Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 11, 5:57 PM

Mar 2019
Beef broth with vodka? I had never heard of it, I'm going to try to do it here at home.🍵
Apr 11, 8:10 PM
Apr 2021
This is such a comfy show man same with Yuru Camp it just gives that chill vibe with the soft voices and chill atmosphere🔥

So Miwa’s grandfather is the guy who runs the hotel she’s working at, as soon as I saw the last names I knew she’s gotta be family of his I just thought that was his daughter not granddaughter tho I mean if his granddaughter is old enough to be drinking and working for a hotel that specializes in hiring bartenders I wonder how old his daughter is😳

Another chill episode tho this is definitely my comfort anime of the season I guess🤗
Apr 11, 9:32 PM
Feb 2015
Another comforting episode, One for the road, a drink to part with the day.

Sasakura is an observant man, he making bartender job seeming like detective and counselor at the same time. Bullshot for today episode suit the woman in glasses very well. The director of Hotel aka Grandpa of hotel a tough customer also came to like Ryu. It interesting why he lied about being acrophobia.
Apr 11, 10:11 PM
Feb 2015
Reply to Kimurah
"For travelers from overseas who arrive at the hotel late at night, the first human they speak to in this country is the hotel bartender"

What if anyone arriving from overseas is hungry, they would go first to a restaurant or food stall. What about if they are dead tired on arrival? They would check in and go straight to their hotel room. How do they even get to their destinations after they drop off the plane? They would probably use a taxi cab, specially in the dead of night. There would be plenty of people to interact way before going into a bar, the bartender wouldn't be the first to give them the welcome.

Out of all the drinks the old master could have prepared to the old guy, Sasakura coincidentally prepared "the one" and exactly like the old guy liked it? I call this bullshit. The explanation about the right amount of cold was also quite farfetched.

I understand that the whole format is going to be a one on one talk from the wisest man on earth that will do the right guess with very little information (and ignoring the plethora of possible coincidences), but the whole "Ratatouille" skit of changing people's life with one drink is bound to get tiresome really fast. Yotsuiro Biyori also did this kind of format, but at least their cafe/restaurant was almost always full and the animators had to make it look full of customers, rather than look like the most sterile and boring place.

The bullshit for the phrase "one for the road" was also quite hilariously bad. I guess that's the biggest mottif for the series, bullshit with a straight face and the ignorants will believe everything you throw at them.

The old man telling Sasakura he had the imagination of a school kid, is on par with the writing. It feels like the author was no older than 12 when they came up with this.

Kimurah said:
Out of all the drinks the old master could have prepared to the old guy, Sasakura coincidentally prepared "the one" and exactly like the old guy liked it? I call this bullshit. The explanation about the right amount of cold was also quite farfetched.

Isn't Sasakura failed at few attempt till he got it right with Old Pal and that was the second session? He don't coincidentally prepare it, he make that judgement and collecting the information before concocted the drink to fill his customer need. The old man was friend with the late master and he was in Yokohama, making Sasakura come to the conclusion to make that Old pal in that way to not change the taste.

Kimurah said:
For travelers from overseas who arrive at the hotel late at night, the first human they speak to in this country is the hotel bartender"

I'm no traveler and all but it could be said the first person they speak in long duration or have a chat could be bartender, as Ryou have experienced living outside of japan, multi language ability would be advantageous to the hotel. Not many Japanese can speak english fluently or so I've heard.
Apr 11, 11:11 PM
Sep 2022
another good episode, one of my favorite animes so far this season

enjoyable to learn about alcohol and watch the episode unfold
Apr 12, 1:09 AM
Aug 2021
cery cool show. i want to drink booze now.
Apr 12, 8:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Reply to FMmatron
The disrespect of asking him to get a sake from the vending machine was crazy, lmao.
@FMmatron That was brutal. I was expecting him to tell the guy to pheck off with that one. I suppose the Japanese sense of hierarchy and service tradition doesn't permit that, but in many places a self respecting top bartender would refuse such a request.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 12, 1:20 PM
Jun 2021
I like this show, its comfortable and a great weekly watch
Apr 12, 10:58 PM
Feb 2024
I am loving this so much, it has everything I could want in this type of anime. Relaxing/subtle music, great animation, tone-downed colors, and interesting plot. Its a plus that I love bartending as well. This really is a great anime, it leaves me feeling dismayed that the episode is over unlike some anime. Every second has me enraptured, I hope it keeps it up:)
Apr 13, 2:44 AM

Jun 2021
Not just visually appealing to watch, I'm learning a thing or two about drinks along the way. A Win-Win show
Apr 13, 5:58 AM
Mar 2024
Nice please keep improving the animation.
Apr 13, 7:59 AM

Aug 2017
Very chill. I wonder if all the jobs are like that. Telling "come and work for us!" at a guy who's already working in somplace seems just rude to me.

Also, who's the main character of this story? seems that the girls are since they have a clear quest.
Apr 13, 3:30 PM
Sep 2021
Great episode excited for next episode. Also couldn't find the anything about the novel being a real novel.
Apr 13, 6:22 PM

Sep 2023
This is very chill but also not that interesting, I don't really care about a random bargoer story, hopefully we won't get a new one every week.
Apr 13, 6:25 PM
Dec 2022
its just so peak...
Apr 13, 7:54 PM

Dec 2016
jumbosan said:
Isn't Sasakura failed at few attempt till he got it right with Old Pal and that was the second session?

Good lord your poor grammar gave me a headache.

He prepared a few drinks. Lets say he prepared 3 drinks before hitting the jackpot, That's still one hell of a coincidence out of probably more than 100 drinks that any bartender could prepare.

jumbosan said:
He don't coincidentally prepare it, he make that judgement and collecting the information before concocted the drink to fill his customer need.

