Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 24, 2017 2:52 PM
Feb 2017
Woah I totally expected monkey to die wtf (and is it just me or did her face and entire body structure completely change depending on what she was wearing in each scene lmao). I guess since she survived it's ok to assume that this is where the story will start to pick up the pace A bit.
Oct 24, 2017 3:51 PM

Aug 2013
Monkey be a tragic hero fam. Dayum. Also next episode, double or triple death combo? Who knows? I feel like Rat may wind up killing Monkey when she least expects it. But that's just my thoughts.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 24, 2017 4:05 PM

Dec 2016
She tried to do good but sometimes bad things happen as a result.

I saw the boar on the tv screen as a part of that war, after seeing that I'm a little surprised she didn't square off against the monkey.

The necromancer even got whatever was left of the chicken and all her birds.

The one featured normally dies but this time the Monkey survived for at least this episode, should be a very good fight to watch next week.
Oct 24, 2017 4:16 PM

Feb 2017
I'm suprised that monkey didn't die in this episode, but that's probably only because there was no time left lol
Oct 24, 2017 4:33 PM

May 2015
I expected Monkey to die after the whole backstory. Looks like not, but there's always next episode. Hoping she won't die, though.

Oct 24, 2017 4:36 PM

Mar 2016
Well you know if they plan on having 12 episode one person can’t die every episode :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2017 4:40 PM

Dec 2010
Well that was extremely boring. I don't watch anime to get lectured on the nature of war and mankind.
Oct 24, 2017 5:08 PM

Jul 2017
I have a suspicion that Monkey may have some of that good old plot armor incoming. Don't get me wrong, I like her but she seems to be one of those characters.

On the side note, the animation was quite a bit inconsistent at times...
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Oct 24, 2017 6:06 PM

Jan 2011
ayyyyyyy no one died this week, Monkey having the most interesting backstory this time i'm glad she didn't die right after it all.
Oct 24, 2017 6:36 PM
Jan 2016
Finally broke the exposition-death pattern, quite the gamble to set such low expectations for three weeks like that.

Although the preview is about the Ram, so guess it's still going to be the character-of-the-week format. It really is a character-driven drama loosely disguised as a battle royale.
Oct 24, 2017 6:53 PM

Apr 2015
Did monkey break down the floor in Episode 1, not bombs or explosives, her 'Transmutation' abilities?
MeramipopOct 24, 2017 6:57 PM
Oct 24, 2017 6:55 PM

Jan 2013
A pretty calm episode that showed us some of the Shuryuu's story.
Really glad that she survived this episode, hope she will survive the next one too.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 24, 2017 7:29 PM
Jul 2017
First time the focus character didn't die.
Oct 24, 2017 7:45 PM

Jul 2015
The monkey's turn to have her backstory told, AND SHE DIDN'T DIE this episode, doesn't mean she won't die, and shes against Rabbit, who is indeed a very strong fighter here. I'm rooting for her right now, but as I don't know the backstories of the others yet, I can't say for certain who I hope will win this.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 24, 2017 8:07 PM
Aug 2017
LITERALLY ME

Tiger is my zodiac year and I just want some representation ;_;

Oct 24, 2017 9:14 PM
Sep 2009
phantomfandom said:
From the way Rat's talking, I think he's the past winner of Juni Taisen, many times, like he's struck in the loop or something that he wins easily everytime that it he's so bored and sleepy through and through. This anime however will resolve in that will get him out of this loop?

wrong the past winner is the father of the boar girl. he won because he travelled to a crowded place which he could use to his favor. maybe that rat won once before but who would send an elemantery or middle schooler to the juuni taisen?
Oct 24, 2017 9:18 PM

Jul 2014
This was an interesting episode. The whole conversation between Monkey and Rat was right down my alley. Its a reminder to me of the quality writer Nisio Isin is despite my meager interest in his Monogatari series. This show is turning out to be great!
Oct 24, 2017 9:27 PM
Jul 2018
No one died this week, wasn't expecting that. By the preview, it looks like next week's episode will focus on Sheep, so I'm curious on how they'll handle this cilffhanger.
Oct 24, 2017 10:30 PM

Mar 2016
... LOL, no one dies in this episode. Well she's physically strong so she won't die until some episode, I think?

