Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 8, 2023 6:43 AM
Sep 2020
Sandro8604 said:
What is idol culture? this anime is so heavily based on the concept and drawbacks of it. Seems to me grown up men who have pedophilic tendency and are mentally unstable obsessing over teenage girls dancing in short skirts. It's pretty disgusting to think about to be honest. And they've built an entire industry around it.
I have seen some reference here and there in other animes like Jujutsu Kaisen but thought that was a niche thing.
To give you perspective, I'm from India, so yeah never seen such things in any english movies as well, let alone in my vicinity.

[comment deleted]
Spoopy69May 8, 2023 6:51 AM
May 8, 2023 6:49 AM
Feb 2023
Aguy711 said:
yeah being a simp is just sad. same with people who simp for vtubers, it's not healthy.

leorio speaking facts
May 8, 2023 7:01 AM
Feb 2023
i love the drama :3
May 8, 2023 7:06 AM
Apr 2021
I swear y’all throw around that word Pedophilia not knowing when to use it, in this case it’s NOT meant to be used๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿฝ‍โ™‚๏ธ
May 8, 2023 7:13 AM
Jan 2022
Why yall gotta make everything so "problematic", just watch the show and if you don't like it, just don't watch it.
May 8, 2023 7:57 AM

Jul 2019
I guess it ain't something you know unless in live there yourself. As an outsider looking in, it's just a Japanese thing.

May 8, 2023 8:23 AM
Jun 2021
Priya080929 said:
Indians are showing the most gross thinking of all the time, btw that's called set up they need a good base to set up the anime, and it's not just about those characters story this anime/manga is based on whole garbage going on in the Film industry, manga industry and idol industry that is the most focused in this series but never mind you fix minded people can never see anything good, you people can never grow up.

Aren't you an Indian as well? Or maybe generalising a particular thing one of your specialities?
May 8, 2023 8:25 AM

Apr 2012
I can't figure out if this thread is very fat trolling or just gross and insulting ignorance about Japanese culture?
May 8, 2023 8:32 AM
Jan 2021
Sandro8604 said:
What is idol culture? this anime is so heavily based on the concept and drawbacks of it. Seems to me grown up men who have pedophilic tendency and are mentally unstable obsessing over teenage girls dancing in short skirts. It's pretty disgusting to think about to be honest. And they've built an entire industry around it.
I have seen some reference here and there in other animes like Jujutsu Kaisen but thought that was a niche thing.
To give you perspective, I'm from India, so yeah never seen such things in any english movies as well, let alone in my vicinity.

idk it reminds me of kpop
May 8, 2023 8:49 AM
Jan 2021
I don’t think it’s pedophilia— But anyways, this is the live for a lot of celebrities which must suck. This focusses more on the Japanese idol culture but lots of weird people act like this to many other celebrities. That’s why they always have to have guards or go in disguise outdoors. It sucks
May 8, 2023 9:07 AM
Dec 2018
Sandro8604 said:

I have seen item songs in Bollywood movies, more or less the same thing. There are live performances too with similar kind of dance. I'm from India too.
May 8, 2023 9:46 AM

Mar 2022
ktg said:
__potato__ said:

Doesn't mean it's not gross
As gross as rooting for your favorite football team or boxer.

Bro your logic makes no sense

May 8, 2023 9:56 AM
Apr 2022
Don't water down the word pedophilia just look it up
May 8, 2023 10:07 AM
May 2016
SabreDrago said:
ktg said:

It does, but people need brain to understand it.
May 8, 2023 10:13 AM
Aug 2020
It’s more of a thing in Japan and south Korea, basically the equivalent of a boy band but mainly females.
May 8, 2023 11:06 AM

Sep 2020
Ok, keep pretending you're not biologically attracted to post pubescent women, even if young
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
May 8, 2023 11:19 AM
Feb 2022
shash_sama18 said:
Priya080929 said:
Indians are showing the most gross thinking of all the time, btw that's called set up they need a good base to set up the anime, and it's not just about those characters story this anime/manga is based on whole garbage going on in the Film industry, manga industry and idol industry that is the most focused in this series but never mind you fix minded people can never see anything good, you people can never grow up.

