Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 12, 2012 10:40 AM
Nov 2012
symbv said:
Jyuu-niDesu said:
Anyway, about the fact weather those school-carrier can fight. Ooarai is based on a World War 2 Carrier which obviously meant for launching fighter airplanes. But since the deck is taken up by towns and there is no Airport in sight [boosted by the fact that the instructor has to be send down via parachute]. Oaorai carrier is not design for ship combat.
We should never forget that those ships are much much bigger than any real carrier too. So it is just the external form that is looking like an aircraft carrier but most likely it was never built to function like a real aircraft carrier. This is also why I have my doubt why someone wrote that the Ooarai is an old ship -- we can see the ship was based on a WWII carrier appearance instead of a modern carrier but that is no evidence that the ship was built in an older time than other school-ships.

I actually came to a conclusion that Ooara is an old ship because the fact that momo said the school is "old and unremarkable", don't know out of facts or sheer nostalgia. And I also compared it to Saunders and Parvda ships which are all based on cold-war carries. If all the ships are built on equal standards, Ooarai could have been based on the JSDF Hyuga class Helicopter Destroyer. But this can be argued because St-Gloriana GA is also based on a World War 2 HMS Ark Royal carrier. But maybe St-Gloriana is also an old school but with the cash and laurels to avoid being scrapped.
Dec 12, 2012 10:53 AM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Jyuu-niDesu said:
But since the deck is taken up by towns and there is no Airport in sight [boosted by the fact that the instructor has to be send down via parachute]. Oaorai carrier is not design for ship combat.

However, I do spot the forward AA gun in placed on the Ooarai. In the original Shokaku class ships, this would be 127mm Dual purpose gun placed in the latter years of the war. But since Ooarai is a scaled up version of the Shokaku, these guns could easily be a 18in from the Yamato class battleship.

Actually the scale tricked you. Though most of the deck is taken up by the town, in episode 1 when they do the pull back there is quite clearly (er, if you are obsessed like me and pause it that is :-) a runway on the left side of the ship, takes up the middle third of that side of the ship.

I actually paid close attention to those AA placements after watching the first episode. In the second episode Miho is standing on one of them and it is quite clear that they are scenic observation decks.

I have to agree more with Symbv, why ruin a fun show by bringing politics into it. So I doubt they will do so overtly. Symbolically though is a different matter.

We should probably step away from the "alternative to war" motif and just focus on the idea of parents taking sports a tad too seriously, where as kids usually play sports for fun. When you go to a pop warner football game (here in the US, I imagine Hockey in Canada is the same), it isn't the kids who are screaming and yelling at the ref or making a big deal about losing, its the parents. This is probably the point of the animation. Of course it is easy to see that for many people, particularly in international competition, they view it as "akin to war" than a good nature competition.

Did a furthur check and you were right there is a landing strip. Which now raised a question on why the instructor has to parachute down in a 44ton + Type 10 MBT and crush that beautiful Ferrari F40 in the process (Or how a Headmaster can even afford an F40? XD)

Anyways, yes most of the AA cupola on the sides are actually observation decks, But the Forward(in front of the ship)127mm(in the Shokaku at least) housing is the one I am talking about. But turns out in 720P, it reveals only just the housing with the guns absence.
Dec 12, 2012 11:06 AM

Oct 2012
Takuan_Soho wrote:
I imagine Hockey in Canada is the same

We take it to an unreasonable extreme. It goes far, far beyond a fun game for the kids to enjoy. The plus side is that we produce some really good Hockey players. Keep in mind that there was a match between Russia and and Canada in 1972 and Canada won !
Dec 12, 2012 11:27 AM

Oct 2012
In his Post #151 Takuan_Soho wrote:
May I recommend my post 89 in this thread where I answered that very question.

Thanks. It was a great post. Here is the relevant part, very slightly edited for conciseness:

Post #89 from Takuan_Soho:
I don't know how many people noticed, but in the first episode . . . the other elective was . . . "Sendou". This is translated into "Taoist philosophy", but that isn't quite accurate. "Sen" is the character for a Taoist hermit, particularly one possessing magical powers. Kame-Sennin from Dragon Ball would be an example. So in addition to several martial arts the school also has magic.

Often a good way to tentatively check out the range of meanings of a word (especially since it can occur in many combinations with other characters) is to do a Google Image search, in this case for 仙. Unfortunately, there is not a one-to-one correspondence between individual kanji and English words.
Dec 12, 2012 3:32 PM

Feb 2011
I can't believe I read the whole thread. Interesting discussion indeed.

Takuan_Soho said:
Actually the scale tricked you. Though most of the deck is taken up by the town, in episode 1 when they do the pull back there is quite clearly (er, if you are obsessed like me and pause it that is :-) a runway on the left side of the ship, takes up the middle third of that side of the ship.
Am I the only one who can't find the runway? Here's another overview of the ship from the beginning of episode 2.
The Game.
Dec 12, 2012 3:53 PM
Oct 2012
tachime said:
Am I the only one who can't find the runway? Here's another overview of the ship from the beginning of episode 2.

Try first episode around the 22:21 to 22:30 you can see it on the right side of the screen (left side of the ship). I might have judged the scale wrong from that view, but you can certainly see that there are two runways on that side. I believe they screwed up on the second episode picture, in episode one you can see the runway at the same level as this picture, but on this picture it looks like they transformed it into what looks like buildings and the triangle towards the front of the ship is the runway.
Dec 12, 2012 4:57 PM

Feb 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
tachime said:

Try first episode around the 22:21 to 22:30 you can see it on the right side of the screen (left side of the ship). I might have judged the scale wrong from that view, but you can certainly see that there are two runways on that side. I believe they screwed up on the second episode picture, in episode one you can see the runway at the same level as this picture, but on this picture it looks like they transformed it into what looks like buildings and the triangle towards the front of the ship is the runway.

