Forum Settings
Forums

Is it possible to watch every anime? Would people believe it if you did?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2013 9:28 AM

Sep 2012
I think if someone kept watching 30 episodes a day, eventually all that exposure to screens would ruin their eyesight. Like my avatar, that's what they would be like.
Jul 29, 2013 9:35 AM

Dec 2009
I think it would be impossible to watch all the animes and read all the mangas in the world of its lifetime? How much do you think that is!? Impossible!

Plus I think you'd die of boredom from watching some anime that you don't like or hate especially when you had the experience over and over. Its kinda impossible. But logically its impossible.

I don't think anyone would be able to force themselves to watch every single anime and read every single manga in the world for their whole life.

... Or are you talking about the people who have 1,000+ or 2,000+ animes completed? If so I totally disagree in thinking its bullshit. If their list says so, its true. Why would they lie?
Jul 29, 2013 9:35 AM

Nov 2010
IheartAnime77 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
As the others said, you will not find some series. I'd say technically it's possible though. When I think of my hightimes with at least 30 episodes a day and theoretically being able to watch that much all your life, then why not.

Wow. You seriously watched at least 30 episodes a day?? When did you sleep?!
You can watch exactly 60 episodes a day if you don't sleep. Maybe like 5 or 10 more added onto that if you cut off the OPs and EDs.

tHe-OTAKU- said:
I think if someone kept watching 30 episodes a day, eventually all that exposure to screens would ruin their eyesight. Like my avatar, that's what they would be like.
I do it all the time. Human eyes are meant to focus at like 20 ft away, a common thing to do is to look 20ft away for about 20 seconds ever 20 or 30 minutes and it reduces the strain.

OT: A lot of people won't believe you. There's already tsutaee who has watched more than spacecowboy. And even though he's not going around claiming to have watched the most amount, he's got people on his profile having conversations about if he's even legit.
Jul 29, 2013 9:37 AM

May 2009
IheartAnime77 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
As the others said, you will not find some series. I'd say technically it's possible though. When I think of my hightimes with at least 30 episodes a day and theoretically being able to watch that much all your life, then why not.

Wow. You seriously watched at least 30 episodes a day?? When did you sleep?!

If I assume those episode were 25 minutes in length, that would mean he spent 12 and a half hours watching them all, which means he would have had plenty of time left for sleep and such.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2013 9:43 AM

Sep 2012
IT: I suppose its like in video games where they say take a break every 15 minutes. Which I don't do :P. Actually video gaming takes up a lot of my time too, especially games like Izuna which make you level grind for 100 years before you can even beat the first dungeon.

Had a look at Tsutaee's profile, and I can see lots of bitching already, which is exactly what I wouldn't want -3- maybe I'll just go back to watching Teen Titans all the time like I used to when I was a kid. Actually that show was awesome. :) Kind of like Avatar in it's anime style. I think the OP was sung in Japanese sometimes too.
Jul 29, 2013 9:49 AM

Jul 2013
OP, you won't watch every anime in the world. I'm certain of that. And are you even interested in watching every show there is? I think you are overestimating yourself.
Jul 29, 2013 10:00 AM

Nov 2010
tHe-OTAKU- said:
IT: I suppose its like in video games where they say take a break every 15 minutes. Which I don't do :P. Actually video gaming takes up a lot of my time too, especially games like Izuna which make you level grind for 100 years before you can even beat the first dungeon.

Had a look at Tsutaee's profile, and I can see lots of bitching already, which is exactly what I wouldn't want -3- maybe I'll just go back to watching Teen Titans all the time like I used to when I was a kid. Actually that show was awesome. :) Kind of like Avatar in it's anime style. I think the OP was sung in Japanese sometimes too.
That is probably for a similar reason.