Aren't you an Indian as well? Or maybe generalising a particular thing one of your specialities?

I am also an Indian and that's why i know what society we live in and what the most part of society is made of.
If they do the same thing in real life then it's fine but if they saw those things in an animated series they act like it's bad and shouldn't exist.

May 8, 2023 11:26 AM
Apr 2023
Great, another complete dumpster fire of a thread, good job guys.

Now, I'm not all that familiar with Japanese culture either, but I'm pretty sure "idol culture" is similar to the celebrity culture you'd find in America or India. People become megafans of stars they see in various media, and obsess over their performances and sometimes personal life. No, it is quite obviously not pedophilic in nature, idols aren't necessarily children and their fans aren't necessarily attracted to them, both are probably in the minority. Like most big industries, the "idol industry" or whatever you'd call it is very exploitative, which is especially problematic when it relates to children. However, the overall culture just isn't, at least to that degree.
May 8, 2023 11:44 AM

Jan 2014
Sandro8604 said:

I can tell OP is a twitter snowflake.
May 8, 2023 11:48 AM
Jun 2021
Priya080929 said:
shash_sama18 said:

I am also an Indian and that's why i know what society we live in and what the most part of society is made of.
If they do the same thing in real life then it's fine but if they saw those things in an animated series they act like it's bad and shouldn't exist.

Although your claims are not 100% wrong, we can't throw all the blame upon society only
There are barely a sane bunch of people who would actually step up to spread awareness against some one dimensional mindset after reaching upto that level

Although in the context of this forum, the idol culture has nothing to do with our society or mindset so that was my point, nothing else
May 8, 2023 11:53 AM

Feb 2010
hate to break it to you, but if you admire celeb actors in the west then you are part of idol culture.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 8, 2023 12:41 PM

May 2021
Sandro8604 said:
As soon as I finished reading this 16th century inspired text I became confused and thought I was using Twitter . Great job at destroying some of my few good brain cells.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
May 8, 2023 2:43 PM
Jun 2020
Sandro8604 said:
it’s literally no different than everyone in america freaking over singers like Selena Gomez or Ariana Grande, or even females to Shawn Mendes, Justin Bieber lmfao. Japan just goes through with the word Idol more than we do, America has it way worse than what this anime shows, rip avicii
May 8, 2023 2:50 PM
Mar 2021
Gollo_1 said:
Cataclysm003 said:
Japan be wildin sometimes

You resumed perfectly every chapter of the manga of Oshi no ko in one line, congratulations๐Ÿค

onk? no every anime is japan wildin
May 8, 2023 2:55 PM
Mar 2021
ktg said:
__potato__ said:

Odd comparison. a more apt comparison would probably be more like your favoriteband or something

I still think it’s grosser tho. Having kids that young sing love songs is just odd to me, I don’t think your gross inherently for liking idols (though some people are), but to me it’s gross. same way I think pickles are gross, but not people who eat pickles gross.
May 8, 2023 4:07 PM

Jul 2022
Orbakun said:
Gollo_1 said:

You resumed perfectly every chapter of the manga of Oshi no ko in one line, congratulations๐Ÿค

onk? no every anime is japan wildin

maybe not everyone, but you’re right
May 8, 2023 7:13 PM
Jun 2021
alicemaas said:
Sandro8604 said:

idk it reminds me of kpop

kpop is also idol culture. they may even be more idol culture than japan.
May 8, 2023 7:15 PM
Jun 2021
principle said:
I think it's crazy how nobody answered the question and instead just started going on tangents about pedophilia and throwing insults at each other

because he answered his own question
May 8, 2023 9:51 PM
May 2022
Piromysl said:
This is not Twitter, sir.

