Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 27, 3:50 PM

Jun 2015
Why can't he just pay some of it now and the rest later?

What is the point of the association if they don't lend you money and prohibit it's members from lending money to each other?

This is not how business works.
May 27, 3:58 PM

Sep 2016
Poor Lawrence, but he was greedy and just like his pal said, the path that awaits him will be dark and hard.
May 27, 4:23 PM

Sep 2017
Yup, the northern campaign being cancelled. Something I really love about Spice & Wolf is the world building as the series goes on. Here we see the Lawrence effectively going broke due to the campaign, but it will continue to have major plot implications in the world as the journey continues. Hopefully the anime will continue beyond this season. Anyway very excited to see the resolution of this conflict animated over the next few episodes.
May 27, 4:55 PM
Jul 2022
This episode was sad. but I knew it was coming.
May 27, 5:24 PM

Jun 2012
This is why you don't invest in one thing only. Putting all your eggs into one basket so to speak.
What happens if the basket gets smashed on the ground? No eggs. No goods, no profit.

I hope Lawrence learns from this mistake.

Poor Holo chasing after him as he charges around trying to find a quick solution.
May 27, 6:57 PM
Mar 2021
what did that guy mean when he said about the church involving Nora being in dangerous areas with sheep?
May 27, 7:22 PM
May 2017
Another excellent but sad episode!

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 27, 7:44 PM

Feb 2021
When someone is in need and nobody help him...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 27, 7:47 PM

Jul 2022
Poor Lawrence, the frustration he must have felt having that debt and going around asking for money. Additionally, Holo's presence at that moment gives a bad impression for a merchant. I felt bad when he blamed her, even though he didn't mean it seriously.

May 27, 9:09 PM
Feb 2020
I've been confused, even at this part of the original. I don't see how armor would EVER be completely worthless. Even if they might not be able to buy the whole lot, there's always going to be someone in need of armor
And even if they can't buy at full price, trading companies would want to have a stock, even if it means maintenance while they're holding them.
Besides spices, armor should be one of the commodities that's always safe.
May 27, 10:47 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to Bastiono
I've been confused, even at this part of the original. I don't see how armor would EVER be completely worthless. Even if they might not be able to buy the whole lot, there's always going to be someone in need of armor
And even if they can't buy at full price, trading companies would want to have a stock, even if it means maintenance while they're holding them.
Besides spices, armor should be one of the commodities that's always safe.
@Bastiono The merchant guilds wouldn't want to keep stock with no buyer because that's warehouse space you could fill with something you can actually sell, plus if everyone had been anticipating a run on armor to begin with, they would already have stock on hand when the market crashed. It's worthless precisely because there are no buyers.
May 27, 11:06 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Oh, poor Lawrence, now trying to desperately get the money before the deadline. He was harsh with Holo, not being her fault, but pretty surely she'll come up with a wise idea... after some tsundere moments ^^.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
May 27, 11:45 PM

Jan 2018
Damn. Lawrence x Holo stocks are rising... That is what I thought at the beginning of the episode. So, the end of the episode caught me by surprise.

It seems like Lawrence made a bad deal with the armor and is now in debt. Wonder how he would get out of the situation when he had just wasted one of the days he had left. And also repair his relationship with Holo. I know he's desperate, so his mind is a mess, but I still feel bad about how he treated her.

I think some dialogue in the beginning was cut or shortened compared to the original. To make room for the short scene with Nora I guess. Otherwise, the episode was pretty much identical to the original. However, there was one scene added where Lawrence was asking for money and a bunch of people were throwing coins at him like he was a beggar. That was humiliating. Also, no ED was surprising.

This was probably the most engaging episode by far. Can't wait to see how Lawrence and Holo will get outta this mess they've created.
May 28, 12:05 AM

Oct 2020
Lawrence made a big mistake to buy the armor on a loan, that's always a bad idea.
May 28, 12:11 AM

Apr 2023
Lawrence should know that there are only two situations in which people are legitimately interested in knowing about your life and spreading news about it...
1 - When you earned money;
2 - When you owe money;
May 28, 3:08 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, that was quite painful to watch. Hope he's gonna be fine :(
May 28, 4:57 AM
Nov 2022
Ah, I just love it when the economy does economic shenanigans and now I'm broke...so relatable...

