Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 25, 2014 6:12 PM
Feb 2009
rip the island ep needed some more intimate moments together
Feb 25, 2014 6:32 PM
Jul 2013
Good episode.
Feb 25, 2014 6:44 PM
Jan 2014
This episode tied in with episode one very despite Hina not believing his story of how her future self went back 70 years into the past to rescue Aoba. The basket ball bro story tied in this episode also if how he would do anything for his friends and it also showed he was a nice guy at heart and i guess Aoba giving her that hair clip and letting her know he had good intentions all along. One think id like to point out is when dio was waiting i think Hina by the end of the episode believed in some truth to Aobas story but not all of it she still dont really know him yet.
Feb 26, 2014 3:12 AM

Jun 2013
Can't help but awwww since Dio is so worried about Aoba :p

Glad that Hina actually opened up a bit towards Aoba, I guess she doesn't hate him that much anymore huh.
Feb 26, 2014 5:05 AM

Oct 2009
Dang Hina's got some nice oppai :3
Feb 27, 2014 7:46 AM

Nov 2011
3/5

Episode boring and stupid in certain situations, these anime mecha genre always have an episode dedicated to a wreck like that, if you want to call it so, why? And because it always ends up the same way? It reminds me of Muv-Luv, here as in Buddy Complex, equally there are always exaggerated proportions that hold the girls for the breast and the stupidity of the main character.
The series was played an important card, but is ruined, for what I think.
Too bad!
But one bit less of doing good, not gallantry, there could also be, is not it?
Drawing a little dropped, the rest are disappointed by this episode.
Feb 27, 2014 1:37 PM

May 2013
This was an okay episode, but I cannot believe Aoba actually asked Hina what she was doing when she started shoveling that rocks that blocked the cave entrance. Seriously, how stupid can you get?
Insert philosophical quote or exceptional picture here.
Feb 27, 2014 8:39 PM
Nov 2013
sure, it was the usual stranded on deserted island with enemy kind of episode and always end up with them being friendly and getting know each other, but it was the best episode so far that contain many informations and characters developments from both side...different with other anime who only used this cliche to build their relationship in buddy complex it was used as important plot points
Feb 28, 2014 3:42 AM
May 2013
what the heck.. just learned about this show number of episodes reading this thread , seriously WHAT THE HECK? an anime with time travel and mechas and only 13 ep? there will be so many things unexplained I don't even.... second season or baka sunrise due to valvrave geting it and not being THAT good ( I liked it , but this one is so much BETTER and doesn't go nuts like valv did)
Feb 28, 2014 8:48 AM

Jul 2012
Interesting development but this show is too slow to finish up the main plot. They need to fill in the time travel plot, as well as have a final battle in less than 6 episodes.
Feb 28, 2014 9:50 AM

Apr 2012
I can sense another time travel cycle here. Here's my crazy thoughts but hopefully it's untrue.

Since Hina received the hairclip from Aoba, she might wear it just like the Hina that Aoba knew. At a certain time Aoba might get killed for some reason & then as soon as Hina learns it, she travels back 74 yrs earlier to fetch another Aoba there. After that, she sends him all the way back to the future again. You can tell there's another cycle going on here.
Visit my blog site for my own impressions about anime & other things: http://infonochikara.wordpress.com/
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/kaoru_kajiura
Subscribe on YouTube channel: http://youtube.com/KaoruKajiura
Feb 28, 2014 11:36 AM
Aug 2010
Everyone knew this episode was coming.

A 2nd season is entirely possible, Sunrise anime usually get a 2nd season more often than not. Though I think 5 more episode is enough to answer most of the questions, won't be anything epic but enough.

fshah said:
I can sense another time travel cycle here. Here's my crazy thoughts but hopefully it's untrue.

Since Hina received the hairclip from Aoba, she might wear it just like the Hina that Aoba knew. At a certain time Aoba might get killed for some reason & then as soon as Hina learns it, she travels back 74 yrs earlier to fetch another Aoba there. After that, she sends him all the way back to the future again. You can tell there's another cycle going on here.

Unless the translation was wrong, there is one thing wrong with your theory: The "original" Hina that was in episode 1 mentioned that she had never meet Aoba before traveling back in time. My theory is that the first Hina is from an alternate timeline.
Mar 1, 2014 10:56 AM

Jul 2011
RedHazard said:

This episode needed more fanservice. Those boobs demand it!

No.
Mar 1, 2014 11:11 AM

Apr 2011
I too am confused about the pacing with this. I wonder if the anime will end with Hina joining Aoba's side of her own free will, especially after her commanders keep treating her with suspicion anyway. I'm guessing the last episode or two will involve a fight against that badass leader guy, and maybe some hints of how they perform the time travel thing.

Hina is definitely hot, lol. Very nice body in her tank top ;) Her battle suit doesn't really do those boobs justice.

Nice episode though devoid of mecha fights. About time we got some development with Hina/Aoba besides them shouting at each other while crossing swords. Rather pleased with how this series has turned out, though it does smack of Gundam SEED, Code Geass and other mecha anime.
Mar 1, 2014 11:43 AM
Jul 2013
Bobjones said:

A 2nd season is entirely possible, Sunrise anime usually get a 2nd season more often than not. Though I think 5 more episode is enough to answer most of the questions, won't be anything epic but enough.

fshah said:

Unless the translation was wrong, there is one thing wrong with your theory: The "original" Hina that was in episode 1 mentioned that she had never meet Aoba before traveling back in time. My theory is that the first Hina is from an alternate timeline.

