Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 22, 2009 3:34 PM

Feb 2008
For those displeased with the comedy; realize thats its in the manga which the new anime is trying to follow (for the most part). So if you want it to follow the original source material and not just be like the first series, it will include the humorous scenes regardless of what it was like in the first anime.
Apr 22, 2009 4:13 PM

Aug 2008
I don't think anyone minds comedy in general, but when it throws off the pace and is the same joke over and over again, then we have a problem. Completely faithful adaptations aren't always the best idea. Sometimes change is good.
Apr 22, 2009 4:39 PM
Oct 2008
I think the reaction to the comedy in this series is going to be different for everyone. Some of those who enjoyed the manga are going to like it while others are not.
Apr 22, 2009 4:56 PM

Feb 2009
Few things

Music this time is much better. imo

The comedy will take time to get used to. FMA was much more serious than this and I still feel awkward everytime.

Rose got lighter lol.

Is it just me, or does this anime feel like its specially for FMA watchers. Because they are zooooming past the background history of them. Like cliffnotes mode lol.
Apr 22, 2009 5:28 PM
Oct 2008
Aeikai said:
Few things

Music this time is much better. imo

The comedy will take time to get used to. FMA was much more serious than this and I still feel awkward everytime.

Rose got lighter lol.

Is it just me, or does this anime feel like its specially for FMA watchers. Because they are zooooming past the background history of them. Like cliffnotes mode lol.

Yeah I think they are. I don't know, I guess because I've watched the first series and am currently reading the manga, the fact that they are moving through it so fast doesn't bother me.

For new viewers it might not be great but I know a few who are still enjoying without having viewed the series prior to this or read the manga.
Apr 22, 2009 9:45 PM

Jul 2008
Lior wasn't rushed... It was only 89 pages in the manga... Less than half of the first volume. It would've been boring if they had added filller. There's only so much you can drag out; I felt like it wasn't rush at all. The animation is the one thing that's getting to me. I dunno... It's too bright or something... It must be because I've been watching some 90's anime lately.

I don't have a problem with the comedy; I rather enjoy it. It's accurate to Arakawa's sense of humor and it's a nice break from the more dramatic stuff. The second half of the first series became way too serious and involving for me, that I almost dropped it (It was partly Dante's fault too...)

If you want to enjoy the second series more, my advice is to erase the first series from your mind as you watch FMA:B. By comparing the two, obviously you're going to feel more connection to the first series... Since it loved the characters more than the plot. :P

Looking forward to Nina...
Apr 22, 2009 11:09 PM

Apr 2008
noteDhero said:
I don't think anyone minds comedy in general, but when it throws off the pace and is the same joke over and over again, then we have a problem. Completely faithful adaptations aren't always the best idea. Sometimes change is good.

Agreed. The fact that everyone here seems to assume that because it is following the manga then it's automatically better than the original is out of there mind. The fact the first deviated from it and made every episode just about as emotional as possible made it great. Now it's more comedy, less emotion and all in a been there done that motion right now as they breezed through Lior.

Granted we are only 3 episodes in and it will take more time to know how good the series will truly be but I don't see that it'll we be better than the first, especially not on the basis of it follows the manga more strictly.
Apr 22, 2009 11:49 PM

Jul 2007
tsubasalover said:
We're going to watch that ep. all over again next week?

Well, here's the hint. It will be more different from fma1 than Ep3 was. :)

Apr 23, 2009 2:21 AM

Aug 2008
It really kinda seems a little rushed to me. Then again maybe that's how it was in the manga but I can't remember since it's been quite some time since i read it.

But the art is without a doubt fantastic with much detail and effort put into the characters and the background.

You could immediately know that Yukino Satsuki was Rose's voice when she started screaming in the end :P Her actual design from the manga is also much nicer the from the first FMA.
Apr 23, 2009 1:06 PM

Oct 2008
martin03345 said:
noteDhero said:

Agreed. The fact that everyone here seems to assume that because it is following the manga then it's automatically better than the original is out of there mind. The fact the first deviated from it and made every episode just about as emotional as possible made it great. Now it's more comedy, less emotion and all in a been there done that motion right now as they breezed through Lior.

Well granted that most people I know believe the manga was much much better than the anime (disregarding the fact the anime wasn't on the same plot), and they're remaking it based off the manga... It's assumed that it should be on par, or better. I'm expecting changes, just not huge plot-changing changes. Seeing as how this is also just an introductory arc, I don't think it needs to be as serious. As it progresses, I hope they leave out some of the jokes.

