Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 6, 2012 2:47 PM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
Even the extras like the cheerleaders are so moe;

The crowd looks wild in that Gif hahah.
Nov 6, 2012 2:52 PM

Feb 2010
Oh my, that must be my favorite episode yet of this show. I enjoyed every bit of it, from the tank cafe to the spy movie and the 5 v 10 battle at the end. Now I get why people are annoyed about the delay of next episode, I didn't think it would end in the middle of such an exciting battle :(

Can't wait for episode 6!

symbv said:

- The uniform Akiyama wore to sneak into Sauder's is a uniform worn by staff from the convenience store chain SunKus. The interesting thing is that the uniform is presented in its exact image as in real life (check below), not a parody as usually seen in anime. This indicates there must be some collaboration deal agreed between the anime production and the convenience store chain:

I think in the OP they are standing in front of a SunKus too. You only see the facade, but it has the same pattern as in the picture.

Also thanks for the info on the oddball reference. Gotta love the details <3.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 6, 2012 3:56 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Engage the enemy more closely.

Aversa said:
Saunders school is American to the core basically how we non Americans see America and there commander is the way how Japanese see American girls kind loud and outgoing.
No apologies ;)

Yukari Akiyama...
Nov 6, 2012 4:59 PM

Jan 2011
watches episode fuck yeah can't wait for next week

*hears about the delay*
Nov 6, 2012 6:01 PM

Apr 2011
^ My reaction towards the delayed episode.
MagitoNov 6, 2012 6:18 PM
Nov 6, 2012 6:42 PM

Jul 2010
"Jesus!" <-- My thoughts exactly to having to wait for episode 6.
Nov 6, 2012 6:45 PM

Feb 2012
Another great ep!

Man, dat Yukari's awesome going all recon.

As for the delay: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(
Nov 6, 2012 7:54 PM

Apr 2011

I so badly want to eat DEM cakes! RIGHT NOW!!!
Nov 7, 2012 3:09 AM

Sep 2012
^ Made by fans in Japan?

Those people never cease to amaze me for their passion, love and energy they devote to an anime.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 7, 2012 3:35 AM

May 2008
Pretty kay episode , but why does there always have to be a cheater in these kind of games . =/

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Nov 7, 2012 3:41 AM

Sep 2012
greenmush said:
Pretty kay episode , but why does there always have to be a cheater in these kind of games . =/
Cheater? Hmmm...maybe, but it does not break any rules though...

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 7, 2012 4:01 AM

Apr 2011
greenmush said:

Because it gains them advantage. Actually, the rule doesn't forbid wire tapping airships. Add to that, Yukari did spy on Saunders and eventually found out. So both of them are even on using underhanded tactics.
Nov 7, 2012 6:17 AM

Apr 2010
Magito said:
greenmush said:

Because it gains them advantage. Actually, the rule doesn't forbid wire tapping airships. Add to that, Yukari did spy on Saunders and eventually found out. So both of them are even on using underhanded tactics.
Having the right intel can make the difference between losing and winning knowing what your opponent is going to gives you a advantage.
I was surprised that they did not shoot that airship down tho, however Miho's tactic to create a trap by giving false information was a better option.
However it's a tactic that will only work ones on them if there lucky they might fall for it a second time but after that she has to think something else up.
Nov 7, 2012 6:20 AM

Jul 2012
Damn, I have to rise the score from 9 to 10, in hope that will help this show have score above 7.
Nov 7, 2012 6:53 AM

Oct 2012
Six bars on Saori's cellphone

At 22:12 in Episode 5 you can see Saori using her cellphone to communicate with the other Ooarai tanks. She is getting six bars.

Radio waves can't penetrate metal. It doesn't matter how thick the metal is, even down to aluminum foil. For this reason, the antenna of a tank is on the top. However, radio waves can go through glass. It is basically the same as if there was a hole in the tank. So Saori could use her cellphone if she held it right next to one of the windows.

