Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you know is good, but dislike anyway?

New
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 17, 2012 12:41 AM

Oct 2008
5 Centimeters per second. I don't completely dislike it, I just can't relate to it and because of that I was kinda bored watching it.
Dec 17, 2012 12:56 AM

Jun 2009
BatoKusanagi said:
Wha? I don't get it. Why dislike it if you know it's good? At least for me, watching good anime is what keeps me watching more anime. You know 'there more good shows and I want to watch them'. That would all become pointless if I started disliking those good shows.

So, you've never watched a show that you could tell was pretty well done but doesn't suit your preferences/tastes or just doesn't otherwise appeal to you? I don't see how it's so hard to understand that, just because you don't like something doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 17, 2012 1:04 AM

Nov 2012
you think it's "good" but you "dislike" it that doesn't make sense whatsoever.
Dec 17, 2012 1:05 AM

Jul 2012
alexx_310 said:

insan3soldiern said:

So, you've never watched a show that you could tell was pretty well done but doesn't suit your preferences/tastes or just doesn't otherwise appeal to you? I don't see how it's so hard to understand that, just because you don't like something doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

Makes sense to me.
Dec 17, 2012 1:08 AM

Nov 2012
Amarae said:
alexx_310 said:

insan3soldiern said:

Makes sense to me.

Well seems like there's no logic behind it.

I don't think the term "dislike" is the right word.
Don't you mean "not interested" or "uninteresting"?
Dec 17, 2012 1:14 AM

Jul 2012
alexx_310 said:

Makes sense to me.

Perhaps, or perhaps you and I are thinking of the word "Dislike" in different respects, which is also very possible.

If it is more clear to you, then yes I am simply uninterested.
Dec 17, 2012 1:15 AM

Sep 2012
I think "good" in this context = critically acclaimed, or largely successful/popular.
Dec 17, 2012 1:19 AM

Nov 2012
Red_Keys said:
I think "good" in this context = critically acclaimed, or largely successful/popular.

haha wow
Dec 17, 2012 1:20 AM

Sep 2012
alexx_310 said:
haha wow
Mind explaining why you feel this is facepalm worthy?
Dec 17, 2012 1:36 AM

Jun 2009
alexx_310 said:
Amarae said:
alexx_310 said:

insan3soldiern said:

Makes sense to me.

I really don't know how I could explain it any better than I already have but I'll try: I am not so vain as to think that, just because I don't like (what I've seen of) UC Gundam that it is an awful series or whatever.

It still is, whether I like the show or not, a series that has had a huge impact throughout the anime industry and characters like Char Aznable and Amuro Ray are still iconic, but...it just does not appeal to me because of my lack of connecting with the characters. And, though that is what I consider bad writing does not mean that is necessarily the case. I mean, after all, those characters are iconic/legendary for a reason right?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 17, 2012 5:24 AM
Jul 2012
death note probably. It maybe good, but I'm not gonna give it a chance.
Dec 17, 2012 5:32 AM
Jan 2011
The thread title doesn't make any sense.
Dec 17, 2012 5:34 AM

Jun 2012
Bakemonogatari - don't really know why, just couldn't take it till the end. It suits my preferances, but still, something was too wrong.
Dec 17, 2012 5:35 AM

Nov 2012
the first part of Death Note, because I know it has a good plot but I HATE LIGHT SO MUCH.
Dec 17, 2012 5:37 AM

Nov 2011
Fate Zero
DTB I

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Dec 17, 2012 5:41 AM

Nov 2011
Judging by the high marks everyone gives it, I'd go with Casshern Sins. I just didn't get it.
Dec 17, 2012 5:50 AM

Mar 2012
Baccano for sure. Even I know that I'm a huge pleb for liking Durarara more. Although I found the movie Snatch, the inspiration for its unique style, to be much more entertaining than either one.

Evangelion is another highly acclaimed show I didn't like all that much. Although I know for sure that Eva really isn't all that good.
Dec 17, 2012 5:54 AM

Nov 2011
Those kind of anime don't exist to me. If it fails to entertain me, how is it supposed be better than a above-average series?

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Dec 17, 2012 5:57 AM

Feb 2010
Red_Keys said:
BatoKusanagi said:
Wha? I don't get it. Why dislike it if you know it's good? At least for me, watching good anime is what keeps me watching more anime. You know 'there more good shows and I want to watch them'. That would all become pointless if I started disliking those good shows.

Good = good.

Not to hard to understand. As insan3soldiern said.

insan3soldiern said:
BatoKusanagi said:

Of this season Tonari no kaibutsu is one of them, it's good, but i can't stand the comedy.
Dec 17, 2012 6:02 AM
Aug 2012
Kaiji comes to mind.. THOSE FUCKING GRAPHICS.
Dec 17, 2012 6:04 AM

Sep 2012
Vanisher said:
Good = good.

Apparently, it was hard to understand. Since there were several posts expressing confusion.

And what me a insan3soldiern said are basically the same thing. Mine is just shorter.