Oh I see. Never thought it is the runway. It is light yellow, not like the usual asphalt concrete road color.
That aside, episode 8 also has a view of the whole ship (when both Ooarai and Pravda ship park, around 9:10). It is consistent with the episode 2 ship. Maybe the episode 1 ship is the one which is screwed up? lol
tachimeDec 12, 2012 5:00 PM
The Game.
Dec 12, 2012 6:21 PM
Sep 2012
Aversa said:
nseika said:
What's the legal age for drinking in Soviet Russia ? ^^;
Do they even have a legal drinking age there?
I mean Russia is more tolerant then my country towards alcohol and my country doesn't have a drinking age.
I remember seeing on the news a while back that Russia did enact an age limit recently because there are too many young Russians getting drunk, violent and spending all their money for alcohol and not looking for a job.
nseika said:
AiCon said:
It's interesting how they have tanks from all over the world while all the other schools they've faced only have tanks from their nations.
Seeing this is the national tournament, those are actually Japanese.
There's also a 4koma series in Pixiv that keep a running joke that Daarjeling is just a Japanese girl pretending to be British (and her real name is Dajiri ^^; )

About the tank... there's theory in this topic that Ooarai is actually an old ship compared to the other schools.
The possible scenario is, they've been participating in tank since the early days before retiring and in those days, it's normal to use mixed composition, any tank you could get/salvage.
In the other hand, the newer schools have the clean slate to build a whole new tank division composed of tanks from similar country, or they have the budget to rebuild their old tank lineup. While Ooarai, under difficult financial situation, had to sell away their tanks.
Interesting. Thanks :)
Dec 12, 2012 9:00 PM

Sep 2012
Wow... Some GirlPan fan is really attentive to details... Near the end of the episode at around 22:30 there was a scene of the 89 tank (flag tank of Ooarai team) in a rangefinder screen and this seems to be IS-2 aiming at the 89 tank. However, the rangefinder screen is shown to be a PzIV one, with German text on it. The fan tweeted to the Director Mizushima and Mizushima said he will fix it in BD.

@tsuki_akari かんとく~!昨日MX放映放映した9話、 ラスト近くでノンナのIS-2が照準器に八九式を捉えてるシーンの照準器が、 IV号のものになってます(;´Д`) なおりそうですか…? 水島努 @tsuki_akari @Geroko 直します(**;)

Earlier the director said he welcomes fans pointing out animation error to him but he also said that fixing animation error is much easier than fixing a voice recording issue. I guess for him everything in the animation side is under his control, but when it comes to sound and voice it is much trickier as it involves sound director and booking of studio and seiyuu.

==============

On the other hand, another fan put his focus on the BGM used. In particular, he pointed out the following:

- Scene when Anzu and her team was being super-cool, the BGM was the one used in practice in ep.3

- Scene when both teams were chasing each other's flag tank, the BGM was the one used in the climax in the Saunders match in ep.6

-Scene when IS-2 rejoined the Pravda team, the BGM is the instrumental version of Katyusha.
symbvDec 12, 2012 9:19 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 12, 2012 9:10 PM
Oct 2012
tachime said:

Oh I see. Never thought it is the runway. It is light yellow, not like the usual asphalt concrete road color.
That aside, episode 8 also has a view of the whole ship (when both Ooarai and Pravda ship park, around 9:10). It is consistent with the episode 2 ship. Maybe the episode 1 ship is the one which is screwed up? lol

It is even worse, when I was looking for the 8 scene (which you are absolutely correct on), I noticed that the opening credits of the ship DO have the runway (the lighter color that episode one showed to be a run way), this is missing from the scene you pointed out later (which are all darker colored).

I don't have a twitter account, but someone could follow up on Symbv's post and tweet the director about this disparity. Coming from overseas, I think they would get a great kick out of knowing we pay this much attention to the show.
Dec 12, 2012 10:10 PM

Oct 2012
You can certainly tweet your comments to:

Director Tsutomu Mizushima 水島努
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari

but another option is:

Research Supervisor Takaaki Suzuki 鈴木貴昭
https://twitter.com/yamibun

Recall that Suzuki-san was involved in the military history aspects of Strike Witches and Upotte.

If you don't already have a Twitter account, it is extremely easy and fast to get one. Also, the various people involved in Girls und Panzer seem to take quite a lot of pride in their number of Twitter followers. If they decide to reply to your tweet, you also get a direct email to your normal email address.
okanaganDec 12, 2012 10:14 PM
Dec 12, 2012 10:54 PM

Sep 2012
This is the summary of the official twitter about Ep.8 (I am posting to Ep.8 discussion thread too):

- Uesaka (Nonna's seiyuu) taught everyone the Russian pronunciation.

- Those who have not noticed, please take a good look at the school emblem of Pravda school.

- The names of Sodoko, Gomoyo and Pazomi were coined by Mizushima the director.

- The PzIV not only got a longer gun and a bunch of structural modification, the Anko mark also got bigger.

- The jacket worn by Momo at the kotatsu scene (Anko-nabe dinner) is a Luftwaffe leather jacket. It is something Director Mizushima dearly wants.

- Of course Katyusha is a nickname. She has her real Japanese name.

- For the Ooarai team, only the Stg III has been equipped with winter track.

- Only the Stg III got winter camouflage, and there is a reason for that.

- It is Director Mizushima's idea to have the Pravda girls singing "Katyusha". It was decided way back in screenplay draft stage.

- However, the idea of having the war cry "Uraaaaa!" before the singing came from Uesaka (Nonna's seiyuu) and was added during the voice recording.

- In the last part of the Katyusha singing, almost the entire cast of GirlPan joined in the singing lol

- The Katyusha singing scene will of course appear in the BD/DVD of GirlPan released in Japan, but it may not come up if it is released in other countries.

- The idea of the characters Katyusha and Nonna came from Shimada, who was responsible for character original design (he was also the design for Strike Witches as well). He made the suggestion back in the screenplay draft stage.

- Sugiyama, a producer of GirlPan, said winter battle reminds him more the Battle of the Bulge than the Russian Front.

- Yukawa, another producer of GirlPan, jokingly said Sugiyama insisted on adding the "Nuts" comments in the screenplay during the winter battle.

- Katyusha was a song common in primary school music textbook when Sugiyama was a pupil but he is not sure if the song is still being taught in schools in Japan.

- B1bis is heavy but Mako is smart enough to climb the slope by zigzagging up.

- We had planned for more witticisms from Darjeeling as well as history reference comments from the History Girl Team in many episodes, but because of length limit we had to cut them.

