Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Feb 2, 2016 11:48 AM

Feb 2015
Because I speak English not Japanese, I assume op doesn't speak Japanese either ( call it a hunch)
Feb 2, 2016 11:50 AM

May 2014
Around the age of 12-17ish I vastly preferred dubs because of a few reasons, not sure if they'll help you any, but here goes:

-I honestly wasn't aware that a lot tends to get changed during the dubbing process until years later when I saw comparison vids and nearly cringed myself into an early grave. (One Piece, and Digimon definitely got hit the hardest, lol :c)

-From the few snippets of subbed stuff I saw during those years, I regrettably did have issues with a few female seiyuus. I probably came across the worst possible examples, but it honestly turned me off to subs in general for a (thankfully) short time. Mostly lookin at the seemingly very serious and stoic characters who get the bubbly voice of a peppy 7 year old.

-For some reason I was irrationally bothered by the idea of somehow missing out on things like intonation and wordplay. I think I still feel like it's easier to get a feel for the characters when the voices you're hearing are your native language, and the words tend to carry more weight. I'm also a sucker for villainous monologues and moving speeches, and while I still get the occasional wow factor from subs while I'm watching, it doesn't stick in my memory because the (voiced) words aren't there and it won't replay like a dubbed scene normally would. Does that make any sense, lol? Nowadays that's the only reason I'd consider re-watching an anime.

Having said that, I've given dubs a very wide berth for a while now, Space Dandy being the most recent that I caught a few episodes of, and it solidified my small (but growing) hatred of dubs. (I'm particularly sad that they changed the OP, why was that necessary?) I feel like when it comes down to people making changes it seems to always be a case of "we don't think american audiences will like/understand/appreciate this, so lets change it to something more american-friendly." and that's a terrible mindset to have, really. 'Cause then we're surrounded by people eating rice balls while callin them jelly donuts, y'know?

p.s; sorry for wall of text, I got carried away.
edited cause I rambled way2much
OatGoblinFeb 2, 2016 5:11 PM
Feb 2, 2016 11:52 AM

Mar 2014
ThatDarnIrishMan said:
Most people I know who don't want to watch anime or movies subbed is because it means they can't focus on the show itself. I know quite a few people who just won't watch subbed anime because it means they spend 90% of their time looking at the bottom inch of the TV and missing the art.
>People be like "I can't focus cuz subs"
>DarnIrishMan
>Irish
>Ireland
>English speaking country
>Dub country

Thank god I was born a bilingual
Lemon said:
Jesus Christ, why are people still necroing this thread? I feel so punished every time I get a notification.
Boredom and not enough creativity to come up with their own topics
ZECHS96 said:
Because I speak English not Japanese, I assume op doesn't speak Japanese either ( call it a hunch)
Having a certain language as your native tongue does not equal wanting to hear that language all the time
Comic_SansFeb 2, 2016 11:57 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 2, 2016 11:54 AM
Aug 2015
Why wouldn't I? I wanna hear English voices. I'm not gonna watch and read at the same time.
Feb 2, 2016 11:57 AM

Nov 2012
Lemon said:
To the people without learning disabilities or visual problems that affect their ability to read subtitles, I ask you this - why?

I dunno, maybe because seiyuus overact and sound like antiquated 1950s actors.

Is authenticity and having the correct intonations and pacing to match the mood not important to you?

>Implying as if the mood can never be matched unless it is exactly the same performance as the original actor; an inherently flawed conclusion.

Does the weird contrast between cultural cues and language not bother you?

I dunno, maybe you should ask yourself that question while watching Hellsing Ultimate or Baccano.

Sub elitists are such blowhards.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Feb 2, 2016 12:11 PM

May 2015
I don't watch them. They are cringy and forced.
Feb 2, 2016 12:33 PM

Sep 2015
Well i speak English so i look for a dub first but sometimes the English actors are terrible so ill change to subbed.
Also if the anime has had controversy ill watch subbed because the dubbed version is more likely to have been censored.
Feb 2, 2016 12:36 PM

Oct 2014
I only watch them when the show is set outside of Japan like Baccano or Hellsing Ultimate, it helps with the immersion.
Feb 2, 2016 3:00 PM

