Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 10, 2009 9:21 AM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Gonna watch this with subs when the subs are out, I didn't understand one part.

But nevertheless, this episode was so well done. And Yuuki was pretty awesome, disappearing all the time.

I actually even shed a tear, which is a thing I usually don't do.
SporknessSep 10, 2009 9:36 AM
Sep 11, 2009 1:55 AM

Sep 2007
Hmmmm I don't think they handled Yuuki's death too well. They stretched it for too long and it was too obvious that he was gone by the end. Not to mention the whole creepy bgm at the end just killed the moment.
Sep 11, 2009 7:17 AM

Jul 2008
This felt almost like a ghost/horror story the way how Yuuki always disappeared and reappeared. With a darker setting this would be good stuff. ;)
I also think it was stretched out a bit too much, but that is probably because I figured his death out very early. Truth be told I actually liked that is was streched out like this, because it gave the people who didn't know it yet a chance to understand. These people might have experienced the emotional impact completely different from the rest of us. I also think Mirai needed all of this to say goodbye, considering her mental state. On the truck she just wasn't ready yet.

Additional note: I was right that it was the first "dream" in ep8 that was the reality.
Sep 11, 2009 7:45 AM
Sep 2009
I'm an optimistic person and believed after the episode where Yuki got sick, that he really was better. I ignored all the signs that he wasn't. I noticed after Ep9 that Mari had Yuki's backpack . Then when we see Yuki and his sister on the truck in this ep he has his backpack on. I was like "The director made a mistake and let that slide. Then Yuki started talking about death, and I was like please no. Then through out the episode I was still being optimistic and was hoping it was a dream, or something like that. But then BAM! The final confirmation and I was like NOOOOOOOOO! The whole time I felt miserable and just sad. It's amazing how the creators of this show are able to mess with the viewers emotions like this. This show rocks and I can't wait to see the final episode next week.
Sep 11, 2009 9:05 AM
Oct 2006
Oh, woah. So that's why Mari seemed so depressed during these few eps. I just thought she was really worried about her family. Totally missed all the signs.

They could've done this wayyyy better though.
Sep 11, 2009 9:29 AM

Oct 2007
I don't think it was too stretched. Mirai needed the time to process that he's really dead.

Maah, I wished that Mirai stays oblivious until someone else tells her (maybe her parents) that he's dead. But that would have caused a mental breakdown, I guess xD
Sep 11, 2009 10:48 AM
Mar 2009
Too long for me, everyone knew he was dead since ep 8, except those in denial -.-

That made this ep pretty boring, since nothing happened and the big revelation was something we already knew
Sep 11, 2009 11:46 AM
Sep 2009
If they didn't do it this way it would've been live every anime out there. Just throw the bad in your face.For me I was in denial and kept thinking it was another dream. I wanted to hope so badly that it wasn't so. But the final confirmation was like "damn it"! I can't deny it anymore. It really yanks at your emotions. That's why I love this anime. One more episode left.
Sep 11, 2009 11:54 AM

Jul 2009
Enjoyed This Episode Tho It Was A Tad Bit Boring
Sep 11, 2009 12:32 PM

Feb 2009
Knowing in the first place kinda took the suspense away, but since this is a very short anime they had no choice but to go this route. This should of lasted till the end though, I think they're cutting it short. It lessens the events for the final epd imo.
Sep 11, 2009 12:54 PM
Jun 2009
I'm curious to see how they finish this show off. It was obvious about Yuki for most of the episode though. It's too bad, he was a cute character. So she mets up with her parents and then Mari comes back to return Yuki's bag with the gift inside for their mother. And then closure with Yuki by Mairi writing her essay about how she wants to become a "Robot Nerd" to make robots that can save people, which Yuki loved. It's been a great show so far and I hope the end is satisfying.
Sep 11, 2009 1:26 PM
Jul 2008
As said before, it was obvious since episode 8 that Yuuki was dead but nevertheless I found this episode pretty good. I agree with those who said that it had to strech so much for Mirai to be able to accept her brother's death. She simply could not delude herself any longer in front of so many people that both she and Yuuki knew.

