Forum Settings
Forums

One in four Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 16, 2014 6:06 PM

Mar 2008
To be fair, many jobs don't require you to know anything about science. That isn't to say you should remain uneducated, but those hard-working individuals who don't know this basic scientific fact shouldn't be criticized, although they now run the risk of influencing their children with their ignorance and incorrect beliefs about the world. To the others who don't, hopefully they have a very good reason for not doing so; otherwise, the academic institutions they attended should consider revising their scientific curriculum...

I don't think anyone should miss out on the basics, since you're open to come to weird conclusions to things otherwise.
FuiFeb 16, 2014 6:28 PM
Feb 16, 2014 6:27 PM

Jan 2014
azzuRe said:
Pluto was guarding the space time door on the outer ring, and one day when earth needs help, she and her two other comrades will revive Saturn to save the universe.

Presumably while wearing a Japanese schoolgirl outfit and ending every other sentence with "Nyaa~!"
Feb 16, 2014 6:33 PM

Aug 2008
Tachii said:
I did hear Pluto was not classified as a planet anymore, however, I don't actually remember if Pluto is still there orbiting in our solar system? This information is not exactly relevant whatsoever to most people though. There's a significance of knowing we orbit around the Sun, since it explains a lot of stuff like the change of seasons. There isn't however, much significance to know if Pluto is or isn't classified as a planet anymore.

The Pluto debate - I'd say - was more political than scientific.

The sudden "discoveries" of new "planets" triggered the discussion. As we all know, if you discover a planet, then your discovery is etched into the history books. The consequence of Pluto and all these others marked as dwarf planets renders their new planet discoveries as less significant. At least, it gave them a standard regarding planet classification.

It'll be interesting as to how things would turn out -- if by some miracle, human civilization expands beyond this solar system.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Feb 16, 2014 6:34 PM

Sep 2011

I read the title. I just meant what they had was appalling.

I didn't take it from that doc-- which is huge by the way. The second quote comes from the first document, though the survey (2011 BBVA Foundation survey) is mentioned in a different section (Evolution and the Big Bang -- pg 22) than the first statistic I quoted. It doesn't use the second statistic I quoted in the document body but it shows the results of the survey in the notes at the bottom (pg 48 reference 17). The two surveys aren't related. I just the thought the difference was interesting.
EeyoreFeb 16, 2014 6:38 PM
Feb 16, 2014 6:36 PM
Nov 2008
-Linus- said:
Heredity said:
-Linus- said:

Document said:
Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth? (Earth around Sun) ..........................
United States (2012): 74
China (2010): NA
EU (2005): 66
India (2004): 70
Japan (2011): NA
Malaysia (2008): 72
Russia (2003): NA
South Korea (2004): 86
I honestly don't know what to think of the data it has. It references another document in its notes with quite different results:

...Two additional
questions used a multiple choice format. These asked about
(21) whether the sun moves around the Earth, whether the
Earth moves around the sun (correct), or neither the sun nor
the Earth moves (Europe correct: 80%, United States correct:
82%);...

In general that document isn't very reassuring.

The figures would make sense if you had read the title of that section of the document: Correct answers to factual knowledge questions in physical and biological sciences, by country/region:
Most recent year (Percent giving correct answer)

I'm not even sure if you're grabbing a quote for those second figure from the same year - the cited document only uses the most recent year for those percentage figures. Were you citing this? Because the percentages are quite close. Just CRTL+F 'EARTHSUN'

I read the title. I just meant what they had was appalling.

I didn't take it from that doc. The second quote comes from the first document, though the survey (2011 BBVA Foundation survey) is mentioned in a different section (Evolution and the Big Bang -- pg 22). It doesn't use the particular statistic I quoted in the document body but it shows the results of it in the notes at the bottom (pg 48 reference 17). The two surveys aren't related. I just the thought the difference was interesting.

