Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 17, 2009 11:06 AM
May 2007
zidane, miyata does not just rely on his counter, sure it's his special weapon, but it's not all he's got. he's got speed and technique and he's got a killer jab that will swell up your face and wear you down. granted a counter is a defense weapon, miyata is still offense with that jab and setting the pace. if anything, miyata could have been an inter-high champion if he went to a high school with a boxing team.

i personally don't see miyata as weak, his opponents all have killer power which doesn't help anyone regardless of resistance to damage. arnie's power was said to be equal to ippo's and jimmy was a prospect who won both his boxing and muay thai fights all by ko. if anything, i think jimmy has more raw power than ippo. ippo is tough, but martinez knocked out ippo with his jab.

and zidane, i'm assuming you're already read the
in the manga

and keep in mind there may be a time when ippo may no longer have to depend on the dempsey roll
Jul 21, 2009 4:37 PM
Jul 2009
I thought that this season were good. But not as good as season one.

But the ending of this season was really good, much better than the ending of the first season which didn't imply if there would be another season. This seasons ending directly said that there would be a next season.

But I got kind of disappointed when it ended here with only 26 episodes. The first season had 76 episodes so I thought that they would go on and show more this season. But what can you do. I just hope that season three comes out soon.
Jul 23, 2009 10:15 PM
Jul 2009
ParaParaJMo said:
zidane, miyata does not just rely on his counter, sure it's his special weapon, but it's not all he's got. he's got speed and technique and he's got a killer jab that will swell up your face and wear you down. granted a counter is a defense weapon, miyata is still offense with that jab and setting the pace. if anything, miyata could have been an inter-high champion if he went to a high school with a boxing team.

i personally don't see miyata as weak, his opponents all have killer power which doesn't help anyone regardless of resistance to damage. arnie's power was said to be equal to ippo's and jimmy was a prospect who won both his boxing and muay thai fights all by ko. if anything, i think jimmy has more raw power than ippo. ippo is tough, but martinez knocked out ippo with his jab.

and zidane, i'm assuming you're already read the
in the manga

and keep in mind there may be a time when ippo may no longer have to depend on the dempsey roll

I have finished watching SAWAMURA FIGHT.. And now I saw Ippo's anti counter or what they called EVOLVED DEMPSEY ROLL or DEMPSEY ROLL EVOLUTION.. What a pity Sawamura. And Miyata sure is scared now after Ippo showed his anti-counter.. :)
zidane02Jul 23, 2009 10:57 PM
Jul 30, 2009 8:31 AM

Apr 2008
I really love this series. It's a shame it got cut again. I hope there'll be an announcement for the continuation XD

Anyway, I haven't read the manga so I'm not spoiled yet. I'm looking forward to the new Dempsey Roll, Ricardo Martinez, Miyata surpassing Ippo, etc etc etc

Anyway, I'll rate it the same as the first series. 10/10

Aug 6, 2009 2:51 PM

Feb 2009
Well the ambigious ending, and I expected it due to the series panned out in the first place. I liked the episode, there were some funny bits, and Ippo's old tenacity came back, excited if there is a 3rd season, definitely watch it! Nice series, not as good as the first, but that was orginal, furthermore there was quite a bit of a gap between the seasons, so you can expect them to have some flaws! XD
Aug 13, 2009 1:50 PM

Aug 2008
hope they do better next season
Aug 25, 2009 8:16 PM

Apr 2009
this season is not bad look like the manga will keep continue till i reach 70 year old :P
Aug 27, 2009 3:44 PM

Feb 2008
just when it started to feel like Hajime no Ippo again they cut it off :/

I can't agree with the coaches decision to ignore the problem and try to power through it, its unrealistic and will just hurt his boxer more. its better that he expand he repertoire of attacks first and then find out from his coach that his favorite attack shouldn't be used against people talented at countering unless their guard is broken and they're half dead already.
Sep 17, 2009 12:08 PM

Aug 2007
I wonder how much canon they will change in season 2.
Sep 21, 2009 9:02 PM

Jul 2009
jacobpaige said:
just when it started to feel like Hajime no Ippo again they cut it off :/

I can't agree with the coaches decision to ignore the problem and try to power through it, its unrealistic and will just hurt his boxer more. its better that he expand he repertoire of attacks first and then find out from his coach that his favorite attack shouldn't be used against people talented at countering unless their guard is broken and they're half dead already.

I thought they announced another season :S

I was really looking forward for the next match up against ippo :(
One of the better fights in the manga or at least the premise behind it
Oct 31, 2009 1:38 PM

Jul 2009
Enjoyed it from Start To Finish Cant Wait For the next Season 10/10
Nov 2, 2009 8:32 PM

Nov 2007
A 3rd season for next year wouldn't be too bad =] but seeing Ippo all hyped up is nice and all but he should set his sights on the world title already =/
Feb 9, 2010 4:07 AM

Jul 2009
When looking back at the whole series there wasn't too much Ippo involved in the series when compared to that of the original series.
Well it would be interesting to see what would happen in the next series.....
あらあら。。。^^
Mar 1, 2010 10:42 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
oh and also guess this anime wont end until it its Ippo vs Ricardo Martinez
So i guess after this season there will be 1 more. or 1 big season
Mar 10, 2010 9:03 AM

Oct 2009
That's one huge cliffhanger ending.