Really can't wait for the next episode...must...resist...continuing...from...the...original!!!
May 28, 6:49 AM
Feb 2022
Dum dum dum Holo Chan and her honesty
May 28, 11:30 AM

Apr 2015
This show just doesnt have same appeal as the original. Finding myself bored in most episodes.
May 28, 11:56 AM
Apr 2022
Can they enter a city once where there would be no problems, it's getting repetitive
May 28, 2:06 PM
Mar 2015
Our boi is up against the wall
May 28, 3:09 PM

Mar 2011
How can you call yourself a merchant when you don't have a backup plan for when things go south? Especially with his experience. He even has a wise wolf by his side.
May 28, 5:04 PM

Nov 2016
This seriously sucks. But hey, lesson learned. Making it out of this crisis will strengthen their relationship.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 28, 7:19 PM

Jul 2011
Reply to MiaAyende
@Bastiono The merchant guilds wouldn't want to keep stock with no buyer because that's warehouse space you could fill with something you can actually sell, plus if everyone had been anticipating a run on armor to begin with, they would already have stock on hand when the market crashed. It's worthless precisely because there are no buyers.
@MiaAyende But that doesn't explain how the iron its made of is also worthless.
May 28, 7:44 PM
Feb 2020
Reply to MiaAyende
@MiaAyende there is always the opportunity for someone to enter the guards, and thus needing armor. If you ever filled up your warehouse, you toss the most worthless thing. You never leave your warehouse even the tiniest bit empty if there's space, it's a loss, that's how you make money.
The episode implied that Lawrence was the only one who didn't know the armor was 'worthless', even when he brought it, the merchant knew something, the way it was presented, Lawrence was the only one selling armor at that time.
May 28, 10:41 PM

Oct 2016
The whole refusing to offer Lawrence a loan because he was traveling with a woman threw me off at first. With deeper analysis, I’m guessing it it because she is dressed very nicely and looks well taken care of, which implies Lawrence only needs the money because he doesn’t spend his wisely. That makes the last dude’s comments make more sense with him shaming Lawrence for relying on the generosity of others while supposedly making bad spending decisions aka having a woman around. This whole armor business is really interesting, and I can’t wait to see how this all gets resolved. (9.5/10)
May 29, 5:19 AM
Apr 2024
I was sad when Lawrence's sales dropped! Who acts like a muggle! And another thing that got stronger with half a fight from Holo, which has nothing to do with it! I hope the next chapter is a little lighter!
May 29, 6:35 AM
Mar 2019
Kraft is in trouble, and now he's alienating Holo. I wonder what Holo has planned to get out of Kraft's predicament.
May 29, 6:53 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That's just sad, Lawrence got scammed for the armor and now he has to gather money for his debt otherwise he's in deep shit... meanwhile all his friends left him :S
May 29, 8:54 AM
Sep 2021
Lawrence got tricked & hence fall in debt, how will Holo help him in this time of crisis.
May 29, 10:04 AM

Aug 2014
Slow boring and stupid episode.. worst from all so far and their trading rules are also stupid since the start of anime now it showed..

they should just make her take wolf form, attack/scare some merchants then run to forest
town and church would buy every armor and organize hunt while she gets back in human form or invisible in wheat fields
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
May 29, 11:53 AM
May 2017
not fan of the end of the episode but the rest is ok
May 29, 3:27 PM

Dec 2019
DONT GIVE UP LAWRENCE, keep gambling!
May 30, 3:23 AM

Feb 2010
This was one painful episode in the original series, watching this is like reliving trauma holy crap.
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

May 30, 5:40 PM

Jul 2016
The more episodes that passed, the more mediocre I think Lawrence is as a merchant. He likes to talk big but doesn't even have backup plans in case things don't go as planned smh.
And what's the damn point of having a Merchant Association if they refuse to help when one of its members is in need? Lawrence got scammed ffs. At least give him some info of which places he should go first...
May 30, 8:57 PM

Oct 2022
Really like how Lawrence is not stupidly overpowered and shows that he himself can be fooled as well instead of winning all the time, 100%
May 30, 10:14 PM

Dec 2022
It never gets old when Holo keeps teasing and tricking Lawrence every time :P
May 31, 5:38 PM

Feb 2016
I can't stand Lawrence, he thinks he is so cool, so wise, yet he only makes mistake after mistake, is annoying, and Holo isn't that much better.
Plus this is straight up boring, makes me feel so sleepy.
Time to drop this overhyped, lame ass trash.
2/10
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.

Jun 1, 8:50 PM
Oct 2019
Damn they scammed my boy Lawrence.
Shit.

