Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Dec 27, 2015 3:08 AM

Mar 2012
Very enjoyable, every part of the story was entertaining and caught my eye, the mystery on it is actually pretty good as well and what keeps me wanting to watch it forever.

It's been a very long time since I've last watched an anime with this kind of superior story, even if it's slow paced the story is always developing, the slow pace actually made me feel like I was playing alongside the main character. I'd call it an "immersive" story, it is THAT good. People are saying the MC overpowering everyone in story is a downside, I don't think so, I think it is what makes this anime so unique, that's the thought I get when comparing him to other overpowered MCs. He almost lost to his subordinate, so he's not that strong, it's exactly like in a true MMORPG, you can be on the max level in the game but your class will always have flaws and downsides, other classes who can counter yours etc. This story is really well thought. I find it impressive that the author even thought in using the "real cash" systems that we have on our video games (micro-transactions) in his story.

Anyways, this is not even an opinion, this is what I felt about the show overall, and it felt GREAT.

Hope to see a 2nd Season as soon as possible, we still have a ton of stuff to discover in Overlord's world and story.
b1GZZDec 27, 2015 3:09 AM
Dec 29, 2015 3:58 PM

Aug 2015
i guess this was an okay ep. stuff was a bit vague and just came out of nowhere.
My hot seat: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1582823
watch me be a huge noob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vav-Cb1biI

megaminx+pyraminx :)
Jan 9, 2016 12:16 AM

Dec 2015
Is there a place where you can read a summary of what happens in the light novels after the anime? I enjoyed the beginning arcs.
Jan 9, 2016 1:42 AM

Apr 2008
Kubacki-sama said:
Is there a place where you can read a summary of what happens in the light novels after the anime? I enjoyed the beginning arcs.

That would be the wiki
Jan 9, 2016 7:38 AM

Sep 2013
Kubacki-sama said:

or you could read the novel
Jan 9, 2016 8:41 AM

Apr 2008
ichii_1 said:
Kubacki-sama said:

or you could read the novel

Well he did ask for a SUMMARY not a translation. Soo
Jan 9, 2016 9:55 AM

Dec 2015
Thanks for the help guys!
Jan 11, 2016 6:49 AM

Feb 2010
OMG at first i didn't find this anime promising but honestly i enjoyed it very much
overwhelming start but a bit let down at the end.. still this anime is very awesome
9/10 for me, probably the best 'game' anime i've seen so far
Overlord >> Log Horizon >>>>> SAO lol

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jan 12, 2016 5:12 PM

Mar 2010
What the fuck!! I need season 2 or something.. Well actually I have seen many anime that end abruptly.. And I don't feel like going to the source material to know what happens Next KeK. So I will wait and see if there is any sequel if not then.. Fuck it I won't know what happens KeK.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 14, 2016 12:48 AM

Sep 2014
"Touch me sama" was just gold.
Jan 18, 2016 8:02 AM

Apr 2009
Nezperdian said:
Rasco said:
What the fuck!! I need season 2 or something.. Well actually I have seen many anime that end abruptly.. And I don't feel like going to the source material to know what happens Next KeK. So I will wait and see if there is any sequel if not then.. Fuck it I won't know what happens KeK.

Since you enjoyed the anime, the LN it's the real deal.
Since it was adapted by Madhouse, RIP 2nd season.

I guess I am not really well informed, but do I take from this that Madhouse doesn't really do second seasons?

Jan 18, 2016 11:56 AM

Dec 2015
xsarq said:
What a dirty pay to win.

That's just what I was thinking most of the fight.

I guess old MMO player instincts die hard.
Jan 18, 2016 6:07 PM

Jul 2009
Dominick_Destine said:
xsarq said:
What a dirty pay to win.
That's just what I was thinking most of the fight.