WTH are you smoking dude? He didn't do any research or collect any kind of information. The only hint the old dude gave him was that they were old aquaintances. They didn't provide any resourceful info that would lead to that very specific drink. If there had been any tangible information, you would had made a list of hints that would cue in the whole audience on what he might be looking for.

jumbosan said:
The old man was friend with the late master and he was in Yokohama, making Sasakura come to the conclusion to make that Old pal in that way to not change the taste

This explains absolutely nothing how Sasaki would have guessed that particular drink out of a dozen drinks that are probably customary in Yokohama and that would be the right one. You should really watch good shows that provide tangible evidence for a smartass main characters that lead them to deduct the right answers rather than just fall for "oh it's anime, any verbal diahrrea they blurt out fits in to solve a mystery". Which also leads to my other point on how Sasaki was talking out of his ass about what an american phrase such as "one for the road" was all bullshit.

jumbosan said:
I'm no traveler and all but it could be said the first person they speak in long duration or have a chat could be bartender, as Ryou have experienced living outside of japan, multi language ability would be advantageous to the hotel. Not many Japanese can speak english fluently or so I've heard.

And they could also have a chat with the girl attending the combini, or the waitress at an izakaya, or the hotel clerk. There's nothing in your argument that makes a bartender some sort of magical being that does a better job (specially if they are talking to people who don't speak japanese) to listen to tired travelers. My original statement was to point out that Miwa's opening dialogue was a fallacy out of the many other possibilities. Just like Sasaki's bullshit dialogue claiming that there are only 2 people you shouldn't be dishonest, when being dishonest with people in authority, or profesional counselours could lead to even worse outcomes. Like I said a lot of the dialogues are meant to impress gullible and ignorant teens and make the audience think Sasaki is some sort of wise man in his early 20s.

KimurahApr 13, 8:11 PM
Apr 14, 2:22 AM
Feb 2015
Reply to Kimurah
jumbosan said:
Isn't Sasakura failed at few attempt till he got it right with Old Pal and that was the second session?

He prepared a few drinks. Lets say he prepared 3 drinks before hitting the jackpot, That's still one hell of a coincidence out of probably more than 100 drinks that any bartender could prepare.

jumbosan said:
He don't coincidentally prepare it, he make that judgement and collecting the information before concocted the drink to fill his customer need.

WTH are you smoking dude? He didn't do any research or collect any kind of information. The only hint the old dude gave him was that they were old aquaintances. They didn't provide any resourceful info that would lead to that very specific drink. If there had been any tangible information, you would had made a list of hints that would cue in the whole audience on what he might be looking for.

jumbosan said:
The old man was friend with the late master and he was in Yokohama, making Sasakura come to the conclusion to make that Old pal in that way to not change the taste

This explains absolutely nothing how Sasaki would have guessed that particular drink out of a dozen drinks that are probably customary in Yokohama and that would be the right one. You should really watch good shows that provide tangible evidence for a smartass main characters that lead them to deduct the right answers rather than just fall for "oh it's anime, any verbal diahrrea they blurt out fits in to solve a mystery". Which also leads to my other point on how Sasaki was talking out of his ass about what an american phrase such as "one for the road" was all bullshit.

jumbosan said:

And they could also have a chat with the girl attending the combini, or the waitress at an izakaya, or the hotel clerk. There's nothing in your argument that makes a bartender some sort of magical being that does a better job (specially if they are talking to people who don't speak japanese) to listen to tired travelers. My original statement was to point out that Miwa's opening dialogue was a fallacy out of the many other possibilities. Just like Sasaki's bullshit dialogue claiming that there are only 2 people you shouldn't be dishonest, when being dishonest with people in authority, or profesional counselours could lead to even worse outcomes. Like I said a lot of the dialogues are meant to impress gullible and ignorant teens and make the audience think Sasaki is some sort of wise man in his early 20s.

Kimurah said:
They didn't provide any resourceful info that would lead to that very specific drink. If there had been any tangible information, you would had made a list of hints that would cue in the whole audience on what he might be looking for.

I don't do it because I was expecting you (as a viewer) to notice the obvious hint, if you do give attention and watching the episode properly, that is.

1) The master came every 22th day of the month to pay his respect as Old acquaintance / Old friend = Old Pal.

https://imgur.com/knkubq0

2) The picture on counter top, beside the calendar (The picture of old man, his wife, old master and old pal) . In first meeting the picture was hidden and Sasakura doesn't notice about it yet but after the third meeting, the picture is revealed meaning Sasakura / we know the truth).

https://imgur.com/MDcUXKo

Kimurah said:
This explains absolutely nothing how Sasaki would have guessed that particular drink out of a dozen drinks that are probably customary in Yokohama and that would be the right one.

3)There's no way to ascertain if the drink old man want to drink is exactly old pal. What is certain is he want the nostalgic taste of drink like the old master made for him. So by the same logic, any drink would be fine if it made by the same method of old pal. (the chillin method).

https://imgur.com/Plf07RI
https://imgur.com/YeAAIPP

*Disclaimer There's no way to know exactly how Sasakura mind work to be like so this is what i conjured and assumed as an audience. Also pardon me gentleman to not be an english savvy, didn't know that we had an english test here.

