Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Oct 28, 2012 11:13 PM

May 2010
Great episode, i didnt think this were gonna get this good for a while

ALSO NIPPOPOLIS!
Oct 28, 2012 11:39 PM

Apr 2012
The quality for this episode did drop, and I felt a bit confused at times. Some scenes don't transition well, or seemed all over the place. Not to mention the Saki yelling, without opening her mouth. It made it a annoying to watch, I hope they return to the usual next episode.
Oct 29, 2012 12:54 AM

Sep 2012
Zeally said:

I don't think Saki hates Satoru because they hang out with each other and have known each other for quite a while but the anime indicates more of a friend zone between the two. You always see her blushing when they tease her about him and the feelings seem mutual. The only real explanation of this spontaneous sexual encounter is they become horn dogs when in a state of anxiety or stress because they have monkey instincts lol.

I guess you can stick with your interpretation based on the material in the anime alone. I just want to stress that in the novel even a friend zone couples will engage in casual sex without a particularly stressful situation because the society and the culture is permissive. It is not just a genetic thing.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 29, 2012 1:13 AM

Sep 2012
About the animation and direction quality of this episode...

I agree with allflying that CONSISTENCY is a bigger issue than the quality, which means EVEN if some of you like the art style in this episode, the fact that it is so inconsistent with the first 4 episodes is a problem. That said, to me even disregarding the consistency, the animation/sakuga and episode direction is really not as good compared to what we've seen so far.
allflying said:
the problem is, again, because of inconsistencies with the art style and episode directing. Also, layout was plain bad if you actually watched the entire show. There is no GRIT or whatever shown trough character interactions or facial expression. And again, direction was pretty bad, the timing of each scene were messed up.

On the other hand, I also agree with totoum that it is not just the issue of episode director and animator, but the director has to share the responsibility too. To me, I find this episode harder to bear than the TTGL episode because TTGL as a hotblooded shounen fare with comedy mixed (even the character design seems to be done for comedy purpose) means that a shift of art style can look less jarring (sometimes even more refreshing) than expected. It does not really work here, particularly not in the middle of an arc.
totoum said:
There is no ego trip going on here,the episode director was asked by the director of the show to do things his way and ignore continuity in style with other episodes.So if you've got issues take it up to the director for wanting a different style for this episode,the episode director just did what he was asked to.
symbvOct 29, 2012 3:19 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 29, 2012 3:59 AM

Aug 2010
Bad visuals, girl suddenly wants a dicking...things aren't looking good.

I hope they will explore the implications of certain things and not just throw it in for the shock effect. I want substance. 3/5.
Oct 29, 2012 4:45 AM

Oct 2008
Doesn't seem like many people liked this episode.
Oh well. I loved it! Then again, I think Satoru is really cute with Saki. X3
Nothing bad better happen to him in the next episode. >:I
Oct 29, 2012 6:31 AM

Aug 2009
Such a disappointment compared to the amazing fourth episode...
Oct 29, 2012 7:48 AM

Oct 2007
AirStyles said:
Now they just turn out to be idiots who can't even concentrate on their job...

I'm failing to understand how you reach this conclusion from that quote
all for fun.fun for all
Oct 29, 2012 7:52 AM

Sep 2012
totoum said:
AirStyles said:

I am definitely NOT A FAN of AirStyles' wording (keep it down, man, AirStyles)
But my guess is that the chief animator and director is supposed to ensure consistency of the animation/sakuga and episode direction but yet we have this episode that looks so different from the rest (so far).

Oct 29, 2012 8:18 AM

May 2007
walk said:
... is it just me or does the art style look different
all the characters look slightly older and taller

I felt the same too actually, And honestly this really felt different from the previous episodes.
Oct 29, 2012 8:41 AM

Jun 2009
symbv said:
totoum said:
AirStyles said:

I am definitely NOT A FAN of AirStyles' wording (keep it down, man, AirStyles)
But my guess is that the chief animator and director is supposed to ensure consistency of the animation/sakuga and episode direction but yet we have this episode that looks so different from the rest (so far).

