Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 5, 11:15 AM

May 2018
Lucky for you, you have those 10%.
My country is completely banned from access lol.

Jul 5, 11:23 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to Nemo_Niemand
Lucky for you, you have those 10%.
My country is completely banned from access lol.
@Nemo_Niemand Can you guy's still access VPN's or nah? A shame the normal day people get essentially punished even if they aren't even involved with stuff currently going on.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jul 5, 11:34 AM

May 2018
Reply to Tropisch
@Nemo_Niemand Can you guy's still access VPN's or nah? A shame the normal day people get essentially punished even if they aren't even involved with stuff currently going on.
@Tropisch Oh yeah, nothing is impossible. And people can bypass that and other obstacles if they want.
But for me and some others it's just the matter of pride. They don't want to deal with me, then I won't deal with them, and they won't get my money. I'll just deal with friendlier sites, which are, by accident, pirate ones.
To hell with those crunchyrolls, netflixes and blizzards if they hate me just for whom I was born.
Nemo_NiemandJul 5, 11:42 AM

Jul 5, 11:40 AM

Oct 2019
There are free VPNs out there, but they are generally much slower than the ones that cost money.

Honestly, I think the best way to support the industry is to pirate every show, and buy bluerays or physical manga of your favourite series once in a while with the money that you would be paying for streaming sites.

that way not only would you actually gain something out of your money, it would also be directly and ONLY supporting a series that you actually like, instead of some random seasonal garbage that you watched to kill time.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 5, 11:43 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to APolygons2
There are free VPNs out there, but they are generally much slower than the ones that cost money.

Honestly, I think the best way to support the industry is to pirate every show, and buy bluerays or physical manga of your favourite series once in a while with the money that you would be paying for streaming sites.

that way not only would you actually gain something out of your money, it would also be directly and ONLY supporting a series that you actually like, instead of some random seasonal garbage that you watched to kill time.
@APolygons2 or even better you do both. Even with my all 4 subscription service I pay for I still buy 500$ of anime/manga every month.
Jul 5, 11:54 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Otakupervert890
@APolygons2 or even better you do both. Even with my all 4 subscription service I pay for I still buy 500$ of anime/manga every month.
@Otakupervert890 I think if there was a streaming site that was actually worth paying for I would say go for it, with them constantly not renewing the license of old classics, region locks, lack of so many quality of life options that pirate sites have like having multiple players, and being able to download episodes, it's just not worth it.

Like why would I want to support crunchyroll, when they actively let shows like FMA 2003 fall into obscurity.

They got funimation which should have been great since now all of the anime would be in one place, except they didn't bring a TON of the funimation shows, leaving so many things impossible to watch unless you pirate them.

Streaming sites don't care about anime. So why should a portion of my money go to them? what do they do for the industry? I would rather support the anime industry without supporting the selfish money hungry steaming sites.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 5, 11:56 AM

Feb 2021
APolygons2 said:
I truly wonder how many anime pirates actually do this.

I see them saying this all the time, but most of them don't even seem to know that the blu-rays here are released by CR anyways, also some like to complain how expensive they are...

APolygons2 said:
Streaming sites don't care about anime. So why should a portion of my money go to them? what do they do for the industry? I would rather support the anime industry without supporting the selfish money hungry steaming sites.
Anyone who knows anything about the industry knows that streaming sites are more than just licensors, some of them are even producers, with CR being the streaming site that produces the most anime out of anyone.
Jul 5, 12:04 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I do not believe that Crunchyroll is "the worst thing ever".
Jul 5, 12:15 PM

Oct 2023
It's funny how people see vpn's as a hassle when it has so many other benefits other than streaming...and at the same time download sketchy torrents for "free" anime...to me that seems like more of a hassle than clicking over to a different country in a matter of seconds.

Crunchyroll does offer a lot, just switch over to a US vpn.
Jul 5, 12:22 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to MadanielFL
APolygons2 said:

I see them saying this all the time, but most of them don't even seem to know that the blu-rays here are released by CR anyways, also some like to complain how expensive they are...