If I understand correctly, the windows on tanks use prisms and mirrors so that the driver is not injured by broken glass. Radio waves don't bounce off of mirrors, so the radio waves can't get inside in that case. On the other hand, near the commander's hatch there are some small windows, and I don't see any prisms or mirrors. The radio waves could get through them.

Cellphones use radio waves with a wavelength of 20 cm. So the window should be at least 20 cm across before much signal will get through. Car windows are much, much larger than 20 cm. So you can use your cellphone in your car.
Nov 7, 2012 7:16 AM

Oct 2012
Why is Yukari so polite?

Yukari Akiyama (秋山 優花里) often speaks with extremely polite language. Sometimes she adds "shi" (氏) after people's last names. So it is like saying "My dear Miss Smith" rather than just "Miss Smith". Other times she adds "dono" (殿). This would be like saying "My Lady Smith".

At 08:45 in Episode 3, the five Ankou team girls are in the pool. They thank Miho for agreeing to be commander. Hana says "Yoroshiku onegaishimasu" (宜しくお願いします or Thank you very much). Saori says, "Yoroshiku" (宜しく or Thanks). But Yukari says "Yoroshiku onegai itashimasu" (宜しくお願い致します). So Yukari is also thanking Miho, but in a much, much more polite way.

Then, when the other four girls go to the Akiyama Barber Shop (秋山理髪店) and finally meet Yukari's father (秋山 淳五郎 or あきやま じゅんごろう) in Episode 5, he is so happy to meet the four girls that he bows right down on the floor.

So I guess Yukari gets her extreme politeness from her dad. Her mom is also very nice, but her behavior seems normal.

Does this make any sense or are they making some kind of joke? There are lots of characters in anime who speak politely, but normally it makes sense in the context.

Here is some explanation about Japanese polite language: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics

I am just guessing that maybe it has something to do with Yukari's dad's special hair style. They even talk about Yukari's hairstyle when she was in elementary school which was the same. It is called panchi paama (パンチパーマ). There is no good way to translate this into English. But the key point is that this hairstyle was ONLY popular among yakuza, low-level criminals, biker gang members and some other low-lifes. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_perm
okanaganNov 7, 2012 8:58 AM
Nov 7, 2012 8:00 AM

Apr 2011
I am also a die hard tank modeler and watching this episode made me giggle and moan like an animal when they entered Yukari's room. When i saw her room i had to pause and look closely at all the box arts to see what kind of modeler Yukari is.

First i thought that this anime is targeted for WOT players, now i see that a lot of details and research was put into the WWII market and it is a well known fact that a lot of people make scale models.

I am expecting a airsoft anime soon :D
Eternity - Memory of Lightwaves
Nov 7, 2012 8:07 AM

Sep 2012
Aversa said:

I was surprised that they did not shoot that airship down tho,.
Since when do we have WWII tanks having anti-aircraft gun as part of the standard armament (except perhaps a machinegun at the turret top)?

Nov 7, 2012 8:13 AM

Apr 2011
Ah, thank you again for the nice info, okanagan.

in the 2nd episode, Yukari called Miho, "Lady Nishizumi Miho". I wonder why Yukari treats her in such a extremely polite manner? Does adding dono means as an address to someone superior to them?

In the manga, Yukari first saw Miho doing Panzercraft a year before the start of the story.
MagitoNov 7, 2012 8:20 AM
Nov 7, 2012 8:19 AM

Apr 2011
Blinded_By_Light said:
I am also a die hard tank modeler and watching this episode made me giggle and moan like an animal when they entered Yukari's room. When i saw her room i had to pause and look closely at all the box arts to see what kind of modeler Yukari is.

First i thought that this anime is targeted for WOT players, now i see that a lot of details and research was put into the WWII market and it is a well known fact that a lot of people make scale models.

I'm sure to expect a drastic increase in tank model sales. The model shop owners are so gonna be happy.

