Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 27, 2020 12:37 AM

Nov 2011
while the animation was great, i didnt like the style they used that much, plus this wasnt that important of a villain to use that budget, it was one of the lamest characters to appear in black clover and there was no buildup to the fight so it wasnt that inpactfull as apparently the drector/animation staff thought ,

kinda feels like a waste of budget when they could have used the same style they use for yami fights, and keep a bit of budget for using in other episodes, since im pretty sure theyll be back to that shitty animation they use all the time
becoolApr 27, 2020 12:42 AM
- Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.

- The biggest challenge in life is being yourself… In a world trying to make you like everyone else
May 7, 2020 8:58 PM

Dec 2007
What a mind blowing episode. I may not be the biggest fan of Black Clover but this episode is changing my mind fast!
I hope more like this is to come during my marathon :)
Asta at the end tho was nuts!! lol
May 16, 2020 5:44 AM

Mar 2019
Damn.This episode is as I remembered it,full of action.The fight is still a mistery to me.Is that good animation or bad animation??I mean,Mob did something like this too but it was better.And I still don't like the last part.It's just too scary.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jun 1, 2020 4:18 AM
Dec 2013
Wow! What an episode! Movie-quality, fluid, sakuga animation! Easily the best looking episode of Black Clover! The animation in this episode was phenomenal! Hoping for more episodes of BC that look like this in the future. It's comparable to episode 58 of Yu Yu Hakusho and episode 85 of Naruto Shippuden (along with the other Naruto episodes with sakuga animation), and like in those 2 episodes, the action scene in this episode was incredible! Way to go, Studio Pierrot! This is why Pierrot is one of my favourite anime studios. If only they made an episode that looked like this in Sousei no Onmyouji.
wildhoodJun 1, 2020 1:51 PM
Jun 27, 2020 10:01 AM
Mar 2017
The last part reminds me evangelion ffs
Aug 22, 2020 10:24 AM

Apr 2017
This is what I understand when people talk about hot garbage... what (for now) I think it's the highlight of the arc and the animation and art were AWFUL most of the time. I was really excited with what was happening with Asta and everything but they ruined it... if they wanted to experiment, they could have done so with any other episode. I'll keep watching BC, just hope they are merciful and don't push this Paint garbage down our throats again.
Sep 5, 2020 4:56 AM

Nov 2018
The animation was fucking sick, though the art might be a little bit questionable, kinda reminds me of Naruto vs Pain. By the looks in the comments, it seems that people still don't know what the difference between art and animation is, smh.

Really hype episode.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Nov 4, 2020 7:01 AM

Sep 2013
People here saying the animation was bad,bruh most you guys can't even make a stickman move.
Deep dark fantasies
Dec 20, 2020 7:25 PM
Nov 2020
Fuck this was shit, the background animation looked like it was done in Microsoft paint lol. Its funny when people who love this show are so used to the shity animation that they think the fight in this was good.

I'm not shiting on the story of this show, I think its fine. I know it's a weekly anime but its undeniable that the animation in this show is garbage most of the time
Jan 8, 2021 5:23 PM

Dec 2013
They really went all out with the animation in this episode. I've never been a big fan of this over the top style but this fight was still fun to watch.

The queen of witches really is op with her magic. Asta looked terrifying at the end!
Jan 26, 2021 6:01 PM
May 2019
Hm... Probably not the studios' desire, but this episode remembered me Devilman Crybaby animation and action scenes (but without its charm).
That's not the only thing that went off, nowadays the characters' anatomy and physiognomy are never right; they're draw irregularly threw the season with not proportional bodies.

Well, at least, the Witch Queen explained us about Asta's dark power and about what she was doing during the whole fight.
Apr 10, 2021 11:32 AM

Feb 2008
This would have been one of the best fights of black clover, but the art of the animation was awful...

And was 13 animators....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwZvdcC4AE
Sh1nr4xDDDApr 10, 2021 11:36 AM

Apr 22, 2021 11:24 AM
Aug 2020
HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!

Black Clover never had the best animation, not terrible by any means but passable for a TV shounen battle anime. However, the animation in this episode looked so fucking amazing that I felt like I was watching a completely different show!

