Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2017 7:28 PM

Apr 2013
tf kinda overly happy ending is this shit wtf. im tearing up fuck this show
What are you looking here for
Jul 4, 2017 9:10 PM
Jun 2017
Vanschia said:
Tsuki ga Kirei: After Story when?

You gave me some Clannad AS flashbacks...

Amazing anime in many aspects, not only relying on suspense but the actual processes on what happens. Will be great for rewatching. Brought back a lot of memories from first love experiences in my life, the excitement and uncertainty. Cute and sweet. Awesome OST and insert songs that were used perfectly. Loved the art style too, very pleasant to look at.

There would be a lot of more story to tell about: their high school lives, the long distance relationship, and the process of maturing and getting married. Things during the time skip definitely didn't go smoothly (that's just how life is), and it would make a great story. Feel would really have the ability to do it properly. Even if we know the ending, this series already showed that the outcome is not everything, but the whole process and experience is.
Jul 4, 2017 9:45 PM

May 2014
Holy fuck, Chinatsu is such an ever-loving cunt. Honest to fucking god, how many times does she have to make it clear she'd steal Kotarou if he'd let her? The entire time she was confessing to him I was just rolling my eyes at the bitch.

And then Kotarou just stands there with a stupid look on his face as he let's Akane run off crying alone. No, that was not a situation where "it's better they have some time alone to let it out", fuck that. He should have been right there behind her to explain his perspective and that going lengths for her is worth it.

Sure, Chinatsu is the one that showed Akane the story he was writing, but that could have been done by any other character and was not in any way some sort of redeeming quality to Chinatsu. Akane basically had to say she would stay friends with Chinatsu because we know damn well if she said 'no', Chinatsu would have turned full throttle revenge-mode and done whatever she could to take advantage of the long distance relationship to try and steal Kotarou.

Then at the end with Akane reading his "true" confession and not even noticing him having run to her. (Not that she had a reason to somehow notice him, but they could have written it in for the romantic appeal of it all.)

The big reveal at the end that all those texts this entire time was their future conversations together was neat, but those last few minutes felt so rushed that it really feels like this series should have had 13 episodes.

I get that the appeal for this series has been how 'real' it all is, how much more legitimate human nature there's been as opposed to your typical romance anime. But the end here felt just a bit too over-dramatic and somewhat left that realism behind.

I really want to give this a 9/10, I really do. But for this ending, and Chinatsu not taking a fucking hint halfway into the season, I can't be so generous. The ending didn't give me that satisfying "oh, phew it all worked out in the end, how happy", it just felt like "okay so they're going to make the situation look dramatically as bleak as livingly possible and then turn it around at the very last possible instant". Thanks to that, it wasn't enjoyable for me.

But I'll give credit where credit is due, I'll only dock it one point for that. 8/10 overall.
Jul 5, 2017 9:47 AM

Mar 2016
A very good final episode! I have been up and down on this anime throughout but this was a very good finale that turned around my overall opinion on this anime! Was there times when the story progression was a little too slow but in the end they created a great story ending that nearly got me to tear up. Overall this was a good anime that had its bumps in the road but will be remembered in my mind as a good anime 7/10 for me!
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Jul 5, 2017 12:29 PM
Jul 2012
794 said:
Holy fuck, Chinatsu is such an ever-loving cunt. Honest to fucking god, how many times does she have to make it clear she'd steal Kotarou if he'd let her? The entire time she was confessing to him I was just rolling my eyes at the bitch.

And then Kotarou just stands there with a stupid look on his face as he let's Akane run off crying alone. No, that was not a situation where "it's better they have some time alone to let it out", fuck that. He should have been right there behind her to explain his perspective and that going lengths for her is worth it.

Sure, Chinatsu is the one that showed Akane the story he was writing, but that could have been done by any other character and was not in any way some sort of redeeming quality to Chinatsu. Akane basically had to say she would stay friends with Chinatsu because we know damn well if she said 'no', Chinatsu would have turned full throttle revenge-mode and done whatever she could to take advantage of the long distance relationship to try and steal Kotarou.

Then at the end with Akane reading his "true" confession and not even noticing him having run to her. (Not that she had a reason to somehow notice him, but they could have written it in for the romantic appeal of it all.)