5/5 Plot Twisted
5/5 Thighs (wtf...)
5/5 True stories...
My Profile
Anime
Manga
osu! Profile
No Picture Available for me... lol.
Oct 24, 2017 10:34 PM

May 2010
I really don't like the rabbit so far. nezumi is kinda boring too. Chicken and Monkey best girls so far.

And apparently my zodiac year is Ox, not that I agree with his methods anyway.
Oct 24, 2017 11:02 PM

Jan 2012
Why is everyone shocked that Monkey didn't die???

It was obvious from the amount of focus she was getting that she'd be a semi main character that wouldn't die immediately. lol

Also, if this will follow the light novel at all then everyone is in for a treat :')
KawaiiSlowpokeOct 24, 2017 11:06 PM
Oct 24, 2017 11:03 PM

Oct 2012
Granted that this episode wasn't as exciting as the others it gives us hope that some characters may be developed and maybe even keep around long-enough. Then we can so we can theorize motivations + strategy and root for who we like best.
Oct 24, 2017 11:07 PM

Feb 2014
No death this ep means maybe 2 next ep *fingers crossed*

Turns out i'm Year of the Sheep which is cool because he's the one I want to see fight the most

Oct 24, 2017 11:22 PM

Mar 2012
At the beginning I so thought "It's the monkey warrior's turn to die" was surprised to see that she didn't. I wonder if she'll die in the next episode or something.
Oct 24, 2017 11:36 PM

Jul 2013
wow, i'm really, REALLY digging this anime after this episode! i was enjoying it anyway, but it was mostly hovering around the 7 mark for me until now where if it continues in this fashion i'd definitely give it an 8. hell, maybe even a 9 if it pulls off a spectacular plot twist and gives us a great ending.

in these kinds of shows it's not often i'm so enamoured with episodes containing no fight scenes whatsoever, but i really enjoyed monkey's background. before now i was kinda indifferent to her bc her character trope is so overplayed and i guess you could lump me in with rat's pessimism where i often think "okay but no one could be THAT optimistic in real life". except with her... i believe it after this episode. talk about good writing.

also, rat's got me suspicious all over again. that slip-up at the end when he says she's "always" like this... coupled with how the others keep saying he's oddly familiar... i have a few different theories now, but i think the most plausible one right now is that his ability is cloning, hence the saying "multiplying like rats".

edit: well now i'm reading about everyone's (very plausible) time loop theories, i feel like a goddamn idiot.
ngl though i really hope that isn't the case. it's such an overused plot device these days... i'm hoping for something more original than that.
fishpunOct 24, 2017 11:47 PM
Oct 24, 2017 11:46 PM

Jan 2010
Best back story so far!

- As I expected, Monkey is the one breaking the pattern.
- Next episode, not sure but I wish she will live somehow.
- Yay we got some Rabbit action this episode! I love him <33 hopefully he will last till the final showdown!
- SO HYPED FOR SOME PSYCHO RABBIT ACTION next week!
- I'm more convinced about Rat being somehow involved in previous Juni Taisen(s).
Oct 24, 2017 11:57 PM

May 2015
Lol, wasn't expecting rat-kun to be a chuunibyou.
Oct 25, 2017 12:02 AM
Jun 2016
wait chicken die no ?? or what hello
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2017 12:20 AM
Sep 2015
bjjjg said:

wrong the past winner is the father of the boar girl. he won because he travelled to a crowded place which he could use to his favor. maybe that rat won once before but who would send an elemantery or middle schooler to the juuni taisen?

Let's say father of the boar girl won 5th juuni taisen and this is 6th juuni taisen, but how many times 6th juuni taisen already take place? Yes, I'm talking about time-loop in which participants died and revived with erased memory so many times. Rat's wish is probably to rewind time be cause it's maximize the probability of his survive because he'll just do the same thing again and again and again, living eternal life.
Oct 25, 2017 12:24 AM
May 2015
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE HORSE,I mean,they showed him fighting against the Ox (; A ;) ? If the anime is going to follow the reverse order,it's not Horse's turn to die yet... still hoping he's alive. And we haven't seen his backstory yet,soo~

