Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 17, 2017 5:20 AM
Jan 2017
I wanted to add that Kino's Journey being an introspective and philosophic anime, the ending (which takes place somewhere in the middle of her journey: due to the appearance of her second gun) that showed a town that mirrored her own past but was later destroyed, seemed to be a metaphor for Kino's ego dying. Right after the town is destroyed Kino stares in despair and then claims: "This is the ego..." so we can also conclude that Kino wanted to actually stay in her ego for longer than 3 days. Which was a surprise to her and Hermes, but she was ultimately not allowed to. The ego had to be destroyed.

Her real name Sakura also appearing may also back up this theory, as she has chosen a different name and identity with the name Kino. The little girl's parents at the end that ask Sakura if she would like to go on a journey, but she decided to stay even with knowing she will die, was showing Kino's choice to let her ego die. So even though Kino wants to change her mind and stay, it is not apart of her journey, she must move on and let go of her past.

This is what I understood from the journey. 10/10
SullysoonjaJan 17, 2017 5:30 AM
Feb 7, 2017 7:21 PM

Jan 2012
Snow-Drop said:
TowardsTheStars said:
I thought Kino was going to die like the original Kino, but that was not the case.

7/10

So you want her to die before you give this anime a higher rating, what an amazing person.

lol i know it's old post but that was funny

ot : unique and atmospheric got that mushishi vibes in some eps.

Jul 1, 2017 8:34 AM

Oct 2012
I guess.. Kino's real name is a bit similiar like Sakura's?
Awwww, Sakura knew :(
Bittersweet end again I guess
Not what I liked, but people seems to like it

Yabusaki Aoi, first voice acting role xD
She sounds so different
Now she's going to act as the new Kino
Can't wait for it!
"Signature removed"
Aug 31, 2017 6:26 AM

Jul 2015
Ouch, that was sad, at least they made happy their last visitors.

8.5/10 from my part, good stuff, looking forward for the upcoming anime!
Sep 6, 2017 11:35 AM

Mar 2008
beautiful episode and a wonderful anime, really enjoyed it.
Sep 8, 2017 4:05 PM
Jan 2012
This was my favorite episode. The bond between Kino and Sakura was so real and beautiful, they really connected with each other. The tragic ending was unfortunate, but I came to expect this considering almost all episodes have a fair share of tragedy.

I wonder if Kino's real name is Sakura.

Wonderful series. I really liked the two leads, Kino and Hermes.
Sep 21, 2017 12:52 PM

Sep 2012
It was a quite good ending, but Kino not interfering with things when it's easy (remember the 3 train guys?) but interfering with things like who will make the new rule for the kingdom and assassinating the king? Pretty inconstistent. All in all, it was a great journey. Low 8/10
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Sep 28, 2017 6:26 AM

Oct 2015
What an ending, didn't expect it to be so heartbreaking :/
Sep 29, 2017 3:31 PM
Jul 2018
I can't describe how good this show is! Since episode 4, the love for this show grew me for stronger...

9/10. Might consider revisiting this show again in future to invoke my nostalgic feeling..

EDIT: It's thanks to this show, now I understand the meaning of watching 'relaxing/atmospheric' show.

removed-userSep 29, 2017 3:34 PM
Oct 13, 2017 11:30 AM

Sep 2015
Quite the finale there. It was both a surprisingly pretty. The world sure can be beautiful type town story. And an intensely dark and tragic one. Hit all the notes a Kino "finale" should. This kind of story should be familiar to anime fans. Not the strongest example. But I remember when Avatar the Last Airbender and Dragon Quest VII did their shadow of a volcano story. But Kino's approach to it was pretty novel and in keeping with this weird little series.

I love how Kino again makes a rare judgment call. I almost thought the series was praising their decision to die rather than uproot. And Kino's bitter declaration that it was just egotism sticks with me. I like how the letter she got from the little girl didn't make it anymore poetic or resonant. It was just a senseless tragedy. Caused by a population unwilling to change with the times.

