Forum Settings
Forums

What do your friends/family think about you watching anime?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 19, 2014 10:05 PM
Aug 2012
bash107 said:
when i play video games my dad always tells me that i'm a grown up and not 10 years old kid. so if he saw me watching anime he will faint and lose all his respect towards me
You should beat him up. Then he will respect you.
May 19, 2014 10:15 PM
Feb 2014
PartyPeasant said:
bash107 said:
when i play video games my dad always tells me that i'm a grown up and not 10 years old kid. so if he saw me watching anime he will faint and lose all his respect towards me
You should beat him up. Then he will respect you.

most people who see him feel his fearsome aura so unfortunately i can't
May 19, 2014 10:17 PM

Aug 2013
It either boils down to those who are already familiar with anime and respond positively, those who're cool with it, and those who don't give a fuck. I've never received any negative responses.
May 19, 2014 10:33 PM

Oct 2012
My family thinks nothing wrong of it.

They don't even try to question the figurines etc. that I purchase from time to time. (Except for the price ofc)
May 22, 2014 4:15 PM

Sep 2012
My mom thinks it's a "waste of time".
May 22, 2014 7:21 PM
Feb 2013
No one in my family has anything negative to say about anime and a couple of my friends are fans of anime themselves (not all of them, just some).
May 22, 2014 7:58 PM

Dec 2013
My Dad hates it while my Mom actually likes the story's of most of the anime I watch. My Brother also watch's anime (though I watch way more than he does). A few of my friends watch anime and the rest view it as part of my personality at this point.
May 22, 2014 8:00 PM

Apr 2013
Doflamingo45 said:
My mom thinks it's a "waste of time".
It kind of is.
May 22, 2014 8:12 PM

Oct 2011
My friends and family are actually cool with me watching anime.
Sure there are some weeb jokes here and there but its a joke me and all my other friends do whenever someone mentions anime (majority of my friends watch or used to watch anime)
May 22, 2014 8:24 PM

Aug 2013
Zeally said:
My dad is a racist, and he detests the Japanese soo... no need to explain there. My friends don't know.

Your friends don't know about their friend's hobby? Either you have some shitty friends who will bully you at the drop of a hat, or you guys aren't even close enough to be called "friends".
May 27, 2014 12:11 AM

May 2010
My mom thinks I'm weird , she keeps telling me that I act like a child everytime I am watching

My dad also loves anime I think ? he is kinda obsessed with naruto -,-

Same goes with my big bro , he is obsessed with Katekyo Hitman reborn

Well for the case of my friends , some of them says that Anime is just like cartoon but some them also likes to watch anime
May 27, 2014 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
Neither my family nor my friends know.
I live in a small town and everybody knows everything about everyone in small towns.

It's not really in my best interest for people in my town to know I'm into anime and manga.
May 27, 2014 10:24 AM
Dec 2013
i love this thread.

my parents think anime's for kids, my sister likes it, and only one of my friends is into anime/manga.

i need to find more friends who like this stuff >_>
May 27, 2014 10:25 AM

Jul 2012
My mother thinks I am still a kid.
My father doesn't care, he thinks I am watching mature cartoons. (HA)
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jun 4, 2014 11:14 AM

Dec 2013
I was with my parents grocery shopping and when we got home, my 14 year old sister was watching Panty And Stocking in the living room and my parents couldn't care less about what she was watching. There's also been a few other times where I've woken up to find my mom and said sister watching Rozario Plus Vampire. My family's cool with it except for the fact they all hate madoka
YouAreNotSugoiJun 4, 2014 3:31 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2014 11:19 AM

Feb 2013
my family doesnt think anything special... i even convinced my mom to watch madoka
Jun 4, 2014 11:20 AM

Jan 2012
romagia said:
my family doesnt think anything special... i even convinced my mom to watch madoka

If i watch madoka my father will shoot me probably.

Jun 4, 2014 11:22 AM
Aug 2012
AnimeKazegake said:
romagia said:

Does he not like good shows?
Jun 4, 2014 11:24 AM

Jan 2012
WatchingYouPost said:
AnimeKazegake said:
romagia said:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35200000/Puella-Magi-Madoka-Magica-puella-magi-madoka-magica-35295445-2560-1378.jpg

wtf grow up man.