Ah, I thought you were questioning its reassurance in a different way. At least that misunderstanding is cleared up.
Feb 16, 2014 6:53 PM

Sep 2011
sorry about that, I didn't mean to be so vague in my first post.
Feb 16, 2014 11:59 PM

Apr 2013
You mean it DOES?!
Next you'll be telling me that the stars don't orbit the Earth, either, or that other people can see me when my eyes are closed.
Feb 17, 2014 12:25 AM

Jul 2012
Heredity said:
Bro-K201 said:
Do people really believe this "survey." What a load of horse shit. The article makes no mention about how the survey was conducted, who they surveyed, what the sampling error was, what kind of sample they surveyed, not even what the actual survey question was. They only give a single vague statistic and automatically claim it representative of all of america. It very easy to misconstrue information or alter a question to serve an different purpose. In politics they conduct polls all the time to sway public opinion. They don't even have to publish the results. Just ask a question that will get the public to think negatively about the opposing candidate. Here, the purpose of the survey is very clear. They want money. The information provided does nothing to explain why americans might be less educated, nor does it provide any type of solution. It can however be used to convince the higher ups that "Hey Americans suck at science but they want more science, give us money," A claim that, again, is complete horse shit.

I love Google.

Well, it appears that I was wrong. I did some digging through the article earlier and was linked to that site, but it wasn't a link to the page specifically. That hurts. Not something I wanted to readily accept (the statistics that is) but, evidence is evidence. One could argue how... relevant some of the data is, considering they polled some who haven't completed high school, elderly, etc. But the broad scope of people would technically be representative of america. There is some interesting data in there too, like the correlation between religion and public opinion about science.

There was one comment on the article that also made an interesting point. Something about how students tend to have a conceptual understanding of science, and an understanding of what they learned in the class room, and that schools don't do enough to combine the two. Consequently students stop using the class room understanding of science and well, this happens.
Feb 17, 2014 1:09 AM

Aug 2008
Another thing:

I'm sure the likes of Galileo are rolling all over their graves.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Feb 17, 2014 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
-Linus- said:
I don't know where they find these people. I always here about how stupid people are, but I've never actually come across anyone so ignorant. Anecdotal I know, but whatever..

This was me a while ago, too. Until I met a girl going at my school who is actually really... Let's say not so intelligent. While having a very deep conversation with someone, she can in the middle of a sentence say "I found a hair dryer today I really like". When you talk to her, she even seem "empty".
She approached me once and held out a cigarette, looked me in the eye and said "Cig". Like she was stating she was holding a cigarette. It actually astound me to the point where I felt dumb. It took me about 15 seconds to ask what she meant, and she just once again replied "Cig".

These people do exists... :P
Feb 17, 2014 2:23 AM

Oct 2012
It's not really stupidity, it's ignorance.

I saw a video where some Americans even thought a triangle had four sides. Or one. I mean come on, a one-sided polygon isn't even a polygon. >.>
Feb 17, 2014 1:11 PM

Apr 2011
Fexell said:
-Linus- said:
I don't know where they find these people. I always here about how stupid people are, but I've never actually come across anyone so ignorant. Anecdotal I know, but whatever..

This was me a while ago, too. Until I met a girl going at my school who is actually really... Let's say not so intelligent. While having a very deep conversation with someone, she can in the middle of a sentence say "I found a hair dryer today I really like". When you talk to her, she even seem "empty".
She approached me once and held out a cigarette, looked me in the eye and said "Cig". Like she was stating she was holding a cigarette. It actually astound me to the point where I felt dumb. It took me about 15 seconds to ask what she meant, and she just once again replied "Cig".

I think that's cute. She's just like those airheaded anime girls :3

That doesn't necessarily mean she has low intelligence though. It could be a personality/psychological issue.
Feb 17, 2014 3:26 PM

Jun 2013
http://www.unrealfacts.com/45-of-americans-dont-know-the-sun-is-a-star/

Apparently 45% of Americans also don't know the sun is a star... Maybe American schools just have really bad physics teachers?? (I HOPE that's the reason...)
Feb 17, 2014 3:27 PM

Feb 2013
Nothing new.
Feb 17, 2014 3:58 PM

Apr 2013
Where exactly was this survey taken? Was it just single state or many? It would be nice if they included that bit of information.