Like seriously, what happened? That incredible fight scene, the stylized, abstract style in certain scenes, are you sure this is Black Clover? THIS is the generic shounen anime that people have been bashing until a few months ago? I mean don't get me wrong, I did like the series up to now, I even enjoyed the first few episodes even though that was when the series was starting to get massive backlash, but this? Fuck it. I bumping up my rating from a 7 to a 9. Sure, it's just one episode, but fuck it. This was exhilarating!
May 19, 2021 1:13 PM

Jul 2020
Those who are saying the art was good in this episode are very clearly trippin.Sad to see they have to completely deny themselves to defend this show.
Imagine if I was a Manga reader,I would've hated the background art even more than before.
ScordoloMay 19, 2021 1:16 PM

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 11, 2021 10:56 PM

Jun 2020
There it is the awakening finally happened, Damn there actually was a demon dwelling inside Asta as we've seen so far when he passed out

This episode really was full of action the scenes were so hype It's like I can't keep up with them, At least Asta can still control himself and still decides for himself I got a little nervous when he was looking like killing Ladros but he's still conscious of his actions which I was relieved to see

I knew the Queen wouldn't let this opportunity go she was planning on taking the anti-magic all along she's really powerful at that moment and quite frightening.
Jul 3, 2021 10:10 PM

Jan 2021
This was different that animation was not what I was expecting but it wasn’t bad either and that part when Asta met the demon that was cool and ya great episode
Jul 4, 2021 11:13 PM

Dec 2012
Asta's in darkness. Sakuga Clover.
What is that?
His closest companion?
The sky.
Dat transformation.
Akuma.
WTF is this fight?
Dat cut.
His bloodline?
Asta's not special and that's what makes him special.
Dat Black Meteorite.
Asta won.
The Queen appears.
Execution ground?
She's controlling Asta.
Kill everyone?
Dat ending.

LMAO What. An. Episode. I'm watching the BD, btw. Asta finally awakens. Took forever, thought it appearing the past OP's were just for show.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jul 27, 2021 9:48 AM
Nov 2012
I'm sorry but this is terrible. I understand what they were going for, but... why? In the manga Asta basically just oneshots the dude. So why change it into some epic fight when you clearly don't have the budget/talent to do it justice? Baffling.
Jul 27, 2021 12:27 PM

Jan 2018
MonkeyShines said:
I'm sorry but this is terrible. I understand what they were going for, but... why? In the manga Asta basically just oneshots the dude. So why change it into some epic fight when you clearly don't have the budget/talent to do it justice? Baffling.

this is the most common misconception about anime and animation in general. it's not about budget or talent, Pierrot has a lot of it. It's all about time/schedule in making these episodes. Black Clover is one of the unfortunate anime where it's production schedule is the worst you could have imagine. For comparison Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer got 2 years of pre-production whie Black Clover staffs got only 6 months before it air back in 2017 and being a weekly anime for almost 4 years didn't help either. That's terrible by any standards. But soon you'll notice in upcoming episodes espcially on bigger fights, the animation quality improves over the time and that's because BC staffs really love the anime and want to present it the best they can do despite the hellish schedule.
Jul 28, 2021 7:06 AM

Mar 2015
Oh wow that's where all the animation budget went LOL nice one!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 14, 2021 6:10 AM
Sep 2019
This was a banger episode
Oct 24, 2021 11:20 AM

May 2015
Queen is manupulating Asta! Everyone run! :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 11, 2021 1:32 AM

Jul 2015
No wonder the animation sucked so horribly in previous eps, all the budget went into this although while the sakuga animation was godtier, I'm not a big fan of the distorted artstyle.

Demon form Asta was pretty cool and also refreshing how he was still in control compared to other shounen protagonists who lose control.

Nov 21, 2021 9:23 AM

Jan 2021
Man, demon form Asta is an unstoppable powerhouse!! Hands down the best animated ep till date!! People be complaining about the animation style but imo it was quite innovative, the frames were made fluid intentionally to resonate along with the fast pace🔥🔥

Plus I had seen this coming from our bitch Witch Queen, she just seemed too shady of a character to be on the good side.

Feb 12, 2022 4:15 AM
Jul 2020
Literally ms paint animation LMAO. And is also very all over the place. 1 second you would get a low frame, next second high frame, then next second ms paint. Personally would've settled with a semi slideshow of an animation but they decided to make a sakuga out of it yet ripping out the entirety of the fight scene. I could barely even follow up with their movements lol.

I wonder how strong the witch queen is thou..yami level? Or greater than yami?
laaalaFeb 12, 2022 4:20 AM
Feb 18, 2022 10:22 AM
Feb 2022
Esperaba mas de la animación en la transformación y pelea de Asta.
Feb 27, 2022 4:21 AM
Jul 2018
Devil men crybaby vibes and animation was like mob & naruto anime.
My favorite episode so far because I love animation like this, and again what a cliffhanger!!
Mar 14, 2022 6:40 AM

Jun 2020
Asta’s transformation was really sick & the fight was (tbh I didn’t really care for it......I can’t even tell if it’s stylistic or LAZY with them at this point lol) but my favourite part was after the fight & the Witch Queen revealing her true intentions. The OST is so lousy but I liked the Witch Queen’s OST!!

