Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 5:05 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
There are many reasons why I like this episode so much: for the first time we see a caring, softer side to Sanson where he worries about Marie, and the remainder is an alternately wondrous and nail-bitingly intense rescue mission where Nemo, Jean, Sanson, and Hanson attempt to find a herb for Marie and Nadia in an underwater cavern guarded by a very territorial eel. The latter aspect is superbly plotted and builds to its climax and a rewarding finale. A fine finale for the "Nautilus on the island" arc.
Jan 29, 2012 11:16 PM

Jun 2009
Great episode. At first I was kind of nervous about Anno doing a series like this as I'm used to him doing heavier stuff, but this series has been great so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 23, 2013 12:03 AM

Jun 2010
I like how it steadily ramps up from Marie doing silly things to a comical chase scene to Nemo shooting a man dead and Nadia flipping out (for a decent reason this time).

I also notice that the Neo-Atlantis soldier that Nemo kills is the first one where we can actually see his face, humanizing a very dehumanized foe.
May 4, 2014 9:23 AM

May 2008
I didn't like that scene where they have to wear the underwatersuits. They are using their casual clothes instead of a special thin suit or something specialized for the underwatersuit. The hilarious thing is, that the captain has his hat on plus his uniform even while wearing an underwatersuit *facepalm*.
Sep 19, 2016 7:10 AM

Jan 2010
This is about what I expected from Nadia: Secret of Blue Water. This episode was all about the exploration of the seas, the introduction of unknown marine life, and the things which technology could do.

Though, I have two observations. First, the anime first began with a love of flight, as well as a promise by Jean to take Nadia back to her home. Now it's about sea exploration and dealing with Neo Atlantis. I wonder how this'll come full circle, if at all. Second, I wonder what would have happened if this anime were a Ghibli project instead of Gainax. The diving moments probably would have been quite amazing, though it may have been more reminiscent of Ponyo than anything else. Still an interesting thought though.
Sep 20, 2017 10:36 PM

May 2016
Despite the underwater exploration theme, this was pretty much a filler episode. I am watching the English dub (which I NEVER, EVER do, but I heard great things about this dub and up to now, it has delivered) and Sanson's lines were incredibly cheesy, even when taking into account the fact that his role is mostly a comic relief one. The conflict in this episode was extremely forced and everything was more dramatic than it had any right to be. I think this was the first episode I didn't really like.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Sep 20, 2017 10:54 PM
Jan 2008
Lease_of_Life said:
Despite the underwater exploration theme, this was pretty much a filler episode. I am watching the English dub (which I NEVER, EVER do, but I heard great things about this dub and up to now, it has delivered) and Sanson's lines were incredibly cheesy, even when taking into account the fact that his role is mostly a comic relief one. The conflict in this episode was extremely forced and everything was more dramatic than it had any right to be. I think this was the first episode I didn't really like.

Really? I thought Martin Blacker did a great job with Sanson's character, making him very hysterical and charismatic from the start. I also liked his bit for when he shows concern for Marie. It made me see more of him than just a comic relief character. It caused me to see him as a rich, three-dimensional and even interesting character. Blacker's virtuouso performance was the reason I liked him so much. When he approaches Marie and asks if she's all right then breaks down saying "Can somebody do something FOR her for Heaven's sake, PLEASE?!" I really felt the pain he was going through. It impressed me to see a supposed comic character like Sanson have a bit of depth. Similarly, when he talks with Jean about how he saw his parents die, it caused me to see a side of Sanson I had never seen before. Blacker handles both of those emotional moments very well IMO. Of course he really delivers when he gets to go crazy (notably his rant about FISH, FISH, FISH!!!! in episode 12), but I thought his serious, dramatic moments in this episode were well-delivered, too.

I personally thought this episode was thrilling and dramatic. It brought a lot of tension to the story and honestly didn't feel like filler to me. It may have taken the story off on a detour, but at least it was done with the same kind of intense, edge-of-your-seat action and sense of wonder that the Nautilus episodes are known for. That and the situation was handled very plausibly. I found the scene involving the big eel quite thrilling.

The only really bad filler episodes to beware of are episodes 23-34. THOSE are the ones to avoid, except 30-31.
JTurnerSep 20, 2017 11:04 PM
Sep 21, 2017 2:49 PM

May 2016
JTurner said:
Lease_of_Life said:

Really? I thought Martin Blacker did a great job with Sanson's character, making him very hysterical and charismatic from the start. I also liked his bit for when he shows concern for Marie. It made me see more of him than just a comic relief character. It caused me to see him as a rich, three-dimensional and even interesting character. Blacker's virtuouso performance was the reason I liked him so much. When he approaches Marie and asks if she's all right then breaks down saying "Can somebody do something FOR her for Heaven's sake, PLEASE?!" I really felt the pain he was going through. It impressed me to see a supposed comic character like Sanson have a bit of depth. Similarly, when he talks with Jean about how he saw his parents die, it caused me to see a side of Sanson I had never seen before. Blacker handles both of those emotional moments very well IMO. Of course he really delivers when he gets to go crazy (notably his rant about FISH, FISH, FISH!!!! in episode 12), but I thought his serious, dramatic moments in this episode were well-delivered, too.

I personally thought this episode was thrilling and dramatic. It brought a lot of tension to the story and honestly didn't feel like filler to me. It may have taken the story off on a detour, but at least it was done with the same kind of intense, edge-of-your-seat action and sense of wonder that the Nautilus episodes are known for. That and the situation was handled very plausibly. I found the scene involving the big eel quite thrilling.

The only really bad filler episodes to beware of are episodes 23-34. THOSE are the ones to avoid, except 30-31.

