Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
May 8, 2021 12:25 AM

Nov 2020
While this thread is already saturated with answers, for me personally I'll give 10s to things that have effected me on a personal level (not just anime, entertainment in general). Whether it be through shaping my tastes further, managing to conjure up many feelings, and/or generally effects how I view the world and the things around me, if a piece of entertainment can effect me that much it definitely deserves the highest rating it can get. There can be flaws or things wrong with it, so my 10s are only in a subjective sense and only a 10 to me personally.

If I think something is objectively good and I can't think of many flaws I'll usually limit my rating to an 8 or a 9 (albeit I tend to give those out a lot) seeing as I don't think something can be made perfectly to match everybody's taste, which I guess is the issue with the notion of a "perfect" score, so I imagine that's why many people will throw out 10s just because otherwise it'd be very rare and hard to do.
May 8, 2021 12:27 AM

Sep 2020
if its my biases or i already know its good,or its my opnion first,or i dont want to overuse 5-8 score
May 8, 2021 3:01 AM

May 2010
Because I don't see a 10 as some kinda divine treasure only worthiest of worthy can deserve. If I like something enough to give it a 10, I'll give it a 10.
Hello can you please watch Kitaku-bu Katsudou Kiroku
May 8, 2021 7:27 AM

Jul 2015
LostSpectre said:
I wasn't referring to a criteria or scoring peculiarity, I was referring to the fact they intentionally have their ratings going up from 1 in terms of most watched, with decreasing frequency. I would assume there's additional trolling with giving certain mediocre shows a 10 and more critically acclaimed shows a 1, but that's all secondary and besides the point, they're clearly manipulated and can't be taken seriously, even if some are legitimate scores, there's no way of knowing which is which.

So on top of ignoring the reasons you've been given (maybe he just condensed his 4-1 into 1 and 5-6 into 2 to get more room to differenciate good anime), now you're implying that giving bad rating to popular shows (lets not delude ourselves into talking about critically acclaimed shows when we're actually just talking about top-rated shows on a site that aggregates the ratings of the audience, and not critics) and good ratings to unpopular ones is trolling.

I don't think he assumed you rated your shows with the intent to please the majority and conform to MAL trends or called you a sheep, so it'd be nice if you didn't assume he rates his shows with the intent of doing the opposite, or called him a troll.

Also "I don't watch bad shows" is a common delusion about series/anime watchers. Some people think they have divination skills that allow them to only watch good stuff, when in fact they just refuse to admit they spent 8 hours watching a turd. Or they just... enjoy everything, which is probably a good thing for them, but doesn't scream "critical mind" to others.
DeathkoMay 8, 2021 7:31 AM
May 8, 2021 7:42 AM
Feb 2021
If it lasts for really long in the forefront of my head , I think it deserves a 10
May 8, 2021 7:52 AM

Dec 2015
And why are you handing out 9's so easy.

It would be the same logic, as Fail Tail, Hitman and Bleach is far from a 9/10.
How ever you look at it.

Don't go around and complain about other peoples scoring wihen your list is far from perfect.

Sorry, it dosen't make sense to complain when you are in the same situation, lol.

May 8, 2021 7:52 AM

Feb 2014
85 tens out of 593 completed entries. 14% of my completed anime I scored 10/10. So you have a better chance of guessing the result of a six sided dice roll than getting a 10 from me.
Also, if that seems high, I'll be the first to admit I rate based primarily on how entertained I was and nostalgia inflates a few scores as happy childhood memories get 10/10.
But I also drop shows I'm not interested in
“Villainy?” he interrupted. “My dear child, all that’s mere verbiage, prattle.
Nothing’s villainous if it causes an erection, and the single crime that exists in this world is to refuse anything that might produce a discharge.”
May 8, 2021 7:58 AM

Jan 2013
Ghemotoc said:
LostSpectre said:
I wasn't referring to a criteria or scoring peculiarity, I was referring to the fact they intentionally have their ratings going up from 1 in terms of most watched, with decreasing frequency. I would assume there's additional trolling with giving certain mediocre shows a 10 and more critically acclaimed shows a 1, but that's all secondary and besides the point, they're clearly manipulated and can't be taken seriously, even if some are legitimate scores, there's no way of knowing which is which.