Kimurah said:

Since when did i say bartender does better job than others ? It just highly likely for the tourist to speak with bartender IF THEY CHECK IN/ ARRIVING THE HOTEL late at night. Simply as that, assuming they don't go wandering in konbini or izakaya but straight to the hotel as they get tired from the travelling.
jumbosanApr 14, 3:39 AM
Apr 14, 2:56 AM
May 2018
Boring, cliche, no creativity
Apr 14, 5:13 AM

Aug 2014
I like that drink with soup :D I made soup with vodka once, and also used hot spices like chilli, but never used worseter to soup :O

Too bad drinks at bars are so expensive and small.. I would try some more sometimes

Anyway he acts so polite, but him closing his bar at whim is ultra rude.. he should have website so they don't come to kiss the door handle..
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Apr 14, 1:27 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to KikiSohma
@KaedeKyl9

Don't know where you got this idea since 90% of anime have fake brands because they are not sponsored by them.
E.g. Fantan (Fanta) McRonalds (McDonalds), NewTube (Youtube), Abibas (Adidas), Heegen-Dazs (Haagen-Dazs), etc.
Sometimes because they planned for a sponsor but it fell through.

Unless the rules changed this year?
@KikiSohma Oh that, huh, I meant alcoholic beverages, only I can remember getting perms are Japanese Brands, like sake and beers, but foreign wines and champagnes, like this one here and Dom Perignon which was featured too much common in anime, didn't need perms.
Apr 14, 4:21 PM

Jan 2013
A soup with alcohol in it, that's Ryu for you.

I do find the persistence of the girls a bit annoying. Well more like their approach. Don't just ask him "come work for us" and repeat that over. Just do something.

The lawyer woman was hot
Apr 15, 9:08 AM
Apr 2023
I started watching this show for a bizarre reason* but now I cannot stop. I feel the same warmth and comfort after every episode even though I am not the one talking and drinking.

*Honkai Star Rail had a limited-time event "Vignettes in a Cup" where you play as a bartender, talk to characters, and solve their emotional troubles.
Apr 15, 9:21 AM

Jan 2017
This show gives me relaxation I swear~

I like how Sasakura made a wordplay with the drink he served to the lawyer. I like his gentleness, but he could also be quite nasty huh? 😊
sakurasyinksApr 15, 9:25 AM
Apr 15, 9:50 AM

Jan 2011
Really enjoying this anime, would love more realistic stuff. Getting sick of the isekai and harem stuff everywhere.
Apr 15, 10:34 AM

Jul 2021
Again, the show has good vibes, but the dialogue and the characters feel a little flat, forced, and somewhat preachy. I'm kind of surprised this series has such a long history and a dedicated following.

Kimurah said:
"For travelers from overseas who arrive at the hotel late at night, the first human they speak to in this country is the hotel bartender"

What if anyone arriving from overseas is hungry, they would go first to a restaurant or food stall. What about if they are dead tired on arrival? They would check in and go straight to their hotel room. How do they even get to their destinations after they drop off the plane? They would probably use a taxi cab, specially in the dead of night. There would be plenty of people to interact way before going into a bar, the bartender wouldn't be the first to give them the welcome.

That line in its exact wording does sound ridiculous, but I just interpreted that as the bartender being the first person that you can "sit down and have a conversation with", about topics that aren't strictly related to the business at hand (e.g. ordering food, asking for directions).

Sure, you can have a chat with other people, but a bartender is better suited to actually "talk" with their customers than most. It's kind of expected of them to listen to people talk and make sure they have a good time during that conversation. You wouldn't often talk at length with a konbini clerk about how exhausting your business trip has been or about that famous singer that passed away recently. I guess a cab driver could be another good conversation partner, but I don't know if Japanese cab drivers are very talkative in general (or are expected to be).

Of course, this depends on the type of establishment and where you are in the world. But from what I've heard of Japanese bar culture, bartenders aren't just guys who serve drinks; they're a conversation partner, mentor, therapist, perhaps even a friend. There are sometimes dozens of tiny bars in a single city block in Japan, and a big part of why people frequent a specific bar has to do with their relationship with the proprietor.

So I don't think there's a problem with the premise of the bartender being a unique profession that can have a profound effect on the customers. I do think there's a problem with the way the show tries to sell that idea to me, though.

Kimurah said:

Yeahhh this part was a little ridiculous and poorly explained. I assume the bartender asked around and did some research... and he's supposedly an unnaturally perceptive, Sherlock Holmes level detective. That coldness/room temperature thing was also kind of hard to believe, but then I'm not a cocktail connoisseur. If you know anything about it, do share.

Kimurah said:
The bullshit for the phrase "one for the road" was also quite hilariously bad.

What's the BS? I always thought that's what the phrase meant. It's that last drink before you head out for the day, to give yourself that extra push. Is there a different meaning?
Apr 15, 4:04 PM
Mar 2024
This show is honestly really relaxing. I could do without the b plot of those two girls trying to recruit him to their bar.
Apr 15, 10:09 PM
Aug 2020
felixsifuri said:
I love the wittiness behind giving her a bull shot, a shame that that novel isn't actually a thing. Also when he said he didnt want to say something to the duo insisting on hiring him, I thought he'd tell them to leave, but was pleasantly surprised, lol. Gotta place the bar on the ground floor now.

It is ACTUALLY a thing. Go read the novel lmao.
Apr 16, 11:47 AM
Apr 2024
J'ai adoré ! Binks
Apr 17, 2:31 AM

Dec 2015
Seems different than the old anime - yet using the same persons and adapting the same stuff I think.
I guess the old anime tried to be more artistic in the way it told stuff. This one probably closer to the source?
(Have not read the source though.)

Liking the new one and how the old guy got introduced. This has a different feeling than the old one. (Both good - so far.) I wonder if the smartphone stuff was to explain that they won't use many smartphones later - to not make the anime feel odd in amodern setting? (Source seems to have started in 2004 I think smartphones just started to get popular these days and a transition from the old normal cell phones.)

I really like the voice actor of the old guy and the old guy himself. This surely will focus on closer keeping the girl(s) in the story + the old guy trying to recruit our main - while telling the episodic stories of the other customers. While the old anime was more focused purely on the episodic stories with an artistic way of telling the story. (The mentor guys of the main char used in a narrator-style way in the background appearing to explain things when they are not really physically in the same room. Stuff like that.)