But to me, the series as a whole is good. The series focuses more on other characters, especially their fights instead of Ippo's fights. He only have one major fight and that's against Hammer Nao. The second one.. I don't think I consider that major.. since he finished that match in less than a min.. lol. Despite what people said, I think Hawk VS Takamura is one epic fight.

I do hope for a season 3 due to the cliffhanger ending but I'm feeling very negative.. lol. The first season started airing in 2000 and the second season started airing in 2009. (excluding the movie and OVA) That is really one huge gap so I doubt a season 3 would be here so soon yet.

Mar 20, 2010 9:34 PM

Dec 2008
This episode felt like the beginning of a season. :P
May 27, 2010 2:52 AM

Mar 2009
Not the best last ep. However, not too bad either. I still prefer season 1.
Jul 16, 2010 9:24 PM

Apr 2007
They SO better make a season 3 for this!!! I want to see Ippo vs Miyata!!!

Nov 27, 2010 8:27 AM

May 2010
hopefully we don't have to wait 8 years for a next season. even though there is a manga, no way in hell am i going to read the manga with an action genre. well, whatever. i'm not going to compare both seasons since i watched them simultaneously.
10/10 no doubt about it
Jan 7, 2011 2:51 AM

Aug 2008
Wow! This was a very nice, well done episode! Not to say others in this series weren't, it's just that Ippo had some good dramatic moments. We didn't get a lot of that this season. This was more Ippo and friends and it was nice to see the focus come squarely back onto him. I have some gripes, like it was really late to explain the New Challenger title when it really doesn't become relevant until the end.

As for the season, I enjoyed it quite a bit overall. There was good animation and some great fights. And it did a good job of building up and fleshing out the cast and Ippo's new obstacles. My least favorite element was the music. I'm not gonna pretend I know sh*t about good directing, so I'll leave that subject alone. But besides the opening theme, none of the music did much for me. It didn't hold a candle to the great OST's I've been listening to since I started the first Ippo series. I missed some of the opening themes from the previous series, but I understand you have to move on. It's just that there was a certain, really important feel that this OST was missing. Too light, too generic for my tastes.

Mar 5, 2011 11:51 AM
Jun 2010
TO THE MANGA!
Mar 15, 2011 10:49 AM
Nov 2010
A good anime, even though it wasn't too focused on Ippo...
It's a nice one to make people want the next season...:)
Also, I agree that the "New Challenger" was explained too late, it's pretty much a name for the sequel of this...:O
Jul 7, 2011 7:34 AM

May 2010
Sigh...*waits for another decade*
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 24, 2011 2:57 AM

May 2010
The series ended so abruptly fast! :-( Would've liked it to be like 1st season with 70+ episodes.. 26 is awfully short and it ended so suddenly.. left me wanting more!
The upcoming fights looks all promising such as Aoki's title match (!), Takamura's title defense (!) and Ippo Vs Miyata (?).. nothing much for Kimura but after 26 episodes we finally learn the meaning of the title "The New Challenger".
Alternately I had the thought that the "new challenger" would be Miyata.. but with a twist of events it was Ippo that was actually the new challenger haha
Miyata in this episode was like a spoilt brat trying to pick a fight with Ippo.. he was really full of himself haha I hate to accept that Ippo is trailing behind him :-P
I hope the next season we be released soon.. :-D
Aug 23, 2011 6:12 PM
Nov 2009
crazymelchor said:
This episode felt like the beginning of a season. :P

I agree!! What a cliff-hanger ending lol. I still find the first season better than this one but I enjoyed it a lot too coz those 26 episodes flew by too fast :p gave this a 9/10. Hopefully s3 will come out soon. Now onto the manga :>
Oct 22, 2011 3:17 PM

Dec 2009
This series focused a lot on Takamura's title match. Still good though. As for this episode, it was good, but it felt much more like a regular episode than a finale.
I hope the manga gets done quicker so we get another Ippo series soon.
Jan 20, 2012 4:11 PM

Mar 2009
I want to continue onto the manga, which chapter should I start with?
Oct 15, 2012 12:54 AM

Jun 2008
I want more
Oct 21, 2012 5:06 PM
May 2010
October 2012 and still no season?
Dec 12, 2012 10:55 AM

May 2009
seems like there won't be a season for a while :(. Series was awesome :P
Jan 16, 2013 7:59 PM

Aug 2010
That's it? Don't like the ending but overall it was still good. First season was better and there wasn't enough ippo this season.
Apr 23, 2013 10:33 AM