Kino was a wild journey of a series. At the risk of using the most cliche terms imaginable. It had a few stories that didn't click with me as much. But it was at various points. Emotionally wrenching. Fascinating in its folk tale approach to narrative. And quite trippy when it wanted to be. Both in its eclectic stories. And its animation and presentation style. I give it a 9/10. Wish it had been a little longer. But what we got was damn near perfect.
Oct 14, 2017 1:24 AM

Dec 2015
this anime really just consist of kino's adventure , i was expecting some big plot , but none .
but her adventure is interesting to watch . gonna go watch the new 1 from lerche . but i doubt the story will be as interesting as this.
Oct 15, 2017 7:52 AM
Mar 2012
I like the episodic humanity themes, in the HellGirl/18if nature. At times rather subtle/vague, tho I wish some cultures got explored in more depth, while other episodes like the robot submerged country was too rushed. The food for thought is mostly fullfillingly melancholic with the atmospheric great osts, but didn't find it overall enjoyable somehow.
Animation action is short but fairly good & great edit timing, tho rather often a thought of how ugly the art is breaks my immersion. I've seen some old shows, but this is on par with nhk or denpa kyoushi in art. The cool cyberpunkish mecha designs is the saving grace.

Most episodes felt like absurd what-if's to the extreme, but it was ep5 railway workers that changed my mind. The blind futility of most labor is quite realistic & I felt a pang of sympathy. It's both painful yet I admire their loyal work attitude. Much of the visits are political/social satire commentary. So ep9 book=video games censorship. ep1 pretty much predicts the modern human coldness after social network boom.
This episode is a beautiful & sad end, more exploration into self consciousness, ego, self will as Sakura reflected & morality. Also ties to many characters across the episodes, how they behave before they die. Sakura on a similar barrel & situation as Kino's meeting with the guy brings an odd sense of nostalgia & regret.
Nov 7, 2017 3:39 AM

Apr 2017
I almost cried at this episode too. This was a great episode to end this series. Kino felt bad for herself, she couldn't save the country. If I was a traveler, I would prefer to live there. All those people have been blessed such as well-behaved attitude and a wonderful community.
Dec 27, 2017 11:35 PM
Jun 2013
oh come on two downer episodes at once and not only that its one thats a mirror version of her old town but actually decent. I still think its pretty dumb to stay in a spot knowing you will die. Why not just move a little and rebuild. You even let your kids die. This was so depressing it actually made kino snap. A very good series with like one eh episode. I wished it ended on a happier note though instead of this depressing one.
Jan 21, 2018 2:01 AM

Nov 2013
I really enjoyed this series, I regret not picking it up back then but oh my god this episode had me crying.
Feb 1, 2018 6:41 PM

May 2013
Sakura knew what was going to happen.

JerryKen10 said:
I almost cried at this episode too. This was a great episode to end this series. Kino felt bad for herself, she couldn't save the country. If I was a traveler, I would prefer to live there. All those people have been blessed such as well-behaved attitude and a wonderful community.

They had a reputation for being assholes until they learned about their fate.

Damn.. Kino found a utopian version of her home town and it all fell apart.

It was ego, they put the place and buildings over the people and their own lives.
Apr 5, 2018 9:30 AM
Oct 2017
hidden gem in the world of anime. 9/10
what actually is a signature?
Apr 22, 2018 1:04 AM

Mar 2016
kind of bothers me that there wasn't even one person who decided to skip town
then again they probably already left by the time kino arrived

overrated anime, but still good
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Aug 11, 2018 6:17 AM

Jul 2008
Just when I thought that there couldn't be any more types of tragedy...I was wrong. I get you love your country/city but if you are alive you can rebuild. I know, I've done it!

ARGH the ending leaves me frustrated...7/10 for the series though.
Sep 24, 2018 12:00 AM

Jan 2017
the sweetest, yet most tragic episode.
sakura was the only person during her travels whom she connected with on a personal level.
May 18, 2019 12:51 PM

Jul 2016
I liked the conclusion, even though the previous two episodes were rather uninteresting.
May 18, 2019 12:52 PM

Jul 2016
Overall, I give this episode a 4/5 or maybe a 5. It is pretty ironic, just when Kino wanted to stay, he cannot and is forced to travel. Fate really is harsh.
May 18, 2019 12:53 PM

Jul 2016
Overall, a pretty solid series. It had like three uninteresting episodes, but I can look past those. I will give this series an 8/10.
Jun 3, 2019 11:29 PM

Aug 2014
Kinos Journey 2003 is truly a unique experience.  A unique anime that doesnt hold back. 

This anime makes you want to watch each episode, mainly due to the "plot-twists" of each episode at the end.  Its captivating. 

