Forum Settings
Forums

DECENT ANIME with good story and realistic characters--No Moe.

New
Feb 22, 2014 8:23 PM

Mar 2013
Okay, maybe I am demanding too much, but I am looking for a good story, possibly realistic (at least the characters). Be careful, not a classic mainstream anime. I savagely hate the moe genre, also the ecchi, if it is exasperated. My opinion is that the new generation anime are all about moe and unrealistic school-life. What I am looking for is an anime based on a solid plot, with characters who act like real persons. They might be asocial (welcome to the nhk), egoist and shallow (gantz-kei), bad for a specific purpose (Now and then, Here and there- ex. Nabuca), ... In short, not too stereotypical characters. Any tips?

Mod Edit: cleaned and moved from general Anime Discussion.
rodacFeb 22, 2014 10:02 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 22, 2014 8:26 PM
Jan 2013
Mushishi it's a good anime for you if you want a good characters and a very good story.
Feb 22, 2014 8:28 PM
Jul 2013
Serial experiments lain
Feb 22, 2014 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
Okay uh
Let's see...
Based on what you watched, you might like (+ extended recs that are realistic imo)
Shinsekai Yori, Hamatora, Monster, Uchuu Kyoudai, Detective Conan, Kindaichi, Honey and Clover, One Outs, Nodame Cantabile, Chihayafuru, Ookiku Furikabutte, Uta Koi, Hal, Tsumiki no Ie, Bakuman, Nana, Eve no Jikan, Kuragehime, Gin no Saji, Major

My opinion is that the new generation anime are all about moe and unrealistic school-life.

How can you say that ALL of them are like that?
MayukaFeb 22, 2014 8:34 PM
Feb 22, 2014 8:29 PM

Nov 2013
scarley said:
Mushishi it's a good anime for you if you want a good characters and a very good story.

You mean a good character and good stories.
Feb 22, 2014 8:32 PM

Mar 2013
Thanks to everybody!
Just seen Lain! And I've also seen a little bit of Mushishi...but it didnt appeal me so much
Feb 22, 2014 8:35 PM

Mar 2013

It deals about tumors and stuff! too scary, man
Feb 22, 2014 8:38 PM

Aug 2013
saobeater said:

Check out Kaiji then http://myanimelist.net/anime/3002/Kaiji
Feb 22, 2014 8:39 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
Okay uh
Let's see...
Based on what you watched, you might like (+ extended recs that are realistic imo)
Shinsekai Yori, Hamatora, Monster, Uchuu Kyoudai, Detective Conan, Kindaichi, Honey and Clover, One Outs, Nodame Cantabile, Chihayafuru, Ookiku Furikabutte, Uta Koi, Hal, Tsumiki no Ie, Bakuman, Nana, Eve no Jikan, Kuragehime, Gin no Saji, Major

My opinion is that the new generation anime are all about moe and unrealistic school-life.

Thanks! Ive just seen Monster, Eve no Jikan, Kuragehime. Dective conan is too childish. Ill check the others
Feb 22, 2014 8:40 PM

Mar 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
saobeater said:

Ahah I'll will try Black Jack, maybe! Thanks
Feb 22, 2014 8:41 PM

Feb 2014
Have you seen Cowboy Bebop?
*^^* Click to hug Mami! -->

Snarky memes & witty GIFs for All!
Stolen from PDot19, with credit to Ntad

Feb 22, 2014 8:42 PM

Jul 2012
saobeater said:
mayukachan said:
Okay uh
Let's see...

