Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 26, 2014 11:55 PM

Jun 2011
kiDnameDSkia said:

crazyruffian said:
It is quite possible that Kyros (or Toy Soldier) was a member of Roger's crew. According to Rebecca in Chapter 704, the statue was made of BRONZE.

So..
GOL D. Roger
SILVER Rayleigh
BRONZE Kyros
sCOPPER Gaban

Except it doesn't follow the pattern where the metal is in the name of the character... Kyros isn't called Bronze, he just had a bronze statuse made

Basically this. ^.

HalibelTheEspada said:

Minagatachi said:
I don't get why people complain about Usopp. Straw Hats rarely get any character development outside of their introduction arcs (they don't really need it), I don't get why you'd expect Usopp to be any different when all the other characters are essentially the exact same as when they were introduced. I think Usopp is fine the way he is, and if you are annoyed by him then you will always be; he isn't going to change. Honestly, if you've been following One Piece for this long then it is a bit late to be complaining. It's the same thing when people complain about Fairy Tail for having nakama power and then continue reading it.
I agree, Usopp's perfectly fine the way he is. And I mean, his dream is to become a "great man of the sea", so I wouldn't expect him to be some brave and fearless manly man until the end of the series, if then. His cowardice and trickery/deceptive tactics are just part of who he is... I have a hard time imagining him any other way. Maybe one day he can be like his friend Sogeking.

Someone once said this, I forgot who, and this is not the exact quote, but to be brave you must first be scared, you cannot be brave if you're fearless. This is why Luffy for most of the time isn't brave, same goes for Zoro and Sanji.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 27, 2014 2:24 AM
Dec 2010
Yeah, we don't know Kyros' first name, or if he really has one. But it has been highlighted in chapters 704 and 739 that it is made of BRONZE, Oda specified that one, and I think that's an important detail. Because we would just assume that it is made of an ordinary stone otherwise. It might be a clue. Haha. Roger weren't usually called Gol/Gold, Rayleigh weren't called Silver. So it is possible that Oda is still hiding the fact that Kyros' other name is Bronze

It would also be cool if Kyros (father) and Rebecca (daughter) are both members of the crew of two Pirate Kings, Roger and Luffy.

Maybe, after Roger died, Kyros went to Dressrosa and became a gladiator. That explains why he was so strong, because he was a Roger's nakama.
crazyruffianFeb 27, 2014 2:28 AM
Feb 27, 2014 5:29 AM
Jul 2018
HalibelTheEspada said:
Minagatachi said:
I don't get why people complain about Usopp. Straw Hats rarely get any character development outside of their introduction arcs (they don't really need it), I don't get why you'd expect Usopp to be any different when all the other characters are essentially the exact same as when they were introduced. I think Usopp is fine the way he is, and if you are annoyed by him then you will always be; he isn't going to change. Honestly, if you've been following One Piece for this long then it is a bit late to be complaining. It's the same thing when people complain about Fairy Tail for having nakama power and then continue reading it.
I agree, Usopp's perfectly fine the way he is. And I mean, his dream is to become a "great man of the sea", so I wouldn't expect him to be some brave and fearless manly man until the end of the series, if then. His cowardice and trickery/deceptive tactics are just part of who he is... I have a hard time imagining him any other way. Maybe one day he can be like his friend Sogeking.
The problem isn't that he hasn't become 100% badass, that's to be expected at this point in the series. He seems to have regressed though, he was coming along nicely during CP9 and TB but none of that seems to be reflected in his post time skip personality.

That being said having to read this over the course of a month as opposed to all at once definitely makes it more frustrating. I never had a problem with him pre-time skip so a mixture of both probably play into why he's rubbing me the wrong way now, personally. Doesn't help that I have a hard time looking forward to his fights now because his trick fighting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pop green. I really hope he falls back on it once shit gets real.

