Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any anime series where you prefer the Dub over Sub?

New
Pages (17) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jul 27, 2012 1:27 AM

Dec 2009
Not anime but Final Fantasy XII. Horey Shet. What a world of difference. The dub is vastly superior to the egregious, seizure-inducing voice work of the Japanese cast.

Other than that I've got nothing.
Your favorite anime is shit.
Jul 27, 2012 5:53 AM
Jun 2012
noyoureinsane said:
Highschool of the Dead.

This.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Samurai Champloo and Higashi no Eden have good English VA as well.
Jul 27, 2012 6:03 AM
Mar 2011
fantastic said:
Not anime but Final Fantasy XII. Horey Shet. What a world of difference. The dub is vastly superior to the egregious, seizure-inducing voice work of the Japanese cast.

Other than that I've got nothing.

nope while anime dubbing has some parity Game dubbing is why behind in the us Japan haie been voicing games [ long cinematic ones ] since teh PCE days while the Dubbing of game in teh US as been going on far less time
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 27, 2012 6:14 AM

Aug 2011
PsycoDipicto said:
Yu Yu Hakusho.
IMO, FUNimation has a fairly large catalog of decent dubs. That includes Baccano. But stay the hell away from their One Piece dub.

The FUNimation dub is decent. 4Kids dub was the one that was awful.

Edit: fixed the third video
Tiago97Jul 27, 2012 9:25 AM
Jul 27, 2012 6:19 AM

Oct 2011
I don't know,that is up to you.
Unless I grown to love the characters & depending on which version I've seen 1st,usual I just cast it off as equal in terms of voice acting quality.
But some good dubs are:
- Highschool of the Dead
- School Rumble
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
And so much more in my opinion.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Jul 27, 2012 6:31 AM

Aug 2010
iLostReason said:
None.

I agree with him. ecksdee.
fuck everything and rumble
Jul 27, 2012 6:32 AM

Aug 2009
Well I did prefer FMA dubbed.

Jul 27, 2012 6:53 AM

Oct 2010
svastiKaThulhu said:
QysteiN said:
Dubbed Pokemon is the only dubbed anime worth watching.

This.

Dubbed Pokemon was fucking awful, gtfo. Anyway...

'Afro Samurai' ;
'Air Gear' (had some fifteening done to it, more explicit than the original) ;
'Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-Chan' ;
'Code Geass' ;
'Cowboy Bebop' ;
'Cromartie High School' ;
'Dead Leaves' ;
'Death Note' ;
'Dragon Ball' ;
'Dragon Ball Z' ;
'FLCL' ;
'Full Metal Panic!' ;
'Gantz' ;
'Hajime no Ippo' ;
'Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu' ;
'Trigun' ;
'Welcome to the NHK!' ;
'Yu Yu Hakusho' ;
Pretty much ANY Ghibli dub.
Jul 27, 2012 6:57 AM
Mar 2011
spyrocoot said:
svastiKaThulhu said:
QysteiN said:

This.

'Afro Samurai' ;
'Code Geass' ;
'Cowboy Bebop' ;
'Dead Leaves' ;
'Death Note' ;
'Dragon Ball' ;
'Dragon Ball Z' ;
'FLCL' ;
'Full Metal Panic!' ;
'Gantz' ;
'Hajime no Ippo' ;
'Trigun' ;
'Welcome to the NHK!' ;
'Yu Yu Hakusho' ;

i can debunk most of thatt i give a hell about
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 27, 2012 7:01 AM

Oct 2010
Enjolras1830 said:
spyrocoot said:
svastiKaThulhu said:
QysteiN said:

This.

'Afro Samurai' ;
'Code Geass' ;
'Cowboy Bebop' ;
'Dead Leaves' ;
'Death Note' ;
'Dragon Ball' ;
'Dragon Ball Z' ;
'FLCL' ;
'Full Metal Panic!' ;
'Gantz' ;
'Hajime no Ippo' ;
'Trigun' ;
'Welcome to the NHK!' ;
'Yu Yu Hakusho' ;

I stopped taking your comments seriously when you claimed that the Ghibli dubs are bad.
Jul 27, 2012 7:02 AM
Mar 2011
spyrocoot said:
Enjolras1830 said:
spyrocoot said:
svastiKaThulhu said:
QysteiN said:

This.