Thanks! Ive just seen Monster, Eve no Jikan, Kuragehime. Dective conan is too childish. Ill check the others

I don't think Conan is THAT childish. Sure, it's written for kids, but I think there's a lot to it that most children can't get. It has some pretty dark cases and gruesome murders, as well as amazing plot twists. I guess if you really want a more mature detective show, Kindaichi is better for you.
Feb 22, 2014 8:43 PM

Aug 2013
saobeater said:
DrGeroCreation said:
saobeater said:

Ahah I'll will try Black Jack, maybe! Thanks
Your welcome. Black Jack the movie has a similar feel to Monster so you would most likely like it.
Feb 22, 2014 8:44 PM

Mar 2013
Common_Sensei said:

One of the first anime ive seen...after dragon ball xD By the way it has no plot, hasnt it?
Feb 22, 2014 8:45 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
saobeater said:
mayukachan said:
Okay uh
Let's see...

I don't think Conan is THAT childish. Sure, it's written for kids, but I think there's a lot to it that most children can't get. It has some pretty dark cases and gruesome murders, as well as amazing plot twists. I guess if you really want a more mature detective show, Kindaichi is better for you.

A lot of the others are shoujo...im more into seinen genre...i guess
Feb 22, 2014 8:47 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
saobeater said:
mayukachan said:
Okay uh
Let's see...

http://www.animeclick.it/prove/serie/Kindaichi/Kindaichi-cover.jpg There are also ninjas? *^*
Feb 22, 2014 8:52 PM
Aug 2011
Yes. You are too demanding.

What about Jormungand?

or Btoooooooooooooooom! (minus a few o's there.)
Feb 22, 2014 8:56 PM

Mar 2013
hmmmm....NO xD thanksssssssssss
Feb 22, 2014 8:57 PM
Aug 2011
saobeater said:
hmmmm....NO xD thanksssssssssss

Those were serious rec's but okay.
Not my fault you don't like anything.
Feb 22, 2014 9:04 PM

Mar 2013
Yeah I have also thiought about that more than once... Anyway I enjoyed :Aku no Hana, Angel Beats!, Angel Densetsu,Another, Black Lagoon, Bokurano, Boogiepop Phantom, Claymore, Code Geass, Darker than Black, Death note, ergo proxy, Evangelion, Gantz, FMA, Mousou Dairinin, Planetes, Kenshin, Lain, Texhnolyze, Video Girl Ai, Genshiken, Watamote(!), Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, sword of the stranger
Feb 22, 2014 9:12 PM

Oct 2013
Aku no hana
Feb 22, 2014 9:15 PM

Aug 2013
Can it be movies recommendations as well? Give Whisper of the Heart a try and you're unlikely to get yourself regretted if you're in the mood to watch realistically crafted characters in a story you're able to relate to quite easily in fact.

Other great films i could tell you to watch because i haven't seen them on your list after a glance; Only Yesterday, Totoro, Happy Birthday Inochi Kagayaku Toki

I'd also recommend you other tv titles such as Usagi Drop, Sakamichi no Apollon, Kemono no Souja Erin, Juuni Kokuki, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Kuragehime and others.

I hope you can take something helpful out of the list and it substantially matches what you're looking for.
AstronomyDomineFeb 22, 2014 9:18 PM
Feb 22, 2014 9:22 PM

Sep 2012
You could try BECK. Realistic characters and art, plus a great soundtrack. It's great if you're looking for something that isn't moe.
Feb 22, 2014 9:44 PM

Jul 2012
saobeater said:
mayukachan said:
saobeater said:
mayukachan said:
Okay uh
Let's see...

http://www.animeclick.it/prove/serie/Kindaichi/Kindaichi-cover.jpg There are also ninjas? *^*

Ninja?? LOOL Idk I might not have seen that case yet. Kindaichi is on the realistic side thats what i can assure.
Also, I wouldn't consider the shows I rec'd are very shoujo-like. They're more josei and mature and can be enjoyed by anyone. H&C, Nodame, Uta Koi and Hal might be towards girls a bit more though.
Feb 22, 2014 9:52 PM

Jun 2013
Steins;Gate. Although not very realistic, but very enjoyable. It's not number 2 on MAL for nothing you know. Give it a try and see if you like it if you haven't already.
Feb 23, 2014 4:26 AM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:
Okay uh
Let's see...
I second the bolded ones.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Feb 23, 2014 5:34 AM