Jun 4, 2014 11:28 AM

Oct 2013
My family never liked things like anime, but then I got my dad into dbz and told him it was the same thing. Ever since he's watched some of the series I have. It's cool to know your family will accept you having such taste. Most kids anymore do watch anime to some extent so it's not all that serious of a thing. Unless of course you have those parents that punish you for not getting straight A's in school.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Jun 4, 2014 11:30 AM

Feb 2013
AnimeKazegake said:
WatchingYouPost said:
AnimeKazegake said:
romagia said:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35200000/Puella-Magi-Madoka-Magica-puella-magi-madoka-magica-35295445-2560-1378.jpg

wtf grow up man.
>mature anime for hardcore watchers such as myself

i thought that people who jump to conclusions and say (colorful art style) anime are for kids are a myth :S
romagiaJun 4, 2014 11:36 AM
Jun 4, 2014 11:30 AM

Aug 2012
Well, nothing really. There's the occasional comment about me laughing while watching anime, but other than that, nothing more.

I even managed to get my mom to watch Ranma 1/2 with me, and when my father noticed the occasional tit flash, my mom was like "It's just a cartoon". Well, at least it didn't end badly :P
What do you think? The meaning of our existence. Why do we continue to live?
~Iris Rain Umbrella, my favorite robot
Jun 4, 2014 11:32 AM

Jan 2014
My parents simply don't know that I watch anime. It's not like they care either, so.
Jun 4, 2014 11:33 AM

Nov 2012
They don't care and never bring it up.
Jun 4, 2014 11:37 AM

Nov 2013
They don't even know I watch anime.

I can see you

Jun 4, 2014 11:37 AM

Oct 2013
all my family thinks is im watching some weird show in Japanese or some type of cartoon.
"What a pitty, for such a intelligent young lady to be so brain washed by the organization...but ill be happy to respond to your lecture, unfortunately the real world isnt always so black and white..little claymore" Teresa Of The Faint Smile.

https://www.facebook.com/InappropriateOperator
Jun 4, 2014 3:04 PM

Nov 2013
They don't really care, they think of it as my entertainment, they watch TV, I watch anime, simple.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jun 4, 2014 3:19 PM

Nov 2012
My family don't care, and I don't really know why they would anyway, lol. My mum has watched some anime with me. The ones I have on DVD, anyway. My aunt's picked up some of those "how to draw manga" books for me before, which I thought was really sweet even if I don't really draw in that style... not anymore, anyway.
Jun 4, 2014 3:22 PM

Aug 2012
Thread Merged

AD is having a mergorama today.
Jun 4, 2014 3:24 PM

Oct 2013
MellowJello said:
Thread Merged

AD is having a mergorama today.

lol. I've noticed.

Sticking to this threads discussion my friends also watch anime so that's not a problem, though I watch way more than they do.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Jun 4, 2014 6:05 PM

Dec 2013
Mum thinks it's stupid and says she doesn't like to see those Chinese cartoons. lol

Dad will watch it to say dumb things about boobs when me and my sis are watching stuff like Magi or Fairy Tail. :/ He watches some of the comedy ones and also seinen.

Most of my other cousins watch anime, but just popular ones; they don't know others beside Naruto and Bleach and such.

My friends just think of it as who I am. They like the idea of some of the anime but don't really watch it.
Jun 7, 2014 7:35 AM

Jan 2014
Well, my father puts on the most God-awful stereotypical Japanese accent whenever he sees me watching it and my mother couldn't care less.

My extended family: I don't actually know them that well, so... yeah.

As for my friends, well... what can I say? At least two people I know watch anime, but I hardly see them. With the rest of 'em (the ones I actually see everyday) I'm ridiculed whenever the topic comes up and told to "go and watch you're anime" whenever I try to defend it as though it's some sort of comeback. The irony being that that's exactly what I'd like to do.

Overall I don't think anyone hates me for it, so I'm happy with that. So long as they don't winge when anime comes up I won't winge when football (that's soccer to you 'Muricans out there) is mentioned... I hate football
DieJaegermeisterJun 7, 2014 7:44 AM
Jun 7, 2014 10:08 AM

Apr 2013
My family, meh they are perfectly fine as long as I don't go too far
Jun 7, 2014 10:35 AM

Dec 2012
I have a few friends that watch anime, and so does my brother. I've been watching anime for more than 7 years, so my enjoyment of it has kind of rubbed off on them. My family doesn't have an issue with it whatsoever, I actually had them watch Wolf Children with me a second time; my mom got teary eyed at the end due to the strong message that movie has. Was amazing.
Uber_DewberJun 7, 2014 10:40 AM
Jun 7, 2014 10:44 AM

Apr 2014
My friends don't know since the topic has never come up, my parents know I watch some anime but they're convinced that I've seen less than ten anime so they don't know how much I do watch it.
Jun 7, 2014 10:58 AM

Jul 2010
I have never met anyone who would look at me differently for watching anime. 12 years ago, people around me mostly didnt know anything about anime so I lent them some dvd's, vhs tapes and later I supplied them with some anime on hdd's and they were very happy. I lived only with my mother and she didn't care about anime but she was happy when I started to learn japanese because of anime. I had one good friend in high school and we were watching anime together very often. We sometimes meet even now, 5 years after graduation and still talk about anime happily ^^ At work, I dont have anyone to talk to about anime so lately I have been discusing anime only on the internet.
Jun 7, 2014 1:37 PM

