New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 3, 2014 4:41 PM

Jul 2013
That OST tho... <3_<3
Oct 3, 2014 11:12 PM

Sep 2014
I agree.

Why the hell did 12 give Lisa the bomb in the first place? It's odd how they go from meticulously planning every single move to acting on a self destructive whim in the blink of an eye. Lisa wasn't a necessary character (although I did like her, she was a sweetie).

The fact that 5 could do whatever the fuck she pleased with no consequences was ridiculous. The chess game... I'll just forget that ever happened. I think the show would've been better if the detective squared off against 9/12 for the entirety of the show in a cat/mouse game.

Everyone single inch of Japan is covered by recorded video or some sort of magic. How did 5 know that LIsa was living at their apartment? How did she even know where the apartment was in the first place? How in the hell did she have camera footage of Lisa exiting that run down arcade? If she knew they were there, shouldn't she have taken the initiative and arrested them sooner?

Despite all that, I still enjoyed watching this anime. It was fun and engaging.
Oct 3, 2014 11:23 PM

Dec 2013
much_kawaii said:
That OST tho... <3_<3
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 3, 2014 11:42 PM

Aug 2007
I wanted to love it, but I couldn't. Though I did like the show, I agree with the OP. The final "showdown" with 5ive was anti-climactic. Lisa was.. useless pretty much.

Lovely animation and music though
Oct 4, 2014 3:07 AM

Feb 2012
I agree. After this and Space Dandy, I think Mr. Cowboy Champloo has lost his touch. Faith lost.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2014 3:56 AM

Jun 2011
If we look realistically, it indeed has many flaws, yet it's still amazing as hell. Must be the aesthetic appeal...
Oct 4, 2014 8:25 AM
Oct 2012
kickmesign said:
I agree. After this and Space Dandy, I think Mr. Cowboy Champloo has lost his touch. Faith lost.

Watanabe is known for stylish episodes and choreographed music. He's not the kind of guy for scripts or story and you really need to be lucky to have flashy writers or skilled artist to carry the plot. He prefers style over substance.

Even Bebop had it and if not for the writers, we might have never been given a classic.
Oct 4, 2014 8:35 AM
Oct 2012
notsomacho said:
I agree.

Why the hell did 12 give Lisa the bomb in the first place? It's odd how they go from meticulously planning every single move to acting on a self destructive whim in the blink of an eye. Lisa wasn't a necessary character (although I did like her, she was a sweetie).

The fact that 5 could do whatever the fuck she pleased with no consequences was ridiculous. The chess game... I'll just forget that ever happened. I think the show would've been better if the detective squared off against 9/12 for the entirety of the show in a cat/mouse game.

Everyone single inch of Japan is covered by recorded video or some sort of magic. How did 5 know that Lisa was living at their apartment? How did she even know where the apartment was in the first place? How in the hell did she have camera footage of Lisa exiting that run down arcade? If she knew they were there, shouldn't she have taken the initiative and arrested them sooner?

Despite all that, I still enjoyed watching this anime. It was fun and engaging.

Twelve was never with the plan, he's very care free and enjoys life and he knows Nine is going to die eventually while his LifeSpan will extend his, maybe triple his eventual death. He loves the world and he strongly wanted to assist Nine's Nightmare problems. With Lisa having the same aesthetic as the institution children, you get an idea. she should have NEVER been in the show in the first place but Twelve liked to interfere and do things his way. He's a child and Nine is the father through the whole series.

Five and the USA have high leverage thanks to one, the past super soldier experiments meaning they have dirt on their history and blackmailing them to no end. Not to mention the atom bomb they're producing behind closed doors. If not for her connections and America knowing their terrible past, we would have never seen Five again.

There are cameras from traffic lights to capture anyone daring to run a red light or record accidents. Now, I live in the USA and don't know what it looks like in Japan. But when the terrorists are able to find Lisa running from home on Google Maps, you can guess it won't be hard for Five who knows her ID to look up her phone and search her coordinates and whereabouts. Like Twelve has done.

And amybe cause Lisa had her phone which Five can track and see movements, instantly high tailing and looking for her location. One issue must be the story telling and never giving enough time to say what's going on. Like, if this was thirteen episodes, we might have gotten more time to understand some of the more headscratching moments. But with eleven episodes, you really have to think hard.

And this is Five, the same person who wishes to beat Nine in a game. Mostly because that was her only reason to live. Nine said everyone in the institution had no reason to live and ended up dying right away. Five lasted so long just to see Nine one more time and play games with him again. Her sole wish and you must realize that she's emotionally and mentally stuned from drugs and imagine how much fun she had playing against Nine when eating itself was a boring task like breathing.