The big reveal at the end that all those texts this entire time was their future conversations together was neat, but those last few minutes felt so rushed that it really feels like this series should have had 13 episodes.

I get that the appeal for this series has been how 'real' it all is, how much more legitimate human nature there's been as opposed to your typical romance anime. But the end here felt just a bit too over-dramatic and somewhat left that realism behind.

I really want to give this a 9/10, I really do. But for this ending, and Chinatsu not taking a fucking hint halfway into the season, I can't be so generous. The ending didn't give me that satisfying "oh, phew it all worked out in the end, how happy", it just felt like "okay so they're going to make the situation look dramatically as bleak as livingly possible and then turn it around at the very last possible instant". Thanks to that, it wasn't enjoyable for me.

But I'll give credit where credit is due, I'll only dock it one point for that. 8/10 overall.
To be fair about Chinatsu she can't change who she likes and she was completely honest about it while also supporting both of them even though she was making her own attempts. It's something that just happened when she started to like Kotarou and she told Akane immediately after she realized because she figured as her best friend Akane should know they both liked the same person.
Jul 5, 2017 1:18 PM

May 2014
Jakerams said:
To be fair about Chinatsu she can't change who she likes and she was completely honest about it while also supporting both of them even though she was making her own attempts. It's something that just happened when she started to like Kotarou and she told Akane immediately after she realized because she figured as her best friend Akane should know they both liked the same person.

My problem was that she already came on to him multiple times and made it damn clear that she liked him that way, and he already rejected her. She was just delusional to think "oh my previous advances weren't good enough for me, I should try again just to fuck around!". She already had her answer, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. She just decided to incessantly and uselessly keep trying anyways.
Jul 5, 2017 3:49 PM
Jul 2012
794 said:
Jakerams said:

My problem was that she already came on to him multiple times and made it damn clear that she liked him that way, and he already rejected her. She was just delusional to think "oh my previous advances weren't good enough for me, I should try again just to fuck around!". She already had her answer, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. She just decided to incessantly and uselessly keep trying anyways.
True though it was indirect rejections and due to the circumstances she actually decided to speak up.
Jul 5, 2017 7:42 PM

Jan 2013
Every romance show needs to take notes from this show from now on, on how it develops and how to conclude it. I loved this show, the ending texts were great.
Jul 5, 2017 7:46 PM

Feb 2014
The show didn't move my heart to an extent where I could say I like it a lot.
Sincerely, I felt bored many times. (Talking about personal enjoyment).

However, the show has its highlights and differences compared to others of the same kind, which I acknowledge and enjoyed.

7/10

TechOtakuJul 5, 2017 7:52 PM
Jul 5, 2017 8:25 PM

Aug 2013
Onsa_Rin said:
Jonesy974 said:
This was a great show.

I kind of picked it up on a whim, and then ended up having it backlogged because of watching so many other things. Then ended up binge watching it when there was like 10 episodes out.

I hope to god everybody watched the credits. I wasn't really paying attention at first and the text conversations didn't look important...but damn that was a subtle little epilogue there. Once I realized that the texts weren't just little recaps or anything and that they were progressing as a story I had to go back and watch it over. It was great seeing them first talk about school and being sick, then getting jobs. And you could see their contact names for each other change over time: from little pet names, to boyfriend/girlfriend, to "my man" etc...finally ends with Wife/My Hubby. Had the prepping of Akane's wedding kimono. And finally the final frame with them married which was a nice way to end it.

<snip>

I suspect a lot of binge watchers may have missed the importance of these LINE chats at the end of each episode. They were not subbed, but there's a blog somewhere with the English translations of the full ED chats from Ep 1 to 11, and there's actually more text than what was shown at the end of Ep 12.

The sheer brilliance is that the chats were not in sequential order earlier, which caused us weekly watchers to wonder at their relevance; and it was fun speculating in between episodes whether they represented our MCs at all. That the studio used them as THE most important part of the show still blows my mind.

You can liken it to a clever plot twist; as someone had mentioned, Studio Feel had spoiled the ending for us all the way since episode 1. We just never saw it even though it was staring at us all along.

This just emphasizes how the show has been consistently all about subtlety and that their best parts were in the after credits. Brilliant, briliiant writing.

