Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Nov 25, 2014 6:13 AM

Apr 2012
Or use this for more typical, "japanese" jrpg games. After all I think when people say and hear jrpg they dont just think of any rpg made in japan but more of a certain range of artstyles, tropes and gameplay mechanics.
Either way the Souls games or Zelda for example dont really feel like typical jrpg games. Not that Ive had much experience with it but when I think jrpg I think something on the lines of Final Fantasy.
Nov 25, 2014 6:30 AM

Feb 2008
JRPG stands for RPGs that are made in Japan. Dark Souls is an RPG made in Japan. Thus it's a JRPG. Not all JRPG games are turn based. Dark Souls is an action JRPG. It's as JRPG as Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are (both set in fictional fantasy worlds inspired by the west).

Also Zelda isn't an RPG at all. It's an action adventure game.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 25, 2014 7:32 AM

Jul 2013
ME1 is my favorite of the bunch and it's one of my favorite games ever for its sense of vastness, exploration into the unknown, and many other great elements. The item and weapon customization made for more varied weapons. (Assault rifle with freeze ammo and other enhancments for almost perfect accuracy and great power) I also liked the Mako! I can see why people have problems with the game though.

Anyway, what supposedly stellar games, praised in yesteryear, have some problems made more apparent with age? Is there a gameplay element that was fine or passable then but now it feels clunky or makes playing the game unwieldy? Is the voice acting poor? Are the story or characters really nothing special, looking back on it? Are the graphics, animationions, or colors used dated or bland? Essentally, what games don't hold up today or are negatively impacted by time? The game doesn't have to be terrible now but it can show its age.
Nov 25, 2014 7:41 AM
Jun 2008
ZetaZaku said:
JRPG stands for RPGs that are made in Japan. Dark Souls is an RPG made in Japan. Thus it's a JRPG. Not all JRPG games are turn based. Dark Souls is an action JRPG. It's as JRPG as Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are (both set in fictional fantasy worlds inspired by the west).

Most people would disagree. Don't forget, the term jRPG is interchangeable with console RPGs (and no, the term is not used for every RPG thats on consoles, but refers to the specific design philosophy that originated on consoles, would you believe it, in Japan), and most people use the terms most commonly not just for RPGs that are made in JP, but narrow it down to a specific sub-genre.

jRPGs would be those games that we can dub as "Dragon Quest clones". They follow Horii's take on Wizardry and Ultima, which although similar on the surface, is fundamentally different. They rarely deviate from the set gameplay formula, and when they actually do is usually within the framework, and are coupled with the mantra that almost all jRPGs follow in term of plot structure (you know the checklist - no parents, mute, etc - basically a very bad shonen coming of age story). So those are the pretty clear confines of cRPGs and jRPGs.

There won't be a lot of people that would consider Demons and Dark Souls jRPGs because in every aspect of their design FROM has followed western RPG philosophy. And that's what they have done since the first Kings Field game. They've just released them on consoles because PC has never been a market for games in Japan. But their inspiration and model is definitely western, having nothing to do with DQ.

An action jRPG would be something like Secret of Mana. Zelda has nothing to do with RPGs, so it doesn't fall in either spectrum of the terms, though the 3D ones with time insert more and more cliche jRPG plot elements.
Wind_FalconNov 26, 2014 5:23 AM
Nov 25, 2014 8:07 AM

Apr 2012
ZetaZaku said:

That would be pointless and stupid tough. As Wind_Falcon mentioned, when people hear jrpg people expect something. And lets be honest who really cares where a game comes from, and even if people did, why is it japan and rest of the world? Why are there no, deRPGs, ruRPGs, muricaRPG and aussieRPGs? Its cause only in Japan a dominant part of RPGs have developed common traits, traits that people now think of when they say jRPG.
If Skyrim or The Witcher was developed in Japan, nobody would call it a JRPG. Maybe save a few hipsters. Lets be honest.