He Just like me fr!!
May 8, 2023 10:39 PM
Oct 2022
shash_sama18 said:
Priya080929 said:

Funny how she herself said that drama in that industry is garbage and call out our culture and way of thinking is bad for op pointing and saying its garbage.
Damn bro ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ.
May 8, 2023 10:55 PM
Jun 2021
sriramcharan said:
shash_sama18 said:

Funny how she herself said that drama in that industry is garbage and call out our culture and way of thinking is bad for op pointing and saying its garbage.
Damn bro ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ.

Well woman meme exists for some reason XD
However, I tried my best to explain where she went wrong
May 8, 2023 11:58 PM
Jan 2021
Sandro8604 said:
HanBoitheLamb said:

i think i also might know how you feel about lolis and shotas
also what? idol culture is like a kpop fan, idol group fan, heck even sports teams can sometimes br considered "idols" in theit own way

Yeah man... I absolutely hate those kind of things ie. loli. I try to avoid them as much as possible. Even if the show is good in other part, I can't stand it. This is why I tried to watch ReZero now for 7th time and failed.I know it's some common trope and it's whatever but in this anime the MCs lost their mother due to this and they're still trying to be successful in that field.. that means society is not inherently against the culture but creepy fans. There must be some reason to all of these maybe.
where did u find Loli in Re Zero?
May 9, 2023 1:56 AM
May 2023
ktg said:
__potato__ said:

nah who care
Anyways Attack on Titan is the greatest Manga in history
Everything else is trash compared to the goated AOT writing suprémacy
May 9, 2023 3:11 AM
Jan 2023
simple japan is weird , anime and manga excluded
May 9, 2023 3:22 AM

May 2021
principle said:
I think it's crazy how nobody answered the question and instead just started going on tangents about pedophilia and throwing insults at each other
It's even crazier to expect a sane/civil discussion or answers when somebody writes an insane thread like this one. He should go back to Bollywood if he is refusing the fact that different cultures and ideologies exists in our world .....

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
May 9, 2023 5:07 AM

Dec 2008
IDOL: Individual Doing Overly Labor.
May 9, 2023 5:12 AM
Feb 2023
ktg said:
SabreDrago said:

It does, but people need brain to understand it.

A brain would compare it to actual media like Hollywood for example. Comparing it to football is like comparing apples to oranges. Finally in football, it takes a long while for the person to become famous and have kids even. I don’t know why you are aggressive but maybe anyone, with a brain, would see the comparison, you made, makes no sense.

Edit: Finally it is gross… How old was she when she conceived a child? People just don’t think about it because it’s anime but if it happens irl, people will always say that’s gross.
Confused_100May 9, 2023 5:16 AM
May 9, 2023 6:09 AM

Mar 2013
Idol culture is not that different in general...premise from how we tend to treat many musical artists. I mean honestly, look at The Beatles when they arrived in the United States. Women were going crazy over them. Going crazy for or developing devotion to musical artists is nothing new. The main difference I would argue between idol culture and that of other musical artists is presentation, what image is being sold to the public.

BTS and AKB48 are not just selling songs, but selling images and stage personas that are meant to be viewed and treated with reverence, whereas musical artists rely on songs more or less that just happens to communicate an image. There is ingrained tendency to build and at times exploit what is essentially an interpersonal brand loyalty.

I do not really understand it, but I suppose it is a consensual illusion; most fans I imagine know that this is all artificial, but like a broadway play they enjoy it nevertheless. Or a football game. Most of us who have some semblance of reality know it really does not matter, but we fool ourselves into having emotions for the game because it is just fun to lose yourself in that euphoria. That being said, I still think it is weird, but not necessarily wrong or even problematic, though some criticism of the industry is perfectly reasonable.

I mean, should teenagers really be idols? Should men be fans of these teenage starlets? Isn't the "no relationship" clause too exploitative of the mentally unwell patrons at these concerts?
May 9, 2023 8:00 AM
Oct 2019
ktg said:
__potato__ said:

you are not good with analogies, are you?
May 9, 2023 9:27 AM
Apr 2023
well i am an Indian as well
but i don't think it's werid
you're talking like an old man
May 9, 2023 2:38 PM

Apr 2019
Well... there is some truth to that. The environment of idols and showbiz is very toxic.
idols have to be beautiful, perfect and always smiling, but very often they are sad people who don't make good money and are just exploited by their labels.
Toxic fans and people's mentality doesn't help. Fans love to sexualize idols, ship them etc. but if an idol starts dating someone or does something sexy they get hated and kicked out of the group. Idols use backbreaking diets, sometimes they train all day long, they are exhausted.