I guess old MMO player instincts die hard.
I don't know... I'm an old MMO player and I was fine with it. Considering she's a raid boss meant for 20+ endgame-geared level 100 players; I think only using that few CA$H-Shop items is fine.
Jan 22, 2016 11:30 AM

Jun 2009
i wish they would have paced this better and made it 24-26 episodes. oh well, all i can ask now is: season 2 when?
Jan 29, 2016 6:20 AM

Dec 2008
GAH! ITS OVER!! Begun and finished in less than 6 hours. To become a lich in a game world made real. ITs like the better opposite of smelly log horizon. THis show was awesome. 7.5/10 Slightly disappointed not a longer show, so there had better damned well be a 2nd season!!!! MORE!! MORE!!!
Jan 29, 2016 3:22 PM

Dec 2015
Finished watching it. I rate it 8/10 mainly because I was expecting more badass-ness from "Ains" but it was good nonetheless. Seriously, they should make a Hentai/Ecchi version of "Overlord", where "Ains" finally bangs those girls :D
Can anyone tell me, where I could finish this? Are the LN all translated & are they free?
Jan 29, 2016 4:00 PM

Jul 2009
Masum_Beast said:
... Seriously, they should make a Hentai/Ecchi version of "Overlord", where "Ains" finally bangs those girls :D
With his bony fingers? He's missing the equipment to do the deed. :D
Jan 29, 2016 5:22 PM

Sep 2013
Masum_Beast said:

Can anyone tell me, where I could finish this?

google "skythewood overlord"
don't mind the notice, keep scrolling down the links are still there for now.
begin from vol 1 if you want, the novel is more detailed.
Jan 29, 2016 11:33 PM

Dec 2015
ichii_1 said:
Masum_Beast said:

Can anyone tell me, where I could finish this?

google "skythewood overlord"
don't mind the notice, keep scrolling down the links are still there for now.
begin from vol 1 if you want, the novel is more detailed.

Thanks! Really hoping that Madhouse gets over their "Not-Making-Sequel" curse.
Jan 29, 2016 11:36 PM

Dec 2015
kyled00m said:
Masum_Beast said:
... Seriously, they should make a Hentai/Ecchi version of "Overlord", where "Ains" finally bangs those girls :D

How dare you defame Lord Ains!!! Jk :P
Yeah, he's missing the "fine-touch" & he probably would scar Albedo's tits if he banged her :D
Also, don't think he has a D**k under that armor ;)
Jan 29, 2016 11:48 PM

Jul 2009
Masum_Beast said:
kyled00m said:

Yeah, he's missing the "fine-touch" & he probably would scar Albedo's tits if he banged her :D
You should read the LN. In the beginning of the series when he touches Albedo, his negative energy damages Albedo, but she gives a face of pleasure. I'm fairly certain she'd enjoy the scars... but being a demon race, not only is her body resistant to physical damage, she regenerates so nothing would be left. :P

I believe he could use magic to acquire a humanoid body; but I don't know if he considered it... He has well over 700 spells in his repertoire and I'm guessing he doesn't have one like this, HOWEVER he has no limit to the number of spells he can know (i think) so he could always learn/make a new one!! :D
Jan 30, 2016 1:08 AM

Dec 2015
kyled00m said:
Masum_Beast said:

You should read the LN. In the beginning of the series when he touches Albedo, his negative energy damages Albedo, but she gives a face of pleasure. I'm fairly certain she'd enjoy the scars... but being a demon race, not only is her body resistant to physical damage, she regenerates so nothing would be left. :P

I believe he could use magic to acquire a humanoid body; but I don't know if he considered it... He has well over 700 spells in his repertoire and I'm guessing he doesn't have one like this, HOWEVER he has no limit to the number of spells he can know (i think) so he could always learn/make a new one!! :D

Yeah, I'm planning on reading the LN.
He could make a humanoid body or he could bang her in his skull armor. Either way, it would make a good story.
Feb 3, 2016 6:29 PM

Jan 2016
b1GZZ said:
Very enjoyable, every part of the story was entertaining and caught my eye, the mystery on it is actually pretty good as well and what keeps me wanting to watch it forever.

It's been a very long time since I've last watched an anime with this kind of superior story, even if it's slow paced the story is always developing, the slow pace actually made me feel like I was playing alongside the main character. I'd call it an "immersive" story, it is THAT good. People are saying the MC overpowering everyone in story is a downside, I don't think so, I think it is what makes this anime so unique, that's the thought I get when comparing him to other overpowered MCs. He almost lost to his subordinate, so he's not that strong, it's exactly like in a true MMORPG, you can be on the max level in the game but your class will always have flaws and downsides, other classes who can counter yours etc. This story is really well thought. I find it impressive that the author even thought in using the "real cash" systems that we have on our video games (micro-transactions) in his story.

Anyways, this is not even an opinion, this is what I felt about the show overall, and it felt GREAT.

