Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2009 9:18 PM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Can't believe it's almost over. Hopefully next episode will be exciting!

I kinda feel sorry for Karin...
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Sep 6, 2009 10:11 PM

Aug 2009
Wow, did not expect that reval about Karin's parents at all. That was tough.

Thank goodness the cliffhanger from last week didn't turn into anything serious

Even more suprising was that even more questions were answered
garfield15 said:
Things left to cover:
Kuniko and Mikuni's parents
Importance (if any) of Sion
Karin's Parents
Even surpasing my expections was that Sion actually did have importance.....okay maybe not "importance" but we did find out why he acts like he does and he did reconcile with his brother. And we got the big reveal about Karin's parents, which I said last episode that I thought they just weren't going to show up. Well they did....in a really screwed up way.
garfield15Sep 7, 2009 5:08 AM
Sep 7, 2009 2:56 PM

Aug 2008
The episode was ok, but the whole "oh, they kidnapped my mother so I'm going to betray you" was quite stupid.
Sep 8, 2009 1:13 PM

Jul 2008
and so the final episode is next week...

o kinda harsh imo lol
not knowing that your parents have died and expecting them to return anytime >_<
Sep 8, 2009 5:37 PM

Apr 2008
feels like the last episode is something to look forward to o_o

Sep 9, 2009 12:52 PM

Mar 2008
I dont get why Mikumi dont use her power to kill Ryoko?
Sep 9, 2009 12:57 PM

Aug 2008
This was a bad...if not the worst episode of the season. They were clearly just rushing through details because they wasted a lot of time earlier in the series. After all this build up, Karin's parents were wholly unimportant, and Karin herself doesn't get enough tim to stew in her emotions. Top that off with yet another weird sci-fi/fantasy explanation regarding the spear and the mummified corpse, and I just totally turned my brain off.

I'm also really disappointed that Kunihito's "betrayal" was reversed so quickly into the episode, and Sayoko gets to waste more time with a fake out and second death. So much of the first half of the episode was wasted on resolving the crappy gimmicks to end last week with a cliffhanger that I was just generally disgusted.

The only good part of the episode was that we got a good resolution with Sion and his brother. The bad part: they had absolutely nothing to do with the plot or show at all.

This episode makes me fear for the ending, and wonder, "What's the point?" to a show I think (maybe thought) is one of the best of the year.
Sep 10, 2009 5:41 AM

Dec 2008
I don't know when, but Shangri La had lost it at some point.
This show had a nice and entertaining start but then...

Im happy when its over and Sayoko spits blood
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2009 7:29 AM

Jul 2008
I completely agree with noteDhero. This whole ep was filled with so many unnecessary things, while other parts were completely underdeveloped. With a few changes in this and last episode, they could have gotten better drama and a better paced story out of this. :(

It's not a bad anime, but it could have been better.
Sep 11, 2009 7:19 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Silberkralle said:
I completely agree with noteDhero. This whole ep was filled with so many unnecessary things, while other parts were completely underdeveloped. With a few changes in this and last episode, they could have gotten better drama and a better paced story out of this. :(

It's not a bad anime, but it could have been better.

true. The main problem with this anime is the purpose and message of it, which is not made very clear. And the Hiruko and spear thing is not very well explained (or least the explanation was not very satisfying) Still, I think this series is quite something, being able to entertain me the whole way across 6 months.

And now, the crucial part: the ending. How it will end will ultimately decide if this series was worth it.

But again, having this series in the 2200th is something I fail to understand with MAL rating system and how MAL users rate their series... I really blame it on negative propaganda on this series at the beginning of the season. Many users were convinced that this was crap based on the first few episodes and rated it as is...which had an avalanche effect on users that weren't persistent enough (i.e. if everyone thinks it's crap then it must be and I should rate it crap as well or else people will think I'm weird)
wakka9caSep 11, 2009 7:23 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 12, 2009 12:16 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
...this is not going well :/

hope the ending isn't done too terribly.