Blinded_By_Light said:
I am expecting a airsoft anime soon :D

Highschool Girls + airsoft? Yes please!
Nov 7, 2012 8:35 AM

Nov 2009
wow this episode is quite good, intense fighting we've seen between panzers. This one has its own charm, and just by looking at these cute girls who drive tanks make me feel enjoyable. xD
Nov 7, 2012 9:19 AM

Oct 2012
In response to: Magito Post #69
Ah, thank you again for the nice info, okanagan.

You are most welcome. Don't mention it. (I am intentionally using more polite language to show my respect to Magito.)

Does adding dono means as an address to someone superior to them?

Basically, yes. Here is what Wikipedia says:

Dono (殿 or どの) ... when attached to a name, roughly means "lord" or "master". ... it is a term akin to "milord" or French "monseigneur", and lies in between san and sama in level of respect. This title is not commonly used in daily conversation ...

So... it is indeed quite unusual that Yukari would add "dono" when talking to somebody.
Nov 7, 2012 9:29 AM

Nov 2012
Magito said:
Blinded_By_Light said:

I'm sure to expect a drastic increase in tank model sales. The model shop owners are so gonna be happy.

Yea, I can see why this anime is doing so well pre-order ranking wise. The hobby stores around here have an equal amount (if not more) of shelf space dedicated to WWII vehicles compared to models from mecha series, and up until now, that fanbase has yet to be truly tapped.

Valkyria Chronicles and Strike Witches kinda appealed to those people, but Girls und Panzer really targets them (and the WWII historical buffs) and I think this anime will really go far because of this.

I heard from somewhere that there's a gigantic amount of Girls und Panzer discussion on 2channel - I bet that, like us, they're talking less about the actual anime and more of This Tank Sucks and WoT.
Nov 7, 2012 9:34 AM
Jan 2011
SayuriUliana said:
Nasty001 said:

Btw, I wonder why those girls operating the M3 medium tank didn't bother using their 75mm hull gun which can be used as a tank killer and rely on the 37mm turret gun instead ?

1. The image you provided is that of the Grant variant, which is the British version. The girls are using the Lee, aka the US version.

2. They do use the 75mm hull gun. It's fired during the previous episode, and this episode as well during the ambush. It's just that the 37mm is usable in more situations due to being turreted like when they use it to fire backwards this episode, not to mention it's the only one that has both a gunner and loader as opposed to the one-girl gunner/loader on the 75mm (due to the fact that the girls aren't dual-tasking the commander).

Yes, I know they did used the 75 mm in ep.4 which they missed hitting a Malitlda, I know too that the image is a Grant Variant which uses a smaller caliber turret gun compared to other variant and it doesn't matter since the design are almost the same. The girls operating the M3 should've pre-loaded the 75 mm and used it when they're making a break when 2 Shermans were blocking their break through when they were dashing out of the forest, they could have also used the 75 mm as back-up support fire after using their 37 mm turret gun and missing the Sherman that got away, besides the 75 mm hull gun can also turn but only in a 30 degree angle.
Nov 7, 2012 9:47 AM

Sep 2012
SatelliteCannon said:

I heard from somewhere that there's a gigantic amount of Girls und Panzer discussion on 2channel - I bet that, like us, they're talking less about the actual anime and more of This Tank Sucks and WoT.
Actually all of everything, the anime, the historical trivia hidden in the anime (and discussions about those trivia), some techno-talk of tanks, tank games. And there are LOTS of interactions between anime fans and military fans, with the anime fans asking things about tanks and history and military fans enthusiastically answer them.

Nov 7, 2012 9:54 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
symbv said:
and military fans enthusiastically answer them.
Sometimes to enthusiastically. I'm forcing myself to keep quiet until I'm in a better mood so I don't do something rude again.
Nov 7, 2012 9:59 AM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
Does adding dono means as an address to someone superior to them?

Basically, yes. Here is what Wikipedia says:

Dono (殿 or どの) ... when attached to a name, roughly means "lord" or "master". ... it is a term akin to "milord" or French "monseigneur", and lies in between san and sama in level of respect. This title is not commonly used in daily conversation ...

