Forums
New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 4, 2014 10:44 AM

Jan 2014
everyone is weird in it's own way
May 4, 2014 10:47 AM
Feb 2014
Only the obsessive and obnoxious ones, there's certainly diamonds in the rough though.

I don't mind people being "strange" since everyone is in some way :P
AqutanMay 4, 2014 11:09 AM
May 4, 2014 10:54 AM

Jun 2009
Until I see fujoshi's throwing their underwear at VA's like twilight moms throwing their underwear at Taylor whatsisname. (I swear, if those moms are dads, and they throw their underwear at underage girls, they'd be in jail)

I'm not going to judge.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2014 10:58 AM

Dec 2013
They're only strange if you decide to perceive them as strange.

To quote Breakfast's Club: Everyone is a little bizarre, it's just that some are better at hiding it.

Honestly the vast majority of people I know IRL that are into anime are down to earth if not sociable.
May 4, 2014 12:55 PM
Dec 2013
well,lets see...I avoid contact with other people as much as its possible,Im skinny,wearing glasses,spending my free time on watching anime and reading manga,I collect anime figures eventhough Im in my 20s and Im not very pleasant for the eyes...so,yes.Im strange and stereotypical.
May 4, 2014 2:31 PM

Mar 2014
No, I don't think most people who like anime are 'strange'. BUT. I do know what you mean. The truth is, I don't really know anybody personally who likes anime and fits the description you provided. But I know people who have encountered this breed of anime fan. To be honest, I think we just sort of have to accept that there are people like that EVERYWHERE.
I think there is a reason this anime club you talked about was full of these people. I hate to sound mean, but these 'outcasts' of society are only outcasts because people branded them so due to their interests. Anime is something that many of these kinds of people enjoy, so they form a social group with anime as the epicenter of focus, because it means that they all have at least this ONE thing in common and can talk to each other about it. I mean, isn't that what this whole website is? It's pretty much just a huge, digital version of what these people have created. The difference is, its safer for everybody involved. The 'outcasts' you described, the more 'regular' people, the people who like anime but don't want to reveal this to people (never understood that)... its safer for all these groups, and others, because we don't have to reveal anything. Hell, we don't even have to give our NAMES out. All it requires is for us to sit behind a computer screen, and suddenly everybody turns out to not be so different after all.
So, yes, there are people who like anime that are strange, but there are also people who like video-games that are strange. There are people that like movies who are strange. Strange people are everywhere, you just need to know where to look.
olivuslambusMay 4, 2014 2:40 PM
"If you don't fight, you can't win"- Eren Jaeger
May 4, 2014 2:36 PM

May 2014
I told this girl in my class I hated inuyasha and she completely flipped out on me.Everyone in there stared at me evil eyed like I just cussed her out while I just looked around the room awkwardly.
Also known as the crimson fu...nevermind
May 4, 2014 2:41 PM

Jun 2008
MahouShoujoAnn said:

I go to these cosplay meetings in my region, and I've met some of the most obnoxious people ever there. From people randomly making uncomfortable and sexual comments, from people stealing my food, from people randomly hugging me.

Ugh.. that's what i hate about cons. I mean, just because we share the same interests it doesn't mean that we are instant bff's.
May 4, 2014 2:45 PM

May 2014
I dunno. I've been watching anime since I was a child & I've never really met any strange ass otaku type like I see in animes. But then again I don't go to conventions & shit like that. It may also be different since i live in a ratchet area.
May 4, 2014 2:56 PM
Jan 2014
I have a couple Otaku friends, and most of them are like that. Honestly I hate it. I mean, don't get me wrong, they are nice and stuff, but it's just so stereotypical. They think they know what is best in anime and all about Japanese culture, when 1. they are not even an Asian culture (neither am I) and 2. They name basic anime like Attack on titan and bleach.
May 4, 2014 5:45 PM
Nov 2013
I don't so much have a problem with anime watchers, but like the people that are proud to be otakus and they always have to say "XD" and "NYAA" or whatever else I can't be bothered to type, because I do not wish to get cancer.

