Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 2, 2012 9:16 AM
Oct 2009
Shaduge said:
^ you sounds like you want to marry oda or something
You know complaining about a chapter is still better than some blind love I see here, I'd rather say it sucked than lie to myself by saying it was a good chapter, just like the people here that rated it 5/5 I wonder what they'll rate an epic chapter? 5/5? That's just stupid.

Lolwut, analyzing three colossi of the japanese manga publishing world is "wanting to marry the author"?
Also, your next sentence may be summed up as: someone dared not bump its fist against the monitor and yell in rage. Revenge must be had. Also, how did he dare actually say something logical to back up his post? THIS IS PREPOSTEROUS|

Shaduge said:

And in case you missed it, there were a lot of breaks.

I seriously can't find the part where I said THIS arc didn't have breaks. Old age must be playing tricks with my brain, mind you.

Shaduge said:

And like you said people got mad because of last arc,..... (-OH LOOK, I'm so smart, I'll make my rant a reply so people won't bash the new thread I SHOULD be opening just to comment on the series itself-),....... keep on running. I really don't want to see it turn into something like bleach, where chapters are so empty.
And really dragonball and hokuto no ken are the ones that started mangas like one piece and naruto so you can't really compare the last two to them.

a) OP is trying to ram up its engine after a lackluster arc. Also, the author's injury compromised its ability to work to such extents that he HAD to take breaks, something his fans would hardly tolerate seeing the bad vibes the Fishmen Arc was sending off. Do you SERIOUSLY think this arc would start with fireworks and deluges of amazing battle scenes, plot twists and so on? He's probably still recovering, ffs, use your brain.
Do you think that a top tier soccer player, after a broken leg, would start up again as the Master of Soccer he was? We aren't exactly reasoning on rocket science, that's common sense...
b) I'm comparing the SETTING of three mangas which are deeply linked to each other (OP being DB's "child" and Naruto coming up almost at the same time as OP, and thus having to deal with it for a decade on the same magazine, both being about battles). If you think that can't be done, this makes your argument invalid, because you would not be able to compare the Punk Hazard arc to the older ones. After all, they came before it, and had different adventures and enemies. They even had a different drawing style.

Shaduge said:

I laughed at your clueless hate on naruto, I wonder if you even read it because last chapters and this arc in general are on a different level than what you are currently seeing in one piece.

First of all, I'm an avid reader of both OP and Naruto. If I weren't, I wouldn't even set a foot in here, since I know that rabid fans are almost everywhere, scanning threads about the Sacred Monsters of WSJ. Having taken care of that, I won't even begin to compare sale numbers of both series, Oda being injured while Kishimoto isn't, and so on. I don't feel like wasting breath for a random troll.

Shaduge said:

You also would be surprised to hear that the "breathing room" arcs don't take 1 volume but like 6 complete volumes at least ( we are talking about a year here not few months).

How about reading the sentences properly before setting off your Rant Fuse?
The breathing Room arcs are what takes up almost a volume. I'm describing Foxy Loxy's mini arc, if you need an example. Do you see any flashbacks in it? No? Good job, move on.

Shaduge said:

You are saying one piece has "gorgeous battles". While I agree that..... (-RANT PART 2 - Revenge of the Drooler-).....you are either a hater or you are talking about bleach.

Are you really analyzing works of fiction made for teenagers on a "this is possible/impossible" basis?
If this is true, please ignore my previous replies. You are a poor dumbass and I have no more time to waste here anymore.

Shaduge said:

Really if you are gonna compliment/hate on something at least analyse it thoroughly before instead of just throwing meaningless words. I have read the mangas so many times, I know what I'm talking about.