Oh shit. Yea, I certainly know that I had zero clue about that. Especially since the first 11 episodes didn't subtitle the texts as you mentioned. Every time I watched the ED the phone just looked kind of the same so I thought it was just how they drew the ending frames! Hahaha.

If that's the case I definitely want to go back and check out what those said though, because that really is clever as fuck. I wonder if anything managed to put them in some kind of sequential order as well as translating them.
Jul 5, 2017 9:11 PM

Jul 2012
A rare instance when anime romance is actually good.

Wouldn't mind if this had an After Story kind of sequel more focused on family stuff.

I definitely do think it started off stronger than how it proceeded. It was subtle, down to earth and realistic but then the middle school drama kind of tore it apart.

8/10

cwtgcheese said:
Was really glad to see his writing play such a big role in the end. Overall very good, but could have had less tomboy drama and more intimate relationship building between the two.
This, amazing series but the drama is really not needed. Having that...double love triangle (or love square) was just really frustrating. Chinatsu was hella annoying too.
Jul 5, 2017 9:58 PM

Apr 2016
Jonesy974 said:

Oh shit. Yea, I certainly know that I had zero clue about that. Especially since the first 11 episodes didn't subtitle the texts as you mentioned. Every time I watched the ED the phone just looked kind of the same so I thought it was just how they drew the ending frames! Hahaha.

If that's the case I definitely want to go back and check out what those said though, because that really is clever as fuck. I wonder if anything managed to put them in some kind of sequential order as well as translating them.

Here you go

Looking back, they certainly wanted to throw us off with the chats. Hubby/Wife in episode 2? Muri muri muri...

Jul 6, 2017 2:12 AM

Apr 2014
QueenSapphire said:
Well I really wish they could've made that ending montage into an OVA or another season. just want to see how they were able to manage their relationship and stay devoted to each other, cause honestly to me a middle schooler relationship and a long distance relationship is highly unlikely this days. sigh geezzz...

Agreed. This was one of the main problem I had with this finale.
Jul 6, 2017 11:09 AM

Mar 2007
Z4k said:
QueenSapphire said:
Well I really wish they could've made that ending montage into an OVA or another season. just want to see how they were able to manage their relationship and stay devoted to each other, cause honestly to me a middle schooler relationship and a long distance relationship is highly unlikely this days. sigh geezzz...

Agreed. This was one of the main problem I had with this finale.

Mhm... Not sure why everybody loves this so much... Wasn't bad though, but they could've handled the ending a little better.
Jul 6, 2017 11:36 AM

Jul 2009
Chinatsu did confess in the end, what a good friend she is...I bet she really thought that with Akane away she had chance.
I really enjoyed the end, they showed that they married, so this made me happy, most series end with kisses...that's how you should end series!
7/10, coz sometimes Kotarou was a pain...

Jul 6, 2017 1:45 PM
Nov 2014
Annoying main characters, boring side characters, bullshit ending. Overall an Overhyped piece of trash.
3/10
Jul 6, 2017 2:31 PM
Oct 2016
I would give 11/10 if the anime was 2D
Jul 7, 2017 3:22 AM

Sep 2014
I'm so proud of this MC, usually we get a MC that is a bitch, while he did start out as a bitch, he ended up what only a few MCs are brave enough to do. Romance anime should be like this and not that hold hands at episode 12 bullshit and it ends.
Jul 7, 2017 6:46 AM
Oct 2016
Tons of fantastic scenes in the series and I love that there was so much subtlety - it would be inaccurate to call them the two best scenes on a technical level - but if the question were asked of me "What two scenes would you refuse to have cut from the series or replaced with something else" - it's more cuts than scenes really.

The two greatest cuts in the series were 1. Azumi maintaining eye contact with the team captain as he walks away with Mizuno in tow after confronting him straight. It was one thing to confront him - but he became an absolute bad ass when he stared him down as he walked away. 2. Mizuno getting nervous at the temple with her squishy and Azumi steadying her hand. Such a brilliant call back to all the foundation and characterization established with her and her being nervous. I replayed that one cut maybe 10 times before finishing that episode.