Feb 27, 2014 7:29 AM

Jun 2013
I really think most chapters this year so far have been quite weak. The end of last year was so epic, but since then everything is setup and it´s progressing soooo slowly.
Feb 27, 2014 7:37 AM

Nov 2010
crazyruffian said:
Yeah, we don't know Kyros' first name, or if he really has one. But it has been highlighted in chapters 704 and 739 that it is made of BRONZE, Oda specified that one, and I think that's an important detail. Because we would just assume that it is made of an ordinary stone otherwise. It might be a clue. Haha. Roger weren't usually called Gol/Gold, Rayleigh weren't called Silver. So it is possible that Oda is still hiding the fact that Kyros' other name is Bronze

It would also be cool if Kyros (father) and Rebecca (daughter) are both members of the crew of two Pirate Kings, Roger and Luffy.

Maybe, after Roger died, Kyros went to Dressrosa and became a gladiator. That explains why he was so strong, because he was a Roger's nakama.

Yes, Oda highlighted the fact, that the statue is made out of bronze, for a reason. But that reason has nothing to do with Roger.

After Skypiea arc, when Strawhats had a huge amount of gold at their disposal, Luffy wanted to buy himself a bronze statue. It was a joke based on spending the gold for much cheaper bronze. But the joke comes into fruition in this arc, that is why Oda emphasizes the fact that the statue is BRONZE.
Feb 27, 2014 7:45 AM

Jun 2011
jpem said:
HalibelTheEspada said:
Minagatachi said:
The problem isn't that he hasn't become 100% badass, that's to be expected at this point in the series. He seems to have regressed though, he was coming along nicely during CP9 and TB but none of that seems to be reflected in his post time skip personality.

That being said having to read this over the course of a month as opposed to all at once definitely makes it more frustrating. I never had a problem with him pre-time skip so a mixture of both probably play into why he's rubbing me the wrong way now, personally. Doesn't help that I have a hard time looking forward to his fights now because his trick fighting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pop green. I really hope he falls back on it once shit gets real.

I do think the Soge King persona has a part in Usopp's personality. And now that he abandoned Soge King, maybe he'll need another push to bravery without relying on that persona. Or maybe we'll get to see Soge King again? Either way is fine with me.

Feb 27, 2014 12:28 PM

Dec 2013
A good thing about this chapter is that I think Usopp will finally have to step up soon. I know making him look like a coward is to make him look like a bad ass after he steps up, but it’s been pretty bad up until now. I mean it’s alright for him to be afraid and complain a little bit, that is who is character is after all, but this arc has been ridiculous. He has always complained but it seems like it has been nonstop since they got to Dressrosa. I’m pretty sure every single chapter he’s been in since they got to Dressrosa he’s said something cowardly. Also he said many times that he wants to just run away and leave the dwarfs, which is being more than just cowardly. I know Usopp wouldn’t actually do that but I think Oda is overdoing it a little with make him look like that much of a wimp. Most fodder have more balls than he’s been showing. That being said, I think he actually will step up very soon and hopefully fight Trebol 1 on 1. Trebols obviously stronger than him, but it would be really cool if Usopp somehow pulled off a win against him. It would probably give him more confidence and show that he is ready for the new world.

Also I was surprised Usopp asked why Leo would trust in his captain so much. If anyone knows what it’s like to put all of your trust in your captain, it’s the Strawhat pirates. Leo’s answer is probably what will make him realize that and motivate him to join the battle.
WillOfDeezNutsFeb 27, 2014 12:45 PM
Feb 27, 2014 2:11 PM

Jun 2012
^ Well I'm not trying to start a debate about it or anything, but can you think of a single time where Usopp didn't complain constantly throughout the arc? To be honest, it's not even purely about cowardice. It was established a long time ago that Usopp and Nami are the "sane" and "normal" members of the crew. It's simply that the rest of the crew is a bunch of monsters, except for maybe Brook. Usopp just has more of a consideration for his life than most people. What matters is that he's there when it counts. He's always been the underdog in the crew, and he only pulls through in the last second whenever he's needed... that's just how he is.

They need people like him and Nami in the crew, just so they can at least do somewhat level-headed things occasionally. Usopp is their sniper, meaning long ranged shooter, meaning he has no need/use to be a part of their already huge front-line team. He fights from afar, therefore getting up close an personal would not suit him at all.