'Afro Samurai' ;
'Code Geass' ;
'Cowboy Bebop' ;
'Dead Leaves' ;
'Death Note' ;
'Dragon Ball' ;
'Dragon Ball Z' ;
'FLCL' ;
'Full Metal Panic!' ;
'Gantz' ;
'Hajime no Ippo' ;
'Trigun' ;
'Welcome to the NHK!' ;
'Yu Yu Hakusho' ;

I stopped taking your comments seriously when you claimed that the Ghibli dubs are bad.

i have my reasons for that and only some

Jul 27, 2012 7:16 AM

Apr 2012
i think Kuroshitsuji dub it's good, i like sebastian voice
Jul 27, 2012 8:18 AM

Oct 2010
I am comparing them with the Spanish dubs, so my answer won't probably fit yours, but I think the redub for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and the Porco Rosso (this one specially is one of my favorite dubs) and Only yesterday dubs are better than the original. Whisper of the heart is probably also better, except it fails a little in Seiji's voice.

Death note's is also great. I haven't seen the subbed version, but the voices fit the characters perfectly.
Jul 27, 2012 8:25 AM

Jul 2012
Legend-Thriller said:
Black Lagoon is surprisingly a very good dub show, of course it was dub by funimation...but still very good though

Yeah, that is the only anime that I actually thought was better dubbed than subbed.
Jul 27, 2012 8:37 AM

Feb 2012
GITS SAC
if you disagree with what i say, feel free to comment on my profile. in all likelihood, i won't come back to this thread.

Jul 27, 2012 8:39 AM
Apr 2009
Hellsing: Ultimate
Black Lagoon
Angel Beats!
Canaan
Baccano!
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Highschool of the Dead
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Gantz
Death Note
Code Geass
Clannad
Samurai Champloo
Yu Yu Hakusho
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

All of them are either:

Alright
Almost as good as sub
Equal to sub
Better than subbed
Jul 27, 2012 8:41 AM

Jun 2012
Dragon Ball Z was all right.
Dragon Ball Z Kai is so much better.
Claymore
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jul 27, 2012 8:42 AM

Mar 2011
Inuyasha?
[Input amazing signature]
Jelly?
Jul 27, 2012 9:01 AM

Feb 2010
Tiago97 said:
PsycoDipicto said:
Yu Yu Hakusho.
IMO, FUNimation has a fairly large catalog of decent dubs. That includes Baccano. But stay the hell away from their One Piece dub.

I just don't think FUNi did it justice, even after they took it from 4Kids' clutches.
Jul 27, 2012 9:06 AM

Jan 2012
Pokemon
DBZ
xxxHOLiC - Both good but I prefer the dub
Rurouni Kenshin
Jul 27, 2012 9:10 AM

Nov 2010
We have some nice dubs in Brazil.
A lot of people here prefer watching dubbed, mostly Saint Seiya, Yu yu Hakusho and DBZ...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2012 9:25 AM

Feb 2012
I've seen Clannad, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Claymore, Dragon Ball, and Rosario+Vampire (and Capu2) dubbed.

I'd say the only one that I found as good as the average sub to be Claymore. The dub was so good that I don't even really need to watch it again with subs, but I will because I loved it and I'm curious as to how the Japanese voices are.

Rosario+Vampire's was just really silly, but I still watched the whole thing and loved it anyway.

Dragon Ball and DBZ have okay dubs, but honestly, there are so many facepalm moments (i.e. the "Wow, Dad...That's Goku...my dad." line that Gohan busts out on Namek) that I would never want to watch it without subs again. As it stands, I'm only 13 episodes away from finally finishing it.

Yu Yu Hakusho's is pretty good, mostly due to nostalgia, but it really isn't bad. Definitely a little silly though.

Clannad I only watched dubbed 'cause it was on Netflix and I hadn't started downloading anime yet. Definitely rewatching with subs at some point, but I thought the dub was good. Some voices were strange, but it wasn't bad as a whole.

And I'm watching Pokemon dubbed, but there aren't any subs for the first seasons, so I'm just gonna watch it dubbed all the way through. Nostalgia.

I've basically realized that I prefer the Japanese voices in general, as I am so used to them. Besides, a lot of anime takes place in Japan, so it's only natural that they're speaking Japanese. The only reason I'll ever watch a dub is if the subs aren't available (only time I've seen this is with Pokemon), or if I have fond memories of the dub (Yu Yu Hakusho).

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Jul 27, 2012 9:27 AM

Aug 2011
PsycoDipicto said:
Tiago97 said:
PsycoDipicto said:
Yu Yu Hakusho.

I just don't think FUNi did it justice, even after they took it from 4Kids' clutches.

It would be hard to, considering the type of comedy One Piece has.
Jul 27, 2012 9:31 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
I am comparing them with the Spanish dubs, so my answer won't probably fit yours, but I think the redub for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and the Porco Rosso (this one specially is one of my favorite dubs) and Only yesterday dubs are better than the original. Whisper of the heart is probably also better, except it fails a little in Seiji's voice.