- Sugiyama commented he was impressed with the CGI used to depict the softness of snow via showing the operation of the suspension system on it. He wants to thank Graphnica, the company which did the CGI.
symbvDec 12, 2012 11:01 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 13, 2012 12:43 AM

Nov 2009
mutopis said:

haters are hating
Dec 13, 2012 2:23 AM

Sep 2012
I am not sure if it is mentioned in the English sub, but the song sung by Nonna when Katyusha went for a lunch nap is the Cossack Lullaby (КАЗАЧЬЯ КОЛЫБЕ ЛЬНАЯ ПЕСНЯ). Here is a male version:

Anybody who wants to check other variations of the lullaby can take a look at here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL62CB76E612CACAA0
symbvDec 13, 2012 2:28 AM

Dec 13, 2012 7:29 AM
Jun 2008
really nice episode and I enjoy the heat of it . Thou, I am still having some difficulty understanding the battle ~_~
Seems like loosing the match will means the end of Oarai High School ,I guess winning is the only solution.The gov will give everything they got to support Oarai hight school if they win . It will be shame to a country if a winning school gone bankrupt in just a few month LOL .

I started late in this thread and I realize there are so much stuff to read.... well ,might as well just enjoy the show.
Dec 13, 2012 8:02 AM

Sep 2012
Again the enthusiastic fans in Japan are inspired by what they saw in the anime:

Dec 13, 2012 8:24 AM

Sep 2012
And in 2ch there are fans who start to compare Madoka and GirlPan - in some tongue-in-cheek way:

- Rapid growth of posts in 2ch for its respective thread
- Original anime aired in midnight
- Delay in the broadcast of the final episode
- Successfully acquired fans outside the usual anime fandom
- All volumes of BD in very high places in Amazon sales ranking
- It started without much attention but gained explosive popularity only after a few episodes were aired
- Both have KitaEri (Kitamura Eri) voicing a character that fans like to make jokes on (Darjeeling and Sayaka)
- There is a Mami like character in GirlPan (at least in fans imagination): Darjeeling likes to drink tea and she seems to talk about things that others find it difficult to understand.
- There is a Homura like character in GirlPan: Maho is the tsundere character who actually loves the protagonist heroine very much but cannot bring herself to admit it openly.

Dec 13, 2012 8:24 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
T- Only the Stg III got winter camouflage, and there is a reason for that.

- Sugiyama, a producer of GirlPan, said winter battle reminds him more the Battle of the Bulge than the Russian Front.

- Katyusha was a song common in primary school music textbook when Sugiyama was a pupil but he is not sure if the song is still being taught in schools in Japan.

- We had planned for more witticisms from Darjeeling as well as history reference comments from the History Girl Team in many episodes, but because of length limit we had to cut them.

I am curious as to what that reason for only the Stu is.

The church looked more western than eastern, and Orthodox church would have created a more "Russian" feel. Plus it being winter, trapped in a small town, even without the "nuts" comments to just looked like the Battle of the Bulge, regardless of the participants.

That answered a question I had. My wife knew the song when I played it. So it wasn't just the producers class but the entire countries elementary school system that had it. I will have to check to see if they are still using it.

Hope they animate those and put them on the Blu Rays. That would definitely spike sales.
Dec 13, 2012 9:13 AM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
symbv said:
T- Only the Stg III got winter camouflage, and there is a reason for that.

I am curious as to what that reason for only the Stu is.

The church looked more western than eastern, and Orthodox church would have created a more "Russian" feel. Plus it being winter, trapped in a small town, even without the "nuts" comments to just looked like the Battle of the Bulge, regardless of the participants.

That answered a question I had. My wife knew the song when I played it. So it wasn't just the producers class but the entire countries elementary school system that had it. I will have to check to see if they are still using it.

Hope they animate those and put them on the Blu Rays. That would definitely spike sales.

The Stug III is the most capable weapon against the Russian. Stug low profile and high velocity 75mm gun makes it highly capable against in destroying Russian tanks. especially in the open plains as in the tournament, where a camouflage and dug in is difficult to spot.

What I'am curious about the Stug is this. The Stug in Garupan was found at the bottom of a pond. I wonder weather the producers got the inspiration from the beautifully restored Stug III in the Tank Museum in Bovington [arguably the best tank museum] which was salvaged from the bottom of the Black Sea. The Stug III in The Tank Museum has an amazing restoration story. It was crossing the Black Sea for reinforcement on a ship called the Santa Fe where it was torpedoed by a Soviet sub. Years after the war, the Stug was salvaged and restored by the SdKfz foundation. Can anyone verify this?

I don't know much about battles to tell the difference between Stalingrad and the Battle of the Bulge. But the small towns around it has a Russian feel to it.

Hope someone will load those extras on the net, I do not have a Blu-Ray player. Hack I do not even have a DVD palyer.
Dec 13, 2012 1:49 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This episode was a bucketload of fun. This little anime started out as a bit of a joke item but has truly blossomed. I cannot wait to see how it will end.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 13, 2012 3:07 PM

Nov 2011
My review of the episode (Yes, with COD: WaW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcZ_k6guJ1k
Dec 13, 2012 4:02 PM

Oct 2012
Great review. A good recap of the episode. Nice comment about the chibi tank in the closing credits.
WARNING: Coarse language, extreme bloody violence and loli themes. Viewer discretion is advised.
Parental discretion is strongly advised.
okanaganDec 13, 2012 4:15 PM
Dec 14, 2012 3:36 AM
Dec 14, 2012 3:45 AM

Dec 2008
SayuriUliana said:
Episode 10 Preview Pics

where's the tiger????

i want my tiger now..
looks from the preview still no tiger.. sigh..

Dec 14, 2012 4:05 AM

May 2012
So the Type 3 Chi-Nu is just parked in a parking lot? Wow. How could you miss it? Looks like Saori was right whe she looked for a tank in a parking lot in episode 2 but didn't try to look hard enough.
Dec 14, 2012 5:23 AM
Nov 2012
hudang said:
SayuriUliana said:
Episode 10 Preview Pics

where's the tiger????

i want my tiger now..
looks from the preview still no tiger.. sigh..

Sad to see no Tiger yet, well it's confirm that Maho has a Tiger, Wittmen's want. So can we conclude from the girls enthusiasm that they want ja?

