Forum Settings
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 6, 2014 10:12 AM
Jan 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Kind of a disappointing ending if this is really the last chapter.
May 6, 2014 12:36 PM

Jul 2012
i actually really enjoyed this chapter and even teared up at one point, because nakamura's always been my favorite character and to see her side of story was enough to devastate me emotionally.

i'm hearing some people say that this all means she could be schizophrenic, i'm not sure what to think about that but it would add interesting depth and meaning to her actions if so.

was really actually hoping it would conclude with kasuga and nakamura going out for tea or something and acting normal, but i'm not complaining. this is still a better ending than usual and a nice touch, so.
754754hfvc3gg4cMay 6, 2014 12:40 PM
May 7, 2014 4:49 AM
Aug 2013
This better not be the ending, Lol.

I love Nakamura introspection and all, but if this is the ending, this means that the author is leaving what happened to Kagusa after he saw The Flower of Evil again completely open. I hate open endings.

No, this needs chapter 58.
May 7, 2014 12:29 PM
Jan 2014
Synopsis anyone?
May 7, 2014 2:59 PM

Jul 2011
i don't think there's anything further for the author to add. we saw how this all happened for nakamura, which really helps round off the whole experience for her. this manga was about one event and its fallout (the theft of the gym clothes). it isn't a 60-volume shounen where the characters are your best friends and you follow their whole lives. kasuga saw his future, and he saw nakamura stuck in it like a thorn. i liked it a lot. also loved the colour at the end as a nod to mizumaru's 'a train at the end of summer'.
May 7, 2014 5:04 PM
Jan 2013
Yoostis said:
Synopsis anyone?

It's basically the beginning of AnH from Nakamura's perspective up until the scene where she confronts Kasuga on his way home
May 11, 2014 10:05 PM
Jan 2014
If you need everything spelled out for you and dislike subtlety, I can understand why someone would hate this ending and this series as a result. For me Aku no Hana is complete. There are no lose-strings.

This ending finally let's us look into Nakamura's mind. She really was "hentai" (perverse), she was lonely, she had demons. You could easily infer she may even have had psychological disorders (delusional, schizophrenic). Based on Chp 53, her mom mentioning she's been calm lately, and considering her poor memory, her preoccupation with the Sun, it's not a stretch to believe she was on anti-psychotic meds.

Kasuga was weird and Nakamura realized that. She thought maybe Kasuga could would be able to understand her, her feelings of disgust at the world, her loneliness, what she was going through with that voice inside her saying "I want out". She wanted him to "tear down his walls", to embrace what she thought they both were. Kasuga was in love with Nakamura and wanted to help her get "to the other side of the mountain", which he thought a public suicide would accomplish. However he just wasn't at her level. She realized no one will able to understand her, not even Kasuga.

In the end, Nakamura couldn't make the world as she wanted it, so she had to adapt and become normal. Kasuga on the other hand really matures and we're encouraged to assume he get's a grip on living a fulfilling life.

copying and pasting some info from http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/106827773/#106858554

Interview with the author, only available in Chinese.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2388666476

>Both Nakamura and Tokiwa are based on author's wife
>Saeki is supposed to be a "very popular and normal" girl. Author hates this kind of girl the most personally. She is the kind of girl who tries to make everyone likes her. The author wants to ask those who like Saeki "You're not being serious that you actually like this kind of personality, right?"
>Family is an important element in AnK
>Nakamura represents the purest and the most honest form. "If she wants to revolt to the teacher for the sake of it, wouldn't it just be easier to use violence? You see, this alone proves how pure she is "She wasn't trying to be mean when she said "bug". This is how she naturally is.
>Nakamura is not a tsundere
>Hentai is a very special word in AnK, it doesn't mean acts like "stealing panties"
>"If Kasuga really is a genius or pervert, the best ending for him would be suicide, but that wouldn't be what I wanted to write." "If the protagonist didn't perform his ability in his life, what would he become? That's what I wanted to write." Basically the author thought that the first part of AnK was already well expressed in so many literature. The second part of AnK was what he actually wanted to write.
>"Nakamura was very lovely!" when she cried
>Author loves hentai manga. But he wanted to make Nakamura mentally hentai, not physically hentai
>Saeki was a symbol of the mountain, and mountain was a symbol of mother. (Remember both Nakamura and Kasuga wanted to escape the mountain)
>Tokiwa has the same desire as Nakamura deep inside her heart. But the different thing between them is that Tokiwa "accepted the society".
>AnK is a autobiography of the author
May 12, 2014 3:10 AM
Aug 2013
Well, I'll put some thought into this. While some people aren't fine with subtletly, and those people would definitely dislike Aku no Hana, I find there is a limit to it; and by that, I mean when does it reach the point when it passes subtletly and it becomes non-existance?