And yeah my bad about Zelda, it really isnt a RPG.
Nov 25, 2014 8:29 AM

Feb 2008
baki502 said:
That would be pointless and stupid tough. As Wind_Falcon mentioned, when people hear jrpg people expect something. And lets be honest who really cares where a game comes from, and even if people did, why is it japan and rest of the world? Why are there no, deRPGs, ruRPGs, muricaRPG and aussieRPGs? Its cause only in Japan a dominant part of RPGs have developed common traits, traits that people now think of when they say jRPG.
If Skyrim or The Witcher was developed in Japan, nobody would call it a JRPG. Maybe save a few hipsters. Lets be honest..

Yes, if Skyrim and The Witcher were made in Japan, they would be JRPG. Child of Light and South Park Stick of Truth have gameplay most common in Japanese RPGs. Does that make them JRPG? The gameplay is really similar to Super Mario RPG games to be precise. Nope, they aren't because they aren't made in Japan, so they are American/Western RPGs.

The whole term is just a shortcut for a Japanese Role Play Game. JRPG doesn't have some kind of deep meaning. It just stands for RPGs that are made in Japan. Dark Souls was made by a Japanese company, so it's JRPG. The same way Resident Evil is a Japanese game despite taking place in America without any relation to Japan.

Nov 25, 2014 9:31 AM

Jul 2008
Agreed with Zeta, JRPGs are RPGs from Japan and nothing else. Just like outside of Japan we consider anime to be Japanese animation. You can start going "hurrdurr The Last Airbender is anime it looks the same to me blahblah Alfred J. Quack isn't an anime it's not moe" if you want, but it's retarded to do so.

Nov 25, 2014 10:27 AM

Apr 2012
Again that is a pointless term then, that says basically nothing. And since no other country has a <insert letter>RPG tag for its RPGs, that would make fans of jrpgs annoying special snowflakes for pointlessly tagging games after their country of origin.
UNLESS that term had a level of expectation behind it. Also it would make anybody who would say they like JRPGs kind of clueless unless they where japanese supremacists and liked the game simply for being japanese. After all the term says absolutely nothing about the game aside from being from japan and an rpg. Which could mean any kind of game with rpg elements, and the japanese in the term is just ballast.

People label stuff to be able to discern one from the another on certain characteristics, so that people can talk to each other about specific stuff without having to go trough a lengthy explanation every time. Country of Origin is simply a pointless label unless it stood for something. And JRPGs are a subgenre of RPGs that stand for something and people have different additional expectations from than normal RPGs.

You cant and tell me when you hear the term jRPG, you vision a super realistic artstyle, completely down to earth and realistic weapons and gear and slow action based first person combat. At least thats what I envision jRPGs to not be at all, correct me if I am wrong.

I mean technically you are right. Thing is "technically" is often far from reality.
baki502Nov 25, 2014 10:32 AM
Nov 25, 2014 12:51 PM

Mar 2014
Jrpg's is just a way to pick out what rpg's got characters with silly hair
Nov 25, 2014 8:15 PM

Apr 2012
mugi said:
since the same people will most likely call Kingdom Hearts a JRPG as well (which really isn't much different compared to Witcher 2).

Hmm I never thought of it as a jRPG. Its kind of a mashup cause its got the anime look alike main character with the silly hair, but its basically filled with western disney characters and lore.

And no I dont explain it how I want it to be, I just explained it how from personal experience other people view jRPGs. Maybe here in Austria there is another view on it, who knows. Its kind of the same with anime after all, when I was small everything was a "Zeichentrickfilm", there was no "anime" and "cartoons". Only when I got older and went on the internet really where the american/english view is predominant I learned of the "difference".

Also I find it interesting how you say that japan actually labels their RPGs like that. Wasnt aware of that. I thought it was a western fan thing just like with anime, since in japane everything is "animation" and the differentiation is only a western thing.
Ive never heard themselves say jRPG tough, Ive watched a ton of Dark Souls Interviews and the like and they always said RPG if I remember correctly.
baki502Nov 25, 2014 8:18 PM
Nov 25, 2014 8:35 PM
Jun 2008
Hah, some people that don't know how the terms came to be do just use them on the basis of their literal meaning, but thats not why these terms emerged historically.

