Forums
New
Sep 29, 2014 9:52 AM
Jan 2009
No character development
Lisa had no reason to be in the show at all
Main characters' motivations were weak
The climaxes of the series were genuinely unexciting
It attempted to be as realistic as possible, but completely contradicted that with all of its gaping holes in logic
No real resolution for any characters at all

I liked that it put a lot of effort into the terrorism sequences and bombs, it seemed like they did a lot of research there

but everything else? This show is a 6/10 at absolute best

I'm really disappointed in Watanabe
NyronOct 4, 2014 9:55 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 29, 2014 12:28 PM

Sep 2013
It wasn't.
Sep 29, 2014 12:31 PM

Jul 2011
agreeing except lisas point was to provide some kind of character development for 12
Sep 29, 2014 12:34 PM

Apr 2013
it was fantastic
Sep 29, 2014 12:36 PM

Sep 2011
I love threads that are nothing more than vague complaints without context leaving no real room for any disscussion of any kind other than desperate calls to find others who agree with them or an attempt to stand out

Also
"6/10"
"mediocre"

fucking lol

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 29, 2014 12:40 PM

Jul 2011
JizzyHitler said:
I love threads that are nothing more than vague complaints without context leaving no real room for any disscussion of any kind other than desperate calls to find others who agree with them or an attempt to stand out

Did you write your own wiki page? Christ
Sep 29, 2014 12:44 PM

Sep 2011
marriage said:
JizzyHitler said:

Did you write your own wiki page? Christ
sure why not

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 29, 2014 12:52 PM

Dec 2013
Everything that OP said actually is kinda true. I admit. Though I like ZnT.
Sep 29, 2014 1:48 PM
Jan 2009
marriage said:
agreeing except lisas point was to provide some kind of character development for 12

this is never fine
but it's excusable if the "tool character" isn't one of the main characters of the series. And it's so weird to see, because Bebop and Champloo had wonderful main trios.

JizzyHitler said:

Also
"6/10"
"mediocre"

fucking lol

I posted a half-dozen solid criticisms of the series. How is this thread vague?
And 6/10 by definition is mediocre. Are you daft?
Sep 29, 2014 1:51 PM

Jan 2013
you should seriously just write a review next time. you dont have to make a thread to give your opinion.
Sep 29, 2014 2:03 PM
Jan 2009
I usually do, for shows that either really good or really bad
but this show really wasn't even exciting enough to get riled up about one way or the other.
Sep 29, 2014 2:12 PM

Sep 2011
Nyron said:

JizzyHitler said:

Also
"6/10"
"mediocre"

fucking lol

Your saying empty phrases without applying them to any specifics, you said the exact equivalent to saying "this show is not cause its not good" Apply your statements with actual context. And on top of that dont make pathetic calls for attention like this thread as it gives no discussion, go make a review or post in the episode discussion instead of making cancer like this thread

Nyron said:

God damn this is funny

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Sep 29, 2014 7:01 PM

Jul 2014
Nyron said:

It is subjetive, but 6/10 isn't mediocre, it is something you enjoyed but you didn't like how it ended.

5 is bad, anything under 4 is plain shit nobody should ever watch.

Again, it is subjetive...
Sep 29, 2014 7:08 PM

Jun 2014
Nyron said:
No character development
It attempted to be as realistic as possible, but completely contradicted that with all of its gaping holes in logic

I liked that it put a lot of effort into the terrorism sequences and bombs, it seemed like they did a lot of research there

Ex-fucking-actly. What i've been trying to tell people. The only good thing about this show was the art. I think people like the idea of the show rather than the show itself
Sep 29, 2014 7:13 PM

Dec 2012
marriage said:

Except he got shot anyways so all that character development was pointless. Nine and Twelve's goal from the beginning was to get caught so they could have just detonated the atomic bomb from the very first episode, all those riddles were pointless, Five was pointless, it was all pointless crap slapped on to make you feel like you just watched a DEEP "psychological thriller".
Also the message of the show was pretty much "concentration camps are evil", this anime had nothing to do with terrorism, just another thing slapped on to make you feel like you're watching something DEEP.
Sep 29, 2014 7:18 PM
Feb 2014
It was above mediocre......It was okay.
Sep 29, 2014 7:20 PM