Feb 2015
Comic_Sans said:
ThatDarnIrishMan said:
Most people I know who don't want to watch anime or movies subbed is because it means they can't focus on the show itself. I know quite a few people who just won't watch subbed anime because it means they spend 90% of their time looking at the bottom inch of the TV and missing the art.
>People be like "I can't focus cuz subs"
>DarnIrishMan
>Irish
>Ireland
>English speaking country
>Dub country

Thank god I was born a bilingual
Lemon said:
Jesus Christ, why are people still necroing this thread? I feel so punished every time I get a notification.
Boredom and not enough creativity to come up with their own topics
ZECHS96 said:
Having a certain language as your native tongue does not equal wanting to hear that language all the time

That's Not what I said, my choosing to watch anime in English is a matter preference, as is you preference for watching in Japanese.
Feb 2, 2016 3:10 PM

Mar 2014
ZECHS96 said:
That's Not what I said
Oh really? Let's take a look at your post again
Not a word about preferences, just an empty statement about you preferring it because you speak English, OP you probably don't speak Japanese either, why would you want to watch it in a language you don't understand?

That was totally what you said
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 2, 2016 3:18 PM

Dec 2015
ZECHS96 said:

I am so tired of subs lately. Oh my eyes..........

Feb 2, 2016 3:31 PM

Feb 2015
Comic_Sans said:
ZECHS96 said:
That's Not what I said
Not a word about preferences, just an empty statement about you preferring it because you speak English, OP you probably don't speak Japanese either, why would you want to watch it in a language you don't understand?

Comic_Sans said:
ZECHS96 said:
That's Not what I said

Oh gee forgive me for not elaborating in my initial post
Feb 2, 2016 3:31 PM

Dec 2015
Comic_Sans said:
ZECHS96 said:
That's Not what I said

They chose to watch dub because it's in a language they understand, so what? Why is that a big deal?
Feb 2, 2016 3:36 PM

Mar 2015
Because if you're not watching Cowboy Bebop dubbed you're doing it wrong
Feb 2, 2016 3:47 PM

Mar 2014
ZECHS96 said:
You can "Oh gee" me all you want, that doesn't change the fact that I am right
Starla_Fox said:
They chose to watch dub because it's in a language they understand, so what? Why is that a big deal?
It's not the fact that they watch dubs solely because they understand the language (even if I personally don't really see that as a good reason, but that's a completely different topic) that is the big deal, it's the fact that they seem to assume that everybody else wants to listen to and watch everything in their native tongue(s) as well

Not everybody is from a monolingual dubbing culture country
Comic_SansFeb 2, 2016 3:54 PM
Nico- said:
Feb 2, 2016 3:53 PM

Jun 2015
Subbed isn't unwatchable, but it makes me feel distant from the experience. I just feel more absorbed when I actually hear what the characters are saying rather than having to read text. That's why I prefer watching dubbed. It's easy on the eyes.
Feb 2, 2016 4:01 PM

Feb 2015
Comic_Sans said:
ZECHS96 said:
Starla_Fox said:
It's not the fact that they watch dubs solely because they understand the language (even if I personally don't really see that as a good reason, but that's a completely different topic) that is the big deal, it's the fact that they seem to assume that everybody else wants to listen to and watch everything in their native tongue(s) as well

Ok ,whatever you say Swedish fish:)
Feb 2, 2016 4:03 PM

Mar 2014
ZECHS96 said:
Comic_Sans said:

I'm not a Swedish fish, I'm a Franco Swedish bullshit detector and nationalist
Nico- said:
Feb 2, 2016 4:07 PM

Dec 2013
I can't watch dubs without cringing. Part of it is Japanese voice actors are so much better (of the very few I've tried), but mostly because dubs too strongly resurrect memories of the cheesy kids cartoons I watched growing up - doesn't work to hear Scooby Doo while watching Tex lol.
Feb 2, 2016 4:20 PM

Feb 2015
Comic_Sans said:
ZECHS96 said:

Then be neutral and don't intervene :)
Feb 2, 2016 4:21 PM

Mar 2014
ZECHS96 said:
Comic_Sans said:

I don't really see how that is related to me being a Franco Swedish bullshit detector and nationalist
Nico- said:
Feb 2, 2016 4:25 PM

Feb 2015
Comic_Sans said:
ZECHS96 said:

I don't really see how that is related to me being a Franco Swedish bullshit detector and nationalist

Then be a good swede and don't involve yourself with foreign affairs, i.e. foreign dubs
Feb 2, 2016 4:27 PM

Dec 2015
Gymkata said:
I can't watch dubs without cringing. Part of it is Japanese voice actors are so much better (of the very few I've tried), but mostly because dubs too strongly resurrect memories of the cheesy kids cartoons I watched growing up - doesn't work to hear Scooby Doo while watching Tex lol.