Reading the other posts, I realised that quite a few people were still in denial about his death until the very end. This is actually pretty frightening because it means people can can also be that much in denial in real life (yes I know I've said that before). I just hope that all those who refused to believe in Yuuki's death despite it being so obvious, will learn from this experience and try to be a little more honest with themselves if any real situation.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Sep 11, 2009 1:47 PM

Dec 2008
I, too, agree it was stretched out just a little too long, what with Itsuki asking for Yuuki, going to search for him, coming back, still no Yuuki, going off somewhere again...etc. Other than that, though, I liked this episode. Mirai's slow realization - and even for the viewers, where the clues became increasingly obvious - of Yuuki's death made it quite sad. Not tear-jerking sad, but sad enough that I felt pretty bad for her, knowing what she'd have to go through once Yuuki's death became real to her. The implication that she's lost her mind for a bit, too, would also hit her quite hard, I'd imagine.

kerlyenai said:
Reading the other posts, I realised that quite a few people were still in denial about his death until the very end. This is actually pretty frightening because it means people can can also be that much in denial in real life (yes I know I've said that before). I just hope that all those who refused to believe in Yuuki's death despite it being so obvious, will learn from this experience and try to be a little more honest with themselves if any real situation.

Denial is a frightening thing. However, this is anime, not real life, and in anime, literally anything can happen and it's not uncommon to have a story lead you on in one direction and then turn around and surprise you with something else. Real life, though, doesn't quite go that way xD Besides, not everyone has a psychotic episode after they lose a loved one ^^
Sep 11, 2009 1:52 PM

Aug 2008
I must say I really liked this episode, and after it the first question that comes to my mind is:
Is Yuuki an illusion or a ghost?
Yuuki promised Mirai they would go together to their home, so he's gone together with her like a sort of guardian angel; what makes me think like this is that, if you remember, it was Yuuki that said to Mirai to search more for Mari's daughter, it was him that said to Mirai to go get Itsuki and, during the earthquake at Itsuki's place, it was because Mari grabbed Itsuki and went where Yuuki was standing that they were safe (the part of the house were Mirai and Itsuki were standing/going crumbled).
I'd like to think the Yuuki only Mirai can see is a ghost, I may be wrong, but how can an illusion suggest Mirai to do that kind of things?
What do you think?
Sep 11, 2009 2:17 PM
Mar 2009
Well this episode confirmed the little one's death. Now all the people in-denial can't deny it anymore. I thought it was a pretty good episode.If you noticed progressively throughout each episode, the hints got bigger and bigger and this episode made it the most obvious.

As for how Yuuki died, I think it was by some head trauma he had earlier when he saved Mirai from the falling Tokyo tower. It must have got worse for him through each episode until it took it's toll at the end of episode 7.

R.I.P. Yuuki We will miss you
Sep 11, 2009 2:18 PM

Dec 2008
Koyuki-Kakashi said:
I must say I really liked this episode, and after it the first question that comes to my mind is:
Is Yuuki an illusion or a ghost?
Yuuki promised Mirai they would go together to their home, so he's gone together with her like a sort of guardian angel; what makes me think like this is that, if you remember, it was Yuuki that said to Mirai to search more for Mari's daughter, it was him that said to Mirai to go get Itsuki and, during the earthquake at Itsuki's place, it was because Mari grabbed Itsuki and went where Yuuki was standing that they were safe (the part of the house were Mirai and Itsuki were standing/going crumbled).
I'd like to think the Yuuki only Mirai can see is a ghost, I may be wrong, but how can an illusion suggest Mirai to do that kind of things?
What do you think?

Could go either way, I think. Now that you mention it, Yuuki does seem to be taking a "guardian angel" role. However, illusions really can be very convincing and can do all sorts of things, so I wouldn't be surprised if Mirai had simply a brief psychotic episode from the stress of losing Yuuki.
Sep 11, 2009 2:23 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
again, even though we all know he's dead, it's still pretty painful to watch...

Now, let's see how they will wrap it up in the next episode....

the animation was crappy in this episode once again....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 11, 2009 3:11 PM

May 2009
if Yuuki's dead, how come Mari..at the past episodes after Yuuki got sick; seems like she is also conversating with the two (Yuuki and Mirai)?

is this just a new idea that suddenly struck the directors mind XD

I am formerly known as "AnimePrincezz" on MAL, I change my username to "Rinjii", the Japanese name for my real name.
Sep 11, 2009 3:15 PM

Jul 2009
So Mirari wasn't dreaming at all in Ep 8. Everything was real for the most part.

I was waiting for Yuuki to say he was dead, thought it would have happened at the start of the episode though. BUT having it where they did was just as good.

Since they took Yuuki to the hospital Mari has not addressed Yuuki. Mirari has been the only one to address him directly since then.
Sep 11, 2009 3:52 PM

Sep 2008
I admit, I teared up when Yuuki phased in from nowhere and Mirai had a flashback of him wheeled away.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2009 3:52 PM

May 2008
I found all the ghost disappearances kinda cheesy, but I guess this was the best way to bring it to a gradual close. There's still people who would have been blindsided that haven't paid attention to fan discussions so it's probably for the best.