Jul 2014
Starx said:
marriage said:

Except he got shot anyways so all that character development was pointless. Nine and Twelve's goal from the beginning was to get caught so they could have just detonated the atomic bomb from the very first episode, all those riddles were pointless, Five was pointless, it was all pointless crap slapped on to make you feel like you just watched a DEEP "psychological thriller".
Also the message of the show was pretty much "concentration camps are evil", this anime had nothing to do with terrorism, just another thing slapped on to make you feel like you're watching something DEEP.
To kill a developed character is something normal, happens a lot when the end is near, so they can hurt your kokoro.
Sep 29, 2014 7:27 PM

Dec 2012
LegnaOnFire said:
Starx said:

To kill a developed character is something normal, happens a lot when the end is near, so they can hurt your kokoro.

My point was they could have killed him from the very first episode and it would have made no difference, except to your feels.
Sep 29, 2014 7:28 PM

Sep 2011
god damn im so glad i watched the last 3 episodes before coming back in its thread, jesus christ use fucking spoiler tags guys

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Sep 29, 2014 7:30 PM

Sep 2011
Starx said:

My point was they could have killed him from the very first episode and it would have made no difference, except to your feels.
So the only difference is you care in the way we did it? Sure thats not important or anything, and his development totally wasnt crucial to how the last 4 episodes played out or anything

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Sep 29, 2014 7:56 PM

Feb 2013
This show was a load of bollocks.
Sep 29, 2014 9:00 PM

Jun 2013
gedata said:

I agree that in retrospect, much of the show feels somewhat pointless. I blame it on the length and the poor planning on the writer's part, but those alone shouldn't justify their mediocre execution of a show that could have been so much better. I do want to say that there are answers to all your questions, it's just that the show didn't have enough time to capitalize and emphasize most of them:
Sep 29, 2014 11:23 PM

Apr 2011
pakoko said:
gedata said:

I agree that in retrospect, much of the show feels somewhat pointless. I blame it on the length and the poor planning on the writer's part, but those alone shouldn't justify their mediocre execution of a show that could have been so much better. I do want to say that there are answers to all your questions, it's just that the show didn't have enough time to capitalize and emphasize most of them:

glad you pointed it out before I justify something that this show isn't actually mediocore because it's pointless. rather that somewhat because the length of the episodes in this anime given (I guess because noitamina anime used to go with 11 episodes.. or it could be longer like psycho-pass and samurai flamenco did). And as resulted to have weak story-telling that makes half of people think this show is silly.

As pretty much for me, this show is pretty straight-forward enough and have give the conclusion. And sadly I will respectfully disagree that because i pretty much attached with the characters when I watched this anime, I saw the big character development of the main protagonists. And their motivation are strong enough until the end because their hopes granted that "to reveal japan darkness" and so on. people may dislike the ending because of charadeaths but I'm more satisfied with that result because they didn't have anything to do if they were arrested. It's bittersweet ending.
Sep 30, 2014 12:31 AM
Apr 2011
gedata said:

Very good point, but they still would be needed to be taken seriously enough to even get their chance at a press conference. The bombings were all set up as specific targets to that the detectives against them would connect them to Project Athena and basically have their own way though it.
- Editor for Chihiro Subs and Lead Editor for Amaterasu Translations

Jesus, I never thought a more shit opinion could exist than "Fairy Tail is a good anime". -SaberARV

Sep 30, 2014 3:52 AM

Feb 2014
The bombing part was not that useless considering they needed someone who can "keep up" with them.

But even so i agree that it was rather mediocre. I would say the problem is the length of this series, but why they made it 11 episode instead of 12 or 13, or for better it can make it 2 cour instead so the character will gets more development and fleshed or the plot could be better. I am disappointed with Lisa's role, moreover with five.
Sep 30, 2014 3:58 AM

Jun 2009
So far (after 9 episodes) I agree, will probably end up rating it a 7 though.
Sep 30, 2014 4:02 AM

Feb 2013
pakoko said:
gedata said:

Well I thank you for engaging what I had to say. I must say they really dropped the ball with the Sphinx/Shibazaki dynamic. They should've kept up with that the whole way through. Shiba explaining that he was their Oedipus at the end was rather heavy-handed and self-explanatory. Not sure why they did that.