Well you can always disable comments. But yeah you can see people bitching about how he can't prove he's watched all of it when almost no one even with a list of one anime is really able to. The Teen Titans theme song was sung by PUFFY AmiYumi, there's also a Japanese version of the song.
Jul 29, 2013 10:09 AM
Jul 2013
tHe-OTAKU- said:
Not seen LoGH. Is it ACTUALLY any good? Its hard to tell when the ratings don't seem to be reliable :/ not that any of the ratings on MAL generally are

I can accept that show is pretty dope, but it certainly ain't gonna win me over because it looks pretentious.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Jul 29, 2013 10:09 AM

Aug 2011
tHe-OTAKU- said:
Date-san

It's Date-chan, please be sure to use the correct honourific in the future.
Jul 29, 2013 10:12 AM

Jan 2011
tHe-OTAKU- said:
Not seen LoGH. Is it ACTUALLY any good? Its hard to tell when the ratings don't seem to be reliable :/ not that any of the ratings on MAL generally are

its certainly good enough to give it a try, slow 10 ep start though
Jul 29, 2013 10:12 AM

Dec 2009
waalex11 said:

... Or are you talking about the people who have 1,000+ or 2,000+ animes completed? If so I totally disagree in thinking its bullshit. If their list says so, its true. Why would they lie?

With that logic everything on the internet is true.
Jul 29, 2013 10:14 AM

Dec 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
There's already tsutaee who has watched more than spacecowboy.

Didn't know about that person... I remember there were 5 or so people who had over 5k anime in their lists when funcsion "top users (power users)" was still avaliable though.

tHe-OTAKU- said:
He said it was to someone. That it was his girlfriend.
I don't want to be mean to him, but some of the stuff he says is hard to believe. Also I read through a thread on how much people spend on merchandise and anime, and he was taken up on passing off someone elses anime collection as his own. :/

Well, people make alot of jokes about Date's grammar, but he is also trolling others alot. Like with that pic - if you simply google you'll find out who that girl is. You shouldn't take him very serious... well, as most other people on MAL.

tHe-OTAKU- said:
<..Like, nobody ever taking me seriously because they think I'm trolling, which I wouldn't be at all...>
<..I can see lots of bitching already, which is exactly what I wouldn't want -3- ..>

You care too much of what people can think/say. Look at Tsutaee or Spacecowboy profiles - they don't seem to care/answer to all that blah-blah about their lists, though you can see them answering to normal questions (at least Spacecowboy).

tHe-OTAKU- said:
By help, I guess now I could ask if anyone can suggest anime I should watch. I'd like to see a lot, but I don't know how to narrow it down. Is there any I should avoid?

That one is pretty easy to do: just make a topic here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?board=16
You can ask for certain genre or best representatives of each genre or even a list of anime which you should avoid (you need to make clear what kind of anime you like though). Within few hours you will more likely get lots of proper answers.
Jul 29, 2013 10:19 AM

Jul 2013
Rinshansan said:
tHe-OTAKU- said:

I can accept that show is pretty dope, but it certainly ain't gonna win me over because it looks pretentious.

Let me tell you; it isn't pretentious at all.
Jul 29, 2013 10:33 AM

Jul 2011
Why would you want to waste your time on that
Jul 29, 2013 10:34 AM

Nov 2008
No, unless you had immortality.

Jul 29, 2013 10:36 AM
Mar 2013
I personally dont think its possible, considering the the actual time it needs to watch every episode of an anime

Jul 29, 2013 10:39 AM
Jul 2018
Nope, not in this lifetime
Jul 29, 2013 10:39 AM

Sep 2012
My apologies, I figured I wasn't well enough acquainted with Date to call him -chan yet.