You bend your head and body in fear or in a servile manner from hearing the English language voiced over Japanese made animation? You might want to get that checked out. :/

Feb 2, 2016 4:29 PM

Jun 2015
Gymkata said:

The dub for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is magnificant.
Feb 2, 2016 4:31 PM

Mar 2014
ZECHS96 said:
Comic_Sans said:

Then be a good swede and don't involve yourself with foreign affairs, i.e. foreign dubs
I am a Swedish citizen, I have freedom of speech
Ferocious_Oni said:
You bend your head and body in fear or in a servile manner from hearing the English language voiced over Japanese made animation? You might want to get that checked out. :/
American dubbing companies mostly hire B and C tier voice actors instead of actual cartoon VO actors

I can't really blame him
Nico- said:
Feb 2, 2016 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
Ferocious_Oni said:
Gymkata said:

Not gonna lie... that joke attempt made me cringe. Hard.
Feb 2, 2016 4:39 PM

Jun 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Ferocious_Oni said:
American dubbing companies mostly hire B and C tier voice actors instead of actual cartoon VO actors

I can't really blame him

Yeah. That wouldn't be much of a problem if anime was more recognizable in the west.
Feb 2, 2016 4:39 PM

Feb 2015
Comic_Sans said:
ZECHS96 said:

Ferocious_Oni said:

I can't really blame him

As do I ,as an American... So ABBA what's your point :)
Feb 2, 2016 4:41 PM

Dec 2013
Ferocious_Oni said:
Gymkata said:
... in a servile manner

??? Lmao
And I'm gonna take a wild guess that Engrish isn't your native tongue.
Feb 2, 2016 4:42 PM

Jul 2014
I don't. #SubsMasterRace lolwut pls

Feb 2, 2016 4:42 PM

Mar 2014
AltoRoark99 said:
Comic_Sans said:

I can't really blame him

Yeah. That wouldn't be much of a problem if anime was more recognizable in the west.
Yeah probably
ZECHS96 said:
Comic_Sans said:

I can't really blame him

That I can point out illogical logic and faulty statements all I want

And there's nothing you can do about it

Especially not if you resort to ad hominem
Comic_SansFeb 2, 2016 4:46 PM
Nico- said:
Feb 2, 2016 4:44 PM

Dec 2015
Wensbane said:
Ferocious_Oni said:

Not gonna lie... that wasn't an attempt at a joke. Cringe has become one of the most overused words on the internet this year. :/

I never heard any one say that in public......

Feb 2, 2016 4:45 PM

Dec 2013
AltoRoark99 said:
Gymkata said:

The dub for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is magnificant.

Yeah I've heard that. One of these days I'm going to give dubs a go.
Feb 2, 2016 4:47 PM

Dec 2015
Gymkata said:
I can't watch dubs without cringing. Part of it is Japanese voice actors are so much better (of the very few I've tried), but mostly because dubs too strongly resurrect memories of the cheesy kids cartoons I watched growing up- doesn't work to hear Scooby Doo while watching Tex lol.

The 4kids days are over bruh, get with the times.
Feb 2, 2016 4:52 PM

Mar 2014
I can't watch dubs without cringing. Part of it is Japanese voice actors are so much better (of the very few I've tried), but mostly because dubs too strongly resurrect memories of the cheesy kids cartoons I watched growing up- doesn't work to hear Scooby Doo while watching Tex lol.
The 4kids days are over bruh, get with the times.
Something being the lesser of two evils does not make that thing not evil
Nico- said:
Feb 2, 2016 4:53 PM
Jul 2018
Ferocious_Oni said:
Wensbane said:

Not gonna lie... that wasn't an attempt at a joke. Cringe has become one of the most overused words on the internet this year. :/

Sure, but let's face it, you don't go out much.
Feb 2, 2016 4:57 PM

Dec 2015
Wensbane said:
Ferocious_Oni said:

Sure 13 hours a day outside isn't a lot. :D

Why do you people keep deleting your quotes :s

Feb 2, 2016 4:58 PM

Feb 2015
Comic_Sans said:
AltoRoark99 said:

Yeah probably
ZECHS96 said:

That I can point out illogical logic and faulty statements all I want

And there's nothing you can do about it

Especially not if you resort to ad hominem

I was joking I thought that was obvious, the your faulty logic thing goes both ways, as I don't understand what draws you ( a non native English speaker) to the sub vs dub argument, freedom of speech aside, your strong stance puzzles me, could you please explain it to me?
ChadAznable0079Feb 2, 2016 5:06 PM
Feb 2, 2016 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
Ferocious_Oni said:
Wensbane said:

It's one of life's many mysteries. Like why you get triggered by a popular word.