It's such a shame that the show's messages had so much thought put into them, yet the delivery was so blunt
Sep 30, 2014 4:06 AM
Mar 2011
It was extremely bad. I am ashamed that I watched (even though I enjoyed watching it a little bit), similar situation with Pupa (but in Pupa there was 0% enjoyment).

It was 100% stereotypical show: 2 stereotypical guys are with a stereotypical girl, what makes it even more stereotypical. They have a stereotypical past and a stereotypical goal. They meet a stereotypical villain, which they stereotypically knew from the past. And in the end they have a stereotypical ending.

I think it's a kind of thing that can be made by a student in anime industry, but not something to be aired...
Sep 30, 2014 4:25 AM

Nov 2010
I'm really happy that I'm not the only one who find it hard to like, it was good, but I actually excepted more from it. =
I ended with giving the show 7/10, which is not bad nor good.

Like most of the people said, it wasn't excited enough, just compare Death Note anime vs Death Note movie, anime is way better because it was filmed better, so think about ZnT the same, it wasn't filmed so intense or anything...
I actually thought it's going to be more interesting when five has came, but that feeling was only for 5 minutes or so.
Sep 30, 2014 4:29 AM

Jan 2011
FunnyGames said:
Actually a 7 means good.
Sep 30, 2014 4:41 AM

Oct 2008
In retrospect yes it was quite underwhelming and a lot of thing could have been handheld a lot better :story ,pacing,character and character development wise... And just overall point of terrorists not killing any civilians/innocent bystanders,so that you wont dislike the 2 main protagonist in any way, felt so cookie-cutter ,wishy-washy, just all to safe.

But considering the fact it is a original title not based on any manga/VN ,with a serious tone throughout its entire run-tine (no stupid comedy or petty jokes like you see in most anime nowadays) and that it did try to change the "bad guys playing cat and mouse with the police force" routine (for better or for worse tho) ,like you see in most action/thriller movies which tackle similar stories, it deserves some credit.

Its still the weakest title Watanabe ever directed imho,even worse than Kids On Slope which was also a very underwhelming and clunky romance series.
amateurSep 30, 2014 4:48 AM
Sep 30, 2014 5:00 AM

Dec 2009
From a technical point of view - soundtrack, graphics, direction - Zankyou no Terror was a true masterpiece. Too bad the same does not apply for the characters and the plot.

Out of five main characters, only two - Twelve and Detective Shibazaki - have been decently developed. Five was probably the most noticeable screw-up of the series. She has little to no personality, apart from her desire to capture Nine - a desire that has no reason and that is not clarified to the spectator. Also, Five was merely a tool in the hands of the government, so how could she have so much power? She is also insane, yet everyone let her do as she pleases (almost) until the end. Nine was another huge disappointment. At the start he is presented as the clever and determined one, but something hints that there is more than that in him. Yet, at the end of the series the spectator must agree that there is actually nothing more, that he is just the clever and determined one. He has so the characterization of a second character, what a let-down. Speaking of Lisa, we can agree that she is as needed in the anime as Indiana Jones was in Raiders of the Lost Ark (to quote Sheldon). From the start to the end, she is absolutely useless. She doesn't do ANYTHING valuable, all she is good at is crying. She should not even be considered a main character.

The plot of this anime is no better than its characters, in my opinion. The first episode was magnificent and made my expectations rise, but much to my disappointment the following four episodes were repetitive. They all had the same pattern: Sphinx places the bomb > then posts the riddle online > the police has to solve the riddle > consequences of the police's failure/victory... boring. And another thing I should mention, is that the whole riddle question sounds a bit artificial and exaggerated. Five's arrival didn't help much for the reasons I listed above when talking about her. Episodes nine, ten and eleven were better and worth being watched. Anyway, I think the plot itself should be questioned. There are way too many plot holes. Why does The Sphinx place bombs here and there if its only goal is to make the nation aware of the Athena Project? I could understand if Nine and Twelve were angry at the Japanese and wanted to blow stuff up, but they actually care about people, so why choose that dangerous and tangled way to reach their goal? The perfect example to this is episode five, when Nine has to deactive the bomb himself had placed. Which does not make much sense.