Subtle endings are fine, and you can even call it that -- but they can't, under any circumstances, feel unsatisfactory.

And alot of people are going to find this unsatisfactory. Not because the story is subtle, but because we are simply not given everything.

For instance, the greatest mystery in the manga; why Nakamura pushed Kagusa, and did so again when they met at the beach? Its not getting resolved. People can speculate to the end of time, but the manga doesn't give you an answer. It's probably because she thought Kagusa would be better off as a normal person plus given that she's clearly in love with him and doesn't want him to die, in a Kizumonogatari-like situation, pushed him. But, again, that's just one opinion, and when you can really just insert opinions in open-plot-points, people feel dissatisfied.

But beyond that, chapter 57 isn't an ending. Really, you could even see it as an epilogue or bonus chapter. A very, very good one, but not necessary one, it's not an appropriate follow-up to chapter 56. We didn't need this told to us, we already knew chapter 57 before we read it. It was a very cool addition, but something that ould've been better used chapters ago, or better yet, in an epilogue.
Chapter 56 is the "ending". And that's where people will find issue, because it's, to be honest, lacking in dramatic climax and punch. In other words, I admit that it lacks a factor of satisfaction, and leaves many things unresolved. I'm afraid that this ending will, indeed, haunt AnH as something that people thought could've been better. I thought it could've been better myself.

And yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

All in all, not a bad ending, but it could've used more conclusiveness, therefore more satisfaction. One more chapter would've been better, and chapter 57 would've been an amazing and perfect epilogue.
WolfeysteinMay 12, 2014 5:34 AM
May 15, 2014 5:49 AM
Mar 2013
Hey,i dont know when or where the final chapter is released i didn't see it but that penultimate one consists of Kasuga dreaming of possible futures whether good or bad and ends with him waking up and is about to write his story whether this will alter his fate or lead to his unknown future that awaits him.

and i say this before and i am going to say it again Shūzō Oshimi is known for his dark take on romance manga's especially one that are considered psychological.
May 15, 2014 11:28 PM

Mar 2012
I swear to god this author had no clue how to end this manga.
May 16, 2014 5:15 AM
Feb 2012
Personally I didn't like it too much. And this is not about me missing the subtle hints yadda yadda, it just felt out of place. Yes, getting a glimpse of what's going on in Nakamura's mind was nice and in a sense needed. It made us understand her a bit better and what finding someone similar to her really meant to Nakamura. But then why not build on it? Why not expand the chapter a little and give us another 30 pages worth of Nakamura? Why not jump through the major events of the story and give us her view, ultimately ending with the scene at the beach and what she's up to now. Has she really come to terms with the world, or rather, the society? Is there still something left in her? A feeling of desire? One of regret perhaps?
Seeing how this manga basically revolved around a pair of protagonists, we sure didn't get to see much of the other in the latter half of the story. And that, fellow readers, is a real shame.