So... it is indeed quite unusual that Yukari would add "dono" when talking to somebody.
Dono as a way to address people is a throwback to the old time. Back in the samurai/shogunate time, people of authority was addressed as -dono. Its use dated way back to Heian Age. It was used a term of respect to an elder or to someone with title and/or authority; or it could be a title that the speaker gave the addressee as a term of respect. It was still widely used within the army after Meiji Restoration. However, in modern times, "-dono." is rarely used.

For an introduction of honorifics used by Japanese, take a look at this which is really comprehensive:
http://www.animevice.com/japanese-honorifics/22-293/news/

In the entry for DONO, it said:

The honorific -dono (殿 / どの) originally comes from the word "tono" (殿 / との) that means "lord". It would be similar to addressing someone as "milord". The use of which is a higher level than "-sama". Use of "dono" is for those in which you have a very high level of respect for. This is not regularly used in modern Japanese conversation. In manga/anime, a character from a samurai upbringing will often refer to others with "-dono".
symbvNov 7, 2012 10:07 AM

Nov 7, 2012 10:01 AM

Sep 2012
Cratex said:
symbv said:
and military fans enthusiastically answer them.
Sometimes to enthusiastically. I'm forcing myself to keep quiet until I'm in a better mood so I don't do something rude again.
You mean your posts in MAL? That was more like debate, right? What I meant to say is anime fans who have little knowledge about tanks try to learn more about tanks from military fans. I guess those anime fans do not mind enthusiastic response. Besides, posts in 2ch tend to be really short and brief....

Nov 7, 2012 10:57 AM

Oct 2012
In response to Symbv Post #77:
It was still widely used within the army after Meiji Restoration.

Thank you, Symbv. I found this very helpful.

Okay, now this is starting to make more sense to me. Here is my theory to explain all of the behavior that we see from both Yukari also her father:

(1) For an army otaku, the Meiji restoration is a relatively recent time period. So Yukari would know all about the army at that time.

(2) Generally speaking, Yukari is polite, since both her parents raised her well.

(3) When Yukari first spoke to Miho she already knew her name. So it seems that Yukari already had some good reason to look up to Miho and respect her.

(4) Yukari is an army otaku, so she knows exactly the way that army officers and soldiers will speak.

(5) When Miho agreed to be the commander, Yukari said "Yoroshiku onegai itashimasu" (宜しくお願い致します). This was because Yukari was talking to her commanding officer. In the Japanese army, is this the specific correct way that a loader would talk to her tank commander?

(6) Yukari is the loader, which in a way is the lowest job in the tank. So it is natural for her to use respectful speech to the other four girls, and not just Miho.

(7) When Yukari's father meets the other four girls, he realizes that he is meeting the commanding officer of his daughter for the very first time. As a result, his extremely respectful behavior is perfectly appropriate.

(8) The special haircut that Yukari's father has (and Yukari used to have in elementary school) is actually a Japanese army haircut. It is not related to the tight "perm" that was popular for men in Japan in the 1960's.

(9) Yukari had that army haircut as a young child because she wanted to look like a soldier.

(10) Yukari's father also has a lot of specific knowledge about the history of the Japanese army. Was he a soldier? Is he an army otaku?

Please note that all of the above are only my guesses.
okanaganNov 7, 2012 11:00 AM
Nov 7, 2012 11:02 AM

Jul 2010
Sergeant Oddball, really? It was a bit sly of her to spy on them beforehand, but the opponents were intercepting their radio contact during the match. Now that's cheap. Even their own commander didn't know about it though.

After they found out they could give them false information and talk over their mobile phones. :P

One week hiatus until episode six!

Nov 7, 2012 11:15 AM
Oct 2010
I'm starting to dig this...