HOWEVER, Because its an episodic anime, and it can be a bit slow paced, I recommend that you watch Kino's Journey 2003 in English dub.  It has a great English dub.   I can see why some people would be bored with this anime due to is episodic nature, and some episodes were "weak", which is why I recommend the English dub.  

A complaint that I have is that I would have liked if they had shown us Kino with her Master (the lady that appeared on episode 9) and I would have liked if the anime had expanded on how the Master taught Kino everything in terms of fighting and stuff.    I mean, the anime did show us the female MC Kino interacting and how she met the male Kino on episode 4, so it would have made sense if they had added an episode based on the Master as well (I know there is an OVA based on Master teaching Kino, but that should have been added to this TV series). 
oooo3333Mar 9, 2023 1:22 AM
Jul 7, 2019 5:34 PM

Sep 2018
I thought I've seen enough of sad / drama story of countries but this is devastating!! I'm so confused why there's nothing weird in this country but the last scene make my heart breaks </3 I really love how cute Sakura is!!! I feel sad for the people of that country :( they find their own happiness in that country so it's hard to leave it :(
Oct 3, 2019 7:11 AM
Jul 2018
My anti boring elitist taste side want to decrease my score for this anime but then again i realized that Kino and Hermes made a totally badass duo and Kino doesn't need any sex organ to pee.
Nov 14, 2019 8:30 AM

Sep 2018
meh, another so so episode, it was ok until the end, felt like it was being edgy for the sake of being edgy like a lot of these 00s animes.
As far as the anime as a whole, I was really enjoying it for the first 7 episodes, but after that two part story seemed to be where the show peaked and then it went down hill from there. Sad really.
Feb 29, 2020 11:41 AM

Nov 2016
A good show which was thought provoking but, like others here, I didn't like all the episodes. I feel like it went downhill after episode 5 but there were some good episodes after that too. 7/10
Feb 29, 2020 1:37 PM
Sep 2019
At the very beginning I thought I knew where this was going, i.e. Kino losing her life to help Sakura, and then the cycle would start again. But I was wrong. I think my idea was better lol.

The vulcano seems a bit convenient for plot sake - I have never looked for realism in this show, but how can you predict these kind of events so accurately, to the day? And in general I would have liked to see the elements of the story a bit more tied together - they simply realized overnight they had a bad reputation among travellers, and decided to change? Why the bad attitude in the first place?

Also, it would have been nice finding out more about the Master and her relationship with Kino. I though this last story would have been more personal. I don't know if at the time they were planning a season 2? Or maybe the answer is in the novels, who knows.
Still we saw Kino as never before, first considering to break her rule and staying there for longer, and then showing shock and pain for those people.

All in all, I really enjoy the series, even if enjoy may not be the correct term for this one. Still I felt it so close to me.
Mar 17, 2020 9:02 PM

Sep 2017
Very sweet final episode, did anyone else get North Korea vibes? It felt like it was maybe going to be a bit of a critique on their way of masquerading for tourists, but it turned out they were being genuine because they knew they were about to become Pompeii. But even still, it felt like things were off, why wouldn't they just tell the traveler that the volcano was going to blow at any minute...? I'm not exactly sure what the writers were going for there, but regardless, the moment Kino's attention was caught by the obviously genuine Sakura while all the adults were wayyy too excited to help Kino find a place to stay... that was such a wholesome moment.

Overrall, this show was very hit-or-miss, some episodes were deeply resonant, some were paper-thin and uninteresting (and took themselves too seriously), some were just kind of generic. And the art and animation were often lackluster, sometimes downright bad. There's an overall dinginess to it that I don't think was intentional, and the character models usually looked awkward. There were some nice moments visually, but they felt few and far between. I feel like I'd give this show a 6 because it has some episodes I'd say are 8s, maybe 9s (episode 1, 10) and also some episodes that are 4s, maybe 3s (episode 4, 5). Can't really judge it like a more serialized series.
Mar 22, 2020 7:45 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Damn that ending... it was really sad, poor Sakura.
This anime was truly a journey, loved how they show some "beautfiul worlds" with philosophy, 8/10 very good
Jul 8, 2020 6:57 AM

Jul 2017
A haunting episode, to cap off an amazing show. Glad to have rewatched this gem, tons of interesting and philosophical stories to tell and I enjoyed all of them. Fantastic directing too from the legend himself, Ryutaro Nakamura to capture the grim, adventurous and philosophical undertones beautifully.
Oct 25, 2020 6:36 AM