Mar 2013
I'll check:
-Shigofumi...that sounds pretty deep
-Infinite Ryvius...that reminds me about "Lord of the Flies"
-Also Niea_7....just because it has the same cast of lain....I guess
Thanks to everybody
i've another quest:
anyone knows an anime like bokurano, narutaru, now and then here and there, ....
what i am saying is an anime that sounds childish but then it becomes dramatic/tragic!
revengerofdeathFeb 23, 2014 5:47 AM
Feb 23, 2014 6:51 AM

Jan 2014
bakemonogatari- it definitely is not mainstream and characters are realistic(despite of supernatural nature of anime) it may look like an school anime in first episode but its not
Feb 23, 2014 7:03 AM

May 2012
parfaited said:
Yes. You are too demanding.

What about Jormungand?

or Btoooooooooooooooom! (minus a few o's there.)

I laughed at your comment :)) It was funny sorry.
Feb 23, 2014 7:31 AM

Mar 2013
LonelyWizard said:
bakemonogatari- it definitely is not mainstream and characters are realistic(despite of supernatural nature of anime) it may look like an school anime in first episode but its not

Bakemonogatari is an innovative study that makes innovation its distinctive graphics . The graphics in this anime is superb. Special Effects . Background rendered entirely in 3D, excessive use of text wall. The character design is beautiful. It features almost every character to perfection is the perfect complement to their character. The animation is rather bare , basic, stunted . Only the sequences of the opening , various colorful and are animated very well and can be misleading as to the true essence of the series. Bakemonogatari means ghost stories and ghost stories will be told, rarely shown. Everything revolves more on the interactions between the characters on a real plot . The action you see , lightning , stunning the first opening is a lie , one red herring to make you believe that Bakemonogatari is a series of another type of action , whereas the action is indignant , avoided, broken , destroyed . In this series there is no action . The story is told in the many still , the signs in his dialogue larded with unnecessary chatter , in the explanations that give the protagonists of the events, and not in the pictures from the events themselves. Still images that follow one another without interruption. This is the essence of Bakemonogatari . No ghost stories but conversations with people involved in ghost stories. As if the story , in the end it was marginal , and what counts is only the interaction between the characters themselves .
The stories , in fact, are quite interesting, but embryonic . Are not developed . You can not build a plot . I'm just opening words that give the characters something to talk . Chatter chatter chatter , the series is totally made up of small talk, and you need to extract all sorbirvele 2 -3 useful information to non-existent plot.
And all this because , I have said , the series is driven charater . And then let's see these characters. Slender specks . Of all the two protagonists are just the most characterized , but they are always flat and stereotipali . There is a tsundere girl , the meanekko , the sport , the lolita and the brat . Among the many only Hitagi , the tsundere protagonist rises above average , mentioning a certain feelings towards the protagonist that goes beyond just the usual stereotype. But all the time she likes to torturalo romantically . He is an amoeba . At the end the main character is a wimp . And ' animated by the best intentions , but it is always inept, impotent . Only through the intervention of others can not solve . Classic , however the productions of this type : the harem . Why , in fact , Bakemonogatari is not an action series , it horror , mysteries it ( related to ghosts) . It ' a harem setting related to ghosts in which, in each arc , the protagonist will try to help you more or less a poor damsel over the prey of some demonic possession . And he'll almost never solve. Bello.
This anime is only 10 deserves to how it manages to dupe the viewer leaving him to believe he is seeing something that really is something else. See nice graphics , but they are silhouettes. See a ghost story but it's a harem , see some good characters are caricatures rather stereotypical and negative as well . See events and instead are talking. See a wonderful souls , and instead is a trash .
Feb 23, 2014 10:55 AM

Feb 2014
saobeater said:
Common_Sensei said:

One of the first anime ive seen...after dragon ball xD By the way it has no plot, hasnt it?
Haha well it sure seems that way. ^^ There is a common thread about love and revenge, but it doesn't feature into the series directly, outside of a few episodes.