I was kinda hoping for something more dramatic, but it works. The falling building felt a little sloppy as a way to elevate tension... it was just kinda thrown in there. Maybe they're trying to imply some symbolism where the house crumbling is like her illusions doing the same.... but there would have been better settings for that. I wonder if this scene was originally planned for their own house.

I feel sorry for Itsuki... the director is making him run around looking for his dead friend just to help make a plot point... :-/

At least her parents are alive... and they probably know about Yuuki from the phone message Mari left earlier. It'll be a bit too tearful if Mirai has to try to break it to them. One more ep to go... so expect a reunion, Mari catching up to Mirai, and some powerful statement about rebuilding lives... throw in a flash-forward scene with Mirai and Family crossing the bridge and it'll wrap up nicely.

Rinjii said:
if Yuuki's dead, how come Mari..at the past episodes after Yuuki got sick; seems like she is also conversating with the two (Yuuki and Mirai)?

Watch them again, you'll see that Mari only ever talks/calls/touches Mirai. There are parts where Mirai talks about Yuuki in front of her, but it's easy to interpret those sentences differently. Mari obviously finds it strange that Mirai isn't bawling and in pain, but can't bring herself to confront Mirai about it.

I am a banana.
Sep 11, 2009 4:20 PM

Mar 2009
Pretty good episode imo.
Sep 11, 2009 5:31 PM
Feb 2009
I feel sorry for Mirai since she seem to totally block the moment of Yuki dying earlier. But it seems that Yuki was symbolically acting like a guardian angel for Mirai. Though that bgm during the last scene was a bit creepy, it was a pretty good ep.
Sep 11, 2009 5:32 PM

Nov 2007
That was depressing, he did die in the hospital.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Sep 11, 2009 5:45 PM

Sep 2009
I blame my sister. I was the dense people who didn't realize the hint at episode 8-9s. My sister told me about it and I was like, "NO, YOUR WRONG" "It can't be true!!" Then throughout the whole episode, I saw all those obvious hints and I was like, "dang it all". Oh well, it was an average episode for me. Like other people said, it didn't really give me the whole sadness feeling. I don't know why, but I didn't have much of a reaction. I only felt a little chill in my spine, but that's about it. I usually feel like tears are about to come out during sad situations, but this really didn't do it for me.

Credit to WingZero619 from Animesuki!!
Sep 11, 2009 6:07 PM

Jun 2007
Could have been more dramatic but I did tear up at the end D:
Sep 11, 2009 6:45 PM

Dec 2007
First half was kind of dragged out, it got great when they entered the classroom though.

And heh, the first "dream" sequence from episode 8 was actually reality, while the second one with the doctors exiting the surgery room was actually a dream.
Sep 11, 2009 7:06 PM
Jan 2008
so good. this anime is one of the most realistic shows out there and if people thought anime was just for kids, this show would change their minds. So amazing and sad. By far one of the best shows that came out of it's season. I knew it, but didn't want to believe it. Damn that sucks.
Sep 11, 2009 7:26 PM

Jun 2007
That was well done. These past few episodes, the hints where subtle enough as to not give away the secret right off the bat. I'm happy they left us on our feet.

I'm wondering if Yuuki is a real ghost or really just his sister's own mind showing her what she wants to see and hear. Should be a interesting ending...parents finding out their son died, Mirai having to deal with the fact that her brother's been dead for days, Yuuki going off to the other world, Mari possibly showing up...etc.
Sep 11, 2009 7:36 PM

Oct 2008
wakka9ca said:
again, even though we all know he's dead, it's still pretty painful to watch...

I did tear up a little at that. I'd been in denial about it since the little hospital scene/dream Mirai had...but now it's confirmed. D: Wonder how they'll end it
Sep 11, 2009 7:56 PM

Apr 2008
No wonder i felt it kinda strange how come Yuuki is still there .. guess he really was died

Sep 11, 2009 7:56 PM

Jan 2009
I started crying when she saw his picture in the classroom. *sniffs* It was a very real and very emotional way to view a death in a show.
Sep 11, 2009 8:38 PM
Sep 2008
Funny thing. I had no idea he was dead, but it was hardly denial. I thought from the beginning he needed to die for Mirai to actually grow up. But when it actually came time, I thought the show chickened out and tried to go for a "happier" ending that I would have found less satisfying. On the plus side, that means I actually got to enjoy the episode, with a bit of head-scratching once Yuki started disappearing every other frame. Not too hard to figure out, though.