Kingdom Hearts is definitely made in the framework of jRPGs, I don't know how deep of an RPG it is to call it an action jRPG again, but the roots are clear.

And it has as much similarity to Witcher as Ultima and Wizardy have to DQ - very little outside of the gameplay elements which Horri borrowed and re-imagined. Like I already said - its about design philosophy and framework. The link of Wiz/Ultima -> emergence of DND based isometric cRPGs -> Neverwinter Nights -> Witcher is obvious. It's also obvious how Kingdom Hearts hasn't borrowed from that tradition, but has from the action jRPG one - especially in terms of plot (its a freaking FF take on Disney).

Like baki said, if we ignore the historical context of the terms they become absolutely void of any meaning. Westerners have tried to dabble in the jRPG style in the past and the only reason why I wouldn't label the games that come to mind as such is because they failed in maintaining the framework established by the hundreds if not thousands of jRPG titles up to now (and Japan has some pretty good games in the western tradition, just not that many RPGs). Though I guess discussing this is kinda moot if we're gonna argue about obvious stuff like how Witcher and Kingdom Hearts are completely different types of games fundamentally, and how Demon's and Dark Souls (and Bloodbourne, Kings Field, Shadow Tower etc.) are wRPGs just made by a Japanese developer...

(Hope no one gets offended, thats not my point).
Wind_FalconNov 26, 2014 5:22 AM
Nov 26, 2014 4:26 AM

Jan 2013
Idk, I think the Zelda series could count as an RPG series. You are playing a role in a fantasy adventure and have a little more freedom and customization to configure the role as opposed to say an FPS story mode where you typically follow a linear narrative and mostly just get guns handed to you for the only real change up as you progress. I mean, I always see sites list Zelda games as RPGs, so I've kind of leveled with that notion for some time and tried to rationalize it like such. I mean, it's mostly just nuances between Action Adventure and Action RPG really, and a lot of games fall under various genres, so it doesn't have to be too constrained.
AngelsArcanumNov 26, 2014 4:30 AM
Nov 26, 2014 4:51 AM

Feb 2008
Zelda has no RPG traits. You don't have any stats, you don't earn experience points, there are no levels etc. The only Zelda game that features some RPG elements is Zelda II. Other than that, the Zelda games are just fantasy action adventure games, no role play elements at all. And Zelda games aren't any less linear than the FPS games you are mentioning. You have an open world, but you're stuck going from A-B-C-D etc with very little freedom. Only in some cases you can choose some dungeons out of order, which is more like going out of your way just to do it differently, kinda like Pokemon where you can skip certain gyms (which isn't worth it most of the time).

Nov 26, 2014 7:23 AM

Sep 2011
So is the 3rdf dragon age anywhere near as bad as the 2nd one was?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 26, 2014 7:29 AM

Feb 2008
JizzyHitler said:

Nov 26, 2014 7:54 AM

Jul 2013
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/66209351

This is a case where people aren't sure what exactly label the game. The lines have been blurred with shared ideas and similar approaches. I think it's appropriate to label Dark Souls and all other RPGs that come from Japan as JRPGs because they're Japanese.

Some people like using classic vs modern styled and I think that can fit the bill. Someone made another distinction with other terms while I was on Twitch TV. I believe it was narrative vs immersion though I could be wrong. On another note, for Zelda someone used "top-down" vs 3D (even though the top down ones are now 3D) and I feel comfortable using that. I sometimes use 2D even though they're not 2D anymore.

Also, Zelda has some RPG elements, most notably in Skyward Sword, though I wouldn't exactly label the series as a RPG. I don't mind if people do because the elements are there.

In any case, no matter what labels are used, a good game is still a good game at the end of the day.