Your first statement about how I CAN'T compare things with a factual explanation says millions of things about the way you read your mangas. You are probably one of those souls who read Cyborg 009 and say that everything else about robots after COULD be good, but is just shit because it came up first (not to say that C009 doesn't have its flaws, 'cause it has and quite a few, but I'm digressing).
Aug 2, 2012 9:18 AM
Feb 2010
Shaduge said:
And in case you missed it, there were a lot of breaks. Just count how many times in this arc we've had a chapter in two weeks, and next week again there is no chapter. You know, each arc usually takes a year starting from october but look at this one, october is getting closer and this arc barely has half the chapters of FI arc. Clearly there is something amiss here.
And like you said people got mad because of last arc, since after a power up you would expect to see some good fights instead we got one year of fights against fish using drugs, they would have won even before the time skip, and what do we get next? the PH arc where most pages except for the last one were nothing special. I was really disappointed since pretty much every other arc before time skip had special chapters but here we get like 3 good pages with a cliffhanger in the last page which is something oda never resorted to before. It's not that there is no action only talk, it's that even the talking is pointless, so many pointless panels showing zoro and co saying the same lines during the last chapters: keep on running, keep on running, keep on running. I really don't want to see it turn into something like bleach, where chapters are so empty.
And really dragonball and hokuto no ken are the ones that started mangas like one piece and naruto so you can't really compare the last two to them. I laughed at your clueless hate on naruto, I wonder if you even read it because last chapters and this arc in general are on a different level than what you are currently seeing in one piece. You also would be surprised to hear that the "breathing room" arcs don't take 1 volume but like 6 complete volumes at least ( we are talking about a year here not few months).
You are saying one piece has "gorgeous battles". While I agree that the abilities are awesome, the opponents are awesome, I really don't think the battles are awesome except the ones that don't involve the SHs maybe. Why? because it's based on plot powered willpower. While it's not as horrible as fairy tail battles where protagonists keep standing no matter how much they get owned and are able to do the most senseless things ever while antagonists can't do a single thing, it's still important. Pretty much all of them are won by magic, like why wasn't luffy cut by arlong considering arlong's teeths just destroyed that metal pole? why did nami evade all of the attacks of miss doublefinger (spikewoman) like if she had observation haki? there are countless of other examples. Try analysing the battles and you'll see they are nowhere near "gorgeous". Take a look at your "beloved" manga naruto for example, there when someone is supposed to lose he loses there is no imaginary power that's going to save him, when he's going to die he dies, among all the battle shonen I've watched the naruto fights are the ones that make more sense, not to forget how good they are planned. And you are underestimating kishimoto too much, if you read the manga you'll see that most of it was planned and well thought , there rarely is any plothole in it just like one piece, so saying stuff like "by... uh... the author is still deciding it and will notify us as soon as possible" you are either a hater or you are talking about bleach.
Really if you are gonna compliment/hate on something at least analyse it thoroughly before instead of just throwing meaningless words. I have read the mangas so many times, I know what I'm talking about.

He didn't hate on Naruto that much. The statement was very correct. Naruto is a mediocre written battle manga. Because of that, the fights and the characters involving in it are gorgous and the best of all shounen. But the plot and execution is lacking.

One Piece has shown that Oda is a magnificant writer. How he ties things together, how he develops his characters, plans ahead and never seems to forget what he's doing.

If you are for the battles and action, Naruto is the series. If you are for the adventure, fun and a wonderful written Final Fantasy like shounen, One Piece is the series.

This arc alone has adressed many issues at once while connecting to the plot immediately. It answers, it raises questions, it makes reading weekly very fun because of the puzzle we readers are trying to solve and Oda gives us subtile answers to it as each chapter comes out.

The Fishman arc was necessary as he promised it already during the CP9 saga. And it did disappoint mostly because the lack of action and lack of plot. You want them to fight strong opponents head on? That wouldn't be a good idea. Instead of that, he's shown how much the SH have grown by owning a group of average fighters. That's exactly why fishes on drugs were the best opponents for that arc.
While he did that Jinbei was introduced properly and devoped, so was Tiger and koala was introduced. Nami received development and there were alot of ties to Arlong arc overall. Big Mom was introduced and the truth about Shirahoshi will be adressed later on.
Also, the Fishman Island was a seperated world, that's why it was necassary to create many new characters and letting them have a bigger role. The enjoyment suffers a bit from that, because we viewers want to see the main characters but from the series' point of view it is a must.

The fact that the "worst" arc of the series is still written so well displays a lot of skills from Oda. And that "skill" has never been shown by Kishi. Take his last post about Naruto: he will be working towards the ending of the series now. uhm, shouldn't he have been doing that from the start? But because the only shounen writer who has really proved himself besides Oda and maybe Toriyama is Togashi, I'm not making a big deal out of it, though.

Edit; just noticed a horrible typo, if there are more please ignore them.
Chimera_AntAug 2, 2012 10:30 AM
Aug 3, 2012 3:15 AM
Jul 2010
what? i thought it would be like smiley explode because it has eaten another devil fruit ... (imo, in one piece world, if devil fruit user eats another devil fruit, he\she will explode) isn't it suppose to be like that?
Aug 3, 2012 7:14 AM
Oct 2009
For what we know, DFs always resemble some kind of fruit, not a sweet. On the other hand, nothing goes against supposing that gigantic candy held a DF in its core.
Aug 3, 2012 8:08 AM

Jul 2009
PirateKingz said:
kamigawa said:
I don't understand why people are complaining about this chapter.