Will post a thorough reply wants I reach my laptop
Dec 14, 2012 7:23 AM

Jul 2011
Damn, i should have memorizing the team's name before watching this episode, had to watch one more time to understand the battle strategy <_<

Still, i enjoyed this episode, the battles are exciting as always, really liked the first person view on the tank.
Dec 14, 2012 8:29 AM
Jun 2009
That blonde girl is so cute ~
Dec 14, 2012 8:53 AM

Sep 2012
The following were found in a Taiwan anime forum.

Dec 14, 2012 9:28 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:

There is a famous old time baseball player who when asked about his remarkable talent of hitting the baseball responded: "Keep your eye clear, and hit 'em where they ain't"

In this case you can modify it to: "Hit em where they ain't expecting". Katyusha strikes me as the type of person who would have told her teams what to do, so they would have been geared to implement the trap strategy (or defend the flag), so when Miho didn't do either, no one knew what to do, and the rest of the team was too scared to take initiative.

In a way this fits into Hana's beef with Flower Arrangement: everyone plays it safe, no one is bold anymore because everyone is afraid of doing the wrong thing.
Dec 14, 2012 10:21 AM
Nov 2012
SayuriUliana said:
Episode 10 Preview Pics

Okay, Let's see an enthusiastic 1st year student (Where is Autism-chan) and Momo. Sadoko announcing something and the mysterious three girls make an appearance. The grey hair girl with...Ahem...High School of the Dead like 'chest', The eyepatch girl with waaay to small of a clothes to fit her , And the blond girl who reminds me of Sako from Upotte, could be a foreigner from the Nordic.

Hana's mother appears to be calm, hope she finally accept her daughters decision to go for Panzerfarhen. Can't say the same for Miho's mom. And the History team is fixing their Stug III's tracks, tough lass, those are seriously tough jobs. And the Volleyball girl team. Kinda pity them, they are brave and highly motivated, but in a all so vulnerable Type 89.

Anyways the Type-3 Chi Nu makes it's appearance in a Parking lot?. A little check reveals the tank was design to combat M4 Shermans during a possible invasion of the Japanese home island. The Chi-nu is the most powerful tank in regular production of the Imperial Japanese Army and it's 75mm gun has around the same penetration as Miho's PzKpfw IV F1's 75mm L/43 or M3 75mm on early M4 Shermans. Maximum armor at 50mm is poor though. Well it's a better tank than the Type 89 [any tanks of WW2 is better than the 89].

But Black Forest peak, if i'am not mistaken , widely uses the same Panzer IV F1 s Miho's along with the Tigers and possibly Panthers. And it will most likely be a mountainous snowy terrain judging from the Garpan Op [Right after the Volleyball girls part], quite tough to say because they also show Saunders fighting on the beach . Looking at previous battle of Miho , there are odds of Miho winning with her unconventional style tactics. But against her sister that knows her through and through, Expect Climax and cliffhangers.
Dec 14, 2012 11:19 AM

Oct 2012
Jyuu-niDesu wrote:
Well it's a better tank than the Type 89 [any tanks of WW2 is better than the 89].

Before you decide, check out the 7TP tank. Yukari is a big fan of the 7TP since she was wearing a pink t-shirt saying 7TP when the three girls went to visit Mako's grandma in the hospital. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7TP

Apparently the 7TP did see extensive action during the war. When I say "extensive action" I don't mean that it was used for many years. I don't thnk there was any battle when the 7TP came up against the Type 89 so we'll never know for sure which was the better tank.

7 stands for seven tons, even though it was actually a bit heavier.
T stands for tank
P stands for Polish
okanaganDec 14, 2012 11:24 AM
Dec 14, 2012 12:08 PM
Nov 2012
okanagan said:
Jyuu-niDesu wrote:
Well it's a better tank than the Type 89 [any tanks of WW2 is better than the 89].

Before you decide, check out the 7TP tank. Yukari is a big fan of the 7TP since she was wearing a pink t-shirt saying 7TP when the three girls went to visit Mako's grandma in the hospital. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7TP

Apparently the 7TP did see extensive action during the war. When I say "extensive action" I don't mean that it was used for many years. I don't thnk there was any battle when the 7TP came up against the Type 89 so we'll never know for sure which was the better tank.

7 stands for seven tons, even though it was actually a bit heavier.
T stands for tank
P stands for Polish

I may have to correct that the Type 89 is the weakest tank of WW2. A further research shows that the Renault FT[first tanks with full rotating turrets] and Vickers 6-ton was available at the start of WW2 in 1939 though in limited numbers.The Polish and the Japanese tanks are based on a British Vickers design albeit the polish was a newer variant. Both have 17mm of maximum armor but the Japanese has a lower velocity but larger gun, a 57mm. Not much info about the Japanese's 57mm. Both tanks were among the first to used diesel engines.

It also turns out that Panzer I are even weaker than the Type 89 having just 14mm and 2 MG15 7mm machine guns. The Imperial Japanese Army never gave much interest to armored vehicles. The Type 3 Chi-Nu that will appear in ep 1o will be the most powerful tank the Japanese will ever mass produced though there were more powerful Type 4/5 that were in the prototype and design stage.

Interestingly the Japanese also envision a super large tank during the early years of the war. code name O-I, weighing in at 120 tonnes and comparable to the largest tank in the world in size, the gigantic Pzkpfw VII Maus. It would have a 105mm guns and 2 rocket launchers. Also 2 smaller 37mm guns in twin turret(like the 7TP TT) in front of the main armament and 7 machine guns. armor would have been 200mm(twice the Tiger's!).Power comes from two V12 diesel engine.Rumor has it that one prototype was completed and sent to Manchuria although this is unconfirmed.

It would have been mad, the O-I, on the battlefield. But this is nothing compared to the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte!! Insanity at it's peak.
Dec 14, 2012 12:48 PM
Oct 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:
Interestingly the Japanese also envision a super large tank during the early years of the war. code name O-I, weighing in at 120 tonnes and comparable to the largest tank in the world in size, the gigantic Pzkpfw VII Maus. It would have a 105mm guns and 2 rocket launchers. Also 2 smaller 37mm guns in twin turret(like the 7TP TT) in front of the main armament and 7 machine guns. armor would have been 200mm(twice the Tiger's!).Power comes from two V12 diesel engine.Rumor has it that one prototype was completed and sent to Manchuria although this is unconfirmed.

It would have been mad, the O-I, on the battlefield. But this is nothing compared to the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte!! Insanity at it's peak.