Death note's is also great. I haven't seen the subbed version, but the voices fit the characters perfectly.

the mimi wo dub changes a key plot point in the story

Jul 27, 2012 9:41 AM

Oct 2010
Enjolras1830 said:
jal90 said:

Whoa, did you watch the Spanish dub for Whisper of the heart? If so, what is that key plot point?
Jul 27, 2012 9:52 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
Enjolras1830 said:
jal90 said:

Whoa, did you watch the Spanish dub for Whisper of the heart? If so, what is that key plot point?

the whole Song Trasltion Plot point i tought you meant the eng dub sorry

Jul 27, 2012 10:37 AM

Jun 2012
Pokemon and DBZ.
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou
Jul 27, 2012 10:39 AM

Jun 2011
Spice and wolf
Black butler
Black lagoon
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Jul 27, 2012 11:53 AM

Sep 2010
Afro Samurai?
You people do know that in order to make a comparison about which audio is better that you need to have heard both audio tracks and for there to be an alternative voice track to be heard...

Jul 27, 2012 11:54 AM
Mar 2011
taketori said:
Pokemon and DBZ.

have ypur heard both

Jul 27, 2012 12:01 PM

Sep 2010
From the what people are using to reason what is better I think any fandub, parody, or abridged series would qualify because of how "awesome" and "cool" they sound.

Awesome and cool are great objective measures of quality btw.

Jul 27, 2012 12:07 PM
Jul 2012
im the wierdo that falls in love with that maka voice from soul eater,
soul eater dub over sub most definitely!
Jul 27, 2012 12:20 PM

Jul 2011
kukojo said:
GITS SAC
Jul 27, 2012 12:34 PM
Jun 2011
Cardcaptors was much better than the sub. Much better VAs and pacing.

4Kids One Piece as well. They really made the show come alive and make it watchable. Sadly Funi has a boring, drab dub with all DBZ actors now.
Jul 27, 2012 12:36 PM

Oct 2011
I remember liking Rurouni Kenshin's dub more than the original, mainly because of Kenshin's ultra feminine voice.
Jul 27, 2012 12:38 PM

Jan 2012
From what I've seen of the American Pokemon dub it censored a lot of stuff/episodes out, changed the character personalities and story, made everyone American and white, and replaced the music. Not sure how anyone can say the dub is better than the original version unless they've never seen it in original Japanese.
Jul 27, 2012 12:43 PM

Jan 2011
anime with europe setting like Spice and Wolf, Gosick, dubs better.
Jul 27, 2012 12:49 PM

Sep 2010
ZaWaldo said:
I remember liking Rurouni Kenshin's dub more than the original, mainly because of Kenshin's ultra feminine voice.

You do know what ultra means right? Kenshin's voice wasn't being acted feminine at all. An ultra feminine voice would mean the actress was trying to sound like a really typical female, which is far from what can be heard in Kenshin. Of course Kenshin was being played somewhat feminine in the anime(look at all the scenes with kids and him doing chores) in order to contrast and distance himself for being the battosai but you'd have to understand the material and context to get that.

Jul 27, 2012 12:54 PM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
Afro Samurai?
You people do know that in order to make a comparison about which audio is better that you need to have heard both audio tracks and for there to be an alternative voice track to be heard...

When I made my short list of recommendations, my thought process was more "dubs that are good" rather than "dubs that are superior to the Japanese w/subs version". I'm aware that Afro Samurai doesn't have a Japanese version (that I know of, at least), but any anime with Samuel L. Jackson as a VA is worth watching.

Also, I swear the original poster is trying to incite a flame war with a thread title like "Dubs that are better than subs?".
Jul 27, 2012 1:02 PM

Sep 2010
spyrocoot said:

When I made my short list of recommendations, my thought process was more "dubs that are good" rather than "dubs that are superior to the Japanese w/subs version".

So you turned "Which anime have better dubs than subs?" into "What are some good dubs that I liked."

It's not a dub v sub thing, it's an issue of cognitive function.

Jul 27, 2012 1:05 PM

Mar 2012
I can't stand dubs, everything sounds 100% cornier.

Shows like Pokemon and YuGiOh I can tolerate, because I've tolerated them all my life :P
Jul 27, 2012 1:05 PM
Jun 2011
Hydrogen said:
Such an odd thing to do; as if they're trying to hide the fact that it's a show from Japan.

"When we get done with these shows, kids wont even know they're from Japan." - Actual quote from CEO of 4Kids

So of course Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Shaman King, and all 4Kids dubs are trash.
Jul 27, 2012 1:07 PM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
spyrocoot said:

When I made my short list of recommendations, my thought process was more "dubs that are good" rather than "dubs that are superior to the Japanese w/subs version".

So you turned "Which anime have better dubs than subs?" into "What are some good dubs that I liked."

It's not a dub v sub thing, it's an issue of cognitive function.