Yeah. I tend to write things sarcastically. However, my opinion remain the same, I do not want directors screwing around with a show. Especially if it's a show I really likes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2012 9:49 AM

Oct 2007
symbv said:

That I can understand,and as much as I like the chara design,especialy because of the longer noses and a bit more lips,they're really so different from the original that it's confusing.

Yamauchi's directed episodes before without causing so much uproar mainly because even if he brought his style to the episode the show itself was already closer to his style to begin with so it didn't stick out so much,mawaru penguindrum 18 is an example of that,there was a certain art shift but not as drastic as here and the episode was quite well recieved.
all for fun.fun for all
Oct 29, 2012 10:33 AM

Feb 2012
Episodes 4 and 5 were kickass,I have high hopes now :)
Oct 29, 2012 11:04 AM

Dec 2010
Now that is what I'd call a prime example of complete disregard for aesthetic unity. Whoever was creatively in charge of that episode needs to be (proverbially) taken out and shot.
Oct 29, 2012 11:08 AM

Apr 2010
Saki is starting to realise that what the library told her was the truth that the sexual desires where altered and so did there feelings to hurt others in order to create the perfect society.
And she even refused those feelings because she realised that.
The Querats seem that have a similar society to that of ants and bees one queen which probably is the only female in there nest and the rest male working for her.
Seems there invader is a pretty aggressive tribe and it's surprising that it isn't discovered yet by other humans and taken care if.

I also wonder what happened to the rest of the group did they make it out are they still alive will they meet again or are they in a similar situation to that of Saki and Satoru.
Oct 29, 2012 11:22 AM

Sep 2012
Aversa said:
Saki is starting to realise that what the library told her was the truth that the sexual desires where altered and so did there feelings to hurt others in order to create the perfect society.
And she even refused those feelings because she realised that.

Only in the anime.

Oct 29, 2012 2:11 PM

Mar 2009
Awful, just awful. I could barely recognize the characters sometimes. And the direction was just so disjointed. I was really enjoying this up to now, it was certainly one of the best this season, but now it's gone way down in my estimation. This is even worse than episode 4 of Gurren Lagann, and that was bad enough.
Oct 29, 2012 3:13 PM

Feb 2012
While i liked the episode, i cant say im a fan of how much the style changed and the direction the director went as far as camera angels and certain scenes. Quality really dropped this episode, and while that didnt really bother me at first, some scenes were so obviously inconsistent it was a little weird to watch. I did enjoy it overall and was pretty pissed when i realized it ended.

Also, woah at Saki ad Sentarou's near sex scene. Now they're in real trouble judging from the preview.
VyudaliOct 29, 2012 3:17 PM
Oct 29, 2012 4:44 PM

Sep 2012
Uggh, this episode. Thank god for the preview.
Oct 29, 2012 7:54 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Great episode discussion. I wish the rest of MAL could be more similar to this thread. Props to symbv for explaining a lot of stuff from the novel.

I'm definitely in agreement in that it's not that I didn't like the animation, it's just that the sudden change in consistency is hard to accept.
p r o f i l e 👀
Oct 29, 2012 8:54 PM
Feb 2010
dont care about whatever art style it uses as long as it is consistent
please dont do a minami-ke
Oct 29, 2012 9:13 PM

Jan 2012
What all just happened? O.o

Oct 30, 2012 1:39 AM

Sep 2011
this is such a wtf episode.
i was expecting something positive from the change in art style from preview at the end of ep 4, but...

whole first half of it (and pretty much most of the episode) -- awkward camera work and facial expressions, and the timing transition is just....meh.
the art style really reminds me of Mawaru Penguindrum, hence the episode director (he did some Penguindrum episode)

and using the "hints" in ep 4, how the genetic did this stuff, seriously? i mean the episode's focus is somehow Satoru-Saki relationship and i don't support sudden Satoru-Saki relationship .___.
and i got tired of Satoru's protecting Saki by rolling down the floor and such lol
the 2nd half got back on track of the whole thing but the first half just ruined it.......
Oct 30, 2012 11:09 AM

Mar 2008
Terrible episode.

Sure, inconsistent art is something that gets in the way and the animation wasn't top notch.