Like, my friends and I all watch anime, and enjoy talking about. We have anime blogs. But we aren't obnoxious. It's kind of hit and miss.
May 4, 2014 6:47 PM

Jan 2013
Thats why I never associate myself with other people who watch anime. Because mostly everyone who does seems to be a little off. But I have had some normal friends who also watched anime and were totally fine, they didnt bring it up except on occasion and they didnt get all uppity about it. But everywhere you go there is always going to be that guy that thinks "The Naruto Run" is cool.
May 4, 2014 6:48 PM
Jul 2013
I'd say freaks if being blunt. There are some good people though.

Anime may be filled with a lot of the worst people you'd come across, but it's not as bad as the video game medium.
May 4, 2014 8:33 PM

Aug 2013
Yes! If you go to a high school/college with an existing anime club... don't visit that club. You might be scarred for life by the people you meet, and that is not a joke.
May 4, 2014 8:34 PM

Jan 2013
AlucardRelease said:
I told this girl in my class I hated inuyasha and she completely flipped out on me.Everyone in there stared at me evil eyed like I just cussed her out while I just looked around the room awkwardly.
Ignoring them thinking that ur the devil for having an opinion, ur choice of words was bad. If u say "i hated this show" ppl are gona think ur trying to piss them off. What you should of said instead was "Tried it but i jst didnt get into it". Hopefully if the person ur talking to has common sense they will understand and jst accept it but it seems like these ppl ur describing arent like that.
May 4, 2014 9:25 PM

Aug 2012
yes. most people in general are strange in their own way.
May 6, 2014 6:28 AM

Aug 2012
cabacc2 said:
I agree to some extent.
the people who join anime clubs are often weird social outcasts, thats one of the reasons why I never actually joined a club like this.
I wouldnt say that the majority of anime fans in general is weird.

In conclusion:
People in anime clubs: often
Rest: Probably not

I'm in an anime society and I think I'm normal, or maybe I'm not part of the majority. Well, I suppose I've only been to the opening meet and greet so I can't really judge how 'normal' people in these groups are. I joined because we have a common interest in anime.
May 6, 2014 6:40 AM

Oct 2012
The anime community is comprised of some pretty colorful people, but then again what communities aren't?

May 6, 2014 6:43 AM

Feb 2013
I don't have any friends who watch anime but there are weirdos out there and it doesn't resume only to anime lovers.
Being an anime fan doesn't mean you have to be ''weird''.
I don't consider myself weird, but I guess some people think that because I never talk or say hi to any of my classmates simply because I'm not interested in anyone else besides myself.
May 6, 2014 6:54 AM

Nov 2013
When I talk about anime, it is true that people take me for someone a little bizzarre, but I do not think to be. I think peoples who watch animes are somewhat misunderstood (by cons I must admit that there is really weird otakus, huh) by other (well, I feel it like that). In addition, I have nobody to share my passion in real life .. it frustrates me a little. And when I see that some have anime clubs in their schools and colleges .. I would like to have it so that in France! TT_TT

( ahh, really sorry I just talked to me .. I digress a bit about the basic topic ! ^ ^ ' )
May 6, 2014 6:59 AM

Jan 2013
Azu-nyaaan said:
When I talk about anime, it is true that people take me for someone a little bizzarre, but I do not think to be. I think peoples who watch animes are somewhat misunderstood (by cons I must admit that there is really weird otakus, huh) by other (well, I feel it like that). In addition, I have nobody to share my passion in real life .. it frustrates me a little. And when I see that some have anime clubs in their schools and colleges .. I would like to have it so that in France! TT_TT

( ahh, really sorry I just talked to me .. I digress a bit about the basic topic ! ^ ^ ' )

I'm perhaps the only one who is happy to not be associated with any anime club IRL. A simple topic like 'is moe crap' would turn the club into a battlefield.
I know this because whenever me and my friends have a soccer discussion, and all it needs is for a cheeky one to say 'Club X is shit', and the rest is history.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

May 6, 2014 7:11 AM

Dec 2012
Maybe? I believe people who mostly watch anime are introverts. Gonna make a survey on this one haha...

There are some people whom I observed is that they like to cosplay yet they know to little about anime. From my point of view it totally sucks. There are also some who really dig deep enough to make their lives completely obsessed in anime. Like excessive buying of figures and etc. There are also those who really likes a particular anime and doesn't get tired talking about it again and again.
May 6, 2014 7:21 AM

Dec 2012
Jody32 said:
sweetmilk said:
Maybe? I believe people who mostly watch anime are introverts. Gonna make a survey on this one haha...