New favorite guy lol. Need to re-arrange the list or buy supporter for that VA. He did not do that many newer stuff but I saw he did Sverkel from Vinland Saga and the Mitsunari guy from Baki.
Apr 17, 2:23 PM
Jul 2022
it not make me exiting but hope will be
Apr 18, 10:36 AM

May 2015
This was an interesting shift from "amazing" to "awful" for Sasakura. I guess, not everyone's going to be pleased no matter the skills put into a drink, but he still resolved it in the end. The asshole talk and parallels with the lawyer were a nice touch too.
Apr 18, 11:15 AM
Jan 2024
Classy staging with an elegant depth. I look forward to the coming scenarios.
Apr 18, 12:58 PM

Dec 2016
jumbosan said:
I don't do it because I was expecting you (as a viewer) to notice the obvious hint, if you do give attention and watching the episode properly, that is.

1) The master came every 22th day of the month to pay his respect as Old acquaintance / Old friend = Old Pal.

2) The picture on counter top, beside the calendar (The picture of old man, his wife, old master and old pal) . In first meeting the picture was hidden and Sasakura doesn't notice about it yet but after the third meeting, the picture is revealed meaning Sasakura / we know the truth).

This explains absolutely nothing how Sasakura deducted that a drink like "old pal" would be the right thing for the old guy. You're doing the exact same thing that japanese people with poor english knowledge would fall for, just a word game and nod "yeah it all fits", but nothing out of it fits.

The old guy was a regular that liked the style of the old master. They most likely drank the "hip or popular stuff" that was crafted in that age. Young people don't go into a bar and order an old guy drink.

Your statement that Sasakura did his "research" is a complete lie.

jumbosan said:
Since when did i say bartender does better job than others ? It just highly likely for the tourist to speak with bartender IF THEY CHECK IN/ ARRIVING THE HOTEL late at night. Simply as that, assuming they don't go wandering in konbini or izakaya but straight to the hotel as they get tired from the travelling.

I didn't state that you said it. I pointed out that the show makes a great fallacy into convincing the gullible audience that "there can only be one outcome" when there can be a plethora of those. Heck there's another job that it's specific to listening to travelers or stressed out people also involving alcohol. That's right, "hostesses" also do that.

My point is that people like you are doing tumbles and cartwheels to explain something that has no defense and never provided beliveable evidence on their deducting methods. In the old days we used to call this line of thought as a "flea circus". There are no fleas moving the trapeze or other circus gadgets, it's all small mechanical contraptions that provide movement and "sell the idea" of fleas moving them, they sell the idea that the fleas are so small that people can't see them and they just want you to believe there are there and also make others believe the same fallacy.
KimurahApr 18, 1:18 PM
Apr 19, 2:59 AM
Sep 2021
That gentleness & relaxing nature of this bartender anime is really good & hits the spot.
Apr 19, 9:41 AM
Feb 2015
Reply to Kimurah
jumbosan said:

This explains absolutely nothing how Sasakura deducted that a drink like "old pal" would be the right thing for the old guy. You're doing the exact same thing that japanese people with poor english knowledge would fall for, just a word game and nod "yeah it all fits", but nothing out of it fits.

The old guy was a regular that liked the style of the old master. They most likely drank the "hip or popular stuff" that was crafted in that age. Young people don't go into a bar and order an old guy drink.

Your statement that Sasakura did his "research" is a complete lie.

jumbosan said:

I didn't state that you said it. I pointed out that the show makes a great fallacy into convincing the gullible audience that "there can only be one outcome" when there can be a plethora of those. Heck there's another job that it's specific to listening to travelers or stressed out people also involving alcohol. That's right, "hostesses" also do that.

My point is that people like you are doing tumbles and cartwheels to explain something that has no defense and never provided beliveable evidence on their deducting methods. In the old days we used to call this line of thought as a "flea circus". There are no fleas moving the trapeze or other circus gadgets, it's all small mechanical contraptions that provide movement and "sell the idea" of fleas moving them, they sell the idea that the fleas are so small that people can't see them and they just want you to believe there are there and also make others believe the same fallacy.
Kimurah said:
They most likely drank the "hip or popular stuff" that was crafted in that age. Young people don't go into a bar and order an old guy drink.

"MOST LIKELY", what a bold assumption to make, did you perhaps work as a bartender or are you the old man himself living in Yokohama during the 80's ?, where did you get that confidence and source he won't order old pal as a young man? he was the old master customer since he was apprentice meaning he would have tasted more than one type at least of cocktail including old pal. As much as i won't say my opinion is factually correct, speaking from baseless source (trust me man) and ego bs isn't doing you much favor man. Just accept thing like the anime give to you instead of stubbornly disrespecting and throwing BASELESS accusation toward Sasakura, what did you expect from less than 25 minutes anime lmao. An hour detective game? this is just bartender slice of life comfort anime.

Kimurah said:

Look, are you having trouble with comprehension or need to get your eyes checked ? Obviously, the photos of old man with his wife and OLD PAL IN THEIR HAND should be suffice to say a big hint in this even with his situation as OLD PAL to late master (I even gave you the pictures smh, just click on it and see it for yourself). The third point is specialized to counter what you say, we don't know for sure what old man want since he didn't specify on wanting a specific drink but WHAT IS STATED IN THE ANIME, he want the old taste resembling of late owner drink which Sasakura succeed to make based on the chilling method. Perhaps it does not even matter if it old pal or not but the nostalgic feeling he get from the drink.

Even if it thrown in front of your face, you're just unable to see the thing as what it is to not lose in an internet argument lol, at least i gave you evidence not throwing baseless accusation and unfounded opinion. If you even read and see the episode properly, this kind of question won't even emerged. The hint is simple and everything fall into the place, it not the kind of anime you need to wring your brain power and over thinking, that what's makes it good and easy to understand.