People are just ignorant. meh. Probably has to do with subpar education, not with Americans being inherently stupid.

skuka said:

Apparently 45% of Americans also don't know the sun is a star... Maybe American schools just have really bad physics teachers?? (I HOPE that's the reason...)

My physics teacher was excellent, although I don't know of America as a whole.
Feb 17, 2014 4:14 PM

Jun 2013
Cupquake said:
Where exactly was this survey taken? Was it just single state or many? It would be nice if they included that bit of information.

People are just ignorant. meh. Probably has to do with subpar education, not with Americans being inherently stupid.

skuka said:

That's a good point - IQ can differ substantially from state to state.
Feb 18, 2014 8:55 AM

Mar 2008
Where did they get the people they surveyed? It could be thousands of homeless people who never finished elementary school that showed up because they were offered cash for the survey for all i know. There is no way its that bad because I dont know a single person who does not know that.
Feb 18, 2014 11:04 AM

Apr 2013
skuka said:
Cupquake said:

skuka said:

That's a good point - IQ can differ substantially from state to state.

It doesn't have anything to do with IQ. This knowledge has to do with education. But the level of education does vary from state to state.

Also agree with taed, I don't know anyone who doesn't know these two facts, we need to know where the survey was taken and who took it before we assume the survey is credible.
Feb 18, 2014 11:35 AM

Mar 2012
I smell bullshit!
Let's go bowling.
Feb 18, 2014 1:02 PM

Aug 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:
I smell bullshit!

Are you among the 25%?

Feb 18, 2014 2:53 PM

Aug 2009
I think some people were fuckuing with the survey takers.
Feb 18, 2014 3:11 PM

Aug 2008
ezikialrage said:

That could be true - but - by no doubt, there are people who don't know their stuff - even something as basic as this.

Feb 18, 2014 5:17 PM

Mar 2008
Maybe the question is so simple they all answered sarcastically. We need a study to see how well scientists understand sarcasm.
Feb 18, 2014 8:06 PM
Dec 2013
Not surprised.
Feb 19, 2014 4:59 AM
Jul 2018
Noldorin said:
Fexell said:
-Linus- said:

That doesn't necessarily mean she has low intelligence though. It could be a personality/psychological issue.

I thought so too. But that isn't the case with this girl. She's really slow (mentally). I shouldn't bad-mouth people behind their backs, but unfortunatly this is the truth. Her knowledge ain't that great. :P
Feb 19, 2014 6:34 AM

Jul 2013
I highly doubt that people still think the Sun revolves around the Earth. Keep in mind that my generation (1990-now, I guess?) is retarded in the fact that they'd much rather "troll" than act seriously. If they see easy questions for a survey that won't affect their immediate lives, why not put down the stupid answer?

So in a way, America is stupid. Very stupid. So stupid that it hurts. We're so intelligent, and have the potential to be the most intelligent generation thus far. But why bother when we can troll and have a little fun?
Eminem meets Clannad
Just when you thought Clannad's OST was as sad as it could get ;_;

If you seen School Days, rewatch the ending while listening to A Little of Piece of Heaven by A7X. I guarantee laughs.
Feb 19, 2014 6:39 AM

Apr 2013
Fexell said:
Noldorin said:
Fexell said:
-Linus- said:

I thought so too. But that isn't the case with this girl. She's really slow (mentally). I shouldn't bad-mouth people behind their backs, but unfortunatly this is the truth. Her knowledge ain't that great. :P

So she has a mental disability and your talking shit about her online? Wow, what a champ.
Feb 19, 2014 6:46 AM

Jul 2013
Fexell said:
-Linus- said:

LOL Aw, that's adorable. I like people like that. It's obvious she has a mental disability, but I feel like she'd be great to hang out with. Let me tell you from personal experience, a lot of people with mental disabilities are realest people you'll ever meet. So down to Earth, and they tend to look at things unbiasedly.
Eminem meets Clannad

If you seen School Days, rewatch the ending while listening to A Little of Piece of Heaven by A7X. I guarantee laughs.
Feb 19, 2014 1:30 PM

Aug 2009
KyuuAL said:
ezikialrage said:

That could be true - but - by no doubt, there are people who don't know their stuff - even something as basic as this.