There are some people whom I observed is that they like to cosplay yet they know to little about anime. From my point of view it totally sucks. There are also some who really dig deep enough to make their lives completely obsessed in anime. Like excessive buying of figures and etc. There are also those who really likes a particular anime and doesn't get tired talking about it again and again.
What you said about the cosplaying is what I mentioned earlier alongside the fucking annoying anime correlated jargon. ;-;

I miss the days when anime wasn't as popular.
Nahh I didn't read the previous entries. Cool description though.

I watch anime because grew up watching it and and I enjoy it. I just dont like those people who thinks they know something about stuff. i just mostly ignore them. I also think that people who watch anime spend to much time facing the computer. Sometimes I really get tired watching them. but there are also those anime that doesn't really bore me. I can watch them for hours. There are just some that I feel like I want to give up after the first episode. Wahaha Im off topic now.
May 6, 2014 9:02 AM
Apr 2014
Wyzdm said:
Normal fans don't go to anime clubs.

ScazoN said:
Anime clubs are just....WEIRDDDDD.

as hypocritical as it is considering where we are right now I have to agree to those two.

why would I meet up with strangers to talk about anime? I mean if you know those people through whatever way - sure, why not. but everything beyond that is just weird.
May 6, 2014 10:24 AM
Nov 2013
No, I think is strange if you don't watch/know anime. Today I think teenagers, and even adults, watch a lot of cartoons/anime. More than the "normal". Now what was strange IS normal. Of course I don't know a lot of people who have watched more than 100 anime (only in MAL). But I don't know people that don't watch anime either, even if is just Naruto.
May 6, 2014 10:36 AM

Nov 2012
I don't think its fair to typify most anime fans as strange, weird social outcasts. I've met in the anime clubs I've been in ( one in high school, one in college, two adultish clubs after that) I've met a lot of pretty "normal" people that had great hygiene, were not socially awkward, and were very enjoyable to talk to.

My last college roommate was a hardcore anime fan, probably the most hardcore I've seen in real life. But he was also my best friend in college, was extremely socially skilled, had great hygiene , and got into one of the top accounting grad school in the country (so he wasn't some lazy unmotivated slob).

I met some of the nicest and socially competent people I've known in anime clubs , even some that went out of their way to talk to the more socially awkward members in the club, and this make it more likely for them to be more social and friendly towards others. I'm not saying everyone there was like that, but I rarely came across people that would not want to talk to you if you tried to talk to them about anime, or had shitty hygiene, I feel like they were more of the minority in the clubs i was in at least.

I don't think anyone can say what most anime fans are like, because like another poster said before me, there's a large contingent of anime fans you will never see or talk to. The best thing you can really say "in my neighborhood/town/club" or some other smallish setting where you could meet most anime fans in the area (at least the ones willing to come out anyway).

I'd even go as far to say that even what you may call these peoples "strangeness" made them fun to be around. Especially in my college club, there were some people that liked to joke around a lot,and I usually found them pretty funny because they'd joke about nerdy stuff Or anime stuff I usually don't get the chance to talk about in real life.
May 6, 2014 10:44 AM

Feb 2010
Nanashi- said:
Wyzdm said:

ScazoN said:

as hypocritical as it is considering where we are right now I have to agree to those two.

why would I meet up with strangers to talk about anime? I mean if you know those people through whatever way - sure, why not. but everything beyond that is just weird.

Erm why?
It's called getting to know people and it doesn't work if any contact with 'strangers' is seen as weird. You know, you need to start somewhere when you get to know someone. Why not start with a common hobby?
Not to mention that talking to strangers about anime is all we do here on MAL, or at least a lot of us. I'd do it in RL too if my uni wasn't about studying and not about any clubs or whatever (I think that is not common in europe, certainly not where I live).
I probably regret this post by now.
May 6, 2014 10:50 AM
Nov 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Nanashi- said:
Wyzdm said:

ScazoN said:

Erm why?
It's called getting to know people and it doesn't work if any contact with 'strangers' is seen as weird. You know, you need to start somewhere when you get to know someone. Why not start with a common hobby?
Not to mention that talking to strangers about anime is all we do here on MAL, or at least a lot of us. I'd do it in RL too if my uni wasn't about studying and not about any clubs or whatever (I think that is not common in europe, certainly not where I live).