Kimurah said:

Sure there can be countless outcome, but bartender also one of highly possibility outcome for the foreigner to meet in late night. So what's the point of this again? ( this is as fruitless as proving shrodinger cat theory).
Kimura said (okyakusama ni totte wa) From the customer pov/ For the customer. Mean it could be that she heard it herself from the customer or someone else, that bartender makes the biggest impression for the tourist arriving late in the hotel. It could be true or even rumor and even if it is what's the problem? it to assert the importance of bartender and resolve to make Sasakura as the counter bartender plot wise.

This is not the anime where you want mindgames and working your brain and proving your point. It a simple anime of comforting the customer and bartender. i don't see the point of longering this anymore
jumbosanApr 19, 10:39 AM
Apr 20, 6:41 AM

Jul 2017
With Edenhall out of business for a day snce Ryu is helping out a fellow bartender at the Lupin bar, the ladies fail to find him, while he serves the bar's precocious customer whom Ryu is trying to read his thoughts. And bar after bar, both Yukari and Miwa managed to finally locate Ryu to recruit him to Hotel Cardinal, but he's not ready yet, and perseveres in their recruitment, which they keep missing him thereafter. With the same clientele, Ryu concocted a story with a drink, and that finally managed to resonate with him, as Miwa's grandfather has locked him in his sights.

A woman trying to get out of the rain, and Ryu having to service her out of a dull day with a Bull Shot, made out of beef bouillon and vodka. And with the change of drinks, she finds herself rejuvenated by Ryu's words for a better outset of life as a lawyer. But in regard to the high-rise bar, a blatant lie that he's afraid of heights, how to ever force him into the role, but not in a way that feels condescending?

Very comforting service.
Apr 21, 4:45 AM

May 2013
Reply to Kimurah
@destinyunknown

Bro, you're like the cartoon version of people in this site that use a strawman to counter anything. Stay in school, don't be a fool, learn how to debate.

@Kimurah

You dont even know what a strawman is. You came here all mighty about how much you hate a plot that doesnt make sense and where everything happens nonsensically... yet your favorite anime is famous for doing exactly just that. You need to revise your standards because they are completely incoherent.

Or if you can't, at least shut up and dont criticize stuff other people enjoy.
Apr 28, 3:38 AM

Aug 2019
I like how determined he was to find the perfect drink for the old man. He took the “awful” comment personally lmao.
May 9, 9:08 AM
Feb 2021
I almost forgot to write a post about this episode after seeing it yesterday...

All I can say is that this Bartender has done it yet again. I love how he handles his situations, like with the older guy not like any drink that was given to him, because he expects only the ones you used to drink from his favorite bartender. It just goes to show you that even the glass of god can make mistakes pleasing the customer (I'm sure all the drinks weren't bad though, again the old man just keep denying him until he made the one that really hits close to home for him)

As for the other drink he made for the lawyer lady that was also trying to be mean, had a change of heart later when he cooked her a soup like drink with a little bit of Alcohol in it. The drink was called "One for the road" or something like that, but it always impresses me on how this bartender makes these drinks in a way that his customers will be friends with him and will always come back. Like that's how you run a Bartender business!

I hope the ladies that keep visiting will make him said yes for the job at the hotel, there must be a REAL REASON he doesn't want to leave his Elen Bar and I can't wait to see him make the famous drink "Glass of God". Other 10/10 episode, can't wait to see his next drinks.
May 9, 5:07 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I like how Ryu is not absolutely over-powered and gets the right drink for each customer on the first try every time- but he will keep trying until he does.

One small nitpick about this episode is that the grandpa dude had a bit TOO fast of a reaction to the final drink. Man barely took the first sip and was like WOW THIS IS PERFECT! A more gradual reaction would've been more real, like the lawyer lady's, as they focused on her shoulders relaxing. Although it was pretty funny, it's basically "trash, trash, trash, trash, AMAZING!"

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 10, 2:41 PM

Jan 2022
tfw when your comment doesn't save on here.

The girls are convinced and are working extremely hard and OT to get the bartender on board. They no longer get compensation which is messed up. I don't blame them bc he's incredible at his job. Its super impressive.

The old fart was rude as hell and complained too much. Thankfully he did a 180 and had a change of mind. It seems like he's also convinced and warmed up to the bartender. The bar is a safe space for the old man, I guess? He's been going there for years.'

The black haired lady though... the bartender handled the situation perfectly which further proved to the girls that he would be perfect for the hotel since people aren't always happy. She became less tense with the first sip. He's incredible at reading people.
This never updates so that's cool
May 16, 5:05 AM

Jul 2023
This remake humanises Ryuu. Here, he can still make mistakes and learn accordingly.

Unlike in the original, we have this plot of Miwa and her friend trying to coax him to work at their hotel. Miwa's grandpa was the first customer this episode, and I'm sure he would gladly have him on board.
May 16, 6:50 AM

Dec 2016
destinyunknown said:
yet your favorite anime is famous for doing exactly just that.

I'll repeat what I said before. You're the epitome cartoonish depiction of the lowest userbase of this site. You can only make a retort by crying like a child "bUt yoUr fAvOrIte aNiMe aLsO DoEsit" rather than actually refute anything I said about the show.

destinyunknown said:
Or if you can't, at least shut up and dont criticize stuff other people enjoy.