All this abuse for posting Afro Samurai :/
If you're going to argue with me, at least make it something worth arguing for. Most people who create threads tend to put poor titles (or very misleading ones, such as the "How to rate anime!" thread). One can't answer the question "dubs that are better than subs?" without being lynched. Therefore, to prevent getting in a flame war with trolls such as yourself for *gasp* preferring the dub, I simply decided to answer with "dubs that are good" rather than "dubs that are superior".
Jul 27, 2012 1:11 PM

Sep 2010
If we are going to call into question the OP's clarity, then where is the OP being misleading in the title or opening post about what is to be discussed here?

One can answer the question with little reprisal if one understand that a sub/alternative audio track has to exist and be heard in order to make a comparison to.

Jul 27, 2012 1:18 PM

Jul 2012
Considering I always have to switch from the Hetalia dub and sub when I watch the episodes on YouTube, I have to say Hetalia's dub is a lot better then the sub. The English voices give more diversity to the countries and not to mention the dub makes all the jokes that are usually subtitled a lot funnier. As expected from FUNi.
Jul 27, 2012 1:19 PM

Mar 2012
I think the voices for Akira were pretty good (although I like it in Japanese because it feels more realistic) but the downside is that the dubbing itself was AWFUL, it had too many scenes that didn't match up. Especially "THAT'S MR. KANEDA TO YOU PUNK"
lool
Jul 27, 2012 1:20 PM

Feb 2012
smooched said:
I can't stand dubs, everything sounds 100% cornier.

Dubs existed for a very good reason. To keep you focused on the animation itself.
It's funny how most people choose to shut their own eyes as they're actually reading the subtitles instead and being distract from it.

To get the best anime watching experience, start learning Japanese and watch raw episodes :P
Jul 27, 2012 1:22 PM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
One can answer the question with little reprisal if one understands that a sub/alternative audio track has to exist and be heard in order to make a comparison to.

Added in the "s", was driving me mad. Also, please remove the "to" at the end of the sentence, it's hardly necessary.

And that's where you're wrong. I have to be careful with how I word things because it's quite common for users (you and Enjolras specifically) to get rather upset for having a different opinion. Just like in the "sub vs dub" thread the other day, the prospect of not preferring the original to the dub seemed quite alien from your perspective. Alas, I probably shouldn't have mentioned 'Afro Samurai' in my list of recs as it doesn't have a Japanese dub (that I'm aware of), but the English dub is so good that I just couldn't help myself.
Jul 27, 2012 1:22 PM

Mar 2012
Hydrogen said:
Doryuzu said:
From what I've seen of the American Pokemon dub it censored a lot of stuff/episodes out, changed the character personalities and story, made everyone American and white, and replaced the music. Not sure how anyone can say the dub is better than the original version unless they've never seen it in original Japanese.

Not saying people are are referring to the 4kids version, but jeez, you're right about the whole Americanizing thing. Saw a Pokemon episode in the 4kids version a while ago and they actually re-animated and replaced an onigiri with a club sandwich in one scene. Such an odd thing to do; as if they're trying to hide the fact that it's a show from Japan.

"Nothing beats a jelly filled donut!"
Jul 27, 2012 1:24 PM

Feb 2008
smooched said:
Shows like Pokemon and YuGiOh I can tolerate, because I've tolerated them all my life :P

I don't know if you are aware of it, but Yu-Gi-Oh! dub is heavily censored that the whole story is a mess. When I watched the original, it was like watching a completely different show (something like watching Power Rangers and then the Sentai counterpart).

Also Pokemon. The original not only has a great soundtrack featuring remixes of the songs from the game (which was changed in the dub so that all 700episodes have the same songs), but also has tons of famous voice actors.

Like Anime_Name said, you need to watch them both in order to say which one's better, and I doubt that anyone would say that the dub for those two shows is better (unless he loves butchered shows).

Also Dragon Ball Z. Why watch a show with serious voices and characters if you can watch the version of it with silly voices. I mean come on, Gohan is three years old and sounds like a heavy smoker.

There are good dubs, but people always bring up the worst of them. It's because of dubs like these that most dub haters hate dubs.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Pages (17) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you think shoujo/josei romance are usually better than shounen/seinen romance ?

ZXEAN - 48 minutes ago

8 by ZXEAN »»
1 minute ago

» Anime with least plotholes

JoeChip - Yesterday

19 by SgtBateMan »»
2 minutes ago

» Can I have the losing girl?

BerriesSan - Yesterday

12 by W3TFT »»
8 minutes ago

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 )

Deathlydash - Yesterday

77 by feyyazu35 »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » A anime that mention your country? ( 1 2 3 )

torsan88 - Sep 17

100 by aReviewer »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.