Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 15, 2021 3:08 PM
Aug 2010
I remember when you couldn't tell people that you watch anime, but I believe times have changed a bit. It might surprise you how many people have watched an anime by now. With some of the best anime movies being on Netflix now. Anime will for sure continue to grow and become more popular, not the other way around.
------MAL|hahaha|MML------
Aug 15, 2021 4:44 PM

Mar 2021
Yeah but it'll become cringe and uncool in less of a "what a fucking loser" way and more a "zoomer who thinks he's superior for watching foreign media" way if that makes any sense. It feels like a bunch of the new community are just trend hoppers who only watch because "its da cool thing to do". I hope it becomes uncool again because it was more fun when it was kinda niche and felt like a "guilty pleasure" to watch.

FoxyGramp_Aug 15, 2021 5:05 PM
Aug 15, 2021 4:58 PM
Jul 2018
Your wish became real in a way. Cowboy Bebop influence that was strong in 2000s almost perished. With that anime said good bye to the 90s once and for all and stopped being cool.
Aug 15, 2021 5:21 PM

Mar 2016
Sure, why wait? We can start now if you want.

You watch anime? Ew, cringe. 😀

Nah, I doubt the popularity of anime in the west will decrease anytime soon, if anything I think it's only just getting started. Manga, too.
A lot of fetishy otaku-oriented stuff and its fans will still be seen as "uncool" by most people for sure, but even if ecchi/loli/harem type stuff causes a moral panic I doubt it'll be enough to weaken anime's popularity as long as the next big shounen anime and the like keep coming out. Normie anime fans are just going to say "well I'm not that kind of anime fan" and then get back to watching Dragon Ball Super 2 or whatever is popular that season. Personally, I'd love for anime's popularity to thrive and for the community to not be composed out of judgemental people at the same time but it is what it is.
Aug 15, 2021 5:26 PM
Jul 2018
I'd prefer it to become less popular in the west tbh
Aug 15, 2021 5:37 PM

Mar 2021
I disagree with the whole premise of this forum thread. Anime has never been "uncool" before. Just because something isn't widely celebrated or acclaimed across the world doesn't make it "uncool". No offense to the OP but they have set up the premise to baselessly acclaim Anime as some fashion fad when it's not even close to anything like it.

There is no empirical data that even exists for anyone to even come close to any conclusion that presumes how cool or not Anime has ever been. But based on their opinion they purposely set up this thread up to make readers believe it as some fact when the premise is no more then just their own opinion.

Maybe I am just being too cynical about this and if you feel that way then I apologize. It's just I seen way too many threads that start off inserting something as some pseudo fact leading to a string of users posting as if the thread is some legitimate issue up for a debate when reality is it's just the OP's own opinion and they "believe" it to be something real.
ColourWheelAug 15, 2021 8:52 PM
Aug 15, 2021 5:50 PM

Sep 2018
well in general anime was never "cool"
cuz many ppl think it's just for kids + the whole weeb & otaku culture weirds ppl out
Aug 15, 2021 5:55 PM

Sep 2018
Anime will not lose its mainstream appeal since a lot of other media is wetting the bed going woke.
Aug 15, 2021 6:54 PM

Jul 2019
Anime is already pop culture in the west. Ever since the early 2010s pretty much.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 15, 2021 6:56 PM

Jul 2019
FoxyGramp_ said:
Yeah but it'll become cringe and uncool in less of a "what a fucking loser" way and more a "zoomer who thinks he's superior for watching foreign media" way if that makes any sense. It feels like a bunch of the new community are just trend hoppers who only watch because "its da cool thing to do". I hope it becomes uncool again because it was more fun when it was kinda niche and felt like a "guilty pleasure" to watch.

I feel anime is will always stay as a niche. No matter how popular it gets. People will see it as niche even if it's pop culture.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 15, 2021 6:59 PM

Jul 2019
rohan121 said:
Anime will not lose its mainstream appeal since a lot of other media is wetting the bed going woke.