Mod Edit: Removed citing of manga reading site.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
May 17, 2014 8:17 AM
Jan 2013
Chapter 57 can be considered chapter 0.
You learn how Nakamura thinks, how she reacts, and how she sees the world.
It's a chapter so you can answer that 'Why is she doing that?' question that everyone had at least one time during this series.
It's a chapter that you understand that, way before the original storyline, she already had a problem. It's not something that she developed and after the time skip someone noticed that.
You discover some sort of schizophrenia from her, and you get that she thinks Kasuga is some sort of a link between her and the real world, mostly because she thinks he is the same, like 'ok, i don't give a fuck here and there, i just don't think i fit here, because everything is out of control and i can't handle it alone' (you get it from the first colour page, you see that she is drowning on her own disease and kasuga appears, and she is brought back to the real world).
And that's the starting point of all.

Now talking about Chapter 56.
It has a deep meaning, its not some weird ass dream, that he wakes up and start writing about it.
I think that he realizes now is the time for him to move on, and 'write down' his own future. It's something like 'i'm leaving the past where it is, so i can write a future, that i don't know what will be like, but i'm willing to give it a try'.
I loved that. You see him growing up, and we get to a point where he really grown up, and that's something completely beautiful. You see how he felt, all his problems. And all his problems are real, like a first love problem, a rebel age problem, family problems, moving on, leaving the past, finding a new way to live, being socially accepted, finding the love of her life, getting courage to make it and etc. Ok, not everybody climbs a hill in a bike during a storm, and got to get two girls see you naked and stuff like that, but well, you got my point.
This chapter isn't about the flower leading him and all the meaning of that. Its a chapter of him moving on and following his mind, not the flowers. And that's how he ends the series.
TyrelMay 19, 2014 7:58 PM
May 17, 2014 10:24 AM
Mar 2013
JuneauX said:
Chapter 57 can be considered chapter 0.
You learn how Nakamura thinks, how she reacts, and how she sees the world.
It's a chapter so you can answer that 'Why is she doing that?' question that everyone had at least one time during this series.
It's a chapter that you understand that, way before the original storyline, she already had a problem. It's not something that she developed and after the time skip someone noticed that.
You discover some sort of schizophrenia from her, and you get that she thinks Kasuga is some sort of a link between her and the real world, mostly because she thinks he is the same, like 'ok, i don't give a fuck here and there, i just don't think i fit here, because everything is out of control and i can't handle it alone' (you get it from the first colour page, you see that she is drowning on her own disease and kasuga appears, and she is brought back to the real world).
And that's the starting point of all.

Now talking about Chapter 56.
It has a deep meaning, its not some weird ass dream, that he wakes up and start writing about it.
I think that he realizes now is the time for him to move on, and 'write down' his own future. It's something like 'i'm leaving the past where it is, so i can write a future, that i don't know what will be like, but i'm willing to give it a try'.
I loved that. You see him growing up, and we get to a point where he really grown up, and that's something completely beautiful. You see how he felt, all his problems. And all his problems are real, like a first love problem, a rebel age problem, family problems, moving on, leaving the past, finding a new way to live, being socially accepted, finding the love of her life, getting courage to make it and etc. Ok, not everybody climbs a hill in a bike during a storm, and got to get two girls see you naked and stuff like that, but well, you got my point.
This chapter isn't about the flower leading him and all the meaning of that. Its a chapter of him moving on and following his mind, not the flowers. And that's how he ends the series.

You may have a point about chapter 57 especially the part about chapter 56 which represents that Kasuga is about make his own path and his own future.
and once again is say this before and i say it again Shūzō Oshimi is known for his dark take on romance manga's especially ones that are considered psychological and the surroundings of life itself
TyrelMay 19, 2014 7:59 PM
May 19, 2014 7:07 PM

Apr 2013
I'm kinda disappointed to say the least. I kinda want more.
May 19, 2014 7:33 PM
Mar 2012
That was really disappointing, I expected at least more from this series.
May 19, 2014 7:34 PM

Sep 2011
It was interesting seeing thing from Nakamura's prospective. So, I guess Kasuga's dream from the last chapter was the future? In the end Aku no hana is one of my favorite and one of the best mana's ever.
May 19, 2014 7:43 PM

Nov 2011
>What are you doing?
What the hell, that's it?