I think the odds for a second season is growing smaller and smaller by the episode. :)

I saw that no one had spotted the reference to this big cannon, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krupp_K5 . http://randomc.net/image/Girls%20und%20Panzer/Girls%20und%20Panzer%20-%2005%20-%20Large%2031.jpg

Though it might be a similar rail cannon they are using as a modell, one of the K5 was nicknamed Leopold.
Nov 7, 2012 11:19 AM
Nov 2012
Nasty001 said:

The girls operating the M3 should've pre-loaded the 75 mm and used it when they're making a break when 2 Shermans were blocking their break through when they were dashing out of the forest, they could have also used the 75 mm as back-up support fire after using their 37 mm turret gun and missing the Sherman that got away, besides the 75 mm hull gun can also turn but only in a 30 degree angle.

Using the 75mm gun while moving is a rather bad idea, you're only gonna waste ammo doing so. They can't hit with a turret weapon in a run & gun, how much more for a weapon with limited traverse and slow RoF?

Also, with their 75mm only having a single loader who also acts as the gunner (which is a mistake on part of D Team, should've had the commander double in the role), even at their best the gun wouldn't have been reloaded fast enough to be useful against that retreating Sherman.
Nov 7, 2012 11:27 AM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:

Okay, now this is starting to make more sense to me. Here is my theory to explain all of the behavior that we see from both Yukari also her father:

(1) For an army otaku, the Meiji restoration is a relatively recent time period. So Yukari would know all about the army at that time.

(2) Generally speaking, Yukari is polite, since both her parents raised her well.

(3) When Yukari first spoke to Miho she already knew her name. So it seems that Yukari already had some good reason to look up to Miho and respect her.

(4) Yukari is an army otaku, so she knows exactly the way that army officers and soldiers will speak.

(5) When Miho agreed to be the commander, Yukari said "Yoroshiku onegai itashimasu" (宜しくお願い致します). This was because Yukari was talking to her commanding officer. In the Japanese army, is this the specific correct way that a loader would talk to her tank commander?

(6) Yukari is the loader, which in a way is the lowest job in the tank. So it is natural for her to use respectful speech to the other four girls, and not just Miho.

(7) When Yukari's father meets the other four girls, he realizes that he is meeting the commanding officer of his daughter for the very first time. As a result, his extremely respectful behavior is perfectly appropriate.

(8) The special haircut that Yukari's father has (and Yukari used to have in elementary school) is actually a Japanese army haircut. It is not related to the tight "perm" that was popular for men in Japan in the 1960's.

(9) Yukari had that army haircut as a young child because she wanted to look like a soldier.

(10) Yukari's father also has a lot of specific knowledge about the history of the Japanese army. Was he a soldier? Is he an army otaku?

Please note that all of the above are only my guesses.

I'm not really sure about (7) but the rest seems good. I'm starting to understand why Yukari is one of the favorite girl with Erwin.
Nov 7, 2012 11:56 AM
Nov 2012
I would like to see the rules for the tournaments, learn from "Code Geass". If you could inflict damage on the opponent using terrain or explosives, than its easy as ****, It would be so fun to use C4 and land mines! or traps. However that would mean losing the meaning of the anime...
One more thing, If the Panzer girl that spied on the other team doesn't that mean that the opponent would change their plan in order to counter the infiltration? Could they be that stupid?
Nov 7, 2012 12:32 PM

Jun 2010
k ltuiy/m lbhul np[.o

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! It was getting so interesting. I need the next episode!!!!!!

Nov 7, 2012 12:36 PM

Apr 2010
okanagan said:
Why is Yukari so polite?

Yukari Akiyama (秋山 優花里) often speaks with extremely polite language. Sometimes she adds "shi" (氏) after people's last names. So it is like saying "My dear Miss Smith" rather than just "Miss Smith". Other times she adds "dono" (殿). This would be like saying "My Lady Smith".

At 08:45 in Episode 3, the five Ankou team girls are in the pool. They thank Miho for agreeing to be commander. Hana says "Yoroshiku onegaishimasu" (宜しくお願いします or Thank you very much). Saori says, "Yoroshiku" (宜しく or Thanks). But Yukari says "Yoroshiku onegai itashimasu" (宜しくお願い致します). So Yukari is also thanking Miho, but in a much, much more polite way.