Some people naturally respond to stupid questions with sarcasm.There is the saying that if you ask a stupid and then you will get a stupid answer.
Feb 19, 2014 2:13 PM

Aug 2008
ezikialrage said:
Some people naturally respond to stupid questions with sarcasm.There is the saying that if you ask a stupid and then you will get a stupid answer.

Then there are people who are legitimately stupid - like Fox News viewers.

Just to brag, I'm glad to be one of the few people, who are aware to the size of the visible universe. My vision and scope is much broader than the average.

Feb 19, 2014 3:08 PM

Sep 2012
So where in the United States did they grab the sample of people? Detroit?
Feb 19, 2014 3:14 PM

Jan 2014
KyuuAL said:
Just to brag, I'm glad to be one of the few people, who are aware to the size of the visible universe. My vision and scope is much broader than the average.
Your humility is also superior.
Feb 19, 2014 3:29 PM

Jun 2007
j0x said:
The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Ten questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average score—6.5 correct—was barely a passing grade.

Just 74 percent of respondents knew that the Earth revolved around the Sun, according to the results released at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago.

Fewer than half (48 percent) knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals.

The result of the survey, which is conducted every two years, will be included in a National Science Foundation report to President Barack Obama and US lawmakers.

One in three respondents said science should get more funding from the government.

Nearly 90 percent said the benefits of science outweigh any dangers, and about the same number expressed interest in learning about medical discoveries.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-02-americans-unaware-earth-circles-sun.html#jCp

>More than 2,200 people

Wow, that truly is enough to judge the ~314,000,000 people in the United States. Surely it is accurate and surely those 2,200 people were not purposefully cherrypicked out of certain known ignorant areas, such as the middle states and trailer parks.
Feb 19, 2014 3:34 PM

Aug 2009
KyuuAL said:

Then there are people who are legitimately stupid - like Fox News viewers..

Any credible sources to back that up that claim or are you just spewing bull shit you heard from a liberal rag?

. My vision and scope is much broader than the average
You are just a partisan hack who is full of himself.
Feb 19, 2014 3:35 PM

Sep 2011
nah i call BS on this, they clearly hand picked people for this, 2000 for a survey of a country with 300 million people is just screaming "we set this up".

ezikialrage said:
My vision and scope is much broader than the average
You are just a partisan hack who is full of himself.
if you need proof of fox news being awful then I pity you
JizzyHitlerFeb 19, 2014 3:39 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 19, 2014 8:12 PM
Nov 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:

>More than 2,200 people

Wow, that truly is enough to judge the ~314,000,000 people in the United States. Surely it is accurate and surely those 2,200 people were not purposefully cherrypicked out of certain known ignorant areas, such as the middle states and trailer parks.

Why? It certainly does prove that not every American knows that the Earth orbits the Sun.
Feb 19, 2014 8:18 PM

Apr 2013
Heredity said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

>More than 2,200 people

Why? It certainly does prove that not every American knows that the Earth orbits the Sun.

I can also prove that not every American knows how to read and write. Can I generalize and say that America is illiterate?
Feb 19, 2014 8:25 PM
Nov 2008
Cupquake said:
Heredity said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

>More than 2,200 people

I can also prove that not every American knows how to read and write. Can I generalize and say that America is illiterate?

No, but you could say that a certain percentage or a '1 in x' amount of people are illiterate. The source material in the surveys does not generalise.
Feb 19, 2014 8:30 PM
Jul 2013
Heredity said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

>More than 2,200 people

Not every, Could be, But the majority, No, You can't make a survey with a handful of people compared to the whole population on a scientific knowledge, You can make surveys to document the length of man's penis: "The average penis size in America is ...". This survey is clearly screaming for it to be called 'unprofessional' and 'selective'.
Feb 19, 2014 8:34 PM

Apr 2013
Heredity said:
Cupquake said:
Heredity said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

>More than 2,200 people

No, but you could say that a certain percentage or a '1 in x' amount of people are illiterate. The source material in the surveys does not generalise.