Naruleach (from 09-03-09, 4:46 PM) said:
i bet his mother was kidnapped and is in danger.
yep.
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 12, 2009 12:52 AM

Oct 2007
wakka9ca said:
(i.e. if everyone thinks it's crap then it must be and I should rate it crap as well or else people will think I'm weird)
I lol and sad at the same time.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 12, 2009 8:33 AM

Aug 2008
The opposite is also true.
*glances at top 10*
...Clannad After Story and Code Geass R2....
Sep 13, 2009 3:46 PM

Jul 2008
Shangri-La kinda did lose it somewhere midway. I hope the ending is good cuz I had thought this would be this year's best till now, but I guess it isn't.
Sep 13, 2009 6:40 PM

May 2007
Can someone explain to me why Kusanagi isn't going down with Kuniko, he is a AAA too after all.

Also Karin gets more pain, good as she did nothing to help this show.
My anime list
Sep 14, 2009 6:23 PM

Jul 2008
mitamaking said:
Can someone explain to me why Kusanagi isn't going down with Kuniko, he is a AAA too after all.

thats because he has to show up at the end and save her, jeez don't you watch cliche battle scenes?
Sep 18, 2009 5:48 PM

Jan 2009
Now then, one episode left after this one..
Starts out pretty interesting..

Naaaw Sayoko jumped, but she was saved by Momoko >.<

This anime is kinda freaky actually ^^,

Hey Nagiko was actually pretty good-looking when she was young : o

Anyway I can't really find any words to descibe stuff from this episode, too much interesting stuff is happening all the time : D

Anyway, Hackers League, Unite!
Oh.. they failed, instantly >.<

Naaaaaww Poor Karin : (

Hahah Cliffhanger lols
anyway, last episode.. tomorrow, really have to get some sleep now >.<
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Sep 19, 2009 3:43 PM

May 2008
Seriously not sure whether I like this series or not... I kinda like the fact that they actually explained so much the last few episodes... wonder how statisfying the new ep will be.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2009 1:56 PM
Jun 2009
I really though Sayoko died. And I was reappy, actually. But then Momoko saved her...

I don't know, I hate Momoko... Since the beggining of Shangri-La...
Sep 27, 2009 12:37 PM

Feb 2008
Episode felt rushed. :'<
I'm sad that this series started really good but it may end in a disappointing way. :'/

Glad that Sion didn't turn yandere in the end. xD
I always thought he might go yandere on everyone and kill Ryoko's "enemies" for her xDD
Whew~ thank gawd, srsly.
Brotherly love, thank you! xD
But that part was somehow lame even though I was glad for the two of them.
And as always...Ryoko's a bitch. -shrugs- lawl

Oct 4, 2009 5:17 PM

Jul 2008
so both sayako and karin were screwed over by ryoko... she must pay for all the evil shes done!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Oct 10, 2009 5:44 AM
May 2008
Well, I'm just anticipating this series ending since it has gone to hell since the beginning. Oh well, only one episode left.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Feb 10, 2010 2:10 PM

Apr 2009
I can't believe that Ryoko actually tried to kill Sion. Now it's clear that this bitch ain't human but a pure devil. >:( Looking forward to next episode to se how she's going to pay for her sins.
Feb 25, 2010 4:46 PM

Sep 2009
Looks like someone was right about Kunihito in the last episode discussion. Time to see how the last episode is.
Dec 9, 2011 7:09 PM
Feb 2011
This Ep is fail! Kunihito stopping Kuniko to save his mom is a worthless effort if the world is destroyed isn't it? Kunihito is no more then a idiotic side character in this show. Plus why the boomerang when she could use a damn bun from ranged to kill anyone that opposes Kuniko?

People in animes these days just don't know how to shoot.... how can you miss a standing target from about 20 feet away...

Ep 4/10

Show so far 7/10
korn7809Dec 9, 2011 7:16 PM
Dec 9, 2013 4:14 PM

May 2012
Poor Karin, somewhere I knew her parents were dead already... but well things sure are getting good for the next and last episode! So let's see what that has to offer us!
Jul 5, 2014 3:59 AM

Aug 2013
It pisses me off how those *expletives* geezers are just chatting like they're not involved.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 14, 2016 9:53 AM

Feb 2015
noteDhero said:
This was a bad...if not the worst episode of the season. They were clearly just rushing through details because they wasted a lot of time earlier in the series. After all this build up, Karin's parents were wholly unimportant, and Karin herself doesn't get enough tim to stew in her emotions. Top that off with yet another weird sci-fi/fantasy explanation regarding the spear and the mummified corpse, and I just totally turned my brain off.