Adults learn how to enjoy entertainment that others don't. You're obviously not an adult and you shouldn't be reading discussion boards where different perspectives are meant to be poured.
KimurahMay 16, 7:40 AM
May 16, 7:35 AM

Dec 2016
jumbosan said:
"MOST LIKELY", what a bold assumption to make, did you perhaps work as a bartender or are you the old man himself living in Yokohama during the 80's ?, where did you get that confidence and source he won't order old pal as a young man? he was the old master customer since he was apprentice meaning he would have tasted more than one type at least of cocktail including old pal. As much as i won't say my opinion is factually correct, speaking from baseless source (trust me man) and ego bs isn't doing you much favor man. Just accept thing like the anime give to you instead of stubbornly disrespecting and throwing BASELESS accusation toward Sasakura, what did you expect from less than 25 minutes anime lmao. An hour detective game? this is just bartender slice of life comfort anime.

So you're saying that my theory could also be correct since both you and me are on the same level based on lack of information. The old man could eventually have tasted "Old Pals" but it feels awfully off character for a young man to order. Also, this is an actual fact, the old guy NEVER stated he actually tasted this particular drink. His only words were that it was something that tasted like the og bartender would serve. So it does tilt on my theory that he probably never tasted that one particular drink, and any dated drink that Sasakura would have served would have actually satisfied his need to be reminiscent of the past.

Also, Sasakura is just a character (a cardboard character without past that defines his current status). He's not real, he's not going to log in the forums and thank you for white knighting him. Neither will the author. I don't see why you get so personal by saying that I'm disrespecting him.

jumbosan said:
Look, are you having trouble with comprehension or need to get your eyes checked ? Obviously, the photos of old man with his wife and OLD PAL IN THEIR HAND should be suffice to say a big hint in this even with his situation as OLD PAL to late master (I even gave you the pictures smh, just click on it and see it for yourself). The third point is specialized to counter what you say, we don't know for sure what old man want since he didn't specify on wanting a specific drink but WHAT IS STATED IN THE ANIME, he want the old taste resembling of late owner drink which Sasakura succeed to make based on the chilling method. Perhaps it does not even matter if it old pal or not but the nostalgic feeling he get from the drink.

You're just playing mental gymnastics by using "word play" and trying to match the words old pal with old drink and expect to eveyrone else to be dumbfounded (like the writer of this episode expects). The only way Sasakura would have made a proper deducting job and hitting the nail on the head would had been if he had real information about the drink, like body, smell, product based taste, alchohol level, etcetera etcetera. If you want to believe anime bullshit, be my guess. I'm not the regular gullible watcher. The only thing the photo provided was that it was in a previous era, but it didn't give anything specific as in time period, place or even fashion in order to know what kind of drink it would properly fit. You're just waving a picture saying, look, picture, evidence, it fits, DURR HURR

If the episodes are too short to properly portray Sasakura as a genius profiler, maybe the writers should ease off on padding material that goes nowhere (like telling us that he's no good with phones, that's a plotline that has gone nowhere in whole 7 episodes). Also, detective shows use an hour to crack a case by being thorough on the cops' leads and the culprits' past and present events. But the profiling parts really take less than a minute. The difference is that the writers will create a well cemented "suit" for the detective to analyze and fish out information, like food debri or small crayon marks on a professor suit giving the detective the idea that the guy he's talking to came in a rush after feeding breakfast to his kid so he probably had time to be in a crime scene. Unlike this show where it will throw the most asinine parallels and the audience must be dumb enough to believe them, like stating that a lady in the bar should be a lawyer just because she owns a particular bag, or that a guy with a straight spine fits in the bearings of a hotel manager.

Either properly write a genius guy by cementing his deductions with real logic (not bs anime logic) or make him simple and flawed in his stupid verbal diahrrea. Also make the supporting cast smart, not just idiots that will fill in the role of "yes men" and believe all the bullshit Sasakura will throw at them.

jumbosan said:
Sure there can be countless outcome, but bartender also one of highly possibility outcome for the foreigner to meet in late night. So what's the point of this again? ( this is as fruitless as proving shrodinger cat theory).

It can be ONE out of many possibilities, so it's not really a HIGH possibility as you state. The point is to prove that Sasakura is a snake oil salesman and dumb gullible people will believe his bullshit and try to shove it as real fact.

jumbosan said:
Kimura said (okyakusama ni totte wa) From the customer pov/ For the customer. Mean it could be that she heard it herself from the customer or someone else, that bartender makes the biggest impression for the tourist arriving late in the hotel. It could be true or even rumor and even if it is what's the problem? it to assert the importance of bartender and resolve to make Sasakura as the counter bartender plot wise.

Now we are going into "maybe" territory. If he heard it from a customer, why didn't he state so? Rather than place all his absurd takes as undeniable facts (undeniable because the dumb support cast never questions the validity of his words). This is the main problem with his character, ALL OF HIS TAKES come out as a fact. If they were worded as "I believe..." or "my best guess..." I would at least feel that he's just misinformed and it's just parroting to fit in the job of a salesman, that would get a bit of sympathy on my behalf. There's that story he made up about "one for the road" phrase that was nothing short but lies.

jumbosan said:
This is not the anime where you want mindgames and working your brain and proving your point. It a simple anime of comforting the customer and bartender. i don't see the point of longering this anymore

No, this is the anime that should be relaxing by properly writing characters and their stories. Not by shoving a cardboard cutout that spills out dumb pseudofacts like a chatgpt-bot linked to wikipedia.

KimurahMay 16, 7:55 AM
May 17, 2:57 AM
Feb 2015
Reply to Kimurah
jumbosan said:

So you're saying that my theory could also be correct since both you and me are on the same level based on lack of information. The old man could eventually have tasted "Old Pals" but it feels awfully off character for a young man to order. Also, this is an actual fact, the old guy NEVER stated he actually tasted this particular drink. His only words were that it was something that tasted like the og bartender would serve. So it does tilt on my theory that he probably never tasted that one particular drink, and any dated drink that Sasakura would have served would have actually satisfied his need to be reminiscent of the past.