Exactly. That's why anime is "different" because it's made by foreign country and not the west. I mean, western productions like Crunchyroll originals or collaborations are based off of materials that are from Korea and Japan.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 15, 2021 7:07 PM
May 2018
I don't think anime itself was ever "not cool"...

Only anime fans such as 45 year old men wearing Sailor Moon costumes.
Aug 15, 2021 9:51 PM

Jun 2011
Psajdak said:
I don't think anime itself was ever "not cool"...

Only anime fans such as 45 year old men wearing Sailor Moon costumes.

So many out of touch opinions like yours here. Is this an effect of the old adage "familiarity breeds contempt?" Yes, those types still exist, but even the Staciest of Stacies brags about liking Sailor Moon on their social media accounts.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Aug 15, 2021 10:08 PM
May 2021
I don't really think so, but even if it does, I don't think I'll ever stop watching anime. I have been watching it for almost a decade and like it more than normal series. Most of my friends like it as well, so much that 4/10 of our conversations are related to either that or dungeons&dragons.

Say whatever you want but being a nerd and having friends who are as well is amazing.
Aug 15, 2021 10:34 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Ahegyao said:
ISeeLifePeople said:

As ur wish, ok negro lol
If u talk about US broadcast no wonder if ur statement like dis maybe this all about national policy itself but if look at from shounen view after dragon ball era there are plenty anime started from 2000 Naruto, Bleach, FMAB, Hitman Reborn, etc even hxh n one piece if included as late 1999 show

Last reply because reading your barely comprehensive posts hurts. Look, the world is more than just your own country and by and large anime didn't have the staying power as yours. It's not just the US we're talking about. The sooner you realize Indonesia =/= the world the less likely you come off as a fool.

Too many fallacy in ur argument
1. U complaint about boomer, in fact boomer just generation classification nothing difference with gen z except for age itself
2. U started racisst with negro words, idk what ur mean before. Are u really negro or used them as ridicule ?
3. U mad when i discuss toonami which in reality that corporate under cartoon networks n operated in US. I used proper words whem told it on u few hours ago but ur reply only child play like skeptic opponent from their origin
4. Although first sentence i refer to US region but literally US just example coz next setence from my text written maybe this all about national policy itself so i didnt meant that toonami only focused in US nor every national except US contract to Japan with their local broadcast

So from those statement, proved that u are incompetent as thread starter. wanna be cool in argument otherwise u just ruin urself

Aug 15, 2021 10:55 PM

Jan 2020
Anime was never cool to begin with whole otaku culture and weeb creeps people out
Again watching anime ≠ otaku
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2021 10:55 PM

Mar 2020
Watching anime is cool now? Lol
I thought anime fans are just losers in life who don't go outside of their home.
Aug 15, 2021 11:20 PM

Jul 2021
I don't see that ever happening in the future, anime had got huge fanbase and a whole lotta ppl are also becoming a part of this media every day so there's no reason for anime to go stale
Aug 15, 2021 11:37 PM

Dec 2012
"Cool-ness" is in the eye of the beholder anyway and entirely subjective. If I think anime is cool than it is, regardless of what anyone else may think.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Aug 15, 2021 11:40 PM

Jun 2011
ISeeLifePeople said:
Ahegyao said:

Last reply because reading your barely comprehensive posts hurts. Look, the world is more than just your own country and by and large anime didn't have the staying power as yours. It's not just the US we're talking about. The sooner you realize Indonesia =/= the world the less likely you come off as a fool.

Too many fallacy in ur argument
1. U complaint about boomer, in fact boomer just generation classification nothing difference with gen z except for age itself
2. U started racisst with negro words, idk what ur mean before. Are u really negro or used them as ridicule ?
3. U mad when i discuss toonami which in reality that corporate under cartoon networks n operated in US. I used proper words whem told it on u few hours ago but ur reply only child play like skeptic opponent from their origin
4. Although first sentence i refer to US region but literally US just example coz next setence from my text written maybe this all about national policy itself so i didnt meant that toonami only focused in US nor every national except US contract to Japan with their local broadcast

So from those statement, proved that u are incompetent as thread starter. wanna be cool in argument otherwise u just ruin urself

Ugh, you're not gonna let this go well looks like I'm going to level with you.