I'm also really disappointed that Kunihito's "betrayal" was reversed so quickly into the episode, and Sayoko gets to waste more time with a fake out and second death. So much of the first half of the episode was wasted on resolving the crappy gimmicks to end last week with a cliffhanger that I was just generally disgusted.

The only good part of the episode was that we got a good resolution with Sion and his brother. The bad part: they had absolutely nothing to do with the plot or show at all.

This episode makes me fear for the ending, and wonder, "What's the point?" to a show I think (maybe thought) is one of the best of the year.

you must be kidding. the show had already showed it's mediocrity from the beginning episodes. it felt almost natural to me (not even kidding) that kunihito and kuniko would resolve so quickly, not only because it's one ep to go, but the horrible writing as well.

mitamaking said:

because huge plothole.
----------
as i thought, shion was twisted into being a masochist, which pretty much is the legit saddest story of the entire series. i didn't and don't care that the fat, idiot, annoying loser mi-ko is dead, i didn't understand why they were all crying about a home they complained about all the time, momoko's gay memories felt like nothing since i can't help but be repulsed by him at least once every episode, and just when i thought they were going to explain karin's backstory about how she is such a genius, i get a sob story that is extremely reminiscent of that girl from clannad, and - unsurprisingly - i felt nothing.

the sad thing about this next-to-last episode is that it's progessing well but faced god-awful direction and was litetrally wasted for a good 6-8 episodes at least. if they weren't a complete waste, they could have focused more on shion and (maybe, JUST maybe) made me feel anything for momoko. they could have done kunihito's "betrayal" sonner and fleshed it out. i STILL don't get this carbon stock market thing and have long given up on it, maybe they could have explained that better. it's like these last episodes are showing the characters and their bonds and the entire meaning of the show as if this is a S2 and we understand because we saw S1. giving the audience 2 or 3 flashbacks on random, meaningless characters won't do a thing.

then there's the ever so tiring MC, who gets his/her way by literally riding on the fact that he/she wants to. by all due respects royoko's plan was airtight; and i'll give kuniko that she found the secret to opening the wall, but there is no way even if kuniko made it down there she would even survive since she got absolutely murked last ep.

to not even speak of dealing with if himiko and kuniko are sisters or not, which was A HUGE TWIST and NOTHING was said about it afterwards, it makes me think if that was a joke. we don't know about anyone's parents, it's as if they are irrelevant to live itself. we get hints that the dude and his sister "had the same father", do we see them? no. kuniko has a sis by the same mother. do we see them? no. karin's parents barely made it to the screen, with no faces shown. the only parent we know is kunihito's AND WHO THE HECK CARES ABOUT HER. but as i said, they wasted so many eps on nothing and are acting like it's a S2.

and we get no new OP! :P

but seriously, this series was a great progression, but only by what, the last 5 eps? if i was the type that dropped, i would have done it long ago. i'm so hyped this is the next-to-last ep, let's get it done with so i can slap this title on my list in victory of suffering so long, and never deal with it again.
Aug 18, 2021 2:26 PM

Aug 2017
Such an infodump from Tarsian and grandma was surely not tbe best way to explain the show...it felt entirely unnatural.

The thing with Karin's parents was really brutal.

P.S. The supernatural elements are a weird spin on a certain Japanese creation myth. All the necessary names have been said out loud over the course of the series.
St0rmbladeAug 18, 2021 2:30 PM
Jan 27, 2023 9:59 AM

Aug 2017
Karin's backstory's reveal was sad, also Sakayo's past seems depressing,
only one episode left, and I hope it will be conclusional and answer what's left of the mystery.
Feb 29, 8:48 PM

Jul 2008
As if Ryoko wasn't evil enough, she made the cure to Sayoko's daughter but never released it to fuck with her, killed hacker's parents because she can.

Also Grandma and Tarsian are sick twisted scumbags.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shangri-La Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Sep 13, 2009

71 by Synrax »»
Apr 5, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Episode 22 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Aug 30, 2009

29 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 28, 10:33 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Episode 21 Discussion

arsonal - Aug 23, 2009

36 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 28, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Episode 20 Discussion

arsonal - Aug 16, 2009

40 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 28, 9:43 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Episode 19 Discussion

firekites - Aug 9, 2009

37 by WolfWood37 »»
Feb 27, 7:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.