Drama for the sake of drama, with neither character development nor plot advancement. The sickness didn't make any sense, nor where the cure for it is to be found. Contrast with episode 15, whose plot made sense and in which emotions felt genuine.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Nov 16, 2017 3:33 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Booth Sanson and añejo showing their softer side and some great underwater exploration, again referencing 20,000 Leagues under the Sea heavily
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 26, 2018 9:13 AM

Nov 2011
Although I regret that the episode took a different turn from how I imagined it, I did not mind the narrative that has been able to expose the past of some characters that make up the crew of Nautilus and show an unpublished side of Sanson.
May 21, 2018 5:04 PM

May 2012
While there have been a few points that bothered me, this episode blew those all of the "water" (pun intended)... seriously though how or why does a captain let a boy and a lion welp go on such a dangerous mission?
Nov 8, 2018 2:41 AM

Mar 2014
For once, I actually agree with Nadia, and it's nice to see that Captain Nemo listened to reason as well.
Also glad to see they succeeded and everything went well. I have to wonder if this will end up being a bit of growth for Nadia as a character. Will her opinion on Nemo change and will she start to see his difficult choices in a new light?
::End of Transmission::

Mar 15, 2020 1:29 PM

Sep 2018
An episode with a high symbolic value for what it teaches and why it puts on black and white what in the eyes of Jean's character was still unclear: war inevitably leads people to die and whoever faces it must keep it in mind and be ready for any any consequence.
Apr 13, 2020 12:06 AM

Jan 2014
This episode certainly jumped a bit from the last but there was still a good amount of enjoyment to be had and the underwater scenes where very well done as well :D

Man Marie being overcome with a fever of that magnitude (probably contracted it when exploring the island in the previous episode) certainly was heart skipping the little girl has been through so much she deserves to live for many many MANY more years! I did especially like how Sanson rushed to check on her once he heard the news of her condition. Chances are he has grown found of Marie after their daring evasion in the last episode he looked so distraught that he was helpless to do anything to save Marie.

I do find it interesting how Nemo decided to break off the pursuit and shift course to obtain a cure for the fever once he learned that Nadia had contracted it as well (we have already seen numerous hints at a connection between them and this certainly adds to the evidence especially Nadia being 14 years old and the incident with Neo Atlantians being 13 years ago). Electra seemed empty and shatter dwelling on the fact that they change course while their target was so close within heir sights; we also got a pertinent piece of information in that Electra is aiding Nemo to avenge the murder of her loved ones her parents and little brother at the hands of the Neo Atlantians for 13 years (easy to figure as much but still good to know nonetheless) and it seems the elder member of the crew wants to avenge the deaths of his son and grandson as well! I think it is safe to assume the majority of the crew has lost someone they loved to Gargoyle and so they aid Nemo in bringing him down to prevent the realization of his sinister ambitions.

When they were getting ready to dive yes King in a mini suit was funny XD but I agree with Sanson time is a factor here! The diving segments had a nice atmosphere to them and that giant fish that dinicthys was certainly creepy I just imagine a fish with its mouth gaping open trying to shallow its prey. It was nice how Jean and King helped everyone escape and how Nemo saved them at the last moment. Plus, Marie and Nadia made a full recovery thank goodness ^-^

But, a real bright spot from this episode had to come from Nadia although not at first XD her argument about the Nautilus being no better the Gargoyle and just hunting and murdering their topics was stupid to say the least! Nadia you recall all that death, destruction and suffering Gargoyle caused well he is going to do more of that and worse if not stopped and Nemo and his crew are the only ones who have the technology and skills to stand against this threat on humanity and it appears he is prepared to fight to the death so someone must stop him so you do not have a leg to sand on there šŸ¤£ However, I agreed with you on changing course for Marie and you. Plus it was good to see you had a realization at the end that Nemo isn't the monster or murderer you thought he was. I really hope this leads to a permanent lesson being learned and that you see Nemo wants to stop Gargoyle to prevent death and destruction being rained down on humanity.

A nice episode indeed looking forward as to what comes next for our heroes :)

Sep 3, 2020 2:27 PM
May 2020
I was nice to see that the Captain was willing to put life above vengeance. Still, I find it odd that when they went to that reef we neither got to see the animators go crazy animating deep sea life (thought there were a few pretty things) nor did they gather extra medicine. There is great benefit in stocking up (in case Jungle Fever happens again), but they only got just enough to save the two girls. Alas.
Jan 21, 2021 4:07 PM

Feb 2012
It was really heartwarming seeing Sanson care about Marie, at first, I thought it was because if she contracted the disease, he would fear he'd have it to, but as the scene progressed, I think they genuinely bonded last episode when they escaped the Neo Atlantean crab mecha in a minecart.

So for all their advance science, why didn't they quarantine Marie?

Jean, Hanson and Sanson are all full crew members now, for their actions to save Marie and Nadia. Nadia has forgiven Nemo.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 11, 2022 2:09 PM

Feb 2021
That almost felt like a filler but I guess Nadia did learn to be less threatened by Captain Nemo by the end
Feb 14, 4:48 AM
Jul 2017
Why the f*ck did Jean thought bring King along was a good idea?! Not only it was animal endegerment, but it also almost cost both their lifes and the entire mission. And nothing in plot justified this. But aside from that, great episode.
Mar 5, 12:59 PM
Dec 2019
This episode was so stupid really; Aside from the whole idea to bring King in an underwater expedition that obviously ended up endanger him and Jean when King got pulled away by that rope...but even worse than that.

Much worse than that.

The captain decided to quit the pursuit of the enemy despite the operator saying they were 2 MINUTES AWAY from firing distance, TWO MINUTES AWAY, Captain Idiot couldn't spare, I don't know, 10 extra minutes? the tropical fever was going to kill Nadia and Marie in 2 days, not 2 hours, good lord the stupidity...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.