Just lowered this from 9 --- > 7. Seriously, what the hell. Disappointing ending. I expected a bit more.
May 19, 2014 7:55 PM

Dec 2012
Great ending. I also loved chapter 56. I'm definitely a fan of the author. Everything feels complete.

9/10.
May 19, 2014 7:57 PM

Feb 2009
The series quickly went downhill. I think it was time to end it, at least for me, there's no deep meaning other than the author's lack of will to make something good as the first part of the manga.
I liked the first timeskip, but it should've ended there.

Sadly I'm going to rate it 4/10. I loved the manga, but the author killed it bit by bit.
May 19, 2014 8:00 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Cleaned
Don't ask where to read the manga or provide links to said material.
May 19, 2014 8:23 PM

Oct 2013
I liked the ending, I see Aku no Hana as a bildungsroman (a.k.a. comig-of-age)

Instead of showing us an absolute ending Shuzou shows us in the last arc how Kasuga starts to accepting himself and growing as a person, as well as Nakamura having a good life and being just fine, I think her development came when she interfered in Takao's suicide, whe saw nothing about her for a long time neither about Nanako but we saw how the three of them became more consistent people, even if Nanako stayed as a "bitch" he grew and was honest about herself, Takao found someone to love and to be himself.

Chap 56 was indeed the last chapter, it was an open ending, not the best, that is why I like it, because it tries to be realist.

Chap 57 was an interesting one because we see Nakamura's motives and we can relate a bit more to her, I think Nakamura and Saeki needed a more defined background and the art at the begining of the manga wasn't the best, so 8/10

Still an amazing manga
May 19, 2014 8:30 PM

Dec 2013
Rachmaninow said:
Personally I didn't like it too much. And this is not about me missing the subtle hints yadda yadda, it just felt out of place. Yes, getting a glimpse of what's going on in Nakamura's mind was nice and in a sense needed. It made us understand her a bit better and what finding someone similar to her really meant to Nakamura. But then why not build on it? Why not expand the chapter a little and give us another 30 pages worth of Nakamura? Why not jump through the major events of the story and give us her view, ultimately ending with the scene at the beach and what she's up to now. Has she really come to terms with the world, or rather, the society? Is there still something left in her? A feeling of desire? One of regret perhaps?
Seeing how this manga basically revolved around a pair of protagonists, we sure didn't get to see much of the other in the latter half of the story. And that, fellow readers, is a real shame.

Mod Edit: Removed citing of manga reading site.

I agree with a lot of this. I still enjoyed the series but I really want to know what happened to nakamura during their time apart and what made her change to the extent that she did. It left me feeling unfulfilled and like I was left hanging. I still enjoyed it though but a 7/10 for me.
Examining one series under the magnifying glass at a time.
May 19, 2014 9:01 PM

Nov 2013
That ending was garbage.
May 19, 2014 9:21 PM

Feb 2013
The ending was disappointing but I still enjoyed the manga. I'll read it again when all of the volumes are out in english.
May 19, 2014 9:28 PM

Apr 2011
Idk
May 19, 2014 10:06 PM

Aug 2013
I don't know how I feel about this.
wow gay
May 19, 2014 10:30 PM

Dec 2012
I feel like people didn't get what the author meant. The actual conclusion and ending too the story was Chapter 56.

To quote others here:

I mean for the people who are disappointed enough, to drop their score below 8, what did you exactly want? the story is complete, and chapter 56 was a very good ending to the story and chapter 57 was a great thematic ending to the author's work.
May 19, 2014 10:41 PM
Apr 2011
Chapter 55 is the real ending. chapter 56 and 57 are just epilogues for Kasuga and Nakamura.