Yeah LoGH...I dunno if I should watch it.
Kinda realising my goal is impossible now :')

There was also a show on CN about Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, called "Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi Show", appropriately. I still remember the theme song to this day. Ahh, childhood.
Jul 29, 2013 1:13 PM

Jun 2013
This seems like an impossible task, unfortunately. There are thousands of anime out there right now and thousands are going to be coming out in the future. If you really wanted to do this, I don't see how your life WOULDN'T be consumed by anime.
Jul 29, 2013 1:18 PM

Jul 2013
Yeah, I don't think it'd be possible unless all you did was watch anime like 24/7 - maybe if you were an anime loving insomniac it'd be possible lol.
Jul 29, 2013 1:26 PM

Nov 2012
its possible if you do it your whole life but also inpossible because everyone has their own genres so they wont watch anime they dont like
Jul 29, 2013 1:42 PM

Sep 2012
Haha I could never be an insomniac. If I don't get enough sleep I always feel like crap the next day.

So, I guess I shouldn't watch it all. I certainly don't want to have to watch all of Sazae-san or Doraemon. If I even could, since they seem to be hard to find.
Jul 29, 2013 3:44 PM

Jun 2008
You could do it the way a friend of mine did to achieve a huge number of shows watched.
Skip scenes that are too boring.
Jul 29, 2013 3:47 PM
Mar 2011
nope is not possible
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 29, 2013 3:48 PM

Jan 2013
Chibi-Alice said:
You could do it the way a friend of mine did to achieve a huge number of shows watched.
Skip scenes that are too boring.

Your friend is an idiot.

OT - No.. it's not really possible. You wouldn't remember half of the shit you've watched even if you did manage to see everything.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2013 3:51 PM

May 2013
Maybe, yeah. But what a life that would be.
Jul 29, 2013 3:51 PM

Jan 2010
I hope not. It would mean that there would be an end to anime. But yeah, you could watch everything up to date, which number in the thousands and includes ridiculously obscure/out of print stuff. It's a possibility at least.
Aug 7, 2013 12:19 AM

Jan 2013
I really don't think that's possible. There's SOOO many anime's. I wouldn't want to waste my WHOLEE entire life on anime I have a life so I would like to do other things as well anime is just half of it. Also more and more anime's will come out so you'll just keep having more and more to watch. Also manga you said which is way to much more than anime :P There's long running one's which will take forever to finish and if you don't like the anime but you want to complete every single anime in the world that would be a waste of time so I would just drop it. Anyways it's pretty impossible :P
Aug 7, 2013 1:58 AM

Jan 2013
no, I cannot, because I don't think I can ever watch
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Aug 7, 2013 2:13 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
The pace at which new animes are released is too high for a person to ever decrease the remaining amount at any sort of noteworthy pace. Even assuming that all anime production would stop tomorrow for all future (for no specific reason) you'd probably not make it through all that already exists today, there's just too much of it. Not to mention that there's a ton of it that you wouldn't be able to get your hands on anyway.
Aug 7, 2013 6:49 AM

Jun 2013
I think it probably would be possible if you had nothing to do with your time (like a job, etc.), but you'd need to define 'anime' a little better. For example, would watching every anime require you to watch every hentai? If yes, then your task just became significantly more difficult, and if not then where would you draw the line between anime -> ecchi -> hentai?

And that's just one example, there are grey areas when you try to define what is anime because of the art style, where it was produced etc.

But yeah, if you were to arbitrarily limit the scope - say to every anime listed on MAL - then you could probably do it... just.
Aug 7, 2013 6:55 AM

Mar 2009
I think it's quite possible to watch every anime being released as of now, assuming you have nothing to do with your life except watching anime.
There aren't that many shows per season and personally I think 50 episodes a week is doable.

It's impossible to watch every anime there is just because there are anime from before the 60s you will just never find.
Aug 7, 2013 7:09 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think so. You'd have to spend practically your whole life watching anime. Plus, you'd have to watch the crappy ones as well.
Aug 7, 2013 10:30 AM

Aug 2013
The amount of crappy anime that exists will make it difficult.

If you mean physically capable, then it would depend on your definition of "all anime," all of the anime that has already aired, or all the anime that has and ever will air (in the future), the latter of which is obviously impossible to do.
Aug 7, 2013 11:37 AM

Jul 2013
AMon7 said:
Honestly, its useless to watch all anime and manga because you might not like some of them I only watch anime and manga I like. Basically, I am saying do not waste your time on all anime only the ones you really like or its possible you might might miss out.
You seem very ambitious, but don't miss out on the real world on something so trivial.