I'm so angry that Snake is just a mere zombie (although he's shown in the ED as the eighth one) since my chinese zodiac sign is snake. XD
Oct 25, 2017 12:26 AM
Aug 2015
Ok, so this is the first time the episode ends with a cliffhanger, and no death of the players. I think i start to like Sharyu & Nezumi, they're a good pair.. Damn Sharyu actually has a tragic background.. Nezumi & Sharyu will fight Usagi & the Snake, plus bunch of Niwatori's birds lol.. also Goat will appear again in the next episode.
renzosparkOct 25, 2017 12:33 AM
Oct 25, 2017 12:59 AM

Apr 2016
They trolled us all ! Monkey is not dead ... yet.
Oct 25, 2017 1:19 AM

Sep 2017
Great episode.. I think monkey is my new favorite character so far.
Oct 25, 2017 1:43 AM

Oct 2017
phantomfandom said:
bjjjg said:

Let's say father of the boar girl won 5th juuni taisen and this is 6th juuni taisen, but how many times 6th juuni taisen already take place? Yes, I'm talking about time-loop in which participants died and revived with erased memory so many times. Rat's wish is probably to rewind time be cause it's maximize the probability of his survive because he'll just do the same thing again and again and again, living eternal life.

That's an interesting theory but theoretically speaking, why would someone, say Rat for example, want to repeat or throw something like the Juuni Taisen where he can potentially be killed regardless if he has a power - considering others have powers too - or is always in danger or where he's always trying to escape danger in a loop? Rabbit will be an exemption because he looks like someone who enjoys this but Rat seems someone who would prefer to avoid fighting or participate in a battle royale of sorts unless it's absolutely mandatory. Rat seems someone who just can't wait for it to be over. And if he gets out of it alive and in one piece, why will he wish for it to happen all over again? For someone like Rat, that doesn't seem to be logical. But for someone like Rabbit and perhaps Snake and Dragon, wanting something like this on a time loop will be possible.

Kind of off topic and I'm going to pretend I don't know anything (spoilers are everywhere and are very very tempting). I remember the Monkey saying something like 'no one has to die,' and I can't remember what the rules are exactly, but is it not possible for them to induce vomiting or poop the poisoned jewel out or did Duodecuple say something about that not feasible? But then again, the winner has to have all 12 jewels so I guess fighting for the others' jewels will inevitably result to either death or serious injury anyway so forget about that.
Oct 25, 2017 2:33 AM
Sep 2015
staranise said:
why would someone, say Rat for example, want to repeat or throw something like the Juuni Taisen where he can potentially be killed regardless if he has a power - considering others have powers too - or is always in danger or where he's always trying to escape danger in a loop?

From the latest talk Rat life inside and outside Juuni Taisen is probably the same. Or even the outside is worse when he mention that he doesn't want to go to war to protect trash people. In Juuni Taisen at least he's going to war for himself. I've to admit that I'm not sure about my theory but there's a few choice of plot device that trigger everyone's memory to reset.
Oct 25, 2017 2:50 AM
Nov 2016
So Sharyu can transmutate stuff, Damn, she is powerful.

My money is on that rat boy to win as the show hasn't even revealed his power yet while we know the powers of all the others.
Oct 25, 2017 3:32 AM

Oct 2008
Wow! something different happened!
I thought that the next one that will fall will be the one that will get a deathflag by showing the past flashback of each one of them but this time we get to see some cliffhanger huh...
I hope that they don't follow the ED visuals because that's really lame and predictable!
4/5.

Oct 25, 2017 3:44 AM
Feb 2016
this song rapture is rly good xd and the anime is even better
Oct 25, 2017 4:14 AM

May 2009
@everybody saying Monkey surviving this episode broke the pattern:
12 contestants - 1 survivor = 11 deaths in 12 episodes.

How did Rabbit get to control the birds? He didn't kill Chicken and after her death the birds consumed her, so there was nothing to animate. Even if he can rise animals from the dead to control them, he doesn't have the ability to see through their eyes.
Oct 25, 2017 4:23 AM

Jun 2011
bjjjg said:
phantomfandom said:
From the way Rat's talking, I think he's the past winner of Juni Taisen, many times, like he's struck in the loop or something that he wins easily everytime that it he's so bored and sleepy through and through. This anime however will resolve in that will get him out of this loop?

My thoughts exactly. People seem to forget that fact pretty easily. :D

Crochax said:

How did Rabbit get to control the birds? He didn't kill Chicken and after her death the birds consumed her, so there was nothing to animate. Even if he can rise animals from the dead to control them, he doesn't have the ability to see through their eyes.