Hope to see a 2nd Season as soon as possible, we still have a ton of stuff to discover in Overlord's world and story.

^ this
....................................... stupid 30 count
Apr 24, 2016 6:26 PM

Jul 2013
So someone from that Slane Theocracy used that world item to mind control Shaltear. They're a pain in the ass.

Well, whatever. I liked this show even though I know it was rushed. But if it's possible, I want a second season.
May 2, 2016 9:26 PM

Feb 2013
Okay show. Not awesome, not boring. Just okay.
May 13, 2016 3:40 PM

Dec 2012
I don't know why this is rated so high; plot is uninspired and I only liked two characters, Ainz and Clementine, the rest were run-of-the-mill.
May 31, 2016 4:10 AM
Dec 2014
Just finished the anime. Relative to the rest of the show I found the last fight was the best part (other than noticing that Clementine is voiced by the same VA as Madoka), but that is not saying a lot.

This is an anime I wanted to like more than I did, and am quite surprised by how highly rated it is. The lore had potential (various factions, magic class etc.), and I liked -some- of the character design. But there wasn't enough character/plot development for an anime that seem to take itself more seriously than, say, OPM.
Jun 5, 2016 3:16 AM

Dec 2012
Good ending.

Enri is back one last time. Ainz looking out for her until she's ready to join his harem.

Glad to see Nabe one last time.

Albedo is best girl.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jun 5, 2016 2:17 PM
Mar 2015
I can't imagine how strong the original crew is in the actual game... maybe that's why most of them quit because they were too strong, able to lock down both range and close quarter combat, THAT IS JUST OVERPOWERED AF.
Jun 5, 2016 4:02 PM

Jul 2009
GamePois0n said:
I can't imagine how strong the original crew is in the actual game... maybe that's why most of them quit because they were too strong, able to lock down both range and close quarter combat, THAT IS JUST OVERPOWERED AF.
That gets lightly hinted at early in the novel.
    Requirements to join Ainz Ooal Gown
  • Heteromorphic races (not Human or Demi-human races)
    >Means a monster-race
  • Must be a productive member of society (in real life). Either in Education Employment, or Training.
    >Means not a NEET.
The main reason many quit was real-life obligations. Things like having to work overtime, caring for their children, having to move and work at a new location, and the like. You could say the reason they quit is because they were a member of Ainz Ooal Gown from these Guild rules..
Jun 5, 2016 4:08 PM
Mar 2015
kyled00m said:
GamePois0n said:
That gets lightly hinted at early in the novel.
    Requirements to join Ainz Ooal Gown
  • Heteromorphic races (not Human or Demi-human races)
    >Means a monster-race
  • Must be a productive member of society (in real life). Either in Education Employment, or Training.
    >Means not a NEET.
The main reason many quit was real-life obligations. Things like having to work overtime, caring for their children, having to move and work at a new location, and the like. You could say the reason they quit is because they were a member of Ainz Ooal Gown from these Guild rules..

but if you/your team is the most powerful, it's like hitting a wall that can't be destroyed, I'm saying they might have quit because they were too good and just simply got bored of the game cuz they were constantly crushing quests/players (PK guild)
Jun 7, 2016 7:51 PM

Jul 2009
Momentary said:
The fight against shalltear was interesting - so ainz is an item shopper. That game is unbalanced because one can win simply by investing.
So many things wrong with that statement... Are you sure you were watching the same anime as me?

In the anime, and the Light Novel, Albedo mentions the NPCs official plan to defeat Shalltear is to attack her in waves, utilizing every other floor guardian, apart from Gargantua and Victim (4th & 8th floor guardians). Only after all the other floor guardian had attacked would they beat Shalltear.

Cocytus, Aura, Mare, Demiurge, and Albedo fall into the typical MMORPG elite dungeon boss monster category. Shalltear is significantly stronger than them all on her own so she falls into a elite hidden dungeon boss monster category. In the YGGDRASIL game world, no matter how hard Momonga tried, with any number of CA$H Shop items available to him, he would not be able to win against any of Cocytus, Aura, Mare, Demiurge, or Albedo, let alone Shalltear.