But the main problem was the terrible directing. I mean, it's not only rushed, it's truncated. It's like they chopped off many scenes. It gets in the way of understanding what's happening. I mean, I hadt to check last ep to see if I missed something since at the 1st scene is already a total mess. And that keeps happening the entire episode. I mean, I got that the monk died, even though I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't because of the crappy scene, but I'd never guess handjob + blowjob. Oh, it's censored. Ok, but they could've done a better job of showing they did indeed had some kind of sex without being explicit. The scene where they separate was also a total mess...

Art style is a choice. But bad direction isn't. And the weird smiles didn't help either.
Oct 30, 2012 2:00 PM

Feb 2012
I don't have time to read all 17 pages, but imo, whether the art and animation quality drop was by accident or on purpose, I interpret it as the characters being in a new, unfamiliar setting.

The backgrounds were lacking details and intricacies because of how fast the pacing was and how new the setting was to the characters. The jumps in scenes seemed to mimic the stress/anxiety and shock that Satoru and Saki were experiencing.

That's my personal interpretation at least, regardless of the actual reason why the art and animation was shit.
Oct 30, 2012 2:31 PM

Apr 2010
I actually preferred the art style used in this episode however, that being said, the actual animation was terribly inconsistent.
Also, there were many other issues such as the confusion that was produced regarding whether or not the monk had died, which made this episode somewhat worse than those that came before it.
Oct 30, 2012 3:44 PM
Oct 2009
next episode fucking when. don't care for the art style and direction of the episode but that's ok.

at any rate i am an absolute sucker for speculative sci-fi works in any media. i need more!
Oct 30, 2012 7:31 PM

Sep 2009
Marow said:
I don't mind the style, although it looked rather off at times.

What I do mind is the fact that the story just took a turn for the weird.
I haven't watched the episode yet, but I fear I will feel the same as you.
Oct 30, 2012 8:41 PM

Sep 2012
I like this art style more, TBH.
Oct 30, 2012 8:53 PM

Nov 2011
Ok seriously the animation of this episode makes me want to vomit. And the plot seriously is so jacked and confusing at the moment. Those 2 were about to screw each other's brains out....and the random rat people wtf.
Oct 30, 2012 9:30 PM

Mar 2010
What the hell was that star thing they stabbed at the end of the episode. I MUST KNOWWWWWWWWW~
Oct 30, 2012 10:03 PM

Sep 2012
baracudaboy said:
What the hell was that star thing they stabbed at the end of the episode. I MUST KNOWWWWWWWWW~

I can explain how it goes in the novel, but seeing quite a bit has been changed in the anime for Saki and Satoru's escape I am no longer sure it will happen as in the novel.

Oct 31, 2012 4:38 AM

Mar 2009
symbv said:
baracudaboy said:

I can explain how it goes in the novel, but seeing quite a bit has been changed in the anime for Saki and Satoru's escape I am no longer sure it will happen as in the novel.

Isn't it
Oct 31, 2012 4:39 AM
Oct 2009
My head is full of f*** right now, this episode made no sense, and I am sure everyone already commented on the animation and art, I hope they turn it around, or did they blow their budget on the first 4 episode?
Oct 31, 2012 4:43 AM

Sep 2012
Shoujo_Q said:
symbv said:
baracudaboy said:

Isn't it

Yeah....OK, let me elaborate
symbvOct 31, 2012 8:50 AM

Oct 31, 2012 5:15 PM

May 2011
This was the weirdest episode I've ever seen. I'll agree tho... the Animation was weird. Midway between Casshern Sins and Mawaru Penguindrum, I liked the previous 'style' better. It was kind of 'unique' in it's own way.