Here's an interesting article for the different RPG styles.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/185353/focusing_creativity_rpg_genres.php
Nov 26, 2014 7:58 AM

Sep 2011
ZetaZaku said:
JizzyHitler said:

jesus christ

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 26, 2014 9:21 AM

Apr 2012

You should have linked the same poll on the Xb360 forums too: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/66209352

As expected on the ps3 where there are way more japanophiles more people considered it a JRPG than on the XB360 which has a more western oriented userbase.
Its still surprising to see that on the ps3 the opinion that it is a JRPG only won by one vote, altough both consoles togheter would show that by a slight majority of 53,5% think its not a jrpg compared to 46,5% that think it is one. Not that 347 votes can accurately represent the dark souls community, but I do think it it shows that on the issue of what a JRPG actually is, people are evenly split on both sides.

Nagisa33 said:

Here's an interesting article for the different RPG styles.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/185353/focusing_creativity_rpg_genres.php

Very interesting read. I found it a bit weird tough how Dark Souls was thrown in with Torchlight and Diablo as a Dungeon Crawler. I dont quite agree altough from the free main types he mentioned it definetly comes the closest to a dungeon crawler.

That said find it interesting how the game designer that wrote the article, in the comments, talks about JRPGs as a specific subgenre with specific traits, along with everyone else talking about the genre. So even some devs share my view on the jRPG term. I guess there is no general agreement as to what the term stands for, and its ambiguous.

Also I agree that a good game is a good game at the end of the day, but a good game doesnt mean I will like it if it has to me unapealing elements. Thats why I think genres and labels are very important too immediately be able to narrow down the experience a game is aiming to offer. I personally dislike loose labels like action RPG or Country of origin version of JRPG, because they dont tell much about the game.

Im going to continue using JRPG my way, but it was very interesting to learn that quite a lot of people do not actually share my view on it. I left the discussion smarter than I entered it and in the end thats what every debatte is supposed to achieve.

Also hats off to everyone that they managed to keep a cool head it shows that this club is mature enough to hold a diccussion with clashing opinions without anybody going Berserk. That is what I joined for and Im happy to see that is still the case.
Nov 26, 2014 2:20 PM

Mar 2009
Americana Dawn sounds interesting.
Nov 26, 2014 2:54 PM

Apr 2012
It doesnt look bad at all. The pixel art is quite superb in a quite fresh and unused setting, and god am I loving the fact that they are using a more realistic art style and not generic Anime characters with flashy hair and Bugeyes. That said it can still not evade its japanese roots it seems as it has Bishies everywhere. Have yet to see single middle aged, old, wrinkly or simply uglier person.
That and the gameplay will probably put me off the game tough. Not a huge fan of pokemon-like turn based battle systems anymore.
Nov 26, 2014 3:08 PM

Feb 2008
AlabastreAizo said:
Americana Dawn sounds interesting.

Wow, this looks hype. Not digging the character portraits, but the sprite work looks nice.

Nov 26, 2014 9:45 PM

Mar 2009
I also love a lot of the things the woman says in the interview. I want to support her.

Baki, did you read about the Suikoden-inspired macrobattles? That's very different from pokemon.
Nov 27, 2014 2:22 AM

Mar 2014
So it's basically Suikoden in the American revolution with Mark Twain humor? Because if it is I'm totally supporting it.

She said something about liking Rose of Versailles, so if this one is successful there might be a french revolution one.

Anyhoo I'll definitely buy it
Nov 27, 2014 3:29 AM
Jun 2008
Nothing will be achieved when trying to prove something with lowest common denominator pandering websites waving.

Like I already said, why people can't agree on stuff like whether Demon's and Dark Souls are jRPGs or not is because they operate under different understandings of the term. There is literally no point in stating whether an RPG comes from Japan or not if this whole deal didn't come with strings attached. That's why all these terms like western, computer, Japanese and console -RPGs exist. If there wasn't a huge gap in design they wouldn't have come into being, like we don't differentiate between western and Japanese Survival Horror because the hole genre has it's roots in Alone in the Dark, and gameplay-wise this is evident even on a superficial level (the main difference between east and west here is the plot, which Japan makes more culturally specific to themselves).