Keep in mind what Momonga said, that his plan would have failed had his psychology or bluffs failed to entice Shalltear to waste her skills early on. He won because it was the real world that the NPC-minded Shalltear didn't comprehend.
Jun 9, 2016 7:50 AM

Jul 2013
So, when will we be expecting Season 2?
Jun 12, 2016 9:30 PM

Nov 2009
Fun show although kept falling into a rut with too much talking/less action and never seemed to find the right balance but maybe if it had been longer it would've been different, I did enjoy the Shalltear battle though. 7/10
Jul 3, 2016 6:59 PM

Mar 2016
can someone just explain me why Madhouse never do 2nd Season???

If you watched 13 Reasons Why in 13 hours in a row (like me) you got my respect !
Jul 3, 2016 7:42 PM

Jul 2009
yousandro said:
can someone just explain me why Madhouse never do 2nd Season???
There's many reasons, but the 2 most-likely reasons are:
1. Money. It costs a lot and they need to observe profit margins. If season 1 doesn't sell well, they're unlikely to do a season 2.
2. How the story progresses. After this arc, the following events jump around a bunch of the NPCs from Nazarick and there's little screen time for Ainz. After 1.5 arcs or so, Ainz would get the center stage back though. :3
Jul 15, 2016 1:52 PM

Apr 2013
Great protagonist in an interesting setting. This is basically what SAO should've been, loved it :3
10/10
Jul 19, 2016 3:47 PM

Dec 2015
Aassdddai said:
I don't know why this is rated so high; plot is uninspired and I only liked two characters, Ainz and Clementine, the rest were run-of-the-mill.

Narberal Gamma?

She was pretty entertaining, I sure wish she had gotten more screentime rather than giving it to Albedo... that said, Ainz alone carries pretty hard.
Jul 27, 2016 7:39 PM
Mar 2015
Anyone understood something of the end??? WTF!
Aug 16, 2016 9:00 AM

Jul 2009
I really liked the idea of a villain protagonist in an MMO, but this was rather rushed. Making it only 1-cour is a grave mistake for this show since only a handful of the cast were explored. Even Ainz himself was not that fleshed out. On the other hand, I enjoyed the curb-stomp battles and plenty of plot pieces that we got. I still think however that the show could just let go of the MMO aspect and would still be the same. Final arc went by too fast with little explaination to what lead up to Shaltear's behavior.

Generous 6/10. Let's hope the upcoming second season does more to enrich the show.
Aug 21, 2016 12:36 PM

Sep 2014
So much P2W Ainz lolz
Shalltear worried about her bewbs haha.
Was a pretty awesome series but it felt like the quality dropped near the end.

I really hope this will get a second season, can't end it like this!
Sep 4, 2016 3:37 PM

Feb 2015
Sigh, half the show is info dump from characters and god it's boring to watch.

Besides, am I the only one who's disappointed in Ainz? I was told that he's evil blahblah and I'm just???? What part of him is evil again? You mean the fact that he helps all the damn villagers he sees???? I mean, sure, he killed a bunch of people too but lol, so would have a normal hero if the show painted them as the bad guys.

Decent but meh, 6/10.
Nov 9, 2016 10:06 PM

Dec 2015
kyled00m said:
Momentary said:
The fight against shalltear was interesting - so ainz is an item shopper. That game is unbalanced because one can win simply by investing.
So many things wrong with that statement... Are you sure you were watching the same anime as me?

In the anime, and the Light Novel, Albedo mentions the NPCs official plan to defeat Shalltear is to attack her in waves, utilizing every other floor guardian, apart from Gargantua and Victim (4th & 8th floor guardians). Only after all the other floor guardian had attacked would they beat Shalltear.

Cocytus, Aura, Mare, Demiurge, and Albedo fall into the typical MMORPG elite dungeon boss monster category. Shalltear is significantly stronger than them all on her own so she falls into a elite hidden dungeon boss monster category. In the YGGDRASIL game world, no matter how hard Momonga tried, with any number of CA$H Shop items available to him, he would not be able to win against any of Cocytus, Aura, Mare, Demiurge, or Albedo, let alone Shalltear.

Keep in mind what Momonga said, that his plan would have failed had his psychology or bluffs failed to entice Shalltear to waste her skills early on. He won because it was the real world that the NPC-minded Shalltear didn't comprehend.

That's really interesting... I really wish they had explained that in the show because the more I read about it the more I want to see more. It's like the director just glossed over the best parts and thought "Fuck it, cute designs, semi-self insert video-game protag, that's good enough right?" because I didn't get that at all, it didn't feel like Shalltear was any stronger or weaker than the rest of the guardians. If they had built it up that she was apparently insanely strong it would have been even more interesting.