She met the Aoba from the future, but didn't meet the current Aoba until she traveled to the past. I believe that's what she meant, I could of course be wrong though.
Mar 1, 2014 6:42 PM

Feb 2013
Ok... so let's consider the hair-pin... If Aoba gave Hina the hair-pin right then... and Hina goes into the past in the future... that would indicate that the hair-pin she has in the first episode is that very same hair-pin... therefore the hair-pin has no origin and is infinitely old due to the loop in time. Paradox!
Mar 1, 2014 8:23 PM
Dec 2013
Good episode! Aoba being awesome lately

i hope 5 episode can cover all the question but i still hope for a second season
Mar 1, 2014 9:21 PM
Jan 2014
Watase Aoba may seem like a bland easy going character as first glance but there is someone in his personality he never hesitates someone in need and his emotions truly show when he saved Hina despite being hostile to him and he also lied to dio to cover for hina.
What i like this episode about it reminds me of episode one except with Aoba and Hina in reverse roles. Btw for the people constantly complaining about Aobanbeing stupid you guys seem to forget hes not a soldier he has no formal training except hes able to pilot the luxon. He was living a ordinary life until he went to the future it makes sense that he doesnt know any better.
His emotions truly show hina collapes when they were digging in that tunnell. He is afraid of people dying his father was a firefighter and he probably died and he developed this complex of helping others to cope with grief.
Mar 1, 2014 10:21 PM
Nov 2013
Edon613 said:
Bobjones said:

fshah said:

She met the Aoba from the future, but didn't meet the current Aoba until she traveled to the past. I believe that's what she meant, I could of course be wrong though.

agree with you, in ep 1 Hina said "the current Aoba is the Aoba before she met him" which means she was from the future where she's met Aoba already, and also she time travelled back in time because the Aoba she already met before told her about the valiancer that will come to kill him
Takeoff31Mar 1, 2014 10:24 PM
Mar 2, 2014 4:46 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty cliche so far. Nice animation though and that shone through in this episode.
Mar 4, 2014 10:14 AM

Feb 2011
Yeah , more Hina cuteness.
Mar 17, 2014 7:41 AM

Oct 2013
Yeah. I guessed right. A oba gave hina the hairpin now
Mar 24, 2014 2:24 PM

Oct 2013
Hina's hairpin
Apr 6, 2014 7:29 AM

Jun 2011
Still not a fan of Hina, dem cleavage though.
bagface36 said:
Watase Aoba may seem like a bland easy going character as first glance but there is someone in his personality he never hesitates someone in need and his emotions truly show when he saved Hina despite being hostile to him and he also lied to dio to cover for hina.
What i like this episode about it reminds me of episode one except with Aoba and Hina in reverse roles. Btw for the people constantly complaining about Aobanbeing stupid you guys seem to forget hes not a soldier he has no formal training except hes able to pilot the luxon. He was living a ordinary life until he went to the future it makes sense that he doesnt know any better.
His emotions truly show hina collapes when they were digging in that tunnell. He is afraid of people dying his father was a firefighter and he probably died and he developed this complex of helping others to cope with grief.

This is why I like him.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 8, 2014 11:26 PM

Jun 2012
This might be an odd complaint... but my only complaint this episode I guess would be the way Aoba saved her after the cave flooded. I have a hard time believing that a human could suddenly recover like that. The force of the water alone could knock out most people... and they would have both been shoved into the back of the cave and without any way of resisting the water.

Other than that I enjoyed it... even though the entire episode was kind of predictable.

I guess this is how she got the pendant in the first place. I wonder if they'll do a time loop / paradox ending or not... kind of doubting it with a second season in tow, but the pendant has to make me wonder.
Sep 19, 2014 12:12 PM

Aug 2011
Is Sunrise even trying? They rip off their own works now? My oh my.

» Escapism.

Sep 26, 2014 6:11 AM

Jun 2008
Hina in a tank top.
Hina in a tank top.
Hina in a tank top.
Hina in a tank top.
Hina in a tank top.
Hina in a tank top.
Hina in a tank top.

Well now with that out of the way i have to say that pin really is a paradox created pin. No one made that pin or ever sold that pin. That pin was given to Aoba by future Hina and she got it from him in the past where he went after future Hina send him there so the pin is an eternal loop.

Blind_Guardian said:

Hina is definitely hot, lol. Very nice body in her tank top ;) Her battle suit doesn't really do those boobs justice.

Maybe so but it does wonders for her figure.
Nov 21, 2014 6:07 PM

Jun 2014
I feel I have seen this episode in a different anime series.

Jul 27, 2015 3:55 PM

May 2012
This sure was a lovely episode, quite like the development! Let's see what's next.
Jan 30, 2021 5:42 PM

Feb 2012
It's Athrun and Cagalli all over again!

Favourite moments:

• Aoba grabs the shovel because Hina can't.
  • Aoba saves Hina from drowning
  • Aoba gives Hina the hairclip.

Aoba has figured that Hina Ryazan has actually yet to become the time traveller Hina Yumihara that he knew back in school, Hina left the hairclip intentionally so Aoba would not forget her and so that he could give it to her past self.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2013

218 by aleinam »»
Mar 8, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

199 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:45 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2014

153 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:13 PM

» Why does this feel like it should have been longer? (Potential spoilers)

Damolisher - Nov 1, 2021

2 by Damolisher »»
Nov 9, 2021 12:09 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

78 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 13, 2021 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.