I could easily give up any other cuts or scenes but never those two.
HamakamiJul 7, 2017 6:51 AM
Jul 7, 2017 8:12 AM

Mar 2017
Yeah, some or most people would think that it was too unrealistic because they were so young though it is also possible to happen in real life (speaking from experience for now) but I was also expecting it to end tragically and I was satisfied that it didn't :) doesn't really matter to me what I like the most about the anime is how their love for each other developed, I bet many people can relate.
Jul 7, 2017 11:27 AM
Dec 2014
Most emotional part of the series was when the guy MC realised that his Mum actually cared about him when he was eating the rice things she'd made him.

Totally wanted the MC to end up with the other runner guy even if I knew it'd never happen.

I can totally understand why people would like this show but it wasn't for me.

Also the clips of the students walking made me laugh every time. That animation was just hilarious.

Also part of me wanted them to not end up together in the end, guess I'm in the minority.

5/10
Jul 7, 2017 11:42 PM

Sep 2013
I can understand why Hira would confess cause fuck-that her boyfriend isn't his buddy or anything. Not that doing that is cool, but you can let it pass, even though he was a little bitch for a moment on the confession. Chinatsu, on the other hand... wow, what a little bitch. Even the way she acts it screams "false friend". I just skipped forward her parts on this last episode cause this little bitch is that annoying.

I also think they are... like, too young to be that in love. So this takes another part of the joy of watching the show. If this was my kid I definitely wouldn't even let him try to do the exam for that school. But this is as realistic as it can get, I guess...

6-5/10 because of the insistence and "weirdness" (maybe movie format would benefit the show, btw).
WintoviskyJul 7, 2017 11:47 PM
Jul 8, 2017 12:17 AM

May 2010
LOVED the ending!!!! T_T But so wish they had made a season 2 so we could see them grow up and whatnot T^T

💕
Jul 8, 2017 3:24 AM
Jul 2017
Kotarou is so slow... the girl he loves is crying in front of him and he just stand there like an idiot.
He didn't even try to run after her smh.
Anyway i didn't really like that ending with the rushed timeskip but overall it was a nice story and really refreshing for a romance anime.
Jul 8, 2017 4:47 AM
Apr 2016
White this show wasn't bad IMO, I'm glad to see more and more rational people post their opinions. I hope to see more comments based less on sentimental feelings or from "honeymoon period" perspectives
Jul 8, 2017 1:42 PM
Oct 2016
Zeclo said:
Kotarou is so slow... the girl he loves is crying in front of him and he just stand there like an idiot.
He didn't even try to run after her smh.
Anyway i didn't really like that ending with the rushed timeskip but overall it was a nice story and really refreshing for a romance anime.

You missed an important - very important part of that scene. She isolated herself on one of the river crossing blocks. It was a brilliant move by the director - He literally could not comfort her without possibly pushing her into the water or hurting her accidentally or himself. She walled herself off physically with a literal moat before challenging him and herself with the ideas that were welling up inside her. I think a lot of people don't pick up what is going on in that scene.

Akane isn't so much blaming Azuma, nor is she really blaming herself although that's part of it - it's more she is thinking out loud and running through all the emotions and arguing with herself with Azuma as witness. It's half a challange against him and half a "judgement and sentence" of herself to herself. There is also a bit of trying to push him away for his own sake (this is foreshadowed with the sister telling her that boys get annoyed by a long distance sort of thing). There is a ton going on that's hard to break down in short order - but the scene was perfectly executed. It's very much how that sort of thing goes - you don't get a chance to comfort or hold or refute. Hell, the anime itself touches upon it a bit in one of the shorts - the one where the BF gets "2 tries" when the GF asks him to pick out a dress - and she isn't happy no matter what. That's an aspect of women you have to learn about - they aren't looking for you to solve their problems when they complain, they are looking for you to listen. Akane isolated herself on the block to force Azuma to listen and not just come in and comfort her.

As for him running after her... uh... did you not watch the same anime I watched? What is she famous for, what is he infamous for?

I'm not going to defend the rushed timeskip but I don't see the anime as being about their entire lives - I see it about the moment they learned what really being in love meant - which was only realized after the block scene, by both of them. The summary at the end was just a nice epilogue. I agree it would have been an awesome OVA. One episode to cover each text shot. Little time skips forward. Hey, maybe we will get that.

Also - I think they didn't do an animated time skip forward mostly because of the VA's and portraying age through voice.