We have:
-) part of the crew running in the silliest way I've ever seen (I laughed my ass off at that page)
-) Ceasar's master plan in motion, and he's as deranged as ever
-) holy shit, common apples becoming Devil's Fruits! CC is Dr.Vegapunk's rival, AND we know the Doctor is the man with the greatest knowledge about devil's fruits in the whole world (Oda said in one of his special volumes that his Fruit's encylopedia would come up sooner or later!!). This probably means we're going to get some HUGE hints at the Fruit's real powers/origins.
-) The coolest Supernova ever (Law) is going to fight. Against on of the most powerful scientists in the world. And a traitorous marine whose powers we still don't know. WOW
-) In the meantime, the Beast is on a rampage through the island, killing people on sight.

Seriously, wtf else do people need? Oda's hand popping out of the pages and giving you a handjob?

p.s.: and I'm not even fully on Rage Mode because they've just announced Takeshi Obata will be one of the guest at the next convention I'm attending. I'm just too overjoyed to write down a proper rant.

Agreed. Oda has rarely let me down. This week is no exception.

I guess the majority that find the current chapters "boring" are more entertained by typical shounen fights and fail to see the more ambiguous aspects (hints, foreshadowing, etc.) being thrown out by Oda. Closely analyzing each page is what makes OP so interesting.

People didn't think the last two chapters were boring because there were no battles. But because the last two chapters were lacking in any significant story development or foreshadowing. It just consisted of Caesar Clown ranting, Zoro and the others running away from Smiley and showing a bunch of underground brokers.
Aug 3, 2012 8:46 AM

Nov 2009
I've found the last two chapters in One Piece disappointing as well. Had nothing to do with the lack of battles.

kamigawa said:
I don't understand why people are complaining about this chapter.

We have:
-) part of the crew running in the silliest way I've ever seen (I laughed my ass off at that page)
-) Ceasar's master plan in motion, and he's as deranged as ever
-) holy shit, common apples becoming Devil's Fruits! CC is Dr.Vegapunk's rival, AND we know the Doctor is the man with the greatest knowledge about devil's fruits in the whole world (Oda said in one of his special volumes that his Fruit's encylopedia would come up sooner or later!!). This probably means we're going to get some HUGE hints at the Fruit's real powers/origins.
-) The coolest Supernova ever (Law) is going to fight. Against on of the most powerful scientists in the world. And a traitorous marine whose powers we still don't know. WOW
-) In the meantime, the Beast is on a rampage through the island, killing people on sight.

Seriously, wtf else do people need? Oda's hand popping out of the pages and giving you a handjob?

p.s.: and I'm not even fully on Rage Mode because they've just announced Takeshi Obata will be one of the guest at the next convention I'm attending. I'm just too overjoyed to write down a proper rant.

Consider the fact that what you find funny may not be what others find funny.

-) Some people didn't laugh at the way the crew were running. I for one found it lame since they've been running for what seems like a month.

-) I don't consider Law the coolest supernova. I like Kid more.

-) I understand that the apples became devil fruits, but I dislike speculation so I'd rather wait until its been fully explained in the manga. Thus, I didn't find it every interesting.

One Piece is a masterful series that I advocate, but not at the cost of my objectivity. Anyone who found fault in the last two chapters is probably reading from an objective standpoint, able to point out things that they find boring.

84DaysWithoutAug 3, 2012 8:55 AM
Aug 3, 2012 11:45 AM
Oct 2009
Consumed said:
Anyone who found fault in the last two chapters is probably reading from an objective standpoint, able to point out things that they find boring.

So, you're actually saying that when I see these chapters as entertaining I'm subjective and when YOU say they aren't you are objective?

Please wait while I regain my breath, I'm almost drowning in the logical fallacy.
Aug 3, 2012 11:55 AM

Nov 2009
kamigawa said:

So, you're actually saying that when I see these chapters as entertaining I'm subjective and when YOU say they aren't you are objective?

Please wait while I regain my breath, I'm almost drowning in the logical fallacy.

No, I never said that nor did I mean for you to misinterpret it as such. You may find these chapters entertaining because your sense of humor differs from others, was my point. Obviously, everyone who believes the past two chapters of One Piece were entertaining are not judging based on pure subjectivity, please don't leap to conclusions over the internet as its hard to explain my position in a way that isn't offensive. Everyone has a right to think whatever they want of One Piece, if someone believes the last two chapters sucked, then they MAY (Keyword MAY) be viewing the series from a more objective standpoint, meaning they aren't a huge fan such as yourself and read the series more casually. Let me know if I need to further expound upon that.

Clearly, judging from your quote above you are a huge One Piece fan, correct? Well, then its okay to admit you carry some subjectivity, we all do. One Piece isn't my favorite series, I enjoy it and i believe its the best ongoing manga at the moment, but I will occasionally point out a bad chapter or two. Some fans who are more appreciative of the series than I will never in their life admit that One Piece has had a boring chapter, because they find humor in everything the series has to offer.