I loved the show and i'd rate it on a 8/10 in critical analysis. But my enjoyment is too high to no give this show a ten despite the flaws.
Oct 4, 2014 5:13 PM

Sep 2014
Also, why the hell was there even a bomb at the airport

all they had to do was lure them in; there was no point setting it off and losing all that $$
Oct 5, 2014 2:21 AM

Nov 2009
The series itself was really good.

The main cast were all really strong in their roles if you ask me.

Been one of the best suspense anime of the last couple of years, it always left me hanging when the episode ended with it's nasty nasty cliffhangers XD
Oct 5, 2014 2:46 AM

Dec 2013
On some levels I can see where you're coming from cause this did remind me a lot of cowboy bebop (which i didnt like and much and gave 6/10) but i feel like this was very solid overall.

In a way Lisa didn't have to be in the series but she was important to 9 and 12 as a person. Plus she did contribute to the story (not in the best way but as in the damsel in distress half the time) and made it a little more interesting in my view.

I also sorta agree with you on the point of character development. We dont get to know 9 and 12 more than their back story but i feel like watching them and observing how they act under the different situations we see how they are and how they change.

I thought their motives were actually very good. Until the ending i didnt get it but when they pointed out that the reason was to expose the child testing they went through i felt that was reason enough for causing a bunch of explosions and destroying a lot of things.

I would say there was some resolution for the characters. I mean yeah 9 and 12 died but their goal was achieved which is enough in my view. Lisa sorta goes on with her life and i'm guessing going through all that she changed as a person (idk but i'm guessing).

Side note, anyone wanna explain why 5 kissed 9 then killed herself cause that baffled me. like that was pretty unnecessary and sorta made her character seem illogical.
Mr_AmbivalenceOct 5, 2014 2:50 AM
Examining one series under the magnifying glass at a time.
Oct 5, 2014 7:22 AM
Nov 2013
I have to admit, I have no idea why Lisa was really included. She did not grow as a character, and constantly screwed-up. Maybe if there was just an opportunity in an episode (or even the last few episodes) for her to do SOMETHING, my opinions would change. However, what role did 5 play?
Oct 6, 2014 4:25 PM
Jan 2009
"It's not mediocre, it's okay"

it took me days to recover from that one

They biggest travesty here is that both Bebop and Champloo (and Kids on the Slope) were so good at having a really strong trio of characters, with layered personalities and fun interactions

And then this show had three one-dimensional, uninteresting mains, where one was awful

Spike, Jet and Faye? Amazing. Hell, Ed and Ein were amazing too.
Mugen, Jin and Fuu? Also amazing.
Lisa, 9 and 12, meanwhile, had the strongest potential to be interesting characters because of their actions and motivations in being terrorists, but fell totally flat.
Oct 6, 2014 8:07 PM
Oct 2012
Nyron said:
"It's not mediocre, it's okay"

it took me days to recover from that one

They biggest travesty here is that both Bebop and Champloo (and Kids on the Slope) were so good at having a really strong trio of characters, with layered personalities and fun interactions

And then this show had three one-dimensional, uninteresting mains, where one was awful

Spike, Jet and Faye? Amazing. Hell, Ed and Ein were amazing too.
Mugen, Jin and Fuu? Also amazing.
Lisa, 9 and 12, meanwhile, had the strongest potential to be interesting characters because of their actions and motivations in being terrorists, but fell totally flat.

Watanabe loves to be very flashy and you may see from Bebop and Champloo on his direction.

He loves to by stylish above everything else.

With four writers, you get to see what makes his style becomes boggled. His directing was great but the writing still makes you scratch your head.

If not for the writers, this would have been a ten out of ten show. Had he gotten a Bebop writer back, it'd be a wrap.

If no writers come together, you'll see his direction suffer. For what the show's worth and what it made me as a viewer imagine and see what's going on, it is a 8/10 show with hidden meanings. But that depends on a person's view and what they may see. Not every person loves to peek and analyze scenes and dialogue, only be passive and watch with no mind paying attention.

I came here expecting something different or new, not a continuation of Bebop or Champloo. That's people's fault. I came for the name but not expecting the magic, maybe that's the issue.

With eleven episodes, plot and messages come first. Had it been twenty two episodes, oh, we might have had a different task at hand.

One last thing, Watanabe loves Journies, making sure you cherish the duration the characters were together. Every show he's directed and took part in will explain to you how it feels to be in the moment and enjoy with the environment by friends or colleagues. Cause you never know when it'll end.
Oct 8, 2014 4:08 AM

May 2009
LegnaOnFire said:
Nyron said:
I posted a half-dozen solid criticisms of the series. How is this thread vague?
And 6/10 by definition is mediocre. Are you daft?