Wintovisky said:
I can understand why Hira would confess cause fuck-that her boyfriend isn't his buddy or anything. Not that doing that is cool, but you can let it pass, even though he was a little bitch for a moment on the confession. Chinatsu, on the other hand... wow, what a little bitch. Even the way she acts it screams "false friend". I just skipped forward her parts on this last episode cause this little bitch is that annoying.

I also think they are... like, too young to be that in love. So this takes another part of the joy of watching the show. If this was my kid I definitely wouldn't even let him try to do the exam for that school. But this is as realistic as it can get, I guess...

6-5/10 because of the insistence and "weirdness" (maybe movie format would benefit the show, btw).

As much as Chinatsu was a bitch, I liked her scenes for two reasons. 1. I've known people like that so it's totally believable, and 2, their value isn't really with Chinatse, but for getting more of Azuma's character, how he handles her, the body language and facial expressions. They were great. As for being too young to be that in love - just the opposite, they are most likely to feel that at that time. Also, they were 3rd year Japanese middle school which is like 9th grade US high school. If you didn't watch the shorts after the ED - you probably missed out on the implied sexual activity of two side characters. (They keep going to love hotels, and he is a cheapskate so she ends up paying, even after they break up, or are about to break up, she still goes with him for a "one last time")

The anime would have suffered greatly if it were in movie format- there simply would not have been enough time to develop any of the characters to the degree that they were - It would have been impossible. The story was pretty fast paced as it was as far as plot progression. Episode 1. Establish characters + some motivation. Episode 2. Essentially set up to establish at least some connection between the two love interests (her losing the squishy, him finding, him complimenting her as the way she is). Episode 3. Asks her out. Any quicker of development than that and it would have felt fake/rushed. I rewatched it recently and paid close attention to if there were any wasted episodes that could have been cut - I think you could cut two halves at most without the story losing something significant. (Half the field trip and half the cram school drama).

I'm curious, what do you mean by wierdness? I'd love for you to elaborate. (not disagreeing with your opinion on your score)

[Edit]

And ladies - when you cry and run away from a guy, don't ever, ever, ever expect him to run after you. It's not that he doesn't want to, it's that he doesn't want to get tackled by a white knight, douchebro, or Police officer - it's also escalation of an emotional situation that rarely ever breaks the "awwwe sweety" way.
HamakamiJul 8, 2017 2:14 PM
Jul 8, 2017 2:44 PM

Feb 2008
A surprisingly mature and sincere take on love.

The finale definitely wrapped matters up nicely. I particularly liked the ending sequence, snippets of the correspondence between the protagonists. I tend to prefer shows with a bit more drama, however, Tsuki ga Kirei was enjoyable.

Chinatsu's sneak attack was also quite cute.
Jul 8, 2017 3:52 PM
Jul 2017
Hamakami said:
You missed an important...

I'm sorry but no, kotarou is fuckin slow for a 15yo kid and he proved that already (1st crying scene on the bridge).
Do i have to remind you that everytime they kissed, Akane was making the move? he almost never took initative except for grabbing her hand once.
They don't look like 15yo at all but more like 11/12yo, even if it's their 1st love story.

About the block scene, i didn't miss anything, i know exaclty why she did that but since when that means he couldn't do something after she had finished? why letting her run away without saying a goddamn thing?
And plz don't even try that joke about trying to run after her...

The thing i don't like about the timeskip isn't only because it's rushed but also because it's like they didn't have the balls to undertake a "bad" ending.
They finished the anime kinda like 5cm per second a.k.a frustration everywhere and then > magic ending scroll where they got married + baby... yeah sure.
I don't mind the happy ending at all but not like this, something felt off because it's rushed for the sake of making an ending that will make everyone happy.
Jul 8, 2017 4:20 PM
Oct 2016
Zeclo said:
Hamakami said:

I'm sorry but no, kotarou is fuckin slow for a 15yo kid and he proved that already (1st crying scene on the bridge).
Do i have to remind you that everytime they kissed, Akane was making the move? he almost never took initative except for grabbing her hand once.
They don't look like 15yo at all but more like 11/12yo, even if it's their 1st love story.

About the block scene, i didn't miss anything, i know exaclty why she did that but since when that means he couldn't do something after she had finished? why letting her run away without saying a goddamn thing?