Mar 2010
any news on the new season?
Aug 3, 2013 4:29 AM

Dec 2008
Green lit
Aug 3, 2013 12:53 PM

May 2011
that was EPIC, can't wait to see the third season
Sep 2, 2013 10:06 AM

Jul 2013
This was an alright final episode, I was expecting it to end in a cliffhanger, but I liked that it showed Ippo training for his next match like the first season, with the opening playing as well, it was just nice to see. A lot of matches are going to come in the next season, and I'm pumped for it, I give this season a 9/10, at first it was an 8, but that Takamura vs Hawk fight was exciting, so it bumped up my score. Now I can't wait for October =)

I also hope that we get to see more Ippo fights in the 3rd season, this season kind of lacked in that aspect, but it was still good.
Sep 19, 2013 6:39 AM

Apr 2012
I think the first season was better but after all season 2 satisfied me as well. For me a 9/10
Sep 22, 2013 7:49 AM

May 2013
I finally made it now its time to wait for Hajime no Ippo Rissing :D
How powerfull will depsey roll be in the Rising :D

i already put 10/10 on my plan to watch Rising because i know it will be awesome

10/10 for this Anime
Oct 25, 2013 10:09 PM

Dec 2011
first season was better. i kinda left this season running in the background while i was doing other things cuz i couldn't be bothered to pay attention 7/10

Oct 28, 2013 1:45 PM

Mar 2012
Another great season! Can't wait to check out Rising once all the episodes have aired :)

10/10.
Nov 27, 2013 10:39 PM

Nov 2011
Great series overall. I was especially impressed with the fight between Brian Hawk and Takamura. I think that fight was one of the most intense I've ever witnessed. Otherwise, it seemed like this season highlighted other characters a lot more rather than Ippo which was somewhat of a shame since that meant less development for him + his relationship with Kumi. I don't have much of a problem with that though since the character dynamics of the others in and out of the ring was presented quite well.

The finale was somewhat lackluster imo but it's great to see the old folks again in the picture. 9/10.
Dec 9, 2013 6:16 PM
Apr 2011
Hajime no Takamura & Date, that's what i liked in this season most, overall i liked last eps because it had alot of reminiscant of season 1 and that it's ippo's time to shine again and start being a challenger not doing same thing over and over :D
Jan 24, 2014 10:04 PM

Jun 2009
Jan 31, 2014 9:40 PM

Jun 2012
I was laughing so hard I started to choke when Aoki found out he had a title match. And when Aoki imagined Tomiko-san XDDD hahaha I almost died, I couldn't breathe cause it was too damn funny. This season was good, although it needed a bit more Kumi-san in it. Hopefully, in rising Ippo won't be as reliant on the dempsey roll as he is now.
Apr 29, 2014 2:20 PM

Dec 2012
Not quite on the godlike level that the first series was on, but still pretty damn good. Very enjoyable, I'm gonna take a break after this and move on to Rising later on.
Aug 3, 2014 11:10 PM

May 2008
Amazing anime. I really enjoy watching it even though there's less focus on Ippo himself this time compare to the first season.
First season: 9.5/10
Second season: 9/10

Time to watch Rising.
Aug 13, 2014 3:00 PM

May 2012
Oh boy oh boy, this sure ends pretty open and well I really wonder how they'll catch it up in the next season! All in all I must say I really enjoyed this season as it was filled with intense fights and great development! Let's hope that the next season will be even better! 9/10
Nov 12, 2014 2:14 PM

Jul 2012
the only fight that was worth in this season was takamura the bear vs hawk the douchebag. hammer nao vs ippo was such a boring match. probably my least favourite in the entire series. they had to make him look like a stereotypical villain too.. so yeah, i didn't like this season that much because it was too focused on one match after the other and lost the thing that s1 had.

onto the last season!

kittyn said:
first season was better. i kinda left this season running in the background while i was doing other things cuz i couldn't be bothered to pay attention 7/10

^ oh my exact thoughts LOL i'll stick with a 7/10 for now unless rising completely blows this one away
Mar 16, 2015 4:24 PM

Jul 2012
It's rare to see Ippo get that serious and angry. Ending felt a bit abrupt.
There were more good fights in the first season, but that Takamura vs Hawk fight was the best in the series so far. I'm excited to see how the 3rd season compares and hopefully we get a 4th season sooner than later ^^
Aug 12, 2015 8:28 PM

May 2012
Started this a day or so after the first season, so while Ippo getting such little focus and so few fights was weird, it was good to see some of the others in the spotlight for a change. While I enjoyed the first season a bit more, I would still give this season a 9/10
Nov 2, 2015 3:19 AM
Nov 2014
Of course they ended it with a cliffhanger....good season nonetheless. Takamura vs Hawk was GOAT.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 16, 2009

140 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 11, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 17, 2009

66 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 22, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

superjesus - Mar 9, 2009

64 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 21, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Apr 21, 2009

75 by Meritas »»
Mar 16, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 10, 2009

55 by Meritas »»
Jan 21, 5:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.