These new terms like Narrative and whatnot aren't bad and from a glance are at least getting the point somewhat, but we already have functional terms that we've used for decades, it's pointless to insert even more confusion to the mix (and god do I hate when new terms for old stuff are created - I still want to strangle someone when I hear "MOBA"...).
Nov 27, 2014 5:37 AM

Apr 2012
AlabastreAizo said:

Baki, did you read about the Suikoden-inspired macrobattles? That's very different from pokemon.

No I havent, but reading it now, I googled Suikoden and watched a battle. Honestly could be potentially good. I guess it depends on how complex and challenging the macro battles will be.
After all the biggest problem I have with Pokemon is that its so easy. If it where challenging like Aarklash Legacy where every encounter is deadly (its not really comparable tough) I dont mind games that dont have action. I just dont like games where spamming the same attack is enough to win. I think Dark Souls ruined me since now I want all my games to be super challening ^^.

I'll keep an eye on it but I am still wary. That said I am a bit biased against jRPGs as Ivee never really gotten into them. They always drew me in with beautiful and interesting art design, but whenever it came down to the gameplay they never managed to capture me.
Nov 27, 2014 6:19 AM

Feb 2008
Because all games need to brutally hard and have you die with every encounter. Pokemon is a casual and cozy RPG on surface, and complex on the inside. Multiplayer is what really puts your skills to test. That, and Blaze Black and Volt White, that are nearly impossible to Nuzlocke. Vanilla single player is easy for anyone that played any Pokemon game once.

@JRPG talk
In other words, "If I like something, it's definitely not JRPG because JRPG are either gay bishonen crap or moe loli crap"

Nov 27, 2014 6:59 AM

Apr 2012
ZetaZaku said:
Because all games need to brutally hard and have you die with every encounter. Pokemon is a casual and cozy RPG on surface, and complex on the inside. Multiplayer is what really puts your skills to test. That, and Blaze Black and Volt White, that are nearly impossible to Nuzlocke. Vanilla single player is easy for anyone that played any Pokemon game once.

@JRPG talk
In other words, "If I like something, it's definitely not JRPG because JRPG are either gay bishonen crap or moe loli crap"

Matter of taste. I dont play games just for their story alone, the gameplay has to atleast be decent. Not saying story focused easy games are bad at all, my tastes are just a bit specific and I personally dont like them. A game is either challenging(mentally or skill) or has simply fun gameplay for me to enjoy it even if its not too challenging. Games like that come to mind would be The Darkness 2, MK, Bayonetta (its reasonably challenging tough) or Zelda games. Turn based games (Does Civ 5 count?), I only enjoy if they pose a challenge and offer complexity.

As hypocritical as it is since I watch anime, I dont really like the anime style outside of anime itself.

But mostly its the gameplay. JRPGs, atleast the more popular ones, tend to be either Turn based like Dragon Quest, which I dont like, and or quite repetitive and grindy.

I also am not a huge fan of RPGs in general, its not just JRPGs really, many western styled RPG have gameplay I dont like too. Dark Souls altough its an RPG is kind of a big exception because of its incredible gameplay. I dont care about Roleplaying at all anyway, if that is a big thing for RPG fans to begin with. Is it?

Im sure there are a handful of JRPGs I could enjoy if I dug deeper. That said Im not willing to go out of my way to look for them. I couldnt care less about the country of origin. If it gets to my attention, I check it out and I like it, I will play it. So far tough the ones that have become reasonable mainstream in the west havent met my taste.

You dont have to agree with my tastes, but there is more behind them than just "JRPGs are either gay bishounen crap or moe loli crap".
Nov 27, 2014 12:50 PM

Feb 2008
That line wasn't directed at you not liking JRPG. I can understand you, since I myself have a similar problem with the retro western RPGs like Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale. I'm not considering them to be bad, but hard to get into if you didn't play them when they were new.

More than having problems with JRPGs, you just don't like turn based RPGs, which isn't exclusive to Japanese RPGs. There are lots of turn based American RPGs as well, which you probably wouldn't like as well.