The thing i don't like about the timeskip isn't only because it's rushed but also because it's like they didn't have the balls to undertake a "bad" ending.
They finished the anime kinda like 5cm per second a.k.a frustration everywhere and then > magic ending scroll where they got married + baby... yeah sure.
I don't mind the happy ending at all but not like this, something felt off because it's rushed for the sake of making an ending that will make everyone happy.

I don't think it's a case of not having balls to do the "bad" ending - the flip side is "Doing the bad ending for the sake of bad ending" - which is what 5cm/sec did.

To put it another way - 5cm/sec "should have" had Tsuki's ending and Tsuki could have had an unknown ending.

Tsuki ga Kirei didn't need the end credits sequence and I would have rated it exactly the same. What you seem to be asking for is a punishing ending just to sort of NTR the situation into one of those self-loathing sitations. What I mean by this is. If we are to take the story at face value and not throw in the end credits happy ending - then sure, don't throw in the end credits happy ending but don't show some punishing result either.

The problem with that is it keeps it open ended to most watchers, it becomes and "unfulfilling" conclusion because it leaves an open question. I understand your criticism, I've made it myself against other films and anime where it was appropriate - but in this case I honestly believe it's not. - from a story writing point of view.

There are 3 ways to confront it. They get together, they don't get together (explicitly stated), or it's left unanswered. The last, unanswered doesn't work from a production point of view. Even though the story reaches it's conclusion before the texting credits sequence in its message -most simple won't see it that way. Most would knee-jerk react with frustration and it would ruin the story. Better to have a bad answer than no answer essentially.

So that leave they get together, they don't get together - but the answer is just to avoid the problems with the third option. Well, if you explicitly have them not get together - it seems vindictively punishing from a story writer's point of view - especially since you need to quickly summarize it. An interesting example of this is in Erased. I won't spoil anything but if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about - but in erased I was ok with what is concluded because ot contributed to the story - it made sense.

In Tsuki ga Kirei - the climax at the end would make zero sense if you then in the next beat show them with different people 10 years later, not from a "preserve people's fee-fees" point of view although that seems to be what you are implying here, but from a narrative flow point of view. If you are going to have a punishing ending - then Either Kotarou or Akane would have to have broken the other way and gone with one of the other confessions - but that wouldn't have made contextual sense.

But let me engineer it a bit so it sort of fits. Akane going with the team captain was far less likely than Kotarou going with Chinatsu, the story game more screen time and narrative support for the Kotarou Chinatsu swing - even though his personality was less likely compared to Akane vs. Captain (she is relatively weak willed and unsure of herself so she would be first to falter in the hierarchy of who would crack first). So lets take Kotarou. Lets engineer it so Kotarou and Akane fight and don't make up at the festival, and Chinatsu confesses after K and A are "taking a break" - Step back for a moment and try and think about the story now being told. It doesn't make narrative sense, you set up all of this romantic progression to then have it be about punishing both characters and one of them severely?

They have that Anime - it's called Scum's Wish.

That's another thing that makes the idea of them sticking together "more realistic". They are both slow to trust romantically compared to other people - and further - they both work at it (Kotarou most). Episode 3 was really important because it showed Kotarou had a huge amount of courage, he wasn't asking a sure thing out on christmas eve after 24 episodes of flirting and blushing - he was asking out a girl he liked and got along with - but could have easily said no, there was a bond, but not something "get a room already" set in stone. Akane has her own set of these things. - but here is the important points.

Slow to progress, the more solid or sincere that progression (for them). You can't characterize someone taking 2 episodes to decide yes after a lot of thought (Akane) which was about a week or so - and then have her all of a sudden be open to another random guy. Also they are in their honeymoon period - there is zero chance they are thinking about anyone else - also if there were a break up - there would have been the grieving period, unless you want to suggest Akane would have latched onto captain as a rebound screw.

---

There are many layers to why "Them not making a bad ending" wasn't because they had no balls. I'm not event talking about how I "wanted it to end" - like I said, I would have been perfectly happy with them not answering the question, but I'm in the minority. If you actually look at the structure that would have had to have been in place for any other ending, you should be able to see not only would it have been narratively inconsistent with how the anime did things, but also the characterization that went into all of the cast.

I do appreciate the opposing viewpoint though and I'm not disagreeing with you with any malicious intent.
HamakamiJul 8, 2017 4:27 PM
Jul 8, 2017 5:10 PM

Apr 2016
What a wonderful ending. I'm speechless how realistic this anime. Satisfying 10/10
Why do we have to live in such a cruel world?