Yeah, that's exactly what we do here on MAL hahaha. Btw, you live in an amazing city. I'm really enjoying Vienna, will spend 3 months here. Yesterday was my first time in the Opera; Faust in the Staatsoper. I really enjoyed. In fact, I'm enjoying everything here. The public transport is magical.
May 6, 2014 11:18 AM

Nov 2013
Of course people who watch anime are strange. But who cares. I find it more strange that people enjoy blacking out every Friday night because that's considered a "good" time or "normal".
May 6, 2014 11:29 AM
Apr 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Nanashi- said:
Wyzdm said:

ScazoN said:

that's why I said it's hypocritical in case you missed that. why it's weird? it's like going to sport event and start talking to random people... not entirely the same but you get the idea.
May 6, 2014 11:44 AM

Feb 2010
Nanashi- said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Nanashi- said:
Wyzdm said:

ScazoN said:

that's why I said it's hypocritical in case you missed that. why it's weird? it's like going to sport event and start talking to random people... not entirely the same but you get the idea.

Well, it just sounds like joining clubs/talking to strangers in general seems to be the issue here more than that it's anime related. Or would you find it less weird to join a club with strangers dedicated to any other hobby?

@Rashkolnikov: Then you've been to the Staatsoper one more time than I have xD. I'm really not the Opera type. Theater yes, but opera not so much.
Anyway, glad you're enjoying it here. Public transportation is indeed awesome. Are you here to study?
Maybe I'll run into you, it's not that big of a city ^^.
May 6, 2014 1:13 PM

May 2014
Its like saying all Germans are Nazis, everyone on my dad's side of the family are Germans, I am over 60% German and none of us are Nazis. I know a lot of German people and none of them are Nazis. If you can't say most Germans are Nazis then you can't say all Otaku are strange, weird, ugly, or outcasts.
3DS Friend Code 3454 - 0540 - 4009
May 6, 2014 1:19 PM

Feb 2010
KingOfPandas said:
Its like saying all Germans are Nazis, everyone on my dad's side of the family are Germans, I am over 60% German and none of us are Nazis. I know a lot of German people and none of them are Nazis. If you can't say most Germans are Nazis then you can't say all Otaku are strange, weird, ugly, or outcasts.

Wow. I'd like to think the percentage of anime fans that can be considered 'strange' is much higher than the percentage of Nazis left in Germany. Unless you define Nazi as including other right-wing people that are not actually Nazis.
There would have been a lot of better examples, almost all of them.
May 6, 2014 1:30 PM

Jun 2013
It's all about shapes. Everyone who watches Anime, isn't a square, most can be triangles, or even circles. Depends completely.
Don't put everyone under the same roof.
May 6, 2014 2:30 PM

May 2011
I co-run an Anime club at my College and I frequent the bigger conventions often with friends. My city must be awesome...? Most are fairly cool about it.

Maybe I just have a different interpretation of what I value in being "normal". Normal is indeed overrated, and can be boring; I value individualism and positives (in many forms). Then again, there are still limits I feel that shouldn't be crossed in certain places and times; norms (unless you're experimenting of course). Isn't that what a club is for though, the right place and time? Though some of the assumptions in this topic do have merit. But we'll get back to that.

Most people are being pointed out because of appearances and/or hygiene. However, that's not strictly tied to expressing love for Anime at all. I guess it can sometimes depend on "who's saying it" as opposed to "what's being said". What if an attractive (in your opinion) and confident individual was acting the same way in an Anime club in a charming/joking way. Bias can hide/show relevant factors.

In playoff season for sports, you should check out the varying tones and challenging of norms in some of the public discussions and places. I'm equally, or a bigger fan of Anime/Manga, and I see no difference when it comes to displaying of passion. In fact, Anime fans are far more obscure/reserved.