Anyway it is a shame the anime sucked so bad. If it was handled by a decent and NOT SELFISH director then the show could have been a cult classic. I bet we will be seeing Nakamura figmas if they only used the original art style from the manga. *sigh...So much potential and it's wasted by a selfish director.
May 19, 2014 10:52 PM

Feb 2014
Wow just wow. I'm left speechless.

Any way ,that explains why Nakamura was the way she was before.

Sigh. Great chapter. I'm gonna miss this manga.

Now on to reading his other work.
The higher I get , The lower I'll sink.

May 19, 2014 11:26 PM

Oct 2013
I don't know how I feel about this. I can see some of the merits I suppose, but definitely unsatisfying. I think I can rate this better if I just think of Ch 55 as the end. 9/10 in the end for me
May 19, 2014 11:36 PM

May 2013
Well, that was interesting. Not an ending that I was expecting at all. Anyways, this was a really good manga to read.
May 19, 2014 11:48 PM

Aug 2013
Kind of a disappointing ending, huh...
Oh well. That doesn't change the fact that I still enjoyed this a lot.
May 20, 2014 1:05 AM

Jul 2012
Meh, great at the beginning, bad at the end. I'm disappointed. Same thing as Oyasumi Punpun.
May 20, 2014 1:49 AM

Aug 2013
Ummm... OK... I'm not sure this last chapter explained anything for me. Does all the blackness and flies represent what Nakamura is actually seeing? If so, this would represent some serious mental illness. Or, is the blackness and flies just a metaphor for the disdain she feels about the society she lives in. (small town, cliques, gossip, teenage boys who only think about sex, do gooders, etc.) Maybe it's a little of column A and a little of column B. Not sure...

I can't really buy into the "it was entirely a mental illness" theory. I always thought it was more of a "teen angst, suffocating in a small town, surrounded by people I despise" sort of thing. Then again, she did ask Kasuga to remove his skin and started digging into his chest. So who knows...

And in the end, what difference does it make. This is what makes chapter 57 kind of sucky for me. No new insight...

Looking back at chapter 56...

Wolfeystein pointed this out and I can see it now. The dream represented two paths. In the first half, Kasuga's a normal guy. In the second half, he's in pursuit of becoming a writer and possibly Nakamura. In one translation of chapter 55, Kasuga's professor said, "Baudelaire spent much of his life in pursuit." I'm not quite sure what that was referring to. Jeanne Duval? Becoming a great writer? The "other side"? I'm sure it's something along those lines.

Overall, what kills this manga for me was how slow the second half was compared to the first half. If it had better pacing, I think the ending in chapter 56 would have been fine. Ending on chapter 57 took what little wind there was out of the sails. Don't get me wrong though... I still like this manga.
May 20, 2014 2:36 AM

Dec 2012
A bit conflicted about the way this story turned out. It's not a matter of subtleties or symbolism, I love that stuff and eat it right up (hell I like Kami Inai Nichiyoubi). But I feel like there were more interesting ways to reach this conclusion. Ever since the high school time skip, I feel like it just decided to take the safe path to exploring Kasuga's coming of age when the earlier stages of the story set up much more creative means of exploring each character's psyche.

By no means am I disappointed with the end result, but I feel like this was masterpiece material at some point. I could really connect to Kasuga's disconnection from society after the high school time skip. I wasn't expecting some epic descent into madness and chaos with the return of Saeki and Nakamura, but again it just felt like it uneventfully faded away before I knew it.

Now on the other side of the coin, I do think that this manga was well done and seeing things from Nakamura's perspective at the end added to my intrigue with these characters. I bet this chapter would have been a real jaw dropper animated. A one of a kind journey through very conflicted and damaged people. I'll probably have to give the themes a bit more thought on the side.