Then, when the other four girls go to the Akiyama Barber Shop (秋山理髪店) and finally meet Yukari's father (秋山 淳五郎 or あきやま じゅんごろう) in Episode 5, he is so happy to meet the four girls that he bows right down on the floor.

So I guess Yukari gets her extreme politeness from her dad. Her mom is also very nice, but her behavior seems normal.

Does this make any sense or are they making some kind of joke? There are lots of characters in anime who speak politely, but normally it makes sense in the context.

Here is some explanation about Japanese polite language: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics

I am just guessing that maybe it has something to do with Yukari's dad's special hair style. They even talk about Yukari's hairstyle when she was in elementary school which was the same. It is called panchi paama (パンチパーマ). There is no good way to translate this into English. But the key point is that this hairstyle was ONLY popular among yakuza, low-level criminals, biker gang members and some other low-lifes. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_perm
So your suggesting her dad or family might be related to the Yakuza?

I was under the impression that Akiyama's speech was not only extremely polite but also a bit old fashioned i thought dono wasn't used much more anymore and that sama is used more often.
Shi also seems to be more often in a historical sense, as far as i can tell from Anime i don't speak Japanese myself so i might be wrong.
symbv said:
Aversa said:

I was surprised that they did not shoot that airship down tho,.
Since when do we have WWII tanks having anti-aircraft gun as part of the standard armament (except perhaps a machinegun at the turret top)?
The guns of a tank can be pointed upwards till a certain angle so a good gunner might be able the get that airship down.
It's just a theory on my part tho so a can be wrong.
Nov 7, 2012 1:52 PM
Nov 2012
tiansili said:
I would like to see the rules for the tournaments, learn from "Code Geass". If you could inflict damage on the opponent using terrain or explosives, than its easy as ****, It would be so fun to use C4 and land mines! or traps.

The translated Senshado rules prevent the use of armaments or equipment that isn't authorized. Using C4 or land mines would be like using tennis rackets in cricket or ball-launching machines in a baseball tournament.

Aversa said:
The guns of a tank can be pointed upwards till a certain angle so a good gunner might be able the get that airship down.

The elevation of many tank guns is limited though, requiring that you get far enough away from the target to be able to get a bead on. Also, hitting a target in mid-air, even a stationary one, is incredibly difficult due to factors like gravity that arcs the shot. There's a reason that anti-aircraft work is left to dedicated platforms like SPAAG's (self-propelled anti-aircraft guns).
Nov 7, 2012 2:28 PM

Jan 2012
Enda Enda Mission!

Still rather good.
Nov 7, 2012 9:06 PM

Sep 2012
Aversa said:
If you know about projectile calculation you would know that even at the most upward angle there is a max height that a shell can reach from the tank gun. It is totally possible (in fact very easy) that an airborne object can just stay at a certain height and it will never get hit by the gun of any tank.

@gregthemaniac
Thanks for pointing out the Krupp K5. I know it must be related to some railroad gun but not sure about the actual name.

symbvNov 7, 2012 9:11 PM

Nov 7, 2012 9:20 PM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:

Sounds reasonable. Yukari definitely has a great deal of respect to Miho, not least because Miho is from the lineage of a well-known and respected school of Senshado. Just a few things:

5) "Yoroshiku onegai itashimasu" (宜しくお願い致します) is a standard way of speech in a humble form but I am not sure it is definitely the way a loader speaks to her tank commander as this kind of speech can also happen in modern day-to-day situation (like a staff to her supervisor or a staff to her customer).

6) Is loader the lowest job in a tank?

Actually my feeling is that Yukari would just use -Dono to any girl she talks to (instead of -San). It is just her habit. And not because she views herself lower than all the other girls in her team.

7) I don't think Yukari's father knew those girls were Yukari's senshado team when they first entered the shop. My take for his dogenza is just that he is very grateful for those girls for willing to become his daughter' friends.

If your theory that his behavior is due to him meeting a commanding officer is correct, then we should not see his casual offer of giving the girls a haircut later in Yukari's room.