APolygons2 said:
Anyone who knows anything about the industry knows that streaming sites are more than just licensors, some of them are even producers, with CR being the streaming site that produces the most anime out of anyone.
@MadanielFL
MadanielFL said:

I'm pretty sure netflix produces more anime than crunchyroll. The only crunchyroll produced anime that I know of are tower of god, ex arm, high gradian spice and god of highschool...

which is not the best track record.

I know they have some level of involvement with other series as well, but these are the shows that they have fully produced themselves. They don't do nearly enough for how much money they are making. Netflix for all it's problems makes a shit ton of originals, Crunchyroll does not.

MadanielFL said:

A lot of the pirates are people that were never going to pay for anime anyway. Be it their lack of money, living in a country were there is no legal way to watch anime, or them being cheap in general. These people will always be pirates, and no they wouldn't pay for blu-rays to make up for it.

And this is the thing that a lot of the people don't understand about piracy, a LOT of these people aren't lost potential costumers, they are people that would never get a streaming sites, even if the other option was extremely inconvenient.

Then there is a portion, that cares about quality of life. these people would never pirate something like a video game, because buying one is infinitely easier, but for streaming sites, it could be a nightmare. have you seen that video game donkey video where he shows how if you want to watch all of pokemon, you would need to switch between like 12 different streaming sites?

Yeah if I planned to watch pokemon and I saw that of course I would say fuck it and turn to piracy.

But then there are the people who ARE willing to and happy to pay and care about supporting the industry, they would be more than willing to buy accessories, physical manga, or blue-rays.

The types that don't pirate BECAUSE they want to support the industry. they WOULD buy physical media instead of paying for streaming sites. because they were paying to begin with for the sake of supporting.
Also available at:

Jul 5, 2:57 PM
Sep 2013
I only noticed this was a necro after typing this but...

ForgotEyeWasHere said:
If they want to stop piracy, they should have actually accurate subtitles, better prices, and remove region locks.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that they should also stop censoring anime. They should give us all the uncensored versions.

Based

CR is shit in pretty much every aspect. Even ignoring the more controversial things like localization or high guardian spice.

Their website is shit. They remove features from said website (I guess they're big fans of Warcraft III). They remove stuff/have gaps in their catalogue.
The only good thing I can say about them is their subs(as in, the actual text & layout)are probably the best I've seen. HiDive has bright yellow subs that are too high up, for comparison.

APolygons2 said:
Streaming sites don't care about anime. So why should a portion of my money go to them? what do they do for the industry? I would rather support the anime industry without supporting the selfish money hungry steaming sites

Exactly. I don't blame people for pirating considering the way things are.
oappoJul 5, 3:13 PM
Jul 5, 3:01 PM

Feb 2021
APolygons2 said:
I'm pretty sure netflix produces more anime than crunchyroll. The only crunchyroll produced anime that I know of are tower of god, ex arm, high gradian spice and god of highschool...

which is not the best track record.

I know they have some level of involvement with other series as well, but these are the shows that they have fully produced themselves. They don't do nearly enough for how much money they are making. Netflix for all it's problems makes a shit ton of originals, Crunchyroll does not.
That's just not true, a lot of Netflix originals are not actually produced by Netflix, examples being Violet Evergarden and Cyberpunk.
Anime that they actually produced are: Romantic Killer, The Way of the Househusband, Thermae Romae Novae, Ooku, and some others.
CR on the other hand has helped produce over 100 animes since 2015, even if they are not the only producer for the show, they are still helping with the production by being a member of the production committee, usually being one of the top investors in these committees.
As far as anime they helped produce, I see that you liked Odd Taxi, but there are also multiple others out there that seem pretty popular.

APolygons2 said:
A lot of the pirates are people that were never going to pay for anime anyway. Be it their lack of money, living in a country were there is no legal way to watch anime, or them being cheap in general. These people will always be pirates, and no they wouldn't pay for blu-rays to make up for it.
I'm talking about those that say stuff like "buy merch instead, these licensors don't actually support the industry" when they themselves don't do what they preach, and have no idea how the industry actually works.
Jul 5, 3:14 PM

Mar 2023
I use vpn anyway, regardless of CR, Netflix and others things even not related to anime, so I don't know what this geo blocking you're talking about even is
Jul 5, 3:18 PM

Oct 2013
It's something I really dislike about Crunchyroll. I don't live in the US as well and most of shows, even though they are on Crunchyroll, are not available in my country. There was even an anime that had the original Japanese dub, but in terms of other languages it had subbed and dubbed version in a language other than English.