1. Don't make up definitions to suit your convenience. You called me a boomer, I corrected you. Simple as that.
2. It's called slang, but I suppose that was lost on an ESL such as yourself. Weird thing to poke about really.
3 & 4. You sure love to assume things. I am not mad (In fact, by your first post you're the one who seem triggered). I am merely correcting you on your limited scope on anime. This has nothing to do with America or politics so you can stuff all that into your closet.

Instead of arguing in bad faith, you could've either ignored the topic or acted civil, but chose to butt heads instead. Unless you want this to turn into a pointless exchange, I suggest you stop here and go your merry way.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Aug 15, 2021 11:45 PM

Jul 2020
Yes, seeing how creepy the fandoms are ensures the downfall of anime. Like, look at the fandoms of boku no hero academia, haikyuu!, AoT, and so forth.
Aug 16, 2021 12:07 AM
Jan 2021
IpreferEcchi said:
Why do you want that? I want every woman to be familiar with anime characters so she can role play as them for me.
dude are you serious?? Lol XD i cant stop laughing
Aug 16, 2021 12:12 AM

Sep 2020
You said that "it's going down from here", I think it's what you are thinking but truth is that the anime industry isn't like a roadside convenience store that is losing customers as the days go by, even some of them get popular too. Furthermore, have you noticed that MAL users are increasing as well as anime streaming sites becoming more popular and most visited. It's a sign that anime is becoming increasingly popular.

In reality, even glass is not a perfectly smooth surface.That's how our world isn't perfect too.
ScarestoneAug 16, 2021 12:25 AM

◽◽◽

ᓚᘏᗢ

◽◽◽

Having lived through trauma and mind-fucking, I'm accustomed to it now.

Aug 16, 2021 12:22 AM
Jul 2018
I hope so, there's no faster way to hell for any form of entertainment than when masses of chads and roasties get into it and the medium starts to pander to them as they become the main revenue generators
Aug 16, 2021 12:30 AM

Oct 2008
In the West where I'm from, anime was considered neither cool, nor uncool. As far as the people around me and the places on the NET I visit are concerned, anime has always been cool.

But being to obsessive about something will always be considered uncool. That's how in Japan the term "otaku" was born after all. To me keeping up with what's trending is second, to being honest with what makes me happy.
Aug 16, 2021 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
This post is the reason I don't associate myself with both Elitists and Casuals as they are same sides of the same coin.
Just because a Minority of 1-5% don't like something doesn't mean the 90+% can't enjoy.
Just leave us alone or else I'll hack all your accounts.
Aug 16, 2021 1:30 AM
Feb 2014
Who cares, i watched anime before it was declared as "cool", it being uncool or whatever won't stop me from watching whatsoever!

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Aug 16, 2021 3:15 AM

Sep 2020
anime is cool
i'm not cool with anime fans(jk)
Aug 16, 2021 4:00 AM

Jul 2014
I very much doubt it. Go to any campus and ask just about anyone my age whether or not they watch anime and chances are they'll at least have seen and enjoyed something like Death Note, Demon Slayer or One Punch Man. Its ease of availability due to streaming platforms has ensured that it'll always have a wider audience than it did 15 or so years ago.
Take care of yourself

Aug 16, 2021 4:04 AM

Oct 2019
Jokes on you, anime was always uncool.
Aug 16, 2021 4:07 AM

Aug 2009
Nope. Gen Y lit the torch and Gen Z is running with it at a larger population.

You're welcome.

Aug 16, 2021 4:40 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Gen z likes it the most.