Also, Sasakura is just a character (a cardboard character without past that defines his current status). He's not real, he's not going to log in the forums and thank you for white knighting him. Neither will the author. I don't see why you get so personal by saying that I'm disrespecting him.

jumbosan said:

You're just playing mental gymnastics by using "word play" and trying to match the words old pal with old drink and expect to eveyrone else to be dumbfounded (like the writer of this episode expects). The only way Sasakura would have made a proper deducting job and hitting the nail on the head would had been if he had real information about the drink, like body, smell, product based taste, alchohol level, etcetera etcetera. If you want to believe anime bullshit, be my guess. I'm not the regular gullible watcher. The only thing the photo provided was that it was in a previous era, but it didn't give anything specific as in time period, place or even fashion in order to know what kind of drink it would properly fit. You're just waving a picture saying, look, picture, evidence, it fits, DURR HURR

If the episodes are too short to properly portray Sasakura as a genius profiler, maybe the writers should ease off on padding material that goes nowhere (like telling us that he's no good with phones, that's a plotline that has gone nowhere in whole 7 episodes). Also, detective shows use an hour to crack a case by being thorough on the cops' leads and the culprits' past and present events. But the profiling parts really take less than a minute. The difference is that the writers will create a well cemented "suit" for the detective to analyze and fish out information, like food debri or small crayon marks on a professor suit giving the detective the idea that the guy he's talking to came in a rush after feeding breakfast to his kid so he probably had time to be in a crime scene. Unlike this show where it will throw the most asinine parallels and the audience must be dumb enough to believe them, like stating that a lady in the bar should be a lawyer just because she owns a particular bag, or that a guy with a straight spine fits in the bearings of a hotel manager.

Either properly write a genius guy by cementing his deductions with real logic (not bs anime logic) or make him simple and flawed in his stupid verbal diahrrea. Also make the supporting cast smart, not just idiots that will fill in the role of "yes men" and believe all the bullshit Sasakura will throw at them.

jumbosan said:

It can be ONE out of many possibilities, so it's not really a HIGH possibility as you state. The point is to prove that Sasakura is a snake oil salesman and dumb gullible people will believe his bullshit and try to shove it as real fact.

jumbosan said:

Now we are going into "maybe" territory. If he heard it from a customer, why didn't he state so? Rather than place all his absurd takes as undeniable facts (undeniable because the dumb support cast never questions the validity of his words). This is the main problem with his character, ALL OF HIS TAKES come out as a fact. If they were worded as "I believe..." or "my best guess..." I would at least feel that he's just misinformed and it's just parroting to fit in the job of a salesman, that would get a bit of sympathy on my behalf. There's that story he made up about "one for the road" phrase that was nothing short but lies.

jumbosan said:

No, this is the anime that should be relaxing by properly writing characters and their stories. Not by shoving a cardboard cutout that spills out dumb pseudofacts like a chatgpt-bot linked to wikipedia.

Kimurah said:
So it does tilt on my theory that he probably never tasted that one particular drink, and any dated drink that Sasakura would have served would have actually satisfied his need to be reminiscent of the past.

No it doesn't, even you said it before, he probably actually have tasted it and remember he was friend with experienced master since he was apprentice and why does it matter, if he order it as young man or not? why contradicting yourselves at this point? and the old man have said to Sasakura to use dated drink just because of his age is showing his lack of creativity. If i was white knighting Sasakura and the author, i would say for sure the drink have to be old pal and everything comes out of his mouth is 100% fact but no. I just properly respecting him as character that is very observant to his customer need, he also not genius or as flawless as you accused, the audience is not as gullible or stupid as you said either.

Let me be clear, you think Sasakura is genius blank cardboard character and what he saying to the audience is spewing nonsense and the picture is not Old pal just because it didn't stated anywhere ? Didn't it even occur to you Sasakura have other sources to verifying the picture ? his knowledge as bartender and yokohama brewery history in particular or even connection with the bartender that have served him after the old master passed away. Your lacking of imagination and need to be spoon fed of information is the problem here, it's the type of show rather than tell type of story telling. The picture have the old pal in it so he could distinguish based on the color of the drink, he could make few assumption and list of drink of same color and eliminate the possibility, also he could choose old pal as something to be symbolic of old master and old man relationship. why are you being so difficult ? it like dog barking for the wrong tree, you're searching for something that isn't even there.

The character is not perfect yes (as if there are that kind of character in the first place). That what makes them alive and humanely and interesting. They have flaw and that's fine. You're saying I'm doing mental gymnastic based on word play, sure you can take it as any way that you want, it better to have any kind of argument and reasoning based on material rather than twisting the author intention and completely rejecting it just because it didn't fit your ideals and biased.
jumbosanMay 17, 3:15 AM
May 19, 12:42 PM

Dec 2016
jumbosan said:
No it doesn't, even you said it before, he probably actually have tasted it and remember he was friend with experienced master since he was apprentice and why does it matter, if he order it as young man or not?

Because it feels contrived of what an actual young man would do. Young people listen to the hip music that's trending, wear the fashionable stuff everyone else does, get the most popular phone that ads tell them to. A young guy specifically asking for an old man drink at a bar sounds very out of character. The only way it would work is if the old guy was someone that didn't care for trends and had what people call an old soul, liking stuff that only old people would appreciate. But the problem with this variable is that we never had any characterization on behalf of the old guy, he's just as much of a blank slate as Sasakura is.

This is a character driven title, and the author does below the minimum required in character writing.

jumbosan said:
If i was white knighting Sasakura and the author, i would say for sure the drink have to be old pal

You were doing tumbles and cartwheels trying to explain with dumb anime logic that because he showed a picture of himself with his wife on their wedding day, that automatically made all the NECESSARY CONNECTIONS in order for Sasakura to speficially pick the Old Pals drink.

jumbosan said:
he also not genius or as flawless as you accused, the audience is not as gullible or stupid as you said either.