The vocal minority (yeah, I agree, they do still exist) may influence one's assumptions. But I say it's not "most", but "some" fans. "Where" matters even more.
Kayaba-Aug 3, 2014 11:36 AM
May 6, 2014 2:49 PM

Dec 2008
Thread cleaned
Removed spam & chatting.
Guys, please don't go off topic or just post a few words. Elaborate on your answers.
May 6, 2014 4:12 PM

Mar 2014
yes most are strange but not all
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
May 6, 2014 6:52 PM

May 2011
Based off of what I've seen from Facebook/ conventions, a lot of these kids are fucking weird. Like who the hell wears an akatsuki robe and a You Mad? shirt unironically. Also, whats with the body odor.

Strictly speaking from someone who was browsing Fatalpulse doujins with a normalfag friend yesterday.
May 10, 2014 4:04 PM
Sep 2013
Not meant as an attack or insult to anyone specifically.
That being said -
Why is anime community, majority of people who watch anime so weird, depraved, juvenile and immature?
The things I see and read on anime forums, it's really mind boggling, makes me wonder whether people are genuinely stupid and need counselling or they're just joking around/"trolling" all the time.
It's as if most had no integrity or morals at all.

I'd really love to know why.
May 10, 2014 4:06 PM

Apr 2012
yes i love incest and other depraved things

herks

May 10, 2014 4:09 PM
Dec 2013
Maybe anime turns people into hooligans...........

I don't know.
May 10, 2014 4:09 PM

Mar 2014
I don't know where you're getting your information from, but you're not trying to insult Mai Waifu, right?
May 10, 2014 4:10 PM
Nov 2008
i don't blame you for opening such a thread op. i've been having a hard time posting on mal lately since there's a significant lack of light hearted threads, they're now usually always about weird depraved topics that i've discussed to death already.

the reason mal is like this is because it's almost time for summer, but exams come first, so there's a lack of younger posters. or moderation is just going crazy.
May 10, 2014 4:11 PM

Nov 2012
You should give me an example of what you read on the forums that bothers you.
Ive read alot that I disagreed with, but nothing ive ever been surprised or bothered by.

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

May 10, 2014 4:12 PM
Jan 2014
I eat kittens for breakfast.

(my moral views are actually quite developed)
May 10, 2014 4:16 PM

Apr 2012
caperock said:
Not meant as an attack or insult to anyone specifically.
That being said -
Why is anime community, majority of people who watch anime so weird, depraved, juvenile and immature?
The things I see and read on anime forums, it's really mind boggling, makes me wonder whether people are genuinely stupid and need counselling or they're just joking around/"trolling" all the time.
It's as if most had no integrity or morals at all.

I'd really love to know why.

What's wrong in being juvenile or immature in our case? Actually, immaturity is subjective, what is that you find as a drawback in our "immaturity"? What's wrong overall with being juvenile?

And wait, being "depraved" now is a bad thing? Why?

I'd say people are like this because 1) being childish is less of a drag and it's also more beneficial to your own self, at least the ones that are truly childish and not ones that act that way 2) being "depraved" just means you like sexual stuff most people don't like, so what? Depravity does not go into illegality most of the times (if at all).

Honestly, people these days don't think logically. Just because society doesn't like it, it doesn't make it wrong.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
May 10, 2014 4:21 PM
Sep 2013
Immahnoob said:
Just because society doesn't like it, it doesn't make it wrong.

That statement makes no sense. Think about it again and apply it to real life scenarios.
May 10, 2014 4:22 PM

Aug 2013
I have a well developed sense of morality and am a borderline pacifist

I'm also a mature woman who carries herself with an air of dignity, most of the time anyway

I've no idea what you're talking about
caperock said:
Immahnoob said:
That statement makes no sense. Think about it again and apply it to real life scenarios.
Noob's statement makes sense

Society doesn't determine morality, is his point
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
May 10, 2014 4:24 PM

Jan 2014
I don't think those things are exclusive to anime communities, OP. Go to any gaming forum and you'll probably see things just as bad, if not worse.
May 10, 2014 4:24 PM

Nov 2012
caperock said:
Immahnoob said:

Yeah your just an close minded individual. Move on everybody.

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

70 by MichaelJackson »»
10 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

16 by cyandaqil »»
15 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

8 by tchitchouan »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

21 by luckyrune »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

31 by 707supremacist »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.