May 2016
Sad episode.
I saw the remake"the animation", 3 years ago. I remember that I cried when I saw this episode's remake :'(
I wasn't sure, but I did know the end, so 4/5
I wished to see 2003 version before the remake, but at this moment, I didn't find it.
I prefered episode's order of 2017, with Colloseum at the beginning, and Kino's origin at the end.
but the different storys choice was better on 2003
beware of crappy engrish
Nov 13, 2020 6:36 AM

Jun 2010
The way small things from previous episodes contribute here really make this a great finale to an episodic series; no mean feat. We see Kino get her semi-automatic pistol which was pointed out so emphatically in the climax of episode 2 aside from further appearances in other episodes, ensuring the audience won't forget it and so realize that this story takes place before others, implying Kino's lesser experience which sets her up to be blindsided by negative consequences of caring for people and might explain her more aloof attitude throughout most of the rest of the series. The consistency of Kino's three-day limit through the series gives weight to her wanting to stay longer; if it only came up a few times it'd be easier for the audience to forget how remarkable it is that she wants to disregard it this time.

The parallel between Kino and Sakura is very obvious due to the same scene of being jeered at for her name playing out as it did for Kino in episode 4. This implied similarity explains why they get along so well without anything else required; it also implies Sakura maybe should be like Kino and travel so there's a mite of tension when her parents suggest it and it's more meaningful when she declines. This adds something to the dynamic the audience learns later where her parents are trying to get her out of town so she survives the volcano and she knowingly gives up this chance.

My favorite small details:

-when Sakura is first shown she's wearing coveralls but wears a pretty dress to be Kino's tour guide, implying how seriously she's taking it.

-when Sakura brought Kino to her parent's hotel she was pushy about doing things herself, even shoving her father aside; this is because this is her only chance to run the hotel and care for a guest as she knows she only has two more days to live. Her parents' toleration of this otherwise disrespectful behavior makes sense in this context.

-at points when Sakura is showing Kino around she's shown wearing Kino's hat without explanation; this shows how remarkably well they're getting along. A child's curiosity in something like a hat and its owner's willingness to indulge is understandable without it being shown.
Jan 31, 2021 11:19 PM

Mar 2010
Dang it. Why did they stay. :( I feel bad for everyone of this country.
Mar 13, 2021 4:44 PM

Jul 2020
Damn I would watch more of this if I could. What a tragic way to end the series :/: Definitely not watching the newer version of this.
Apr 17, 2021 11:50 PM
Apr 2020
Kino No tabi was a masterpiece in all sense of the term. I loved the way humanity was depicted in all of the episodes. This last one was so sad that I almost cried, what an episode
Jun 16, 2021 1:46 PM

Jun 2019
My 19th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it an 8/10 rating.
Feb 4, 2022 3:30 AM

Dec 2018
unbelievable
absolutely majestic and heart wrenching
too many viewers get caught up in the end goal of things, they want a to contrive a clear meaning out of the episodes, or the series, and while that's all well and good for them they'll miss the real beauty in that the whole purpose of this show seems to be one of reflection and growth rather than some clean and fast interpretation and wrapping it up nice in a bow
absolute masterpiece
Feb 16, 2022 2:33 AM

Aug 2018
Very disturbing episode chosen as final one, if you think previous episode felt disturbing then this is on whole next level.

I really like episodes like these and wish more made me feel the same way in Kino no Tabi as a whole, but sadly it didn’t this show had super potential with its world building but didn’t manage to deliver to me at least as much as Mushishi did.
Apr 27, 2022 9:29 PM

Feb 2021
What an ending, leaving Kino in despair like that. I liked it
Apr 30, 2022 1:51 AM

Sep 2018
What a great little series this was, I was a little skeptical after the first episode, but everything afterwards was mostly brilliant. Intelligent story telling that draws you in with it's many underlying themes, mostly revolving around the human condition, 9/10.
Aug 7, 2022 9:25 PM
Sep 2013
As soon as we found a single good country to live in, it turned into barbecue, of all the countries this one seemed the most welcoming of all.
I think the moral is that people only improve their attitudes when they are close to death.