We don't really know the full extent of his ability. Unless you read the original content know for a fact he can't absorb their abilities?
Oct 25, 2017 4:28 AM

Jan 2016
Shicchi said:
Best back story so far!

- As I expected, Monkey is the one breaking the pattern.
- Next episode, not sure but I wish she will live somehow.
- Yay we got some Rabbit action this episode! I love him <33 hopefully he will last till the final showdown!
- SO HYPED FOR SOME PSYCHO RABBIT ACTION next week!
- I'm more convinced about Rat being somehow involved in previous Juni Taisen(s).

daughter of monkeys, breaker of chains

Oct 25, 2017 4:33 AM
May 2017
I don't see Monkey, Rat, or Rabbit dying next episode. They are all very much staple characters. This episode went out of its way to make you think Monkey would die, but she didn't. On top of that, we haven't seen Monkey's true potential as a fighter or a pacifist, both things that have been MAJOR talking points. I'm calling it: Next episode is getting the peace treaty back on.
Oct 25, 2017 4:41 AM

Jan 2016
Slowpoke_ said:
Why is everyone shocked that Monkey didn't die???

It was obvious from the amount of focus she was getting that she'd be a semi main character that wouldn't die immediately. lol

Also, if this will follow the light novel at all then everyone is in for a treat :')

you tease
right cos when i saw the anime poster i did think monkey and rat were the MCs based on how they're positioned

Oct 25, 2017 4:56 AM

Jan 2016
he controlle
Crochax said:

He controlled the ones that were shot down by boar. He doesn't have to see through their eyes, they're puppets now, controlled just like snake was when he ambushed monkey at the manhole, and besides the purpose of necromancy itself is to see the future/ uncover hidden things.

Oct 25, 2017 5:16 AM

Jul 2016
good episode, still confused on monkey's powers and i thought it was different that she had a husband
Oct 25, 2017 5:35 AM

Jul 2016
RobbyStock said:
LITERALLY ME

Tiger is my zodiac year and I just want some representation ;_;

My Zodiac is the tiger as well, but since the show fallow the zodiac order in reverse then you well wait till the 10th epo
Oct 25, 2017 5:41 AM
Apr 2016
KurenaiTennyo said:

We don't really know the full extent of his ability. Unless you read the original content know for a fact he can't absorb their abilities?

He simply had them "risen" and follow his orders. Himself he would struggle to get them under control since they are agile enough to avoid all his melee or throwable attacks, but since Chicken ordered a slaughter at Boar, there were hundreds of them lying around. Which, Rabbit used to my surprise. Which is smart.
Re:formed
Oct 25, 2017 5:52 AM

Jan 2016
I'm really relieved that Monkey didn't die in this episode! It's nice that the Monkey is a genuinely nice person. I liked the rabbit at first but he's slowly becoming less interesting to me. Or maybe it's because my interest is now focused on the Rat and Monkey? probably

Well anyways, I'm hoping that the Rat and Monkey will last long in this series!
Oct 25, 2017 6:41 AM

Jan 2016
DuoraDoll said:
The monkey's turn to have her backstory told, AND SHE DIDN'T DIE this episode, doesn't mean she won't die, and shes against Rabbit, who is indeed a very strong fighter here. I'm rooting for her right now, but as I don't know the backstories of the others yet, I can't say for certain who I hope will win this.

Well she'd have a better chance at kicking usagi's aerobicized ass if she could just put her ugly backpack and headphones down one second.

we all know nice girls finish last so it's only natural that her death is coming soon, but yeah I'd like to see monkey go far with her pacifist ideology. I wouldn't say she's the closest character to being innocent though (her plans for peace did kill a lot of people before) unlike rat or horse both of whom probably never killed a fly. The latter especially doesn't seem like the violent type despite the bulk that he is, which is a shocker.

Oct 25, 2017 6:48 AM

Jan 2016
Rideontime said:
Did monkey break down the floor in Episode 1, not bombs or explosives, her 'Transmutation' abilities?

She did, she said so in ep2.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Should I avoid watching the ED until after I've finished the series?

Jax - Jan 22

4 by StarlightShiba »»
Jan 31, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2017

211 by Stuntdrath »»
Dec 27, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2017

197 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 7:28 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2017

112 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2017

222 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 5:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.