Yeah, I personally find this more annoying in comparison to being compared to elitists/weaboos. Idk but Gen Z annoys me a lot. Probably comes with age lol
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ཐི♡ཋྀ «•«━━━━┙
Aug 16, 2021 4:56 AM

Jun 2021
Since when is anime cool? anime is never cool
Aug 16, 2021 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
Anime stopped being cool when normies laid their filthy hands on it :)
Aug 16, 2021 5:27 AM

Sep 2011
_Ace-kun_ said:
Watching anime is cool now? Lol
I thought anime fans are just losers in life who don't go outside of their home.

Anime is popular now... I see a lot of people (in particular girls) who talk about anime on tik tok... And these people have much more social life than us here in MAL lol... Anime has become mainstream in the last few years (in particular because of the pandemic situation).
Aug 16, 2021 5:48 AM

Nov 2016
Anime was always cool to me and so were people who watch it.. that was until I started interacting more with the online community. Just look at some self-deprecating comments here.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 16, 2021 7:03 AM

Jul 2011
no it's way too mainstream now, and 2020 world is totally different from the 1990, now every niche thing thanks to the internet has become mainstream, until internet exist this will never subvert, it will just become ordinary like watching your classical cartoon on cartoon network
DortAug 16, 2021 7:11 AM
Aug 16, 2021 7:39 AM

Oct 2020
Watching anime was always uncool……
Aug 16, 2021 8:11 AM

Feb 2015
and why do you think it has the time period to be cool? Everyone understand the mediocracy of this shithole, everyone understands that only degenerates will like degenerates things. Therefore, it's not like anime will be uncool again because the premise needs it to be cool which has never existed.
Aug 16, 2021 9:01 AM

Feb 2021
it would probably be better since maybe not only shounen or high school comedies will recieve anime adaptations if that happens, beside why would you even care if it becomes niche again, as a self proclaimed nice elitist i think being niche is the best
e5812Aug 16, 2021 9:21 AM
Aug 16, 2021 11:10 AM

Jun 2020
maybe eventually in like 50 years or so, manga/anime production reduces, who knows it could be seen as just something old people like. Or maybe anime will evolve and lose its identity as a strictly japanese thing, and different countries will take inspiration in their own animations, so people will just see anime as just adult cartoons who knows, its already happening with webtoons/korean/chinese animations.
Aug 16, 2021 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
No but it'll become boring and forgotten about because there won't be another evangelion to elevate and innovate the industry anytime soon.
Aug 16, 2021 11:30 AM
Jul 2016
I don't really think that it was ever cool
Aug 16, 2021 12:31 PM

Mar 2020
Is it cool? Where? On the internet??
Aug 16, 2021 12:39 PM

Apr 2018
Since when was anime super popular in the 90s? LMAO
Aug 16, 2021 12:42 PM

Mar 2015
I missed the moment when anime suddenly stopped being uncool. as for "will it become" -- it already has
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Aug 16, 2021 12:51 PM

Aug 2017
Anime was always cool. Long live to Anime and Japan.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 16, 2021 1:01 PM

Oct 2017
Anime is pretty mainstream now, so no it won't fall of
Aug 16, 2021 1:02 PM

May 2021
probably not probably yes, but who cares? just look at this picture of zoro

Aug 16, 2021 1:07 PM

Jun 2010
I don't know what you mean with "cool" since anime was always considered "geeky" or otaku stuff. But it surely is becoming more popular, and I'm happy for that.
"But he who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because he is sufficient for himself,
must be either a beast or a god: he is no part of a state."
—Aristotle
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Which upcoming anime are you most excited about and why?

KyanBun - Yesterday

30 by Tabbs919 »»
6 seconds ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - 7 hours ago

12 by Quadruple_Oi »»
2 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

650 by Rakeshmedi »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it cheap to have girls in bikini in non beach episodes?

Catalano - 8 hours ago

17 by MasterTasuke »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you find modern disclaimers to be annoying?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

1 by Kwanthemaster »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.