I guess maybe you'd enjoy the core Shin Megami Tensei games (just stay away from Persona) since those are pretty challenging. Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey for the DS would be your best choice, as SMT I and II are SNES games and rather slow. Those aren't too anime-like, although the spin offs like Persona and Devil Survivor are a lot, so you'd probably hate them in the first minute. Also Strange Journey isn't really story focused, so you'd spend more time battling and dungeon crawling than reading.

Nov 27, 2014 1:54 PM

Jul 2008
SJ's story is like 50% in the intro and another 50% in the rest of the game, lol.

And my biggest problem with playing SMT I and II is how much trouble it is to open up the map if you do it as often as I do and are used to constantly seeing the map in newer games (either on the lower screen on the DS or in the corner in newer games on other platforms).

Nov 27, 2014 2:12 PM

Apr 2012
@Zeta
That actually doesnt look to bad at all. Reminds me of Legend of Grimrock which I liked quite a bit but then dropped at a really annoying puzzle.

Guess I should give it a try. Time to fire up my DS emulator.
Nov 28, 2014 8:29 PM

Sep 2011
finally finished Xillia 2 after not having time for it for like 3 months, I definetly think i prefer the tales of series when they are going for the sad route, i dont know which route zestiria is gonna be going for but it seems like it can go either way between really cheery like graces(i really dont want to play another graces, by far one of the worst tales game story wise) or it could go really dark like abyss. It seems like the game has a focus on war and there did seem to be alot of bleak imagry in some of the more recent trailers so Im thinking/hoping its going down the abyss route.

Not saying i dont enjoy happy tales games, just that i think its at its best when they are darker, that said i loved vesperia and that game was upbeat as shit even if it did get more somber int eh 2nd act, it never felt all that dark but still was a excellent story.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 2, 2014 6:46 PM

Jul 2013
So now it's time to finally sit down and play Xenoblade Chronicles! Anything I should expect or know about beforehand? I don't want to cry 70 hours in after realizing that I missed my only chance to get a teammante, I can't go back to an area that has a rare item, or I can't do a fun or rewarding side quest.

Basically, I don't want it to be like Mass Effect 1 where you go back to the citidel after a certain mission and you can't return. No warning was given and sad faces were made.
Dec 2, 2014 8:29 PM

Sep 2011
theres very little thats missable in xenoblade, saying specifically what is missable is kind of a big spoiler for later events so ill refrain from giving details. You can play the game at a casual pace and not really miss anything of importance nor mess up chances of seeing anything later. In fact xenoblade lets you fast travel to any area you have been to so it really does let you do your own thing.

So enjoy your 70 hours of brilliance that is xenoblade so that you may get hyped with us all about how good chronicles X is.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 2, 2014 8:55 PM

Jul 2013
JizzyHitler said:
So enjoy your 70 hours of brilliance that is xenoblade so that you may get hyped with us all about how good chronicles X is.

Knowing me, I'll probably spend over 100 hours on it! :) How long did it take you guys?
Speaking of being hyped, here's some news on the mech design:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/02/xenoblade-chronicles-x-director-concept-behind-games-mechs/
Dec 3, 2014 6:52 AM

Sep 2011
I'm pretty sure i actually beat it around 75 hours, though i regret not doing this one big side mission where you rebuild a town cause i forgot it even exsisted. Best part was that you have to protect that same town near the end of the game so the fact that our heroes were willing to give their lives protecting what was essentially a giant lump of black ash with a nice looking building near the right back side of it just made that part of the game funny as hell

And i said it to you before but ill just repeat, definetly try playing xenogears too, you dont need it for the new xenoblade, its just a really fucking good game.
JizzyHitlerDec 3, 2014 6:56 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 3, 2014 8:01 AM

Jul 2013
I'm getting my brother a PS3 (bundled with The Last of Us) for Christmas for his apartment. I got him MGS4 (a game he's been dying to play for years), MGSV:GZ, Heavy Rain, and all three of the Uncharted games. I managed to get all of the games for under $60 combined because they've been out for a while. Huzzah for used games and price drops!