Starting with Cowboy Bebop will spoil a person. ^^ I wish I could help you more, but I'm (of course) into shoujo and moe series. Good luck in your search!
*^^* Click to hug Mami! -->

Snarky memes & witty GIFs for All!
Stolen from PDot19, with credit to Ntad

Feb 23, 2014 11:08 AM

Jul 2013
try phantom- requiem for the phantom
Feb 23, 2014 11:21 AM

Aug 2009
AstronomyDomine said:
Sakamichi no Apollon

THIS. Good story. Realistic characters. Fantastic music.
Feb 23, 2014 11:42 AM

Jan 2014
saobeater said:
LonelyWizard said:

Bakemonogatari is an innovative study that makes innovation its distinctive graphics . The graphics in this anime is superb. Special Effects . Background rendered entirely in 3D, excessive use of text wall. The character design is beautiful. It features almost every character to perfection is the perfect complement to their character. The animation is rather bare , basic, stunted . Only the sequences of the opening , various colorful and are animated very well and can be misleading as to the true essence of the series. Bakemonogatari means ghost stories and ghost stories will be told, rarely shown. Everything revolves more on the interactions between the characters on a real plot . The action you see , lightning , stunning the first opening is a lie , one red herring to make you believe that Bakemonogatari is a series of another type of action , whereas the action is indignant , avoided, broken , destroyed . In this series there is no action . The story is told in the many still , the signs in his dialogue larded with unnecessary chatter , in the explanations that give the protagonists of the events, and not in the pictures from the events themselves. Still images that follow one another without interruption. This is the essence of Bakemonogatari . No ghost stories but conversations with people involved in ghost stories. As if the story , in the end it was marginal , and what counts is only the interaction between the characters themselves .
The stories , in fact, are quite interesting, but embryonic . Are not developed . You can not build a plot . I'm just opening words that give the characters something to talk . Chatter chatter chatter , the series is totally made up of small talk, and you need to extract all sorbirvele 2 -3 useful information to non-existent plot.
And all this because , I have said , the series is driven charater . And then let's see these characters. Slender specks . Of all the two protagonists are just the most characterized , but they are always flat and stereotipali . There is a tsundere girl , the meanekko , the sport , the lolita and the brat . Among the many only Hitagi , the tsundere protagonist rises above average , mentioning a certain feelings towards the protagonist that goes beyond just the usual stereotype. But all the time she likes to torturalo romantically . He is an amoeba . At the end the main character is a wimp . And ' animated by the best intentions , but it is always inept, impotent . Only through the intervention of others can not solve . Classic , however the productions of this type : the harem . Why , in fact , Bakemonogatari is not an action series , it horror , mysteries it ( related to ghosts) . It ' a harem setting related to ghosts in which, in each arc , the protagonist will try to help you more or less a poor damsel over the prey of some demonic possession . And he'll almost never solve. Bello.
This anime is only 10 deserves to how it manages to dupe the viewer leaving him to believe he is seeing something that really is something else. See nice graphics , but they are silhouettes. See a ghost story but it's a harem , see some good characters are caricatures rather stereotypical and negative as well . See events and instead are talking. See a wonderful souls , and instead is a trash .