gedata said:
Another problem I had was with the final plan. An EMP nuke would probably kill plenty of people, like those that depend on pacers, or people at hospitals all over Japan, etc. You can't assume that frying the energy grid is a "safe" act of terrorism. The fact that literally no one died was a shitty attempt to whitewash what they had done.[/spoiler]

This also explains well what I'm talking about.
Sep 30, 2014 5:14 AM

Dec 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
FunnyGames said:
Actually a 7 means good.

Not to me. >:(
Sep 30, 2014 5:35 AM
Dec 2011
Five kills anybody she wants ? that's wrong.
she started to make this show lame by playing chess when they can just catch them. stupid.
She had no reason from the beginning. She just killed her self. Even more bad story.
Doesn't matter though cause even without her it still sucked at ep11.
Th eonly good part was the beginning.
Sep 30, 2014 6:49 AM

Apr 2013
Qans said:
Nyron said:
No character development

Ex-fucking-actly. What i've been trying to tell people. The only good thing about this show was the art. I think people like the idea of the show rather than the show itself
And i could say the same about many anime you liked (cg), to each their own buddy
Sep 30, 2014 8:38 AM

Mar 2010
If it wasnt for that ending i would have given 8/10.

Dat ending. I am glad i didnt get to know the characters better, i am GLAD they didnt have a lot of character development.

Why?

Because then i would have died from the inside times more horribly than right now. Because when you know someone very very well and see them end like that it just kills you way more inside than seeing someone you knew die. Get my logic? Get it? Get it!!

No one will be left without punishment. Causing that much trouble to people, making them scared, even that has a price. I could not have seen any other way - to be honest.

Still 9/10 because it was nicely wrapped up and most rational way a show like this could have ended. And when i rewatch this at some point im sure i will find way more elements that i left unnoticed.

Also the Northern Lights were beautiful. It was only few seconds but it was beautiful. Just imagine the things we cannot see because we are living in big cities. Slaves of conveniences..

LylaazSep 30, 2014 8:42 AM
Sep 30, 2014 9:39 AM

May 2010
Lylaaz said:
If it wasnt for that ending i would have given 8/10.

Dat ending. I am glad i didnt get to know the characters better, i am GLAD they didnt have a lot of character development.

Why?

Because then i would have died from the inside times more horribly than right now. Because when you know someone very very well and see them end like that it just kills you way more inside than seeing someone you knew die. Get my logic? Get it? Get it!!

No one will be left without punishment. Causing that much trouble to people, making them scared, even that has a price. I could not have seen any other way - to be honest.

Still 9/10 because it was nicely wrapped up and most rational way a show like this could have ended. And when i rewatch this at some point im sure i will find way more elements that i left unnoticed.

Also the Northern Lights were beautiful. It was only few seconds but it was beautiful. Just imagine the things we cannot see because we are living in big cities. Slaves of conveniences..

The Northern Lights bit was one of the most bullshit parts of the last episode. An atomic bomb goes off and then you can all of the sudden see the northern lights clearly through all the smog from the city and the debris and smoke from the bomb going off? It a dumb pseudo-intellectual comment on "society" and you know it.
Sep 30, 2014 10:50 AM

Apr 2013
Like Tokyo Ghoul of the same season, the best bits were the first and last episode. In between was a bit of a mess and went a tad bit downhill.

Great uh visuals and music tho!

Pretty disappointing show.
Sep 30, 2014 10:55 AM

Dec 2013
SolviteSekai said:
you should seriously just write a review next time. you dont have to make a thread to give your opinion.
If only everyone in Mal did this...
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 30, 2014 1:29 PM

Jul 2008
synd465 said:
Lylaaz said:
Also the Northern Lights were beautiful. It was only few seconds but it was beautiful. Just imagine the things we cannot see because we are living in big cities. Slaves of conveniences.

The Northern Lights bit was one of the most bullshit parts of the last episode. An atomic bomb goes off and then you can all of the sudden see the northern lights clearly through all the smog from the city and the debris and smoke from the bomb going off? It a dumb pseudo-intellectual comment on "society" and you know it.