So on top of ignoring the reasons you've been given (maybe he just condensed his 4-1 into 1 and 5-6 into 2 to get more room to differenciate good anime), now you're implying that giving bad rating to popular shows (lets not delude ourselves into talking about critically acclaimed shows when we're actually just talking about top-rated shows on a site that aggregates the ratings of the audience, and not critics) and good ratings to unpopular ones is trolling.

I don't think he assumed you rated your shows with the intent to please the majority and conform to MAL trends or called you a sheep, so it'd be nice if you didn't assume he rates his shows with the intent of doing the opposite, or called him a troll.

Also "I don't watch bad shows" is a common delusion about series/anime watchers. Some people think they have divination skills that allow them to only watch good stuff, when in fact they just refuse to admit they spent 8 hours watching a turd. Or they just... enjoy everything, which is probably a good thing for them, but doesn't scream "critical mind" to others.
No. I'm done. If you don't think his scores are intentionally troll worthy, then I think you're a moron. End of story. Continue your idiocy at your own discretion.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 8, 2021 8:19 AM

Jul 2015
LostSpectre said:
Ghemotoc said:

No. I'm done. If you don't think his scores are intentionally troll worthy, then I think you're a moron. End of story. Continue your idiocy at your own discretion.

Ok, but then I'll think your ratings intentionally align with MAL's scores in order to gain validation from internet strangers. Just checked your list, I'm struggling to find shows that deviate from MAL's mean by more than 1.5. And maybe that's actually the case considering how much you seem to care about others' ratings, and your whole blabla about misrating "critically acclaimed shows"

BTW so far your participation to this thread has been calling someone a troll based on their ratings, and calling people who disagree with you morons. I'm not sure what you're trying to do here, but you should probably chill about that rating bullshit lol.
DeathkoMay 8, 2021 8:23 AM
May 8, 2021 8:22 AM

Jan 2013
Ghemotoc said:
LostSpectre said:

Ok, but then I'll think your ratings intentionally align with MAL's scores in order to gain validation from internet strangers. Just checked your list, I'm struggling to find shows that deviate from MAL's mean by more than 1.5.

And maybe that's actually the case considering how much you seem to care about others' ratings, and your whole blabla about misrating "critically acclaimed shows"
You can be as stupid as you want to be, it's none of my concern. I'm not going to try and further explain to you why an obvious troll is an obvious troll.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 8, 2021 8:25 AM

Jul 2015
LostSpectre said:
Ghemotoc said:

Ok, but then I'll think your ratings intentionally align with MAL's scores in order to gain validation from internet strangers. Just checked your list, I'm struggling to find shows that deviate from MAL's mean by more than 1.5.

And maybe that's actually the case considering how much you seem to care about others' ratings, and your whole blabla about misrating "critically acclaimed shows"
You can be as stupid as you want to be, it's none of my concern. I'm not going to try and further explain to you why an obvious troll is an obvious troll.

Just scrolled through his list, it's very consistent and coherent. I could spell what he likes and doesn't to you since you're apparently unable of doing it yourself, but that'd probably hurt your ego, considering I'm stupid and a moron.
But keep throwing insults and calling people trolls because your precious feelings have been hurt by their ratings lmao.
May 8, 2021 8:26 AM

Apr 2017
Based on my principle nothing can earn a 10, because 10 indicates masterpiece and every piece of media has flaws
May 8, 2021 8:28 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Nillwas said:

How ever you look at it.

Don't go around and complain about other peoples scoring wihen your list is far from perfect.

Sorry, it dosen't make sense to complain when you are in the same situation, lol.
The fuck. I am not complaining, I was just intrigued by the rationale of putting so many 10s in your list. I never even implied about taste and whatnot. Instead, you are the one trying to look down on me based on my ratings lmao. Also,

> My list is far from perfect
So is everybody else's. Your list is utter shit from my perspective.