You're willing to die on this hill about Sasakura picking Old Man drink buying this bullshit just because the anime said so. You're proving me right on this statement, people are dumb and gullible.

jumbosan said:
Didn't it even occur to you Sasakura have other sources to verifying the picture ? his knowledge as bartender and yokohama brewery history in particular or even connection with the bartender that have served him after the old master passed away.

We could have gotten some flashback of Sasakura "obtaining" this knowledge in order to SUSTAIN this ridiculous baseless theory of yours. But that would imply for the lazy author writing for gullible 12 year olds to know how to write a character background story. It could had been as easy as Frieren's flashbacks.

Going into "maybe" territory even Sasakura could had been an astronaut in the past. This is the problem with media iliteracy, people don't know how to read a story and acknowledge all of it's shortcomings.

jumbosan said:
Your lacking of imagination and need to be spoon fed of information is the problem here, it's the type of show rather than tell type of story telling.

No, the problem is people like you that see a hole and feel the need to fill it. You're not supposed to do the writer's work (unless it's properly lampshaded or implied). Again, I blame it on people's ignorance and the lack of media literacy.

You claim that I'm biased, but you're also biased. You're so gung-ho into "fixing" the writing flaws in a character driven story and I'm fixated on categorizing them as writing flaws. Everyone is biased in one way or another, that's why ratings are so disproportionate in a large pool of viewers.

jumbosan said:
The picture have the old pal in it so he could distinguish based on the color of the drink, he could make few assumption and list of drink of same color and eliminate the possibility, also he could choose old pal as something to be symbolic of old master and old man relationship.

He could have done this.
He could have done that.
He could have done that other thing.
He could have done anything.

But in the end, he did nothing. The only thing you have on hand is the color of the drink and that's really not enough to narrow down to a specific drink. Do a quick search on red drinks and you'll get close to 50 different recepies.

jumbosan said:
why are you being so difficult ? it like dog barking for the wrong tree, you're searching for SOMETHING THAT ISN'T EVEN THERE.

Oh the irony. You're lecturing me with mental gymnastics on TANGIBLE EVIDENCE THAT'S REALLY NOT THERE and you're saying I'm the one barking at the wrong tree?

jumbosan said:
The character is not perfect yes (as if there are that kind of character in the first place). That what makes them alive and humanely and interesting. They have flaw and that's fine.

The guy who everyone say he can create god's drink and everyone wants to hire him for a bar. Please, enlighten everyone in here. What's his flaw?

jumbosan said:
You're saying I'm doing mental gymnastic based on word play

Yes you are. You haven't provided a SINGLE SOLID PIECE OF EVIDENCE. All your statements are based on "MAYBE" this "MAYBE" that, and me not having the imagination for it. It's what I've been saying, YOU'RE WATCHING A FLEA CIRCUS AND YOU WANT EVERYONE ELSE TO BELIEVE THERE ARE ACTUAL FLEAS IN IT. And all I'm saying is that there are no fleas, all the gadgets are being moved by small servos and an electric motor.

jumbosan said:
the author intention and completely rejecting it just because it didn't fit your ideals and biased.

The author's intention has always been about presenting a drink as product placement and writing a cheap story for easy to impress 12 year olds rather than write a character and it's background then make the drink to complement it as a character. All of the characters presented so far are incredibly one dimensional and their problems are solved by a magical drink and then we move to the next goon. I wouldn't be so upset about this simplistic structure if we actually had solid background info about Sasakura, like where he's been, what gave him the knowledge, what made him being the perfect robot butler we see today. But so far, we've gotten nothing substancial.

The only tangible piece of evidence we've had from sasakura in all 7 episodes is that he's an idiot that can't use a modern phone, he got a single trick with lime zest from some other bartender, he liked to act like a douche towards Kyouko for no good reason but he later changed his mind (again for no good reason) and nothing more. All of his verbal diahrrea feels like it's coming from reading the wiki or some really outdated encyclopedia with erroneous data (again, I present evidence of Sasakura spewing BS about stories like "one for the road").

We had way more character writing and world building on the main cast in the first 4 episodes of Frieren than what we've had so far in 7 episodes of Bartender.
KimurahMay 19, 1:26 PM
May 26, 8:41 AM

May 2013
Reply to Kimurah
jumbosan said:

jumbosan said:

jumbosan said:

jumbosan said:

@Kimurah Your problem is you have absolute NO idea of japanese culture. Zero, zilch, none. It is actually VERY common to talk to bartenders in Japan, and indeed if you are travelling the first person you will actually have a conversation with (asking for the keys at the hotel reception or buying a train ticket does not count as conversation) will often be a bartender or the chef at some countertop bar.

As for the Yokohama drink, I would say it shows your lack of knowledge about Japanese culture again, but it would be wrong. It actually shows your lack of knowledge of culture IN GENERAL. Almost every area in the world has a certain dish or drink strongly associated to it. In Japan, in particular, there are certain cocktails that are associated with certain cities or areas of Tokyo, and the thing is REGULAR PEOPLE often know about them. I do actually know about a few of them and I'm not anywhere close to an expert. I would say the Yokohama one is a bit obscure and regular people wouldn't know, but a professional working in the area definitely would, especially if they did their research.

Go away with your pseudo-intellectual crap and try to get some culture under your belt.
destinyunknownMay 26, 8:48 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - May 29

38 by miyo__ »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - 3 hours ago

3 by Reecey91 »»
1 hour ago

» Why don't we know how many episodes this is gonna be?

Curlybrace101 - Yesterday

4 by AnimeFan500 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 5

27 by SouthRzVa »»
Yesterday, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 22

26 by patkarunungan »»
Jun 10, 7:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.