I could probably come up with 1/4 of America doesn't know how to read after interviewing 2,000 people of my choice
Feb 20, 2014 1:07 AM

Jul 2011
It's ironic how many posts are about detailing how 'stupid' the United States is (not specific to these forums) when most Nations do poorly on these types of survey's, a comparison of which is provided on the Nsf site. I'm not going to go into it because, there's no use bashing X country for doing poorly. It's a sad state of affairs world wide and that says enough.

None the less, I would be interested in seeing the answers (or hearing) people gave when asked. There is a difference to me at least, from those who just do not know out of ignorance and those who believe it to be so based on some dogmatic belief or ideology. Ignorance while troubling, can be corrected via education, the latter though is a different beast to deal with.

As far as everyone saying 2200 isn't a big enough sample size. 2200 people even with a population the size of the United States will produce a 95% confidence level with a 2% margin of error. So the statistics themselves area enough in that regard to make a conclusion. The only issue is how people were chosen and while it may be claimed that it's random, whether someone believes that or not will always be at their own discretion. The same goes with any survey really, data could be manipulated, the people involved may not be an actual representation of the populace, or what have you.

Either way, regardless of if you believe the survey itself, the level of education in the United States and elsewhere is a major concern.
rekindledflameFeb 20, 2014 1:28 AM

Feb 20, 2014 2:28 AM

Oct 2012
It's also really impractical to survey all the ~314,000,000 in the US just for one simple survey. :/
Feb 20, 2014 2:30 AM
Jul 2018
Cupquake said:
Fexell said:
Noldorin said:
Fexell said:
-Linus- said:

So she has a mental disability and your talking shit about her online? Wow, what a champ.

If you would have read my post, you should be able to see that I wrote "I shouldn't bad-mouth people behind their backs" - which states that I feel guilty about it.
And to be fair, the girl has a nice personality. She's kind.
Feb 20, 2014 2:31 AM
Jul 2018
CallMePriest said:
Fexell said:
-Linus- said:

LOL Aw, that's adorable. I like people like that. It's obvious she has a mental disability, but I feel like she'd be great to hang out with. Let me tell you from personal experience, a lot of people with mental disabilities are realest people you'll ever meet. So down to Earth, and they tend to look at things unbiasedly.

This is true. She, as said, is very kind. Though trying to have a deep conversation with her is completely out of the question.
Feb 20, 2014 8:59 AM

Apr 2013
Fexell said:
Cupquake said:
Fexell said:
Noldorin said:
Fexell said:
-Linus- said:

If you would have read my post, you should be able to see that I wrote "I shouldn't bad-mouth people behind their backs" - which states that I feel guilty about it.
And to be fair, the girl has a nice personality. She's kind.

I did read it. You feel guilty about it, which means you know it's wrong, yet you still did it. That makes it worse.
Feb 20, 2014 9:12 AM

Sep 2013
Fexell said:
CallMePriest said:
Fexell said:
-Linus- said:

This is true. She, as said, is very kind. Though trying to have a deep conversation with her is completely out of the question.

I like kind people. I'd take someone like that over an intelligent jerk anyday.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Feb 21, 2014 6:37 AM

Jul 2013
Shiratori99 said:
Fexell said:
CallMePriest said:
Fexell said:
-Linus- said:

I like kind people. I'd take someone like that over an intelligent jerk anyday.

Yessir, I agree 110%.
Eminem meets Clannad

Feb 21, 2014 6:55 AM

Aug 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:

Those people are a true representation of 'murrica -- rather than America.

Feb 21, 2014 8:45 AM

Mar 2013
Actually none of us know whether the earth circles around the sun.We are just told in school that it is the truth and basic knowledge but what if all is made up in a coherent way that it makes some sort of sense and in fact the reality differs from what humanity believes to be true?
Feb 21, 2014 9:20 AM
Nov 2008
4kiraL said:
Actually none of us know whether the earth circles around the sun.We are just told in school that it is the truth and basic knowledge but what if all is made up in a coherent way that it makes some sort of sense and in fact the reality differs from what humanity believes to be true?
Hubble.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.