> However you look at it.
Maybe try to see from the perspectives of millions of people who are fans of these?

"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 8, 2021 8:37 AM

Sep 2016
"If it makes me watch remaining episodes, it is an easy 10/10"
"If I enjoy it, it is an easy 10/10"
other bullshit reasons

Morons.

May 8, 2021 8:37 AM

Jul 2015
cchigu said:
Nillwas said:

How ever you look at it.

The fuck. I am not complaining, I was just intrigued by the rationale of putting so many 10s in your list. I never even implied about taste and whatnot. Instead, you are the one trying to look down on me based on my ratings lmao. Also,

> My list is far from perfect
So is everybody else's. Your list is utter shit from my perspective.

> However you look at it.
Maybe try to see from the perspectives of millions of people who are fans of these?

I love how he didn't understand the topic one bit and instead jumped straight to trashing you for your taste when it's completely off-topic lmao.

Ganbare OP
May 8, 2021 8:38 AM

Jan 2013
Ghemotoc said:
LostSpectre said:

Just scrolled through his list, it's very consistent and coherent. I could spell what he likes and doesn't to you since you're apparently unable of doing it yourself, but that'd probably hurt your ego, considering I'm stupid and a moron.
But keep throwing insults and calling people trolls because your precious feelings have been hurt by their ratings lmao.
Consistent and coherent my ass, now I know you're full of shit. You can just stop, you're not going to change my mind, further discussion is pointless.
May 8, 2021 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
I just go by whatever I will put in a tier list at S tier = 10, because nothing's truly perfect
May 8, 2021 9:41 AM

Feb 2021
If I can rewatch it all with a smile on my face then it’s a 10/10.
May 8, 2021 9:47 AM

Jan 2013
cchigu said:
Shouldn't 10/10 your ultimate standard?
I talk more shit about my 10/10s than any other rating lol. Funny how that works.
ChandelaMay 8, 2021 9:51 AM
May 8, 2021 9:49 AM

Jan 2011
i will never understand this outside of simple fans being simple i love this thing 10/10 without much thought but i digress , i've only given 3 shows 10s the rest are meme 10s
May 8, 2021 10:17 AM

Dec 2015
@cchigu, my list might be shit.

But at least I'm not creating forum post to try to shit on how people are scoring like someone else. To try look like my list is acually is better then it is.

I can't understand the logic on giving Fail Tail, Bleach and Hitman a 9/10 and at the same time telling people that they are giving out to high scores to easy.

And it's rather hilarious that you can tell someone that they got shity taste while you , you'r self haven't even watched 30% of the list.

I love you'r logic bro, trying to bend reality to shit on others.
NillwasMay 8, 2021 10:28 AM

May 8, 2021 10:18 AM

Sep 2016
katsu044 said:
i will never understand this outside of simple fans being simple i love this thing 10/10 without much thought but i digress , i've only given 3 shows 10s the rest are meme 10s

and then people wonder why garbage has 8s, good shows 5s and why rating website providers made their systems so dumb

May 8, 2021 10:24 AM
Jul 2016
There are some stories where I will enjoy it but think it's only okay, maybe I would give it 7/10 or 8/10 immediately after watching it. But a few month/years later I will still be thinking about it and maybe then I will realize it was a 10/10.
May 8, 2021 10:30 AM

Aug 2017
oh yeah, it wouldn't be good 'ole MAL without the users nitpicking about how other users rate the anime that they watch. people can rate however they want, watch your anime and deal with it.

InspectorLunge said:
There is no objective methodology of giving ratings; Yes; the scale is from 1-10 but most people don't really utilize the entire scale and that's theirs subjective way of rating which is not against the rules.

also this ^

To answer your question: I am quite picky with the anime that I watch. I am not a seasonal watcher or an anime fan that watches everything that comes out to check them out, I take my time and only watch shows that really really intrigue me. Hence it would explain why I have a high mean score.
May 8, 2021 10:44 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Nillwas said:
@cchigu, my list might be shit.