It just seems so sad, is it worth it?

On the point of belief, It's most likely people will not, but hey if you really want to do it who cares. I would not do it just for keeps

I agree with you. I am not gonna force myself to watch animes I know I won't enjoy.
Aug 7, 2013 11:46 AM

Mar 2013
I suppose so if you devoted your entire life to anime and found recordings of older episodes of anime like Doraemon, Sazae-san, and all other long-runners, as well as any anime that will most certainly never be re-released in any form after the original broadcast (like Albegas, Laserion, and Tansar 5).
But I don't think people would believe you watched every anime known to mankind.
Aug 7, 2013 11:47 AM

Dec 2011
Lock yourself in a room and find out.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Aug 7, 2013 11:47 AM

Sep 2012
I know one thing for sure, I really don't want to have to watch all of One Piece, no matter how good it is. (I have only watched 10 episodes, quite a lot *sarcasm*, but I do think its good so far.)

Also I'm going to be starting a new job next week and college in a month, so I'm not the type who can sit at home watching anime all day. Seems like I've dreamed an impossible dream. :')
Aug 7, 2013 12:52 PM

Feb 2008
There's over 10,000 anime on MAL, so yeah, you're never going to find all the time for that. Never mind hunting down all the obscure releases that have never been uploaded online.

But you can easily watch every anime of value. By the time you're at a thousand completed, there won't be much left except mediocrity and garbage. And you can reach that number in under five years.
Aug 7, 2013 12:54 PM

Jan 2013
Alot people said that it is not possible but I disagree it is possible but you would have to devote about 20-30 years only to watch anime. If you don't believe me just do the math, average anime has around 20 eps and you can easily watch 20 eps every day so that means 1 anime a day 365 anime a year 20 years = 7210 or 30 years = 10815 and somewhere in between is the number of all animes (I would guess around 8000 + around 3000 that would air for thouse 30 years). So yes if you would devote 30+ years for anime it is passable.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Oct 7, 2013 3:12 PM

Jan 2013
All that would prove is you have no life and have never gotten laid.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Oct 7, 2013 4:42 PM

Aug 2012
Impossible.
Oct 7, 2013 8:06 PM

Aug 2013
Even if you're willing to abandon your life, that'd be either impossible or insanely nuts.

Every single season that passes by brings a ton of new animes to be released. And to make things worse, besides the absurd wide quantity of old titles out there, you still have those that are the utter definition of vastness such as Doraemon, Sazae-san and other ones which have already been mentioned.

I can't say it's impossible, but it gets pretty near this common belief
Oct 7, 2013 8:52 PM

Aug 2009
tHe-OTAKU- said:
So, one of the goals I've had since I've been about 12 years old, is to watch every anime (and read every manga). I know its ambitious, and now that I'm getting older, I feel a lot of doubts which maybe someone can address?:

1. Is it even possible to do? Would it consume my whole life, because I like doing other things with my life and don't want it to revolve wholly around anime

2. People on here often accuse people who have massive lists of bullshitting, which I can sort of understand, and it may often be true, but it does make me worry that if I did achieve this goal nobody would believe me, or I would get flamed.

Its something I want to achieve just to say I have, rather than wanting to feel superior to others. I'm also willing to watch/read anything, though I would probably watch the good stuff as a priority.

Any help would be appreciated. Also this is a first world problem, and I'm well aware that this is all very trivial :) but it would still be good to get some help. Thanks.