Thank you for that tank information, that was fascinating and confirmed something that I was talking last night to my wife about. The Japanese military obsession with size (and how I think it really hurt them in the war).

Japan had limited access to resources, but they spent a ton of them on making the biggest battleships in the world (Yamato and Musashi), the largest submarines of the war
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-400_class_submarine (fascinating history there),
and were in the process of creating the largest aircraft carrier of the war (which was sunk by a single torpedo, which sort of shows the stupidity of the bigger was better philosophy). That this also applied to the Army really doesn't come as a surprise, but I had never thought to apply it to find out. So again thank you very much.

On a side note, this is a good deal of information about the possibility of Japan being fairly close (at least closer than Germany) in creating an atomic bomb. The factory was located in what is now North Korea and was dismantled and taken back to the USSR by the triumphant Soviets. This I believe has never been followed up on, so it is just a rumor, though a very possible one (few people realize how good Japanese science was before the war).

A piece of the rumor was a German Uboat that made a mad dash for Japan the days before Germany surrender. There is a lot of belief that it contained Germany's fissionable uranium supplies (as well as other treasures). Of course it was sunk so we will never know.

About Germany Technology Transfers to Japan:
http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/KRUPP%20KUGELPANZER.htm
Dec 14, 2012 1:34 PM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

Thank you for that tank information, that was fascinating and confirmed something that I was talking last night to my wife about. The Japanese military obsession with size (and how I think it really hurt them in the war).

Japan had limited access to resources, but they spent a ton of them on making the biggest battleships in the world (Yamato and Musashi), the largest submarines of the war
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-400_class_submarine (fascinating history there),
and were in the process of creating the largest aircraft carrier of the war (which was sunk by a single torpedo, which sort of shows the stupidity of the bigger was better philosophy). That this also applied to the Army really doesn't come as a surprise, but I had never thought to apply it to find out. So again thank you very much.

On a side note, this is a good deal of information about the possibility of Japan being fairly close (at least closer than Germany) in creating an atomic bomb. The factory was located in what is now North Korea and was dismantled and taken back to the USSR by the triumphant Soviets. This I believe has never been followed up on, so it is just a rumor, though a very possible one (few people realize how good Japanese science was before the war).

A piece of the rumor was a German Uboat that made a mad dash for Japan the days before Germany surrender. There is a lot of belief that it contained Germany's fissionable uranium supplies (as well as other treasures). Of course it was sunk so we will never know.

About Germany Technology Transfers to Japan:
http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/KRUPP%20KUGELPANZER.htm

Before becoming panzer mad, I was more into naval history, especially Battleship.

People keep bragging about Yamato's size and awesome power, and how it would do in a one to one engagement of a North Caroline or Iowa class battleship. I would leave that away. What fascinate me is how Japan even built the Yamato. their industrial might and logistics were never close to that of the Germans or Americans, but the Yamato really proof of how good the planners of the Yamato were.

The 3rd of the Yamato's, the IJN Shinano aircraft carrier, is based upon the yamato's hull. It would become the biggest and heaviest aircraft carrier to be built in world war 2. But the Shinano revealed a flaw in the Yamato's design. the armor is not fixed or welded properly causing it to fail in a simple torpedo strike.

I don't think the Imperial Japanese military were obsessed with size. More with power. In an age where bigger is better, bigger brings power. The Yamato was actually shorter than a similar Iowa class but twice the mass. It has twice the armor and a huge 18in gun [biggest naval gun ever]. The I-400 was big because it needed to fit 3 dive-bombers inside which made it the largest diesel-electric submarine even to this day. The Japanese did invent small military force. The Japanese midget sub is only 25m long yet it terrorizes Sydney. Their tanks were definitely small.

Living in a former Japanese occupied country, you can here much of Japanese brutality. I don't know much about nuclear program in Japan, but the Japanese did tried to produce nerve agent for counter attack in the Americas. using the I-400 to send planes to west coast of America and gassing the cities. The worst part is how they tried this gas on humans in manchuria.

I have encountered people who said that it was the Japanese fault for the brutality, in which to I reply is a human fault. No one should has the right to put the japanese at the center of all the war crimes. Japan just happen to be dictated by the wrong humans. The Japanese people have worked hard to built their country from a war torn hell hole to a buzzing country that is the 3rd largest economy, and I applaud that. [Funny enough, The German and the Japanese tried to conquer europe and asia respectively in WW2,yet today they conquered it economically] Are you living in Japan?, If you are, hope for a speedy recovery to the recent disaster.

I love Japan and Japanese culture( where the majority of people here has switch to Korean) and until I can get enough cash, hope to go there one day....ta
Dec 14, 2012 2:23 PM
Oct 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:
People keep bragging about Yamato's size and awesome power, and how it would do in a one to one engagement of a North Caroline or Iowa class battleship. I would leave that away.

Ah, a pointless spec battle. Similar to tanks, the differences were small enough to be more than offset by other factors, so its an endless and winless argument.

Jyuu-niDesu said:
Living in a former Japanese occupied country, you can here much of Japanese brutality. I don't know much about nuclear program in Japan, but the Japanese did tried to produce nerve agent for counter attack in the Americas. using the I-400 to send planes to west coast of America and gassing the cities. The worst part is how they tried this gas on humans in manchuria.

I have encountered people who said that it was the Japanese fault for the brutality, in which to I reply is a human fault. No one should has the right to put the japanese at the center of all the war crimes. Japan just happen to be dictated by the wrong humans. The Japanese people have worked hard to built their country from a war torn hell hole to a buzzing country that is the 3rd largest economy, and I applaud that. [Funny enough, The German and the Japanese tried to conquer europe and asia respectively in WW2,yet today they conquered it economically] Are you living in Japan?, If you are, hope for a speedy recovery to the recent disaster.

I love Japan and Japanese culture( where the majority of people here has switch to Korean) and until I can get enough cash, hope to go there one day....ta

Having not experienced first or second hand Japanese brutality, I am a little hesitant to speak on such a topic, but I would agree that for European countries (including the US and other Anglophone countries) to blame Japan is more than a bit hypocritical. During the Boxer Rebellion, the Japanese forces were the most professional army, the European forces were beyond brutal. This, as well as the Russo-Japanese war taught them how to play the Imperialism game. And they were apt students.