But at least I'm not creating forum post to try to shit on how people are scoring like someone else. To try look like my list is acually is better then it is.

I can't understand the logic on giving Fail Tail, Bleach and Hitman a 9/10 and at the same time telling people that they are giving out to high scores to easy.

And it's rather hilarious that you can tell someone that they got shity taste while you , you'r self haven't even watched 30% of the list.

I love you'r logic bro, trying to bend reality to shit on others.

>But at least I'm not creating forum post to try to shit on how people are scoring
Once again, when did I ever shit on people for scoring however they wanted?? Please try to read what I said once again. And if you still feel that I was mocking people then more power to you.

>I can't understand the logic on giving Fail Tail, Bleach and Hitman a 9/10 and at the same time telling people that they are giving out to high scores to easy.
If you can't then why go out of your own way to personally attack people's taste?

>And it's rather hilarious that you can tell someone that they got shity taste while you , you'r self haven't even watched 30% of the list.
Yep, my comment was underhanded, I personally try to refrain from this taste-shaming bullshit but not gonna lie, your post triggered the shit out of me.

>I love you'r logic bro, trying to bend reality to shit on others.
You are creating your own fantasy inside your head that I am shitting on people's taste with this forum. I have nothing to say about that.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 8, 2021 10:55 AM

Jun 2020
because my rating system is kinda dumb
its an insta +5 points if i watched it till the end
and another 5 depending on enjoyment
May 8, 2021 11:03 AM

Feb 2018
I don't, and I have a feeling if I were to rewatch them the majority would become 9s. I'm not as strict with giving out 8s and 9s if I think they deserve those scores, and they prob wouldn't drop by much if I rewatched them. Unless my opinion of the series changes a good amount after finishing it, usually I'm not going to bother thinking about the rating too much since I have a general scoring system that works for me, overthinking is a waste of time and its not worth it if most of the scores I change are only going to go up or down 1. Having Anilist where I can make specific decimal scores also helps since it shows such as the difference between a 7.5 series and 8.4 series. It's the same case with my lowest scored anime, where the majority don't go under 3.
TheFlyingOrangeMay 8, 2021 11:07 AM
May 8, 2021 11:10 AM

Jul 2015
Why not, actually there aren't many anime series that are a true ten anyway.
May 8, 2021 11:14 AM

Oct 2020
i've never gave a 10 because i've never seen an anime with nothing wrong

May 8, 2021 11:17 AM

Jan 2021
10, for me is something that i think is an absolute masterpiece and to this day I only have 3 tens
May 8, 2021 11:19 AM
Feb 2021
i totally agree. i also haven't given any a 10/10 because there is no such anime as masterpiece. every anime has something it lacks. in other words, there is no anime worthy of calles 'The Perfect Anime'.
May 8, 2021 11:26 AM

Aug 2017
Kijdenvoot said:
Because I don't see a 10 as some kinda divine treasure only worthiest of worthy can deserve.

basically this. I think it'd be odd to consider 10 as being the ultimate masterpiece and everything else as below it. with that though you could stretch it more to consider 10 as being the top of each genre of show, but imo there are genres that could have many shows that could be considered the epitome of the genre equally.

at the end of the day it doesn't matter, right? someone giving out 10s just because they liked it enough to finish instead of dropping it and someone thinking that everything has flaws so nothing deserves a 10 are both understandable ways of doing it. just gotta remember that other people will give scores based on different reasons so you shouldn't look at someone's list and assume their 4 or 8 means the same as your 4 or 8.
May 8, 2021 11:28 AM

Jul 2020
Vaguelyweebish said:
I think it's because that uncritical mentality of "everyone can enjoy what they want" has really taken root in recent years. People don't want to be challenged or think anymore. If they're entertained, that's enough for them, no matter how many plot holes or unlikable characters there are.

As I've been getting into rating media more I've come to realize that I definitely come across as a snob--but is that really a bad thing? I have been personally attacked for having contrarian views and not "letting people enjoy what they enjoy." People don't want to be criticized anymore because there's this general agreement about what is accepted as good and what is bad, and it becomes very easy to bow to pressure.