Now a general comment about the series:
Honestly I don't think this series deserves the score it has, I think 7 would be the perfect score, I don't know if it's because the anime is old and lacked very good things at the time, but I think that thought would be very flawed, since there are many much older works (not necessarily anime) that remain masterpieces.
The characters in the anime are not bad (main and secondary) but they often lacked emotion, such as Kino and Hermes, many times they were just elements being used to tell the story of the cities, and in the end I couldn't sympathize with the Kino and not Hermes, although I would be distressed if something happened to them, so I would say they are in between, neither good nor bad.
And although all the stories about the cities had a philosophical tone, I believe that many of them were even too fanciful, they lacked similarities with reality, this is important for the viewer not to think that something is very impossible to happen even if something is taken to fantasy.
The pace of the anime was kind of boring, there are several animes that explore these themes in much smarter ways and it's not boring at that level, for example mushishi.
I think this anime only received this grade for the "intellectual" atmosphere it has without taking into account the rest, and people who noticed this and commented on it, suffer hate.
My score is 7/10, I think the anime didn't manage to have a very good linearity and the pace was too slow, the anime was more episodic and couldn't tell a connected and linear story.

PT-BR

Logo quando encontramos um único país bom para se viver ele vira churrasco, de todos os países esse parecia o mais acolhedor de todos.
Acho que a moral é que as pessoas só melhoram suas atitudes quando estão próximas da morte.

Agora um comentário geral sobre a série:
Sinceramente eu não acho que essa serie mereça ter a pontuação que tem, acho que 7 seria a pontuação perfeita, não sei se é porque o anime é antigo e carecia de coisas muito boas na época, mas eu acho que esse pensamento seria muito falho, visto que tem muitas obras muito mais antigas (não necessariamente animes) que continuam sendo obras primas.
Os personagens do anime não são ruins (principais e secundários) mas muitas vezes careciam de emoção como por exemplo a Kino e o Hermes muitas vezes eles eram só elementos sendo usados para contar a história das cidades, e no final eu não consegui simpatizar com a Kino e nem com o Hermes, embora eu ficasse aflito se acontecesse algo com eles, então eu diria que eles são meio termo, nem bom, nem ruins.
E embora todas as histórias sobre as cidades tivessem um tom filosófico, acredito que muitas delas eram fantasiosas até de mais, careciam de semelhanças com a realidade, isso é importante para o telespectador não pensar que algo é muito impossível de acontecer mesmo sendo algo levado para fantasia.
O ritmo do anime era meio maçante de mais, existe vários animes que exploram esses temas de formas muito mais inteligentes e não chega a ser maçante nesse nível, por exemplo mushishi.
Acho que esse anime só recebeu essa nota pela atmosfera “intelectual” que ele tem sem levar em consideração o resto, e as pessoas que perceberam isso e comentam sobre, sofrem hate.
Minha pontuação fica 7/10, acho que o anime não conseguiu ter uma linearidade muito boa e o ritmo foi muito lento também, o anime foi mais episódico e não conseguiu contar uma historia conexa e linear.
Oct 2, 2022 12:00 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Opening and Ending songs were beautiful. I like this series, but the philosophy behind is just BS sometimes.

But this last episode, when on Earth has people ever know Pompeii (NOT EVEN HURRICANE WHERE IF YOU PREPARE YOU CAN SURVIVE) is happening and stays for it? The majority with even a married couple, cut this BS and just evacuate.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 19, 2022 3:26 AM

May 2021
damn it was pretty unexpected
Feb 7, 2023 9:43 AM
Jul 2020
a bittersweet ending.
Jul 4, 2023 12:35 PM

Dec 2022
Damn. A town that doesn't harbour some sort of heinous secret for once, and it gets totalled by a pyroclastic flow.

Fantastic anime. It can convey in two minutes what some series can't in multiple episodes. The artstyle is subdued and elegant, and both of the main characters are likeable. The insanity of some of the people in this anime did seem farfetched at times, but I can rationalise it being a product of the universe.

Shaded Horizon

Nov 27, 2023 9:31 PM
Jun 2021
It’s in the full series name but Kino’s Journey is beautiful, but also incredibly brutal and disturbing at times.

Kino’s Journey has been on my radar forever and it was about time I finally gave it a watch, and it did not disappoint at all. A really great series
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

153 by Extremo888 »»
May 8, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

99 by mySaudate »»
May 5, 6:29 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 15, 2008

84 by mySaudate »»
May 4, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

128 by Drakath_V »»
May 4, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kotori - Apr 15, 2008

179 by mySaudate »»
Apr 30, 5:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.