It is subjetive, but 6/10 isn't mediocre, it is something you enjoyed but you didn't like how it ended.

5 is bad, anything under 4 is plain shit nobody should ever watch.

Again, it is subjetive...

That's gaming sites rating system. Mediocre is 5.
Oct 10, 2014 2:49 PM
Jul 2014
i'll say it again, Lelouch's half sister who is in a wheelchair and blind is more bearable to watch than Lisa.
Oct 10, 2014 4:40 PM

Nov 2010
bastek66 said:
LegnaOnFire said:

It is subjetive, but 6/10 isn't mediocre, it is something you enjoyed but you didn't like how it ended.

5 is bad, anything under 4 is plain shit nobody should ever watch.

Again, it is subjetive...

That's gaming sites rating system. Mediocre is 5.

Everyone has their own rating system.
For me, 10 is my favorites, 9 are amazing (like 10 but not fav's), 8 are really interesting. Here it stops, 7 are anime that had potential to become great, but somewhere it misses it, yes, it's better than all other anime, but worse than the good, simply original. And 6- are simply bad anime, maybe it had something, but really boring as the score goes down.

So as somebody has told me, 7 is "good", maybe according to the MAL "naming" score, but nor for me, you can call it good, but I wouldn't really recommend it to someone, I would simply say: "Watch it to just know the anime" or "Watch it at your own risk".
But yeah, it is original.
Oct 11, 2014 9:58 AM

Jul 2012
vrist said:
i'll say it again, Lelouch's half sister who is in a wheelchair and blind is more bearable to watch than Lisa.

No, burn that bitch. Lisa > any of Code Geass's female characters
Oct 11, 2014 3:19 PM

Apr 2014
Agree about the Lisa part but still a good show and not too unrealistic.
Oct 12, 2014 4:28 PM

May 2009
The OP hit the nail on the head with the points he brought up. There is nothing more I can add or say to express my overall feelings about the show. It wasn't bad, I did enjoy it on some level, but it wasn't remarkable either. The animation and soundtrack were the saving grace of an otherwise lackluster and forgettable anime.
Oct 17, 2014 1:49 PM
Jan 2009
JetNZ said:
Zankyou No Terror is just style over substance. If you had to list the two best things about the series, it would be the animation and music. It's lacking in almost everything else. Characterisation and plot, two things that were ordinary here, are two of the most important things to get right to have a quality series. Their motive behind their actions was weak, and that HAD to be strong to make everything work. Five shouldn't have been a thing. Lisa should have actually added value. I loved the first two episodes, but unfortunately it didn't deliver much after that.

6/10 for me. Not terrible, but possibly the biggest waste of potential I've seen since Guilty Crown.

I wouldn't call this show "style over substance" at all
The show had no style to speak of, it was visually very dry and uninteresting in its attempts to be realistic. Bebop, Champloo and Dandy were all better examples of "style"
Oct 18, 2014 12:22 AM

Mar 2013
Nyron said:

The show had no style to speak of, it was visually very dry and uninteresting in its attempts to be realistic. Bebop, Champloo and Dandy were all better examples of "style"
Keep babbling and flapping your mouth as if you could come up with something better, and that goes for the rest of the fucking critique around this site of shitty component.
Oct 19, 2014 4:33 PM

May 2009
Afezeria said:
Nyron said:

Keep babbling and flapping your mouth as if you could come up with something better, and that goes for the rest of the fucking critique around this site of shitty component.

Nov 6, 2014 3:17 PM

Apr 2013
No it wasn't. IMO it was the best of summer and one of the best in 2014. It had everything I look for in a show. I was like today i have ZnT. No matter what I'll watch the episode when i return home no matter the time. This ,F/STN and WIXOSS make me say such thing. The story had bombing and terrorism it was better than perfect. The few plot holes didn't seem to be enough for me to not enjoy this show to the fullest.
Forgot to mention Gokukoku no Brynhildr made me have the same feelings.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Nov 6, 2014 3:21 PM

Jul 2012
Nyron said:

> visually very dry
> no style
someone's a hater.
Dec 30, 2014 2:57 PM

Sep 2009
Finished it in one go. Gotta say after reading this thread there's a lot of whack ass traditionalist on MAL. One of the shows that still try to go above and beyond the sea of shit that Anime is slowly becoming and it's instantly dismissed because it's not as "realistic" or "good as" a previous entry or some super imposed standard. Seriously? I myself acknowledge it's not perfect nor all cohesive but shit, even I know this is the kind of stuff the industry needs to be focusing on. Looking at the line up of staff it's clear what happened in development and how it affected the final product. Even so the show still managed to paint a colorful story and interesting backdrop that the audience can play with.