8) Actually I would not say Putch-perma is an army haircut, it is more like a yakuza haircut (at least a kind of delinquent haircut), trendy in the 60s to 80s.

10) Where was it shown that Yukari's father has a lot of specific knowledge about the history of the Japanese army?

Nov 7, 2012 9:27 PM

Aug 2010
I want so see the tanks commanders holding swords since they spend so much time outside the tank I think it would look awesome.
Nov 7, 2012 11:52 PM

Oct 2012
Why is Yukari extremely polite?

In reply to Symbv Post #90:
Symbv said: my feeling is that Yukari would just use -Dono to any girl she talks to (instead of -San). It is just her habit. My take for his dogenza is just that he is very grateful for those girls for willing to become his daughter' friends. If your theory that his behavior is due to him meeting a commanding officer is correct, then we should not see his casual offer of giving the girls a haircut later in Yukari's room.

In my post #79 I told you all my theory to explain the behavior of Yukari and her father. Basically, I thought the cause was that both of them were acting and thinking like soldiers. However, since then I took Symbv's comments into account. I also went back and watched Episode 5 more carefully.

Symbv said: Actually I would not say Putch-perma is an army haircut, it is more like a yakuza haircut

Symbv, you are correct. At 11:07 in Episode 5, Saori is looking through Yukari's photo album and sees an old photo of Yukari sitting on a tank. Saori says, "Nande panchi paama"? (The subtitle is "Why the boyish haircut?"). So it is clear that they all agree that Yukari's old hairstyle is the "panchi paama" (パンチパーマ).

Symbv said: Where was it shown that Yukari's father has a lot of specific knowledge about the history of the Japanese army?

Originally I was trying to explain everything in terms of military behavior. But it seems that my theory was wrong.

Symbv said: I don't think Yukari's father knew those girls were Yukari's senshado team when they first entered the shop.

After listening again, now I agree with Symbv.

Here is my revised theory:

(1) Yukari has poor interpersonal skills:

- She never made any friends except for her tanks.

- She wanted that very short hairstyle even though no other girl in elementary school would do that.

- She doesn't know the normal way to talk. So for example she adds "-dono".

- She didn't know how to join the Ankou team. She was lucky that Miho warmly invited her to join.

- She didn't know how to fool the Saunders school.

(2) Yukari's father has poor interpersonal skills:

- He doesn't know the normal way to greet the girls, so he bows very low on the ground (dogeza or 土下座) and speaks in an extremely polite way.

- He doesn't know how to take care of the girls, so he offers to give them free haircuts.

- He chooses the "panchi-paama" (パンチパーマ) hairstyle even though it went out of style a very long time ago. Also, that hairstyle has a bad reputation.
okanaganNov 8, 2012 12:03 AM
Nov 8, 2012 1:29 AM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
Here is my revised theory:

(1) Yukari has poor interpersonal skills:

(2) Yukari's father has poor interpersonal skills:
I very much agree!! I think the whole -dono thing and Yukari's father's reaction/behavior are to show that they are more clumsy than what we expect of the "normally sociable people", although the clumsiness manifested in different ways for Yukari and her dad. What is interesting about Yukari is that while she may be socially clumsy, she has guts and resourcefulness (sneaking into Saunder's to spy takes both) and she is clearly loyal to her friends (rushing to defend Miho without a thought). No wonder her stock rose sharply in fans forum after this episode.

In fact, perhaps because fans now watch the episodes several times, they start to take notice of those characters who don't even have talking parts, like the quiet girl from the 1st Year's Team:

symbvNov 8, 2012 1:46 AM

Nov 8, 2012 2:46 AM

Apr 2009
SayuriUliana said:
Aversa said:

The elevation of many tank guns is limited though, requiring that you get far enough away from the target to be able to get a bead on. Also, hitting a target in mid-air, even a stationary one, is incredibly difficult due to factors like gravity that arcs the shot. There's a reason that anti-aircraft work is left to dedicated platforms like SPAAG's (self-propelled anti-aircraft guns).