Overall an 8.5/10, although I don't know which way I want to go my MAL score. Still too conflicted to decide.
May 20, 2014 8:54 AM
Dec 2013
I thought this was a good last chapter.
Of course it is not the real last chapter, chapter 56 is.
This should therefore not be considered a follow-up.
This chapter was just to make us understand why Nakamura pushed him off, and what was actually happening in her life.
Like the other guy said, pervert is a very special word in this manga.
I think it means something like showing your true self.
Every person in the world has something weird about them. Pretty much everyone however does not dare to show this, because then they become an outcast.
So much even, that they won't even indulge in such behavior secretly, because society tells them that it's bad and weird.
When Nakamura saw Kasuga sniffing those panties, she saw another potential pervert.
She then tried to get him to break his own walls, and become a full-fledged pervert like her.
But this did not work out, because the reason for Kasuga's public acts of perversion (with perversion I mean showing yourself) were most likely not really him.
He clearly did it because he loved Nakamura, and she did not think that that was an acceptable drive for doing those things.
There shouldn't be a drive to do those things.
Your feelings of shame and your need to be accepted should just not exist, which was what Nakamura had.
Shamelessness also linking back to perversion.
She then pushed him off because he was not a pervert, and he wouldn't ever be.

This final chapter gave me a lot of insight on Nakamura and the reasoning behind her actions.
This was a very fitting final chapter in my opinion, because it reveals the reasoning behind all of Nakamura's actions, and ties up all loose ends.
Of course, it is a bit of speculation, but many stories push you into a certain direction of speculation, because they want you to think about the story.
Aku no Hana is the same in this regard.
May 20, 2014 9:11 AM
Dec 2013
ravagestorm said:
Chapter 55 is the real ending. chapter 56 and 57 are just epilogues for Kasuga and Nakamura.

Anyway it is a shame the anime sucked so bad. If it was handled by a decent and NOT SELFISH director then the show could have been a cult classic. I bet we will be seeing Nakamura figmas if they only used the original art style from the manga. *sigh...So much potential and it's wasted by a selfish director.

I think that chapter 56 is more of an ending than chapter 55.
56 has a lot of nice symbolism, and it also shows how the flower of evil is not gone from his life.
It also makes the final crucial comparison to Baudelaire.
Even if it is a dream, I think that it wasn't so much "this is your future" as it was "you're not done".
You can clearly see how the flower of evil (which I believe is supposed to be Nakamura) is not yet gone from his life, and even though it wilted and little parts of it had an effect on all the people around him, most of the petals went into a girl I believe to be his daughter, representing that he still longs for Nakamura.
In the end it shows us that the person he would dedicate his stories to in the notebook was Nakamura, not Tokiwa.
56 didn't show the future, but it gave us insight into his subconscious, which ties up a lot of questions for the future we might have, and it also explains a lot about how is old unstable self still lives inside him.
May 20, 2014 10:46 AM
Oct 2012
Interesting ending, really enjoyed the series overall. It sort of plateaued a bit down the stretch but it was compelling all the way through. Looking forward to see how Boku wa Mari no Naka ends now.
May 20, 2014 1:28 PM
May 2014
davyjones635 said:
I thought this was a good last chapter.
Of course it is not the real last chapter, chapter 56 is.
This should therefore not be considered a follow-up.
This chapter was just to make us understand why Nakamura pushed him off, and what was actually happening in her life.
Like the other guy said, pervert is a very special word in this manga.
I think it means something like showing your true self.
Every person in the world has something weird about them. Pretty much everyone however does not dare to show this, because then they become an outcast.
So much even, that they won't even indulge in such behavior secretly, because society tells them that it's bad and weird.
When Nakamura saw Kasuga sniffing those panties, she saw another potential pervert.
She then tried to get him to break his own walls, and become a full-fledged pervert like her.
But this did not work out, because the reason for Kasuga's public acts of perversion (with perversion I mean showing yourself) were most likely not really him.
He clearly did it because he loved Nakamura, and she did not think that that was an acceptable drive for doing those things.
There shouldn't be a drive to do those things.
Your feelings of shame and your need to be accepted should just not exist, which was what Nakamura had.
Shamelessness also linking back to perversion.
She then pushed him off because he was not a pervert, and he wouldn't ever be.