If you were rich so that you can obtain and translate every anime that isn't translated,and spent 18 hours a day watching anime you could probably do it in 10-20 years. If you skipped the OPs you could watch 3 anime episodes an hour.Which is 54 anime episodes a day, which is 19710 episodes a year.Which comes out to 822 twenty four episode series a year or 1643 twelve episode series a year. If we go by MALs list which also includes Chinese and Korean cartoons. Then by MALs standards there is at least 14,353 anime,with Death_Billiards being the last anime they added. THis of course does not have all the anime because not all the anime is added to MALs database.So that number of all the anime created could be double or triple because Japan has been making anime since the early 1900s.Some of those anime could be lost because they might have lost or erased the reals those anime are on, been lost due to war or some other reason.

But why would you want to watch every anime? Anime has diverse genres,styles and animation styles.You would have to watch silent era anime,black and white anime, WWII propaganda era anime, the funtari/tranny anime,gay anime, lesbian anime sports anime, slice of life anime and other kind of genre.
Dec 20, 2013 5:48 PM

Dec 2013
Sorry for the necro post, but bollocks I feel like it.

I was going to do something similar once, I found a list of horror movies and decided that I was going to watch every film on the list. So I suggest you do something similar(then you have a reasonable chance of succeeding).

something like this - http://www.imdb.com/list/Xkud5BuJuX8/

"I'll watch every single anime" is like saying "I'll read every book" or "watch every movie". An achieveable goal would be "I'll read every book written by *author*" "I'll watch every movie directed by *whoever*) or every movie starring brad pitt.

My anime goal at the moment is to get to the lastest episode of the big 3 animes, so far I've done one piece and am about maybe a quarter or so through naruto.
日本語で話してみとうございます、なにとぞ私どもにご連絡をくださいませ。
Dec 20, 2013 7:28 PM
Mar 2013
As the others have said, it's not possible nor feasible to watch all anime in existence. Unless you could travel back in time ^^

Even if you did watch all anime, more anime would be created with each passing year, in 2014, 2015 etc. Plus, not all anime are worth watching.

I would say just focus on enjoying anime and don't worry about the number of anime you've seen.

There will always be someone whose seen more anime than you and it's really nothing to brag about anyway.
Dec 20, 2013 7:37 PM

Sep 2013
If you were to able to access every anime and manga ever, regardless of how hard it is to find them, I sure you could if you devoted your entire life to it or so.
peeyaj said:
Fueille is a deconstruction of a decent human being.
Dec 20, 2013 7:38 PM
Oct 2013
If you can keep up watching more anime per day than anime releases every week then sure you can. But...
Dec 20, 2013 7:43 PM

Nov 2010
fueille said:
If you were to able to access every anime and manga ever, regardless of how hard it is to find them, I sure you could if you devoted your entire life to it or so.
You don't have to devote your entire life. Spacecowby has watched 7615 entries and MAL has like 10,000, it matters how many more are out there(I'm guessing not over 1,000). Anyways he's spent a little over 1,000 days(with or without rewatching) which is 500 days above mine, I've been watching anime for about 7 years with most of my watching being done in the past 3 years. So with full free time and every anime made, maybe another 10 or 15 years and I could watch all anime ever made. So about 20 years and anyone could do it, given they had full free time and every anime made.
Dec 20, 2013 7:50 PM
May 2010
Its certainly something that could be done, if you happened to enjoy virtually every anime or were an unbelievably huge masochist for doing things you did not enjoy. If I actually enjoyed every anime as much as I enjoy my favorites, id probably be well past 5 or 600 days now, since I have virtually unlimited free time. And that would be in less than 4 years.

Tis a real shame im still to picky to do it:(
Worships Asparagus.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - 7 hours ago

22 by Klaudixia »»
59 seconds ago

» How do y'all watch such long series? ( 1 2 )

erikkamirs - Feb 19, 2022

84 by iirayuki »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

78 by ModsZone »»
6 minutes ago

» When Iconic comic characters like Superman, Batman and Spider-Man become public domain

BLACKANGER - 51 minutes ago

2 by solacez »»
8 minutes ago

» Does your opinion of a voice actor change when you hear them voice characters in hentai?

Dragevard - 8 hours ago

10 by Spunkert »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.