Whenever (in a few years), he's finished with those I'll borrow it and play Xenogears on the PS Store. That'l be in quite a while but I'm in no rush since I'm occupied with older games and plenty of animoo.
Nagisa33Dec 3, 2014 8:07 AM
Dec 6, 2014 1:50 PM
Dec 6, 2014 2:40 PM

Apr 2012
I dont get it, so its just an upscale? If that is real then just lol. Using the ps2 emulator with a hack you can display old games at a native resolution of your choice, and they cant make a proper HD-Remake? Good lord.
Dec 6, 2014 3:18 PM

Jan 2013
baki502 said:
I dont get it, so its just an upscale? If that is real then just lol. Using the ps2 emulator with a hack you can display old games at a native resolution of your choice, and they cant make a proper HD-Remake? Good lord.

It's SE just being cheap and trying to milk every last dollar until they are desperate and will release the REAL remake.
Dec 6, 2014 5:13 PM

Sep 2011
the FF7 remake situation ios such bullshit, not on squares part but on the demand for it, thats like the least deserving entry in the series to get a remake cause it accomplishes everything it can with what it has and the only improvement that can come about a remake is pretty graphics, FF5 and FF6 are the 2 games that can actually be better by transitioning to 3d.

But even then, i fucking hate the idea of making ps4 remakes of stuff like old rpgs cause it just makes us more dedicated to the past than making something new.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 6, 2014 6:08 PM

Apr 2012
JizzyHitler said:
the FF7 remake situation ios such bullshit, not on squares part but on the demand for it, thats like the least deserving entry in the series to get a remake cause it accomplishes everything it can with what it has and the only improvement that can come about a remake is pretty graphics, FF5 and FF6 are the 2 games that can actually be better by transitioning to 3d.

But even then, i fucking hate the idea of making ps4 remakes of stuff like old rpgs cause it just makes us more dedicated to the past than making something new.

Well how about punching the whole series into the ground then? And all the other ones with 10+ titles already?
Personally I don like it but such is the way of the industry right now, big block buster titles and the name behind it get milked like crazy. And people love it. I am more in the minority for not wanting sequels all the time. 2-3 is the sweet spot for me. Then you can take the spirit or the gameplay, but make something that feels different.

Altough FF I guess still changes up a bit, altough I havent played it too really give in depth critique. But from trailers and such its the least stale series compared to Cod, Assassins Creed etc...
Dec 6, 2014 10:07 PM

Feb 2008
I kinda wish people would stop moaning about a FF7 remake. It got older than the Half Life 3 joke, except FF7 fans are serious about it. Part of the reason FF13 got so much shit is because of the FF7 tech demo for PS3. Just look at Square Enix's facebook page. FF7 fans moan about a remake and trash any announcement because it's not a remake lol. At least it was like that last time I checked. FF7 fanbase is just turbo autistic. They don't even realize how expensive a remake would be, and by now, JRPG became more niche than ever in the west. Unless FF7 remake sells better than Pokemon, it wouldn't be worth at all. It could easily bankrupt Square Enix if it didn't sell enough.

But why does it even need a remake? Are the early PS1 graphics such a big issue for the fans? The graphics didn't bother me back in the PS1 era, and they don't bother me now. FF7 wouldn't be the same without it's cheesy visuals. A remake would just make it feel more emo than it is lol.

Dec 6, 2014 10:16 PM

Sep 2011
ZetaZaku said:
I kinda wish people would stop moaning about a FF7 remake. It got older than the Half Life 3 joke, except FF7 fans are serious about it. Part of the reason FF13 got so much shit is because of the FF7 tech demo for PS3. Just look at Square Enix's facebook page. FF7 fans moan about a remake and trash any announcement because it's not a remake lol. At least it was like that last time I checked. FF7 fanbase is just turbo autistic. They don't even realize how expensive a remake would be, and by now, JRPG became more niche than ever in the west. Unless FF7 remake sells better than Pokemon, it wouldn't be worth at all. It could easily bankrupt Square Enix if it didn't sell enough.