But this is not to say that the Japanese were not brutal, they had lived under one of the most totalitarian regimes for nearly 350 years. The Meiji era brought material benefits, but did nothing to loosen control the elites held on the country. Thousands of Japanese were shot before the war to preserve the elite, the army was also pretty much given carte blache to terrorize any civilian who dared stepped out of line (the nail that stands up gets smashed down). One of the reason the drafted Japanese soldier and civilians were so scared of surrendering was because they knew how their army acted and could only imagine others being worse.

Indeed the entire Japanese war plan after Midway was to throw as many Japanese they could at the allies in the hope of causing enough damage to preserve the Japanese elite who remained safely hidden. The greatest regret I have is that the US didn't execute Showa for war crimes, in many ways the military who were killed were scapegoats (not saying that they didn't deserve it, but that some people who skated deserved it more).

I agree with your sentiments that blaming Japan today is a bit misplaced, however speaking from an outsider, I can understand the bitterness that those countries have. At the same time, it is uncomfortable to see governments using anti-Japanese sentiment not to express legitimate rage, but to further their own petty governance. This is particularly true of China. They still venerate Mao, who, despite the legends, collaborated with the Japanese in order to weaken the Nationalists, and then subjected the Chinese people to even worse brutality than the Japanese. Truth and reconciliation is needed, but if there isn't going to be truth, there will never be reconciliation. But again this is easy for me as an outsider to say, the reality for people who lived through it is something I have no right to deny. I can only state my opinion.

I am curious though where you are from. The phrase "switch to Korean" I think is interesting, since it suggests you are not Korean but decided to speak Korean. Are you by chance from the Manchurian region of China near the Korean border? If you are actually Korea may I ask where? I visited there twice, have wonderful memories of it.
Dec 14, 2012 2:27 PM
Nov 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:

Interestingly the Japanese also envision a super large tank during the early years of the war. code name O-I, weighing in at 120 tonnes and comparable to the largest tank in the world in size, the gigantic Pzkpfw VII Maus. It would have a 105mm guns and 2 rocket launchers.

A couple of corrections. The Panzer VII is actually the Lowe (Lion), while the Maus is the Panzer VIII. Also, while the Maus was certainly one of the larger tanks ever produced, it's far from the largest: the title would belong to the French Char 2C, which is slightly larger in physical dimensions. The Maus does have the title of being the heaviest AFV ever developed.
Dec 14, 2012 4:08 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
SayuriUliana said:
A couple of corrections. The Panzer VII is actually the Lowe (Lion), while the Maus is the Panzer VIII. Also, while the Maus was certainly one of the larger tanks ever produced, it's far from the largest: the title would belong to the French Char 2C, which is slightly larger in physical dimensions. The Maus does have the title of being the heaviest AFV ever developed.
If I recall, the Lowe was never built. While two proto-types of the Maus were built, neither left the testing grounds nor were they ever combat ready, much less see action.
Dec 14, 2012 4:10 PM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

Having not experienced first or second hand Japanese brutality, I am a little hesitant to speak on such a topic, but I would agree that for European countries (including the US and other Anglophone countries) to blame Japan is more than a bit hypocritical. During the Boxer Rebellion, the Japanese forces were the most professional army, the European forces were beyond brutal. This, as well as the Russo-Japanese war taught them how to play the Imperialism game. And they were apt students.

But this is not to say that the Japanese were not brutal, they had lived under one of the most totalitarian regimes for nearly 350 years. The Meiji era brought material benefits, but did nothing to loosen control the elites held on the country. Thousands of Japanese were shot before the war to preserve the elite, the army was also pretty much given carte blache to terrorize any civilian who dared stepped out of line (the nail that stands up gets smashed down). One of the reason the drafted Japanese soldier and civilians were so scared of surrendering was because they knew how their army acted and could only imagine others being worse.

Indeed the entire Japanese war plan after Midway was to throw as many Japanese they could at the allies in the hope of causing enough damage to preserve the Japanese elite who remained safely hidden. The greatest regret I have is that the US didn't execute Showa for war crimes, in many ways the military who were killed were scapegoats (not saying that they didn't deserve it, but that some people who skated deserved it more).

I agree with your sentiments that blaming Japan today is a bit misplaced, however speaking from an outsider, I can understand the bitterness that those countries have. At the same time, it is uncomfortable to see governments using anti-Japanese sentiment not to express legitimate rage, but to further their own petty governance. This is particularly true of China. They still venerate Mao, who, despite the legends, collaborated with the Japanese in order to weaken the Nationalists, and then subjected the Chinese people to even worse brutality than the Japanese. Truth and reconciliation is needed, but if there isn't going to be truth, there will never be reconciliation. But again this is easy for me as an outsider to say, the reality for people who lived through it is something I have no right to deny. I can only state my opinion.

I am curious though where you are from. The phrase "switch to Korean" I think is interesting, since it suggests you are not Korean but decided to speak Korean. Are you by chance from the Manchurian region of China near the Korean border? If you are actually Korea may I ask where? I visited there twice, have wonderful memories of it.

Great insight into what I now know is a difficult Japanese history. Of course hindsight would tell us that the Japanese were fighting based on ideology and belief. The entire plan was to 'scare' the Americans. But banzai charging dose't really scare anybody with BAR. Much like a the Chinese during the Boxer rebellion where they thought they can protect themselves against bullets with Kung Fu.

I'am residing in a very small and probably unknown to the west.Nope, not Korea, sorry. K-pop and Korean cultures, not to mention Korean products have replaced Japanese as the most popular foreign culture over here in tropical and sunny South East Asia. The Imperial Japanese actually landed here on the same day as the attack Pearl Harbor as the advance south to Singapore. We had our fair shares of brutality from the Japanese, but also from communist forces.

As a Chinese [yes but still can't speak the language fluently] you here many stories about brutality which I have to sympathize, but the conclusion drawn saying that it was entirely Japanese has to be rejected. I am trying to learn Kanji now, in hopes it will boost both my Japanese and Mandarin.