Fana & Mars so cuteㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ♡

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

May 30, 2022 9:23 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Just gonna say that while it's far from being as clean a fight as something of the likes such as Saitama vs Boros, it certainly was quite a sight to see at least for Black Clover standards. What's actually happening is more important than how it looks, and that is the demon within Asta unleashed. Or at least, half-unleashed? Usually you'd think that a demon residing in an anime character's body is going to pose as a huge problem. But to my pleasant surprise, Asta is still pretty much in control and has kept his demon at bay despite being able to use quite a large extent of its powers. Whether eventually it will end up controlling him is still up in the air, but something like that would be terribly cliché. Him developing a relationship with his demon would also be somewhat cliché, but that would be more interesting to see. I want to see Asta go berserk again, but not go out of control. And despite this earth-shattering fight, the fight is far from over, and in fact the real fight has probably just begun, with what looks to be the strongest character in this arc to have arrived on the battlefield after spectating it all this time.

It's not just the fight that attention was given to though. This whole episode looks better than usual, there's more motion, everything feels more defined. Like the rotating shot around Vanessa as she's on the blood-stake thing, as well as Noelle slowly shaking her head in fear and disbelief as an Asta controlled by the witch queen slowly moves toward her to execute her. You don't need a big explosive battle once every arc. Just little things like these scattered throughout alone make animation feel that much more solid.

edit:

While I do appreciate them giving us one continuous sequence of action, un-interrupted by any significant backstories or monologues, if this is true that the above happens in the manga, I would have much preferred that instead of what we got. Pour your heart and soul out into a few seconds of Asta one-shotting Ladros and make it f*cking spectacular, instead of spreading the time and work over several minutes and making it appear borderline half-assed.
BetaMaleUltraMay 30, 2022 9:35 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 7, 2022 5:09 AM

Jul 2016
ropiel said:
People here saying the animation was bad,bruh most you guys can't even make a stickman move.

Yep. So many whiners.
Aug 18, 2022 9:52 AM

Apr 2021
fanbase that cannot accept that there are opinions and opinions. Worse than the perception I had of this episode was the arrogance of the guys here. Nobody is obligated to know everything about the industry. Knowing the difference pointed out here doesn't change the fact that they hated the episode and that's okay. No one is wrong to dislike this.
Sep 1, 2022 5:33 AM
Jul 2018
this episode is truly amazing and the Animation was spectacular the art could've been better but it's still amazing
removed-userOct 16, 2022 1:45 AM
Oct 21, 2022 5:06 PM
Oct 2022
ehm asta, tutto bene? ho visto delle anomalie tipo asta dell'oscurità
Nov 23, 2022 3:59 PM

Mar 2010
After that abhorrent disgusting animation... I wanted to drop this shit lolz

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 7, 2022 2:25 PM
Mar 2021
this crazy right here bro
Dec 20, 2022 1:12 PM

Jan 2021
The animation was weird yet so good at the same time. I wouldn't call it bad but it was a bit hard to follow at some scenes. Anyways I actually loved this episode.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jan 26, 2023 9:16 AM
Feb 2021
Animation, just animation man...
Feb 8, 2023 10:18 AM
Apr 2021
holy fucking animation god damn. PEAK Black Clover so far Sheesh
Apr 28, 2023 5:22 PM
Apr 2023
I'm going to split my discussion of this episode into two parts: art/animation and story/characters.

Art/Animation:
While most people have given heavy props in this category, there's still some disagreement and a fair amount of people who think it was the worst thing ever. Personally, I feel the animation was quite intriguing - not the best I've seen in anime by a longshot, but fairly well-done by Black Clover standards.

As far as the art goes, it's certainly... different. I can understand the people who don't care for it much, since the style is a little "simpler". Despite this, though, a part of me is drawn to how it looks... they did a good job considering their time/budget constraints. They definitely could have done worse (some scenes in Shippuden come to mind). You can definitely tell they still made a compromise that probably wouldn't have happened with a movie's timeline/budget, but out of all the "minimal" artstyles they could have chosen, what they went with was an interesting choice. I don't feel they dropped the ball at all.

Story/Characters:
I personally ascribe much more meaning to this than art/animation. No matter how sakuga an anime is, if the story doesn't hold up, I'll only like it so much. And sadly, it falls pretty flat in this episode.

I didn't expect too much from this series given its reputation as a generic battle shonen with nothing particularly novel to offer, some questionable writing choices earlier on in the series, and the repetitive arc structure up until this point that's been somewhat reminiscent of Fairy Tail. That being said, the last few arcs in and of themselves have been rather enjoyable. This arc had also shaped up to be quite interesting, and while I'm still fond of the general premise, I'm not too hot on Asta's power-up.