I'm starting to wonder how they are going to explain the sudden care of Satoru toward Saki. I get it that's it is their way to 'avoid' the Stress and the complication coming with it. The 'almost' sexual scene was out of place but, when you think about it... No it wasn't. You just have to listen to the Story and really get in their world (I'll admit this episode wasn't really letting you it was a mess) What is bugging me however... is Why would ask herself about what she's about to do with Satoru when she doesn't know anything else. It's 'Normal' for her and part of their lives. I felt like she was asking herself if she should be doing this when... It should still be normal for her even after what the rainbow monster thing said.
However, back on Satoru... let's be realist, Satoru doesn't 'love' Saki so... maybe they should refrain from showing him being all 'Gentleman' holding her and everything. It's giving the wrong idea... Knowing who he actually likes, lol...

oh well, the whole episode was a mess anyway. It was giving me a hard time following the story and what was happening. The sex scene was confusing a little at first but the ending...

I watched and re-watched and no... I didn't get what happened at all when they found the 'star' thing on the ceiling and the white liquid he got on his spear after stabbing the ceiling... Nope. I didn't get a thing at all! Next episode I will maybe ? lol

If anyone can explain that part to me, go ahead =P
Oct 31, 2012 5:26 PM
Sep 2011
Bouum said:

However, back on Satoru... let's be realist, Satoru doesn't 'love' Saki so... maybe they should refrain from showing him being all 'Gentleman' holding her and everything. It's giving the wrong idea... Knowing who he actually likes, lol...

You know. You can love more than just ONE person.

Oct 31, 2012 6:20 PM

May 2011
deave112 said:

Lol I know but, that's irrelevant to what I'm trying to say. He's not attracted to Saki the same way. Felt like they had a 'friend' relationship more than a loving one so far. Different than the feeling I get from her relationship with Shun but... now, It's all messed up almost as if Satoru's relationship with her became more of a loving one at times and then came back to the old one the moment after. (I'm not talking about the Stress Relieving Scene here I don't think that scene had nothing to do with that kind of love) Maybe that's just me thinking he's protecting her too much too lol
The thing is... even if the anime is mostly following Saki... so far, the other didn't seem like they were close at all. I can see the friendship with Saki and everyone else. Maria too and a little of Mamoru but Satoru and Shun are... complete mystery. We didn't really saw them talk together either. They don't seem close at all so far.

It's like the whole turn of event are trying to making me believe there's something going on between Saki and Satoru when there's not and it's not only this episode. We barely saw her relationship with Shun because she keeps having scene talking to Satoru. It's like they are trying to make us think they have some kind of special relation and then... Bam! ''Nope! You didn't saw it coming eh but this character actually likes this other character!'' lol

I just wish the real relation between all the character all get in place slowly and don't get thrown suddenly and end up feeling out of place!
Oct 31, 2012 6:41 PM

Jul 2012
The animation was eh.. The first thing I noticed, but it was a pretty good episode though.
Oct 31, 2012 6:47 PM
Sep 2012
Alright anyone wanna tell me wtf the scene between saki and satorou is about? Jeez what have they done to these kids. Also this episode went over my head and I didn't even understand much of it, guess I gotta watch it again lol.
Oct 31, 2012 6:51 PM
Sep 2011
Bouum said:
deave112 said:

Lol I know but, that's irrelevant to what I'm trying to say. He's not attracted to Saki the same way. Felt like they had a 'friend' relationship more than a loving one so far. Different than the feeling I get from her relationship with Shun but... now, It's all messed up almost as if Satoru's relationship with her became more of a loving one at times and then came back to the old one the moment after. (I'm not talking about the Stress Relieving Scene here I don't think that scene had nothing to do with that kind of love) Maybe that's just me thinking he's protecting her too much too lol
The thing is... even if the anime is mostly following Saki... so far, the other didn't seem like they were close at all. I can see the friendship with Saki and everyone else. Maria too and a little of Mamoru but Satoru and Shun are... complete mystery. We didn't really saw them talk together either. They don't seem close at all so far.

It's like the whole turn of event are trying to making me believe there's something going on between Saki and Satoru when there's not and it's not only this episode. We barely saw her relationship with Shun because she keeps having scene talking to Satoru. It's like they are trying to make us think they have some kind of special relation and then... Bam! ''Nope! You didn't saw it coming eh but this character actually likes this other character!'' lol

I just wish the real relation between all the character all get in place slowly and don't get thrown suddenly and end up feeling out of place!

LOL!