It's confusing though because it was stated in episode 1 that Albedo is the strongest NPC in Nazarick. I also read somewhere that Pandora's Actor is the strongest of all the guardians by a significant margin.

Is this the case? I guess it's somewhat of a spoiler but , is Pandora's Actor stronger than Shalltear?
Nov 10, 2016 12:21 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, this anime was really REALLY good. WAY better then I was expecting. Pretty much everything about it I loved. The characters, the MC himself, the story, the world, the fights, the way they incorporated MMO/game mechanics into the fights, going as far as to even use cash shop items lol. This was great!

Also I liked that this MC used his brain, not just his power. Yes he started OP as fuck, but that's what made it interesting imo, and even more interesting when he actually faced a real threat. I like that in the end fight, he had to use his wits to win, not just his insane amount of power. I also liked the ridiculous amount of abilities he used, and how he even buffed up before the fight at the start, just like you would in an actual game lol.

Overall this anime was fantastic, and I really really want and hope for a season 2. It would a huge let down if they didn't make one. There's so much more to this story that needs to be told. I want more Overlord.

Rating: 9
Shape430Dec 6, 2016 7:43 AM
Nov 29, 2016 5:16 PM
Nov 2016
ending was great. Lord Momonga is true god tier!
Dec 24, 2016 7:42 PM

Mar 2010
Fuck I"m rewatching this since There is no damn second season yet T^T FUCK ME.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 8, 2017 1:11 AM

Apr 2014
Ah, so he just simply bided his time until Shalltear's MP ran out and she could no longer counter against his OP attacks. A battle of attrition. It was an enjoyable fight, but I expected more given how it had positioned itself as THE climatic battle of powerful servant against master.

Ainz is a badass. Even though he projected himself as a ruthless, cold, and efficient leader, he still retained compassion as long as it didn't directly interfere with his objectives. I felt that despite some of his selfish justifications or reasoning in regards to some of his generous acts, he actually cared about others and usually used them in order to assist in his desired self-projection. Typically a character like this tends to be morally righteous, however Ainz takes no bullshit. Cross him or commit heinous crimes, and he will deliver retribution a thousandfold. It was always entertaining to watch his opponents boast of their power only to find that they had no effect on Ainz and his guardians, and then to be overkilled by an OP attack.

His analytical nature made some events more interesting than they might have otherwise been, and his tendency to engage in battle with a strategic approach made them a delight to watch. His balance of outward seriousness vs inner quirkiness made him more rounded, and his tendency to contemplate about life, his situation, and the world also assisted in that regard.

The guardians were an entertaining bunch. It was unfortunate that there wasn't time to sufficient develop them much and provide them with more depth. It was great observing how they interacted with one another and with Ainz.

The OP and ED were alright.

The first four episodes were great in introducing everything and were filled with massive intrigue in regards to not just the setting and situation, but also Ainz and the other characters. There was a sense of team unity, journey, caution, mystery, discovery, and Ainz was provided with a lot of time to showcase his internal and external personalities and his power as we were shown more of the world and how it worked.

The second five episodes were alright. While Ainz's attempts at climbing the ranks of the guild were interesting to see, I didn't feel particularly invested in the situation involving Clementine and the cult at the cemetery. The character interactions were amusing though, and the fights were good despite being stretched out.

The final four episodes didn't really have much in the way of plot, but it was nice to see some character development in episode 11 in regards to Albedo, Ainz, and Pandora. The battle between Shalltear and Ainz was certainly entertaining, but clearly didn't live up to its potential. This series could have used a full 25 episodes. It started out very well, only to feel progressively rushed.

First Third Rating: 8/10
Second Third Rating: 7/10
Final Third Rating: 6/10

Overall Rating: 7/10

This show definitely needs a second season, although I guess I could always read the LNs.
Jan 22, 2017 5:01 AM

Jun 2014
well that was a weak finish to such a strong start.... In the end it suffered from rushing, and extended info dumps.

But I still want more.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 12, 2017 9:53 PM

Feb 2017
Since i played a lot mmorpg, this anime was very exciting and entertaining to watch
definitly a 10/10. Too bad it has only 13 episodes
Mar 1, 2017 5:05 AM

Aug 2016
Season 2 would be nice

Set by SenpieX
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2015

246 by MrList »»
Jun 23, 11:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.