I'm not trying to convince you to like him, because like Minagatachi said if you are annoyed by him, you simply just don't like his character, which is something no one can really change. I just can't see the point in complaining about something like that this late in the game.

Zoro will always be the tough-guy who never lets his emotions show, Sanji will always be the ladies' man who wouldn't hurt a woman and him and Zoro will always get into fights, Chopper will always be the gullible child who is shy to praise, Nami will always be the money-obsessed level-headed boss of the crew, Robin will always be the calm and poised woman with neverending scary/pessimistic predictions, Franky will always be the pervert who surprises everyone with his wacky inventions, Brook will always be the jester who never quits laughing and who constantly asks girls for permission to view their undergarments, and Luffy will always be the headstrong captain who never puts a single thought into anything and just follows his animal instincts, trusting anyone and everyone even if they're trying to kill him (like a dwarf).

Therefore, Usopp's always gonna be the first one to run at the sight of trouble, who doesn't know how to tell the truth, and never fights unless he absolutely has to; only occasionally putting in a shot to save one of his friends in trouble and then running like hell.

Regarding your question about Usopp talking to Leo, I'm just guessing but, it's probably more that he can't understand why they put so much trust into a toy who they can't even remember. And, after all the dwarves do seem to be extremely gullible.
HalibelTheEspadaFeb 27, 2014 2:19 PM
Feb 27, 2014 5:27 PM

Dec 2013
^ There’s really nothing that you said that I disagree with too much and I never said I didn’t like his character, but it just seems a little disappointing compared to usual in this arc. I know he has always been scared and that’s who he is but recently it seems like he took it to another level. Ever since the time skip he has still he the same but he did gain more courage. Especially after the fishman island arc it seemed like he was more willing to fight, even though I admit that competition was nothing compared to what he’s facing now. But a big thing is he has been telling the dwarfs the whole time that he would have their back while secretly thinking about how he is going to run away when they get into trouble. Although I guess it does show some courage that he even went down there to begin with and he will also probably step up very soon which I am looking forward to. But so far this arc I feel like Oda is just overdoing it with making him look like that much of a wimp. I also think he’s making him look like a wimp to surprise everybody when he actually does something big, but in my opinion it has just been a little too much. That’s why I’m glad that it seems like he is going to step up now.
Feb 27, 2014 5:45 PM

Jun 2012
Well, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was only targeting you, the not liking his character bit was actually supposed to be more directed at those who were complaining that his attitude hasn't changed. I'm not saying I agree with his methods, but personally I think the reason this time around seems worse than usual is because we're actually getting to see more of his thoughts than normal... which is probably for a reason.

Normally I think we're lead to believe he's actually about to do something epic (because we don't know what's going through his mind), and then he just runs away lol. But this time it seems like we're being lead to believe he's just going to abandon them, but then he'll probably turn it around (like you said) and just sigh and say something like "Fine... I didn't want to have to do this... but I guess I'll show you my real strength now. I can't let you be humiliated by these weaklings!" or something along those lines, and then if he starts to lose he'll probably say he's not using his full power yet.
Feb 28, 2014 11:41 AM

Nov 2013
What's the big deal about Soldier being Kyros? Didn't we know that all along?
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Feb 28, 2014 11:48 AM

Jan 2014
Boring chapter, imo.
Feb 28, 2014 4:29 PM

Aug 2013
Yay go Kyros! Next chapter would probably be very good too!
[/quote]
Feb 28, 2014 10:16 PM

Jun 2012
pkKodama said:
What's the big deal about Soldier being Kyros? Didn't we know that all along?
Nah, it wasn't revealed that he was Kyros until this chapter. All we knew for sure, before this chapter, was that he's Rebecca's father and the son-in-law of the king.
Mar 2, 2014 8:17 AM

Jun 2012
HalibelTheEspada said:
^ Well I'm not trying to start a debate about it or anything, but can you think of a single time where Usopp didn't complain constantly throughout the arc? To be honest, it's not even purely about cowardice. It was established a long time ago that Usopp and Nami are the "sane" and "normal" members of the crew. It's simply that the rest of the crew is a bunch of monsters, except for maybe Brook. Usopp just has more of a consideration for his life than most people. What matters is that he's there when it counts. He's always been the underdog in the crew, and he only pulls through in the last second whenever he's needed... that's just how he is.