Some things are better left unanswered.
Feb 2, 2016 5:07 PM

Dec 2015
Wensbane said:
Ferocious_Oni said:

It's one of life's many mysteries. Like why you get triggered by a popular word.

Some things are better left unanswered.

lol you be assuming

I'm just starting discussion. And it has worked great so far.

Feb 2, 2016 5:08 PM

Feb 2015
Because I want to watch anime not read it. If I want to read I'll read manga.
Feb 2, 2016 5:11 PM

Mar 2014
ZECHS96 said:
I was joking I thought that was obvious
One does not simply joke with an advocate of democracy about freedom of speech
the your logic goes both ways, as I don't understand what draws you ( a non native English speaker) to the sub vs dub argument
>Implying only English speaking countries produce dubs
freedom of speech aside, your strong stance puzzles me, could you please explain it to me?
Because

A) I am an advocate of freedom of speech
B) I am part of the anime fandom
C) I like internet arguments
D) I like good voice acting and dislike bad voice acting
E) I dislike logical fallacies
F) I like doing things for the lulz
RedEagle925 said:
Reading a book and watching something with subtitles are two competely different things and thus your post doesn't make sense
Comic_SansFeb 2, 2016 5:15 PM
Nico- said:
Feb 2, 2016 5:20 PM

Feb 2015
Comic_Sans said:
ZECHS96 said:
I was joking I thought that was obvious
One does not simply joke with an advocate of democracy about freedom of speech
the your logic goes both ways, as I don't understand what draws you ( a non native English speaker) to the sub vs dub argument
>Implying only English speaking countries produce dubs
freedom of speech aside, your strong stance puzzles me, could you please explain it to me?
Because

A) I am an advocate of freedom of speech
B) I am part of the anime fandom
C) I like internet arguments
D) I like good voice acting and dislike bad voice acting
E) I dislike logical fallacies
F) I like doing things for the lulz
RedEagle925 said:
Reading a book and watching something with subtitles are two competely different things and thus your post doesn't make sense

My point was I don't like reading because i'm lazy.
Feb 2, 2016 5:23 PM

Mar 2014
My point was I don't like reading because i'm lazy.
Lazy people can also read subs (e.g. me) and t's still incomparable to reading a book
Nico- said:
Feb 2, 2016 5:37 PM

Dec 2015

I rest my case.

Feb 2, 2016 5:40 PM
Dec 2015
I can't listen very well so subs are so much better
me to certain dubs:
Feb 2, 2016 5:47 PM
Jul 2013
It just feels like a good change from reading subs all the time to be honest. After watching a lot of anime subbed I'll find one that people say is really good dubbed
Feb 2, 2016 6:27 PM
Jan 2016
Because some anime are actually good in DUB
Feb 2, 2016 7:54 PM

Nov 2008
A handful of anime from the 90s have much better dubs. In fact, I can't stand to listen to the subbed tracks of:

Tenchi Muyo (it sounds like the JP VAs aren't even TRYING to act, compared to Pioneer's dub)
Night Walker
Nerima Daikon Brothers
Rurouni Kenshin
DBZ (Goku's Japanese voice gives me ear cancer. :(

Feb 2, 2016 8:38 PM

Jun 2014
Because I like them. I think it's kinda cool how most anime DVDs and blurays have a Japanese and English track, since the same product can make both kinds of people happy.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» What does your waifu do under pressure?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

13 by Spunkert »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Why Do People Dislike Chinese Anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ames00 - Apr 1, 2018

416 by alshu »»
18 minutes ago

» Do you think Anime has been a net positive for humanity??

LenRea - 9 hours ago

16 by alshu »»
29 minutes ago

» Have you ever struggled to rate a show?

Jackson1333 - 1 hour ago

9 by Azuchi »»
34 minutes ago

» Misleading, out of context, or outright fake knowledge about various titles ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

50 by thewiru »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.