This final chapter gave me a lot of insight on Nakamura and the reasoning behind her actions.
This was a very fitting final chapter in my opinion, because it reveals the reasoning behind all of Nakamura's actions, and ties up all loose ends.
Of course, it is a bit of speculation, but many stories push you into a certain direction of speculation, because they want you to think about the story.
Aku no Hana is the same in this regard.

Exactly this.

I thought 56, and the second half of ANH did nakamura an injustice. The dream in 56, whilst maybe symbolic, is nothing but a dream. She may be kasuga's jean duvalle, his inspiration to write, but that consigns her to the same league as saeki at the beginning of the story... I.e. rather than a rounded whole person he loved her as a symbol of what she represented... His femme fatale... His muse. He hasn't moved on at all! Even at the end he can't understand why she does the things she does. She's closed to him.. Out of reach.

So in dreaming this reality where nakamura is reunited with her father, and then goes off to the big city, he absolves himself of any connection with nakamura. He's giving himself permission to write. Permission to not feel guilty, or responsible, for nakamura s predicament. He even absolves himself of any responsibility for saeki's "downfall" by imagining her happy, with her surrogate Kasuga, reuniting with her long lost school friend. It's a fantasy ending.

This is why I think it seems that part 2 is inconsistent with part 1. Part 1 seems to be about subverting the idea of the idealised woman, represented by saeki, and to which nakamura tries to break him out of his delusion... she says hey, saeki is a woman... and shes a sexual being. And part 2 seems to be about him rebuilding himself, and part of that is to put saeki inverted up onto her pedestal.

Shuzouu talks about how the mountains represent the mother... I wondered whether there wasn't a lesbian subtext.. That what nakamura really wanted, was to be reunited with her mother.

Nakamura, for all her talk, seemed mainly happy to watch Kasuga deviate and experience deviancy through him. There was no hint, until she finally snapped (in part because of kasugas actions, and those of the townspeople) when she was forced into action, so I thought her actions deserved to be explored more fully.
KeaiMay 20, 2014 1:37 PM
May 20, 2014 2:08 PM
Dec 2013
Keai said:

Exactly this.

I thought 56, and the second half of ANH did nakamura an injustice. The dream in 56, whilst maybe symbolic, is nothing but a dream. She may be kasuga's jean duvalle, his inspiration to write, but that consigns her to the same league as saeki at the beginning of the story... I.e. rather than a rounded whole person he loved her as a symbol of what she represented... His femme fatale... His muse. He hasn't moved on at all! Even at the end he can't understand why she does the things she does. She's closed to him.. Out of reach.

So in dreaming this reality where nakamura is reunited with her father, and then goes off to the big city, he absolves himself of any connection with nakamura. He's giving himself permission to write. Permission to not feel guilty, or responsible, for nakamura s predicament. He even absolves himself of any responsibility for saeki's "downfall" by imagining her happy, with her surrogate Kasuga, reuniting with her long lost school friend. It's a fantasy ending.

This is why I think it seems that part 2 is inconsistent with part 1. Part 1 seems to be about subverting the idea of the idealised woman, represented by saeki, and to which nakamura tries to break him out of his delusion... she says hey, saeki is a woman... and shes a sexual being. And part 2 seems to be about him rebuilding himself, and part of that is to put saeki inverted up onto her pedestal.

Shuzouu talks about how the mountains represent the mother... I wondered whether there wasn't a lesbian subtext.. That what nakamura really wanted, was to be reunited with her mother.

Nakamura, for all her talk, seemed mainly happy to watch Kasuga deviate and experience deviancy through him. There was no hint, until she finally snapped (in part because of kasugas actions, and those of the townspeople) when she was forced into action, so I thought her actions deserved to be explored more fully.