I might even have to give the show a higher score for that, depending on how they handle the ending.
Sep 11, 2009 8:45 PM

Dec 2008
I felt sorry, but it was too prolonged and a little annoying.
Sep 11, 2009 8:45 PM

Feb 2009
What's with kids these days? Punching people randomly like that...

Okay so Yuuki is officially dead. Lots of tears again.
Sep 11, 2009 8:50 PM

Oct 2007
Minoru said:
I felt sorry, but it was too prolonged and a little annoying.

quite so and the ed feels like after stories.... completely out of place
Sep 11, 2009 8:57 PM

Jan 2009
I thought when they had the building collapse, they were going to kill Yuuki's friend WITH Yuuki and that was when Mirai would have recognized that he was dead.

I'm glad it didn't happen that way. He COULD be an angel instead of an imagined figure.
Sep 11, 2009 9:02 PM

Dec 2008
I enjoyed this episode despite the fact I already knew Yuuki was dead. I guess this anime needed to be short because it would really feel dragged out if it was like 26 episodes or something.
Sep 11, 2009 9:30 PM

Jun 2007
I haven't been on these boards throughout watching this anime so I noticed the hints about him being dead but like someone mentioned above I thought the death was a dream and the part about him being alive was the truth. I wasn't so much in denial as optomistic. But losts of little things didn't make sense to me so that answers that. The final conclusion in this episode about his death I think was drawn out too though.

I've Been Watching Anime for 20 years now. Can you beat that?
Sep 11, 2009 9:39 PM

Jun 2009
^^ yuuki's death was already dragged out, couldn't even imagine how slow 26 episodes would be.

the thing that is funny, though is how there are still some people who didn't know yuuki died. at least mirai was in shock, so she has an excuse. it's not even the fact that they missed the clues or were in some sort of denial. it's just that the majority of those who haven't seen it coming actually like this anime. now, I think this anime is a 5/6 right now, but even I trust it enough to do a proper foreshadowing and get the hints the anime keeps throwing. yuuki being alive would have f*cked up the last two episodes, i don't think anyone wants that.
Sep 11, 2009 9:40 PM

Aug 2009
Just a thought,but, what if the whole part of Yuuki being dead was some sort of Dream in the end?
Sep 11, 2009 9:41 PM

Jul 2008
LOL @ who ever said what happen if she was hallucinating and this was just all a dream in the last episode discussion
Sep 11, 2009 9:46 PM

Aug 2009
ClearSinz said:
LOL @ who ever said what happen if she was hallucinating and this was just all a dream in the last episode discussion

Lol, I had to throw it out there. Most likely, he is dead. I am just curious as to how Episode 11 will turn out. I am ready for either a HUGE twist or a regular ending.
Sep 11, 2009 9:46 PM

Jul 2007
Oh my god, could they have dragged this episode out any longer? Mari understandably tiptoed around it, but the Itsuki kid should have realized something was fucked up halfway through!

Oh, and plot hole, HOW CAN HE BE CARRYING THE BACKPACK?
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Sep 11, 2009 9:48 PM

Aug 2009
Oh, and plot hole, HOW CAN HE BE CARRYING THE BACKPACK?

Very true, lol
Sep 11, 2009 10:09 PM
Jul 2008
The imaginary Yuuki carrying the backpack is not a plot hole. Mirai forgot it when she left Mari and has been imagining him carrying it ever since. Mari has got the real one, as seen at the end of the last episode.
Sep 11, 2009 10:34 PM

Apr 2008
Loved it. Even though I knew he was dead I still loved how they handled this in Mirai's perspective. I loveeeed the flashback clips when she finally realized it. So sad. Definitely a great series.
(minus that little kid's voice in this episode...Yuuki's friend...wanted to strangle him xD)
Sep 11, 2009 10:44 PM

Aug 2009
kerlyenai said:
The imaginary Yuuki carrying the backpack is not a plot hole. Mirai forgot it when she left Mari and has been imagining him carrying it ever since. Mari has got the real one, as seen at the end of the last episode.

That was not the Last Episode. There is one more...
Sep 11, 2009 11:25 PM
Jul 2008
By "last" episode I meant the "previous" one which was episode 9. I'm sorry if I was unclear but I thought it was obvious that "last" episode would mean the last before this one.
Sep 11, 2009 11:40 PM

May 2008
oh how i love the english language...

I am a banana.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

porkypink - Aug 21, 2009

112 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.