SayuriUliana said:

As expected from you, thanks for the correction. The Book I'am referencing from just said Pzkpfw Maus, but I remembered the Maus was after the Tiger Ausf B which is under PzkPfw VI. So naturally assume is VII.
The Char 2C weighs 70+tonnes while the Maus is at 170 tonnes. Oh but is bigger in dimension....I see, but by a few cm in length and the Maus is still wider. But the 2C still have a poorer armor and armament than the Maus or even the Tiger I.
Dec 14, 2012 5:41 PM

Oct 2012
Hi Symbv,

Thanks for sharing those two images from the Taiwan anime forum. I always find it very hard to follow the details of the GaruPan battles just from watching the show, so this kind of map depiction is excellent to see. The tanks move too quickly for me to know what is happening. Those two maps seem to be a proper analysis from the point of view of a staff officer. I tried hard to find any anime discussion forum in Taiwanese without success. There are too many search engine hits from China. Please point us to this forum. Also, a question directed to everybody: What is known about tanks in Taiwan and Taiwanese armoured divisions during the second world war? There is a famous story that all the army generals in Washington wanted to invade Taiwan. However, Douglas MacArthur insisted on attacking the Philippines because he had already promised, "I shall return." I don't have an opinion about the best strategy.
okanaganDec 14, 2012 6:18 PM
Dec 14, 2012 5:52 PM
Oct 2012
Taiwan was a Japanese colony from 1895-1945, so there was no such thing as a Taiwanese tank.

Invading Formosa as it was called was an alternative to invading Philippines? May not have been a bad idea, but I haven't studied it. Would have cut off a great deal of Japanese shipping, and maybe made the invasion of Okinawa unnecessary, plus dealt a blow to Japanese forces in Southeast Asian and China, but not sure of the logistics that would have entailed.
Takuan_SohoDec 14, 2012 8:52 PM
Dec 14, 2012 8:45 PM

Apr 2007
Episode was intense. Loved it!
Dec 14, 2012 8:50 PM
Oct 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:
I'am residing in a very small and probably unknown to the west.Nope, not Korea, sorry. K-pop and Korean cultures, not to mention Korean products have replaced Japanese as the most popular foreign culture over here in tropical and sunny South East Asia. The Imperial Japanese actually landed here on the same day as the attack Pearl Harbor as the advance south to Singapore. We had our fair shares of brutality from the Japanese, but also from communist forces.

Humm, you have raised my curiosity, and like the girl in Hyouka that isn't a wise thing to do :-)

Okay, you gave me a clue that I could use Wikipedia to check (fall of Singapore), but that would be cheating, so I am going to work it out myself. You didn't say that the island was a country, so Penang in Malaysia would be my first guess. Large ethnic Chinese population, but at the same time not overly Chinese. Malaysia in the 50's had a serious communist problem that was eventually put down by the British, and being a former British colony that would explain your good English. I haven't been to Malaysia since 1995, and unfortunately missed Penang (but I did visit Tioman Island, another possibility since it is pretty close to Singapore it would be my second guess) but they were heavy into Japanese goods and culture then, but I can easily imagine them having switched to Korean by now.

How is that for a guess?

Of course Penang isn't exactly a small island, so that would be a strike against it against it. Tioman would more fit the bill, but it isn't exactly unknown to the west (South Pacific is set on the Island). It shouldn't be one of the Thai islands like Koh Samui or Koh Samet, since the Japanese didn't (I believe really pressing my memory) occupy Thailand, outside of the part needed to support their operations in Burma (i.e. the Bridge over the River Kwai (Okangan, another great war movie there)).

An island in the Philippines is a possibility, but that seem more opposed to the fact pattern you provided. But there are more than enough Chinese there that would match your personal pattern. Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia should all be out due to their history of Chinese purges.
Dec 14, 2012 10:22 PM

Nov 2009
To okanagan or anyone who can read Japanese

There is rumor that that will air 10.5 in place of ep.11 for some reason
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-13420.html

What do you guys think?
Dec 14, 2012 10:25 PM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

Humm, you have raised my curiosity, and like the girl in Hyouka that isn't a wise thing to do :-)

Okay, you gave me a clue that I could use Wikipedia to check (fall of Singapore), but that would be cheating, so I am going to work it out myself. You didn't say that the island was a country, so Penang in Malaysia would be my first guess. Large ethnic Chinese population, but at the same time not overly Chinese. Malaysia in the 50's had a serious communist problem that was eventually put down by the British, and being a former British colony that would explain your good English. I haven't been to Malaysia since 1995, and unfortunately missed Penang (but I did visit Tioman Island, another possibility since it is pretty close to Singapore it would be my second guess) but they were heavy into Japanese goods and culture then, but I can easily imagine them having switched to Korean by now.

How is that for a guess?

Of course Penang isn't exactly a small island, so that would be a strike against it against it. Tioman would more fit the bill, but it isn't exactly unknown to the west (South Pacific is set on the Island). It shouldn't be one of the Thai islands like Koh Samui or Koh Samet, since the Japanese didn't (I believe really pressing my memory) occupy Thailand, outside of the part needed to support their operations in Burma (i.e. the Bridge over the River Kwai (Okangan, another great war movie there)).

An island in the Philippines is a possibility, but that seem more opposed to the fact pattern you provided. But there are more than enough Chinese there that would match your personal pattern. Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia should all be out due to their history of Chinese purges.

What a coincidence, I tried to made my answer hidden. Well won't be a Jerry Bruckheimer any time soon.
Actually, you got it right and you elaborate it furture still. residing in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia actually. Pinang is where all the good food of Malaysian along with Taiping maybe. Well like Singapore, the youth of yesteryear over here were all heavy into Japanese culture, It's pretty much all replaced with Korean culture.

Tioman, just went snorkeling the other month, and got this nasty cut. Beautiful reef though. But the Island dose't have any connecting roads. The villages are dotted around the island while the people access from one part to the other via boat.

Well anyways, your guess is spot on.
Dec 14, 2012 11:07 PM

Oct 2012
In Post #195 Marina2 wrote:

My ability to understand Japanese is extremely limited. I can only recognize a small fraction and then I just try to connect the dots. Right now I don't want to spread misinformation for fear of setting off a worldwide rash of suicides.

A lot of that webpage that you mentioned looks sort of like they are asking whether the rumour is true or not.

Maybe a key clue is this very brief tweet that GaruPan Director Tsutomu Mizushima (水島努) sent out 18 hours ago:

根本的な、私の戦略ミスだ。

Using Google Translate, ( http://translate.google.com/#ja/en/ ) what I get from this is

Fundamental, My Strategy Miss It.

You can see there is not too much specific there! He hasn't tweeted anything else since.