Nov 2012
I tried to show my dad some stuff just like youknow a episode of Death Note but he just doesn't give a fuck about what I do. My mom wouldn't understand anyway so..
Jun 7, 2014 1:46 PM
Jul 2013
Well my best friend approves it,she has watched some anime I talked her about because she found them interesting,but she is not obsessed because she doesn't like spending much time on the computer.My family doesn't have a problem either,actually,my little sister loves anime now too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2014 4:08 PM

Jun 2014
They watch some with me, like steins gate and attack on Titan, and love the heck out of them.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jun 8, 2014 12:44 AM

Nov 2013
my sister and parents don't give any fuck about anime
"what are u watching? oh cartoon." just like that.

some of my cousin watch anime too.

my friend is one of my anime source. i copy a lot from him.
Jun 8, 2014 10:00 AM

Sep 2011
My father is a Dragon Ball fan, and one day I made him watch Code Geass with me.
My mom doesn't like so much, she says to me such things like" read more books", etc.
But both of them say to me stop watching so much anime. They come and say "anime again?!" (at least they don't call cartoon).

I have cousins that watch some animes, but they in the most play games.
My sister used to watch a lot of anime with me, but she stopped a little to study and do other things.

Maybe all my school knows I watch anime, some days I wear anime t-shirts to go there.
I have two BFF's (one watched 2 animes and the other rarelly watch some), they have american idols and don't really care talk with me about animes, and I don't care talk with they about other things too.
I have one friend who gone to japan and will try to be a seiyuu.
AnaPaulaGohJun 9, 2014 12:29 PM
Jun 8, 2014 10:02 AM

Sep 2013
My dad doesnt like seeing me watching chinese cartoons. As for my friends, they also watch anime so no problem there.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jun 8, 2014 10:14 AM

Jun 2014
My Mom watches Anime every now and then, and of course, has no problem with me watching it. She especially loves "Slayers."

Jun 8, 2014 10:17 AM
Jun 2014
My parents don't know. I'm not really that close with them and they don't know my hobbies.

My sister doesn't know. Same reason as above.

Most of my friends don't know, either. I only talk about things I know they're mutually interested in. Usually that just comes down to work, because I live with the people I work with.

One friend though has the same taste in anime, and he's probably the only person in my company that knows I watch anime.
Jun 8, 2014 10:19 AM

Oct 2012
they think I'm cool, I'm referred to as ramen-ninja for whatever reason
Jun 8, 2014 10:22 AM

Jun 2014
They don't give a fuck. I occasionally mention a show I've watched, but I tend to only talk about anime if the topic has been brought up by someone else.
Jun 8, 2014 10:54 AM

Feb 2013
They don't even care XD They don't even mention anime to me, despite knowing i watch it, it's funny actually XD My brother had watched a few, but not a lot, so *shrugs*.

As for friends, most of them watch anime anyways, so no problems there!
Jun 9, 2014 9:57 AM

Jun 2014
Friends? What friends, I watch anime.

I seriously don't have any friends. My family is really supportive of my interests, my brother is even going to write and draw manga with me when he gets out of college.
Pikachu 3DS XL Friend Code: 3454 - 0450 - 4009
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Pokemon
Jun 9, 2014 1:43 PM

Aug 2010
My father doesn't care if I watch it.
My mother(being born and raised in Japan) used to watch anime so she doesn't care.
My younger brother watches A LOT of anime. More then me probably.
My younger step brother watches anime.
I'm not sure if the rest of my family watches anime.
4 of my good friends watch anime but not as much as me. They only watched 70 series at most. I got them into it.

I don't really tell anyone I watch anime unless they "ask me", which I know they won't lol.

Jun 9, 2014 2:35 PM

Apr 2014
The friends that I've recommended it to have thoroughly enjoyed it. As far as my father goes he thinks I'm a wasting my time with cartoons. He'll never understand... ;_;
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» help

arhttr - 30 minutes ago

3 by Archean-Return »»
12 seconds ago

» What's the most disturbing/scary hentai you've seen? ( 1 2 )

Mini_usagi - May 20, 2020

79 by DesuMaiden »»
12 minutes ago

» Favorite Anime Insert Song

LowIqSalty - 2 hours ago

5 by pk8list »»
20 minutes ago

» Yearly reminder that Lenalee Lee reinvented battle shounen girls

Catalano - 1 hour ago

5 by Merve2Love »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the harem genre trashy? ( 1 2 )

JustSomeone15 - May 19

64 by DesuMaiden »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.