From happy flirting to depressing ass episode. God damn bruhh
Jun 2, 11:27 AM
Mar 2020
still not sure why this had to be re-adapted, unless they actually plan to adapt all of it this time. But I certainly dont mind watching Spice and Wolf again, especially with higher saturation and a little more shine
Jun 2, 11:38 AM

Jul 2017
Reply to fast2611
still not sure why this had to be re-adapted, unless they actually plan to adapt all of it this time. But I certainly dont mind watching Spice and Wolf again, especially with higher saturation and a little more shine
@fast2611 I still think it makes a lot of sense to do so. One volume was skipped in the original adaptation and there were some changes made in the anime that didn't follow the books. And the biggest thing like you stated, this adaptation is probably going to be a long-term one so it is better having a new audience that's following this version and building a fanbase out of that alongside older fans of the series than isolating them a bit by continuing the anime more than a decade since it last aired by just going on as normal.

Full Metal Panic sells pretty well as far as light novels go but Invisible Victory getting an anime after 13 years with a direct continuation while fine on paper, had absolutely no hype going for it whatsoever while airing due to the gigantic gap between the previous season and this one. Having an anime that has newer fans and older fans liking it plus building a platform for future seasons to air with better continuity makes a lot of sense to me.
Jun 2, 12:03 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to animejas
@fast2611 I still think it makes a lot of sense to do so. One volume was skipped in the original adaptation and there were some changes made in the anime that didn't follow the books. And the biggest thing like you stated, this adaptation is probably going to be a long-term one so it is better having a new audience that's following this version and building a fanbase out of that alongside older fans of the series than isolating them a bit by continuing the anime more than a decade since it last aired by just going on as normal.

Full Metal Panic sells pretty well as far as light novels go but Invisible Victory getting an anime after 13 years with a direct continuation while fine on paper, had absolutely no hype going for it whatsoever while airing due to the gigantic gap between the previous season and this one. Having an anime that has newer fans and older fans liking it plus building a platform for future seasons to air with better continuity makes a lot of sense to me.
@animejas Suppose I just dont have alot of faith that they will adapt significantly more then the old series?
But we'll see-
Jun 2, 12:21 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to fast2611
@animejas Suppose I just dont have alot of faith that they will adapt significantly more then the old series?
But we'll see-
@fast2611 Nah this definitely will, there is a hint to that in the first couple minutes of the very first episode of the remake. They would not just do a random Spice and Wolf season remake for no reason over a decade later, unless it is aimed at a proper full adaptation or at least covering a LOT more than just 5 volumes (with 1 skipped) which the original anime covered.
Jun 2, 4:40 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Yup, it seems like in one episode Lawrence's stock has gone to shit and not much can be done in a dire situation like this. I mean, two days for coimg out of bankrupcy is really tight, more so considering no person wants to give you a loan. To top it all off he snapped on Holo with instant regret.

Dooming scenario with a sliver line of hope.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jun 4, 2:17 PM

Feb 2011
I wish Lawrence would stop treating Holo like shit, she's so cute and deserves none of it

Jun 4, 8:27 PM

Nov 2023
Things have gotten dangerous, our poor Lawrence is risking losing his freedom.
The episode is perfectly adapted, and i envy those who are watching Spice and Wolf for the first time with this adaptation, it must be even more enjoyable. I remember that when i watched the old 2008 version, i often thought this work deserved better animation.
Jun 6, 2:17 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
In my opinion it was a bad day!!!
kekeke
Jun 8, 1:35 PM

Jun 2019
Man... that was very heavy to see all that fold in such a way. I teared up a little seeing Lawrence being so desperate for the money. It was so sad to see it happen like that. These kinds of things are normal in the market but it is also very heavy.

Poor Holo. I can understand everyone in this situation. Everyone's frustrated. Please, don't be mean to each other. You're the best couple.
Jun 11, 1:22 PM

Oct 2017
And just like that things can collapse very easily. The world is cruel. Everyone will be there for you in your happy days but very few will help in times of need.
Jun 12, 4:41 AM

May 2015
Just when things were looking up, Lawrence and Holo get put in a bind once more. The life of a merchant sure is a precarious one. I hope when it's all over Lawrence treats Holo to as many apples as she could want.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Where did this season end of at?

Cneq - 7 hours ago

3 by Piromysl »»
5 hours ago

» About the adaptation

TEMPEST_1 - Sep 16

28 by TEMPEST_1 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 23

96 by AnimeXlover78 »»
Yesterday, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 22

89 by anakpnana »»
Yesterday, 7:12 AM

» Season 2 Confirmation

_MushiRock11_ - Sep 23

16 by JizzyHitler »»
Yesterday, 2:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.