You can check for new tweets coming out . . .

From GaruPan director: https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari
From GaruPan producers: https://twitter.com/garupan

I love an old OVA about a twenty-year-old woman ( Mikiko Ooguro / 大黑みきこ ) who just started her new job as a production manager in a small anime company. However, she ran into a lot of problems since all of the animators were so difficult to deal with. After an exhausting day at the studio, she comes home to watch the TV news. Then unexpectedly she sees her face on the TV screen. Have a look at 06:25 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPq2TGDMbZY
okanaganDec 15, 2012 2:25 AM
Dec 15, 2012 12:49 AM

Jun 2009
Pretty damn awesome I have to say. Loved this battle scene and, yeah, Anzu's tank was particularly great. I guess that kind of strategy is useful in a contest where no ones life is at stake. I actually thought they would get away for a minute, but I'm glad they didn't.

The rest of the episode was pretty tense as well and the way it ended was cruel. The tension was palpable with how it cut back and forth between the Flagged Tanks. I thought that was some strong directing.

Anyway, after catching up to this series I've got to say that this is further proof that MAL ratings don't mean shit. I'm just glad Japan seems to be enjoying the series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 15, 2012 1:09 AM

Oct 2012
10.5 ? . . . . . CRISIS UPDATE . . .

Search on your own for online discussion about a possible Episode 10.5 by doing a Google search for

ガールズ&パンツァー "10.5"

and also specify to only return results within the past 24 hours. There is a lot of tweeting and posting going on.

- - - - - - -

Here is one I just found: http://jamberry.at.webry.info/201212/article_340.html
あちゃーパンチラ直してるからやっちまったな
It seems that this fan is speculating that it was necessary to fix some panties that were showing.
( Language students, note that パンチラ means panties. )

A number of people have expressed their surprise that there would be two summary episodes within a single three-month period.

Still nothing confirming or denying this in the tweets that have been coming out from the GaruPan producers.

No tweets at all from Mizushima-san in the past 21 hours.

Miho's voice actress tweeted that she bought some tea: https://twitter.com/fuchigami_mai/status/279602794737070082/photo/1
okanaganDec 15, 2012 2:07 AM
Dec 15, 2012 5:12 AM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
In Post #195 Marina2 wrote:

Maybe a key clue is this very brief tweet that GaruPan Director Tsutomu Mizushima (水島努) sent out 18 hours ago:
根本的な、私の戦略ミスだ。
Using Google Translate, ( http://translate.google.com/#ja/en/ ) what I get from this is
Fundamental, My Strategy Miss It.
Actually the translation should be "Fundamentally, my strategy mistake". ミス is Japanese word for "mistake" (and sometimes "miss" too).

In fact two days before Mizushima tweeted that, he also tweeted this:
あっぷあっぷヽ(>;Д<;)ノ
(it was also included in the yaraon blog quoted above)

You are right, the rumor of ep10.5 is getting quite a lot of attention in Japan, as that tweet from Director Mizushima seems to indicate something really bad. And that link you quoted in turned quotes from another blog: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/nanamibeya/20121214/p2 in which the blog writer claimed to have called various TV station to confirm the schedule of TV anime broadcast from 2013 Jan, and seemed to get information that there may be a Ep.10.5. GirlPan earlier secured a slot for ep.12 after the unexpected ep.5.5 but if now there is a ep.10.5, the slot will be given to ep.11 and then there comes the question of when and where ep.12 is to be broadcast !!
symbvDec 15, 2012 5:25 AM

Dec 15, 2012 5:21 AM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
I tried hard to find any anime discussion forum in Taiwanese without success. There are too many search engine hits from China. Please point us to this forum.
You can read Chinese? Anyway, I did not get that from a Taiwan forum but in 2ch and the poster said he got it from some Taiwan forum, so I do not know the exact source of the Taiwan forum.

Jyuu-niDesu said:
I'am residing in a very small and probably unknown to the west.Nope, not Korea, sorry. K-pop and Korean cultures, not to mention Korean products have replaced Japanese as the most popular foreign culture over here in tropical and sunny South East Asia.
I can corroborate that K-Pop has taken South East Asia by storm in recent years as this is what people who are from there told me. That said, top selling Japanese idols like AKB48 and boys groups from Johnny's still command a lot of popularity. But on the other hand, there seem to be more Korean TV drama doing the rounds these day than Japanese stuff. And then there is the clear ascendency of Korean electronics and cars in many emerging countries including South East Asia. The stuff can be cheaper and has just as many functions and as reliable, so many people now buy Korean branded products.

Takuan_Soho said:
it is uncomfortable to see governments using anti-Japanese sentiment not to express legitimate rage, but to further their own petty governance. This is particularly true of China. They still venerate Mao, who, despite the legends, collaborated with the Japanese in order to weaken the Nationalists
I am not sure collaboration is the proper word, to me it is more like exploitation of any opportunity to expand even if it means neglecting any travails on the Nationalists side. Sad thing is this kind of situation also happened on the Nationalist side too.

As I do not want to get drawn into discussion of politics here, I just want to keep it short. While there may be legitimate criticism of the Chinese government about their using anti-Japanese sentiment, such sentiment is real and strong in many places of China. I would not doubt that even if the current regime in China should one day be replaced by a non-Communist government, or even a democratically elected government, that sentiment will still stay strong and it will still push the government to confront Japan if it is perceived to be advancing its own nationalist agenda or whitewashing its brutal history of war and occupation. Just look at the rise of strongly nationalist parties in Japan, and the number of politicians publicly denying or doubting Nanjing Massacre (actually even more worrying is how books denying Nanjing Massacre or brutality of Japanese military in occupied territory sell very well in Japan), not to say the number of politicians, including a number of prime ministers, visiting Yasukuni Shrine while in office. I would just leave it here as this kind of topic can easily trigger a long argument.

To lighten the mood, I love this creation by fans in 2ch:
symbvDec 15, 2012 6:02 AM

Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

okanagan - Mar 25, 2013

274 by aimso1 »»
May 19, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 8, 2012

250 by shawn77134 »»
May 12, 2:33 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

symbv - Oct 29, 2012

243 by Abeke »»
Mar 14, 7:00 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

symbv - Mar 18, 2013

167 by giannis85 »»
Jan 21, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2012

191 by giannis85 »»
Jan 18, 4:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.