But why does it even need a remake? Are the early PS1 graphics such a big issue for the fans? The graphics didn't bother me back in the PS1 era, and they don't bother me now. FF7 wouldn't be the same without it's cheesy visuals. A remake would just make it feel more emo than it is lol.
The best part is, people at square have straight up said a FF7 remake would bankrupt them, like just to put it into perspective FF7 is still the most expensive entry in the franchise and is still the 4th most expensive game to make of all time......and this was back in 1997. Do these people have any fucking idea what that would be like now? Where theyd probably have to sink 50 mil just to model midgar alone only to realize its not even a 50th of the games overall map.

On another side though one could argue that FFXV is probably the same size of what a supposed FF7 remake and even includes supposedly 3 giant cities the size of what midgar might be like. But on this note FFXV also proves why a FF7 remake is such a bad idea because FFXV has reequired a near decade development cycle, creating an entirely new engine and having to wait for a whole new fucking generation before it finally started to make it to the state its in now.

To believe this whole cancerous remake nonsense started over a tech demo to show what one of their older games would look like on new tech, cause you know they totally never did anything exactly like that before or anything

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 6, 2014 10:57 PM

Feb 2008
Or even older than that, the N64 tech demo with FF6 characters.

Yet it seems like the FF7 fanbase is the only cancerous one here.

Square Enix has made some terrible decisions, but people are too hard on them for not wanting to bankrupt themselves.

Dec 18, 2014 8:19 PM

Jul 2013
In Mass Effect I absolutely loved the sense of exploration as well as the conversations with teammates. How is Bioware's other series: Dragon Age? I heard the first game was good, the second was ok, and the new one is great. I really don't know how they compare to Mass Effect though. Does the Dragon Age series take you on a memorable journey with twists, turns, and interesting characters with shades of grey?
Nagisa33Dec 18, 2014 9:29 PM
Dec 19, 2014 2:27 AM

Apr 2012
Nagisa33 said:
In Mass Effect I absolutely loved the sense of exploration as well as the conversations with teammates. How is Bioware's other series: Dragon Age? I heard the first game was good, the second was ok, and the new one is great. I really don't know how they compare to Mass Effect though. Does the Dragon Age series take you on a memorable journey with twists, turns, and interesting characters with shades of grey?

I heard its more like first one great, second one shit, and third one good. But yeah idk, how it compares.
Dec 19, 2014 3:58 AM

Feb 2008
Dragon Age Origins is pretty much the only worth playing. Cisqusition only if you need to play more from the series, but only if you don't mind single player MMO-like gameplay. And yeah, 2 is considered to be an abomination because the gameplay went more hack and slash and all dungeons were recycled all over again (oddly enough, this hasn't bothered people when they played Skyrim).

Dec 19, 2014 12:09 PM

Jul 2013
ZetaZaku said:
Dragon Age Origins is pretty much the only worth playing. Cisqusition only if you need to play more from the series, but only if you don't mind single player MMO-like gameplay. And yeah, 2 is considered to be an abomination because the gameplay went more hack and slash and all dungeons were recycled all over again (oddly enough, this hasn't bothered people when they played Skyrim).

What is Cisqusition? I looked it up but I'm still confused. Generally I'm not into MMO-like gameplay but who knows, I'll have to at least give it a try. Recycled dungeons, count me out. I wasn't fond of it in Skyrim either but since I snuck through most it didn't feel like a big deal. Fighting the same enemies over and over again was my biggest gripe with that game. Sooooo many drugar, so many mecha spiders. Anyway, Maybe I'll start with the first one if I feel like playing another bioware game.
Dec 19, 2014 1:36 PM

Feb 2008
The third game, Dragon Age Inquisition.

The first one is really good for a casual RPG, but it's pretty easy even on hardest difficulty. The AI can be a bit dumb in battle. I was playing a bit today and my party members chased the enemy into fire and died with them. I had them pull back, only for them to run into fire again.

Dec 19, 2014 9:35 PM

Sep 2011
Man im gonna be devestated if this sucks cause this shit gets me hyped like no other

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.