Your reading comprehension skills aren't that great.
Dec 17, 2012 6:09 AM

Feb 2010
Red_Keys said:
Vanisher said:
Good = good.

Apparently, it was hard to understand. Since there were several posts expressing confusion.

And what me a insan3soldiern said are basically the same thing. Mine is just shorter.

Your reading comprehension skills aren't that great.

So "you could tell was pretty well done" = critically acclaimed, or largely successful/popular.

?

Yo those reading comprehension skills man.
Dec 17, 2012 6:10 AM

Sep 2012
...That is exactly what I'm saying. Is english your first language?
Dec 17, 2012 6:14 AM

Dec 2012
One Piece. Just can't get myself to watch it, everything about it is so frustrating yet everyone claims it to be a masterpiece.
Dec 17, 2012 6:17 AM

Feb 2010
Red_Keys said:

One thing is based on your own judgement and the other is based on others people's judgement.

How is that the same? are you retard?
Dec 17, 2012 6:22 AM

Sep 2012
Vanisher said:
Red_Keys said:

One thing is based on your own judgement and the other is based on others people's.

How is that the same?
Your own judgement in this matter would be that you dislike the show. But you can see that it is "good". Meaning that the show is of quality. AKA critically acclaimed or vastly appealing to the majority of people.

are you retard?
LOL that's pretty hilarious how ironic that is, but whether you choose to believe it or not, I can assure you that I am quite mentally stable. Thanks for your concern. But you never answered my question.
Red_KeysDec 17, 2012 6:25 AM
Dec 17, 2012 6:32 AM

Apr 2010
The reason I dropped Death Note was because I cannot go on watching it. You know the feeling when somebody scratches the blackboard and you cannot bear the sound? That's what I felt.
Dec 17, 2012 6:43 AM

Dec 2011
I wouldn't say dislike, but I would say I didn't enjoy them as much as I think I would. First show that came to mind is Cowboy Bebop. Also most of the Kara no Kyoukai movies and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Dec 17, 2012 8:00 AM

Aug 2011
Riptos said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I dont know I just don't like it.

S A M E. I think it has to do with the fact that I hate brainless action without a deep plot. During the second half where all the political stuff started happening I thought it was great! But no. Then it went back to brainless action.

Also, the Satoshi Kon stuff like Paprika and Paranoia Agent - which I know is very good. I just could not end up following it properly.

Oh right, and Cowboy Bebop.
Dec 17, 2012 8:13 AM

Feb 2010
Red_Keys said:
Vanisher said:
Red_Keys said:

One thing is based on your own judgement and the other is based on others people's.

How is that the same?
Your own judgement in this matter would be that you dislike the show. But you can see that it is "good". Meaning that the show is of quality. AKA critically acclaimed or vastly appealing to the majority of people.

Uh no, those are just possible consequences of a show being good, not the reason why it's good in the first place.

You can see if a show is good without even knowing what others people think about it.
Dec 17, 2012 8:18 AM

Nov 2012
BatoKusanagi said:
Wha? I don't get it. Why dislike it if you know it's good?

Red_Keys said:

Apparently.

----
By all what is unknown, the incongruity of this thread and omnipresent lack of dexterity call for utter contempt.

"Anime you know is good, but dislike anyway?" ?
Seriously ? Because when an anime suits your liking criteria , you dislike it ? That's psychotic ambivalence right there, and a very apparent contradiction even for those of you who have Aspergers.
Moreover , people defining "good" as "appealing to the masses" while most of them are talking about animes they never saw and judging them by the mere frivolity of being popular is just as mind sickening.

Now , let's clear up some points :

1. You can't dislike an anime AND establish it's good at the same time.
When you like an nime , there are no ifs no buts.

2. Since when the overall quality of an anime was inherent to its popularity ?

IzConspiracy said:
Pretty self explanatory

Oh , go to hell.
Dec 17, 2012 8:27 AM
May 2010
Both seasons of Ef.

Serial experiments lain.

Death Note.

Princess Tutu.

@Sacrophagus

You are somewhat lacking. Or at least, that post is.

Its very simple to know a show is 'good' but not enjoy it. It simply depends on exactly how you judge what is good. For me, the only thing important is enjoyment, but at the same time I know I am not the only person who makes judgements about things. If its generally accepted as good, or is well written I can know its good without enjoying it.
Worships Asparagus.
Dec 17, 2012 8:37 AM

Dec 2007
2009 Haruhi Suzumiya. Bored out of my mind by the Endless Eight.
Dec 17, 2012 8:46 AM
Oct 2012
Death note
Dec 17, 2012 8:56 AM
Nov 2012
miereneronaile said:
For me, the only thing important is enjoyment, but at the same time I know I am not the only person who makes judgements about things. If its generally accepted as good, or is well written I can know its good without enjoying it.

Opinions Vs logic.