Jul 8, 2017 6:53 PM
Jul 2014
Ending too perfect, makes me appreciates open ended endings so much more now

Overall solid 8/10, it's generic but much better than worthless romcoms

Also how much do you have to suck to not average 60%
Jul 8, 2017 9:44 PM
Apr 2017
stop
Zeclo said:
Hamakami said:

feels like you're an saddist...
Jul 8, 2017 10:26 PM

Jun 2014
Finally a romance story that is able to break out of the genre's horrible tropes. Finally a romance story that is properly paced. They give love confessions and start dating early on, not at the last episode. They have their first kiss in the middle, not at the last episode.

The whole middle school love thing is painfully awkward, but that's what makes the story great; along with the accurate portrayal of life's harsh realities.

The artwork is also one of the prettiest Ive seen in the romance genre (except for the awful 3d CGI cuts that made walking look painful). The music selection was also very well done, as well as making certain scenes dead silent with no music or background noise.

I occasionally enjoy a good romance story, but I hate romcom and anything overly tropey. But Tsuki ga Kirei had none of that and truly felt genuine. Thats why this is probably my favorite show in the romance genre.
Jul 9, 2017 12:22 AM
Jun 2016
This is the very first anime to actually make me tear up a little. Easily one of the best love stories I've ever seen.

When they ran all those texts during the final bit it was almost too much.

I rarely watch romance anime but I'm glad I watched this one. Deserves all the praise it's gotten and then some. Damn that was good.
Jul 9, 2017 5:16 AM
Jul 2017

I never said I wanted a "punishing" ending, it's just the way things are displayed that felt wrong for me.
I agree with you for the most part and they probably did the right thing by choosing that ending for the audience as you stated, but it comes out of nowhere.
It's like they were uncertain to choose which ending and decided to throw out a rushed happy one to avoid any form of bashing and make everyone happy.
You can read it a lot here > "I was worried but hopefully it has a good ending so everything is fine".

I won't talk about how unrealistic this ending can be because it could happen even if the probability is very low so let's move on, but i don't think it's well handled to play from one extreme to another.

Anyway, I still think it's one of the best and subtle romance anime i've seen (not that hard when you see the competitors) for all the good reasons that were mentionned before but it has some flaws.
ZecloJul 9, 2017 5:33 AM
Jul 9, 2017 5:37 AM

Apr 2015
I think my favorite parts of this anime (besides the emotional parts) is when Azumi dances. For a very shy and kind of awkward guy, he looks cool as hell when he dances. Chou kakkoii.
Jul 9, 2017 5:43 AM

Jun 2010
Beautiful end... My eyes filled with tears of emotion.
Jul 9, 2017 7:12 AM

Jul 2015
I love this anime so much, really.
Simple and beautiful yet still could deliver its messages to us.

I am almost shocked when Kotarou shout and think it is the farewell, but no.
The novel he made deliver the feeling he has for Akane.

A great closure from this beautiful romantic anime. AOTS for sure.
Jul 9, 2017 8:45 AM

Sep 2015
All hail the prophet,

king_layes said:
I'm pretty sure this is just an ad for LINE. They'll go to different far away schools, but their relationship is going to be saved by using LINE. After all, LINE is what got them through the hardships of the beginning as well.

All in all, everything about this anime was realistic but the ending where they both get married and had kid was cheezy and ruined the realism. It pretty much sealed any possible continuation.

I just kinda wish the anime would ends right after the train scene and let the viewers decide their future.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Jul 9, 2017 12:23 PM
Mar 2017
Wasn't all that invested since many times i felt like they should just stop being so damn prude and careful when it only creates problems lol. But yet i cried slightly in the fast forward part in the ending credits. My age really starts to affect how hard a "happy ever after" hits me.