Ironically, M3 Medium (Lee) they use has a quite unique advantage of 60° elevation for its turret gun. While odds of hitting a moving plane with it are virtually zero, an airship is pretty much like a sitting duck for it.
Nov 8, 2012 3:37 AM

Sep 2012
Sae said:
Ironically, M3 Medium (Lee) they use has a quite unique advantage of 60° elevation for its turret gun. While odds of hitting a moving plane with it are virtually zero, an airship is pretty much like a sitting duck for it.
This is very interesting information. I think the gun is too slow to track and hit a flying plane but a stationary target like an airship is very different. Now I wonder if it will be used in the coming episode to give the Sauders some nasty surprise ;-) (that said, targeting an airborne target would be quite different from hitting a target on the ground using the rangefinder, so perhaps it may not be that easy for the M3 team after all)

Nov 8, 2012 4:57 AM

Sep 2012
CHECK IT OUT !!

The member list filled in by Miho's team and handed to the Senshado Association !!

http://girls-und-panzer.jp/giveout.html

Click at the button below each pic and you can see them at the original size.

One thing interesting I notice is that whereas most team leaders are also the tank commanders, in Stug III's case the team leader is Caesar but the tank commander is Erwin.

Another significant thing I notice is that of all the teams in Miho's school, EVERY SINGLE GIRL in the teams are from Ibaraki Prefecture (Ooarai is in Ibaraki BTW) EXCEPT Miho. She actually came from a place far away from Ibaraki: Kumamoto in Kyushu Island.
symbvNov 8, 2012 5:21 AM

Nov 8, 2012 5:12 AM
Nov 2012
Crunchyroll's subs may be a bit spotty at times, but some of their translations seem to make more sense than previous attempts. One of them being about Yukari's spying: if you believe CR's subs, "reconnaissance before matches is allowed", which means that while she did go to great lengths to conceal herself, what Yukari was doing wasn't exactly illegal either.
Nov 8, 2012 6:55 AM

Apr 2011
SunKus store chain reminds me of 7-eleven .

Its funny how both St. Gloiana's team and Saunders where both shock, awe, and even surprise when Miho's team took out their tanks. They got underestimated twice in a row. It just shows to never underestimate a group of inexperience tank crews when Miho is the commander.

So which, sub goups do you pefer? Commies, Hiryuu, or Crunchyroll subs?
MagitoNov 8, 2012 7:04 AM
Nov 8, 2012 9:07 AM

May 2008
symbv said:
^ I just wonder if there is any telltale sign shown in the anime that tells us that the tank with the flag is a 76mm model (the Saunders team has one such tank in it) not a 75mm model (which the Saunders team has 8). Still trying to learn how to identify variants of a tank visually...

So I guess the longer gun of the tank when all the tanks are lined up is the best indication that it is 76mm model...

Yep 76mm guns are longer, and they overhang a little. 75mm do not go over the front of the tank's hull.

M4A3 w/ 75mm gun
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/SargeSurfat/bg42_test/m4a3w_ingame.jpg

You can also look at the back of the turret to see if it's a 76mm - it's pointy at the back like this one here. I took it from a development picture of the Battlefield 1942 mod that I'm in :P

M4A1 w/ 76mm gun
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/SargeSurfat/bg42_test/M4A1_76mm_ingame.jpg
Nov 8, 2012 9:17 AM

May 2008
Didn't expect to see a Kurokishi Monogatari poster in Akiyama's room. It's a manga on a German tank commander serving in the Eastern Front apparently, but I never managed to get my hands on it.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

okanagan - Mar 25, 2013

274 by aimso1 »»
May 19, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 8, 2012

250 by shawn77134 »»
May 12, 2:33 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

symbv - Oct 29, 2012

243 by Abeke »»
Mar 14, 7:00 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

symbv - Mar 18, 2013

167 by giannis85 »»
Jan 21, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2012

191 by giannis85 »»
Jan 18, 4:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.