«War is a hostile takeover of nations, coated in sugary religiosity and fiery terms of "right" and "wrong" from people who use faith as a mean of coercion and a tool of capitulation.» - Sacrophagus
Dec 17, 2012 10:32 AM

Oct 2010
insan3soldiern said:
BatoKusanagi said:

I think there is a difference between knowing something is good and seeing potential. There are some movies/shows that I can admit not having watched in the right mood, therefore looking forward to a proper rewatch. Aria the animation for example. Maybe if I watch the whole Aria franchise I'll end up appreciating this first season more as an essential part of it. But I am not "aware" of that quality, I'm simply speculating. This thread assumes that you know how good something is before even watching it, while my judgements on what is good and bad come from my viewing experience. So I can't make a proper answer to this.
Dec 17, 2012 1:39 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
insan3soldiern said:
BatoKusanagi said:

jal90 ninja'd me. So I'll just add that I don't call an anime "good" if it doesn't appeal to me or it's well done or doesn't suit my preferences and I like good anime (I thought everyone did, even if they're idea of "good" is different. Guess not). That sounds like a description of anime that either I wouldn't watch or score low.
You're right, if I don't like it could that it's mean it's average or fine.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Dec 17, 2012 1:56 PM

Aug 2012
A bunch of long runners

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (I'll try it *eventually*)
Code Geass
Chihayafuru (Premise doesn't sound interesting)
Dec 17, 2012 2:03 PM

Apr 2012
Then you must be pretty damn retarded.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Dec 17, 2012 2:16 PM

Dec 2012
One piece, it could be good.

But i can't get over how much Luffy just isn't a real pirate.

Dec 17, 2012 2:17 PM

Sep 2011
Anon123456 said:
Jak3 said:
c
For me it's Gintama. I watched a few episodes and I just thought it was meaningless and boring. I can see why many people like it but it wasn't for me.
Thats cause gintama has a shitty start, ask borderline any gintama fan and they will tell you the first 10-20 episodes are mediocre at best, same goes for one piece which takes even longer to get good

Its still possible its not your thing but there is a huge chance you may end up enjoying it once it actually gets good, like try watching episode 20 which i have marked down as the first good episode in the series for me personally. If you dont laugh once then its not for you

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 17, 2012 2:36 PM

Nov 2010
Jordooee253 said:

This thread is about anime that you know are good from watching it, but dislike anyway.

You like Naruto, real ninjas don't wear orange jumpsuits, know ninjutsu, and get into big battles like that. It's anime, it's supposed to be unrealistic(especially shounens).
Dec 17, 2012 2:38 PM

Oct 2010
Jordooee253 said:

That's the whole point of the show. Luffy learns throughout and such.
Dec 17, 2012 2:39 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Jordooee253 said:

This thread is about anime that you know are good from watching it, but dislike anyway.

You like Naruto, real ninjas don't wear orange jumpsuits, know ninjutsu, and get into big battles like that. It's anime, it's supposed to be unrealistic(especially shounens).

I have seen One piece, enough to say i could enjoy it but dislike it anyway.

Realism doesn't bother me unless it's a change for the worst.

Dec 17, 2012 2:48 PM

Nov 2012
Jordooee253 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Jordooee253 said:

I have seen One piece, enough to say i could enjoy it but dislike it anyway.

Realism doesn't bother me unless it's a change for the worst.

Holding..in..fan..rage.. Just please tell me you watched the 4kids dub?
Dec 17, 2012 2:50 PM

Dec 2012
I don't remember.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not saying it's terrible, just not my thing.

Dec 17, 2012 2:51 PM

Sep 2012
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It's decent, but... no. I prefer watching OniAi.
Dec 17, 2012 2:54 PM

Oct 2010
Nah, but actually, I think the show is quite aware of that, Jordoeee. Luffy not being able to take his position seriously is a constant in the series that, as the character gets developed and becomes aware of where he is, is slowly reverted. It's only natural that Luffy doesn't start being perfectly able to act as it would be expected in a pirate.
Dec 17, 2012 4:06 PM

Sep 2010
Fate/Zero , Fate/Stay Night

Simply cause I refuse to acknowledge Kotomine Kirei as Judge.

Edit: After given it a long thought...I decided to view Fate/Zero as non-canon.
kain361Dec 17, 2012 4:38 PM
Dec 17, 2012 4:32 PM

Apr 2012
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

From the episodes that I watched, I found the comedy quite well-done with pretty witty banter. But I can't stand the male lead. And as a male watching a shoujo, I feel really weird watching a series in perspective of a young girl falling in love with a beautiful smart rich delinquent boy (in other words, a high school girl's wet dream).
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series)

Ebb1993 - Sep 22

43 by Ebb1993 »»
7 minutes ago

» Misleading, out of context, or outright fake knowledge about various titles ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

55 by Piromysl »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Sep 22

99 by ColourWheel »»
8 minutes ago

» Does Watching YTVideos/TikTok make you an Anime Fan?

BerriesSan - 40 minutes ago

6 by Kirika_Madeleine »»
10 minutes ago

» What Anime is boring to you

Kirika_Madeleine - Yesterday

46 by GalacticWeiss12 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.