They need people like him and Nami in the crew, just so they can at least do somewhat level-headed things occasionally. Usopp is their sniper, meaning long ranged shooter, meaning he has no need/use to be a part of their already huge front-line team. He fights from afar, therefore getting up close an personal would not suit him at all.

I'm not trying to convince you to like him, because like Minagatachi said if you are annoyed by him, you simply just don't like his character, which is something no one can really change. I just can't see the point in complaining about something like that this late in the game.

Zoro will always be the tough-guy who never lets his emotions show, Sanji will always be the ladies' man who wouldn't hurt a woman and him and Zoro will always get into fights, Chopper will always be the gullible child who is shy to praise, Nami will always be the money-obsessed level-headed boss of the crew, Robin will always be the calm and poised woman with neverending scary/pessimistic predictions, Franky will always be the pervert who surprises everyone with his wacky inventions, Brook will always be the jester who never quits laughing and who constantly asks girls for permission to view their undergarments, and Luffy will always be the headstrong captain who never puts a single thought into anything and just follows his animal instincts, trusting anyone and everyone even if they're trying to kill him (like a dwarf).

Therefore, Usopp's always gonna be the first one to run at the sight of trouble, who doesn't know how to tell the truth, and never fights unless he absolutely has to; only occasionally putting in a shot to save one of his friends in trouble and then running like hell.

Regarding your question about Usopp talking to Leo, I'm just guessing but, it's probably more that he can't understand why they put so much trust into a toy who they can't even remember. And, after all the dwarves do seem to be extremely gullible.

I agree with all of that, besides usopp. Usopps dream is to become a brave warrior of the sea, so i see him as the only one who can change in that way. I doubt he'[ll ever be very powerful though.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Mar 4, 2014 8:53 AM

Dec 2013
HalibelTheEspada said:
I'm not saying I agree with his methods, but personally I think the reason this time around seems worse than usual is because we're actually getting to see more of his thoughts than normal... which is probably for a reason.

That is a good point I didn’t really notice that before you said it. We don’t usually get this much of his thoughts so that is probably why he is coming off more wimpy than usual. But yea it probably is for a reason too. Like I said in another post the reason is probably so the readers are impressed when he steps up big.
Jun 30, 2014 8:56 AM

Jan 2014
Yep. Called it from a mile away.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2015 10:37 PM

Aug 2012
Well, it turns out my decision to stop reading weekly and wait for the Dressrosa arc to finish was a big mistake considering just how long it's been taking for the arc to reach it's conclusion. & since I didn't feel like reading nearly forty chapters again, I'm a little confused, having forgotten quite a bit. Still, I followed the chapter okay & it was okay. The Kyros reveal was nice.
May 15, 2018 4:00 PM

Feb 2013
Someone has to kick Diamante's ass.
Sep 7, 2022 5:25 AM

Mar 2021
That cover page of Brook holding Laboon baloons is so cute ;__;

Soldier Toy keeps getting new aliases lol. So he was Kyros all along...

Oct 30, 2022 12:23 PM

May 2021
Will Sniper King finally emerge? Find out in the ne-

Apr 25, 2023 6:06 PM

Dec 2022
HOLY CRAP HE’S KYROS!
May 31, 2023 7:19 AM

Jun 2017
When Mr. Soldier goes back to his original self, will he turn to be a one-legged man? I hope he doesn't.

I'm not worried about Rebecca if Luffy's there.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jan 20, 6:44 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Soldier-san was Kyros, cool!!!
kekeke
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How many for elbaf people?

sailorsaturn01 - Sep 18

8 by Madada3913 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1098 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Mei-o_Scarlett - Nov 7, 2023

117 by Frosty »»
Yesterday, 1:43 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 623 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kevin_video - Apr 30, 2011

50 by Sky_Chicken »»
Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 621 Discussion

smokes - Apr 13, 2011

40 by Sky_Chicken »»
Yesterday, 12:13 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1127 Discussion

FMmatron - Sep 17

2 by wallus81 »»
Sep 18, 9:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.