This is a 10/10 not because it's perfect but because this is the sorta shit that needs recognition, good or bad, so hopefully more higher quality work will be the emphasis of the industry in the future.
Dec 30, 2014 3:00 PM

Jan 2013
LordLagann said:
Finished it in one go. Gotta say after reading this thread there's a lot of whack ass traditionalist on MAL. One of the shows that still try to go above and beyond the sea of shit that Anime is slowly becoming and it's instantly dismissed because it's not as "realistic" or "good as" a previous entry or some super imposed standard. Seriously? I myself acknowledge it's not perfect nor all cohesive but shit, even I know this is the kind of stuff the industry needs to be focusing on. Looking at the line up of staff it's clear what happened in development and how it affected the final product. Even so the show still managed to paint a colorful story and interesting backdrop that the audience can play with.

This is a 10/10 not because it's perfect but because this is the sorta shit that needs recognition, good or bad, so hopefully more higher quality work will be the emphasis of the industry in the future.

this is the best logic.

this show is perfect, not because its perfect, but because other stuff could be perfect.

people on mal like this show because terrorism and guns are edgy and cool. dont you guys get that?

this show didnt have to be good. it only had to have slick art and be about edgy stuff.
Dec 30, 2014 7:03 PM

Sep 2009
SolvitePriest said:

this is the best logic.

this show is perfect, not because its perfect, but because other stuff could be perfect.

people on mal like this show because terrorism and guns are edgy and cool. dont you guys get that?

this show didnt have to be good. it only had to have slick art and be about edgy stuff.

You either missed my point completely or are just too in love with the current bare minimum moeshit effort the industry has taken on. If we've started on focusing on this stuff years ago and then something like this came out there would be legit reasons to get your panties in a bunch. Since we haven't and shows like this rarely ever see daylight it's a wonder why there's even a discussion about it.

This show is far from perfect, but it went out there and tried something. Even with it's imperfections it still is leagues above a majority of shows that aired within it's season. It's astonishing how people will immediately downplay all the things that were done right and blow up everything that missed it's mark. As if turning the pages of time back and pointing at an example years prior will help solidify their argument.

Bottom line is we need more shows headed in this direction and it's never gonna be done properly if people bitch and moan every time someone takes a shot. It's clear that it suffers from a variable of problems. It's also clear those same problems aren't even discussed when it comes to shows that are more popular and mainstream. Yet when it comes to this everyone has to jump on it as if there isn't a more glaring issue at hand. Would you rather see more iterations and development of something like this or another mass waifu marketing campaign? I'd take the former.
Feb 10, 2015 9:28 AM

Jan 2013
LordLagann said:
SolvitePriest said:

this is the best logic.

You either missed my point completely or are just too in love with the current bare minimum moeshit effort the industry has taken on. If we've started on focusing on this stuff years ago and then something like this came out there would be legit reasons to get your panties in a bunch. Since we haven't and shows like this rarely ever see daylight it's a wonder why there's even a discussion about it.

This show is far from perfect, but it went out there and tried something. Even with it's imperfections it still is leagues above a majority of shows that aired within it's season. It's astonishing how people will immediately downplay all the things that were done right and blow up everything that missed it's mark. As if turning the pages of time back and pointing at an example years prior will help solidify their argument.

Bottom line is we need more shows headed in this direction and it's never gonna be done properly if people bitch and moan every time someone takes a shot. It's clear that it suffers from a variable of problems. It's also clear those same problems aren't even discussed when it comes to shows that are more popular and mainstream. Yet when it comes to this everyone has to jump on it as if there isn't a more glaring issue at hand. Would you rather see more iterations and development of something like this or another mass waifu marketing campaign? I'd take the former.
lol this anime is actually pretty gray and to say it's unique makes me question what kind of drugs you're on. Edgy premise, unrealistic characters, and retard execution; it's a very disappointing series, especially coming from a writer known for making charming characters
Apr 22, 2015 2:55 PM

May 2011
Nyron said:
No character development
Lisa had no reason to be in the show at all
Main characters' motivations were weak
The climaxes of the series were genuinely unexciting
It attempted to be as realistic as possible, but completely contradicted that with all of its gaping holes in logic
No real resolution for any characters at all

I liked that it put a lot of effort into the terrorism sequences and bombs, it seemed like they did a lot of research there

but everything else? This show is a 6/10 at absolute best

I'm really disappointed in Watanabe

yay agree 100 percent
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

873 by linzblue »»
May 30, 1:14 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Djidji - Jul 5, 2014

544 by Yushh »»
May 20, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

420 by Mr_Fudgee »»
May 19, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

349 by Mr_Fudgee »»
May 17, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

417 by ozrodger46 »»
May 6, 7:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.