Oct 31, 2012 7:32 PM

Aug 2011
The animation was kinda experimental... but I loved it o_o ...am I the only one? ._./

Edit: tehIsther?? http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=326
NatodayoOct 31, 2012 7:49 PM
Oct 31, 2012 9:12 PM

Sep 2012
xtremexx said:
Alright anyone wanna tell me wtf the scene between saki and satorou is about? Jeez what have they done to these kids. Also this episode went over my head and I didn't even understand much of it, guess I gotta watch it again lol.

I wrote several posts about what happened in this episode. They may have the answer you are seeking:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=140#msg18006707
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=200#msg18010031
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=240#msg18016211

By the way, I am checking more reactions from Japan fans because many regions do not get to see the anime until yesterday due to local TV schedule differences. Basically:
- Since they already knew about the sakuga/animation issue, they were relieved to find it was not like their worst fear

- Many also found the characters look older and more mature, and some think it fits the situation better, though opinion is divided as to which style they prefer

- Consensus that it is no good that consistency of sakuga has been lost in this episode. Opinion is divided as to whether this alone can be called "bad sakuga". But scenes like talking without mouth moving is definitely considered problematic.

- Many people do not like the frequent close-up. They think it is particularly unsuitable to a story like Shinsekai Yori because it can make the story even less easy to follow.

- Everyone thinks the direction is problematic.

- Most agree it is not a good idea to allow episode director and animation director to go too far on personal style at the expense of the overall standard in the series.

Nov 1, 2012 4:33 AM

Jul 2010
Did something happen to Satoru or something? He's no long the annoying idiot and he looks a lot cooler now. For some reason they all do. It looks like the art is a little different. And I thought Saki liked Shun and not him?

Well, that queen is a looker isn't she? This show is pretty weird. I have no idea where it is going, but I'm still fascinated by it.

Nov 1, 2012 1:25 PM

Apr 2011
The animation was weird for a second. Satoru finally has some swag to him this episode. The scene between him and Saki seem so weird it looked they were getting close to making out with each other. And that gooey stuff on the sword looked weird, can't wait until the next episode.
Nov 1, 2012 2:28 PM

Dec 2010
wow, reading the comments here, I feel like I've watched a completely different anime O_O
I didn't notice naything really bad with the animation
the rest (facial expressions, etc...) looked just as "weird" as in the eps before
and everything was perfectly understandable to me, especially compared to the first eps
Nov 1, 2012 2:46 PM
Dec 2011
I actually liked the grownup feeling for the characters in this episode.Not just the way Satoru acted,but the way he and Saki was drawn too.
That being said,the art looked worse than previous episodes indeed,and the animation had some crappy timing at some scenes,the worst being Satoru and Saki falling as I can recall.
Another thing that caught my eye was the explosion scene of the Baloon Dog looked a lot different than in the trailer...The trailer version had more impact.
TTGL episode 4 comes to mind.
Other than these,I think the story flow is a bit seamy as well.Things happen a bit random,it's rather hard to link one event to other.
Nov 1, 2012 6:31 PM

Apr 2012
The surreal and abstract art style and direction of this episode reminded me of Texhnolyze. After the explosion and the monk dying, the older character designs worked for me. The kids are not children anymore after experiencing the revelation with the bio-computer and witnessing the death of so many humanoids. Having a surreal art style reflected the panic and constant action that pumped through the veins of this episode.
Regarding the intimate scene, I was disappointed that Saki rejected it so soon. It ruined the build-up before anything conclusion could be reached.
After killing at least four rats, Satoru doesn't seem to be succumbing to the gene-punishment; though the killing may be the crimes that Saki is speaking of. Though, when he took that cut to the head it was reminiscent of something I would think of seeing in Heart of Darkness. I wish the show kept it up.
Watching:
Shinsekai Yori, Robotics;Notes, Psycho-Pass, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Sasami-san@Gambaranai
Nov 1, 2012 9:13 PM

Oct 2011
Am I the only one who finds this show to be hallarious X'D
Nov 2, 2012 6:41 AM
Nov 2012
Guess im crazy because i thought the animation was great...
Pages (11) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2012

280 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.