IT is so cool to see you can say so much about character-action-story about an anime which contains 50+ episodes with just watching (3)THR(3)EE(3) episodes...im amazed how can you hate it so much :S...that anime has a new style and it requires at least 10 episode for an average people to get used to that style but that doest give you right to say it is bad,delusional or whatever you say...You dont have to like something but you at least have to finish it so you can say that it was really bad to other people...By the way bakemonogatari doesnt mean "Ghost Story" it means "Monster Story" there is only one ghost in anime,not one ghost every arc please make your facts straight...And one more thing you are in a forum,we dont have any obligation to help you finding a new anime or anything.People here recommending you something you may enjoy because of kindness.Consider this and dont insult people with saying bunch of halfased outrageous wrong arguments about the thing they like..
Feb 23, 2014 11:44 AM

Mar 2013
What? Bakemonagatari has 15 eps!
Feb 23, 2014 11:46 AM

Jan 2014
saobeater said:

Have you ever heard of the concept called "Sequel"
Feb 23, 2014 11:52 AM

Mar 2013
LonelyWizard said:
saobeater said:

I see....I liked very much Katanagatari!Even if i think it has nothing to do with bakemonogatari XD
Feb 23, 2014 11:54 AM

Jan 2014
saobeater said:
LonelyWizard said:
saobeater said:

I see....I liked very much Katanagatari!Even if i think it has nothing to do with bakemonogatari XD

hopeless,se ya
Feb 23, 2014 11:57 AM

Mar 2013
Favorite Anime
Toradora!
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Guilty Crown
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Golden Time
Feb 23, 2014 12:04 PM

Jul 2012
Blueappleegg said:
AstronomyDomine said:
Sakamichi no Apollon

THIS. Good story. Realistic characters. Fantastic music.

thirding. oops I forgot to add it to my rec list LOL
Feb 23, 2014 12:07 PM

Mar 2013
wat?
Feb 23, 2014 12:40 PM

Jan 2012
saobeater said:
Favorite Anime
Toradora!
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Guilty Crown
Golden Time

guilty crown really? you're not that demanding after all...
Feb 23, 2014 12:43 PM

Mar 2013
Brametak said:
saobeater said:
Favorite Anime
Toradora!
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Guilty Crown
Golden Time

guilty crown really? you're not that demanding after all...

LOL
I was trolling @LonelyWizard
Im really demanding :<
Do you know an anime that contains sex, violence, bad language, drama, deads,...
Feb 23, 2014 12:45 PM

Oct 2013
Beck and Great Teacher Onizuka both are good both have great storys and both are realistic
The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame
Alucard
Feb 23, 2014 12:50 PM

Mar 2013
Just seen both! (Well...Ive dropped Beck...but thanks)
Feb 23, 2014 12:51 PM

Feb 2012
Have you tried Sakamichi no Appolon? This is perfect if you're looking for good character development and no ecchi or moe- just an outstanding slice of life anime that wastes not a single second- it is a masterpiece made out of only 12 episodes :)

sorry just realized someone already recommended it
Feb 23, 2014 12:51 PM

Oct 2013
How far did you get in Beck because if you only got like 3 or 4 episodes in id suggest you pick it back up it gets really good.
The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame
Alucard
Feb 23, 2014 12:52 PM

Mar 2013
dano855 said:
Have you tried Sakamichi no Appolon? This is perfect if you're looking for good character development and no ecchi or moe- just an outstanding slice of life anime that wastes not a single second- it is a masterpiece made out of only 12 episodes :)

sorry just realized someone already recommended it

Sakamichi no Appolon is shonen-ai to me
Feb 23, 2014 12:54 PM

Mar 2013
BoxHero said:
How far did you get in Beck because if you only got like 3 or 4 episodes in id suggest you pick it back up it gets really good.

Ive seen 11 eps of Beck....than it became too americanish
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best horror anime?

Matteye - Yesterday

6 by WatchTillTandava »»
1 hour ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Apr 18

16 by WatchTillTandava »»
2 hours ago

» Hentai Recommendations

HentaixxHunter - May 16, 2022

8 by Luminoir69 »»
3 hours ago

» Stylish detective and crime anime

RobertBobert - Yesterday

5 by JoeChip »»
4 hours ago

» Lolicon Hentai anime recommendations

HentaiHasFallen - Jun 13, 2014

6 by Luminoir69 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.