I guess I'm so critical because I actually want people to think about the true quality of media. But most people don't want to do that, even if they can't truly explain why they gave a series a 10.
They're just Japanese cartoons. You can think critically on your own time, but that's not what most people are looking for.
May 8, 2021 12:09 PM

Feb 2020
what do you mean i have only given 2 anime a 10 :(
May 8, 2021 12:59 PM
Feb 2019
My mean score is a 9.97. Pass/Fail. Also im a demon.
May 8, 2021 1:17 PM
May 2017
Because it does not hurt to evaluate an anime (or a manga) in a subjective way. MyAnimeList does not obligate its users to evaluate anime/manga in a objective way, following measurable and technical factors.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 8, 2021 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
A 10 is a well crafted anime which is both inventive (with animation, tropes, characters, etc.) and has soul (hard to say what qualifies that). To be honest I'm surprised I've only rated as many as I have 10, despite the fact I've scored more as a 10 than most.
May 8, 2021 2:53 PM
Sep 2019
I have given out plenty of 10's but some of them aren't exactly 10's but I liked them enought to not want to give them a 9.
May 8, 2021 3:01 PM
May 2016
I'm very generous in terms of my ratings since 30 of my top 50 are 10s

I'm also stubborn
May 8, 2021 3:20 PM

Feb 2021
when i watch an anime usually i hyper focus on it and overlook any flaw in it so i try to rate it later, if it had an impact on me or if i can't find any major flaw in it i will give it from 8 to 10 if i find it even one bit boring i wont give it more than an 8, and more than 3 episodes in a row ae a little boring i'll give it a 7 or 7.5(placed in the comments to the right of the show) personally i don't give up too much 10's since after a while if i realize that the show wasn't so good i will change the score, the only ones that i think will stand in my 10/10 forever are probably the made in abyss franchise, given, hunter x hutner and devilman crybaby, maybe fate/zero second season too. but personally my 10/10s aren't necessairly my favourites, my favourites are anime i think are unique and of wich i love every charachter, or like with the ratings i am watching so i filter everything that i would consider negative, that is a positive thing since i hate female nudity and that someho let me watch kill la kill or no game no life ignoring every baath scene or removing it from my memory until i think back on the show.
May 8, 2021 9:03 PM

Jan 2013
Ghemotoc said:
LostSpectre said:

Just want you to know I looked through his list again and it's way worse than I remembered, tons of classic anime being scored a 1, while Smartphone in Another World is a 10, I would sincerely hope he's a troll, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, if his scores are 100% genuine then his taste is absolute fucking dog shit, so unspeakably awful that I couldn't even hope to ever comprehend it. Luckily, his scores are clearly just trolling, only an idiot would actually take that shit seriously, he puts it right in his fucking sig for a reason, duh!
May 9, 2021 1:40 AM

Dec 2020
SHUT UP. I don't care about your opinions, and neither will anyone else here. You can't change anybody's rating system, because it's just that, their's.

My personal belief is that your average should be as close to 5.5 as possible, only because that is the exact average of the scale, but if you like anime more than that, and you're not a critic, you do you chief.

At the end of the day, the rating system is just there to show what a person personally enjoyed :), and some might just enjoy life and or anime more than you lmao, and enjoy most everything they see. I'm jealous of that myself lol, not mad.
May 9, 2021 2:45 AM
Dec 2015
i give them 10 if i really enjoy enjoyed it regardless of its flaws, i also give 10 for shows i think is really great but i didnt much enjoy it. i dont want to stress myself on how a give score to the shows ive watched, i liked and enjoyed it easy 10 for me. i
May 9, 2021 3:20 AM

Feb 2017
mal score will always be a joke. most of this website user don't give a shit to actually "rating".