Of course, this is simply my opinion. Don't take offense to it. You can disagree or agree, but lets not start a flame war over such a great series.
84DaysWithoutAug 3, 2012 12:27 PM
Aug 3, 2012 2:50 PM
Feb 2010
A fact is just a different interpretation - Nietzsche.

Objectivity hardly exist, at least not in the comments implying that somethings sucks or is boring without any arguments.
Aug 3, 2012 3:35 PM
Oct 2009
Consumed said:
(...)

What your reply says, again, is that showing a chapter's fault is being OBJECTIVE.
This means, if my brain is still functional (and it is) that every other kind of opinion about a chapter bears the opposite attribute: SUBJECTIVITY.
Which doesn't make sense. At all.

I have nothing against opinions, since I'm here, on a public board, to discuss about a chapter.
On the other hand, I simply hate being treated as a fool. Please, my reading comprehension skills are working quite well, as my logic ones are.
If you want to say "ok, I dislike them, end of line", no problem by me.
The same doesn't apply to reasonings that could be summed up to "My ideas are right. Your same ideas are wrong on a matter-of-fact basis. Have a nice day".
Aug 7, 2012 4:26 AM

May 2012
At the start of this arc it was really interesting what with Law and smoker but now it's getting quite boring and confusing. I mean I can't tell whether the thing ate a DF or not just now. but it seems as though Doflamingo will make an appearance or will be mention sometime soon so im tuning in =P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2012 4:14 PM

Jul 2009
Was it me or did that apple become a devil fruit? O_o
Aug 8, 2012 2:11 PM

May 2011
Zell182 said:
Was it me or did that apple become a devil fruit? O_o

the apple form become like the devil fruits..that's right but i think it's not a real devil fruit
Aug 8, 2012 6:10 PM
Jul 2011
you know, it still have "plus" side on.

i can read weekly Magi chapter then read OP chapter every two week and found it still interesting. The every two week break make chapters more intense and standalone like and still can brought together as big arch.

5/5 for Oda sensei hard work.
Aug 8, 2012 6:37 PM

Jan 2010
well, that was...uh...boring.
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Aug 12, 2012 12:32 AM

May 2012
Ooooooh The crew is finally back together!, but i wonder what will happen to nami's body and Usopp.... It's nice seeing Smoker and Luffy team up again. Bit weird how everyone is forming alliances now, hopefully they'll fight each other Luffy vs Kid will be a pretty good fight. Kid's new robotic arm =P pretty cool.
Aug 13, 2012 4:26 AM
Jul 2011
quadnia said:
Ooooooh The crew is finally back together!, but i wonder what will happen to nami's body and Usopp.... It's nice seeing Smoker and Luffy team up again. Bit weird how everyone is forming alliances now, hopefully they'll fight each other Luffy vs Kid will be a pretty good fight. Kid's new robotic arm =P pretty cool.

0_o

wrong chap?
Sep 4, 2012 6:31 PM

Oct 2011
Yawn, took me over an hour to finish the chapter, busy watching Dexter lol, new evidence to process!
But srsly this chapter sucked
that fruit part was interesting though, for better or worse
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2017 4:54 AM

Feb 2013
That gas turns people into stone!
Caesar is sick!
Sep 16, 2018 8:41 AM

Dec 2015
Was that a devil fruit???
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 8, 2021 9:18 AM

Jun 2017
Whatever Law's counter-plan is, it better be there enough to also save the marines. I feel so bad for them screaming for Smoker and Tashigi!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jul 12, 2022 5:50 AM

Nov 2020
woah, the apple turned into a devil fruit for being near smiley
can't wait for an explanation
Aug 20, 2022 5:32 AM

Mar 2021
Parroting what others said: THAT APPLE TURNED INTO A DEVIL FRUIT?? BECAUSE OF SMILEY?? HUH???

Oct 24, 2022 12:14 PM

May 2021
Haha so Law really did have some sort of back-up plan after all. Ties into whoever threw Chopper that paper ball.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How many for elbaf people?

sailorsaturn01 - Sep 18

10 by FMmatron »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1127 Discussion

FMmatron - Sep 17

7 by HueyLion »»
50 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1098 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Mei-o_Scarlett - Nov 7, 2023

117 by Frosty »»
Yesterday, 1:43 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 623 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kevin_video - Apr 30, 2011

50 by Sky_Chicken »»
Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 621 Discussion

smokes - Apr 13, 2011

40 by Sky_Chicken »»
Yesterday, 12:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.