Kinda feel like a wreck after a few emotional animes binged in a short time hah, feels like i need a break with comedy and such to lighten the mood. Mayby even horror if i find one, i dunno.
DajurudoJul 9, 2017 12:27 PM
Jul 9, 2017 1:14 PM

Jun 2016
I actually found the post-credits ending (as with the show as a whole) very believable, satisfying, and almost inevitable. With how the two of them had handled their conflicts and challenges and constantly grew closer through them in subtle ways, and doing more and more on each other's behalf, it was obvious to me even by around episode 6 or 7 that their relationship would be very difficult to break, and went much deeper than the cheesy or superficial stuff you see in a lot of romances. You know, characters spouting endless inner monologues making up overly poetic metaphors to describe the beauty of their love interest yet freaking out in melodramatic fashion over trivial, contrived and overblown misunderstandings or endless interruptions artificially stalling progress.

It's a relationship. Conflicts and setbacks are bound to happen, but that always feels so unnatural to me. If Tsuki ga Kirei had done all that and THEN had them suddenly marry in the end, then yeah, it would have felt forced. But this show didn't do that. Any time there was a perfect opportunity for it to devolve into ridiculous yet empty melodrama, it instead remained disciplined, and focused more on how the characters might actually deal with such situations while showing so much of their states of mind just through visuals alone. I would have been way more shocked if a few years of long-distance suddenly broke their relationship after all that.

This was so much more engrossing to me than most romances of its sort, yet so comparatively quiet and subtle about it. This may be my anime of the season.
Jul 9, 2017 2:58 PM

Aug 2013
Onsa_Rin said:
Jonesy974 said:

Here you go

Looking back, they certainly wanted to throw us off with the chats. Hubby/Wife in episode 2? Muri muri muri...

Interesting. So after clicking that link and going back and reading them, it turns out that in episode 12, all they did was take all of the different LINE chats from each ending, and actually put them in chronological order for us and revealed it was them all along. I assumed they were different chats altogether.
Jul 9, 2017 5:59 PM

Sep 2013
I got emotional when the texts tilte changed from "the girlfriend" to "the wife" this anime was so cute

Jul 9, 2017 7:18 PM

Nov 2007
Well, marathon-ed the second half and was definitely beautiful. The departure scene almost tore my heart but as I read the LINE messages, it brought smile back on my face.

I have read similar, if not, more beautiful romance stories with happily ever afters but very few in animated form. So, this was a wonderful ride. It's always great to have stories with conclusions such as this one.

I was thinking about giving this an 8/10 but the last episode was so beautifully executed that I gotta bump it to a NINE!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 10, 2017 4:21 AM

Dec 2012
OMG, it was beautiful! Seeing Koutarou shouting his feeling was so moving.
I will miss this couple, but I'm happy to see that their couple survived to the distance. At the beginning of the episode, I began to have doubts about a possible happy ending, but finally the end was perfect.

Tsugi ga Kirei is one of my favorite of the season, it's an easily 9/10. This pure and sweet romance was beautiful to follow each week.
Jul 10, 2017 4:34 AM
Jul 2017
Can someone tell me or give a link to where I can find the manga and exactly what chapter ep 12 represents?
Jul 10, 2017 8:44 AM
Mar 2012
Worried when the school rejected him, then when Chinatsu confessed, and when the train departed with both reminiscing on a sad note. End montage saved the worries, tho not so sure about using screen text. Kotarou running scenery was beautiful.
One of the cutest ships in anime that breaks a lot of genre cliches, Kotarou with guts, both very determined to keep their relationship tho being awkward middle schoolers full of mistakes, embarassments and quirky personality. It's the details and the show-not-tell that really shine, and the side character omakes are brilliant.
Need more Roman & sensei.
Tho occasional quality fails, animation is quite good on the mains when it counts.
Jul 10, 2017 9:02 AM

Jan 2011
TaigaFA said:
Can someone tell me or give a link to where I can find the manga and exactly what chapter ep 12 represents?

It's an original anime. You won't find a manga.
Jul 10, 2017 11:39 PM

Feb 2013
Aw the end was so great showing them getting married and having a baby.

7/10
Jul 11, 2017 7:01 AM

Dec 2016
poor chinatsu, but she deserved that! haha (evil mode: on)
love the ending :3
the scene when they're chatting on line was so entertaining
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2017

98 by KamiKazee »»
Aug 10, 11:48 PM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2017

160 by AkiFosu »»
Aug 4, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2017

195 by AkiFosu »»
Aug 3, 5:37 PM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2017

177 by AkiFosu »»
Aug 2, 1:50 PM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2017

180 by AkiFosu »»
Aug 1, 1:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.