It wasn't the Northern Lights, it was an artificial aurora. Starfish Prime and other high altitude nuclear explosions have produced them. I was actually surprised to see someone on the show had done their research considering how poorly written and implemented everything else was. High altitude nukes also create a spherical cloud as opposed to the stereotypical mushroom shaped ones; was glad to see this observed in the anime as well. But yeah, it was complete bullshit the skies were basically clear again just moments after the explosion.
ToukaSep 30, 2014 1:37 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Sep 30, 2014 7:03 PM
Sep 2014
It's better than most summer 2014 anime.
Sep 30, 2014 7:51 PM

Dec 2013
Got a problem? Write a review.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2014 8:14 PM

Dec 2012
YouAreNotSugoi said:
Got a problem? Write a review.

No one actually reads those, they just look at the score to justify their own opinion.
Oct 1, 2014 12:28 AM

Mar 2012
nah nig 12 is a hotty thats all that matters haha
Oct 1, 2014 12:31 AM

Jul 2012
Oct 1, 2014 6:08 AM

Nov 2013
Nyron said:
No character development

because it's just one arc. Do you expect it like Narutard?
Nyron said:
Five had no reason to be in the show at all

ftfy
Nyron said:

hm...
So.. you like main characters who has "BECAUSE I HAVE TO PROTECT MY BELOVED FRIENDS!!! >;( " motivation, huh?
Nyron said:

because 'MURICA
Nyron said:

oh, guess what?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_%28anonymity_network%29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8XSmSdvEK4
http://io9.com/5979709/an-aurora-caused-by-an-atomic-bomb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web-based_SSH
http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php
It's just you who is dumb enough.
Nyron said:

look at the previous answer.
Nyron said:

It has.
The failed yet unpublished experiment got the public attention.
The world questioned Japan's government
The Human Rights

Nyron said:

You didn't mention its "Ping Pong" OST level
you didn't mention its cinematography
you didn't mention Yoko Kano
you didn't mention how realistic first four episode is.
your opinion is rejected.

Nyron said:

Script:
Hiroshi Seko (eps 4, 6, 9, 11)
Jun Kumagai (eps 5, 7)
Kenta Ihara (eps 8, 10)
Shōten Yano (eps 1-3)

you should blame Hiroshi Jun Kumagai for trashing this show.
Oct 1, 2014 8:46 AM

Dec 2013
Since when characters with motivation to save their friends are bad?

And I agree that their motivations weren't the strongest ones. I feel like they should have been more traumatized or that show would have shown something more painful in their backstories to make their motivations seem a tiny bit more realistic.

It it had 25 episodes it would have been a fucking masterpiece. But 11 episodes are terribly short.
Oct 1, 2014 8:54 AM

Feb 2014
I'd go as far as to say ZnT was legitimately bad. It doesn't explore any of its themes (they're all relegated to plot devices), its characters are all terrible except for maybe Shibazaki and Twelve, who are still pretty mediocre and flat, and the plot is really just a bunch of threads that are loosely related but never really come together.

Also, lol at that insanely ham-fisted ending. VON LOOK IT'S HOPE WE'RE BEIN DEEP N SYMBOLIC N SHIT GUYS NO SRSLY
Oct 1, 2014 9:22 AM

May 2010
Touka said:
synd465 said:

It wasn't the Northern Lights, it was an artificial aurora. Starfish Prime and other high altitude nuclear explosions have produced them. I was actually surprised to see someone on the show had done their research considering how poorly written and implemented everything else was. High altitude nukes also create a spherical cloud as opposed to the stereotypical mushroom shaped ones; was glad to see this observed in the anime as well. But yeah, it was complete bullshit the skies were basically clear again just moments after the explosion.

Oh, fair enough. I did not know about that phenomena so thanks for the info.
Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM

Sep 2013
Well said, I completely agree with OP.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2014

448 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 5, 2014

422 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

379 by zerodths »»
Apr 5, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2014

412 by zerodths »»
Apr 5, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

864 by sadsaggyballs »»
Mar 26, 10:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.