Some people say "uh oh VPN exists". Why would I do extra steps to watch something that's unavailable in my region? Why would I do it when I subscriber to the service treating me in the end as a worse customer, blocking me from accessing a lot of anime that is available without any problems for folks from other countries?

Damn, even Crunchyroll's player is kinda mid. Most of anime doesn't have an option to turn on English closed captions simultaneously with English dub, not to mention not having an option to have both English dub and English subtitles on at the same time. Netflix has both of those options and also offers subtitles in my mother language (and dubbing for a decent amount of shows too).
Jul 5, 6:05 PM

Jul 2013
Use Linux to watch pirated anime. Using Windows for a piracy website is a bad idea unless you wanna get hacked/infected by malware.
Jul 5, 6:16 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to Adnash
It's something I really dislike about Crunchyroll. I don't live in the US as well and most of shows, even though they are on Crunchyroll, are not available in my country. There was even an anime that had the original Japanese dub, but in terms of other languages it had subbed and dubbed version in a language other than English.

Some people say "uh oh VPN exists". Why would I do extra steps to watch something that's unavailable in my region? Why would I do it when I subscriber to the service treating me in the end as a worse customer, blocking me from accessing a lot of anime that is available without any problems for folks from other countries?

Damn, even Crunchyroll's player is kinda mid. Most of anime doesn't have an option to turn on English closed captions simultaneously with English dub, not to mention not having an option to have both English dub and English subtitles on at the same time. Netflix has both of those options and also offers subtitles in my mother language (and dubbing for a decent amount of shows too).
@Adnash honestly this. Okay, some countries have their own distributors, but if you're buying the rights for a whole part of the world - release it there. To say nothing about the whole subbing process STILL not being transparent to any major alterations (still remember the Hajime no Gal Trump jokes).
And as expected MadanielFL is there to shill and defend. Bruv, what are you getting out of that?
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jul 5, 6:53 PM

Jun 2007
APolygons2 said:

Setting aside the fact that all the pirate sites get their videos and subtitles from legal sites for contemporary anime... It's called "licensing fees." Legal services pay licensing fees, which is why the question of "which streaming site co-produces more anime?" isn't relevant, because those fees pay for a substantial portion of the production cost.

If people don't think they can afford a given streaming service, or feel the selection is too limited in their region, or they don't like the interface/apps, I can respect those as reality-based concerns. But this "they don't really count" talking point is complete nonsense. If it were true, how do legal streaming sites get away with distributing anime and keeping all the money for themselves, without any Japanese companies raising questions or taking legal actions?* Almost as if international distributors are part of the global anime industry, not some separate/malevolent entity.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jul 5, 8:51 PM

Feb 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
To say nothing about the whole subbing process STILL not being transparent to any major alterations (still remember the Hajime no Gal Trump jokes
Hajime no Gal was a Funimation dub, it wasn't the subs.
And either way the dub was funny af.
Jul 5, 9:13 PM

Oct 2013
Why do people keep dragging old shit up? I'm going to reiterate that this is likely an issue with licensing in countries outside where Crunchy is based. There's a lot of shit you can say about the service, but maybe look into why shows aren't available in your country, rather than just defaulting to "company bad". I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I'm pretty sure licensing is a kick in the balls to work around especially when you toss in other countries. Frankly their biggest mistake as far as this goes is letting people have access to their service knowing full well they won't have access to the full catalog of shows. But maybe I'm just completely talking out my ass here...
Jul 6, 4:32 AM
Apr 2024
They ruined my favourite manga and the region lock made it so it's not worth it for me to buy... Not really a fan
Jul 6, 4:46 AM

Jan 2008
I like using Crunchyroll and I don't live in the USA
I can find plenty to watch on there and if I can't I use VPN. The only stuff I can't find is anime that's exclusive to certain websites that have far more limited anime options so not worth the subscription.
Pirating is too much risk for myself personally.
Yesterday, 9:01 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to APolygons2
@Otakupervert890 I think if there was a streaming site that was actually worth paying for I would say go for it, with them constantly not renewing the license of old classics, region locks, lack of so many quality of life options that pirate sites have like having multiple players, and being able to download episodes, it's just not worth it.

