2014
Yay, Makoto development! Captain desu yo!

Rei and Rin, actual pals??!!? Yes. (⌒▽⌒)~☆

Demerits for lack of Sousuke. RAGE. i kid

tl;dr cute episode. Though I hope this isn't the extent of Nagisa's development. Abandonment issues? talk to Sousuke

I thought this episode would curb the crave for the next, but the next looks even more relevant.
Jul 16, 2014 12:41 PM

Mar 2014
This episode was pretty funny because of Momotarou. He's no doubt going on one of my favorite characters list in Free!.
Jul 16, 2014 1:00 PM

Feb 2009
Rin is such an awesome character this season! He and Haru are in a tie for my favorite, he's developed so much from Season 1.
Jul 16, 2014 1:05 PM

Mar 2014
Man I love it when Rei laughs out loud

Great episode, Rei's importance to the team needed to be adressed. And I love Rin for helping him out
Jul 16, 2014 1:10 PM

Aug 2008
Cute episode. Needs more Gou.
Jul 16, 2014 1:13 PM

Jun 2014
*thinking about Rin's cleavage*
Jul 16, 2014 1:15 PM

Jul 2014
Track Rei is best Rei.
Jul 16, 2014 1:20 PM

Feb 2014
This episode brought back so many hilarious memories from the first season when they tried to teach Rei to swim the first time, i just don't know why he kept sinking!
Rin was so nice helping Rei to swim! Really didn't expect that from him. Rei is such a cutie too, working hard so he didn't let the team down.
"Even if we lose by 100 points, there's still a chance a meteor will strike the other team's bench in the last second"

- Kuroko Tetsuya
Jul 16, 2014 1:22 PM

Aug 2011
I'm so happy whenever we see a side of Nagisa and Rei that we don't usually see. Nagisa actually getting upset (instead of his usual smiling face) was great to see! And Rei's character development, showing how he really wants to do his best for the team (not just to be beautiful), was very refreshing.
Jul 16, 2014 1:25 PM
Jul 2014
I liked this episode :) it centered around Rei this time and we got to see what he was up to everyday after school. He may not be my favorite character of the bunch but he definitely is an interesting one :D
I can't wait what's gonna happen next week!
Jul 16, 2014 1:31 PM

Feb 2012
Well at least it was funny at some parts.
Jul 16, 2014 1:49 PM

Feb 2014
kyasai said:
This episode was pretty funny because of Momotarou. He's no doubt going on one of my favorite characters list in Free!.

Seems like Gou and Momo would make the perfect match xD

Nice episode in all :) Now I'm looking forward to getting to know more about Sousuke. I already like him a lot, he seems to be such a loyal friend to Rin. I really like that. Maybe SousukeRin (how to call this ship btw?) will win the first place in my shipping preferences list next week? :D
L had a poster of Norman in his room
Jul 16, 2014 1:58 PM

Apr 2014
nagirei is real.
you dare deny that i'm one kawaii ass bitch?
Jul 16, 2014 2:12 PM

Jan 2014
This episode gave me feels. It was nice to have an episode about Rei. A nice change.
I love Makoto in captain mode hhahaha.
Jul 16, 2014 2:22 PM
Mar 2012
That was such a great Rei episode.
Jul 16, 2014 2:35 PM
May 2014
Free! just keeps getting better and better it seems. I'm really excited about the rest of this season. It's awesome to see such character development in everyone. Of course seeing the character development of Rin between last season and now is most impressive, but the interactions this season between the Iwatobi guys have also really been refreshing and enlightening.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.