Arakawa had lots of comedy and chibi forms, sometimes too many during parts and I hope they get rid of them. I agree there is a little too much comedy, but comedy is good, so I couldn't care less.
Apr 23, 2009 5:31 PM

Apr 2008
They are funny and I will agree with that because when they did it in the first it worked very well and was quite original. However, the idea that many are saying that this is better because it follows the manga is asinine in of itself. I rather have them quite a bit different so it gives me incentive to read the manga and not just say eh, it'll be in the anime so no reason.
Apr 23, 2009 6:54 PM

Dec 2007
martin03345 said:
They are funny and I will agree with that because when they did it in the first it worked very well and was quite original. However, the idea that many are saying that this is better because it follows the manga is asinine in of itself. I rather have them quite a bit different so it gives me incentive to read the manga and not just say eh, it'll be in the anime so no reason.

Very well put. Doesn't matter if it is true to the manga or not, what's good is good, and what's bad is bad.
I love the fact that there are two entirely different FMA stories that can be experienced, there is so much more value to it that way.
Apr 23, 2009 6:56 PM

Nov 2008
they didn't show how's Rose's bf looked like
Apr 23, 2009 7:53 PM
Oct 2008
virgo_sama said:

I don't believe they ever showed him in the manga.
Apr 23, 2009 7:55 PM

Nov 2008
Capellabun said:
virgo_sama said:

if I'm not wrong they showed him in fma
*corrects me if I was wrong Dx*
Apr 23, 2009 9:25 PM
Nov 2008
Awesome episode. I can't wait for next week.
Apr 23, 2009 10:29 PM

Aug 2007
virgo_sama said:
Capellabun said:
virgo_sama said:

if I'm not wrong they showed him in fma
*corrects me if I was wrong Dx*

They showed him in the anime version(well other anime version X3) but not the manga version. ^___^

Apr 24, 2009 9:46 AM
Jun 2008
Well, yeah, it was a bit rushed. But still good =)

Good episode, with some dark parts and funny parts
Apr 24, 2009 12:45 PM

Mar 2009
I liked it, but as everyone has been saying, it did feel pretty rushed. I'm still not completely sold on this new one, but I haven't read the manga, so it doesn't hold the same "manga-accurate" allure for me as it does for many. Maybe this is a hint that I need to go read it...

My greatest beef so far with the whole thing has been the order. Isn't Lior supposed to come first, before the backstory? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I know THAT much about the manga.
Apr 24, 2009 1:16 PM

Jul 2007
KonekoAnni said:
My greatest beef so far with the whole thing has been the order. Isn't Lior supposed to come first, before the backstory? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I know THAT much about the manga.

They wanted for it to start differently so they switched stuff around a bit for starters.(so that people would not just think "i've seen it before" or "its just reairing"
Apr 25, 2009 1:17 AM
Mar 2009
Fai said:
KonekoAnni said:

They wanted for it to start differently so they switched stuff around a bit for starters.(so that people would not just think "i've seen it before" or "its just reairing"

And I love the change. It makes things more interesting in this pre-manga/anime split. Although they already did mention "Father" in this episode. By mixing things up orderwise, and rushing it a little, it leaves less time to think "Wow, this is boring, I am rewatching the first one!"
Apr 25, 2009 3:12 PM

Oct 2007
amazing ep. can't wait until nina next week, let's see if i cry again. LOL
Apr 25, 2009 4:28 PM

Apr 2009
Ahh i like this fma more than the other one since its staying faithful to the manga. And hopefully it will stay that way.

Apr 26, 2009 12:54 PM

May 2008
I'm glad the Lior arc was only one episode instead of two.

Apr 27, 2009 4:18 AM
Jul 2008
Nice episode, better than the first season taking more than one episode on something that wasn't really important IMO.
Apr 30, 2009 1:26 AM

Feb 2008
Those eyecatchs are just awesome!! LOL!

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST.............

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!.....

AHAHAHA! XD
Apr 30, 2009 9:42 AM

Aug 2008
Fai said:

Rose got a bit bigger role than in manga

Chimera Looked a lot more baddass this time.
AS well as Ed/chimera fight, which was awesomely animated and Ed's expressions were just awesome.

This.

Rose pointing the gun at Al was just lol.

adamantine said:

- But, what the hell was going on with all the splitscreen? That looked so lame. DDDDD:

I was a little like wth?

Bakayaro said:

All-in-all, I enjoyed it quite a fair bit. After still just semi-recently coming off Clannad, I still hear Sanae in Lust's voice. I'll say this much; it's still damned weird.

Sanae > Dominatrix? Pahah.
Apr 30, 2009 10:19 PM

Apr 2008
LOL @ the part where everyone hears Cornello's sinister plans. I loved the dog with the big eyes, and the guy with the coffee ;P The "( o . o ).