I understand his demon form isn't really an asspull (unlike a couple of things earlier on in the series) since this has been foreshadowed since Episode 1, but seriously, the sheer amount of power he amasses as quickly as it does surely makes it feel like one. It's just... jarring. I've seen enough anime in my life where powerups like this feel incredibly cliche. And I've had this sensation more than once in this series. I also take exception to the power/consequence balance that results from this, which several other anime handle better - but I will save that discussion for the next episode's discussion thread, as there are details that I incorporate into my position that are beyond the scope of this episode.

From a narrative standpoint, this also kind of spoils the whole "kid without magic makes his way in a world where magic is everything" / "hard work can beat out pure talent from birth" premise. I watch this anime together with another person, and they've often remarked at how he likes the idea of a super-hard-working muscular guy with swords that negate magic in the setting the author has set up for us. After watching this episode (and the next few), this very plot and character-important detail... feels a lot, lot less relevant, very, very quickly. I think he's more against the idea of a demon form than I am - I'd have preferred if it was a gradual, well-fleshed-out rise-to-power with several obstacles the main character would have had to overcome, but instead we get this.

I also don't particularly like how the anime portrays his demonic "spirit" as a form of anti-magic, when it doesn't differ from magic in any meaningful way besides its negation properties. This "demonic energy" or whatever still grants him several out-of-this-world abilities, such as manifesting black/red spiritual energy in the form of a demon, body marks, throwing black lightning around, turning the entire sky as far as the horizon at least pitch black... "I don't have magic btw!"

I've noticed some people opine that the powerup felt wasted on such an "unimportant" villain as this one - while I also understand where this point of view comes from, I somewhat disagree. If anything, it's "refreshing", in the words of some people so far in this thread, that this powerup wasn't one that came from the last most epic battle against the worst villain in the arc - in fact, it's that very villain herself that facilitated it! I also wouldn't write Ladros off as utterly irrelevant. Yes, he's one of the "lesser" villains, but he was still pretty cool.

It's also worth noting that, without much explanation, Ladros' firepower is portrayed as "notably more powerful" than the spirit he stole it from, even when said spirit lost a ton of power from getting sliced in half by Asta in the past couple episodes. So... you're telling me that Asta hardcore kicked his ass (even more so in the manga) in spite of this fact? Let's not forget that Salamander laid waste to a significant portion of the village in one of the episodes. For such immense power-leveling-up to happen so quickly is just...

Oh, and regarding the manga. I haven't read it myself, but apparently, there was no "fight" between Asta and Ladros after his powerup - only a one-hit KO on Asta's part. This strikes one part of me as even more ridiculous than the scenario in the anime where Ladros is at least fighting back. I can sort of understand why the studio would want to deviate from the manga here and insert a tense battle instead, but it's certain that some studios would have been more faithful to the manga, especially with a similar budget and with the "tense battle" ultimately being unnecessary. Another part of me hopes that this is a hint that the author wrote Asta's power to not be nearly as strong without The Witch's aid, as she turns against the Black Bulls at the end of the episode...
May 3, 2023 4:27 AM

Apr 2019
lol what the fuck are they using Microsoft paint? The Queen was after the anti magic afterall and her magic was blood manipulation, i guess she really was op which is why nobody tries to mess with her
May 20, 2023 12:42 PM

Jul 2022
I can’t comprehend the animation!
Jun 13, 2023 8:21 PM
Apr 2022
Comecei assistir por estar dublado em português, mas a história e ótima, e muito bom acompanhar a evolução do Asta e como isso impulsiona o restante da equipe dele, mas verdade seja dita, a animação está bem ruim, conforme passo os episódios a animação vai piorando, o que é bem triste.
A luta que se passa nesse episodio claramente é uma das mais importantes, já que é primeira transformação do Asta, mas a animação é tão ruim que perde o brilho que luta poderia ter.
Sep 7, 2023 9:45 PM
Apr 2023
SO COOL AND DARK. BEAUTIFUL ANIMATION, FAST PACING, IT DOESNT GET BETTER THAN THIS. A 10/10 EPIDODE
Sep 24, 2023 2:19 PM
May 2022
The quality of the fight was very low because the animation was bad.
May 2, 10:59 PM
Sep 2018
It's a bit late to talk about it, but regardless
The vision for the episode was, in my opinion excellent. There was moments on the fight and, mainly, Asta interaction with the demon, that really shines and bring life to the episode.
That being said, There was moments that you cloud see that felt like it was incomplete, probably because of problems in production. It's not perfect, but it's waay of from a Escanor vs Meliodas case, for example.
May 13, 10:37 AM
Patron

May 2014
Yeah, im hyped!! Nice fight
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 170 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2021

345 by Retrospects »»
Yesterday, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2018

69 by thoronmi »»
May 26, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Favorite op?

infinite_Shadows - Mar 18

18 by Kizuki01 »»
May 22, 12:50 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 156 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2020

57 by Vindicater »»
May 20, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 155 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2020

46 by Vindicater »»
May 20, 5:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.