Fans do not give them peace, they record them, they are pushy, they expect attention from idols even though they do not know their real face.
The cult of being perfect and the eternal hate makes a lot of young idols commit suicide. Until this strange mentality of people changes, it will only get worse.
they are already accepting younger and younger children at the music labels.

It all looks nice from the outside, but if someone knows the subject better, it's really hard to look at it.

Jollyne7May 9, 2023 2:44 PM
May 9, 2023 9:13 PM
Oct 2021
Sandro8604 said:

bruh idgaf, i just watch it and leave.
May 13, 2023 8:03 AM

Feb 2021
Go watch the Idolm@ster and you would see why it's amazing. 
May 13, 2023 8:19 AM

Oct 2007
Sandro8604 said:

Maybe you shouldn't be on an anime site if you know nothing about it's culture
May 13, 2023 2:37 PM

Aug 2020
Cestlavie_ said:
It's very sad and depressing people don't know the meaning of pedophilia
Its sad that some people are ignorant to this phenomena known as idolization, but TC is from India so the closest thing they got to that is Bollywood.

It exists outside of Japan, too folks. They are called Pop Stars and they are in America/Korea. Although America's idolization is more on Hollywood and Sports than Pop Stars
RobertsahDHDAMay 13, 2023 2:41 PM
Keep scrolling
May 14, 2023 2:39 AM
Feb 2018
Did that person mention selena, Shawn or ariana as examples in America? I'm sorry but u don't like or know America if u think they still go crazy over them. In America it's all about rappers(drake, etc.) And singers like Justin bieber, Harry styles and the weeknd
May 14, 2023 6:11 AM

Jul 2019
There wouldn't be industry if there's no audience. Many people love this shit boys girls man or woman. There's a good chance 5 out of 10 people I meet these days are K-POP fans. In general, nevermind idols, I don't get the obsessions people have with celebrities. Couldn't care less how they look for me if its good music I dig.
May 14, 2023 6:18 AM
Aug 2021
Sandro8604 said:

Teenagers getting into the industry saturated by adults is actually a breath of fresh air. As an example, not long back the roles of teens were played by adults in their 30's or 40's - it was gross and unauthentic.

Although some of the excesses of the idol culture are obviously worrisome - like fans trying to believe idols are their property, and should not date, I believe those fans are fewer.

It is genuinely great to see young people working hard, improving everyday, and being a part of their success - celebrating their victories, being pensive when they are down. This is a more innate connection with the performers, unlike a traditional artist who you see only on the stage, appears distant or unreachable. You only care about their abilities (be it singing, dancing, acting, etc), but never really bother if she stops someday. Unlike this, an idol culture takes the fan along, it's a drama, most of it may be fake or put on, but nonetheless you get a more dedicated and captive fanbase.
May 14, 2023 6:58 AM

Sep 2020
ktg said:
__potato__ said:

What? That's not even in the same ballpark.

๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š. - ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

May 15, 2023 8:03 PM

May 2019
Japan, depressive/opressive controlling society (not just the State, the society)

Depressive/opressive society: nest of frustrated people who need escape spaces.

Forms of escapism: drugs, porn, reli****, comm****, "circenses" (sports fan culture), but also fantasy fiction, and in Japan, fetish appreciation media for adults like anime, manga, and Idol culture.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What do you think of Kana Arima? ( 1 2 )

Fischer77 - Oct 16, 2023

69 by Mmmnmn »»
Jun 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Jun 28, 2023

684 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 13, 9:16 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Softhenic03 - Jun 21, 2023

294 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 13, 8:46 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2023

310 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 13, 8:24 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usopp8000 - Mar 27, 2023

2684 by TheTigerBlack »»
Jun 13, 5:49 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.