Afterward, I checked the manga part of this episode and it seems about right?
May 4, 2009 7:16 AM

Jan 2008
I start to love this soundtrack. The episode lacked the parrot guy, but it was fine overall.

next episode: ;_;
May 8, 2009 5:42 AM

Apr 2008
ntHai said:
I start to love this soundtrack. The episode lacked the parrot guy, but it was fine overall.

next episode: ;_;

from what i remember, that wasn't in the manga ..
May 10, 2009 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
i loved the episode wery fun and rose with the gun wow dident exspet that XD well in the manga thene.
Edward Elric <3 Lavi <3 Fai. D Flourite <3 Shizu-Chan <3 Sause Uchiha ! <33
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=11018 - FMAB fan club. for thoses who wants to join ^^

Jul 29, 2009 6:40 PM

Dec 2008
ah fun episode.
though it seems weird how they change from a silly mood to a serious mood and back so quickly.
Oct 12, 2009 6:48 PM
Feb 2009
same-thing happened on the first season
Dec 19, 2009 10:06 AM

Aug 2007
This ep was so grat. I prefer this one to the original (anime, Im planning to read manga in the future). So Lust kill Cornelio and Glutony ate him...
Jan 18, 2010 11:45 AM

Jan 2009
Medium episode for me. Boring Jokes for break sad moments, I dont liked it. Liked animation.

Anyway, I liked more this part in first full metal alchemist than in this new one.
Feb 28, 2010 3:28 PM

Nov 2008
It was an interesting episode. I liked how they mixed religion and "science."

Can't wait for next week!
Mar 3, 2010 9:00 PM

May 2007
Little rushed, I thought the first show did Liore better.

I wonder if Liore shows up later in the series because this Rose is a lot dumber.
My anime list
Mar 9, 2010 6:23 AM

Dec 2009
Hm.. 'sighs' This episodes was ok, it started out good, fallowing the manga percicely and only skipping a few bits of the chapters. And was it just me or did the episode go by pretty fast.. I have to say that after watching this episode I think I like the first anime series better.

Mar 14, 2010 9:02 PM

Mar 2010
New to this series and didn't have much hope at first 'cause I tried watching the original FMA anime and that didn't tickle me the way this one is so far. Awesome episode!
May 2, 2010 8:37 PM
Apr 2010
I find it hilarious how people wanted for ages a FMA series that "followed the manga" and we get it and they are complaining it's too rushed..lol
Well i hate to break it to you guys but that is the manga on the screen in all it's fast paced awsomeness,only a few scene not there..face it,they had to cut it to save time for ADs.
May 18, 2010 4:45 PM

Sep 2009
Good episode. I never read the manga, but I did see the first fullmetal alchemist anime. I remember the events of this episode but I don't really remember the details. Hopefully I'll start seeing some new stuff so this anime will feel fresh.
Jul 2, 2010 9:46 AM

Aug 2009
Oh shit this episode was just an action packed episode, and pretty funny as well. I'm starting to like this Anime. I don't know what's going to happen since I haven't seen the old FMA or read the Manga.

Okay so I wondering what was the ring the priest was wearing if it wasn't the Philosopher's stone? How was he doing some alchemy if it was only a fake stone?

One thing that made me really interested is that it looked like the main enemies are the seven deadly sins. Lust, Gluttony, etc. I wonder who's going to be the main antagonist. Oh shit I'm getting all fired up, lol.
Aug 16, 2010 6:26 AM

Dec 2009
This was so much better than FMA1, and it is nice that it was all done in one episode. Rose was way less annoying too.

Feb 12, 2011 8:41 PM

Aug 2010
yeah seems rushed for that part, but still liked it overall.
Feb 21, 2011 11:59 PM
Jul 2008
omgosh! moving so fast=p
and i don't like how rose looks so weird! light skin and dark hair, etcD:
the drawing is slightly diff than the first. and the atmosphere is totally diff! they made it seem as if the beginning episodes were a jokeD:
they made rose look nuts...the serious 'omcow what's gonna happen?!' atmosphere disappearD:=[
Mar 21, 2011 3:50 PM

May 2010
I liked it a lot, It was cool how Rose actually had the willpower to shoot Ed.
Apr 29, 2011 11:08 PM

Oct 2010
I love how Ed and Al run through the hallways.
[insert awesome signature here]
May 30, 2011 2:38 AM

May 2010
lanachan said:
I love how Ed and Al run through the hallways.

Haha. Same here.

This ep is full of awesomeness and comedy. Loved it.
Jul 2, 2011 4:39 AM

Dec 2010
It's really good that they did all the Liore stuffs in just one episode, unlike FMA. It's really not that interesting part although it builds up the story.
Can't wait for Nina...
Aug 2, 2011 12:54 AM
Jul 2010
Pretty good episode. You see, this is the kind of faith I hate. Seeing some people blindly following something, even if it isn't as obviously wrong, is just that annoying. And that guy was actually trying to make an army of "stupid followers" and try to take over the world. Now, what I really liked was when Ed gave him a taste of God's fist - that was quite a nice scene.

Sent with Mal Updater
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

976 by e30pedro »»
Yesterday, 5:36 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

216 by TheBrokenBoyy »»
May 24, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

adamantine - Jan 31, 2010

137 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 18, 7:43 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Jan 24, 2010

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 18, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

344 by CaviarSandwiches »»
May 17, 1:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.