Like why would I want to support crunchyroll, when they actively let shows like FMA 2003 fall into obscurity.

They got funimation which should have been great since now all of the anime would be in one place, except they didn't bring a TON of the funimation shows, leaving so many things impossible to watch unless you pirate them.

@APolygons2 With funimation and FMA too, they probably didn't want to pay the license cost to keep streaming it. Probably too expensive for the return they were seeing with not that many users checking it out or the licensor demanded more money.

what do they do for the industry?

They offer a way to legally watch stuff for the subscribers and some money on the side for licensor.
Almost any way you choose to support, some money hungry middle man will still pocket most of the money. For Blu-Ray the store that sells them keeps 30%, not to mention the producer/licensor, etc. Very little ends up in the pocket of the studio. Even now in 2024, are people still willing to use Blu-Ray players? Not to mention in 5 years, will you keep a Blu-Ray attached to the TV just for this reason?
At least with manga you can always keep it and read it, but Blu-Ray is already outdated imo.

@Petronel0 Data from last year https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/106xk8k/the_number_of_anime_available_on_crunchyroll_per/
Your country gets about 50% of the total offering
henmwatsYesterday, 9:20 AM
Yesterday, 9:23 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to juanlqr
I'm from Argentina, and Crunchyroll has a super cheap price here ( u$s7 a year). It has a very good number of series, although I would like a couple more from the 90s.
@juanlqr

Well, Crunchy increased it in Argentina, and quite a bit. The annual pack went from 7 dollars to 55 dollars.
It's not as expensive, but it's not worth it like it used to be haha.
Yesterday, 9:26 AM

Jul 2013
If you think it is so bad,then don't use it. It is that simple.
8 hours ago

Mar 2021
Petronel0 said:
Me as a person who does not live in the US I can honestly say with a clean heart that crunchyroll is the worst site ever. 90% of animes i've searched on crunchyroll were on the site BUT not available in my country so if I want to watch them I have to spend money on a vpn (which I wont). So the only thing I can do about this is just watch on a dumb pirating site

This is probably just me but I think the real issue is internet piracy. Before wide spread piracy or even internet streaming no one complained about not being able to access Anime that wasn't officially available in certain regions. There were tons of Anime titles I wanted to watch that were being released in Japan during the 90s and early 2000s that took over a decade for some to finally get an official release to make it to even just strictly North America. Piracy has created this perception that just because something exists in this medium no matter if it's officially available or not that Viewers should be entitled to everything.

Generally speaking a streaming platform would likely love to be able to stream the Anime you want to watch that is restricted in your region. This isn't the fault really of any individual streaming platform it's either due to your own government or the licensing they acquire that is restricting them to stream certain content in your region. It would likely be the same story if it was a different platform other than CR. You would likely be looking at the same content being restricted in your region regardless if it was Crunchyroll or not.

I understand it sucks not being able to access all the Anime one wants to watch but your only other alternative I can think of off the top of my head would be to wait for stuff to make it on official physical copies and fork out the money to import it like many of us use to do before Anime streaming even existed if you are wanting to do things legit.
ColourWheel8 hours ago
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» One Piece could be short if they wanted to...

Ishow_suii - 2 hours ago

5 by Fancyjasper »»
32 seconds ago

» Just drank some chocolate milk that's been in my fridge 3 years

ZakuF_ - 4 hours ago

5 by ZakuF_ »»
4 minutes ago

» Crunchyroll Announces the Removal of Its Comment Section Across All Platforms To 'Reduce Harmful Content'

deg - 3 hours ago

25 by RobertBobert »»
23 minutes ago

» Have you accepted that you can't watch every show you want?

purple_rayn - Jul 7

46 by BigBoyAdvance »»
36 minutes ago

» Should battle characters grow weak with age?

Timeline_man - Jun 19

15 by deg »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.