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
May 9, 2021 4:33 AM

Jul 2015
LostSpectre said:
Ghemotoc said:

Just want you to know I looked through his list again and it's way worse than I remembered, tons of classic anime being scored a 1, while Smartphone in Another World is a 10, I would sincerely hope he's a troll, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, if his scores are 100% genuine then his taste is absolute fucking dog shit, so unspeakably awful that I couldn't even hope to ever comprehend it. Luckily, his scores are clearly just trolling, only an idiot would actually take that shit seriously, he puts it right in his fucking sig for a reason, duh!

Oh no it's the butthurt kid who came back to insult people over ratings some more. Glad to see you missed me that much.

He obviously likes anything with titties and/or edgy or full of lolies. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Your classics can suck a dead rat's asses. He rated lots of things I love and consider as classic 1, do you see me throwing a tantrum like a 4 yo? Do you see me trashing you for having Elfen Lied 6/10? Man that show was a giant turd for edgy teens, you must be trolling (^%

Cry moar in bad S;G ratings, it's hilarious to watch. Also forgive me for the childish insults, I'm trying to get on your level. Seems more entertaining than simply reporting you for being an asshole. You're a typical mainstream sheep, and the reason why everybody here think the FMAB fanbase should be trown in a pit and buried alive lol.
DeathkoMay 9, 2021 4:45 AM
May 9, 2021 4:43 AM
Jul 2018
MHAisTrueKing said:
I rate anime based on my enjoyment. So, all boring anime deserves a 1, even if it has no flaws.

Isn't being boring, in itself, a flaw?
May 9, 2021 4:47 AM
Jul 2018
That's because when I click on the "select" option of "your score", then among the list of the scores, "10" is the first one and I am too lazy to scroll with the mouse, so I just click the first one which is 10
May 9, 2021 9:41 AM

Jan 2013
Ghemotoc said:
LostSpectre said:

Oh no it's the butthurt kid who came back to insult people over ratings some more. Glad to see you missed me that much.

He obviously likes anything with titties and/or edgy or full of lolies. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Your classics can suck a dead rat's asses. He rated lots of things I love and consider as classic 1, do you see me throwing a tantrum like a 4 yo? Do you see me trashing you for having Elfen Lied 6/10? Man that show was a giant turd for edgy teens, you must be trolling (^%

Cry moar in bad S;G ratings, it's hilarious to watch. Also forgive me for the childish insults, I'm trying to get on your level. Seems more entertaining than simply reporting you for being an asshole. You're a typical mainstream sheep, and the reason why everybody here think the FMAB fanbase should be trown in a pit and buried alive lol.
Sorry, I just can't fathom ever being this stupid, imagine thinking he isn't just trolling people, couldn't be me. Cheers.
May 9, 2021 9:49 AM

Jul 2015
LostSpectre said:
Ghemotoc said:

Sorry, I just can't fathom ever being this stupid, imagine thinking he isn't just trolling people, couldn't be me. Cheers.

Yes yes stick to watching every "critically acclaimed" anime and rating them 7/10 like a good sheep, you'll avoid the retards who call you a troll for your ratings.
May 9, 2021 11:08 AM

Jun 2019
I don't believe I do. I only award it to top favorites; that much goes without saying. I've only extended it to 7 series and one film (I count technically separate entries for the same series whether they're for additional seasons after the first or for films which are part of the series as all a subset of the main series and falling under that same 10 as far as tallying up goes).

I don't consider 7 series given a 10/10 rating out of the 138 watched series (excluding Currently Watching and paused/On-Hold series, as I never rate something I haven't finished in totality) I'm up to at this point to be at all excessive or cheapened.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Can you suggest some anime that would be great to watch with a girl-friend

Gashadokur0 - 1 hour ago

12 by NightVampire »»
3 minutes ago

» Which one would you prefer

JoeChip - Yesterday

30 by Nirinbo »»
8 minutes ago

» Who is your Favorite Waifu in Pokémon?

Jackof-allspades - 5 hours ago

23 by Gator »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Will Wit Studio be more successful in money for the next 5 years?

GoatPieceLuffy - 1 hour ago

3 by ZXEAN »»
16 minutes ago

» How to deal with anime backlog??

Xenofight - May 22

36 by Xenofight »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.