Precisely.
In the end Kasuga was just a boy completely blinded by love, and the reason why he ends up writing is because he still does not understand Nakamura.
I completely agree with you.
Part 1 seems to be about self destruction, while part 2 is about the process of healing himself.
Only because of his self destruction he realized that there was something at his core that he had not noticed before, something he could never get rid off.
Saeki is a type of girl that society approves of a lot. The ultimate shit-eater. You then see that she completely changes into a type of deviant because of love, and how it makes her do things she would not normally do.
At this point I think Nakamura understood that Kasuga was the same.
In the end it seems to be a story about self realization.
Or at least that's what I make of it.
May 20, 2014 5:12 PM

Jan 2012
I really love this manga and the ending.
I love the endings where they leave it to you to piece together and it's not handed to you on a plate
May 20, 2014 7:53 PM

Sep 2011
WTF was this... no continuation of chapter 56...?

Overall a 7.5/10 series.
May 20, 2014 9:32 PM

Oct 2013
really enjoyed that series
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
May 21, 2014 12:34 AM

Apr 2012
I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL
May 21, 2014 3:47 AM
May 2014
MegaUltraTom said:

copying and pasting some info from http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/106827773/#106858554

Interview with the author, only available in Chinese.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2388666476

>"If Kasuga really is a genius or pervert, the best ending for him would be suicide, but that wouldn't be what I wanted to write." "If the protagonist didn't perform his ability in his life, what would he become? That's what I wanted to write." Basically the author thought that the first part of AnK was already well expressed in so many literature. The second part of AnK was what he actually wanted to write.

Does anybody know such literature?
I am very grateful for any responses.
May 21, 2014 8:09 PM
May 2014
Hi, first: sorry for my bad and poor english

Second, I knew of Aku No Hana months ago because someone recommended the anime to me, I was fascinated and wanted to know everything about this amazing serie. After i knew about manga and started to read it until reaching to last part in two weeks.

But we are here to discuss the final of this incredible serie:

Personally I don't like to think that nakamura was mentally ill because it means that all the things she said was literally (shit face, bag of shit, etc) and loses all the deep and the sense of society criticsm.

I'd like to think that Kasuga, in chapter 56, when he wakes up of his dream, takes a pencil and he is about, not to write, because he has never been able to, he is starting to draw (yes, to draw) because he is holding a pencil.

He is about to draw the story of why nakamura acted like she did, trying to solve his own questions (because nakamura never solved his questions) and trying to give sense to all the things they lived.

Because of that I think the draw style in chapter 57 changes and show to us Nakamura's side (something that the author never did).

But this is a mere interpretation of mine and of curse i'm not saying this have to be true.

Thank you for you discuss about this last chapter, I enjoyed all your points of view about the finale of Aku No hana. Greetings from México.
nakoruru66May 21, 2014 8:28 PM
May 22, 2014 12:59 PM

Jul 2012
MIND=BLOWN
May 22, 2014 7:03 PM

Jun 2012
Man, this series got really cheesy in the last part. I never really liked it too much, but the first part was still pretty good. Aside from all of the awful drawn out panels in the last chapters, this whole thing was a real disappointment. It shouldn't have been dragged on this long. The last chapter was pretty nice though, but it felt out of place after this whole part. What a shame.
получить деньги моего друга
May 22, 2014 8:34 PM

Jan 2013
At the beginning of the manga, I really connected with Kasuga. We've all been kids before, and done reckless things (for me, definitely not to this extent, but the statement still stands). The ending was almost anti-climactic, but I do feel it answered the questions left about Nakamura, so I guess i'll have to let it slide like most others who read it. Still kind of confused about "the dream" and what it symbolized. Did he dream everything in the time skip or only in chapter 56?
May 23, 2014 2:24 AM

Oct 2013
Didn't like the ending. Well, 8/10 overall.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KitKatKaz - Jun 6, 2013

82 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 39 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2013

31 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 37 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 2, 2013

31 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Explicitz - May 14, 2012

85 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 25 Discussion

notsureifsrs - May 14, 2012

38 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 8:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.